16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -6%

A-pours a nice amber color with an off white sudsy head with great retention and clings to the glass
S-lemon definitely comes through but is not a cleaning product aroma, spiciness from the hops, citrus and tropical fruits
T-a bit muddy. There is the aspects of the lemon and citrus and mixes with the sweetness of the malts but comes across in one big blob. More lemon in the finish
M-medium-full, a bit thick for my taste
O-interesting and I like the lemon, I just felt as if the flavors weren't as precise as I thought they would be. The mouthfeel seemed dense even for the style. I can imagine this might get rough to drink if it warms up too much. overall not a bad beer

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a bomber I picked up from Jungle Jim's for $7.99.

Pours a reddish amber Colorado with a dark golden hue. Lacing is solid and follows down the glass. Very prominent head that is bright white.

Smells really good and unlike the average DIPA. Definitely a lemon zest is present along with a strong spicey rye blazing through my nostrils. Smells very hoppy but not the usual tropical Ipa.

Well....its not necessarily hot, but the taste of lemon vodka is pretty evident(especially warm). While not what I hoping for, its still pretty good. Aside from that, it has a nice rye flavor with a spicey hop kick.

Mouthfeel is moderate and on par with DIPA's. Bitter aftertaste.

Overall I'm not as pleased as I hoped to be. Still have to give props to Stone for coming up with a different beer that is not the normal DIPA. The 15TH Anniversary is still my favorite.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with one finger of off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Volatile herbs are intense and lemony, but also quite green. After lemon comes mint, then something more savory like thyme (in order of intensity.) Malt is extremely nuanced--just a bit of bread and caramel--and hops are practically unidentifiable. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with immediate aromatic flavors of medicinal mint, artificial citronella, and other spicy herbs. Acidity is mild into the middle where the early herbaceous flavors persist and even become more intense. Bitterness is strong, yet easily overcome by other flavors. There is an overall aura of hops--Centennial or Columbus, perhaps--but just like in the smell, there is no instance where they define the sensory profile. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly acidic and sticky on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Very experimental, which is wonderful because there has never been another beer like it, but not as fine of an example as the Stone anniversary beers from the last few years. Its qualities are interesting yet cloying, reminiscent of fresh Saison du Buff in the very in-your-face way they are presented. Still, if a brewer is going to produce a one-off beer--an IPA in particular--it should be memorable, which this one is.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A- Hazy amber color, topped with a thick off white head. The head fall slowly to a cap and leaves a lot of thick lace rings on the glass.

S- Mild citrus and fresh cut grass slight notes of malt to balance things out.

T- Creamy smooth note of hops that builds to a herbal climax, unusual not unpleasant, but unexpected. Malt balances thing out and leads to the finish with has a slightly puckering tart dry final note of hops. Slight heat of alcohol at the finish too, other wise it is well hidden.

M- Medium in body and carbonation, smooth and creamy as well, finish is pretty clean there is a bit of hop oil residue but it isn't distracting from the enjoyment of this one.

O- Nice effort but nothing outstanding here the 10% ABV is well hidden and for an IPA is is a pretty easy drinker, just nothing special.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden amber color with a nice biege head. Head has good retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Pretty herbal and spices starting off. Lemon is here for sure. A bit of rye and bready malts.

T- Just like the nose more spices here than I expected. Lemon again is pretty strong. A good amount of bitterness.

M- Medium in both body and carbonation.

O- Not too bad. Very different.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

22oz bottle into a Summit EPA glass. Pours a nice orangey hay color. A solid two fingers of cream head that laces quite a bit.

The nose is all lemon. It smells a bit like a household cleaner. Not bad by any means but not what I was expecting... yes, I know it's brewed with lemon verbena and lemon oil.

Interesting taste. Plenty of lemon! It's not pure lemon, though. I'm getting plenty of an herbal, tea-like taste as well. A unique taste, no doubt, as I would expect from Stone but this one is a bit too lemony for my liking.

Great mouthfeel. Very creamy and full bodied. Good carbonation.

Overall, a very unique IPA. I appreciate the innovation that Stone brings to market but this one is a bit too artificial and lemony for me. I'm sure there are plenty that enjoy it but I can't get past thinking Lemon Pinesol.

22oz bottle
Summer '12
Russian River

A: Pour out a nice copper orange color. Typical DIPA color. About a half a finger of bright white head. Leaving some lacing.

S: Definitely pulling some of that lemon verbena and floral notes. Some of that herbal medicinal hints. Smells very hop forward that is for sure.

T: Nice amount of hop bitterness on the tip of the tongue. Not Ruination aggressive or anything. Lots of lemon rind, or zest. Really interesting hop flavors. Not a ton of malts. The booze is there on the back end. Warms a bit.

M: Medium bodied.

