16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 392 | Hads: 1,388
2.99/5  rDev -21.3%

From 22 oz bomber to nonic pint

A: Light copper-tan in color, the brew forms a healthy 1-inch head that holds its form for a long time, never really fully recedes.

S: Candied lemon up against citrusy, snappy hops. Lots of sugar in this one, smells like the malt-backbone overpowers.

T: Lemon candy pops to the front of the palate first, almost making this seem malt-forward. The piny, vinous signature hop character is noted, but it's drowned out by the sweet and sticky aspects. Seems to be all over the place on the palate, not sure of what it's trying to do. The booze helps to break up the cloying sweetness, but the malts and added sugar are a bit too much....finishes long and sweet.

M: Chewy, thick. Thankfully there's ample carbonation or this one would be hard to swallow.

Valiant attempt...I can understand trying to accent the naturally citrusy aspects of West Coast style IPA's, but the beer's sweetness quickly becomes treacly. (946 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -20%

I don't know. I just don't. Something in this beer is hitting me wrongly. Looks good, no question. The aroma is a bit like lemon Pledge and flowers. Maybe it's just that I expected hops. It's similar to hops, and hops are there, but the weird lemon thing....

For a base, the malt is great. A bit of spice, some caramel, but mostly it's sturdy toasted biscuit.

Feels like an IPA, abv is hidden very well. Normally a 22oz of Stone is fine. This one I shared b/c I wanted to. I don't know (488 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A: amber coloured liquid with excellent clarity with a 1/4" cream coloured head.

S: Muted smell of lemon and resiny pine hops.

T: Lemon verbena and lemon oil, I guess... Very resiny lemon flavours that somewhat taste like tree sap along with grapefruit dominate the taste profile. Very overpowering and not very pleasant.

M: Thick resiny viscosity and a medium level of carbonation.

O: The drinkability on this one is low, which is unfortunate because I am a very big fan of Stone IPAs. (490 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: Clear glowing amber with a big fluffy cap that leaves scattered lacing.

Smell: Very herbal and lemony up front, with floral undertones. A touch of lavender, bready rye and alcohol. The liberal use of lemon verbena gives the beer a perfumey, soapy quality that isn't especially enjoyable to me.

Taste and mouthfeel: Straight-up lemon rind. Bitter and botanical, soapy, perfumey, and rather malty. Booze is somewhat noticeable, too. The body has some heft to it, though the beer remains on the dry side. Lemon peel and botanical soap flavors linger throughout the finish. Very bitter.

Overall: Clean, well crafted, but not really appealing to me. Would be a nice but unspectacular DIPA without the lemon verbena; as is it's not something I'd revisit. (763 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%

Clear deeply amber colored ale with a small white head. This is the color I call IPA Orange.

Smell is citrus and soap with tea scent. There is a delicate floral scent that is not obscured by the hops. The best I can describe the floral scent is roses. That said it isn't that aromatic.

Starts out semi-dry and savory without any complexities. Alcohol stings the tongue a bit. Alcohol warms the chest without really being detectable in the taste. Strong tea and wood with a little burnt sugar taste. Reasonably bitter. Honestly not that flavorful.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall I am severely disappointed. Stone can make better beer than this. I will try this again at a later date and confirm or revise my low opinion of this beer. (732 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

Just hit our stores today!

Pours clear dark gold/amber with a big off-white head. Good lacing and retention.

Interesting aromas. Typical tropical fruit with a touch of citrus, but the rye spice does make an appearance and in what I'm coming to associate the Calypso hop with, a huge lemon presence overwhelms. Smells a bit like lemon pledge.

Strong pine with a hefty caramel backbone greets the front of the palate. A little rye spiciness, but it's a bit more subdued than the nose. Finishes resiny and dry with an intense lemon character. Almost smells like lemon you find in saisons at times and with the rye it takes on an almost Belgian quality at times. The spicy rye and booze come out more as it warms making it harsh and unpleasant. Flavors really clash.

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. As with most DIPA's of this range, it's a bit past the sweet spot and the alcohol isn't hidden well. Gets too boozy as it warms. I like my booze in stouts, not so much in IPA's.

