Stone RuinTen IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone RuinTen IPAStone RuinTen IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,043 | Reviews: 748
3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

At the time of this review, this is #19 on the "Top Beers - American Double / Imperial IPA" list on beeradvocate.com. Served in a Stone IPA flute because I didn't have the 10th Ruination glass.

Beer is amber and clear wtih moderate and steady carbonation, some lacing, nice retention, a thick white head of small bubbles, looks good.

Aroma is mildly alcoholic and very hoppy, piny and earthy with hints of tropical fruits.

Beer is very dry, very strong, very bitter. It is sort of insanely bitter, this has to be close to the limits of detection, you can taste the higher alcohol unfortunately but overall it is a nice beer. If you like Stone you should drink this beer. I'll have it again.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Picked this up a few days ago at City Swaggers in NYC. 22 oz. bottle poured into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a deep, hazy orange-amber color with one and a half fingers of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for about two minutes and leaves some spotty lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, pine hops, some tropical fruits, fruity malts, and
grapefruits. Lots of hops; a very nice nose.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, pine hops, and lemon. Moderate to high bitterness. Not quite as hoppy as the nose, but still quite nice.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and moderate to high bitterness in the taste.

o - Overall a very good DIPA. I find the normal Ruination a good DIPA, though not my favorite, and I find this one very similar, except a little more orange/citrus and hops in the nose, and more bitterness in the mouthfeel and taste. A good beer; if you like the normal Ruination you'll probably love this one, if you don't then I would pass on it as it is very similar.

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

2.56/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

10.8% confirmed. Bottle acquired at a local SoCal bottle shop on Saturday. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and posh etched label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are actually high even though I despise Stone; I've heard some pretty good things about this one.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and great retention (~7+ minutes) for the high ABV. Frothy, silky, and appealing. Body colour is a surprisingly hazy murky orange-copper. Tangerine orange, if you will. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Carbonation bubbles are visible in usual quantities; carbonation seems fine. Nice sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes. I'm actually fairly impressed with the appearance, though the lack of clarity and translucence has taken me off-guard.

Sm: Hop character is generic floral with light grapefruit, some nectary notes, and some pine. But what catches my attention is not the hops; it's the overdone milky sweetness. Nectary and sticky and too prominent for the style. They definitely doubled the malt to compensate for the hops, but I don't know that they did it well judging by the aroma. I don't detect any yeasty notes or alcohol. A messy aroma of moderate strength. The emphasis is in the wrong place and there doesn't seem to be any balance - but hey, it's Stone.

T: Some wretched grapefruit with an overly sweet malty foundation that really destroys all balance - especially in the third act, where I'm left with a milky rotted tangerine character that lingers off the finish. Blech. Some nice juicy citrus up front, but it's quickly destroyed by the poor malt build. I don't know which pale malts they selected, but they're not doing it for me here. Amarillo or columbus would have been much better hop choices. Hop character lacks diversity, depth of flavour, or evocative quality. Overdone caramel contributes to the third act nightmare. Butterscotch. Cream. It's like it becomes a crappy saison in the third act, but without the accompanying spice - just milkiness and caramel malt. Alcohol does come through, but it's well hidden for the most part - and besides, it's the least of the problems here. To be honest, the flavour isn't that bad in the opening act; the grapefruit is a bit more overt and the maltiness hasn't gone rogue yet. But the balance - both structurally and in terms of flavour - is wretched. Another mess from Stone brewing. Pineapple hits on the climax. Maybe some clove? Who cares. It's complex without any balance or subtlety; any homebrewer can dump a bunch of ingredients in, but it takes a master to control them. This tastes like a homebrewer got control of some fancy toys.

Mf: Smooth. Wet. A bit creamy - a strange and out of place attribute for an Imperial IPA. Good carbonation - a highlight of this beer. Presence on the palate is poor; it overwhelms. I wouldn't say it ruins; it's just a mess dumped on your tongue.