O: B

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - mostly clear bright bronze with a tower of light tan head that wasn't going anywhere, some random lacing
S - strong notes of wood, caramel, and spices up front, more subtle citrus, and a piney scent that is just a little abrasive almost like a cleaning product scent
T - spices, grass, and pine to start, then a lemon & pine soapiness that comes across a little artificial, finishes with an earl grey tea type flavour
M - medium body with healthy carbonation, slightly oily with big hop bitterness, alcohol masked well but still warm through the finish
O - I think this is just a case of trying to squeeze too much into a brew and the result is something that isn't quite sure of itself, unfocussed, and thus not great, not bad but not great as I was expecting

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours beautifully with a clear, copper color, tiny bubbles swirling toward the surface. A two-finger, meringue head formed that several minutes later remains a solid coating over the beverage.

Smell is pretty nice; not of the pedigree that lulls me into a brief, dreamlike, interludial trip to hop heaven. But there are definite hints of the promised lemon, and fruity, tropical, and spicy-peppery notes jump out as well.

Lemon; spice; lingering bitterness and warmth mixed with lemon flavor turns metallic and somewhat astringent throughout a lengthy finish. The body is surprisingly lithe and nimble for a 10% brew. A round sweetness pervades mid-quaff, but fades quickly as the lemony tang and bitter hops take over.

Overall I appreciate the beer; it's good to taste the lemon with more traditional double IPA flavors. However, it's not a combination that would produce repeat purchases from me if it were a regular release.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass. Bottled August 2012.

A: Fluffy white head fades sorta soon. Good lacing. Mild effervescence and amber clarity.

S: Huge hops. This smells 100+ IBU. Huge, piny hops with grapefruit rind and weed. Lemon zest and excellence.

T: Uh, what? The lemon oil/verbena is way overwhelming and makes it taste like my bathsoap (L'Occitane en Provence Lime Verbena). The IPA part is fine, but I don't really enjoy the additional citrus peel supplements. The aftertaste is bitter and earthy.

M: Substantial enough. Goodish carbonation.

O: You can't just throw hops at everything. The herbal nature of this beer puts me off. Not recommended from the bottle (though I seem to recall an excellent draft version).

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

22oz bottle. Served in Bailey's tulip.

A: Lightly rusted copper with an off-white/cream colored head that foams straight up from an aggressive pour. Looks pretty nice, I must say.

N: Well, it's an IPA. Shock coming from Stone, I know. Resinous pine, green peppercorn, earth, and some very light tropical fruit. However, the dominant flavor is the bitter hops. Slight hint of the lemon aspects, but they almost seem to come more from the hops.

T: More malt forward than I expected. There's a bit of lemon zest here, and more of the pine hoppiness. Has some pronounced medicinal qualities, as though I was going to rub this on my skin. Has a very woody quality, as well. Alcohol's well hidden for 10% though.

M: Probably the worst part of this. It's kind of oily and slick and it really coats the palate but it doesn't dry it out. I'm guessing that's lemon oil doing it.

O: Decent, I suppose. Drinkable and certainly worth a shot, but pretty much every DIPA I open from Stone, I want to be equivalent to their 10th Anniversary.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured goldish orange, A tyical IPA/DIPA look.

Smelled of hops in a big way. Grassy and floral. Some citrus popped out as well. As many others have mentions, the citrus was close to a lemon smell. It wasn't really that appealing as a smell, a bit to big, and if the nose were the flavor I would call in unbalanced.

The taste was goood. It had a citrus flavor, but the alcohol and the malt backbone did a good job of balancing the flavor. I thought the flavor made this 10% abv very drinkable. A bit much on the citrus flavors, but it did a good job in balancing some of the more mudane flavors.

Medium with a moderate amount of carbonation. Not thin, not thick, just right on a DIPA.

This beer will get you drunk, plain and simple. It's easy to drink, it has a high ABV, and it tastes pretty good. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to try this on draft, but it isn't one of the best examples of the style. I think Stone had big dreams for this beverage and they fell just a bit short, but it was still a high quality drink and one that I would certainly drink again if I found it on tap.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours out a clear amber with lots of suds and effervescence. Good lacing on the glass.
Aroma of lemon peel along with the floral hops and grapefruit rind. The alcohol is present here.
Taste is def. IPA. Bitter at first then boozy and finally sugars and lemon finish this one off.
Mouthfeel is very clean but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.
Overall this one is a bit hot and there isn't enough fruityness from the hop and the lemon/verbena.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a perfect pint.

4.0 A: Clear light orange color. Two and a half fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is pretty good given the ABV and a ton of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Surprisingly earthy. Usually Stone goes for floral and, while there is some of that, the hops are decidedly earthy. I'm loving the lemon components in this, which makes this come off somewhat like a hoppy saison. Though this is hop forward, the malts are quite potent as well. Plenty of caramel with just as much toastiness. This really isn't all that complex and I doubt many will think much of this nose, but I am just loving the lemon too much to not give it a good score.