The weakest anniversary beer in a few years. Might have been ok if I split it, but the flavors don't lend to great drinkability and I didn't like the additives. They took away from the base flavor and added nothing pleasant. (1,206 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a half finger white head. Head retention isn't great as can be expected from a 10% beer but lacing is pretty good.

Aroma is a little odd with lemon being quite noticeable. Pine and tropical citrus are present along with a slight bit of rye spicyness. This is the only malt really detectable as hops completely dominate.

The flavor is where things go pretty bad. Lemon cookies up front mixing with pine hops and it doesn't really work. It's almost like someone sprayed lemon Pledge or dumped a shot of gin into my beer. Bitterness is high with alcohol quite noticeable on the finish. Really no malt is detectable other than a thick mouthfeel.

Overall, probably the worst beer I have had from Stone. The lemon does nothing for me and removing that, it would just be an average IIPA. Poorly balanced and not very well though-out. Not one to seek out other than for curiosity's sake. (960 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into a tulip glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A three finger monster head that has great retention. The head is ivory in color that is creamy and foam that left lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a copper color with red hues. The clarity of the beer is clear with some carbonation bubbles.

Nose: A very strong lemon, verbena and grapefruit aroma with a subtle hop profile in the background. The malt aroma is caramel, toast, and biscuit,

Taste: A nice lemon, verbena, and grapefruit, flavor. The hops is muted compared to the nose. The malt is more prominent with caramel, toast, and biscuit,

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, astringent, creamy, and slightly warm

The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium full. Well I was starting to like the appearance and the Nose; however, the rest of the beer let me down. I know stone beer and this one is sub par compared to the rest of their brews. (940 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

This 16th anniversary is weird. Glad I only picked up a few of 'em.

It started off with a bit of a funky hard-to-describe smell that kind of threw me off, but the taste was still a Stone IPA at the heart.

It was almost like drinking a Stone IPA out of a dirty glass that previously held a sun-skunked Heineken, with some weird twist of lemon skin, but not lemon juice. (370 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

on tap at devils den

Pours a clouded copper color with some golden tones. Thin white head dissolves slowly while leaving sticky, webbed lacing around the glass.

A plethora of pine, citrus, lemon and boozy warmth in the nose. Bread crust and biscuit malt with a dosage of sweetness.

Biting hops with acidic lemony tones and grapefruit. Hints of rye spice creep through, mixed in with citrus fruit. Soft sweetness from bready malt backbone, although the combo of heavily acidic and bitter hops with rye and high ABV makes this a little rough. Finishes dry, hot and abrasive.

Medium body, decent carbonation, rougher on the tongue with lingering dryness. After the success of last year's anniversary installment, I had higher hopes for this, but there's just too much going on at once. Combine this with the double digit ABV and it's not something I'll be too quick to revisit. (881 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer pours a golden color, with a light cream color head. The head fades slowly, leaving a nice lace.

This beer has a massive piney hop aroma. I get some citrus as well. It also smells very sweet. I can detect the alcohol in the aroma.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Quite hoppy, with mostly pine flavors. Some grapefruit as well. A sweet malty backbone. As with the aroma, the alcohol content is present in the flavor.

This beer is quite aggressive. It leaves a sweet hoppy aftertaste. The alcohol warms as it goes down. Carbonation is good.

This beer wouldnt make the best session beer. It is high on alcohol, and high on aggression.

Overall: This beer is ok. I dont love it, and will probably not buy it again with the other options that are available. Sorry Stone, I guess I cant love your beers all the time. This one is just too sweet and boozey. (871 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer appears as a cloudy, hazy orange/copper color that very little light shows through. Almost looks like a lighter apple cider. Thick, three finger head of off-white foam.

Smell is very strong up front with pine, resin, lemon and subtle mint. Not picking up muchin the way of the rye described on the label.

Upon first sip it's mostly slightly citrusy tang followed by some sweet malt and then finishes with a balanced hop finish. The lemon doesn't really work with the beer, for my tastes, and overpowers it, giving it an almost unnatural taste.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy and syrup-like, but not to a fault. Nicely carbonated and carries the depth of flavors well.

