Saison Du BUFF - Red Wine Barrel Aged - Stone Brewing Co.

Saison Du BUFF - Red Wine Barrel AgedSaison Du BUFF - Red Wine Barrel Aged

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.90% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 07-01-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

General: I found this in the Stone Bistro in San Diego next to the train station. I always like the weird collaborative beers that Stone does and I'm a big saison fan so I thought that I would give this a shot! Poured the 500 mL bottle into a small tulip style glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear, not a trace of bottle conditioning or extra yeast in this, amazing. color is a beautiful gold. The head on the pour was snow white with lots of small bubbles. It wasn't that long lasting.

Aroma: There is the characteristic aroma from a saison but there is a big underlying aroma of spices. These are light and milder spices, like sage and parsley. Really interesting aroma.

Mouthfeel: There is moderately high carbonation on this, not uncommon for the style. It seems to coat the palette very well and lingers for a few seconds after actually drinking it.

Taste: Weird is the right word for this, but not in a bad way. It's a very fulfilling taste with the spices that are included with this. There is a good hit of the wine barrel flavor in all honesty, it's more the spices that come through. I actually like this one, very interesting and there are a lot of very mild flavors that all play together very nicely in the glass.

Overall: I'm a fan actually, it's weird but I like it. I don't think that I could drink this very often but it's something that I could enjoy every once in a while. Something different, kind of fun for a beer and a definite unique twist on a saison.

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Murky deep golden body. Small white head with decent retention.

Smell - Soapy. Very soapy. Spicy and green. Pale malt. Red wine is not a prevalent aroma. Not even oak, really.

Taste - More like regular Saison du BUFF here. Spicy and herbal. Light malt. Soapy again, though. Still not a ton of distinct red wine barrel, just a little bit in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Low carbonation.

Overall - Strange things have happened in this wine barrel. Not necessarily to the benefit of the beer or the person drinking it. Interesting experiment, though.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

500mL courtesy of HH84. Thanks!

A: Cloudy copper with a firm 1" head. Stains the glass. No complaints here.

N: Saison yeast mesh at the top of the nose. Dry, and earthy with some tannins. Can smell the rosemary and sage. Some pine nut character. Granny Smith apples. Not sure what to make of this, but it is definitely unique.

T: Lots of spices. Strong rosemary and thyme presence. The sage is also well represented. It's very tannic, yet I don't get a lot of the wine flavor. Plenty of yeast character. Cedar woodiness. Some leather. Slightly sour. This leans pretty far to the bitter, biting side, as if stuffed with hops. Starts to really grate on me after too long.

M: Well carbonated and very, very dry.

O: A decently enjoyable beer for the first ten minutes. This is definitely in your face, and I'm not sure that's a characteristic I want in a saison. I wish there was more wine character to tame the spices.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Foggy, hazy, ugly brown appearance; probably ruined from the red wine barrels. Not much of a head nor much retention.

Super-fruity aroma! Very much oranges, nectarines, other citrus fruit. Maybe something like pear as well. I'm not picking up any of the parsley, rosemary or thyme they used. Maybe some sage. I almost get a rotten fruit smell... I wonder if the barrels used we bad.

I still do get the rotten fruit flavor on the tongue. It is not necessarily a bad factor and it does not dominate the delicious fruit but it is there. I still do like the taste and I would buy it again. Fairly mild and very fruity.

Mouthfeel is great. Just like I would expect out of a collaboration from three of the best BUFF brewers.

Overall a pretty good beer but I have to wonder if there was something wrong during the wine barrel aging. If not, the yeast strain does not do well with the flavors of the wine. I have not had this beer without the wine barrels.

Not really impressed.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Saison Du BUFF - Red Wine Barrel Aged from Stone Brewing Co.