Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 392 | Hads: 1,388
2.69/5  rDev -29.2%

A-Pours a brilliant orange color. Body glows. Head is a chunk of raw dough.mhead is tan, Head retains in veteran fashion. Superb lacing too. Another perfect looking Stone brew.

S-Wow, this may be the most mint-stressed beer I have come across. Menthol. Lemons and citrus. Plenty of pine. Light rye spice. Very bold. I am excited.

T-A sad mixture of mouthwash, Orbit gum, and pine sap. Stinging. Not much tropical hops at all. Rye is washed out. Abrasive in the worst way. Very disjointed and even a bit offensive.

M-Boozy and the flavor hangs on to a sickening degree. Dry, bitter and stinging.

O/D-Almost as bad as their Belgo-Anise RIS. Really a big letdown. As happy I was yesterday with their 10th Anni Ruination, I am hugely let down by this brew. No dice kid. (769 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bomber into pint glass

Look is amber-orange, light with a fantastic long lasting off-white head. Smell is heavy on the lemon and pine. Also, pepper, orange marmalade, grapefruit. The taste is very tart lemon and pine, with a peppery background that nips at the underside of the massive hop blast. There's also notes of rye, dry biscuits, white bread, limes, and oranges. It's complex, sure, but also slightly underwhelming. Feel is very bitter and syrup-like, maybe could have used a bit more carbonation. The alcohol shows up in the finish but is very inoffensive.

Solid beer, as to be expected from stone, but I much prefer their year-round IPAs. (655 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Excited to delve into this one! The 15 year anniversary was average so let us see how this one goes.

A - A typical imperial IPA, perhaps a bit lighter. Almost looks like iced tea with its hue. Off-white, ivory head.

S - Lots of pine, peppercorn, big time hops and some warm tropical fruits. Some alcohol gives the scent some warmth near the back end.

T - Perhaps one of the most unique IPA's I have ever tried. Lots, and i mean lots, of lemon here. It leaves a large quantity of tartness which is interesting alongside the big piney hops. The malt backbone is fairly large, but far from making this brew too big.

M - A bit on the oily side with a medium body and fair carbonation. Perhaps the lemon oil (?) kicking in?

O - This is strange for sure. Drinking it slowly and realizing it is a brew for those who love lemon and hops. A good beer that is worth some respect but I am not sure I would be buying this on a frequent basis. (935 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz bottle. Served in Bailey's tulip.

A: Lightly rusted copper with an off-white/cream colored head that foams straight up from an aggressive pour. Looks pretty nice, I must say.

N: Well, it's an IPA. Shock coming from Stone, I know. Resinous pine, green peppercorn, earth, and some very light tropical fruit. However, the dominant flavor is the bitter hops. Slight hint of the lemon aspects, but they almost seem to come more from the hops.

T: More malt forward than I expected. There's a bit of lemon zest here, and more of the pine hoppiness. Has some pronounced medicinal qualities, as though I was going to rub this on my skin. Has a very woody quality, as well. Alcohol's well hidden for 10% though.

M: Probably the worst part of this. It's kind of oily and slick and it really coats the palate but it doesn't dry it out. I'm guessing that's lemon oil doing it.

O: Decent, I suppose. Drinkable and certainly worth a shot, but pretty much every DIPA I open from Stone, I want to be equivalent to their 10th Anniversary. (1,031 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper rust pour with a huge tan head. Yup, there's no hiding the lemon extracts used in this brew. A huge lemon infused nose greets you immediately then the citrus fruit appears again as you take your first sip. I pick up zero influence from the Rye addition, it's a citrus fruit bomb for sure. It's a tad sweet and you can pick up the heat from the high ABV. Not worth seeking out again. (389 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

Another year, another anniversary ale from Stone!

Pours out a nice amber color with orange hues and 1 1/2 fingers of fluffy head.

The aroma is instantly a blend of tropical hop notes; mango, grapefruit, papaya, peach, orange and a nice amount of lemon followed with a hint of the rye spiciness.

The taste starts off with the intense tropical hop notes and then goes into the bright burst of lemon that even adds a very slight hint of tartness. This is followed by the spiciness of the rye and some sweetness coming from the malt.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy and dry and for being such a big beer this is actually pretty balanced and not too bitter either. Another great beer from Stone and I can't wait until the 17th! (729 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Light amber with thick, off-white head and pretty good lacing.

