1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,339 | Reviews: 390 | Show All Ratings:
arizcards

Arizona

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber at Total Wine last week for $5.99. Bottled in August 2012.

Beer poured a golden orange with a solid white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is lemon and herbal.

Taste is tea and lemon forward. Pine resins leave a slick on the palate. Alcohol is warming throughout the beer.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and very satisfying.

Overall this is not a bad brew but not my cup of tea. Stone verticals and anniversary brews tend to be hit and miss, Not sure i would seek this out again before it goes away.

11-21-2012 23:33:38 | More by arizcards
DannyHartman

As I pour a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass, a nice and thick 2+ inch head appears atop a beautiful hazy copper/dark orangish brew.... The beer has good retention and leaves plenty of lacing.

I take a whiff, and upfront, I get sweet bready malts.... It has only a little bit of a hoppy smell (which I wouldn't expect from a "DIPA"), and the slightest citrus notes.... That surprises me since this is supposed to be a "lemony" brew.

While tasting, it's definitely hoppy and bitter.... Delicious.... Also, I taste bready malts.... The citrus is more relevant in the taste.... Funny thing is that it's mostly grapefruit, though.... There is a bit of lemon as well.

I'd say this is a medium-bodied brew with medium carbonation, though it's the perfect amount of carbonation.... A bit oily with a boozy aftertaste.

I really enjoyed this beer.... I like the taste of it more so than the regular Stone IPA, but it's certainly not as hoppy tasting.... That's weird being that this is a "DIPA", but like I say.... I think it's delicious, and it's an easy drink for being a 10% ABV.... I'm going to rank this a bit lower than the "regular" IPA due to expectations of an "Anniversary" brew.... That, and I believe that the regular Stone IPA ranks up there with the best of "regular" IPA's.

11-21-2012 22:10:39 | More by DannyHartman
ccrida

Oregon

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

First off, I didn't notice the strength or brew date (Aug 2012) when I grabbed this, warm, off the shelf at local market (new seasons, small, high craft turn-over). The ABV suprised me when I read it after drinking a few ounces before starting this review. The age not so much....
Appearance is pale bronze. The huge head on this sucker is really dense and fluffy, lots of thick clingy white foam.

Smell is herbal, mint green tea. The lemon (verbana?) gains pungency as it warms. But more so, the band-aide.

Taste is a little on the oxidized side, this really has a strong hrebal lemon / mint tea vibe. It's clean though regarding the blistering ABV, and from the consideration of an herbal beer, it's not bad at all, a fine pairing with a nice rich, hot panang curry. I like the little spice from the rye.

Mouthfeel is reasonably light and dry.

Drinkability is pretty good. It's just not at all what I expected. But, I didn't read the date on this, and frankly, it's aged seemingly well.

11-21-2012 08:32:03 | More by ccrida
minterro

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Thank you Beeravocate for shutting down and login me off again while I review. This has happened numerous times and I don't understand why it cant be fixed. But yeah thanks! Because of this my rating is going to be a brief recap.

Bought at Horrocks in Lansing MI, price about $8

Very strong tart lemon smell upon first opening fade to a more tropical smell with hints of bitterness. Color is a transparent orange. Head is a off white and creamy and sustains at a steady layer and provides adequate lacing.

Upfront and especially when cold this beer seems very spicy. I'm getting the majority of the taste coming from the back end. This is where you get the 10% ABV that this beer has. I'm also getting much more lemon and other tropical tones. There is also this background spiciness that can be described best as peppery. Taste a bit too similar to double bastard if you ask me. Unreal smoothness, pretty thick, and low-ish carbonation. I wish I knew how they did this so I could make my home-brews have this quality mouthfeel.

Overall: it has lived up to my high expectation for it. Worth the price. Another great brew out of Stone.

Thank you again ba for wreaking this rating.

11-21-2012 03:45:53 | More by minterro
Hunter

Arizona

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy, golden ale. Reasonably thick head of white that manages to linger much longer than expected.

