16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

22oz bomber into pint glass

Look is amber-orange, light with a fantastic long lasting off-white head. Smell is heavy on the lemon and pine. Also, pepper, orange marmalade, grapefruit. The taste is very tart lemon and pine, with a peppery background that nips at the underside of the massive hop blast. There's also notes of rye, dry biscuits, white bread, limes, and oranges. It's complex, sure, but also slightly underwhelming. Feel is very bitter and syrup-like, maybe could have used a bit more carbonation. The alcohol shows up in the finish but is very inoffensive.

Solid beer, as to be expected from stone, but I much prefer their year-round IPAs.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Excited to delve into this one! The 15 year anniversary was average so let us see how this one goes.

A - A typical imperial IPA, perhaps a bit lighter. Almost looks like iced tea with its hue. Off-white, ivory head.

S - Lots of pine, peppercorn, big time hops and some warm tropical fruits. Some alcohol gives the scent some warmth near the back end.

T - Perhaps one of the most unique IPA's I have ever tried. Lots, and i mean lots, of lemon here. It leaves a large quantity of tartness which is interesting alongside the big piney hops. The malt backbone is fairly large, but far from making this brew too big.

M - A bit on the oily side with a medium body and fair carbonation. Perhaps the lemon oil (?) kicking in?

O - This is strange for sure. Drinking it slowly and realizing it is a brew for those who love lemon and hops. A good beer that is worth some respect but I am not sure I would be buying this on a frequent basis.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

22oz bottle. Served in Bailey's tulip.

A: Lightly rusted copper with an off-white/cream colored head that foams straight up from an aggressive pour. Looks pretty nice, I must say.

N: Well, it's an IPA. Shock coming from Stone, I know. Resinous pine, green peppercorn, earth, and some very light tropical fruit. However, the dominant flavor is the bitter hops. Slight hint of the lemon aspects, but they almost seem to come more from the hops.

T: More malt forward than I expected. There's a bit of lemon zest here, and more of the pine hoppiness. Has some pronounced medicinal qualities, as though I was going to rub this on my skin. Has a very woody quality, as well. Alcohol's well hidden for 10% though.

M: Probably the worst part of this. It's kind of oily and slick and it really coats the palate but it doesn't dry it out. I'm guessing that's lemon oil doing it.

O: Decent, I suppose. Drinkable and certainly worth a shot, but pretty much every DIPA I open from Stone, I want to be equivalent to their 10th Anniversary.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper rust pour with a huge tan head. Yup, there's no hiding the lemon extracts used in this brew. A huge lemon infused nose greets you immediately then the citrus fruit appears again as you take your first sip. I pick up zero influence from the Rye addition, it's a citrus fruit bomb for sure. It's a tad sweet and you can pick up the heat from the high ABV. Not worth seeking out again.

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

Another year, another anniversary ale from Stone!

Pours out a nice amber color with orange hues and 1 1/2 fingers of fluffy head.

The aroma is instantly a blend of tropical hop notes; mango, grapefruit, papaya, peach, orange and a nice amount of lemon followed with a hint of the rye spiciness.

The taste starts off with the intense tropical hop notes and then goes into the bright burst of lemon that even adds a very slight hint of tartness. This is followed by the spiciness of the rye and some sweetness coming from the malt.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy and dry and for being such a big beer this is actually pretty balanced and not too bitter either. Another great beer from Stone and I can't wait until the 17th!

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Light amber with thick, off-white head and pretty good lacing.

Smell: Lemon, tropical notes, herbs, spicy bread and semi-sweet caramel.

Taste: Lemon, mango and grapefruit offset by caramel and toasted malts. Maybe there is a touch of spicy rye, but really not very noticeable. The beer is a little sweeter than I expected, but finished with some bitterness, herbalness and lingering lemon. The lemon straggles the line between being refreshing and solvent-like, but mostly stays on the right side of the divide.

Feel: Pretty smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finish is dry but just slightly astringent. Can't tell this is 10%; this is a sneaky sumbitch.

