Join our email list →

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen Triple IPAStone RuinTen Triple IPA

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.80% ABV

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen Triple IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 857 | Hads: 5,651
4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a New Belgium chalice. No bottle dating, but fairly fresh...

A: Poured a bit vigorously as to accentuate the head/nose qualities. Amazing billowy 3 fingers worth of an off-white colored head which recedes to about half a finger, leaving some spotty lacing behind. Pours a beautiful orange/amber in color, slight haziness, and some carbonation streaming off the bottom of the glass.

S: Nose is huge on tropical notes of pineapple, grapefruit, and citrus peels. As the euphoria of tropical fruits overwhelm your senses, a rush of sweet malts, some piney resin, and a bit of astringency round off the nose. Great balance, I was very impressed and ready for a taste...

T: Wow, is an understatement. Big astringency upfront, then balanced well with a great malt backbone. As I drink this it's becoming a bit more complex, maybe my palate has been ruined already? All I know is it tastes amazing, great double IPA.

M: Medium bodied; mouth feel is a bit biscuity, light coating of the mouth and tongue with a light amount of carbonation. Alcohol is a bit noticeable, some warming effect, albeit at 10.8% and drunk by myself, is well hidden. Overall an excellent double IPA, highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass to highlight the aroma. Didn't see a bottled date but it's pretty fresh. It was a very hazy amber color with good carb strings. Good sized white head that settles into a good collar and covering foam. Great lacing with lots sticking.

The aroma is heavy on hops with citric (grapefruit, mango) leading the way with some grassy hops as well. You can smell the bitterness coming. Some malt and a lot of alcohol as well. Great aroma. The taste is also very hop centric with the sweet malt and sweeter citric hops leading out. By mid drink, the bitter pine and resiny hops take over and lead to a strong bitter finish. Eye puckering for sure in a good way. A lot of alcohol shows as well which I didn't like as much. Mouthfeel was full and creamy with good carbonation and strong bitter aftertaste.

Overall, a really good ADIPA that was just a bit too bitter for me to really enjoy after about a 1/3 of the bottle. I love a good balanced ADIPA and am working my way up the bitter mountain as well but this one is an expert climb for sure. Still high recommend especially if you love the bitter. One-time release and was avail here in TX. Rotation - too bitter for me to get another bottle for myself but would try on-tap or sharing.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary Ale, 10.8% ALC./VOL., Ruining palates for ten years, brewed and bottled by the Stone Brewing Company, Escondido, CA.

Lightly hazed, golden apricot hue, with a slim, white, dotted head. Looks good.

Aroma: Everything you want in a double IPA and more. Blasts the senses with pine, citrus, and tropical fruits. Bright, bitter, fierce, and furious. Juicy, fresh, deep, and rereshing. Alcohol is felt, but quickly forgiven. We know this will be a challenge, but the beautiful smack of hops makes us forget what's to come. Ah, scrumptious!

Gonna read the vast, voluminous copy on the side of the bottle. blah, blah, blah…pat yourselves on the back, puff yourself up…blah, blah, blah…mmm, hmmm, hmmm….lots of informative history of the origins of the double IPA style…but, without a mention of what makes this different from regular Ruination. Why not? No one knows. (Well, I do, now that I've checked the website. Alcohol raised up 3%, hop additions doubled. 110 IBUs? Damn, but it did feel like it!)

I keep drinking, and I keep thinking, damn, this is delicious. Also, incredibly bitter, but so consumable for the hop head with a tolerance for higher alcohol. It's the ne plus ultra of Ruination, while still being able to slip past the lips and go all the way down the gullet. All the usual suspect flavors at play, all the resiney, piney, grapefruit, lemon, and pineapple.

My first Ruination was 10 years ago, mere months after it was released. I didn't know this until Greg Koch told me when I met him for the first time. In my entry for Ruination Ale, I told the story of how it "ruined" me. It was one of the first double IPAs I had ever had, but definitely not the first. In the intervening 10 years, there has been so much done with palate rippers and booze bombs in the name of hop delivery, it's easy to forget how far we've come, and what a leader this beer really was.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a one finger, bone white head. Decent retention, very nice thin lacing all around the glass.

S: Lots of pine bitterness mixed with some tropical fruit, some grapefruit and a little bit of pineapple. There is a good bit of malt as well, some caramel, and a bit of sweetness.