Smell: Hops predominate. Beneath that, light notes of citrus.

Taste: Bitter hops, lemon...and that's it. Some whisper of malt in the aftertaste, but not much else.

Mouthfeel: Bracing, astringent, scouring, watery. Pretty much what you expect of Stone's IPAs, only so much of it it's borderline unpleasant.

Overall: It's not a bad ale, but the Stone gimmick of loading up on hops feels a little thin these days. I like IPAs, but there's a difference between one of high quality, and one that simply tried to outmuscle all others in the hoppiness. Drinkable, not memorable.

11-18-2012 01:54:03 | More by Hunter
HarrySTruman

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured goldish orange, A tyical IPA/DIPA look.

Smelled of hops in a big way. Grassy and floral. Some citrus popped out as well. As many others have mentions, the citrus was close to a lemon smell. It wasn't really that appealing as a smell, a bit to big, and if the nose were the flavor I would call in unbalanced.

The taste was goood. It had a citrus flavor, but the alcohol and the malt backbone did a good job of balancing the flavor. I thought the flavor made this 10% abv very drinkable. A bit much on the citrus flavors, but it did a good job in balancing some of the more mudane flavors.

Medium with a moderate amount of carbonation. Not thin, not thick, just right on a DIPA.

This beer will get you drunk, plain and simple. It's easy to drink, it has a high ABV, and it tastes pretty good. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to try this on draft, but it isn't one of the best examples of the style. I think Stone had big dreams for this beverage and they fell just a bit short, but it was still a high quality drink and one that I would certainly drink again if I found it on tap.

11-13-2012 09:45:59 | More by HarrySTruman
nUgZ

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

22 ounce bomber brewed in August 2012 poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a 1 finger head and very nice lacing.

S: Very sweet hoppy smell, but overwhelmingly citrus. You can definitely smell the lemon as well as some tropical scents I can't put my finger on.

T: Very much like the smell, the taste is dominated by citrus. The hops are there for sure, but the lemon and other atypical additions are apparent. The alcohol is so well hidden that I wouldn't believe that it's 10% unless I saw it on the bottle.

M: Medium bodied, but slick with good carbonation.

O: I love pretty much all of the beers that Stone makes, but this one isn't my favorite. I think they accomplished what they were going for, but the lemon and other exotic scents/flavors distract me from truly enjoying the beer to the fullest. It's a solid beer, but I fear that it's one that most people will either love or hate. I won't be buying any more bottles, but I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

11-11-2012 00:02:49 | More by nUgZ
sweemzander

2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden amber color. Some good white froth and lace.

(S)- A slightly strange but intense hoppy resin-like sweetness. Bits of citrus too.

(T)- Similar to the smell in a dense oily resin-like hop citrus. Very subtle citrus with a spicy rye characteristic.

(M)- A decent carbonation level. A tad strange in an oily dense hop character. Quite bitter too.

(O)- Typical Stone fashion, but not quite up to par in that sense. Kind of a strange oily character that is not horrible, but just strange. They have done much better.

11-10-2012 19:10:43 | More by sweemzander
ghostwalker

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Big sticky off-white head. Orange body.

Nose is sharp and citrusy. Not much malt to distract from that.

Flavor is crisp, sharp, oily, citrus hops and a big blast of lemony-freshness. Not really enough malt to comment on, and I like it!

Mouthfeel is slick, almost astringent, and slightly aspirin-like.

I didn't like the description of this brew that I read, but it drinks really, really well. Overall, excellent.