Smell: Lemon, tropical notes, herbs, spicy bread and semi-sweet caramel.

Taste: Lemon, mango and grapefruit offset by caramel and toasted malts. Maybe there is a touch of spicy rye, but really not very noticeable. The beer is a little sweeter than I expected, but finished with some bitterness, herbalness and lingering lemon. The lemon straggles the line between being refreshing and solvent-like, but mostly stays on the right side of the divide.

Feel: Pretty smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finish is dry but just slightly astringent. Can't tell this is 10%; this is a sneaky sumbitch.

Overall: Another very good IPA from Stone. But I can see why the lemon turns some away. (838 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours an amber/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is good, and there's a lot of lacing. Aroma is nice, it smells like citrusy (lemon peel, tropical fruit) and pine hops, rye malt, and some lemon oil. The brew tastes like pine and citrusy hops, lemon peel, rye malt, and a bitter herbal flavor. There's also a nice long lasting bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and coating and has moderate carbonation. I liked this brew a lot, I might have to pick up another bottle soon! $7.99 a bottle. (594 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -32.4%

22oz bottle poured into my Mad Fox glass. Amber in color with a thin, sticky head to it. It left some really nice lacing as I drank it.

The lemon verbena is immediately apparent in the aroma. It gives it a pretty strong herbal, floral, lemony flavor. I like the notes of rye and toasted malts I'm getting though. The hops seem overshadowed by the lemon verbena for me unfortunately.

The taste follows through with more of the herbal, floral, lemony flavors throughout. I get some of the hop bitterness coming out mostly in the finish. Again, I'm really liking the rye and toasted malt base, but the lemon verbena is just ruining it for me. It reminds me a little of air freshener or some type of cleaning product.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I really didn't like the lemon verbena addition. It gave it a strong herbal and floral character that made me think of cleaning products or potpourri. I can't believe the description says the lemon is supposed to be "subtle", because that definitely wasn't my experience with it. It had did have a lot of positive things going for it, they just got overshadowed unfortunately. I'd love to try this without the lemon verbena, but with it I can't say it was a very enjoyable beer. (1,269 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pured adarkish orange color with a moderatewhite cap, light bubbles and lcing

S: Smells pretty malty caramel coupled with lemon like Pledge wood cleaner d some tropica fruits.

T: Big caramel maltiness upfront with lemons and tropical fruits. The finish was heavy, to malty and unbalancedin the malt department.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated

O: The worst Stone Anny since the Imperial Red (398 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Very nice light light amber, almost more of an orange color. Thick pretty,white head that stuck around for a while, and left some nice lacing on the side of the glass. Didn't realize the ABV before looking at the lacing. Added bonus!

S - Nice and citrusy but didn't pick up on the lemon scent as much as I thought I was going to. More of an orange peel and pine. Very nice though.

T - Definitely has the alcohol bit of a %10 beer, but not as much hop flavor as your usual double or imperial IPA. The flavor sticks around for a while, I get a heavy malt on the front end followed by and hoppy, orangey bite that finishes. I'll clarify, it tastes good, but for a %10 I like a little more hop bite.

M - Nice and light, but very warming on the way down.

O - I am guilty of not being the biggest fan of Stone, but this is a very drinkable IPA that packs a great punch. I will be getting a few more to enjoy. I really wish the lemon verbena and lemon oils were more prominent, but that's just me, and wouldn't stop me from buying again. (1,038 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Perfect translucent amber body, shining luminously in every light. Smooth, chunky head of off-white, lots of volume and lots of lacing.

S: Dank hops run deep, extreme pine and rindy citrus. Not a ton of emphasis on the malts, but some dark breads with caramel undertones come through; not big and sugary, and that's just how I like my DIPAs. Lemon verbena and basil on the back end.

T: Pine, lemon rind, and verbena over moderately-toasted caramel breads - a dark, smooth, rindy hoppiness with an underlying sugar-bread maltiness. Grains are a doughy and satisfying layer, which combine with the hops and lemon in surprisingly mild balance. You'd expect a ton of hops from this brewer, but this is pretty balanced. Finishes herbal and a little citrus-pulpy; a mild dryness and chewy bread dough.

M: As viscous as a 10% beer should be; just right. A little more carb would be appreciated, but it's very good as it is.

