16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 392 | Hads: 1,388
3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: the IPA look is a blend of orange-amber beauty and this beer does not disappoint. Two finger tan head.

Smell: you can smell the alcohol in this beer. Floral citrus notes. The alcohol is a bit off-putting.

Taste: strong! Some 10% beers don't taste like they are 10%. This is not one of them! Hoppy! Is this really a single IPA? Hits like a DIPA to me.

Mouthfeel: a bit oily. Proper carbonation, easy to drink.

Overall: glad I was able to pick one of these up! I really enjoy Stone beers and this one is definitely on par. (537 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

Served from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber orange, cloudy but very clean looking without any visual sediment. Looks beautiful!

Solid white, three fingers of tight foamy head. Dissipated into two fingers after about 60 seconds, one finger 60 seconds after that, and mostly dissipated completely about 4-5 minutes after the pour - retention is great here. Leaves a nice sticky spiral lacing. 5/5

Aroma: The nose is of piney hops with a floral hint (the lemon grass coming through.) Fairly moderate, not overpowering. Smells a lot like the "Arrogant/Double Bastard" varieties, but maybe slightly weaker. Nothing offensive in the aroma though and it has great depth and pleasant appeal, I just wish it was ever so slightly more powerful because I had to really get my nose on it to pick up the full aroma. 4/5

Taste: Tastes a lot like it smells, but it's definitely got a more potent flavor than what the aroma would lead you to expect. Pine hops galore - tastes a lot like the beers that are continually hopped in stages. I'm not an overly huge fan of most IPAs in general because of the piney flavor, but I try not to deduct points on personal taste - this is what you're supposed to get with a beer in this category, and it does its job very well. It's a hop head's dream, but it's mostly solely piney and lacks the depth and subtle complexity that's present in the aroma.

I didn't pick up much, if any, of the lemon verbena. There is a light hint of sweet, earthy malts but not enough to counter the nearly overpowering pine hops which stand out much more than anything else. A perfectly layered flavor should have nothing in particular overshadowing anything else. It is possible to have a high EBU beer that's still nicely balanced and with amazing depth and complexity; this one misses the mark by unfortunately choosing to follow the trend of "hops, hops, pine, high EBU, more hops". While this trend does have a small cult following, it is not the hallmark of a good IPA in my opinion, and following trends is not typically Stone's style, so I found this a bit uncharacteristic. There is nothing wrong with high EBUs and excessive hopping as long as it's balanced and sports good depth and some complexity. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: The first thing that stands out for me is the gravity. This beer is nice and thick, heavy but not overly heavy. Leaves a very light tingle on the tip of the tongue. Goes down very smooth, but the carbonation is lacking. I would have liked just a touch more pop rather than a mostly flat feel. 4/5

Overall I'm giving this beer a 4/5. This is definitely a fine craft beer, and I would expect no less from Stone. However, for all the things that this beer gets right, it misses the mark in another area, albeit just barely, but there are enough small things to merit an overall loss of a full point.

To me, it seems like they are riding on the coat tails of beers like DFH 90 Minute IPA, Victory's Hopdevil and Troegs' Nugget Nectar with this one. Stone doesn't need to stand on the shoulders of giants - they have proven in the past that they can stand on their own, and I hope this isn't a sign of them resigning from uniqueness and innovation. (3,202 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12.9%

22 oz bomber pours a mostly clear, dark gold color with a sticky, fluffy, long-lasting white head. Veeery nice looking brew. Tons of chunky lace and retention is great.

I can smell the lemon verbena right off, very lemon-grassy and herbal. There is a light undertone of lightest-of-caramel malts and some various hop pine hop aromas. The verbena dominates to me though.

