Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 832 | Hads: 5,506
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: light copper with a cappuccino foam head that dissipates moderately. Translucent with what looks to be low-moderate carbonation.

Nose: hello, grapefruit! Lots of caramel sweetness and grapefruit hop bitterness in the nose. This is a definite celebration of hops. Tons of leafy, lemony, piney backbone to the nose but a lot of sweetness up front. This is pure unadulterated hop smell. You can detect a slight breadiness at the back, but this beer smells as close to sticking your head into a bucketful of hops as any.

Taste: I was expecting this to be a lot like dogfish head 120 minute but it's quite different. It's cleaner than I thought it would be from the nose. Crispy bready notes deliver a wave of hop bitterness that finishes almost bone dry. It's as if someone spread hop butter on toast and then turned it into a beer. For what I thought was going to be quite a gimmicky beer, this is quite good. The hops are delivered very well in a restrained but not so restrained kind of way. I mean this is the most pure hop flavor I've ever gotten from a beer but it is done in this gourmet way almost. This is a deceptively simple presentation of pure hop flavor. There's just this solid malt balance underneath that delivers the hop flavor that is really impressive.

Mouthfeel: very enjoyable mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation is perfect for the style and the flavor profile. It would be cloying otherwise.

Overall/drinkability: this is much more drinkable than I had expected, but it is still quite the hoppy beer. Don't get me wrong, I love me some hops, but this one is not something I would have very often. A great offering by stone that I would definitely recommend for a try. It's just a little too forward to have all the time. A great comparison would be to a great tasting menu at a contemporary restaurant. It's a great experience that you wouldn't take back, but you won't be back for a while. (1,942 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

RuinTen looks like an amber amulet, something you could buy at a museum gift shop. The beer is glossy, clear, resplendent, and completely flat (the lack of head is unsurprising given it's almost 11% alcohol). I've poured it into a tulip glass but it would look even more at home in a snifter.

I don't know exactly what five pounds of hops per barrel should equates to, but it's definitely something you can smell. This aroma is a cauldron of boiled-down pineapple juice, infused with macerated grapefruit skins and generous handfuls of a variety of botanicals. Plus some unavoidable alcohol. I better get comfy because I suspect I'm about to sink into my chair.

'Best Before' dates on beer would make me laugh if they didn't make me so angry. I go red in the face when brewers claim their IPAs are good for another two years. Really? Get out of here. Fortunately, the fines folks at Stone are of like-mind about this issue. They do it right - they stamp the "bottled on" date (well, that or they put the "enjoy by" date right in the name).

Hence, I know this bottle of RuinTen is 7 weeks old. Not exactly fresh but not old either. Regardless, I can still feel the green of the hops on my face. I can hear a tropical breeze whisking through palm trees. I can smell the rainy dew and dead brush of a northern forest. This flavour profile is abundant in many things: botanicals, citrus fruits, grass and pine chief among them.

Everyone preaches balance as if it's the be-all and end-all but it's not necessarily. RuinTen is one-dimensional and unsubtle - that's the idea. Stone, by their own admission, calls this "indelicate" and "belligerent". They're not wrong. But for those of us who like that kind of thing it's immensely gratifying. If you're a glutton for hop punishment then it doesn't really get more pleasurable than this. (1,844 characters)

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very tasty brew from Stone. I really enjoyed this quality beer. It kicks you in the teeth to start but seems to finish quite smoothly. I recommend it. (150 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2015 vintage, drank within 3 weeks of bottling. Dank hop aroma, but I felt the beer was too malty and overpowering from an ABV perspective. Not much balance to be had here (171 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a grand snifter at 45°-50°F

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a thin off-white head and spotty lacing.

Smell: The nose is malty sweet with citrus and subtle pine. As the beer warms the smells become more pronounced.

Taste: The taste is concurrent. The sweetness isn't overly cloying and balances well with the citrus rind, pine flavor with a reasonably bitter and dry finish. The flavors become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, oily with some carbonation.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer from Stone Brewing Co. The nice mouthfeel really stood out for me and the bitter finish was tolerable enough not to ruin the beer. I have to admit I was expecting a dry hop bomb but instead found a pleasant drinking experience throughout. I would pick this up again but not frequently from fear of fatigue. (851 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Copper orange color with a half an inch head.