Overall, this is a slightly disappointing effort from a remarkably consistent brewery. This won't deter me from purchasing and consuming all of the other excellent Stone Brewery products, but I can't imagine going out of my way to drink the 16th anniversary brew again. (952 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%

22oz bottle, poured into a snifter. "August 2012" pours out a nice clear copper color, slight tint of red. a nice big 2-3 fingers of slightly offwhite head. great retention and lots of sticky lace.

intially lots of woody piney hops, caramel biscuit sweet malt, resins, and some citrus, only a bit of that lemon though. becomes really boozey as it warms up.

starts with a nice woody, piney, resinous hop, and sticky caramel malt than finishes with kind of a harsh citrus bitterness, fruity ester, and boozey sweet malt that really lingers. somewhat herbal at times. the slight spiciness from the rye kind of adds to the booziness. the mouthfeel that lingers after the sip isnt too enjoyable.

a little too much here, this prolly wouldve been better as a lower abv beer. too boozey and too much sweet malt for any hops, lemon, or rye to really show nicely. i expected more from an IPA from stone. (898 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a bomber into my wild heaven glass. Nice ruby red copper color creamy white head sticking to the side of the glass. Smell is nice hops, resiny, slightly sweet. Not getting the lemon the beer claims to have in it. Let's have a taste... hops are there slight bitterness left behind. Some alcohol presence again not really getting the lemon shining through at all. Would expect some citrus brightness from this but I'm just not getting it. This hurts my taste score because it doesn't do much to deviate from a standard ipa/dbl ipa... a good beer drinkable perhaps my expectations were too high for a beer touted here in GA as only 300 bottles arriving in the state. (675 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

From notes found today...but how could I forget?

This beer, while a slight chill haze comes off the tap (?), is a bright coppery orange, seeming to lean toward neither end of the spectrum. A lightly orange-tinted head nearly reaches a solid finger and offers pretty good retention. It leaves lacing in moderation, mostly in patching with some spotting to follow.
There's a lot going on here. Stone tends to know what they're doing with making complex beers meld together and making lots of ingredients blend well, but this isn't one of their best examples by any stretch. The spicy rye clashes with the sweeter tropical fruits, though I think it's more the earthiness.There's lots of lemon and an herbal, leafy tea-like (English?) thing going on. It's better than average, probably only because it's Stone, but barely.
The flavor, though, includes all these elements but allows more soapiness to come out; there's just too much soap, perfume and chalkiness. Again, it's Stone, but I've never known them to make only a decent beer.
There's nothing wrong with the feel, really. It's definitely the best aspect of this brew. A nice body with ample carbonation makes for a soft flow with a crispness alongside. (1,207 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -14.2%

Enjoyed in my Detroit hotel room... Picked up in Lansing at a party supply store... Can't remember the name.

Pours a polished clear lite amber... very pretty... off white head shows for about an inch and drops back pretty quickly but leaves behind decent drapes of lacing..

Nose shows herby lemon.. a bit of sorta soapy fruitiness.. just enough pale malt to balance... something that I identify with menthol with warmth, but I can't really pick out.. flowery.. almost potpourri (not a compliment)...

Flavor certainly has the traditional SoCal DIPA qualities, but they seem to get lost in a bit of astringent notes.. Big bitterness right up front.. "NOW I know what lemon verbena tastes like", too much.. reminds me of a dry tea... The malts are the tie that binds... Not really digging it.. Potpourri is a good comparison.

Expected body and carbonation... Stone does no wrong.

Overall though.. I think this one for me is maybe only a two or bottle buy... Seems pretty decent fresh, but just too abrasive and shows nothing interesting. Smells and tastes like a "flower shop" with warmth.. Okay, and I appreciate what they are going for, but it is just not in my liking.

4/3/3/4/3.5 (1,188 characters)

On-tap at Beachwood Brewing

The beer is amber in color with a creamy off-white head. Candied citrus on the nose. Fairly sweet with some toffee notes, light herbal and pine aromas, and a fairly woody character to it as well. The hop profile on the palate is quite herbal. A bit too sweet for my tastes. Lots of toffee and brown sugar on the tongue. Candied citrus/grapefruit peel, a touch of candied ginger, and a mild bitterness on the back end. (446 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

22oz brown bottle with a bottled on date on the label.