11-09-2012 01:49:29 | More by ghostwalker
Bubbalito

4.23/5  rDev +11%

Pour = The absolute biggest head I have ever seen on an IPA, it foamed up like a hefewiezen, super cloudy and fluffy, leaving a very nice lacing on the glass. Color is copper, leaning towards the orange side. Clear as clear can be, looks like a copper, amber colored stain glass window
Smell = Citrus and even some tropical smelling hops. A lot of nice sweet biscuit malts. Some nice feint lemon in the background. Not as hoppy or lemony as I had heard that it was, it is not super fresh, so maybe some of that overpowering lemon has faded, leaving just a nice hint of it in the background
Taste = Super bitter right off the bat, nice dry grapefruit and mango, a little bit of lemon. Some sweet, chewy biscuit flavors in there as well. Much tamer than I had been lead to believe. This is a lot like the regular Stone IPA, just maybe another layer of hop flavor and bitterness.
Overall = Nothing super exciting for an anniversary edition beer. Just a good solid, easy drinking IPA. I think it might have been a little different experience when it was super fresh as a lot of those late hop additions tend to fade in aroma and flavor over time, but hey, I live in Virginia, not SD, so I am just happy to get a chance to try this at all. Yet another solid beer from Stone!

11-09-2012 01:44:39 | More by Bubbalito
ummswimmin

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

I looked up lemon verbena, and I found out about this new herb offering a lemon presence from brush.

I poured this into a open mouth, IPA designed glass from DFH. The coloring is darker orange, and I get about two fingers of head on top. This foam leaves some nice lacing on the sides of my glass.

Off the top I get some really good citrus presence. I like the lemon from the oil and verbena. This plays off well with the grapefruit from the generous hops.

The flavor is a little different than your typical IPA. I like how the lemony plays in this. The balance is still really good.

The oily feel to this beer works really works well across the pallatte.

Overall this is another great anniversary beer by Stone. I'd tell you to get it, but this should be sold out by now.

11-08-2012 00:48:04 | More by ummswimmin
51mmz0rz

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Nice slightly off white head atop a slightly cloudy, medium light amber body.

S: Hops, and certainly a strong herbal component here.

T: Delicious herbal lemon flavor blends well with a great hop presence. Could be a little strong on the herbs, but worth it for a one off beer.

M: Mouthfeel is nice, slightly thick, but not overly so. Always looking for a somewhat dry finish in my IPAs.

D: Herbs make a good addition, though they might be a little strong, it's a good statement for a one off beer.

11-07-2012 04:06:39 | More by 51mmz0rz
JerzDevl2000

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up at ShopRite Liquors in Caldwell yesterday, since it was the only place I found this at. I was excited to try this since I enjoyed the other Anniversary beers from Stone but this was just a bit lacking. It was a good IPA with enough alcohol and taste to it but the lemon and spice detracted from the overall experience a bit. While this was aggressive and edgy, it was just a bit too much out of the norm for me and not up to par with most of their other offerings.

The pour to this was a strong almond color with a nice head and lacing to match. Lots of pine in the front with a bit of valencia-type orange underneath it. That was also present in the taste up-front which faded into a mix of grass and pepper, before the lemon just took over. Just a bit too much sourness to this as the spice lingered in the aftertaste. Quite aggressive, this was not a quick sipper and was not as thick in the body as I would have liked either.

Like most of the Stone beers, this was very strong in the booze department and it did detract from the beer. It almost reminded me of a hopped-up Saison except the hue to this was clear. It was a unique take on the style but the West Coast feel of this was overshadowed by the overpowering spiciness and the near-pucker that my face made at times. There's nothing out there like this but there's a good reason why this wasn't something attempted before. It didn't really work and it was only worth a try once, just to see what any fuss was about.

11-05-2012 23:59:31 | More by JerzDevl2000
Kadonny

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A medium to lighter orange color with a 2 finger white fluffy head.

S: I get the lemon right away. Some herbal smells, other citrus and some pine notes. Slight sweetness.

T: Subtle lemon? I get a little more than subtle lemon flavor. Lemon, peach, pineapple, herbal notes, some chamomile and grassy. Sweetness is biscuit like with some breadiness. I got some deeper pine flavors and bitterness towards the end with some resiny stickiness.

M: Full, coating, prickly, slight alcohol.

O: I really enjoyed this, but I like most of the Stone Anny IPAs that are different from the norm. Solid beer.

