Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 832 | Hads: 5,506
3.52/5  rDev -18.3%

First, let me say that this is a good beer. However, I'm not sure why it has received the tremendously high scores it's received.

Appearance is good with a clear amber orange and a nice, albeit short lived, white thin head.

Nose is lovely and best part. Very assertive fresh ripe pineapple that just couldn't be more inviting.

Mouthfeel is medium creamy but a bit light on carbonation. I'd like more carbonation to balance the huge (although somewhat dull) hop bitterness in the taste/flavor profile.

Taste is where this one loses me. Not bad in that there is a big assertive hop bitterness. The trouble is that the bitterness has no brightness at all.

(I actually just also had a Zombie Dust which blew this one away in all respects, having the brightness of what I believe is Citra hops. Yes, I know that ZD is considered a different style but it drinks better in all respects, for example only, than this "designated" IPA).

In any event, the taste of this one is one dimensional - i.e., dull and boring bitter with no character; no charm and nothing really appealing.

Finish is equally dull bitter with low and flabby bitter tones.

I love big hoppy beer; big hoppy beer that is "bright" and more acidic, for lack of a better word. This is a decent beer but only a bit better than average. JMO (1,305 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Unfortunately, this fits into the category of big IIPAs that just go too far. Massive hop character but with a big caramel malt backbone that dominates in a way that is unnecessary and simply gratuitous. This is sad because the hop character itself balances piney and citrusy really well. (288 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle. 2013 Edition. Pours a clear copper with a rigid and slightly off-white colored head. This leaves behind rich sudsy lacing that sticks. The aroma has a strong herbal and piney presence with some underlying zesty green citrus character. Bready malt is pronounced along the back and gives this some thickness in the nostrils. The herbal flavors get stronger as this warms. The taste is sweet (and a little boozy) with malt and warmth. Heady herbal flavors drive this but there are some more aggressive notes of resins and fresh bitterness that run down the middle of the tongue and really hang in the finish. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied with a slick creamy feel and a bit of crispness that pops in the mouth. That alcohol is strong here, even getting a little stinging in spots. I really wanted to like this more but it ultimately just got to be a little too medicinal feeling with its boozy sweetness and strong herbal character. (943 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

bottled 7/08/13, so moderately fresh, kept room temperature at Hollingshed's in Santa Ana. LOVE that place.

a: beautiful autumn gold and a small tight head that lingers around and sticks to the glass, crystal clear. Small bubbles slowly making their way to the top of the glass.

s: smells just like my homebrewed pale ale and Port's mongo. You get tangerine, tangerine, tangerine. It's like a musty orange peel aroma, sweetness. No pine detected.

t: medium bitterness, alcohol heat, some tangerine. Bitterness and alcohol start to linger towards the end. meh.

mf: medium to heavy body, almost syrupy. Too heavy for the style, give it a month and it will be an American Barleywine.

overall: dissapoint and do not understand the hype, you can tell when an IPA is just past it's peak and seems to have more potential, but this one is just too heavy. I don't mind the heaviness, but it's "chewy" and syrupy and hot. Enjoy By is much better.

similar in taste: Ballast Point Dorado Double (992 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Glass: Tired Hands Stemmed Glass.

Appearance: Orange, copper, slightly red. Mostly clear. 1/2 finger of off-white head which dissipated quickly.

Smell: Grapefruit first, followed by hop bitterness and, sadly, alcohol!

Taste: Extreme bitterness with alcohol very present. Grapefruit is found within at all times.

Mouthfeeel: Medium body with medium-high carbonation. A bit too carbonated for me, and the body was a bit thick. Sometimes I like this oily character of a strong IPA, but this one just isn't working for me. It seems a bit too syrupy.