T: Lots of juicy tropical fruits, some grapefruit and zesty rind with some nice pine near the finish. Not as malty as the aroma, just a bit of sugary sweetness to balance it...slightly.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks pretty smooth, no real sign of the abv, maybe a very faint warmth to it.

O: For a DIPA (maybe a triple?), this is nicely balanced with a good bit of malty goodness backing up the fantastic hop bill.

3.04/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured into a tulip.

Appearance
Golden amber with 3 fingers of fluffy head. Excellent clarity and head retention. Low carbonation.

Nose
Sugary caramel, pineapple, grapefruit, pine needles, lemon zest onion and nail polish remover.

Taste
Resinous pine, grapefruit zest and lemon zest. Killer floral and perfume like hops. Some thin caramel and bready malts. Efforts of tangerine and pineapple gets lost among the bitterness. A lot of grapefruit. A lot of pine. A lot of onion.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, oily, bitter, sticky and dry.

Overall
Hop water. Why should I have expected anything else? Sure, it's a palate wrecker. Congrats. Don't expect anything past astringent pine, grapefruit, perfume and onion.

I don't get it. If you're looking ONLY for hop bitterness, this is for you. If you want a classy DIPA with juicy citrus and/or tropical fruits, go elsewhere.

To all the morons giving this a perfect score, get off BA!

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Pours a dark-golden color with a thin white head. Smell is nice and citrus-hoppy, a lot like regular Ruination, but isn't overly impressive. Flavor is decent, but disappointing. It's certainly got a bruising hop flavor happening here, but it's quite malty and I'm getting a lot of booze on the back end, especially as it warms up. Mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied and a little sticky. Overall, I was not super impressed with this beer. Admittedly, I think regular Ruination is a little overrated and I didn't like this as much as the regular one. This seemed to almost border on barleywine territory, and you could really tell that it was nearly 11%. Maybe it's because I spent all last weekend drinking Hill Farmstead beers in Vermont, maybe this beer's a little past its prime, but how this beer is in the Top 100 is beyond me. It's not bad, but it was not super impressive either.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Reviewed from notes

22oz bottle

A - Pours a golden copper with a two finger off white head. Head retention is very good and there is a decent amount of sticky lace to be had...

S - Caramel, piney hops, and citrus fruit. Hops are definitely present here, but sweet malt is front and center...

T - Grapefruit and mango up front with lots of piney hops in the mix. Caramel is present throughout, but is not up front like it is in the scent. This one rides the hop wave all the way through with a nice caramel backbone. Alcohol is very well hidden considering the abv. Very tatsy...

M - Sits on the higher end of the medium bodied scale with a lower amount of carbonation...

O - I thought this was going to be a straight hop bomb. I was presently surprised that this one is pretty well balanced and fairly easy to drink. Stone comes through with another very solid DIPA...

Cheers...

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Really pretty orange-yellow color with two or three fingers of white head. The lacing is beautiful and the retention is top notch. Bubbles lazily work there way to the top of the glass. Top notch IPA in terms of appearance.

S: I can't tell if I'm smelling an IPA or just straight hops. The amount of citra coming out of my glass is simply absurd. Pine, orange, other citrus, resins, and oh did I mention it smelled like hops? Slight booze underneath, yet zero malts.

T: The taste keeps this trend of amazing hops going. Just an assault on the palate that does justice to the Ruination name. Some of the most pine I have ever tasted in an IPA. Big citrus notes, resins, and some booze. If you aren't ready to be destroyed by hops you might not enjoy this, but I sure did.

MF: Great level of carbonation paired with a light body. The bitter hop aftertaste lasts well after I enjoyed my last sips. I think it's very drinkable, and considering I drank this whole 22oz 10% ABV beer at the dinner table I'd say it passes the test.

O: I don't think I need to reiterate how impressed I was by this beer. I can't remember exactly what this cost, but I know it was less than $10 which is seriously a great deal. Don't let this pass you by.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle, poured into a snifter

The body sits a golden orange with a huge, fluffy ecru cap. The cap rose 3-4 fingers and receded in raindrop fashion. Sticky, spider web lacing.

Bright orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pine resin, pineapple aroma leaps out of the glass. Some spicy earth as well. Toasted light caramel malt back bone.

An oily, resiny flavor profile. Sweet tropical fruits with tons of orange. Some spicy earth, almost rye notes underneath. Big, full hop profile with a sturdy, yet light malt bill.