O: I enjoyed this a lot more than the 15th Anniversary - Stone can most definitely do an IPA that satisfies my palate. (1,042 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a light amber with a creamy medium white head, spotty lace.

S: Lemonheads, lemon zest, grapefruit, citrus zest.

T: Nice overall lemon flavour, it goes from really zesty to almost candy-like sour, quite complex. It does remind me of Dogfish Hellhound quite a bit. Good rye malt flavour, the background spice from the rye complemented the lemon well.

M: Feels fairly medium-bodied, it has a lightness about it even at 10% that makes it very easy to drink. Some light ethanol character, but it works very well with the beer. Tingling carbonation.

O: A good anniversary beer, fresh 10th or 13th is still my favourite, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. Well done. (685 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

So Just like most people who have reviewed this, I believe temperature does play a big roll in this beer. If you like citrus being the main component, then drink it cold, you like rye and spice more, warmer is when you wanna drink this beer. If you're like me though and like beers that have layer, that change during the time you're drinking it, start with it cold and drink the last of it warm. I'm a huge fan of this beer, way to go Stone! (442 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

Didn't even know this was out. Happy anniversary! From a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a clear honey gold. Big two and a half finger cream head. Excellent retention a tons of sticky lacing. Looks like a good IPA.

Crisp citrusy hops, lemon zest, alcohol, and some biscuity malts. Nice but could have used a bit more depth.

Follows the nose. The hops and Verbena seem to be fighting each other instead of complimenting. Slightly resinous.The rye comes through in the middle, with some nice spicy notes. There is a good amount of alcohol in the finish, but leaves room for a welcome rye bite in the aftertaste. Things meld better as the beer warms.

Drinks like a typical dipa. Medium to heavy, moderate bitterness for the style, alcohol felt off the back of the tongue..

Overall this was a tasty, but slightly underwhelming offering from Stone. I respect the experimentation but something went slightly awry with the hops and Verbena. They just seemed to cover each other up. I loved the rye (Stone would make a kick ass rye-pa), and in my opinion saved this beer. Solid brew though. Cheers! (1,110 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

A: medium amber with beige head; left with short but fat lacing and a milky cap across the beer

S: lemony citrus, sweet caramel malt, some piney resin

T: I get a lot of the malt up front, with the citrus a little elusive - getting it a little bit on the sides of my tongue, as grapefruity as it is lemony, but the verbena tosses in a floral note - getting the resiny pine and an almost butterscotchy quality

M: nice balance between bitter hops and chewy malt; fairly full on the tongue; good aftertaste; savory

O: these guys know their business, and hit core styles like the IPA, DIPA, and strong ale on the nose (I'd be remiss not to point out that their RIS is tops, too) - a definite buy for anyone who likes DIPAs (721 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

I enjoyed 16th some much I had to go out and get another one. No one does beastly beers like stone

A- a copper body with visible clarity through the shades of orange. Lingering foam that possesses shades of orange haze are remaining near the top as some lacing remains as well

S- a strong whiff of lemon and herbal tones clear the path for some spiced rye malt and caramel flavors. Quite spicy yet not overpowering in regards to the citric scent from the lemon

T- The spicy malt is showing its true colors with the scent as it delivers a great combination of flavor with the lemon flavor. A refreshing a bitter flavor is really the final product of this combination. So spicy and flavorful!

M- what I really am enjoying is the coating creamy flavor of the lemon and rye malt. Carbonation is perfect and helps this flavor really have a great feel

O- stone, I don't know how you do it. Another winning interpretation of ipa innovation. Thank you! (949 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottled shared thanks to Jeff, thanks man.

The beer pours with a nice fluffy off white head that takes a while to go down, nice deep dark orange color with some gold highlights, just a little hazy.

The smell has a very piney and almost rosemary like, a little bizarre but interesting. Some other grassy notes. Some sweet fruity notes. that lemon herb thing is definitely there.

Taste is also very piney and veggie like, again a distinct rosemary or flowery edge that is interesting but not really what you expect at all in a DIPA. Lemon zest. Certainly a taste of rye. Interesting. Some definite alcohol buttery edge. A little sweet candy like stuff.

The feel is very influenced by the flower pine taste lemon verbena, it gives it a very oily slick feel.

Overall interesting but not amazing to me, might be just a bit too much muddled flavors. (852 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff.