Overall: I had high hopes for this one, but overall my biggest complaint is that the alcohol smell and taste is too prevalent for me. Bummed! Good, but not great. (717 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

On tap. Pours a clear golden amber with a small white head that settles to ring and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass . The aroma is pine, citrus, booze, and caramel with sweetness apparent in the aroma. The initial taste is quite sweet with a bit of pine, caramel, and grapefruit. The finish is boozy with a bit of bitterness. Medium body. Low carbonation. A bit too sweet and boozy, but that’s not surprissing with a beer of this size. (451 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer was served chilled in a tulip glass.

A- The body of the beer is a chill hazed amber. No sediment noted in the glass. The head is thick biege and resolves itself into a thin sheen of foam. Rings of biege foam mark this beers passage from my glass.

S- Loads of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, melons and pine, along with loats of floral notes. This beer is aromatically appealing.

T- The beers flavor leads with citrus lots of grapefruit, grapefruit zest and pith. Brief caramel flavors give way to a chasm of bitterness. Alcohol creeps in a brings another dimension of bitterness.

M- The body of the beer is pretty full with a moderate carbonation. The alcohol is a bit hot at times but not oppressive. Nice bitter finish to the beer.

O- I picked up 4 bottles of this originally. I drank 2 of them and am currently reviewing the 3rd bottle. At times I really enjoy this beer and then it gets a bit oppresive. This beer is definately a palate wrecker. Thanks Stones for another tasty beer experience. (1,019 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottled May 25, 2012. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours lightly hazy amber with a two finger off-white head that leaves a few spots of lacing and holds a small cap.

Aroma is pretty hoppy, initial blast of grapefruit and resinous hops, followed up by floral notes, some apricot, a bit dank, but it’s not all hops as there is a good deal of caramel and bready malt as well. Very good strength.

Flavor starts with seriously resinous hops, grapefruit rind, a bit of fruity hops, moves to a rich caramel malt backbone that does serve up a bit of sweetness to counter the massive punch of bitterness on the end. Noticeable alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel is nearly full-bodied, oily, sticky, a bit creamy at times, good carbonation.

Ultimately this serves to remind me why I love the regular Ruination so much...a hop-forward DIPA without too much malt or alcohol getting in the way. This, is nothing like that. Very hoppy, yes, but a lot of distractions going on as well. (967 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle. 2014 release.

Orange gold in color, significantly hazed, with slow head formation. Looks unsurprisingly syrupy. Super citrusy and sweet aroma, like candied orange peel. Flavor matches it, with a lot of citrus up front, developing into a little bit of an unmalted grain bitterness as it moves towards the back of the tongue. Orange rolls, grapefruit pith. Ethanol burn (some).

I remember the first time I tried (the original) Ruination, I thought it was an unbalanced mess of hops and not at all enjoyable. (though based on the BA reviews there are a lot of people who think otherwise) The flavors here are very clear and concise. The result is a pretty impressive brew, though to call it more balanced might be a joke. (733 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: amber-honey body with a one finger bone white head that leaves sheets of lacing

Aroma: grapefruit peel with a malty backbone

Flavors: touch of caramel malts, soda cracker and grains and then wham!!! It is like I am chewing on a white grapefruit rind; the grapefruit taste and piney bite are powerful and the alcohol warmth just adds to this IPA bomb.

Mouthfeel: medium-full body; low carbonation; big time bitterness; alcohol warmth; the grapefruit note lingers on the palate until you are tired of tasting grapefruit; this is the mouthfeel I expect out of a DIPA and one that is called Ruin Ten

To the Point: yes, this will ruin your palate; I never thought Ruination ‘ruined’ my palate but, Ruin Ten – yes. (731 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

From a bomber into a tulip.

A-There is a small but persistent head. Light tan in color. The brew is cloudy with a golden/copper hue. The head goes away pretty quickly, but the collar remains.

S-An earthy mix of pineapple and sage. Light citrus flavors with a touch of spice and heat from the alcohol. The smell was pleasant, but not as inviting as say, the New Belgium/Alpine Super IPA. Ruination is an appropriate descriptor, I guess.