Overall another nice Anniversary beer that I enjoyed.

11-05-2012 17:59:34 | More by Kadonny
rangerred

Tennessee

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a half finger white head. Head retention isn't great as can be expected from a 10% beer but lacing is pretty good.

Aroma is a little odd with lemon being quite noticeable. Pine and tropical citrus are present along with a slight bit of rye spicyness. This is the only malt really detectable as hops completely dominate.

The flavor is where things go pretty bad. Lemon cookies up front mixing with pine hops and it doesn't really work. It's almost like someone sprayed lemon Pledge or dumped a shot of gin into my beer. Bitterness is high with alcohol quite noticeable on the finish. Really no malt is detectable other than a thick mouthfeel.

Overall, probably the worst beer I have had from Stone. The lemon does nothing for me and removing that, it would just be an average IIPA. Poorly balanced and not very well though-out. Not one to seek out other than for curiosity's sake.

11-04-2012 03:23:06 | More by rangerred
travisdiener32

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up because I haven't sampled stone in awhile. Now I remember why.

Poured into delirium snifter, lots of head, decent retention, lighter amber than expected for a double. My initial smell was a familiar lemon pledge, pine-sol, lemon rind. Mouthfeel is difficult because its hard take your mind off the taste. I would say average feel for a DIPA. The taste is simply bad, the worst double I've ever had. It's as if they poured lemon oil on on top of each sip you take, as soon as any pine and resin comes in, waves of lemon oil stick to your tongue and emanate through your nostrils.

Overall, I don't know how a brewery releases this. The competition is so much better and more aware of it's consumers that releasing such a poorly constructed yearly flagship beer will force others to look elsewhere and be much more pleased.

11-03-2012 01:54:56 | More by travisdiener32
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - mostly clear bright bronze with a tower of light tan head that wasn't going anywhere, some random lacing
S - strong notes of wood, caramel, and spices up front, more subtle citrus, and a piney scent that is just a little abrasive almost like a cleaning product scent
T - spices, grass, and pine to start, then a lemon & pine soapiness that comes across a little artificial, finishes with an earl grey tea type flavour
M - medium body with healthy carbonation, slightly oily with big hop bitterness, alcohol masked well but still warm through the finish
O - I think this is just a case of trying to squeeze too much into a brew and the result is something that isn't quite sure of itself, unfocussed, and thus not great, not bad but not great as I was expecting

11-01-2012 01:12:40 | More by joemcgrath27
KickbacksSteve

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a snifter. Off white head, moderate retention. Soapy, sticky lacing. Light amber in color, high clarity. Aroma is very unique. Yes, its lemony. Sweet, sugary lemons. Kinda delicious smelling. Taste is mild, not overly hoppy, touch of lemons, low alcohol, mild malt sweetness. I suppose the most impressive part of this brew is that Stone has removed ALL of the alcohol taste with these unique flavors and made the beer dangerously drinkable in the process.

10-29-2012 06:12:35 | More by KickbacksSteve
kshizzle101

Washington

poured from 22oz bomber

A - dark golden brown. 2-inch head which lingers

S - scents of pine, booze, and of course, lemon

T - Sweet, piney hops at first followed by a very lemony and spicy after taste. for a 10% DIPA, booziness is rather sneaky.

M - fairly heavy mouthfeel

Overall - This beer screams 'Stone.' They always think outside the box and this beer is no exception. A solid effort with good execution.

10-29-2012 02:33:09 | More by kshizzle101
ILikeGoodCider

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed on 10.28.12 from a brown bomber into a Stone 14oz American pint glass.

A: Amber w/ an excellent clarity & a 1/4" cream-colored head.

S: LEMON VERBENA "icing" on a IPA cupcake.

T & M: Like drinking a lemon rind. Very resiny lemon flavors (think tree sap) along with grapefruit dominate the profile. Very powerful and on purpose (but a bit distracting). Medium carbs.

