1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,339 | Reviews: 390 | Show All Ratings:
TruePerception

1.93/5  rDev -49.3%

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA: 10% ABV; very thick head; Appearance: medium amber; Smell: tree bark; Taste/Mouthfeel: extremely bitter, cigarette ash, tree bark, very long finish; bad

Poured into a pint glass.

09-01-2013 06:26:48 | More by TruePerception
jtierney89

Pale golden color with a thin white head. Good clarity. Smells extremely lemon like. Lemon zest with other citrus fruits and grapefruit. Very interesting. Slick medium body . Sweet lemon pound cake up front with a bitter grapefruit finish. Bit too much alcohol heat. Lingering lemon peel taste. Unique but wouldn't grab another. Bitterness is extremely harsh and opposes the initial sweetness of the beer rather than compliment it or balance it.

09-03-2012 18:51:16 | More by jtierney89
DrewV

2.1/5  rDev -44.9%

Pours a clear brassy gold in the glass with a solid 2-finger white head. Lacing is nice. But unfortunately, that's where the good news ends. Honestly, I think those people rating this beer in the "3" or "4" range are being overly generous just because this came from the Stone brewery, because it definitely doesn't deserve it.

I give the aroma a solid "2". And that's being generous. the smell is like a potpourri of weird floral scents, lemongrass, with an odd spicy note that reminds me of Thai soup. Definitely doesn't smell like something I'm keen on drinking. But despite the off-putting aromas, I press on and take a sip.

The taste doesn't get any better... The flavors are much like the aroma. An odd melange of acrid flavors heavily based on lemongrass. It's difficult to pick out the hops, but I assume they're there somewhere. Is this an IPA? Who can tell? As to the mouthfeel, well, it's fine. But who cares at this point?

Stone usually hits the mark, but not with this one. Honestly one of the worst "high end" brews I've ever had. Let this serve as a warning to others. I can't get my $8 back, but maybe you can avoid wasting your time and money on this stuff. It's borderline undrinkable, quite frankly.

09-01-2012 02:28:33 | More by DrewV
hardy008

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

Clear light amber color with a 3 finger foamy white head, with good retention and lacing. The aroma has lemon, grapefruit, citrus zest, and some spice.

The taste is heavy on lemons and citrus zest. There is very little grapefruit, some soapiness, and some spice. Definitely a disappointment. Harshly bitter to drink, and not what I would expect from one of my favorite breweries.

Medium bodied, plenty of carbonation, and it has a strongly bitter aftertaste. I hate to say it, but this beer is a train wreck.

09-01-2012 00:00:07 | More by hardy008
travisdiener32

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up because I haven't sampled stone in awhile. Now I remember why.

Poured into delirium snifter, lots of head, decent retention, lighter amber than expected for a double. My initial smell was a familiar lemon pledge, pine-sol, lemon rind. Mouthfeel is difficult because its hard take your mind off the taste. I would say average feel for a DIPA. The taste is simply bad, the worst double I've ever had. It's as if they poured lemon oil on on top of each sip you take, as soon as any pine and resin comes in, waves of lemon oil stick to your tongue and emanate through your nostrils.

Overall, I don't know how a brewery releases this. The competition is so much better and more aware of it's consumers that releasing such a poorly constructed yearly flagship beer will force others to look elsewhere and be much more pleased.

11-03-2012 01:54:56 | More by travisdiener32
sweemzander

2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden amber color. Some good white froth and lace.

(S)- A slightly strange but intense hoppy resin-like sweetness. Bits of citrus too.

(T)- Similar to the smell in a dense oily resin-like hop citrus. Very subtle citrus with a spicy rye characteristic.

(M)- A decent carbonation level. A tad strange in an oily dense hop character. Quite bitter too.

(O)- Typical Stone fashion, but not quite up to par in that sense. Kind of a strange oily character that is not horrible, but just strange. They have done much better.

11-10-2012 19:10:43 | More by sweemzander
russwbeck

2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

A: The beer pours out a hazy yellow red color with a big white head. Bubbles aerate the beer and hold up the head, which laces nicely.

