16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 392 | Hads: 1,388
2.54/5  rDev -33.2%

amber with a decent almost-white two-fingered head that retains and laces well.

a nice quick shot of pine is quickly taken over by lemon pledge cleaner.

lemon extract, soapy, oily... tastes like what I imagine drinking lemon-scented floor-cleaner would. the oil sticks around forever. the lemon verbena was way over-done. the hops don't quite complement, but rather are overshadowed.

oily, soapy, and unforgiving, this coats the mouth/throat and does not let go..making whatever you eat/drink next taste like lemon pledge.

wow. not great. there is potential behind the lemon extract and oily lemon verbena flavoring that just overpower.

If I wanted to suck on lemon pith, I'd just buy a lemon. (698 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%

About 5 oz poured into a tasting snifter. Compared side to side with Ruination 10th Anniversary.

A: Pours a clear light copper color with excellent clarity. The two finger offwhite head lingers fantastically, and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: Uh oh - this smells like lemon soap spiced with black pepper and basil. Not looking forward to this...

T: Better than the aroma, but only on the grounds that it's actually pretty mellow (especially next to Ruination 10th) and not TOO unpleasant; but that lemon Pledge flavor is too hard to shake here. The initial flavors are better than the finish in general.

M: Kind of neutral...it's not overly dry in any way, but the finish does impart a hint of harshness. On the plus side, the flavors don't linger oppressively, nor is it overcarbonated.

O: STONE YOU ARE BREAKING MY BALLS. To be fair, it was probably a bad idea to compare this to Ruination 10th (even in its old age), but I can tell this isn't very good on its own. (978 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -32.4%

This was in our fridge far too long. On the darker side of a golden color, decent head. Smells like lemon pledge. Rye malt and stale hops join the fray. Bleh.

Hop resin and astringent household chemicals lead the way. Piney, kinda like the way you want your floor to smell after mopping it. Ok, it's not *that* bad, but it's far from being a good DIPA.

Stone can (and does) do much better. Avoid. (398 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -32.4%

22oz bottle poured into my Mad Fox glass. Amber in color with a thin, sticky head to it. It left some really nice lacing as I drank it.

The lemon verbena is immediately apparent in the aroma. It gives it a pretty strong herbal, floral, lemony flavor. I like the notes of rye and toasted malts I'm getting though. The hops seem overshadowed by the lemon verbena for me unfortunately.

The taste follows through with more of the herbal, floral, lemony flavors throughout. I get some of the hop bitterness coming out mostly in the finish. Again, I'm really liking the rye and toasted malt base, but the lemon verbena is just ruining it for me. It reminds me a little of air freshener or some type of cleaning product.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I really didn't like the lemon verbena addition. It gave it a strong herbal and floral character that made me think of cleaning products or potpourri. I can't believe the description says the lemon is supposed to be "subtle", because that definitely wasn't my experience with it. It had did have a lot of positive things going for it, they just got overshadowed unfortunately. I'd love to try this without the lemon verbena, but with it I can't say it was a very enjoyable beer. (1,269 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had this thrice in the past week and a half, and for the first time last night, the beer was actually drinkable, and my notes are based on this bottle. My score, however, is a composite of all my experiences with the beer.

A brilliantly clear amber with a dense, off-white head that leaves nice lacing, this beer looks great! The nose is rather intensely lemony, almost Pledge-like, with a bit of bleach. Huge lemon aromatics, drowning out the hops, the malt and the rye. A little sweetness is perceived, though. The palate is similar. Intensely oily, resiny lemon, citronella-like, the lemon verbana is way overdone. Despite what the bottle says, it isn't a hint of lemon, it's a metric fuckton. All the contribution of the hops are washed out, the malt is present mostly as a sweetness, and the lemon helps hide the alcohol. Medium-light in body, very oily and resiny, this beer is more of an experience than something to revisit. A bit of a chore. (956 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -30.5%

Just about the worst beer I can remember from such a usually great brewery. I was very disappointed with this one.Tastes like the an arrogant bastard mixed with a lemon furniture polish. I like IPAs and love double IPAs, but I think this one is trying too hard to push the envelope. Stick with a ruination. (306 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy, golden ale. Reasonably thick head of white that manages to linger much longer than expected.