Dr: Another mess from Stone that fails to impress. I wish I loved this like others do, but to me it's just more testament to the ineptitude of Stone's brewers. Why I keep buying their beer I don't know. I guess I keep hoping I'll come across one that's great. I definitely wouldn't get this again; more for all of you. I'll be sticking to Alpine's IPAs. To this beer's credit, the ABV doesn't come through as much as you'd expect; I'd peg it for about 8% if it were a blind taste. I wouldn't call it drinkable, but I won't have any trouble killing this bomber alone. Disappointed. I hope the Enjoy By waiting in my fridge is better.

Low C-

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Orange-amber color and cloudy. Small head but it leaves some thick streaks of lace. (4/5)

Powerful, floral hop aroma. This has a strong grapefruit and alcohol to the nose. Spicy and inviting. (4.5/5)

Starts with a decent malt base and the hop that comes in the swallow isn't altogether surprising, but its strength is far stronger than I expected. Very warming to the throat. Long bitter aftertaste. Neutral body with an above average carbonation. 4.25 3.75 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma has a ton of grapefruit, with some pine and orange notes thrown in. There is also a hint of biscuit malt and some alcohol. The flavor is also full of hops and features a ton of bitterness. The grapefruit notes really stand out, as does some resinous pine. The alcohol is also quite strong in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A great Double IPA.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden into a snifter.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving sticky streaks of lace down parts of the glass.

S - Smells of fresh cut tropical fruits - mostly mango and grapefruit - pungent piney hops, fresh cut grass and an appropriate amount of caramel malt.

T - Starts off with a huge dose of piney hop resin and sweet caramel malt slowly giving way to hints of mango, grapefruit, pineapple, fresh grass and lightly toasted bread. Alcohol is ever present, growing stronger as it sits in the glass, but it never really gets in the way. Finish retains quite a bit of the hop bitterness, leaving the palate dried long after each sip.

M - This one is definitely a big hoppy beer with plenty of delicious flavors and moderate carbonation. Not as sticky sweet as I was expecting it to be, although it is definitely still very sweet, with a fairly dry finish that leaves me wanting more.

O - I was expecting this to be good but it ended up being really good. I also had a bottle of this one that wasn't as good as this was so I am glad I got to try it on-tap as well. Nice work Stone!

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 6/9/2014. Pours crystal clear golden orange color with a 2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate light caramel malt sweetness; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate light caramel malt sweetness; with an awesome malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth, fairly sticky/crisp, and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an outstanding DIPA. All around awesome complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate light caramel malt sweetness; and very smooth and fairly crisp to sip on for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours a orange amber color with a 2" fluffy head that slowly recedes. Nice lacing develops as the glass empties.

Smell: loads of citrus, caramel, and earthy tones comes through to the nose.

Taste: big caramel flavor with intense grapefruit, lemon zest, pine, a bit of earthiness and a load of bitterness that was well balanced. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crisp to start, a bit smoother and dry at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste here.

Overall: a very tasty big DIPA. Well balanced and mildly refreshing.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Served on tap at The Beer Authority in New York, NY

A: Pours a hazy golden copper to light amber in color with some light amounts of visible carbonation near the surface of the beer. The beer has a half finger tall foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a thin film over the majority of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The aroma of this beer is extremely hoppy with the smells of citrus, grapefruit, and mango dominating and a lighter presence of grassy and pine/resin hops. Lighter notes of caramel malts with just a touch of sweetness.

T: The beer has a solid body of caramel malts with a light amount of sweetness. But the dominant flavor of this beer is that of the hops - primarily citrus, grapefruit, and mango. There is a lighter presence of pine/resin hop notes as well. The beer has moderate to strong bitterness that really lingers for quite a while.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of alcohol heat in the finish.

O: Very enjoyable but this is a big beer and needs to be sipped slowly. Much too bitter to be easy to drink but I think I like this better than the orignal it was based upon. Really enticing aroma.

