16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Light amber with thick, off-white head and pretty good lacing.

Smell: Lemon, tropical notes, herbs, spicy bread and semi-sweet caramel.

Taste: Lemon, mango and grapefruit offset by caramel and toasted malts. Maybe there is a touch of spicy rye, but really not very noticeable. The beer is a little sweeter than I expected, but finished with some bitterness, herbalness and lingering lemon. The lemon straggles the line between being refreshing and solvent-like, but mostly stays on the right side of the divide.

Feel: Pretty smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finish is dry but just slightly astringent. Can't tell this is 10%; this is a sneaky sumbitch.

Overall: Another very good IPA from Stone. But I can see why the lemon turns some away.

bsp77, Aug 18, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours an amber/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is good, and there's a lot of lacing. Aroma is nice, it smells like citrusy (lemon peel, tropical fruit) and pine hops, rye malt, and some lemon oil. The brew tastes like pine and citrusy hops, lemon peel, rye malt, and a bitter herbal flavor. There's also a nice long lasting bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and coating and has moderate carbonation. I liked this brew a lot, I might have to pick up another bottle soon! $7.99 a bottle.

bluejacket74, Aug 18, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

22oz bottle poured into my Mad Fox glass. Amber in color with a thin, sticky head to it. It left some really nice lacing as I drank it.

The lemon verbena is immediately apparent in the aroma. It gives it a pretty strong herbal, floral, lemony flavor. I like the notes of rye and toasted malts I'm getting though. The hops seem overshadowed by the lemon verbena for me unfortunately.

The taste follows through with more of the herbal, floral, lemony flavors throughout. I get some of the hop bitterness coming out mostly in the finish. Again, I'm really liking the rye and toasted malt base, but the lemon verbena is just ruining it for me. It reminds me a little of air freshener or some type of cleaning product.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I really didn't like the lemon verbena addition. It gave it a strong herbal and floral character that made me think of cleaning products or potpourri. I can't believe the description says the lemon is supposed to be "subtle", because that definitely wasn't my experience with it. It had did have a lot of positive things going for it, they just got overshadowed unfortunately. I'd love to try this without the lemon verbena, but with it I can't say it was a very enjoyable beer.

billab914, Aug 18, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pured adarkish orange color with a moderatewhite cap, light bubbles and lcing

S: Smells pretty malty caramel coupled with lemon like Pledge wood cleaner d some tropica fruits.

T: Big caramel maltiness upfront with lemons and tropical fruits. The finish was heavy, to malty and unbalancedin the malt department.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated

eawolff99, Aug 18, 2012

Bilco, Aug 18, 2012

ambruns1979, Aug 18, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Very nice light light amber, almost more of an orange color. Thick pretty,white head that stuck around for a while, and left some nice lacing on the side of the glass. Didn't realize the ABV before looking at the lacing. Added bonus!

S - Nice and citrusy but didn't pick up on the lemon scent as much as I thought I was going to. More of an orange peel and pine. Very nice though.

T - Definitely has the alcohol bit of a %10 beer, but not as much hop flavor as your usual double or imperial IPA. The flavor sticks around for a while, I get a heavy malt on the front end followed by and hoppy, orangey bite that finishes. I'll clarify, it tastes good, but for a %10 I like a little more hop bite.

M - Nice and light, but very warming on the way down.

O - I am guilty of not being the biggest fan of Stone, but this is a very drinkable IPA that packs a great punch. I will be getting a few more to enjoy. I really wish the lemon verbena and lemon oils were more prominent, but that's just me, and wouldn't stop me from buying again.

ThePaleRider, Aug 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

theempire, Aug 18, 2012

drewone, Aug 18, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Perfect translucent amber body, shining luminously in every light. Smooth, chunky head of off-white, lots of volume and lots of lacing.

S: Dank hops run deep, extreme pine and rindy citrus. Not a ton of emphasis on the malts, but some dark breads with caramel undertones come through; not big and sugary, and that's just how I like my DIPAs. Lemon verbena and basil on the back end.

T: Pine, lemon rind, and verbena over moderately-toasted caramel breads - a dark, smooth, rindy hoppiness with an underlying sugar-bread maltiness. Grains are a doughy and satisfying layer, which combine with the hops and lemon in surprisingly mild balance. You'd expect a ton of hops from this brewer, but this is pretty balanced. Finishes herbal and a little citrus-pulpy; a mild dryness and chewy bread dough.

M: As viscous as a 10% beer should be; just right. A little more carb would be appreciated, but it's very good as it is.

O: I enjoyed this a lot more than the 15th Anniversary - Stone can most definitely do an IPA that satisfies my palate.

BarryMFBurton, Aug 18, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a light amber with a creamy medium white head, spotty lace.

S: Lemonheads, lemon zest, grapefruit, citrus zest.

T: Nice overall lemon flavour, it goes from really zesty to almost candy-like sour, quite complex. It does remind me of Dogfish Hellhound quite a bit. Good rye malt flavour, the background spice from the rye complemented the lemon well.

M: Feels fairly medium-bodied, it has a lightness about it even at 10% that makes it very easy to drink. Some light ethanol character, but it works very well with the beer. Tingling carbonation.

O: A good anniversary beer, fresh 10th or 13th is still my favourite, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. Well done.

Halcyondays, Aug 18, 2012

nmann08, Aug 18, 2012

99firehawkman, Aug 18, 2012

jsh5771, Aug 18, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

So Just like most people who have reviewed this, I believe temperature does play a big roll in this beer. If you like citrus being the main component, then drink it cold, you like rye and spice more, warmer is when you wanna drink this beer. If you're like me though and like beers that have layer, that change during the time you're drinking it, start with it cold and drink the last of it warm. I'm a huge fan of this beer, way to go Stone!

theycallmedugan, Aug 18, 2012

Pinche_Oso, Aug 18, 2012

3Hops, Aug 18, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

Shoo65, Aug 18, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Didn't even know this was out. Happy anniversary! From a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a clear honey gold. Big two and a half finger cream head. Excellent retention a tons of sticky lacing. Looks like a good IPA.

Crisp citrusy hops, lemon zest, alcohol, and some biscuity malts. Nice but could have used a bit more depth.

Follows the nose. The hops and Verbena seem to be fighting each other instead of complimenting. Slightly resinous.The rye comes through in the middle, with some nice spicy notes. There is a good amount of alcohol in the finish, but leaves room for a welcome rye bite in the aftertaste. Things meld better as the beer warms.

Drinks like a typical dipa. Medium to heavy, moderate bitterness for the style, alcohol felt off the back of the tongue..

Overall this was a tasty, but slightly underwhelming offering from Stone. I respect the experimentation but something went slightly awry with the hops and Verbena. They just seemed to cover each other up. I loved the rye (Stone would make a kick ass rye-pa), and in my opinion saved this beer. Solid brew though. Cheers!

Humulus85, Aug 18, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

A: medium amber with beige head; left with short but fat lacing and a milky cap across the beer

S: lemony citrus, sweet caramel malt, some piney resin

T: I get a lot of the malt up front, with the citrus a little elusive - getting it a little bit on the sides of my tongue, as grapefruity as it is lemony, but the verbena tosses in a floral note - getting the resiny pine and an almost butterscotchy quality

M: nice balance between bitter hops and chewy malt; fairly full on the tongue; good aftertaste; savory

O: these guys know their business, and hit core styles like the IPA, DIPA, and strong ale on the nose (I'd be remiss not to point out that their RIS is tops, too) - a definite buy for anyone who likes DIPAs

Greywulfken, Aug 18, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Beer4Baltimore, Aug 17, 2012
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.