Smell: Hops predominate. Beneath that, light notes of citrus.

Taste: Bitter hops, lemon...and that's it. Some whisper of malt in the aftertaste, but not much else.

Mouthfeel: Bracing, astringent, scouring, watery. Pretty much what you expect of Stone's IPAs, only so much of it it's borderline unpleasant.

Overall: It's not a bad ale, but the Stone gimmick of loading up on hops feels a little thin these days. I like IPAs, but there's a difference between one of high quality, and one that simply tried to outmuscle all others in the hoppiness. Drinkable, not memorable. (688 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -29.2%

A-Pours a brilliant orange color. Body glows. Head is a chunk of raw dough.mhead is tan, Head retains in veteran fashion. Superb lacing too. Another perfect looking Stone brew.

S-Wow, this may be the most mint-stressed beer I have come across. Menthol. Lemons and citrus. Plenty of pine. Light rye spice. Very bold. I am excited.

T-A sad mixture of mouthwash, Orbit gum, and pine sap. Stinging. Not much tropical hops at all. Rye is washed out. Abrasive in the worst way. Very disjointed and even a bit offensive.

M-Boozy and the flavor hangs on to a sickening degree. Dry, bitter and stinging.

O/D-Almost as bad as their Belgo-Anise RIS. Really a big letdown. As happy I was yesterday with their 10th Anni Ruination, I am hugely let down by this brew. No dice kid. (769 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured 22 oz bomber into a DFH globe...nice amber color with a frothy white head. Nice looking. Smells ok- piney hops mixed with citrus, but a lemony almost peppery smell knocks it south. Taste is sour hops, best way I can describe it....Kind of tastes like bile (in a good way, i guess, since there is alcohol in it). I can taste the lemon but it doesn't really help the flavor. The mouthfeel is good, medium-bodied with a nice carb level. Overall I can't get behind this one too much, after the first half glass I was wondering how I was going to finish it. I think the 10% ABV coaxed me into it. Would not buy again. (619 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -27.4%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 1 inch fluffy white head that leaves a thick ring of lacing. Pours a not-quite-translucent gold. Spotty lacing.

Smell: From the bottle: Amarillo hops. From the glass: bizarre savory and perfume-y aroma. Black tea with lemon, along with some fruit (maybe peaches) and herbs. Black pepper. Gets pretty boozy with time.

Swings way too far into savory, and not like "GUBNA onion-hops savory," but a full on herb marinade. Starting to turn me off of the idea of livening up traditional beer aroma and flavor by experimenting with savory elements. Gets a 3.0 for some nice hop aroma and smelling like a reasonably good marinade/salad dressing, at least.

Taste: Lemony, some passion fruit. Herbal hops, black tea aftertaste. 85 IBU coming off as pretty bitter, yet the beer also tastes a bit too sweet. Like the aroma, savory without being the familiar Summit hop oniony. Not quite mushroom or umami, but more like a heavily herbed marinade (plus some tropical fruit hops, and some black tea, and some lemons...). Way more going on than I can keep track of in a single sip, but also not exactly motivating me to try to do so.

I suppose it's impressive that they expressed so much flavor from the hops and rye and adjuncts and such. I don't want to give such skillful hop use lower than a 3.0, but the planning behind this beer doesn't suggest any skill whatsoever... It's really a mess. The mouthfeel doesn't help either; you've got all these savory + sweet + lemon + tea flavors fighting, set to a creamy and soapy feel that's very bitter but not dry. Blech.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Creamy. Under-attenuated for my taste.

Overall: This beer is like finding 20 beautiful but unrelated ingredients at a farmer's market, gently cooking them all to preserve their natural flavors, then throwing them all in a bowl and eating them. A gamble that could end up amazing or terrible.