3.5 T: The taste is good, but there isn't enough hops, which is something I rarely have to say about Stone's beers. To be fair, it does have a big earthy hoppiness, but I want some complexity from the hops. There is some floral and woody notes, but not enough. There is a good balance between hops and malts though. Caramel and toastiness sticks out quite well. Moderate to heavy moderate bitterness. Booze is just barely detectable. The lemon products give a nice earthy lemony vibe, but not much in terms of tartness. Still, I like what they bring.

3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Not a lot of creaminess given that this is an IPA, but it's not bad overall and it is quite smooth.

3.5 D: Decent effort. Doesn't "wow" me in any way, but it was worth a try.

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, as I pick up some light lemon, dry citrus and light pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but there's more of a malt presence than I expected, and the finish is alcoholic and hot. The beer has good bitterness, but it's not enough to counter the sweet malty alcohol flavor, and I don't think the lemon flavor helps a whole lot. Mourhfeel is medium bodied with a long, bitter, alcoholic finish. Drinkability is very poor... cannot imagine trying to down an entire bomber of this beer.

While not terrible, I think this is a miss for Stone. I had a difficult time even drinking the sampler size glass I got, and drinking the beer side by side with the excellent Stone double dry hop IPA really put things into perspective. Am not impressed with this one.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Light amber body with a bit of particulate matter. Nice fluffy white head, eventually turned into just a foam ring.

A- Lots of citrus and pine. Almost like cleaning supplies. Light rye.

T- Sweet malt flavor followed with a spicy hint of rye. Lemon flavors throughout. Hops just kick the citrus up a notch.

M- Medium body, moderate to high carbonation.

D- Enjoyable, but I probably wouldn't pick up another. The citrusy pine was just on the border of cleaning supplies. The light rye spiciness was a nice touch though.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Bomber poured into a Stella chalice

Nice white head with good retention and lacing. Body is cloudy orange.

Aroma is interesting - lots of citrus and floral smells intermingling, not overwhelmingly strong but still somewhat potent. Slight soapiness at the end.

Flavor threw me off a bit as it differs quite a bit from a standard IPA. Lemon and other citrus notes are here but they combine the other ingredients in an interesting way. Earthy and reminiscent of herbal tea. More bitter than sweet, moderately lingers.

Mouthfeel is as expected for a DIPA, medium-full bodied, good carbonation. 10% abv is contained well.

Overall it is an interesting deviation from the style but not one I will purchase again.

8/13/2012

Bottle into a snifter.

Dark orange with good clarity and a finger of white froth. Solid retention and scattered lacing.

The nose is a blend of pine, tangerine, mango, and papaya. I detect floral and lemon character as well. Soft notes of pumpernickel linger beneath the hop aromatics. There's a light sweetness that balances the expressive hop profile, as well as a touch of alcohol.

Lower moderate sweetness in the flavor accompanying rye, toasted malt, and a dash of spiciness. The beer is moderately bitter with an insistent booziness. Firm pine resin influence meets orange flesh and pith, grapefruit rind, and a dash of tangerine. Alcohol flavor waxes as the beer warms up and I slowly drain my glass. Upper medium in body with matching carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

A nice beer for what it is and for the ABV, but as was the case with Ruination 10th I'd rather they dropped the ABV a couple points as it's somewhat heavy on the palate and the alcohol flavor is a little too strong for my taste. Reminds me too much of an American Barleywine. I guess it's not really my type of Double IPA. Still pretty good though, and I think many will enjoy it.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

It's a beautiful looking beer. A rich amber, moderately opaque, nicotine white head (not meant to be disparaging, just the best description of the colour I can think of right now)

The nose is fairly weak. some vineous hops. little citrus

Taste is primarily bitter citrus hops, with a sweet malt backboard. Solid but not exceptional.

Dry bitter hops. Smoothe enough going down, but the back of the tongue just keeps going.

meh. it's ok, has its moments, but not exceptional

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 8 oz snifter.

A- Pours a nice orange with a 2 finger off-white head. Leapord spotting of lacing remains on the glass.

S- Caramel, orange, pineapple, lemon, spices.

T- Seet caramel, orange, lemon and spices (can't pick out but spice is familiar), pine and more lemon zest.

M- Medium body and carbonation. REally nice thick creamy mouthfeel. Rye might play a role in creaminess.

O- Just a ok dipa to me. Lemon and spice is a bit much and detracts from the beer for me.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up at ShopRite Liquors in Caldwell yesterday, since it was the only place I found this at. I was excited to try this since I enjoyed the other Anniversary beers from Stone but this was just a bit lacking. It was a good IPA with enough alcohol and taste to it but the lemon and spice detracted from the overall experience a bit. While this was aggressive and edgy, it was just a bit too much out of the norm for me and not up to par with most of their other offerings.