S: The aroma is full of lemon and orange. The piny hops I had hoped to experience aren't there. The fruits almost make this smell like cleaner and need the other hop aromas for balance.

T: The taste has more of a balance, luckily. The lemons and orange are back, but this time they're paired with some pine. The orange is stronger than the lemon, but the hops still aren't strong enough to make this something I'd consider drinking again. It's just too much lemon for me. The booze comes out at the end, which really doesn't help.

MF: The body is light and full of carbonation. The booze at the end negatively impacts the nice hop finish that I considered one of the only plusses of the beer.

O: I haven't been all that impressed with the Stone Anniversary series, and this is another example of that. The lemon was just too much, perhaps it wasn't fresh enough.

12-20-2012 01:56:39 | More by russwbeck
Thorpe429

2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer was utterly awful. Drain pour to the extreme. Thanks to yourefragile for sharing. Served in a goblet. Pours inoffensively enough, but then it quickly fills the air with the disgusting scent of lemon household cleaner and...nothing else. I was hesitant to take a sip, thinking it couldn’t be safe. For my taste buds, it wasn’t. More lemon. At least some bitterness here, but that didn’t help anything. Memo to Stone: sometimes it’s okay not to go extreme.

01-09-2013 12:41:49 | More by Thorpe429
harrymel

Washington

2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

Saw this at the local rosauers. Pours copper and clear with a sheet of white foam. Smells medicinal with sweet lemons, orange peels, peppercorn, tea tree and just a hint of licorice at the end. Flavor is sweet with the lemon oil, alcohol, caramel and very little hops for the likes of stone. Medium bodied with moderate Carb and dry fimish. Not for me.

08-13-2012 03:18:27 | More by harrymel
oline73

Maryland

2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

I had this at Stub and Herb's while I was in Minneapolis. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a layer of creamy off white head that fades to a ring around the pour and leaves mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lots of citrus and pine notes from the hops. There are also some citrus juice type notes as well. Rather sweet.

Taste: There is a ton of citrus in this beer. Reminds me of mandarine oranges. The pine hops and alcohol remind me a bit of floor cleaner. The finish has a weird bitterness to it. Can't say that I'm a fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a really weird beer. The various flavors just didn't work together for me. I wasn't able to finish my pour.

10-08-2012 18:48:38 | More by oline73
billab914

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

22oz bottle poured into my Mad Fox glass. Amber in color with a thin, sticky head to it. It left some really nice lacing as I drank it.

The lemon verbena is immediately apparent in the aroma. It gives it a pretty strong herbal, floral, lemony flavor. I like the notes of rye and toasted malts I'm getting though. The hops seem overshadowed by the lemon verbena for me unfortunately.

The taste follows through with more of the herbal, floral, lemony flavors throughout. I get some of the hop bitterness coming out mostly in the finish. Again, I'm really liking the rye and toasted malt base, but the lemon verbena is just ruining it for me. It reminds me a little of air freshener or some type of cleaning product.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I really didn't like the lemon verbena addition. It gave it a strong herbal and floral character that made me think of cleaning products or potpourri. I can't believe the description says the lemon is supposed to be "subtle", because that definitely wasn't my experience with it. It had did have a lot of positive things going for it, they just got overshadowed unfortunately. I'd love to try this without the lemon verbena, but with it I can't say it was a very enjoyable beer.

08-18-2012 21:10:43 | More by billab914
silentjay

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

amber with a decent almost-white two-fingered head that retains and laces well.

a nice quick shot of pine is quickly taken over by lemon pledge cleaner.

lemon extract, soapy, oily... tastes like what I imagine drinking lemon-scented floor-cleaner would. the oil sticks around forever. the lemon verbena was way over-done. the hops don't quite complement, but rather are overshadowed.

oily, soapy, and unforgiving, this coats the mouth/throat and does not let go..making whatever you eat/drink next taste like lemon pledge.

wow. not great. there is potential behind the lemon extract and oily lemon verbena flavoring that just overpower.

If I wanted to suck on lemon pith, I'd just buy a lemon.

