Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

(Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone RuinTen IPA Alström Bros
4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Let it be known, this is the first Stone beer I've had since my first encounter with Arrogant Bastard some years ago. I remember being completely off-put by the strong flavor and even as my taste has developed, I've been apprehensive to try this one...

But then, it came up at my work for no more than the regular Ruination, and knowing that it's a special batch and won't be around long, I decided to pull the trigger and buy it.

One thing is for certain though -- I'm glad my palate has developed enough to appreciate this beer, because it is fantastic. Let's review...

A - Poured from a 22oz bomber in to a 14oz Widmer chalice. Darker than expected with a nice rich orange/amber color. The head is nice and about a finger tall.

S - The added maltiness is definitely present in the nose with aromas of bread primarily. Also: obviously, hops. It smells fantastic. Citrusy and a little sweet in the hop aromas, plus pretty fresh. It's been in my fridge for about a week but I know it's not very old so that helps.

T - There's a tiny bit of malt in the sip but as soon as this beer fills your mouth, it's hops all the way. Dank, citrusy, sweet and bitter hops. Minimal alcohol in the taste, impressive for a beer that's nearly 11%. Very well made, especially hoppy but not excessively so. Certainly not your typical one-dimensional hop palate attack. Lingering bitterness sticks in your mouth for the aftertaste, begging you to take another sip...

M - About medium, well carbonated without being excessive. Crisp and a little dry, another characteristic that makes you want to take another drink.

O - Overall this is a fantastic beer and if you enjoy IPAs of any description it's worth checking out. I feel, too, that it was a great way to re-introduce myself to Stone brewery now that my palate is more refined. It's definitely a hop-lover's kind of beer, and one you won't regret buying.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Tulip.

A - Deep tangerine color with about 2 fingers of pillowy white head, lots of small bubbles and fairly good retention for a near 11% beer. Very clear with lots of bubbles streaming up, nice lacing.

S - You are first hit by an awesome tropical(mangos, pineapples, apples) grapefruity hop smell. You then begin to smell all of the sweet caramel and toffee malts. Little bit of pine and mild booze smell. Awesome!

T - Tropical fruits are first followed by some bitter sweet grapefruit. About mid mouth you get the sweet malts to clean things up followed by some bitter pine and some warming alcohol.

M - Full bodied almost syrupy, perfect carbonation and a nice smooth slick feel all the way through.

O - I love it! This is extremely hoppy and there are not nessisarily enough sweet malts to balance it out. That being said this is supposed to be a hop monster that isn't necessarily balanced, however it is very balanced considering what it is. I will have to try and get a few more of these for those nights when I want my pallet blown away.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

3.75/5  rDev -13%

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.