Same way in the flavor for my palate, I have been exposed to a few lemon verbena beers in the past and the flavor just is so pervasive to me. I do like the flavor a little though, so at least that is working in my favor. It is very herbal and grassy with alot of hop flavor and moderate hop bitterness. The malts are light, but sweet. They never give off that crushed graininess that seems like would help the beer balance out the herbal-ness a little bit. The sweetness from the grain does nothing to offset the alcohol or the verbena-hoppiness. It is a bit too minty and pungent for me, but I can appreciate the offering. I could see others liking this, but if you don’t like verbena, I would not recommend. (1,083 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color with a light tan head. In the aroma, lemon notes with some orange citrus. In the the taste, orange citrus hops, with dry lemon peel. Kind of a dry to sweet to dry context. A small hop bite and a a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lemon peel and note of citrus in the aftertaste. Nice lemon dry versus a orange citrus sweetness, I was expecting a note of rye, but the hops were bigger. (428 characters)

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Golden tan/yellow with a creamy 1 inch head and lots of foamy lacing.

Smell - Lemon , orange, pineapple, lots of floral hops. Some yeasts and a little malt backbone. Major hops up front.

Taste - FIrst sip you get the lemon, thick, oily resin mixed with tropcal fruits. Lots of sugary yeasts, some minor caramel malts and alcohol warmth. I also get alot of orange and pineapple. A bit grassy/farmhouse like finish.

Mouthfeel - Mouth gets hop coated along with the lemon oils, leaving a resin on tounge. Palate gets tons of hops and lemon, along with the alcohol warmth. Aftertaste is dry, semisweet and bitter.

Overall - Interesting ipa. I really enjoy the unique flavor profile of this. I look at it like this, its a anniversary beer, something special, different not same old dipa. I enjoyed this, its easy to drink for being so strong, and im already looking forward to next years release. Try it out if you get a chance. (968 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

A: A nice transparent dark orange in color, with nice retention and awesome lacing around the glass, a nice finger of white head at the top.

S: Lots of citrus and tropical fruit, great floral notes up front, a great nose on this brew.

T: Strong hoppyness, lots of floral notes and strong alcohol presence. The malt brings out the spicyness. A good tasting brew.

M: Dry and stickey, moderate carbonation, nice warm feeling from this DIPA.

O: This is great brew, I enjoyed it very much, I would say this is probably one of the most bitter DIPA's from Stone, but still awesome. (579 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

A: a finger of bluish white head fades to fizz on top. Marigold-orange body for a typical EPA
S: lots of grapefruit and earthy aromas. I was expecting lemon from what I remembered of the description but got mostly spice and earth. Rereading the bottle, it was likely the rye, which came through nicely.
T: typical bitterness from stone, a bit more overpowering in this one than others like ruination. No explicit lemon flavor but there was a bit of sourness and an almost savory flavor that sounds bizarre but fit in nicely behind the bitterness.
M: smooth and creamy- top notch for an ipa (589 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a beautiful copper/golden color with a two finger head of fine slightly copper colored bubbles, beautiful lacing, reasonably stable head with residual foam across top for quite some time.

S: Lemon Citrus and Tropical fruit mixed with sweet malt aromas. Sweetness of the malts begin to come through on the aroma.

T: Strong grapefruit bitterness and tropical hops followed immediately by a bracing bitterness on the back of the tongue and an almost cloying sweetness. Surprisingly, both the bite of the bitter and the sweetness dissipate fairly rapidly to give a light bitter and malty, but not sweet finish. Lemon noticeable in the aroma is not obvious in the taste. Almost to sweet but not quite.

M: Amazingly creamy head with nice medium mouthfeel in the beer. Very nice.

O: Very nice overall with much to recommend it. Only downfall in my mouth is the almost overdone sweetness. (893 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured 22 oz bomber into a DFH globe...nice amber color with a frothy white head. Nice looking. Smells ok- piney hops mixed with citrus, but a lemony almost peppery smell knocks it south. Taste is sour hops, best way I can describe it....Kind of tastes like bile (in a good way, i guess, since there is alcohol in it). I can taste the lemon but it doesn't really help the flavor. The mouthfeel is good, medium-bodied with a nice carb level. Overall I can't get behind this one too much, after the first half glass I was wondering how I was going to finish it. I think the 10% ABV coaxed me into it. Would not buy again. (619 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

Big off white to light yellow head slowly settles into a nice lacing above a copper honey colored beer.