Oily, resiny, chewy hops. Medium feel with mild carbonation. Finish is a moderate bitterness at first, but builds with each sip.

This beer is welcome in my glass anytime. An enamel ripper of a DIPA.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

I had this given to me from TinCup69 purely as a kind gesture on his part, thanks so much Scott! Best by date of 8/23/12.

Poured from a 22 once bottle into a pint glass.

A: A medium hazy orange color with a one finger white head. Not much glass lacing. It's just a rich looking beer.

S: Massive citrus smells with grapefruit and orange. You can definitely smell the dry hopping. Some herbal and pine notes with a rich caramel sweet smell. Alcohol is definitely detected.

T: Citrus flavors are dominant with the grapefruit and orange flavors. The massive hops are pricky and resinous with nice bitterness but then there is this huge sweetness that actually reminds me of candy alcohol. The booze comes out with the sweet all the while the bitterness lingers. Finish stays bitter and alcoholic and actually dries out from the sweet. Massive beer.

M: Full, coating, prickly, resinous, alcoholic, lasting, bitter!

O: Take Ruination and turn it up a few notches. This beer is just massive in both hops and malt and it works perfectly. I think regular Ruination is more enjoyable simply because it's easier to drink, but no doubt this beer is more complex.

A great way to celebrate the 10th birthday of Ruination. A massive beer with massive hops the signature of Stone. Well done.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz. bomber poured into a Belgian tulip

A: Pours light apricot in color. Slight bit of chill haze. Clears up nicely. First pour had little bright white head, but very sticky lacing.

S: Very assertive, bright citrus nose. Pine, lemon, grapefruit. Progresses to some sweeter notes, a little tangerine perhaps on the back end.

T: Aggressive, sharp hop tartness on the tongue. Aggressive might not be a strong enough word. A little sting even in cheeks here. Hop favlor initially dominated by the pine much more so than in the aroma. Citrus elements seem to get muddled. It does mellow a bit as it warms up to let some of the more subtle elements come out, but not a ton. Very light sweetness creeps in behind the hop onslaught, abruptly chased by a drying alcohol astringency. Really dries out and leaves a long lingering bitterness on the palate.

M: Interesting. Shows only the faintest bit of heft for a beer of nearly 11%. Pretty highly attenuated, which contributes to the tongue-stripping dryness. It does make you want to keep drinking, if for no other reason than to keep lubricated.

O: I really wanted to love this. But in the end, it is really just "really good" and not "excellent". It's certainly in the Ruination camp of DIPAs in that it makes little to no effort to achieve balance of malt backbone. It is worth the experience but not the greatness example I'd say. Fits into Stone's character and story perfectly though.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Opened it up, poured it in a glass(nice look), put my nose to it and BOOM, this huge blast of citrus just invaded my nostrils and blasted my senses like a shotgun. Had to taste it. Wow soooo strong(10.8 alc vol.) damn that has a lot of flavor. very much a pineapple and grapefruit and some flavor i couldnt get my finger on. definitely not a beer that i felt like shooting down quick, in fact it took me some time to finish because of how darn strong it was but i enjoyed it, left a nice taste in my mouth.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Orange with an off-white head that sticks around for a bit. Smells of pine and citrus. Enticing. Tastes very much of citrus and pine. Very powerful. Nice bitter hop flavor. Big grapefruit flavor. Medium full mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Great IPA, but a touch boozy..

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours a murky apricot color with just under 1 fingers width of slightly off white head, which takes a fair amount of time to dissipate down.  Leaves a mild degree of spotty lacing.

S: Huge citrus hop aromas with tons of pineapple and orange, along with lots of malty sweetness. Some dank hop aromas as it warms but  I would have appreciated more piney, resinous, dank hop characters.  These  DIPAs brewed with citra hops tend to come off  overly sweet  and unbalanced in my opinion.

T: The flavor is a different story.   Better balance on the tongue, with tons of bitterness to balance out the sweetness.  Still has some citrus characters, but the bitterness is huge! I love it.  Citrus upfront, with a palate wrecking bitterness on the finish.  I get lemon zest, grapefruit, pine, some boozy alcohol.   Im impressed by the bitterness here for two reasons.  One (and I may be speaking blasphemy  here) but from what I remember I didn't find the original Ruination to be as palate wrecking as advertised, and two it seems like most DIPAs Ive had recently have migrated towards the malty side of the spectrum.  This is a nice, bitter, change.  Very tasty beer here.

