16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a golden amber with a nice 2finger head. Tons of lacing and retention.

S: Lots of citrus (grapefruit), some pine/resin a hint of malt and some funk or spice peaking in.

T: Sweet malts, huge hop bitterness with some pine/resin followed by a spice and lemon/citrus finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Overall, excellent and complex brew. Stone doesn't hold anything back.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Pours darker than I'm used to in an IPA. Almost more of an amber color. A nice two finger foamy tan head foams and settles to about 1/2 a finger.

S: A really interesting mix of things going on here. Some citrus hops, tropical fruit, a fragrant blast of lemon soap, and some herbal hop oils.

T: Lots of citrus hop oils upfront with some orange zest, a touch of lemon and some notes of wood. Finish has some toasty malt. Not bad, but this definitely has nothing on the 15th Anniversary.

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

I was SO excited to get this all the way in MD the week or two after it was released. This is an AMAZING DIPA. May be the best one I've ever had...

Appearance: A really pretty dark gold, thick yet small head that fades real quick

Smell: Citrus, bubble gum, pepper/rye, floral notes with a touch of booze on the nose. Wondeful.

Taste: Wow, wow, wow. A lot going on and a lot working amazingly well together. Lemon zest is pretty forward with a nice blast of hops surprisingly in the backround. The rye is there but its just a touch, really as much as I'd want it to be an any of my beers - especially the DIPA's

Mouthfeel: light carbonation with a really sticky off-dry sort of finish.

Overall: Thoroughly impressed, I didn't get to try the 10th anny Ruination unfortunately but this easily makes up for it. I've got 2 more bottles of this and will make an effort to snag another from my shop. This is one of the better beers and DIPA's I've had in my young BA life. Drank a Pliny last night and while I'm never been too huge on Pliny, this simply puts it to shame for me. This is an amazing beer...try hard to get it.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.93/5  rDev +29.4%

Smells beautiful, simply beautiful. Nice tan head, bronzed body, smells of ripe citrus and old forest pines. The lemon peal and lemon verbena mesh so perfectly with the citrusy american hops, Vienna(?) malt backs it up to be full yet fairly dry for 10 points of booze. No burn, no booze, just a bitter, citrus bite with a solid malt body and complex aroma.

Splendid, one of the best new beers I have had in a long time.

Stone- You're doing it right.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

A- Pours clear orange with a one finger white head. Good alcohol legs.

S- A lot of citrus, pineapple and mango. There is some rye, a bit of a spiciness, almost like a Christmas beer.

T- A strong bitterness. There is a ton of citrus, there's pineapple and lime. There's some cinnamon. A little rye, a farmhouse feel. Hops are very fruity.

M- This is a pretty big IPA, High in bitterness and alcohol. A spicy mouthfeel.

O- This is a solid IPA, definitely not my favorite anniversary beer from them but I cant complain for them taking chances. Its like a Christmas beer and an IPA got together.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a duvel glass

A: pours a slightly hazy coppery amber with two fingers of slightly off white head after an aggressive pour. The head sticks around for a bit dissapating on the slow side an leaving a ton of sticky lacing. Looks great.

S: there is a kind of lemony soapyness, citrusy orange hops, and a general herby/spicy aroma... Almost smells like potpourri, soapy potpourri with some hops. Overall it's not a horrible aroma, but that soapyness is getting to me a bit.

T: lots of lemony herby/spicyness, the soapyness doesn't seem as present, but the the herbal spicyness is, along with some deffinate citrusy hops, but I feel like they take a back seat to the lemon, overall I feel like these flavors clash a bit, not a fan.

M: medium body with medium carbonation and a nice dry finish, except for the lingering slightly bitter/ lemon rindy aftertaste that doesn't want to seem to leave my mouth.

O: not a fan, and honestly i am dissapointed, perhaps it's just the flavor profile they chose here isn't something that appeals to me. But I felt like the flavors clashed and the hops took almost a backseat.... I deffinatly would have likes to see the lemon an spicyness tones down, and the hops toned way up.... Dissapointing especially on the curtails of ruination 10 and the fact that i greatly look forward to this release every year.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a nice amber color, decent amount of head from a slightly aggressive pour into my snifter. Very appetizing looking ale. The lacing seems to sparkle in the light, leaves some great lacing around the entire glass. Nose is big citrusy hops, along with a zesty lemon scent. I really love the scent of this one, it makes you anticipate the next swig.
Taste is great, big hop bite, nice and bitter, but with that lemon zing that makes it a refreshing drink. Does mask the alcohol, surely doesn't taste like a 10% brew. Would reccomend this brew, great stuff in my opinion.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

A - pours a honey amber color, with a half finger of white head that laces slowly, held aloft by light amounts of carbonation

S - citrus pops into my nose first, quickly tailed by some piney hops, some lemony hints at the end separate from the typical grapefruitiness of the hops profile

T - the hops don't hold back, a sweet pine flavor that is the bitter hops with a wash of lemon sweetness, I was worried that the lemon flavor would be like Pledge, like the lemon flavor in the Lemon infused Coca-Cola.

M&D - hides the alcohol well, smoother than expected, I thought it would be a little more effervescent. It is complex and layered and flavored magnificently. Stone does it again!!

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a coppery amber color with a finger of off white head. Decent head retention.