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

On cask at Beachwood I,

A: Pours burnt orange with a medium white head, leaving thick lace.

S: Lots of great hop notes. Heavy grapefruit and grass, pineapple.

T: Hop heavy, pine and grapefruit. The booze is apparent, almost giving a barleywine feel even though the malt is clear DIPA.

M: Full-bodied, very resiny and green, very long aftertaste, again some ethanol character.

O: A big monster DIPA for sure, certainly enjoyable, but nothing to go crazy for, I prefer regualar Ruination to this.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Draft offering served in a nonic. It was an awesome experience last month to see this get wheeled into the local bar and get put on tap within seconds of arrival. Awesome that the serving temp was ideal straight from the getgo with no need to warm up. The brew appears a clear copper color. A tan creamy cap sits atop supported by streaming carbonation.

The smell is herbal as all hell with pine and citrus. A light tropical quality runs throughout with a hint of sulfur. Underneath toasty grain and a fusel touch of alcohol mix things up and a cheesy grain note towards the back evolves as it warms up.

The taste is toasty grain with a huge hop presence. Flavors of herbs, pith, pine, resins are upfront. There is a very nice tropical friut flavor present before the onset of the alcohol. The hop flavoring is really noteworthy. It displays a wide array of flavor without crushing your palate with bitternes.

This is a heavier than medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. A very nice tribute/anniversary brew that I would pick anytime over the normal ruination. After coming down of a week long ruination kick where i was drinking the normal brew just about every day, this anniversary is a real superior treat.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Today is the annual IPA Day and I wanted to do something special to celebrate. I was able to purchase a couple of bottles from my local bottle shop when they initially went on sale and since it is marked "Limited Edition - Enjoy Fresh", it occurred to me that today might be the day to break it out.

From the bottle: "In June 2002, we released Stone Ruination IPA. Bigger, hoppier, & much much [italicized] much more bitter than the popular beers of the day. In fact, back then it was on the outer fringe of craft brewing. So, in a bid to warn folks of the bitter impact of our "Liquid Poem to the Glory of the Hop", we named it Stone Ruination, for its extraordinarily bitter, "ruinous effect" on the palate. People thought we were nuts. Nobody would want such a bitter beer. You see, in June 2002, only a tiny handful of breweries either had bottled a double IPA as a limited release or had one on tap at their brewpub. Without realizing it, we'd made a bit of history, as our new beer proved to be the first full-time brewed & bottled double IPA on the planet. How times have changed. Today, double IPAs are brewed by literally hundreds of craft breweries all over the world. Incredible. Delicious. And incredibly delicious.

No, we didn;t create the double IPA style. That honor's been attributed to our old friend, Vinnie Cilurzo, who produced his Blind Pig 1st Anniversary IPA in 1996 in nearby Temecula, CA (the same year Stone opened). We then picked up the double IPA baton with our successively-ever-bigger-and-hoppier Stone 2nd through 5th Anniversary IPAs (1998-2001). Ultimately, in 2002, we blended those recipes to create Stone Ruination IPA, if for no other reason than we simply wanted that big, hoppy character available to us all year 'round. Turned out you did, too! Today Stone Ruination IPA is one of the best selling double IPAs in the world, thanks to you, so we brewed this special version to celebrate."

I set this aside for International IPA Day and here we are! It poured with a massive two fingers of deep-tan head with excellent retention, leaving sticky lace behind as it fell. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was dense with citrus hops, caramel malt and alcohol heat. I almost needed a seat belt before beginning! Mouthfeel was full, kind of viscous and quite oily on the tongue with lots of citrusy hops on the tongue. Phew! I know that I was missing subtleties in it, but the heat was masking a lot of it for me. Finish was beyond dry, it was f**king arid! Man, I wanted a glass of water just to be able to catch my breath. Phew! This was quite the beer, but a steady diet would be too much, even for this self-avowed hophead.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone RuinTen IPA from Stone Brewing Co.