O: For a 10.0% ABV brew, my goodness it's drinkable, but it's a strong brew flavor-wise; suggested serving is splitting the bottle and pairing it with a nice juicy steak.

10-29-2012 01:21:12 | More by ILikeGoodCider
wedge

Hazy deep orange pour topped with a thick, tight, creamy head. Smooth, well-blended, and quite hoppy...a very Stone-like aroma. Highly fruity: peach, apple, and sweet lemon along with a little pine resin and some bread way in the back. First sip doesn't bring as much lemon as I was expecting. It's hoppy alright, but not brashly so. More sweet peach, melon, floral hops, and bright fruitiness all commingling into a smooth, interesting lupulin showcase. The lemon/citrus does seem to make itself more known the longer it sits in the glass, but the rye doesn't show much. Bitter and medium bodied. Less drinkable than anniversary beers in years past, but still a fairly unique take on the style and enjoyable.

10-29-2012 00:14:34 | More by wedge
tastybeer

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Dark murky orange, off white head with fine and fat bubbles. Lace is scattered and fun.

S: Fruit all over familiar stone maltiness. Sweet sugary lemon, melon, fresh juicy peaches, and to be general, tropically dank. Intense but smooth. Easy going but big.

T: Tastes great. Sweet, malty, fruity, piney, and floral. A lot going on in a somehow, almost confusingly harmonious way. Bread mashed up with pine cones and soaked in sweetened lemon and orange 'sauces'. Very bright and full of flavor.

M: Slick, heavy, well carbonated and tingly, not particularly dry, reasonably bitter, and straight up enjoyable. This beer is very tasty but its not consumable at a surprisingly fast rate like some other awesome concoctions out there. Instead this is more of an 'enjoy-gradually' brew. That's not bad, its just different.

O: An aroma and flavor extravaganza. All sorts of pleasantries piled into one situation. I do enjoy.

10-29-2012 00:07:00 | More by tastybeer
brystmar

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

This was in our fridge far too long. On the darker side of a golden color, decent head. Smells like lemon pledge. Rye malt and stale hops join the fray. Bleh.

Hop resin and astringent household chemicals lead the way. Piney, kinda like the way you want your floor to smell after mopping it. Ok, it's not *that* bad, but it's far from being a good DIPA.

Stone can (and does) do much better. Avoid.

10-28-2012 00:26:19 | More by brystmar
DavoleBomb

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a perfect pint.

4.0 A: Clear light orange color. Two and a half fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is pretty good given the ABV and a ton of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Surprisingly earthy. Usually Stone goes for floral and, while there is some of that, the hops are decidedly earthy. I'm loving the lemon components in this, which makes this come off somewhat like a hoppy saison. Though this is hop forward, the malts are quite potent as well. Plenty of caramel with just as much toastiness. This really isn't all that complex and I doubt many will think much of this nose, but I am just loving the lemon too much to not give it a good score.

3.5 T: The taste is good, but there isn't enough hops, which is something I rarely have to say about Stone's beers. To be fair, it does have a big earthy hoppiness, but I want some complexity from the hops. There is some floral and woody notes, but not enough. There is a good balance between hops and malts though. Caramel and toastiness sticks out quite well. Moderate to heavy moderate bitterness. Booze is just barely detectable. The lemon products give a nice earthy lemony vibe, but not much in terms of tartness. Still, I like what they bring.

3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Not a lot of creaminess given that this is an IPA, but it's not bad overall and it is quite smooth.

3.5 D: Decent effort. Doesn't "wow" me in any way, but it was worth a try.

10-26-2012 04:02:02 | More by DavoleBomb
bonkers

Poured deep orange withe a sticky white head into a snifter. NIce citrusy aroma, strong lemon notes with lighter notes of grapefruit and orange zest. The flavors of tropical fruit are prevalent, lots of lemon and grapefruit. I did not pick up much rye. It is easy drinking for such a big beer. I enjoyed it a different take on a DIPA

10-25-2012 12:27:40 | More by bonkers
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.