16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros

CharlieTruelove23, Aug 26, 2012

DC_HOP_HEAD, Oct 28, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -54.1%

KingBiscuit, Sep 24, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -49.3%

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA: 10% ABV; very thick head; Appearance: medium amber; Smell: tree bark; Taste/Mouthfeel: extremely bitter, cigarette ash, tree bark, very long finish; bad

Poured into a pint glass.

TruePerception, Sep 01, 2013

Pale golden color with a thin white head. Good clarity. Smells extremely lemon like. Lemon zest with other citrus fruits and grapefruit. Very interesting. Slick medium body . Sweet lemon pound cake up front with a bitter grapefruit finish. Bit too much alcohol heat. Lingering lemon peel taste. Unique but wouldn't grab another. Bitterness is extremely harsh and opposes the initial sweetness of the beer rather than compliment it or balance it.

jtierney89, Sep 03, 2012

Deivos, Oct 12, 2012

Jpwv, Aug 26, 2012

nrs207, Aug 22, 2012

Heathbrook, Sep 03, 2012

mishtif, Jan 17, 2013

Nichols33, Aug 24, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -44.9%

Pours a clear brassy gold in the glass with a solid 2-finger white head. Lacing is nice. But unfortunately, that's where the good news ends. Honestly, I think those people rating this beer in the "3" or "4" range are being overly generous just because this came from the Stone brewery, because it definitely doesn't deserve it.

I give the aroma a solid "2". And that's being generous. the smell is like a potpourri of weird floral scents, lemongrass, with an odd spicy note that reminds me of Thai soup. Definitely doesn't smell like something I'm keen on drinking. But despite the off-putting aromas, I press on and take a sip.

The taste doesn't get any better... The flavors are much like the aroma. An odd melange of acrid flavors heavily based on lemongrass. It's difficult to pick out the hops, but I assume they're there somewhere. Is this an IPA? Who can tell? As to the mouthfeel, well, it's fine. But who cares at this point?

Stone usually hits the mark, but not with this one. Honestly one of the worst "high end" brews I've ever had. Let this serve as a warning to others. I can't get my $8 back, but maybe you can avoid wasting your time and money on this stuff. It's borderline undrinkable, quite frankly.

DrewV, Sep 01, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

masterofsparks, Aug 31, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

Burt, Sep 07, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

Clear light amber color with a 3 finger foamy white head, with good retention and lacing. The aroma has lemon, grapefruit, citrus zest, and some spice.

The taste is heavy on lemons and citrus zest. There is very little grapefruit, some soapiness, and some spice. Definitely a disappointment. Harshly bitter to drink, and not what I would expect from one of my favorite breweries.

Medium bodied, plenty of carbonation, and it has a strongly bitter aftertaste. I hate to say it, but this beer is a train wreck.

hardy008, Sep 01, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

Picked this up because I haven't sampled stone in awhile. Now I remember why.

Poured into delirium snifter, lots of head, decent retention, lighter amber than expected for a double. My initial smell was a familiar lemon pledge, pine-sol, lemon rind. Mouthfeel is difficult because its hard take your mind off the taste. I would say average feel for a DIPA. The taste is simply bad, the worst double I've ever had. It's as if they poured lemon oil on on top of each sip you take, as soon as any pine and resin comes in, waves of lemon oil stick to your tongue and emanate through your nostrils.

Overall, I don't know how a brewery releases this. The competition is so much better and more aware of it's consumers that releasing such a poorly constructed yearly flagship beer will force others to look elsewhere and be much more pleased.

travisdiener32, Nov 03, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer was utterly awful. Drain pour to the extreme. Thanks to yourefragile for sharing. Served in a goblet. Pours inoffensively enough, but then it quickly fills the air with the disgusting scent of lemon household cleaner and...nothing else. I was hesitant to take a sip, thinking it couldn’t be safe. For my taste buds, it wasn’t. More lemon. At least some bitterness here, but that didn’t help anything. Memo to Stone: sometimes it’s okay not to go extreme.

Thorpe429, Jan 09, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden amber color. Some good white froth and lace.

(S)- A slightly strange but intense hoppy resin-like sweetness. Bits of citrus too.

(T)- Similar to the smell in a dense oily resin-like hop citrus. Very subtle citrus with a spicy rye characteristic.

(M)- A decent carbonation level. A tad strange in an oily dense hop character. Quite bitter too.

(O)- Typical Stone fashion, but not quite up to par in that sense. Kind of a strange oily character that is not horrible, but just strange. They have done much better.

sweemzander, Nov 10, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

A: The beer pours out a hazy yellow red color with a big white head. Bubbles aerate the beer and hold up the head, which laces nicely.

S: The aroma is full of lemon and orange. The piny hops I had hoped to experience aren't there. The fruits almost make this smell like cleaner and need the other hop aromas for balance.

T: The taste has more of a balance, luckily. The lemons and orange are back, but this time they're paired with some pine. The orange is stronger than the lemon, but the hops still aren't strong enough to make this something I'd consider drinking again. It's just too much lemon for me. The booze comes out at the end, which really doesn't help.

MF: The body is light and full of carbonation. The booze at the end negatively impacts the nice hop finish that I considered one of the only plusses of the beer.

O: I haven't been all that impressed with the Stone Anniversary series, and this is another example of that. The lemon was just too much, perhaps it wasn't fresh enough.

russwbeck, Dec 20, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

I had this at Stub and Herb's while I was in Minneapolis. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a layer of creamy off white head that fades to a ring around the pour and leaves mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lots of citrus and pine notes from the hops. There are also some citrus juice type notes as well. Rather sweet.

Taste: There is a ton of citrus in this beer. Reminds me of mandarine oranges. The pine hops and alcohol remind me a bit of floor cleaner. The finish has a weird bitterness to it. Can't say that I'm a fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a really weird beer. The various flavors just didn't work together for me. I wasn't able to finish my pour.

oline73, Oct 08, 2012
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.