M/D: Clean mouthfeel, not sticky at all, medium bodied with a big drying character. Even with a modest carbonation it still has a big biting quality to it due to the bitterness.  Drinkability remains surprisingly high and the huge ABV is kept in check very well.

O: Overall, a really well done brew that I thoroughly enjoyed.  There are a lot of great DIPAs out there, and I can't consider it amongst the best.  But its certainly a very well done beer that I recommend to any hophead.  Stone consistently produces top notch beers, and for my money their selection of hoppy beers can rival anyones.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

So I decide to compare a regular ruination to the ten year anniversary.

Let's start with the pour.
Original is a warm amber orange in color beer. The ten is much dark orange and even foggier.
Like comparing apple juice to a cider. Later on I noticed that the regular ruination kept a head longer then the 10th anniversary.

Smell
Both have a very distinct grapefruit and herbal aroma
The ten yr has a lot more citrus. Like lemon and orange.

Taste
Original is very bitter and sharp with a clean finish.
The ten yr is not as bitter. Dont get me wrong, it is still bitter but it seems to have flavors similar to an oaked ale with the citrusNess of ruination.

Overall
If you enjoy the regular ruination then I feel that you will like this one.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can the 10th be better than the original? Allow me to investigate.

A-The Tenth pours burnt orange with a pretty glow. A forceful pour births a thick, dense head that retains perfectly. Linked rings of lacing stain the glass. Body is quite clear.

S-Nose is absolutely loaded with unbelievably concentrated notes of grapefruit and pine. Caramel malt is also very hefty. Such a heavy nose. Balanced; more so than I expected. More resinous than the original Ruination but less bright and fruity. Booze masked perfectly.

T-A hop haymaker. Like a grapefruit in a pine-woven jacket. More tropical than the nose. Exotic fruits and plenty of hop resin. Malt is rich. Lots of caramel, but the other aspects of the malt are hard to define because the hops are resoundingly muscular. Booze is still masked beautifully but it does warm up the throat and cheeks. This is a giant of a DIPA.

M-Resinous! Full bodied. Bitter and dry and bitter and dry and BITTER… Those hops coat the tongue and even rise from the dead when I burp. Palate is coated in hop oil. Sticky with spritzy carbonation.

O/D-Stone did the 10th very well. It is truly is hard to say which Ruination I prefer. The original is a bit more exotic in flavor while the Anniversary is somehow even more brash and brazen. Both are incredible. Damn, now I need to go get a bottle of the original Ruination to compare. An absolute success with the 10th.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a clear golden copper liquid with a very thick and creamy white head that has good retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Extremely pungent- I could smell it as soon as I popped the cap. Aromas of dank mango, pineapple, pine, and caramel.

T- Bitter, sweet, fruity, earthy, and boozy. Extremely strong and hop forward with nice nice fruity notes.

M- Oily, bitter and sticky on the finish. The alcohol presence is warm but not harsh.

O- Very tasty and most definitely a fun take on the original. Drink ASAP, do not age.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

On tap at Ginger Man in NYC.

Beer is a darkish blonde colour with a small white head. Retention is poor, but lacing good.

Smell consists of bright, sticky citrus. Grapefruit, pine, some pineapple. A bit of caramel malt below that.

Taste is, unsurprisingly, quite bitter. Lots of citrus, mainly grapefruit. A surprisingly large amount of caramel malt. Some booze, but not as much as one would expect given the abv. Actually surprisingly smooth!

Full bodied, moderate carbonation, oily.

Overall, very good.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A bright, hazy orange. Nice head on the initial pour and fantastic lacing. Almost sparkles.

S: Wow. Great stuff here. Piney resin is subtle with some huge tropical notes and hints of grapefruit. As it warms, the alcohol comes out and there is a bit of booziness.

T: Giant hops. Pure Stone through and through. But also I'm surprised by how drinkable it is. Goes down smooth for a DIPA. Easily top three DIPAs I've had. No question.

M: It's not syrupy but there is some heft there. And, this beer really covers your entire palate - it hits all the notes.

O: The best one-off DIPA I've had. Hands down. There are seasonal releases that top it, but in terms of a 'celebration' beer, nothing I've tasted comes close. Stone continues its traditon of continually raising the bar. Excellent.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Paid a bit more than I wanted (10 bucks) but this in no way harshed my expectations.

