16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It has an amber body with golden highlights. An average pour yielded me a half glass of rocky, tan head that clung to the sides.

S - There is a lot of citrus. I immediately notice the lemon, but there is also a strong grapefruit presence. Once the head subsides, I get more of a caramel malt aroma.

T - I notice a lot of caramel malt in the taste. The lemon is muted, and the finish is Stone's typical hop bitterness with a kiss of rye.

M - It's thick for an IPA.

O - I was a bit disappointed. I was hoping for some more lemon flavor. Instead I got a typical Stone hop bomb. If you are a fan of Stone you would like this beer. I prefer the mid-west IPA's.

Photo of
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

22 oz. bottle, bottled on date says August 2012 printed on the side in cadmium ink.

A - Nice standard orange IPA looking appearance. Typical stuff. Non-aggressive pour yields virtually no head.

S - I can smell this beer from a distance. Very strong scent of a grapefruit citrus hop assault.

T - Bitter and hoppy. There is a vague hint of spiciness, and a nice hot alcohol burn in the finish. The lemon slowly creeps out as you sip on this beer, but for me it's not very distinct in the sense that the Dogfish Head Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale was. Although, I think it's good, there is more citrus alcohol burn than there is genuine lemon flavor.

M - Sticky, bitter, hot, hoppy, tangy, citrus mouthfeel.

Overall, this beer feels good, but I feel like it is missing some floral aspects to tone it down a bit and make it not so spicy. However, it was a very good brew and I recommend picking it up before it disappears.

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA --- 4/5.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

A - poured into pint glass a light copper color with slight haze, nice creamy two finger head.

S - nose is dominated by citrus and orange hop character. Bright and floral, almost like potpourri our cleaning supplies.

T - first thoughts very herbal almost mint character, spicey. A very sweet caramel malt is there but plays a secondary role to the fruity almost juice like grapefruit and orange flavor. Hop bitterness doesn't quell the over the top sweet and citrus character. This is an extremely unique flavor, but it does wear on me with the mint character and cloying sweetness.

M - thick and syrupy, sticky, slow sipping, light carbonation.

Overall - mixed emotions... I wasn't blown away but it's certainly unique. I think it's a great beer but I find the herbal flavor weird. Too sweet and not enough bitter for an IPA.

1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.