This beer ends up a big mess and makes me wonder why they bothered. Stone is usually the king of balancing bold flavors, but not this time... Could it be that now everyone at the brewery is so enthusiastic about everything that they've forgotten how to say no to *anything*?

Drinking this, I'm longing for a well-made IPA with 1 hop, 1 malt, water, and some clean yeast. I usually love bloated experiments by genius brewers, but Stone 16th is a huge miss. (2,420 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 10/7/12

Honey amber color with a few browned hues. Rather clear. Puffy, two finger head dissipates slowly. A thin, soapy layer is kept alive with the tilting of the glass. Thick rings of lace.

Lots of lemon aromatics going on: lemon pine-sol, lemon bars, lemon zest and lemongrass. The malts have a buttery pie crust and sugar cookie bent, so it's no surprise this smells like various lemon pastries and such. Mild, spicy overtones. I actually like it.

The taste fairly malt-heavy. Toasted dark bread and rye. Similarly, this has some pastry notions, too. The hops here are mainly piney with earthy overtones. Lemon doesn't come across as distinctly as in the aroma; instead, it's woven in among the malts and hops and seems like more of an afterthought.

I don't much care for the feel, at least in terms of the body. Double IPA or not, it's full, sluggish and heavy with alcohol and oils. Carbonation is low, but moves enough to keep the beer moving along. The finish has some toasted rye and piney hops.

Perhaps I should have had a go of this when it was fresher, but it just wasn't high on the list of priorities at the time. 16th amusing, but nothing outstanding. Still, it's decent enough. (1,233 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pured adarkish orange color with a moderatewhite cap, light bubbles and lcing

S: Smells pretty malty caramel coupled with lemon like Pledge wood cleaner d some tropica fruits.

T: Big caramel maltiness upfront with lemons and tropical fruits. The finish was heavy, to malty and unbalancedin the malt department.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated

O: The worst Stone Anny since the Imperial Red (398 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -24.7%

Consumed 8/28/12

Appearance: Clear, light amber - copper, gold when held to the light - little, white head that fades to a little ring - leaves a few specs of lacing

Smell: Lemon candy is center stage. but there are a lot of aromas in here - lemon, touches of other citrus (grapefruit), and some tropical notes (pineapple chunks), and some dry pine needles - some spiciness, slightly herbal, with a touch of grass - some booze - overall it kind of smells like tea, loaded with lemon, with a packet of sugar

Taste: Again, liquid lemon candy - hints of grapefruits, but it's mostly just lemon rinds - spicy rye, more spicy than the smell would suggest - earthy, herbal, grassy - some cooked, yet dry, bready malts - some tea-like flavors - kind of reminiscent of an Arnold Palmer, but with booze (apparently called a John Daly... hmmm)

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, oily, slick, adequately carbonated, a bit sticky

Overall: Ok, but weird

I like this, but it's not really what I was expecting. Maybe I just don't appreciate lemon enough. Honestly, I actually had to look up what "lemon verbena" was. Apparently it's a shrub (thank you, Wikipedia). That may explain the tea-like properties. Anyway, I love Stone, and I may revert to believing that the Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was actually the 16th anniversary beer. Because that kicked ass. This does not.

Update: I grew tired of the taste quickly after starting to drink the second half of my bomber. And I woke up the next morning with a raging headache, sick to my stomach, and sweating uncontrollably. Either my body hates this beer or I got a 6-hour West Nile virus. Taste and overall scores have been reduced slightly from my previous scoring. (1,720 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -24.7%

served on-tap at Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a snifter

Pours a warm, darker orange color. There's a nice, soft eggshell colored head here that laces all pretty like around the glass. It's a good looking beer, for sure.

I appreciate what this beer is doing as far as originality, but the original aroma profile doesn't automatically make for a good aroma profile. This beer smells mostly of spicy, earthy notes. Not in a Saison way or anything. But in the way of green hop bitterness and spicy rye malt. There's a honeyed lemon aroma here, sorta' like a cough drop. A touch of citrus -- peach mostly -- but not as juicy as perhaps it should be. It doesn't smell like it has much depth.

