16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros

Jusse, Oct 20, 2012

uvm2003, Aug 30, 2012

terence, Sep 06, 2012

jschott75, Jul 16, 2013

gr0g, May 05, 2013

A: amber coloured liquid with excellent clarity with a 1/4" cream coloured head.

S: Muted smell of lemon and resiny pine hops.

T: Lemon verbena and lemon oil, I guess... Very resiny lemon flavours that somewhat taste like tree sap along with grapefruit dominate the taste profile. Very overpowering and not very pleasant.

M: Thick resiny viscosity and a medium level of carbonation.

O: The drinkability on this one is low, which is unfortunate because I am a very big fan of Stone IPAs.

DaftCaskBC, Aug 31, 2012

iparaez, Apr 01, 2013

Paul3371, Nov 08, 2012

marshmeli, Dec 22, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Just hit our stores today!

Pours clear dark gold/amber with a big off-white head. Good lacing and retention.

Interesting aromas. Typical tropical fruit with a touch of citrus, but the rye spice does make an appearance and in what I'm coming to associate the Calypso hop with, a huge lemon presence overwhelms. Smells a bit like lemon pledge.

Strong pine with a hefty caramel backbone greets the front of the palate. A little rye spiciness, but it's a bit more subdued than the nose. Finishes resiny and dry with an intense lemon character. Almost smells like lemon you find in saisons at times and with the rye it takes on an almost Belgian quality at times. The spicy rye and booze come out more as it warms making it harsh and unpleasant. Flavors really clash.

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. As with most DIPA's of this range, it's a bit past the sweet spot and the alcohol isn't hidden well. Gets too boozy as it warms. I like my booze in stouts, not so much in IPA's.

The weakest anniversary beer in a few years. Might have been ok if I split it, but the flavors don't lend to great drinkability and I didn't like the additives. They took away from the base flavor and added nothing pleasant.

jmarsh123, Aug 21, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

I don't know. I just don't. Something in this beer is hitting me wrongly. Looks good, no question. The aroma is a bit like lemon Pledge and flowers. Maybe it's just that I expected hops. It's similar to hops, and hops are there, but the weird lemon thing....

For a base, the malt is great. A bit of spice, some caramel, but mostly it's sturdy toasted biscuit.

Feels like an IPA, abv is hidden very well. Normally a 22oz of Stone is fine. This one I shared b/c I wanted to. I don't know

Mebuzzard, Sep 02, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a tulip glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A three finger monster head that has great retention. The head is ivory in color that is creamy and foam that left lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a copper color with red hues. The clarity of the beer is clear with some carbonation bubbles.

Nose: A very strong lemon, verbena and grapefruit aroma with a subtle hop profile in the background. The malt aroma is caramel, toast, and biscuit,

Taste: A nice lemon, verbena, and grapefruit, flavor. The hops is muted compared to the nose. The malt is more prominent with caramel, toast, and biscuit,

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, astringent, creamy, and slightly warm

The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium full. Well I was starting to like the appearance and the Nose; however, the rest of the beer let me down. I know stone beer and this one is sub par compared to the rest of their brews.

colts9016, Nov 28, 2012
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.