16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,386 | Reviews: 392
3.43/5  rDev -10%

A - Dark golden brown, 1.5 finger off white head.

S - Pine, spices, and lemon peel

T - I didn't know what to expect from the lemon peer and spices in there... it wasn't overpowering, but it seemed slightly out of place. When I taste those flavors I expect some sort of wheat beer or something, not the bitterness that comes from a 10% ABV DIPA - so for me it was an odd combination and the flavors didn't mix well. It was not bad at all and I was glad I tried it, but I also don't think it's "my thing."

M - The mouth feel was nice. Medium / Heavy bodied with nice carbonation that really holds the flavors in.

O - I'm glad I gave this beer a go, and at $6.99 a bomber I would recommend trying it, but it was not my favorite offering from Stone.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz bottle
Served into a globe glass

A: Fairly clear amber copper colored body with a creamy, bubbly off-white one finger head. Lacing is pretty good as well as nice amounts of retention on the surface.

S: Big citrus hops, lemon and orange oil, sweet sugary malts. Sort of reminded me of a sugar-coated orange slice candy with touches of floral hops too.

T: More lemon and orange oil up front, almost as if this were some sort of extract; very potent. Citrus, floral and a dash of piney hops on the palate. Finish is fairly bitter into the linger.

M: Just a bit thin though it does have a nice feel and creaminess for the style. Easy drinking with a small amount of alcohol.

This was a nice beer but the oils just were a bit too much at times I felt. If those could have been dialed back a bit to let more of the rich malts and floral hops come out, this would be a big winner.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle opened on 8.19.12.

A - Pours a clear, medium orange with a 3/4 inch, cream-colored head with good retention.

S - Citrusy sweet, lots of lemon, and some slight pine.

T - Lemon peel, citrus and light pine followed by some spices.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - Citrusy lemon with a rye-spice finish.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

22 oz. bottle poured into goblet.

A: Slightly hazy amber color with a one-finger white head. Nice lacing and retention.

S: I smell pine hops, a bit of lemon and spicy malt.

T: It's different, that's for sure. Lemon oil immediately up front. It fades near the end. There's also your usual dose of herbal, pine, and citrus hops (taste intensity in that order.) Malt is there, but not too strong. They said they added some rye to the malt and you can tell. The spicy malt complements the lemon fairly nicely, actually.

M: About average for the style. Nothing spectacular, but not bad. Smooth, medium body, slick mouthfeel. The quirky taste hurts drinkability just a little bit. Alcohol isn't noticeable.

O: It's definitely a different DIPA. The lemon adds an interesting twist, but it's a bit too much, in my opinion. I think a tad less lemon and more citrusy and pine hops would work well. However, it's Stone...they're all about going over the top.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pretty looking beer, pours a bright and clear copper color with a nice fluffy off white head.

Aromas are of stinky resin, orange zest, and lemons.

Taste is definitely a bit different than your standard DIPA. Resiny, floral, lemon notes and with a sticky sweetness. Finish is bitter, with some orange, and hard candy notes.

Mouthfeel is smooth with good body.

Overall, an interesting beer, maybe not really my cup of tea. Worth trying though because it's certainly unique.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Poured out a clear, golden amber color with a two-finger, head of khaki-colored foam. It left thin rings of sticky lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of lemon, pine and some spices. A touch of toastiness, too.

T - Very bitter and spicy - almost too much. The lemon flavor was too much. There was a good caramel sweetness to combat some of that.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium to full bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is interesting. I can't say I loved it. I hope it mellows. I am going to save my other one for later.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Appearance - Pours a fairly clear deep amber color with an off-white, 2 finger head. Good retention. The resulting lace is thick and sticky.

Smell - Notes of citrus; sweet grapefruit, subtle pine and a touch of mild lemon sitting beneath.

Taste - Strongly herbal with big notes of lemon and pine. Sweet malt undertones. Hints of grapefruit pith. Sharp hop bitterness on the back end, eats away at the palate well into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with silky carbonation. Goes down smooth despite the ABV and the aggressive flavor.

Overall - A well crafted brew, but I'm not sold on the strong herbal character. Reminiscent of their collab beer Saison du BUFF, only with a serious bump in citrus hoppage. Does well to hide the hefty 10% ABV; easier to drink than it should be.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

Clear deeply amber colored ale with a small white head. This is the color I call IPA Orange.

Smell is citrus and soap with tea scent. There is a delicate floral scent that is not obscured by the hops. The best I can describe the floral scent is roses. That said it isn't that aromatic.

Starts out semi-dry and savory without any complexities. Alcohol stings the tongue a bit. Alcohol warms the chest without really being detectable in the taste. Strong tea and wood with a little burnt sugar taste. Reasonably bitter. Honestly not that flavorful.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall I am severely disappointed. Stone can make better beer than this. I will try this again at a later date and confirm or revise my low opinion of this beer.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

22 oz bomber dated August 2012 poured into a goblet.

Pours a clear, orange with a sticky looking off white tight bubble head.

Smell is a citrus and pine delight.

Taste is different than I expected. I defintely taste the lemon in this. It sort of takes the place of orange I expected. It makes this a nice balance to the malt bill delivered in a 10% abv beer. Kudos for Stone for trying new things.

Mouthfeel is full, sticky and pretty oily.

Overall this is a good beer. The lemon reminds me of some of the saisons that use lemon. I cannot taste the alcohol.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%

22oz bottle marked August 2012. Poured into a tulip. Served around 40*F.

A: Perfectly clear amber/copper, with a light one-finger head which quickly dissipates to a dusting, and leaves behind nice lacing. Love the way this beer looks... it almost glows.

S: A strong hop smell, mixed with lemon, grass, grapefruit. Becomes less hoppy and more peppery and malty as it warms. Though the smell was good, you really had to pay attention and seek it out. A little subtle for my likes.

T: Pine, citrus (grapefruit, lemon rind), floral and spicy. Hoptastic. This is very fresh, and the flavors reflect it.

M: As a good DIPA should, this coats the mouth. Low carbonation and a smooth, thick mouthfeel. Oily hops and a lemon/bitter aftertaste are left behind. A slight tingle from the high ABV.

O: I set the bar really high for this one. Great hop selection, and the malt balances it very well. The lemon oil adds a bit more zing in the aftertaste department, and the mouthfeel is appropriate for a DIPA. Nice touch with the rye, as well. Definitely a great beer. Happy 16th, Stone!

Review #4 - 8/26/12

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.