Light pine and floral notes mixed with citrus hops, with some lemon aroma.

A light quick bitter bite hits with the first sip and is followed with lemony citrus, pine, and some floral like hops tastes that kind of finishes with a light caramel malt that isn't to strong.

A dryish aftertaste with some light citrus hops tastes hanging around on this solid medium bodied IPA.

A pretty decent IPA, but I think there are quite a few better IPA's waiting in store coolers that cost less. That's not saying there's anything bad about this, it's just that I think there are better IPA's like Happy Camper, and some of Stone's own stuff. (736 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a clean and crisp golden honey with a finger if bright white head. Left some decent lacing down my glass.

The aroma is dominated by lemon oil with some lemon zest and a touch of grassy hops.

Taste follows the nose but with even more lemon. Just a mess. Lemon oil dominates the taste. Getting some lemon grass as well and a little spiciness.

Medium to full in body with an appropriate amount of carbonation. Finishes dry with a lemon aftertaste. Can't escape the lemon...

Overall, this beer didn't do it for me. Lemon overload and pretty sloppy in my opinion. I guess this was just a we did it because we can or a we are out of good ideas or holy shit we have a surplus of lemons and we need to get rid of them... Not worth the money. Just like McKayla Maroney, I'm not impressed. (789 characters)

Appearance: Amber-gold, good head.

Smell: Citrus, lemon in the background.

Taste: Bitter citrus to start but not too harsh. Lemon note stays in the background throughout. As it warms up, more sweetness comes through, nice caramel flavor.

Overall: Had to give the Stone anniversary beer a try. I was a little surprised as it seemed more "balanced" than I expect from Stone. Still on the hoppy side, but not over-the-top. The lemon flavors stayed in the background but added a little interesting touch to the beer. (515 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

22 oz. bomber split with my wife while watching Aragorn kill orcs. What better way to spend a Saturday night?

Pour is a clean orange/red with typhoon-level carbonation swirling the liquid. Nose is attractive. Cloudburst of lemon & citrus, plus an outpouring of sweet malts. No hop bitterness, but that's OK. Very nice.

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA is good. Front row is lemon & massively sweet malts, which cancel out whatever lemon tartness may have arisen; bitterness sneaks in behind with bunny ears held high. Citrus & spice in the mid-section, but the lemon oil & surreal bitterenss reassert themselves & stick around for the long run. Nice combination that I feel like swigging with wild abandon. Sticky.

Strange but pleasing combination of flavors. Doesn't quite reach the spot that gives me joy, but darn close. Very good beer. (839 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into my awesome oversized 25 oz. snifter.

Appearance: Beer pours a pretty standard dark, rust orange color with about two fingers of light khaki colored head. The head quickly sunk into a thin layer but was nice enough to leave some extraordinary lacing in its wake.

Smell: Over the top tropical fruit notes as well as plenty of lemon as well, obviously. A touch of sweet caramel malt with some rye spiciness. Overall, a lot going on here in the nose but its well married and inviting.

Taste: Incredibly, the first flavor that I pick out is the rye. It's spicy, crisp and a nice change for Stone. There's ample citrus hops flavor throughout. Besides the rye, not much else going on malt-wise. Finish is mildly bitter with a kick of boozy heat.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and mildly under-carbonated in my opinion. Some warmth from the 10% but it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the beer.

Overall: A good IPA and somewhat of a departure for Stone with the rye and the lemon oil. Overall, I think I enjoye Stone's regular lineup of IPAs better than this one but its worth checking out before its gone. (1,131 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a mid-orange with a nice lacing, bright white head. Herbal aroma. Lemons, spice, hints of grapefruit and a bit of rye. Sweet, herbal flavor profile to begin. Really slight lemon notes, before a spicy, bitter pine and rye finish. Interesting flavor combinations, but doesn't seem to work all that well together. Flavors mesh to form what seems like an old IPA taste, even though this one is very fresh. (407 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip

A golden orange liquid with a two finger ecru cap. The cap falls slowly with some big sip marks as I work my way through.