The pour to this was a strong almond color with a nice head and lacing to match. Lots of pine in the front with a bit of valencia-type orange underneath it. That was also present in the taste up-front which faded into a mix of grass and pepper, before the lemon just took over. Just a bit too much sourness to this as the spice lingered in the aftertaste. Quite aggressive, this was not a quick sipper and was not as thick in the body as I would have liked either.

Like most of the Stone beers, this was very strong in the booze department and it did detract from the beer. It almost reminded me of a hopped-up Saison except the hue to this was clear. It was a unique take on the style but the West Coast feel of this was overshadowed by the overpowering spiciness and the near-pucker that my face made at times. There's nothing out there like this but there's a good reason why this wasn't something attempted before. It didn't really work and it was only worth a try once, just to see what any fuss was about.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a tulip glass.

This beer provides an amber color with reddish and orangish tones. Definitely thick as an quintessential IPA would be, and the alcohol leggings and low carbonation make it seem pensive, patient, and quite elegant in presentation. Slightly modest head, which is impressive considering its high ABV. If this was slightly more filtered, it would look just like many homemade brews that come one's way (although whether they're a comparable quality product is the question here...).

The aroma is definitely quite strong and diverse, and I'm immediately reminded that this is indeed a San Diego hoppy product. The Amarillo hops are extremely recognizable, and malty rye smell is predominantly featured. Not too tropical or lemony though... getting more orange and grapefruit aromas. No alcohol at all, no matter how much it warms up. Approach with caution.

Spiced rye and hop explosion! Add that to a dry and lemon finish, and you essentially have a bare description of what this beer tastes like. No alcohol present in the taste or finish, but sadly no tropical flavors to my liking. I definitely enjoy that the rye flavor is more subtle than expected, and the lemon, herby finish is really nice and smooth. In terms of body, it's a good take on the "classic" SD Imperial IPA - meaning that it's definitely more the type I like - but the flavors seem a bit conflicting at times, especially as it goes from overtly bitter to spicy to a little sour - but never sweet. The finish is fabulous, though, and makes it an overall easy beer to drink.

Nevertheless, while it still is a great product by Stone, I feel a little underwhelmed overall, despite the fact that the rye/lemon combo worked pretty well here. It's definitely not "tropical" enough, and the citrus flavors, while good, are slightly conflicting with the lemon sour and dryness. It makes a very good accompaniment with food - I drank this with fried tuna filet and spinach which were soaked in butter, fried garlic, and a dash of lemon. Alone however? A good beer, but perhaps not my personal favorite the sector of SD imperial IPAs. I always make question to support Stone, but they've definitely had more thrilling anniversary ales in the past.

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper with a off white head. Lots of sticky lace and good head retention. Some haze. Aroma balances pineapple and malt with less tropical fruit that expected. Flavor is less complex than other Stone IPAs. Leans toward the dry side. Lots of bitterness in the finish and mild acidity. Some alcohol present middle to finish. Medium to medium heavy body and very rich. Medium plus carbonation.

Probably should have open it sooner. Aug 2012 date, consumed 19-Jan-13. Stored in refrigerator at a fairly cold temperature (~40-45).

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a dark orange color with a large off-white head with decent retention. Thin lacing forms all around the glass.

S: Lots of lemon and pine, almost reminds me of lemon pine-sol. Some light citrus fruits, a little bit of spice, and faint alcohol. Overall there is a perfumy/soapy aroma that I don't really dig.

T: Interestingly, there is some candied sugar mixed in with lemon, lemon zest and a little bit of rye spice. On the finish there is a bit of grapefruit and pine.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The pine-sol aspect doesn't really do much for me.

O: Not bad, not really sure why they had to make the abv so high, I think at around 7% it would have been a little better.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Fresh bomber poured into a globe glass, showing a clear light copper with half an inch of slightly off white foam. Decent retention and lace from a steady boil of carbonation.

Aroma of citrus and pine and moderately coarse in nature. Bit of lemon and mango but surely not the lemon oil/pledge others pick up on. I've had beers with that aroma and I'm glad it isn't too flamboyant here. Instead I get a subtle floral/lemon spice note, though a bit too much agitation does push the potpourri essence a bit much.

Flavor follows with hop spice dominant along with a surprisingly light malt backbone. Even warm the alcohol is hardly evident on the aroma or taste, and that's without an obvious malty coverup. Bit of citric/orange malt is present but doesn't come across as being viscous or debilitating/cloying. Offers a good carbonation and a creamy feel. Bitterness is quite subtle and balanced, especially for Stone.

Overall a well done brew that gently nudges the rules without bending them too much. Head lacks a bit as for stickiness and the aroma is solid yet not riveting. Nonetheless, at 10% this beer drinks silly smooth. Use caution.

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.