08-21-2012 07:00:18 | More by silentjay
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%

About 5 oz poured into a tasting snifter. Compared side to side with Ruination 10th Anniversary.

A: Pours a clear light copper color with excellent clarity. The two finger offwhite head lingers fantastically, and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: Uh oh - this smells like lemon soap spiced with black pepper and basil. Not looking forward to this...

T: Better than the aroma, but only on the grounds that it's actually pretty mellow (especially next to Ruination 10th) and not TOO unpleasant; but that lemon Pledge flavor is too hard to shake here. The initial flavors are better than the finish in general.

M: Kind of neutral...it's not overly dry in any way, but the finish does impart a hint of harshness. On the plus side, the flavors don't linger oppressively, nor is it overcarbonated.

O: STONE YOU ARE BREAKING MY BALLS. To be fair, it was probably a bad idea to compare this to Ruination 10th (even in its old age), but I can tell this isn't very good on its own.

09-29-2012 19:23:59 | More by ThisWangsChung
DefenCorps

Oregon

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this thrice in the past week and a half, and for the first time last night, the beer was actually drinkable, and my notes are based on this bottle. My score, however, is a composite of all my experiences with the beer.

A brilliantly clear amber with a dense, off-white head that leaves nice lacing, this beer looks great! The nose is rather intensely lemony, almost Pledge-like, with a bit of bleach. Huge lemon aromatics, drowning out the hops, the malt and the rye. A little sweetness is perceived, though. The palate is similar. Intensely oily, resiny lemon, citronella-like, the lemon verbana is way overdone. Despite what the bottle says, it isn't a hint of lemon, it's a metric fuckton. All the contribution of the hops are washed out, the malt is present mostly as a sweetness, and the lemon helps hide the alcohol. Medium-light in body, very oily and resiny, this beer is more of an experience than something to revisit. A bit of a chore.

08-30-2012 14:31:29 | More by DefenCorps
brystmar

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

This was in our fridge far too long. On the darker side of a golden color, decent head. Smells like lemon pledge. Rye malt and stale hops join the fray. Bleh.

Hop resin and astringent household chemicals lead the way. Piney, kinda like the way you want your floor to smell after mopping it. Ok, it's not *that* bad, but it's far from being a good DIPA.

Stone can (and does) do much better. Avoid.

10-28-2012 00:26:19 | More by brystmar
durwood64

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

Just about the worst beer I can remember from such a usually great brewery. I was very disappointed with this one.Tastes like the an arrogant bastard mixed with a lemon furniture polish. I like IPAs and love double IPAs, but I think this one is trying too hard to push the envelope. Stick with a ruination.

03-04-2013 20:14:32 | More by durwood64
VelvetExtract

2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

A-Pours a brilliant orange color. Body glows. Head is a chunk of raw dough.mhead is tan, Head retains in veteran fashion. Superb lacing too. Another perfect looking Stone brew.

S-Wow, this may be the most mint-stressed beer I have come across. Menthol. Lemons and citrus. Plenty of pine. Light rye spice. Very bold. I am excited.

T-A sad mixture of mouthwash, Orbit gum, and pine sap. Stinging. Not much tropical hops at all. Rye is washed out. Abrasive in the worst way. Very disjointed and even a bit offensive.

M-Boozy and the flavor hangs on to a sickening degree. Dry, bitter and stinging.

O/D-Almost as bad as their Belgo-Anise RIS. Really a big letdown. As happy I was yesterday with their 10th Anni Ruination, I am hugely let down by this brew. No dice kid.

08-19-2012 04:54:02 | More by VelvetExtract
mychalg9

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured 22 oz bomber into a DFH globe...nice amber color with a frothy white head. Nice looking. Smells ok- piney hops mixed with citrus, but a lemony almost peppery smell knocks it south. Taste is sour hops, best way I can describe it....Kind of tastes like bile (in a good way, i guess, since there is alcohol in it). I can taste the lemon but it doesn't really help the flavor. The mouthfeel is good, medium-bodied with a nice carb level. Overall I can't get behind this one too much, after the first half glass I was wondering how I was going to finish it. I think the 10% ABV coaxed me into it. Would not buy again.