Strong malt aroma with floral hops like bitters. Malt is like a rich bread.

Taste is crusty sweet bread with straight bitter like herbal bitter.

Excellent beer do not taste the 10% alcohol. (240 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A: crystal clear; bronze in color; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin film; light lacing;

S: tropical fruit, pine, a little caramel, a little booze;

T: a bit of caramel up front, followed by pine, then a hint of citrus; alcohol is noticeable throughout, but not overwhelming; mildly bitter from mid-palate to the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: glad I got the chance to try it; (435 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is definitely an after - work brew. Great balance of malt with hops without being too sweet under the hops. High ABV may hide rough edges, but when found on tap, sit back and relax. (186 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bomber about 6 weeks old

L - Deep orange with a fluffy slightly honey colored head that dissipates quickly. Thick heavy syrup legs on the side of the glass as I swirl
S - slight citrus, heavy pine and astringent cat litter dankness.
T - Sweet, somewhat heavy malts with a refreshing piney burst. Surprisingly soft on the finish. It is bitter, but not crushing by any means. Very nicely balanced by the sweetness.
F - Rich creamy mouthfeel. Heavy, but in a good way, and dangerously smooth. Very fine, almost silky carb

Overall a big beer, but very well made and dangerously easy to drink (601 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Hazed amber orange colour, one finger of white head nice sticky lace. Smell is quite malty upfront but alongside it is an equally big hop bill, citrus and dank pine, with lots of grapefruit, orange and sugar cookie. Taste is very hoppy with a big sweet malt presence, grapefruit, orang and tangerine, moderate tongue numbing bitterness that never gets out of hand thanks to the malty counterbalance, dank aftertaste with a touch of alcohol heat. Lightly carbonated, medium full body, fairly oily. Solid and very drinkable, at times when this warmed up it walked the line between DIPA and American Barleywine and while not necessarily a bad thing I think I would prefer Enjoy By or Old Guardian if I wanted a Stone beer that was one or the other, that said this is still a very flavourful, hoppy big beer that while not the best Triple IPA I have had is still something I could see myself coming back to yearly. (910 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just a gorgeous pour. A deep amber color with an abundant slightly off white head. The nose is pine, citrus, and a little spice - but more subdued than anticipated. The taste is powerful. Piney, resinous, and a wallop of hop flavor. A nice malty sweetness to balance things out. The mouthfeel is full, with a pleasant alcohol burn on the aftertaste. Definitely a beer I'd seek out again. (387 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: copper colored, bright and clear with excellent head retention that lasted more than 10 minutes after being poured.

Aroma: hops! Pine and citrus (grapefruit).

Flavor: well balanced. Despite the uber hop levels, the malt comes through nicely and isn't overwhelmed by the hops. Toasted malt and bread flavors transition into the hops, a 50/50 of pine and citrus. The toasted flavors remind me of Pliny the Elder. The nearly 11% abv is well hidden, but some warmth comes through in the finish. The hops have staying power! After a sip, you need to cleanse your palate before eating/drinking anything else. The hop oils coat all in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: spot on! Nice medium body. The perfect body for a sipping beer, but too heavy to consume more than a 220z bomber.

Overall: in my opinion, this is Stone's best beer and one of the finest DIPAs I've had. At $8.99 / 22oz bottle, it is reasonably priced and even cheaper than many of its competitor's far-lesser offerings. I'll continue to buy this beer as long as it's sold. (1,040 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Huge hop bomb on this one! Still good after its been in the fridge for a while. For a higher ABV IPA it is really easy drinking and I would say one of Stones best IPAs (169 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(22oz bomber, Santa Clarita) pleasant smell and great first sip. Get's a bit boozy tasting with each sip. Overall a good if not very good IPA, but might be a bit more enjoyable if the alcohol content was lower. (210 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

RuinTen dials everything up to Eleven.