Overall: Another very good IPA from Stone. But I can see why the lemon turns some away.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours an amber/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is good, and there's a lot of lacing. Aroma is nice, it smells like citrusy (lemon peel, tropical fruit) and pine hops, rye malt, and some lemon oil. The brew tastes like pine and citrusy hops, lemon peel, rye malt, and a bitter herbal flavor. There's also a nice long lasting bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and coating and has moderate carbonation. I liked this brew a lot, I might have to pick up another bottle soon! $7.99 a bottle.

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

22oz bottle poured into my Mad Fox glass. Amber in color with a thin, sticky head to it. It left some really nice lacing as I drank it.

The lemon verbena is immediately apparent in the aroma. It gives it a pretty strong herbal, floral, lemony flavor. I like the notes of rye and toasted malts I'm getting though. The hops seem overshadowed by the lemon verbena for me unfortunately.

The taste follows through with more of the herbal, floral, lemony flavors throughout. I get some of the hop bitterness coming out mostly in the finish. Again, I'm really liking the rye and toasted malt base, but the lemon verbena is just ruining it for me. It reminds me a little of air freshener or some type of cleaning product.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I really didn't like the lemon verbena addition. It gave it a strong herbal and floral character that made me think of cleaning products or potpourri. I can't believe the description says the lemon is supposed to be "subtle", because that definitely wasn't my experience with it. It had did have a lot of positive things going for it, they just got overshadowed unfortunately. I'd love to try this without the lemon verbena, but with it I can't say it was a very enjoyable beer.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pured adarkish orange color with a moderatewhite cap, light bubbles and lcing

S: Smells pretty malty caramel coupled with lemon like Pledge wood cleaner d some tropica fruits.

T: Big caramel maltiness upfront with lemons and tropical fruits. The finish was heavy, to malty and unbalancedin the malt department.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated

O: The worst Stone Anny since the Imperial Red

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Very nice light light amber, almost more of an orange color. Thick pretty,white head that stuck around for a while, and left some nice lacing on the side of the glass. Didn't realize the ABV before looking at the lacing. Added bonus!

S - Nice and citrusy but didn't pick up on the lemon scent as much as I thought I was going to. More of an orange peel and pine. Very nice though.

T - Definitely has the alcohol bit of a %10 beer, but not as much hop flavor as your usual double or imperial IPA. The flavor sticks around for a while, I get a heavy malt on the front end followed by and hoppy, orangey bite that finishes. I'll clarify, it tastes good, but for a %10 I like a little more hop bite.

M - Nice and light, but very warming on the way down.

O - I am guilty of not being the biggest fan of Stone, but this is a very drinkable IPA that packs a great punch. I will be getting a few more to enjoy. I really wish the lemon verbena and lemon oils were more prominent, but that's just me, and wouldn't stop me from buying again.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Perfect translucent amber body, shining luminously in every light. Smooth, chunky head of off-white, lots of volume and lots of lacing.

S: Dank hops run deep, extreme pine and rindy citrus. Not a ton of emphasis on the malts, but some dark breads with caramel undertones come through; not big and sugary, and that's just how I like my DIPAs. Lemon verbena and basil on the back end.

T: Pine, lemon rind, and verbena over moderately-toasted caramel breads - a dark, smooth, rindy hoppiness with an underlying sugar-bread maltiness. Grains are a doughy and satisfying layer, which combine with the hops and lemon in surprisingly mild balance. You'd expect a ton of hops from this brewer, but this is pretty balanced. Finishes herbal and a little citrus-pulpy; a mild dryness and chewy bread dough.

M: As viscous as a 10% beer should be; just right. A little more carb would be appreciated, but it's very good as it is.

O: I enjoyed this a lot more than the 15th Anniversary - Stone can most definitely do an IPA that satisfies my palate.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a light amber with a creamy medium white head, spotty lace.

S: Lemonheads, lemon zest, grapefruit, citrus zest.

T: Nice overall lemon flavour, it goes from really zesty to almost candy-like sour, quite complex. It does remind me of Dogfish Hellhound quite a bit. Good rye malt flavour, the background spice from the rye complemented the lemon well.

M: Feels fairly medium-bodied, it has a lightness about it even at 10% that makes it very easy to drink. Some light ethanol character, but it works very well with the beer. Tingling carbonation.

O: A good anniversary beer, fresh 10th or 13th is still my favourite, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. Well done.

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.