16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

22oz bottle. Pours a translucent brownish orange with an inch of head. Lots of lacing. Strong lemon aroma. Some citrus and pine. Almost has a Pine Sol smell from the combo of pine and lemon. The taste is more subdued than the aroma. Lemon with some pine hops and floral notes. Slight alcohol burn. Some grapefruit bitterness towards the end. Somewhat of a medicinal taste. Decent Imperial but I'm a bit disappointed considering the source. Overall, decent but I don't need to buy another one.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours out a clear amber with lots of suds and effervescence. Good lacing on the glass.
Aroma of lemon peel along with the floral hops and grapefruit rind. The alcohol is present here.
Taste is def. IPA. Bitter at first then boozy and finally sugars and lemon finish this one off.
Mouthfeel is very clean but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.
Overall this one is a bit hot and there isn't enough fruityness from the hop and the lemon/verbena.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear orange-red body with a tall white head. The lacing is brief.

Smells of orange, herbal, and slight lemon. The herbal aspect seems to cover up the pleasant citrus.

Ugh, not exactly what I was expecting. It's overly bitter and tastes like sucking on a stale tea bag. There's some redeeming orange flavor, but I keep coming back to the heavy herbal taste. The lemon is almost non-existant.

I don't like the mouthfeel much, either. It's dry and bitter, but in a cottonmouth kind of way. It almost leaves me parched.

Unfortunately, this one was a disappointment to me. I absolutely love Stone and this one was a detour from their usual path. It just didn't work.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

A - pours a honey amber color, with a half finger of white head that laces slowly, held aloft by light amounts of carbonation

S - citrus pops into my nose first, quickly tailed by some piney hops, some lemony hints at the end separate from the typical grapefruitiness of the hops profile

T - the hops don't hold back, a sweet pine flavor that is the bitter hops with a wash of lemon sweetness, I was worried that the lemon flavor would be like Pledge, like the lemon flavor in the Lemon infused Coca-Cola.

M&D - hides the alcohol well, smoother than expected, I thought it would be a little more effervescent. It is complex and layered and flavored magnificently. Stone does it again!!

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: Golden orange. Clear. Bright-white head. Smooth and creamy. Drops to a thin cap and chunky collar. Some solid notches of lacing.

Smell: Tropical from the start. Tangerine and a touch of peach. Big hit of lemon candy. Bright. Mild spiciness in the back. Almost no malt presence. Tiny hints of bready sweetness. It smells like a tropical Lemonhead. Slightly herbal and earthy. Dustings of pine. So much sweet lemon goodness.

Taste: Spicy rye with a big compliment of lemon verbena. Grass, herbal, and earthy. Some malts back it up a touch. Dry bread. Spiciness lingers. Some other fruit, mainly pears and apples. Aspirin-like bitterness. Reminds me of bergamot at times. Lots going on.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, moderate carbonation. Lingering dry spiciness.

Overall: A hot mess from Stone. All the big IPA/DIPA flavors are there, but they don't quite come together like I was hoping. Big huge layers, but it's not a whole cake. The cake is a lie.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Clear orange gold pour with a sparse, large bubble stream up the center of the glass. Billowing 2-finger cream head. Very nice retention and laces well.

Nose is lemon and tropical fruit hops, mainly mango and papaya. Floral hops are here too. Mild, but pleasant.

Taste is stronger tropical fruit. Lemon is there, too, as is the verbena. Definite floral hop presence. Light pepper feel sneaks in towards the end, adding a bit of spice. Picking up orange later in the glass. Moderately dry finish with a decent blast of bitters. Fruity, but very tasty.

Feel is slightly thick and a bit oily, as expected. Not overly heavy, though.

Overall, I'd say they hit what they were aiming for. If fruity, floral IPAs are your thing then this is well worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

From tap into a 10oz nonic.

A-Nice golden color with hints of copper. A thin, light khaki head recedes quickly leaving lots of lace.

S-great hops with pine and spices. Definite lemon notes. Picked up a little rye/grain, but, surprisingly, not much alcohol.

T-Hops and spice, with a touch of lemon. I noticed a little malt on the mid-palate. As it warmed, the rye flavor came on stronger and the spices grew. Hints of bourbon/vanilla towards the end.

M-pretty dry, but not mouth puckering. Long finish with moderate carbonation.