T-The flavors generally follow the smell, i.e., some pineapple, some piney sage. I found this one to be a little unbalanced on the bitter side and I also noticed a hint of off-putting onion flavor on the finish. Alcohol was definitely there.

M-Almost crisp, especially for an IIPA. Medium bodied with a touch of carbonation. I didn't find it to be as resinous as some super hop beers. The ABV and powerful flavor mean this is a sipper.

O-This was, as promised, ruinous of my palate, but unlike regular Ruination, which I enjoy, this was too unbalanced (on the bitter side) for my liking. Still, if you like powerful hops, this is worth a look. (1,084 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden cloudiness with a small white head that quickly fades to the rim. Decent lacing.

Smell: Hops, malt sweetness, booze, pear, strawberry hard candy, caramel.

Taste: Big bitter hops throughout the totality of the drink. There's some malt that almost balances it out. I'm getting a garlicky taste in the middle and lingering into the finish. There's a unique bread and buttery quality here that lends unique smoothness to a brew this big.

Mouthfeel: On the heavier side, not much carbonation.

Overall: Not bad, just nothing that knocked my socks off. (568 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Fresh bomber poured into a globe glass, the 10th Anny pours a clear copper with half an inch of just off white foam. Offers good retention and some sheets of lace.

Aroma is intoxicating in itself with loads of resinous pine and some citric qualities to round it all out. Alcohol is fairly well hidden on the aroma. Some graiiny malt and some light caramel play a secondary role. Citra noted on Stone's website round things out but are largely crowded out by the piney Centennial.

Flavor is creamy with a malty presence up front. A firm bitterness lingers on the close after the sweetness ebbs from the palate. ABV is a bit more evident here than the aroma and she finishes with an oily grapefruit note.

Good feel with a carbonation that works with the brew and helps to keep the sweetness at bay, at least initially. As the beer outgasses and warms up it does get a bit rich and malty with notes of orange and caramel.

Overall a good DIPA but I'm in the 'Standard Ruination' camp on this one, preferring its bolder bitterness and palate ruining capabilities. This one may offer better 'balance' but who needs that. (1,118 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance- Bright orange color with a thick, sticky off white head. 4.5

Smell- Aroma is a marriage between pine and tropical hops. The malt sweetness comes at the end. 4.5

Taste- The sweet malt is front and center in the taste.  Hard orange candy. Big bitterness coats your palate. I can barely taste the pininess I smelled in the aroma. 3.5

Mouthfeel- Due to all the all the malt needed to get the ABV to 10.8% it is thicker than I like. 3

Overall - IMO, big alcohol IPAs are usually too sweet for me and this is one of them. I thought Stone would be different in this respect but I guess not.  I prefer drier IPAs and I may stay away from any DIPA over 9%. 3 (668 characters)

6/15/2012

Snifter.

A: Yellow orange. Very hazy with a monstrous beige sea foam head. Very good retention with lots of lacing. I wonder if this is chill haze. I guess I don't know.

It was chill haze. The color is a dark orange with perfect clarity.

S: Pungent pine and citrus notes with a little floral influence. Sugary malt with notes of bread and a bit of caramel. Alcohol is noticeable. Orange blends with tangerine, generic melon, and a touch of guava.

T: Prominent pine resin notes with a firm sugary sweet bready malt foundation that matches the intensity of the hop onslaught. There's a little caramel in there with noticeable booze. This is very bitter with pronounced grapefruit rind and orange pith citrus characteristics. Alcohol presence is stronger in the finish and it gets to be a bit much when the beer warms up.

M: Upper medium body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is smooth, dry, and a touch heavy.

Overall: This is pretty good, though it falls short of my expectations. If you're hoping for a bigger version of that dry classic you know as Ruination you'll need to adjust your expectations.

