16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,386 | Reviews: 392

2.51/5  rDev -34.1%

I had this at Stub and Herb's while I was in Minneapolis. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a layer of creamy off white head that fades to a ring around the pour and leaves mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lots of citrus and pine notes from the hops. There are also some citrus juice type notes as well. Rather sweet.

Taste: There is a ton of citrus in this beer. Reminds me of mandarine oranges. The pine hops and alcohol remind me a bit of floor cleaner. The finish has a weird bitterness to it. Can't say that I'm a fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was a really weird beer. The various flavors just didn't work together for me. I wasn't able to finish my pour.

2.54/5  rDev -33.3%

amber with a decent almost-white two-fingered head that retains and laces well.

a nice quick shot of pine is quickly taken over by lemon pledge cleaner.

lemon extract, soapy, oily... tastes like what I imagine drinking lemon-scented floor-cleaner would. the oil sticks around forever. the lemon verbena was way over-done. the hops don't quite complement, but rather are overshadowed.

oily, soapy, and unforgiving, this coats the mouth/throat and does not let go..making whatever you eat/drink next taste like lemon pledge.

wow. not great. there is potential behind the lemon extract and oily lemon verbena flavoring that just overpower.

If I wanted to suck on lemon pith, I'd just buy a lemon.

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%

About 5 oz poured into a tasting snifter. Compared side to side with Ruination 10th Anniversary.

A: Pours a clear light copper color with excellent clarity. The two finger offwhite head lingers fantastically, and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: Uh oh - this smells like lemon soap spiced with black pepper and basil. Not looking forward to this...

T: Better than the aroma, but only on the grounds that it's actually pretty mellow (especially next to Ruination 10th) and not TOO unpleasant; but that lemon Pledge flavor is too hard to shake here. The initial flavors are better than the finish in general.

M: Kind of neutral...it's not overly dry in any way, but the finish does impart a hint of harshness. On the plus side, the flavors don't linger oppressively, nor is it overcarbonated.

O: STONE YOU ARE BREAKING MY BALLS. To be fair, it was probably a bad idea to compare this to Ruination 10th (even in its old age), but I can tell this isn't very good on its own.

2.57/5  rDev -32.5%

This was in our fridge far too long. On the darker side of a golden color, decent head. Smells like lemon pledge. Rye malt and stale hops join the fray. Bleh.

Hop resin and astringent household chemicals lead the way. Piney, kinda like the way you want your floor to smell after mopping it. Ok, it's not *that* bad, but it's far from being a good DIPA.

Stone can (and does) do much better. Avoid.

2.57/5  rDev -32.5%

22oz bottle poured into my Mad Fox glass. Amber in color with a thin, sticky head to it. It left some really nice lacing as I drank it.

The lemon verbena is immediately apparent in the aroma. It gives it a pretty strong herbal, floral, lemony flavor. I like the notes of rye and toasted malts I'm getting though. The hops seem overshadowed by the lemon verbena for me unfortunately.

The taste follows through with more of the herbal, floral, lemony flavors throughout. I get some of the hop bitterness coming out mostly in the finish. Again, I'm really liking the rye and toasted malt base, but the lemon verbena is just ruining it for me. It reminds me a little of air freshener or some type of cleaning product.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I really didn't like the lemon verbena addition. It gave it a strong herbal and floral character that made me think of cleaning products or potpourri. I can't believe the description says the lemon is supposed to be "subtle", because that definitely wasn't my experience with it. It had did have a lot of positive things going for it, they just got overshadowed unfortunately. I'd love to try this without the lemon verbena, but with it I can't say it was a very enjoyable beer.

2.59/5  rDev -32%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this thrice in the past week and a half, and for the first time last night, the beer was actually drinkable, and my notes are based on this bottle. My score, however, is a composite of all my experiences with the beer.

A brilliantly clear amber with a dense, off-white head that leaves nice lacing, this beer looks great! The nose is rather intensely lemony, almost Pledge-like, with a bit of bleach. Huge lemon aromatics, drowning out the hops, the malt and the rye. A little sweetness is perceived, though. The palate is similar. Intensely oily, resiny lemon, citronella-like, the lemon verbana is way overdone. Despite what the bottle says, it isn't a hint of lemon, it's a metric fuckton. All the contribution of the hops are washed out, the malt is present mostly as a sweetness, and the lemon helps hide the alcohol. Medium-light in body, very oily and resiny, this beer is more of an experience than something to revisit. A bit of a chore.

2.64/5  rDev -30.7%

Just about the worst beer I can remember from such a usually great brewery. I was very disappointed with this one.Tastes like the an arrogant bastard mixed with a lemon furniture polish. I like IPAs and love double IPAs, but I think this one is trying too hard to push the envelope. Stick with a ruination.

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy, golden ale. Reasonably thick head of white that manages to linger much longer than expected.

Smell: Hops predominate. Beneath that, light notes of citrus.

Taste: Bitter hops, lemon...and that's it. Some whisper of malt in the aftertaste, but not much else.

Mouthfeel: Bracing, astringent, scouring, watery. Pretty much what you expect of Stone's IPAs, only so much of it it's borderline unpleasant.

Overall: It's not a bad ale, but the Stone gimmick of loading up on hops feels a little thin these days. I like IPAs, but there's a difference between one of high quality, and one that simply tried to outmuscle all others in the hoppiness. Drinkable, not memorable.

2.69/5  rDev -29.4%

A-Pours a brilliant orange color. Body glows. Head is a chunk of raw dough.mhead is tan, Head retains in veteran fashion. Superb lacing too. Another perfect looking Stone brew.

S-Wow, this may be the most mint-stressed beer I have come across. Menthol. Lemons and citrus. Plenty of pine. Light rye spice. Very bold. I am excited.

T-A sad mixture of mouthwash, Orbit gum, and pine sap. Stinging. Not much tropical hops at all. Rye is washed out. Abrasive in the worst way. Very disjointed and even a bit offensive.

M-Boozy and the flavor hangs on to a sickening degree. Dry, bitter and stinging.

O/D-Almost as bad as their Belgo-Anise RIS. Really a big letdown. As happy I was yesterday with their 10th Anni Ruination, I am hugely let down by this brew. No dice kid.

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured 22 oz bomber into a DFH globe...nice amber color with a frothy white head. Nice looking. Smells ok- piney hops mixed with citrus, but a lemony almost peppery smell knocks it south. Taste is sour hops, best way I can describe it....Kind of tastes like bile (in a good way, i guess, since there is alcohol in it). I can taste the lemon but it doesn't really help the flavor. The mouthfeel is good, medium-bodied with a nice carb level. Overall I can't get behind this one too much, after the first half glass I was wondering how I was going to finish it. I think the 10% ABV coaxed me into it. Would not buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.