09-24-2012 01:50:24 | More by mychalg9
Hunter

Arizona

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy, golden ale. Reasonably thick head of white that manages to linger much longer than expected.

Smell: Hops predominate. Beneath that, light notes of citrus.

Taste: Bitter hops, lemon...and that's it. Some whisper of malt in the aftertaste, but not much else.

Mouthfeel: Bracing, astringent, scouring, watery. Pretty much what you expect of Stone's IPAs, only so much of it it's borderline unpleasant.

Overall: It's not a bad ale, but the Stone gimmick of loading up on hops feels a little thin these days. I like IPAs, but there's a difference between one of high quality, and one that simply tried to outmuscle all others in the hoppiness. Drinkable, not memorable.

11-18-2012 01:54:03 | More by Hunter
Pahn

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 1 inch fluffy white head that leaves a thick ring of lacing. Pours a not-quite-translucent gold. Spotty lacing.

Smell: From the bottle: Amarillo hops. From the glass: bizarre savory and perfume-y aroma. Black tea with lemon, along with some fruit (maybe peaches) and herbs. Black pepper. Gets pretty boozy with time.

Swings way too far into savory, and not like "GUBNA onion-hops savory," but a full on herb marinade. Starting to turn me off of the idea of livening up traditional beer aroma and flavor by experimenting with savory elements. Gets a 3.0 for some nice hop aroma and smelling like a reasonably good marinade/salad dressing, at least.

Taste: Lemony, some passion fruit. Herbal hops, black tea aftertaste. 85 IBU coming off as pretty bitter, yet the beer also tastes a bit too sweet. Like the aroma, savory without being the familiar Summit hop oniony. Not quite mushroom or umami, but more like a heavily herbed marinade (plus some tropical fruit hops, and some black tea, and some lemons...). Way more going on than I can keep track of in a single sip, but also not exactly motivating me to try to do so.

I suppose it's impressive that they expressed so much flavor from the hops and rye and adjuncts and such. I don't want to give such skillful hop use lower than a 3.0, but the planning behind this beer doesn't suggest any skill whatsoever... It's really a mess. The mouthfeel doesn't help either; you've got all these savory + sweet + lemon + tea flavors fighting, set to a creamy and soapy feel that's very bitter but not dry. Blech.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Creamy. Under-attenuated for my taste.

Overall: This beer is like finding 20 beautiful but unrelated ingredients at a farmer's market, gently cooking them all to preserve their natural flavors, then throwing them all in a bowl and eating them. A gamble that could end up amazing or terrible.

This beer ends up a big mess and makes me wonder why they bothered. Stone is usually the king of balancing bold flavors, but not this time... Could it be that now everyone at the brewery is so enthusiastic about everything that they've forgotten how to say no to *anything*?

Drinking this, I'm longing for a well-made IPA with 1 hop, 1 malt, water, and some clean yeast. I usually love bloated experiments by genius brewers, but Stone 16th is a huge miss.

08-23-2012 02:38:31 | More by Pahn
Ryan011235

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 10/7/12

Honey amber color with a few browned hues. Rather clear. Puffy, two finger head dissipates slowly. A thin, soapy layer is kept alive with the tilting of the glass. Thick rings of lace.

Lots of lemon aromatics going on: lemon pine-sol, lemon bars, lemon zest and lemongrass. The malts have a buttery pie crust and sugar cookie bent, so it's no surprise this smells like various lemon pastries and such. Mild, spicy overtones. I actually like it.

The taste fairly malt-heavy. Toasted dark bread and rye. Similarly, this has some pastry notions, too. The hops here are mainly piney with earthy overtones. Lemon doesn't come across as distinctly as in the aroma; instead, it's woven in among the malts and hops and seems like more of an afterthought.

I don't much care for the feel, at least in terms of the body. Double IPA or not, it's full, sluggish and heavy with alcohol and oils. Carbonation is low, but moves enough to keep the beer moving along. The finish has some toasted rye and piney hops.

Perhaps I should have had a go of this when it was fresher, but it just wasn't high on the list of priorities at the time. 16th amusing, but nothing outstanding. Still, it's decent enough.