The first half of the bottle was more pleasant than the second half. If I'd had one cold 8oz pour on draft at Stone I'd rate this higher than I did, but a full bomber with adequate warming shows me this is a pretty solid beer but overly malty and alcoholic while lacking the bright hop expression I find in fresh Ruination. It's more akin to a Barleywine than the Double IPA I was hoping for. Well crafted, but not the sort of beer I would buy again. (1,582 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

Well, not much of a Ruination fan to say the least, but heck, let's give this a try anyways. Liked the thimbleful I had at a tasting, so half a bomber is now on tap. So to speak. 22 oz. bomber, wiz wife.

Pour is an unclear orange. Nose is an improvement over the base right away, nice citrus, tropical fruit trees, the hops are nice & bright.

Ruination 10th Anniversary IIPA, my friend, it's hard to believe you're related to that sad-sack IPA that shares your name. WD-40 oiliness is the first thing to impress the tongue: dripping. Liquid hops. The taste isn't as good as the nose, more bittering than flavor, but there are streaks of flowery Hawaii that come & go quicker than a Higgs-Boson. I'm picking up (& I'll note my wife is not) a faint metallic aftertaste that's harshing my mellow, too. Ton of malt sweetness that overwhelms the hops at the bottom of the hill. Certainly easy to sip, however.

This is a good beer; taste doesn't quite live up to the promise of the nose & the mouthfeel, but quite nice nonetheless. (1,031 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This special X anniversary edition pours a lovely orange hued caramel color with a bone colored head. The beer itself is fairly bright and the head has great retention and lacing properties.

The aroma is just as sweet, resinous and hoppy as I had expected. Plenty of caramel malt sweetness contrasts with the piney, earthy and citrusy hop flavors. It is very resiny with a little bit of mint in the background even.

The flavor follows the aroma fairly well, though the malt comes through quite a bit more. caramel malts hold up a pretty damn bitter backbone and sort of mute the hops a bit. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of piney, citrusy and earthy hop flavors, but the malt tones them down more than it accentuates them

I would call the mouthfeel "substantially medium," in that it is almost reaching the full end of the spectrum. Very sticky and resiny. Not necessarily my favorite, but that often comes with beers like this.

So, I am not terribly surprised by how this beer played out. I love ruination... but amping up a beer for a specual occasion does not by any means make that beer better for me. In this case I found the upped alcohol, malt bill and hopping took an amazing beer and threw it a little out of whack. This is still an enjoyable beverage and I am definetly appriciating alll the hard work that was put into it, but I am glad that it is a once off and not a replacment for normal Ruination. (1,429 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours cloudy orange-amber with a soapy ivory head. Big, resinous aromas of grapefruit, mango, peach, and pine sap. So stick and "juicy" smelling. Taste is dominated by more big and bitter flavors of pine resin, grapefruit, tropical fruits, and peaches. Quite boozy, honestly. Mouthfeel is sticky, with a medium-full body and good carbonation. Overall a really solid beer, but it can't quite touch the amazing balancing act that is "regular" Ruination. (451 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Transparent golden, orange color with a thick, rich, egg-shell white head. Exceptional retention and forms mountains of lacing on the glass.

Sweet, tropical and spicy aroma. Mango and apricot mix with pine needles, garlic and white pepper. Somewhat unusual blend of aromas but they work fairly well together.

Dense malt character of rye bread. Aggressive honey sweetness. Hops attempt to balance with a spicy, herbal, garlic flavor. Hint of detergent in the finish. Flavors just don't harmonize that well together.

Full bodied feel, bordering on syrupy. Descent carbonation. Coarse texture turns sticky middle to end. Dry in the finish.

A good DIPA just not up to the standards that Stone usually delivers. Simply put, it lacks balance. (740 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Beautiful head on pour but did not last long, excellent hop aroma the best part for me, taste up to stone IPA standards however the alcohol comes through over powers and spoils the effect. All in all a good brew but for me I prefer the original, and you get to drink a little more if you want the alcohol.