The beer is orange hued with a thin, white collar. The aroma brings notes of pineapple, melon, alcohol, hops, citrus. Smells both strong and inviting. The flavor is sweet and a bit syrupy, with candied tropical fruit notes. Lemon zest and spice. The aroma is far superior to the flavor. The feel is a bit sweet and oozy. A solid beer, though best in small quantities. A nice brew to bring to a tasting. (437 characters)

1456th Review on BA
Bottle to Parra Tulip
22oz

2012 Vintage
Bottled 8/13/12 per the Stone box

App- A deep citrus orange color with a wonderful glow behind it. A huge 3 finger head that lasts for a long time and was just a tad off white. Great cling and lace.

Smell- Had a duality behind it. When you first open the beer you get a lot of that hoppy, citrus zest on the nose. Once it breaths and warms, the sweet caramel and rye flavors come forward. Had a good balance and you could smell the 10% on this one.

Taste- Much like the nose, it was very two sided. The one colder side, showed more of the zest and citrus and lemon flavors with a touch more hops and a small bitter. When warmed the Rye came out and added more spice with a creamy caramel balance. The ABV is somewhat hidden but as you drink, you really feel the 10%.

Mouth- On the larger side of a medium body with a medium creamy carbonation level. A bit thick but its a 10% DIPA, was pretty much right on point but still find the larger feel a bit of a detracter.

Drink- Its a good beer. The label says the didnt go for the full rye, but I like the balance they struck. Could be dialed up a bit. I dont know if I will be buying another bottle though. Good beer, but with Rustic Rye for $4.99 from Bootleggers and Nelson from Alpine, Im golden on the Rye. (1,322 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into retro Olympia glass.

This pores a transparent golden with a half finger white head. Nice lacing too. Smell is citrusy and pine with the lemon shining through. Not as big of a hop blast in the nose as I was expecting even after letting it warm up. Taste is awesome with big bittering hops that bring a big citrus and pine punch. The lemon is big too. Mouthfeel is spot on and alcohol isn't too overwhelming. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. It was big on citrus with the lemon melding really nicely with the hops. Seek out this limited release. (573 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Amber honey golden hue. White, fluffy head with great lacy retention.

S: Sweet caramel and honey. Citrus and lemon zest. Layers of citrus and a tinge on mint.

T: Great hop character and sweet malts. Layers of lemon zest and overall citrus profile. I'm getting orange peals and a touch of mint on the back.

M: Big, round beer. It lays on the palate and lingers for a while. Medium tannins.

O: Great beer, but it tires your palate quickly. Simple but complex and very thoughtfully crafted. (494 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a golden amber with a nice 2finger head. Tons of lacing and retention.

S: Lots of citrus (grapefruit), some pine/resin a hint of malt and some funk or spice peaking in.

T: Sweet malts, huge hop bitterness with some pine/resin followed by a spice and lemon/citrus finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Overall, excellent and complex brew. Stone doesn't hold anything back. (430 characters)

3.8/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours darker than I'm used to in an IPA. Almost more of an amber color. A nice two finger foamy tan head foams and settles to about 1/2 a finger.

S: A really interesting mix of things going on here. Some citrus hops, tropical fruit, a fragrant blast of lemon soap, and some herbal hop oils.

T: Lots of citrus hop oils upfront with some orange zest, a touch of lemon and some notes of wood. Finish has some toasty malt. Not bad, but this definitely has nothing on the 15th Anniversary. (491 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

I was SO excited to get this all the way in MD the week or two after it was released. This is an AMAZING DIPA. May be the best one I've ever had...

Appearance: A really pretty dark gold, thick yet small head that fades real quick

Smell: Citrus, bubble gum, pepper/rye, floral notes with a touch of booze on the nose. Wondeful.

Taste: Wow, wow, wow. A lot going on and a lot working amazingly well together. Lemon zest is pretty forward with a nice blast of hops surprisingly in the backround. The rye is there but its just a touch, really as much as I'd want it to be an any of my beers - especially the DIPA's

Mouthfeel: light carbonation with a really sticky off-dry sort of finish.

Overall: Thoroughly impressed, I didn't get to try the 10th anny Ruination unfortunately but this easily makes up for it. I've got 2 more bottles of this and will make an effort to snag another from my shop. This is one of the better beers and DIPA's I've had in my young BA life. Drank a Pliny last night and while I'm never been too huge on Pliny, this simply puts it to shame for me. This is an amazing beer...try hard to get it. (1,122 characters)

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.