The nose is of fusel alcohol, lemons, pine, rye, grapefruit, and lightly toasted pale malt. Fairly straightforward until that big dose of lemons hit you.

On the palate, it follows the nose. The rye lends a spicy note that complements the tart citric nature of the lemons nicely. A good sized malt driven heft mid-palate. Some grapefruit and pine up front with fusel alcohol on the back end. A moderate warming lingers.

Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Smooth with a good amount of booze on the back end. In time, a pleasing hop bitterness builds, covering up the booze.

A different IPA, reminding me of sorachi ace prominent ales. Flavorful and big; the 10% is not bashful. Good bitterness that will satisfy any hophead's craving....as expected from Stone. (921 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from the bomber into my oversized wine glass. This beer pours a slightly cloudy/hazy, but mostly clear medium to dark amber/copper color. The creamy looking off-white head is about an inch thick when poured before settling to a nice thick surface coating with a thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Very nice lacing! Aromas of caramel and rye malt are noticeably present and gives way to citrus, earthy hops with hints of lemon. Flavor wise this beer is certainly complex, with the lemony citrus, earthy hop presence that gives way to sweet, biscuity caramel malt that is rounded out with a nice touch of rye. The hops aren't really very bitter at all here, which I guess I initially found to be odd being that this is a double IPA from Stone. But I like the fact that this is a unique take on a double IPA. Has a crisp, yet smooth and creamy, medium to full bodied mouth feel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the way good beer like this should be! Another excellent beer from Stone!

Eric (1,013 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

Clear coppery amber with a light beige cap, good head retention, chunky lacing. Aromas of lemony citrus, some zest and pith, herbal and earthy, with caramel and toasted malts. Bitterness threatened to overpower the flavour and alcohol was present throughout. Lemon and herbal hops, toasted and caramel sweetness, slight woodiness, higher alcohols. Lingering lemons, rye, and slight spice. Medium to full bodied with nicely integrated carbonation, alcohol warmth, slight dryness in the finish. Pretty good overall, but the flavour was a bit muddled by the bitterness and alcohol, making it difficult to fully enjoy the other flavours present. (641 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

16th Anniversary IPA opens with the massive, hoppy nose that Stone is known for, ripe with pink grapefruit and grapefruit rind, with only slightly lesser rivers of pine resin, and supporting threads of lemon, eucalyptus, and, just at the edge, bitter dandelion stem. The lemon scent moves beyond just that which could be attributed to hops, however, as the addition of lemon verbena and lemon oil adds a nice lemongrass undertone (which, pessimistically, could be taken to resemble lemon Pledge). Orange, apricot, and brown sugar add fruitiness and body. There’s also a good layer of pepper and spice, like grains of paradise, as well as some remnants of toast crust and biscuit. But the aromas are mainly hops and lemon and, as a whole, are good. They are, however, somewhat lighter than expected, and could have used a bit more sugar to increase the nuance and complexity.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a massive lemon blast that is both citrus bitter and oily at the same time, the natural lemon from the hops mixing with oil, Lemonhead candy, and lemongrass flavor that does unfortunately carry a Pledge-like tone as it moves through the nostrils. Hops add further complexity, with grapefruit rind, pine resin, dandelion, mint, and hints of anise. There’s also a bit of orange and apricot, as well as toast crust. However, over half of the flavors are lemony, and the beer seems out of balance because of this. The lemon flavors last throughout the mouthful, and continue to dominate the aftertaste, with lingering touches of pepper and pine resin. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, I liked many of the more basic notes in here, and have a feeling that there’s a good IPA beneath all of the lemon verbena and lemon oil. However, these latter two ingredients are present in such quantity that they end up dominating the beer, mixing strangely with the hops to provide an oil slick lemon-and-pine slurry that does remind me slightly of furniture polish. (1,991 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Transparent molasses in body with giant white head that fades to a thin film. Aroma of spicy rye, lemon sharpness, pine, bathroom cleaner, grass, and booze. Tastes of spicy rye, lemon, grass, molasses, bitterness and hop oil slickness. Thick in body with light carbonation. For such a complex brew Stone does a laudable job of bringing it all under one partying roof. (367 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