Glad I tried it but not the one for me, too many other better options out there offering better value. (409 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a dark-golden color with a thin white head. Smell is nice and citrus-hoppy, a lot like regular Ruination, but isn't overly impressive. Flavor is decent, but disappointing. It's certainly got a bruising hop flavor happening here, but it's quite malty and I'm getting a lot of booze on the back end, especially as it warms up. Mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied and a little sticky. Overall, I was not super impressed with this beer. Admittedly, I think regular Ruination is a little overrated and I didn't like this as much as the regular one. This seemed to almost border on barleywine territory, and you could really tell that it was nearly 11%. Maybe it's because I spent all last weekend drinking Hill Farmstead beers in Vermont, maybe this beer's a little past its prime, but how this beer is in the Top 100 is beyond me. It's not bad, but it was not super impressive either. (885 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A warm fruity mess. The classic orange color, clear and bubbly, in the Ommegang chalice. The very modest white head evaporates to leave only a few swirls of foam in the glass. Thin and acidic but the white-lightning character makes an impression.

Brewery says it is dry-hopped with Centennial and Citra. It's a big load of hops with an expansive flowery and fruity aroma. It actually starts out like it's going to be fairly drinkable, but it gets more than plenty bitter after a couple of sips. The pineapple and mango are quite distinct and persistent. Super hot with alcohol, which intensifies the bitterness.

Still, for a hop extravaganza, it's quite sippable. Good thing it's so strong. From the 22 oz bottle from a local supermarket. (740 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

$12.50 for the single. Bomber to tulip.
Sampled 08AUG12

The distribution network was inexplicably slow and I'm sure this beer's prime has come and gone - so take this review with a grain of salt.

[A] With a semi vigorous pour, a one finger high is produced. The color reminds me of French vanilla. Very small foamy bubbles give the appearance of a creamy texture, but modest retention gives way to a soapy surface. The body really illuminates when backlit. Color is medium orange, looks menacingly thick - and the slow moving bubbles prove it. Lacing is entirely random.

[S] Before the cap was completely pried off, the intense hop aroma had already wafted to my nose. It's like it was dying to escape the bottle (like two months ago, right?). Big sappy pine plus orange and red grapefruit scents. Ennn-ticing.

But. Sadly. The fresh hop aroma is quick to disappear and we are left with just an-above-average DIPA nose. Of course the ABV comes across and the caramel malt aromas begin to set in as the hop character searches for the white flag.

[T] Piney, resiny. The citrus fruit barely translates. The sweet, caramelly wort has emerged from it's hoppy cover. Damn, I wish I got to experience what the fuss was about.

[M] The mouthfeel is very enjoyable. Bitterness is constantly invigorating. Body leans full, texture is chewy and sticky yet the effervescence lifts the beer off of the tongue.

[O] Well, as expected, Stone 10th is extremely underwhelming at this point - obviously a shell of it's former self. I expected some major drop off going in to this experience so I'm not mad. I'm sure it was a lovely brew in it's hay. (1,637 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%

Stone RuinTen IPA, 2013 Annual Release, 10.8% ABV, 110 IBU's. A - Brilliantly clear light golden with orange tinge, just enough bright white head. S - Incredible, Hops hops and more hops, lemon-orange oils, alcohol presence. T - Hop bitterness and alcohol burn dominate, malt doesn't seem to be able to catch up, very dry, some hidden citrus notes. O - Palate destroyer, abundance of hops is quite enjoyable, although light malt profile is no match for the high alcohol content, better as it warms. (498 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Light copper in color, wispy head that stays around, some lacing along the edges of the glass, spectacularly clear – 3.75, S: Amazingly hoppy nose – tons of pine and pink grapefruit, slight tartness and hint of bubblegum, heaven for a hop head - 4.75, T: Extremely bitter, lemon rind and pith, some syrupy caramel that has little chance of balancing the beer against all the hops, alcohol burn is evident and a little off-putting – 3.25, M: Quite creamy and medium bodied – 3.50, D: Enjoyable beer but a little lopsided in true Stone hop obsessed fashion, recommended for a drink – 3.50 (599 characters)

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.