S- woody hop aroma with notes of fresh mint and pine. Subtle perfume like lemon tones. It's a bit like the lemon you find in the bottom of a day old glass of iced tea. Peppery-like spiciness from the rye with a toasted bready malt on the finish.

T- hops are all up front with notes of mango, mint and citrus zest. More floral, resin and leafy hop characteristics in the middle with the added lemon components giving a nice zest. However, it becomes a little to intrusive and lemon hand soap like towards the end of the glass. Surprisingly reserved bitterness for a Stone DIPA. The hop flavors fade away leaving a balancing toasty malt with hints of peppery spice from the lovely rye aspect. Beautiful malt profile and my favorite part about this beer.

MF- slick oily mouthfeel with a medium body. Average carbonation.

D- decently drinkable. A little too soapy towards the end.

Overall a better than most DIPA.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

Stone's 16th Anniversary IPA is a good, solid double IPA. That said, it lacks the intense hoppiness of other Stone DIPAs.

Not much of a head as I poured the beer into a pint glass, but there was a nice amber color that was inviting.

On the bottle Stone says that they've tried experimenting with lemony flavors and aromas. I did detect some citrus notes, but also pine. But that's a good thing for me.

The taste is mild compared to other Double IPAs. The rye malt is definitely present and not overwhelmed by hops. Not very bitter.

The beer does leave a coat in my mouth and I prefer a crisper brew, but considering the ABV, it's not unexpected.

Overall this reminds me of the Ruination 10th Anniversary without all the hoppy goodness. Not one of Stone's best concoctions but still a pleasure to drink.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a bomber I picked up from Jungle Jim's for $7.99.

Pours a reddish amber Colorado with a dark golden hue. Lacing is solid and follows down the glass. Very prominent head that is bright white.

Smells really good and unlike the average DIPA. Definitely a lemon zest is present along with a strong spicey rye blazing through my nostrils. Smells very hoppy but not the usual tropical Ipa.

Well....its not necessarily hot, but the taste of lemon vodka is pretty evident(especially warm). While not what I hoping for, its still pretty good. Aside from that, it has a nice rye flavor with a spicey hop kick.

Mouthfeel is moderate and on par with DIPA's. Bitter aftertaste.

Overall I'm not as pleased as I hoped to be. Still have to give props to Stone for coming up with a different beer that is not the normal DIPA. The 15TH Anniversary is still my favorite.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a tulip glass.

This beer provides an amber color with reddish and orangish tones. Definitely thick as an quintessential IPA would be, and the alcohol leggings and low carbonation make it seem pensive, patient, and quite elegant in presentation. Slightly modest head, which is impressive considering its high ABV. If this was slightly more filtered, it would look just like many homemade brews that come one's way (although whether they're a comparable quality product is the question here...).

The aroma is definitely quite strong and diverse, and I'm immediately reminded that this is indeed a San Diego hoppy product. The Amarillo hops are extremely recognizable, and malty rye smell is predominantly featured. Not too tropical or lemony though... getting more orange and grapefruit aromas. No alcohol at all, no matter how much it warms up. Approach with caution.

Spiced rye and hop explosion! Add that to a dry and lemon finish, and you essentially have a bare description of what this beer tastes like. No alcohol present in the taste or finish, but sadly no tropical flavors to my liking. I definitely enjoy that the rye flavor is more subtle than expected, and the lemon, herby finish is really nice and smooth. In terms of body, it's a good take on the "classic" SD Imperial IPA - meaning that it's definitely more the type I like - but the flavors seem a bit conflicting at times, especially as it goes from overtly bitter to spicy to a little sour - but never sweet. The finish is fabulous, though, and makes it an overall easy beer to drink.

Nevertheless, while it still is a great product by Stone, I feel a little underwhelmed overall, despite the fact that the rye/lemon combo worked pretty well here. It's definitely not "tropical" enough, and the citrus flavors, while good, are slightly conflicting with the lemon sour and dryness. It makes a very good accompaniment with food - I drank this with fried tuna filet and spinach which were soaked in butter, fried garlic, and a dash of lemon. Alone however? A good beer, but perhaps not my personal favorite the sector of SD imperial IPAs. I always make question to support Stone, but they've definitely had more thrilling anniversary ales in the past.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

8/13/2012

Bottle into a snifter.

Dark orange with good clarity and a finger of white froth. Solid retention and scattered lacing.

The nose is a blend of pine, tangerine, mango, and papaya. I detect floral and lemon character as well. Soft notes of pumpernickel linger beneath the hop aromatics. There's a light sweetness that balances the expressive hop profile, as well as a touch of alcohol.

Lower moderate sweetness in the flavor accompanying rye, toasted malt, and a dash of spiciness. The beer is moderately bitter with an insistent booziness. Firm pine resin influence meets orange flesh and pith, grapefruit rind, and a dash of tangerine. Alcohol flavor waxes as the beer warms up and I slowly drain my glass. Upper medium in body with matching carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

A nice beer for what it is and for the ABV, but as was the case with Ruination 10th I'd rather they dropped the ABV a couple points as it's somewhat heavy on the palate and the alcohol flavor is a little too strong for my taste. Reminds me too much of an American Barleywine. I guess it's not really my type of Double IPA. Still pretty good though, and I think many will enjoy it.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.