16th Anniversary is unique. I can say that much. It tastes more like a mediocre cocktail than a beer. Let me explain. We've all been to a bar that purports to specialize in their signature cocktails, but their cocktails are just cool ingredients mixed together without a learned understanding of how to mix a balanced, expressive drink. That's what this beer tastes like. It tastes like peach soda pop, rye whiskey, and bitter herbs. Nothing comes together to make a cohesive flavor. Very peachy, but no hop depth beyond that. Just some slick bitter notes.

The mouthfeel is thicker than I'd prefer in the style, It's not poor or distracting, just thick. Overall, this is a strange, unique take on the style. I don't think it works, ultimately, but it was worth a try. (1,465 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pleasant appearance with orange color in the tall Saxo tulip. Plenty of foam and quite spritzy in the mouth. Tends to attack the tongue after some sipping.

This doesn't seem so overly lemoned, in fact the nose is quite interesting. But it just seems to add to the general bitterness, which this doesn't need any more of. Rich and malty, but then the bitter blast blows through. Quite unpleasant aftertaste of bitter citrus rind and generally acidic. It doesn't taste so alcoholic, but it's a harsh mistress nonetheless.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Ibis Market in San Diego for six bucks. (593 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -21.3%

From 22 oz bomber to nonic pint

A: Light copper-tan in color, the brew forms a healthy 1-inch head that holds its form for a long time, never really fully recedes.

S: Candied lemon up against citrusy, snappy hops. Lots of sugar in this one, smells like the malt-backbone overpowers.

T: Lemon candy pops to the front of the palate first, almost making this seem malt-forward. The piny, vinous signature hop character is noted, but it's drowned out by the sweet and sticky aspects. Seems to be all over the place on the palate, not sure of what it's trying to do. The booze helps to break up the cloying sweetness, but the malts and added sugar are a bit too much....finishes long and sweet.

M: Chewy, thick. Thankfully there's ample carbonation or this one would be hard to swallow.

Valiant attempt...I can understand trying to accent the naturally citrusy aspects of West Coast style IPA's, but the beer's sweetness quickly becomes treacly. (946 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -20%

I don't know. I just don't. Something in this beer is hitting me wrongly. Looks good, no question. The aroma is a bit like lemon Pledge and flowers. Maybe it's just that I expected hops. It's similar to hops, and hops are there, but the weird lemon thing....

For a base, the malt is great. A bit of spice, some caramel, but mostly it's sturdy toasted biscuit.

Feels like an IPA, abv is hidden very well. Normally a 22oz of Stone is fine. This one I shared b/c I wanted to. I don't know (488 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A: amber coloured liquid with excellent clarity with a 1/4" cream coloured head.

S: Muted smell of lemon and resiny pine hops.

T: Lemon verbena and lemon oil, I guess... Very resiny lemon flavours that somewhat taste like tree sap along with grapefruit dominate the taste profile. Very overpowering and not very pleasant.

M: Thick resiny viscosity and a medium level of carbonation.

O: The drinkability on this one is low, which is unfortunate because I am a very big fan of Stone IPAs. (490 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: Clear glowing amber with a big fluffy cap that leaves scattered lacing.

Smell: Very herbal and lemony up front, with floral undertones. A touch of lavender, bready rye and alcohol. The liberal use of lemon verbena gives the beer a perfumey, soapy quality that isn't especially enjoyable to me.

Taste and mouthfeel: Straight-up lemon rind. Bitter and botanical, soapy, perfumey, and rather malty. Booze is somewhat noticeable, too. The body has some heft to it, though the beer remains on the dry side. Lemon peel and botanical soap flavors linger throughout the finish. Very bitter.

Overall: Clean, well crafted, but not really appealing to me. Would be a nice but unspectacular DIPA without the lemon verbena; as is it's not something I'd revisit. (763 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%

Clear deeply amber colored ale with a small white head. This is the color I call IPA Orange.

Smell is citrus and soap with tea scent. There is a delicate floral scent that is not obscured by the hops. The best I can describe the floral scent is roses. That said it isn't that aromatic.