A-pours a nice amber color with an off white sudsy head with great retention and clings to the glass
S-lemon definitely comes through but is not a cleaning product aroma, spiciness from the hops, citrus and tropical fruits
T-a bit muddy. There is the aspects of the lemon and citrus and mixes with the sweetness of the malts but comes across in one big blob. More lemon in the finish
M-medium-full, a bit thick for my taste
O-interesting and I like the lemon, I just felt as if the flavors weren't as precise as I thought they would be. The mouthfeel seemed dense even for the style. I can imagine this might get rough to drink if it warms up too much. overall not a bad beer (675 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Clear copper with a two finger, off-white, foamy head. Good lacing.

Aroma: Smell that lemon essence in there. Definitely a hop-forward beer, not getting much more than crystal malt. Wish the hops were more pungent.

Taste: The lemon oil adds an interesting flavor. It's sort of a lemon tea taste. The other hop flavors are much less pronounced than usual but they follow the West Coast style that Stone is known for. The bitterness (which is moderate) comes in about halfway through and transitions into a bit of a piney taste near the end. If the lemon wasn't in there this would be a pretty predictable palate. The malts do a good job of balancing the flavor and smoothing out the hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Exactly what a DIPA should be, just above medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Almost creamy feeling at times.

Final Thoughts: While I'm not completely sold on the addition of lemon verbena and lemon oil, it's still an interesting beer that's worth having at least once. The supporting cast of hops and malts work great and the lemon flavor comes out just enough to be noticed (thankfully not enough to be annoying). It might not be up there with the best Stone has to offer, but it's not half bad. (1,221 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Darker shade of amber. Forms a rather small, creamy, off-white head. Good retention, but there's not much there to start with. Some moderate lacing.

S: Light notes of caramel and rye malts with a more perceptible dose of citrus hops. Some light lemon.

T: Starts off with a pretty good amount of whole lemon. Lemon peel and lemon pith. But the "brightness" of the lemon is tempered by a a woodsy, malty, earthiness. There is a hint of peppery spice from the rye. Finishes with a slight umami note. Intriguing.

M: Medium bodied and a little meaty with a moderate to strong bitterness. Medium carbonation. There is a slight bit of alcoholic heat, but I admit that sometimes I like the way rye plays with fusel spice.

O: This beer is a hard one to place, but, in the end, I enjoyed it quite a bit. There is an interplay between the earthy rye and the citrus lemon that is very interesting. Not sure where the verbena comes in, but it still works for me. (960 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a crystal clear shade of orange with a puffy, two finger head. Amazing looking beer, can't find any fault at all

S- light citrus, a decent bit of lemon, some nice rye coming through as well. Solid

T- I'm getting an even mix of the lemon and the rye, a bitter, spicy flavor. The bitterness lingers for awhile, but it doesn't cripple you like something like Ruination. Balanced pretty well IMO

M- medium bodied, on the heavy side....no complaints here

O- typical great IPA from Stone. Better than the 14th Anny, worse then Ruination 10th, and about even with the 15th. Well done (630 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy amber with a thick off-white head that leaves rings of lacing down the glass. Has a nice herbal, peppercorn and citrus hop aroma with a decent toffee malt in the background. The flavor is a little bit different than the aroma. It starts out with a citrus and pepper flavor with a toasted malt sweetness. It finishes with a sweet and slightly toffee malt flavor along with some earthy hop. The feel is a bit heavy and syrupy with low carbonation. Pretty good beer here. I did like the aroma, however, it was a bit too sweet for my tastes. (550 characters)

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.