10-10-2012 23:55:40 | More by Ryan011235
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pured adarkish orange color with a moderatewhite cap, light bubbles and lcing

S: Smells pretty malty caramel coupled with lemon like Pledge wood cleaner d some tropica fruits.

T: Big caramel maltiness upfront with lemons and tropical fruits. The finish was heavy, to malty and unbalancedin the malt department.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated

O: The worst Stone Anny since the Imperial Red

08-18-2012 20:54:22 | More by barleywinefiend
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Consumed 8/28/12

Appearance: Clear, light amber - copper, gold when held to the light - little, white head that fades to a little ring - leaves a few specs of lacing

Smell: Lemon candy is center stage. but there are a lot of aromas in here - lemon, touches of other citrus (grapefruit), and some tropical notes (pineapple chunks), and some dry pine needles - some spiciness, slightly herbal, with a touch of grass - some booze - overall it kind of smells like tea, loaded with lemon, with a packet of sugar

Taste: Again, liquid lemon candy - hints of grapefruits, but it's mostly just lemon rinds - spicy rye, more spicy than the smell would suggest - earthy, herbal, grassy - some cooked, yet dry, bready malts - some tea-like flavors - kind of reminiscent of an Arnold Palmer, but with booze (apparently called a John Daly... hmmm)

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, oily, slick, adequately carbonated, a bit sticky

Overall: Ok, but weird

I like this, but it's not really what I was expecting. Maybe I just don't appreciate lemon enough. Honestly, I actually had to look up what "lemon verbena" was. Apparently it's a shrub (thank you, Wikipedia). That may explain the tea-like properties. Anyway, I love Stone, and I may revert to believing that the Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was actually the 16th anniversary beer. Because that kicked ass. This does not.

Update: I grew tired of the taste quickly after starting to drink the second half of my bomber. And I woke up the next morning with a raging headache, sick to my stomach, and sweating uncontrollably. Either my body hates this beer or I got a 6-hour West Nile virus. Taste and overall scores have been reduced slightly from my previous scoring.

08-28-2012 06:36:12 | More by angrybabboon
Reaper16

Alabama

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

served on-tap at Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a snifter

Pours a warm, darker orange color. There's a nice, soft eggshell colored head here that laces all pretty like around the glass. It's a good looking beer, for sure.

I appreciate what this beer is doing as far as originality, but the original aroma profile doesn't automatically make for a good aroma profile. This beer smells mostly of spicy, earthy notes. Not in a Saison way or anything. But in the way of green hop bitterness and spicy rye malt. There's a honeyed lemon aroma here, sorta' like a cough drop. A touch of citrus -- peach mostly -- but not as juicy as perhaps it should be. It doesn't smell like it has much depth.

16th Anniversary is unique. I can say that much. It tastes more like a mediocre cocktail than a beer. Let me explain. We've all been to a bar that purports to specialize in their signature cocktails, but their cocktails are just cool ingredients mixed together without a learned understanding of how to mix a balanced, expressive drink. That's what this beer tastes like. It tastes like peach soda pop, rye whiskey, and bitter herbs. Nothing comes together to make a cohesive flavor. Very peachy, but no hop depth beyond that. Just some slick bitter notes.

The mouthfeel is thicker than I'd prefer in the style, It's not poor or distracting, just thick. Overall, this is a strange, unique take on the style. I don't think it works, ultimately, but it was worth a try.

10-13-2012 03:39:11 | More by Reaper16
mactrail

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pleasant appearance with orange color in the tall Saxo tulip. Plenty of foam and quite spritzy in the mouth. Tends to attack the tongue after some sipping.

This doesn't seem so overly lemoned, in fact the nose is quite interesting. But it just seems to add to the general bitterness, which this doesn't need any more of. Rich and malty, but then the bitter blast blows through. Quite unpleasant aftertaste of bitter citrus rind and generally acidic. It doesn't taste so alcoholic, but it's a harsh mistress nonetheless.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Ibis Market in San Diego for six bucks.

02-06-2013 05:47:24 | More by mactrail
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.