Starts out semi-dry and savory without any complexities. Alcohol stings the tongue a bit. Alcohol warms the chest without really being detectable in the taste. Strong tea and wood with a little burnt sugar taste. Reasonably bitter. Honestly not that flavorful.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall I am severely disappointed. Stone can make better beer than this. I will try this again at a later date and confirm or revise my low opinion of this beer. (732 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

Just hit our stores today!

Pours clear dark gold/amber with a big off-white head. Good lacing and retention.

Interesting aromas. Typical tropical fruit with a touch of citrus, but the rye spice does make an appearance and in what I'm coming to associate the Calypso hop with, a huge lemon presence overwhelms. Smells a bit like lemon pledge.

Strong pine with a hefty caramel backbone greets the front of the palate. A little rye spiciness, but it's a bit more subdued than the nose. Finishes resiny and dry with an intense lemon character. Almost smells like lemon you find in saisons at times and with the rye it takes on an almost Belgian quality at times. The spicy rye and booze come out more as it warms making it harsh and unpleasant. Flavors really clash.

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. As with most DIPA's of this range, it's a bit past the sweet spot and the alcohol isn't hidden well. Gets too boozy as it warms. I like my booze in stouts, not so much in IPA's.

The weakest anniversary beer in a few years. Might have been ok if I split it, but the flavors don't lend to great drinkability and I didn't like the additives. They took away from the base flavor and added nothing pleasant. (1,206 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a half finger white head. Head retention isn't great as can be expected from a 10% beer but lacing is pretty good.

Aroma is a little odd with lemon being quite noticeable. Pine and tropical citrus are present along with a slight bit of rye spicyness. This is the only malt really detectable as hops completely dominate.

The flavor is where things go pretty bad. Lemon cookies up front mixing with pine hops and it doesn't really work. It's almost like someone sprayed lemon Pledge or dumped a shot of gin into my beer. Bitterness is high with alcohol quite noticeable on the finish. Really no malt is detectable other than a thick mouthfeel.

Overall, probably the worst beer I have had from Stone. The lemon does nothing for me and removing that, it would just be an average IIPA. Poorly balanced and not very well though-out. Not one to seek out other than for curiosity's sake. (960 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into a tulip glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A three finger monster head that has great retention. The head is ivory in color that is creamy and foam that left lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a copper color with red hues. The clarity of the beer is clear with some carbonation bubbles.

Nose: A very strong lemon, verbena and grapefruit aroma with a subtle hop profile in the background. The malt aroma is caramel, toast, and biscuit,

Taste: A nice lemon, verbena, and grapefruit, flavor. The hops is muted compared to the nose. The malt is more prominent with caramel, toast, and biscuit,

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, astringent, creamy, and slightly warm

The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium full. Well I was starting to like the appearance and the Nose; however, the rest of the beer let me down. I know stone beer and this one is sub par compared to the rest of their brews. (940 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

This 16th anniversary is weird. Glad I only picked up a few of 'em.

It started off with a bit of a funky hard-to-describe smell that kind of threw me off, but the taste was still a Stone IPA at the heart.

It was almost like drinking a Stone IPA out of a dirty glass that previously held a sun-skunked Heineken, with some weird twist of lemon skin, but not lemon juice. (370 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

on tap at devils den

Pours a clouded copper color with some golden tones. Thin white head dissolves slowly while leaving sticky, webbed lacing around the glass.

A plethora of pine, citrus, lemon and boozy warmth in the nose. Bread crust and biscuit malt with a dosage of sweetness.

Biting hops with acidic lemony tones and grapefruit. Hints of rye spice creep through, mixed in with citrus fruit. Soft sweetness from bready malt backbone, although the combo of heavily acidic and bitter hops with rye and high ABV makes this a little rough. Finishes dry, hot and abrasive.

Medium body, decent carbonation, rougher on the tongue with lingering dryness. After the success of last year's anniversary installment, I had higher hopes for this, but there's just too much going on at once. Combine this with the double digit ABV and it's not something I'll be too quick to revisit. (881 characters)

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.