O-a big, bold beer that I really enjoyed. A complex IPA. I liked it, but I cannot decide if I would drink more than one per day.

Edit: I tried this brew again from the bottle and found the taste to be much more sweet...almost cloying. Whereas the tap pour had a crisp flavor and feel, the bottle seemed to be more artificial tasting. Almost like Stone was trying too hard. If I could, I would drop my taste and mouthfeel scores by a few notches.

3.85/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance is light copper with a finger of fluffy head that retained rather well and left some intricate lace stickiness on the glass, Lemon nose, but there is also the presence of fresh hops, as well. The flavor throughout is certainly reminiscent of the West Coast IPA style, but it is not the most bitter Stone offering by any means and it lacks the classic hop bitter punch at the end. Supposedly, this was made with rye malts, but I am not catching any presence of rye spiciness. There is a touch of alcohol presence on the finish, but that does not detract too much from the tastiness of this offering.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Consumed 8/28/12

Appearance: Clear, light amber - copper, gold when held to the light - little, white head that fades to a little ring - leaves a few specs of lacing

Smell: Lemon candy is center stage. but there are a lot of aromas in here - lemon, touches of other citrus (grapefruit), and some tropical notes (pineapple chunks), and some dry pine needles - some spiciness, slightly herbal, with a touch of grass - some booze - overall it kind of smells like tea, loaded with lemon, with a packet of sugar

Taste: Again, liquid lemon candy - hints of grapefruits, but it's mostly just lemon rinds - spicy rye, more spicy than the smell would suggest - earthy, herbal, grassy - some cooked, yet dry, bready malts - some tea-like flavors - kind of reminiscent of an Arnold Palmer, but with booze (apparently called a John Daly... hmmm)

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, oily, slick, adequately carbonated, a bit sticky

Overall: Ok, but weird

I like this, but it's not really what I was expecting. Maybe I just don't appreciate lemon enough. Honestly, I actually had to look up what "lemon verbena" was. Apparently it's a shrub (thank you, Wikipedia). That may explain the tea-like properties. Anyway, I love Stone, and I may revert to believing that the Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was actually the 16th anniversary beer. Because that kicked ass. This does not.

Update: I grew tired of the taste quickly after starting to drink the second half of my bomber. And I woke up the next morning with a raging headache, sick to my stomach, and sweating uncontrollably. Either my body hates this beer or I got a 6-hour West Nile virus. Taste and overall scores have been reduced slightly from my previous scoring.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up at ShopRite Liquors in Caldwell yesterday, since it was the only place I found this at. I was excited to try this since I enjoyed the other Anniversary beers from Stone but this was just a bit lacking. It was a good IPA with enough alcohol and taste to it but the lemon and spice detracted from the overall experience a bit. While this was aggressive and edgy, it was just a bit too much out of the norm for me and not up to par with most of their other offerings.

The pour to this was a strong almond color with a nice head and lacing to match. Lots of pine in the front with a bit of valencia-type orange underneath it. That was also present in the taste up-front which faded into a mix of grass and pepper, before the lemon just took over. Just a bit too much sourness to this as the spice lingered in the aftertaste. Quite aggressive, this was not a quick sipper and was not as thick in the body as I would have liked either.

Like most of the Stone beers, this was very strong in the booze department and it did detract from the beer. It almost reminded me of a hopped-up Saison except the hue to this was clear. It was a unique take on the style but the West Coast feel of this was overshadowed by the overpowering spiciness and the near-pucker that my face made at times. There's nothing out there like this but there's a good reason why this wasn't something attempted before. It didn't really work and it was only worth a try once, just to see what any fuss was about.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance - Pours a fairly clear deep amber color with an off-white, 2 finger head. Good retention. The resulting lace is thick and sticky.

Smell - Notes of citrus; sweet grapefruit, subtle pine and a touch of mild lemon sitting beneath.

Taste - Strongly herbal with big notes of lemon and pine. Sweet malt undertones. Hints of grapefruit pith. Sharp hop bitterness on the back end, eats away at the palate well into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with silky carbonation. Goes down smooth despite the ABV and the aggressive flavor.

Overall - A well crafted brew, but I'm not sold on the strong herbal character. Reminiscent of their collab beer Saison du BUFF, only with a serious bump in citrus hoppage. Does well to hide the hefty 10% ABV; easier to drink than it should be.

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.