For me, the smell and taste were of a damn good imperial IPA with a flavor profile that seemed familiar (maybe not so different from other Stone IPAs) but with intensity--of hoppiness, bitterness, alcohol--amplified. Much melding of flavor and just strong, strong, strong. You'd need to steer clear if you're afraid of hops, though! (372 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear amber with a thick 2 inch cream head. The malts and hops blend perfectly in the initial aroma. Starts off sweet and finishes bitter. It tastes better than Devil Dancer in my opinion if I'm comparing triple IPAs. The hops and malt blend perfectly in the taste as well, although it tastes a tad bit like alcohol, a little bit too much for me to love it. It's got warming qualities all around on the palate. Overall, it's worth a try. Stone fans shouldn't be disappointed with this one. (498 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

one of the greatest IPAs ever made - with the purpose of an IPA to be big and bold, this one acheives where so few others really do...big alcohol, big hop flavor, its got it all... (180 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

I think this finally made the point that I am not a TIPA guy after all. Like but don't love. I so wanted to love this beer as I love so many Stone offerings. But I am not such a homer that I will claim to like it all. This was OK. As Triple IPA's go, it probably would rank very high (comparing to say PtY or Green Bullet). So, I will say that it has all that one would want from a triple. A citrussy, piney note that lets you know early this will have alcohol. The flavor continues in that theme: big citrus and pine, malts adding a definite balance of just the right amount of sweet to enhance the hop notes. And then the booze. If you are like me (a bit of a lightweight) have hop friendly snacks at the ready. (713 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Another amazing beer from Stone. An incredible orange-gold color with great head and lacing. Tastes is awesome with grapefruit, citrus peel, piney hops....A winner !! (166 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber brown pour (18) with tight off white head, good lace and cap in place; good carbonation. Hoppy citrus nose with elements of wet pine forest and sugary caramel aromas. Dank, hoppy pine and grapefruit flavors with big caramel malt foundation; very hoppy middle with wet forest dankness competing with citrus flavors; finish is bitter hops. Medium mouthfeel with resinous tongue coating; juicy grapefruit zest feel. Overall the bitter hops trump the malt foundation, and while quite good, seems just a bit out of balance. (524 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nose is fresh citrus, sweet caramel and thyme. Tastes unbelievably fresh. Sweet hops are a refreshing surprise. Malts keep the bitterness away. Feels a bit boozy but still easy to drink. Putting one away for another date. (226 characters)

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Another awesome beer by Stone. Smells of melon, a little pine, and maybe even a tad of mango. The taste follows with a little melon and mango sweetness, a nice little citrus burst, finishing with a blast of pine and grapefruit pith. This reminds me of hi res, but with some tropical fruit, and a bit better. A slight bit of alcohol burn but I'm not going to complain about that. For a triple, I prefer to know I'm drinking something strong :) (442 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

Another tasty brew from stone. Almost more of a hoppy barleywine than an double or i guess triple IPA, but either way its damn good. Incredibly hoppy, but surprisingly not overly bitter as the massive amount of malt adds a nice lingering sweetness complimenting the absurd amount of hops nicely. Maybe a tad too sweet, but nothing really to complain about, still an excellent brew. Reminds quite a lot of devil dancer. (419 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L (4.25) - Very nice dark burnt orange/brown color. Good light tan head on top too.
S (4.5) - Smells like heaven. Heavy malt smells and plenty of hop aromas.
T (4.5) - Tastes even better than it smells. Nice malt backbone, but plenty of floral and bitter hop tastes. A little alcohol taste, but not too bad. No bitter aftertaste either
F (4.25) - Good drinakble beer. Plenty carbonated, but still easy enough to drink.
O (4.5) - I didn't know this was a DIPA until I poured it. But I love that style of beer, and this one do not disappoint. Will definitely buy again! (579 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Probably one of my favorite IPAs. This is one of the most well balanced DIPAs I have had. It is dangerously drinkable at 11% ABV. The hop character and nose hides the high ABV very well. (186 characters)

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.