A - Very no filtered look with a hazy light amber body and plenty of carbonation (kind of strong pour) got me a full inch of head and nice sticky lacing.

S - Like other said the expected strong grapefruit and pine hops one would expect in ruination just doubled. Malts are amazing with sugar like gram cracker goodness.

T - What I liked best about this was how balanced it was. Hiding the ABV is something I enjoy with big DIPA's and this one had plenty of hop bitterness to do that. The malts do a wonderful job giving some sweet gram cracker body that keeps it from truly ruining your palate. Hops in the finish, I love it.

M - Medium to heavy but man drinkability is excellent.

Overall the bottle went rather quickly and it packed a good buzz. Not sure if I would prefer it to fresh ruination but for the style it was sublime.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

Poors a sloudy and hazed copper tinted amber, small cap of cream colored head, decent retention and lacing, wanted more from a big bad dIPA. Scent is a huge rush of grapefruit juice and pine resin, firm caramel, sugary and lightly toasted malt presence. Big bold and bitter taste leads with citrus rind and juice, strong pine resin, lightly floral. Malts are larger than expected, lots of brown sugar, light caramel and light toast, slight boozyness. Fuller side of medium bodied, dry and lingering bittermess. Overall, the hops are almost over the top and the malt comes through a little too sweet, felt like i was drinking a fresh hoppy American Barleywine over a dIPA.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle split with Darrell. Thanks buddy.

The beer is orange with an inch of dense, white head. Plenty of sticky lacing left on the side of the glass. The aroma is large and in charge. Pine, grapefruit, malt, booze. An in your face beer from Stone. The flavor is a bit hot, with pine, malt, and booze, followed by lighter notes of citrus. Caramel malts lead the way for some subtle grapefruit tartness. Medium to full bodied and sticky on the palate.. Overall, this is really tasty, but not something I would consume in quantity. Indeed, this is a palate ruiner.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

22 oz bomber pours a cloudy medium amber with fantastic fluffy head that won't go away! Aroma is heavy resinous hops with orange peel, lemon, and grapefruit, with cotton candy. Taste is a bit syrupy on the malt, which is neccessary to balance the massive citrus-pine oily hops. Alcohol is well-hidden for a 10.8% brew. Smooth mouthfeel, a bit wet on the finish, aftertaste begs for another sip.
Overall this is a nice a very nice DIPA - it suffers somewhat from the malt-over-sweetness required to carry the hops. I prefer regular Ruination - sometimes "supersized" does not equal better.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%

Tasted 17 July 2012 as 10th Anniversary Ruination, reviewed from notes.

Pours clear golden orange, with a nice two-finger golden-yellow head. Good retention, excellent lacing. Good stuff all around.

Smell is floral hops and a strong melony sweet malt aroma. I like the combination, but the hops aren't as dominant as I'd expect in a beer the brewery touts as over-the-top. The hops I do get are rather juicy and citrusy.

Taste is similar to the smell, followed by a dose of bitterness that's below what I was anticipating. It's big and sweet, definitely balanced, tipping towards malty. Lots of fruity flavors come through, a blend of the hops and the sweetness of the malts. Melon, oranges, a touch of tropical fruit. Decently tasty. Alcohol is obvious, but doesn't detract much from the flavor. Finishes, hmm, bitter, I suppose, but not exactly palate-ruining.

Good mouthfeel - big, sticky, carbonation on the low end. Not bad, not particularly memorable.

I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled, living in the land of Abrasive. This is a good DIPA, but nothing about it wowed me. Definitely on the malty side, not surprising at almost 11%. But the hops were not showcased particularly well, IMO.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle from Pints OPlenty.

Appearance: Slight haze to this golden-orange pour. Bone white head with very nice retention and lacing, especially considering the abv.

Smell: Big sweet and hoppy. Distinctive citra aromas with lots of tropical fruit (and a hint of cat pee). Citrus and weedlike hops aromas second to the tropical fruit. There's a sweet pale malty aroma that tells me this is a big one, but I don't smell booze. Quite good.

Taste: A great combinaton of fruity hops flavor and unapologetic bitter bite. Nice "balance" from the malty sweetness. A delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Feels like a big beer. Some might wish it dried out a bit more, but I like a little stickiness in a DIPA. Feels creamy and soft, ends with a medium-heavy malt stickiness and some hops resin.

Overall: Very well executed DIPA. I'd buy this as a seasonal for sure.

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA from Stone Brewing Co.