LOOK: Bright brassy hue, good amount of lacing down the glass

SMELL: Macerated lemons, earthy, herbal, bready, estery, black tea, mildly soapy, spicy, quince paste

TASTE: Herbal tea, very smooth, lemon oil, bitter grassiness, spicy, warming alcohol, fallen apples, ripe pears, bready, peppery, faint potpourri, powdered aspirin, mandarin oranges, passion fruit, bitter finish with some body

A muddled mess, somewhat tasty but way too many distractions and becomes almost too tea like or even soapy like I just walked through a The Body Shop. Over use of Amarillo with the addition of another high alpha acid hop does not work for me either. I can understand wanting to push to be different but if the pieces don't fall right then this is what you end up with. (818 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a clean and crisp golden honey with a finger if bright white head. Left some decent lacing down my glass.

The aroma is dominated by lemon oil with some lemon zest and a touch of grassy hops.

Taste follows the nose but with even more lemon. Just a mess. Lemon oil dominates the taste. Getting some lemon grass as well and a little spiciness.

Medium to full in body with an appropriate amount of carbonation. Finishes dry with a lemon aftertaste. Can't escape the lemon...

Overall, this beer didn't do it for me. Lemon overload and pretty sloppy in my opinion. I guess this was just a we did it because we can or a we are out of good ideas or holy shit we have a surplus of lemons and we need to get rid of them... Not worth the money. Just like McKayla Maroney, I'm not impressed. (789 characters)

[Poured into a large Duvel Tulip Glass]

I: Ah this has definitely been a stone week for me. Anyway, I can't resist Stone Anniversary Brews, and behold this time I'm looking at their "16th Anniversary IPA". From the description it seems like their trying to go in a radical direction from tradition with this new ipa. There is a risk with trying to make a unique or complex beer, and that it's very easy for it to become messy or unbalanced. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Stone can pull it off, though not everything they brew is gold. With all of that said, my mouth is salivating.

B: [[10.0% ABV. 1 Pint. 6 Fl. OZ. August 2012 Release] While the artwork may not be completely original, the color scheme is very attractive. Even if this doesn't turn out to be a favorite it's too beautiful to throw away. With all of that said, all the general information you'd expect from Stone is there. Back story, ABV, date, ingredients, and etc...

A: Orange copper or amber slight hazy/transparent body with a scattered head(fast dissipation), and little lacing.

S: Dominated by lemon zest, other slight tropical flavors are complimented with some boozy alcohol aroma, various spices, herbal/floral hops, and bread malt.

T: Lemon zest upfront, lingering spicy herbal presence throughout, and rye/bread malt/tropical fruit aftertaste.

M: slick/oily dry finish, medium/full bodied, moderate carbonation, and apparent alcohol(sipper).

O: Oh god what happened during the creation of this beer? Sorry if that's disrespectful, but I'm truly surprised. A good example of an unbalanced brew. It was almost too much for the senses at times. It saddens me to say that I can't really find any favorable qualities of this beer(besides the bottle presentation), unless you like getting just buzzed. I hate being hard on Stone, but no ones perfect and breweries for that matter. I would only recommend to Stone fans(for the experience), and I wouldn't buy again... nice bottle though. Savor Good Beer! (1,991 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12.9%

22 oz bomber pours a mostly clear, dark gold color with a sticky, fluffy, long-lasting white head. Veeery nice looking brew. Tons of chunky lace and retention is great.

I can smell the lemon verbena right off, very lemon-grassy and herbal. There is a light undertone of lightest-of-caramel malts and some various hop pine hop aromas. The verbena dominates to me though.

Same way in the flavor for my palate, I have been exposed to a few lemon verbena beers in the past and the flavor just is so pervasive to me. I do like the flavor a little though, so at least that is working in my favor. It is very herbal and grassy with alot of hop flavor and moderate hop bitterness. The malts are light, but sweet. They never give off that crushed graininess that seems like would help the beer balance out the herbal-ness a little bit. The sweetness from the grain does nothing to offset the alcohol or the verbena-hoppiness. It is a bit too minty and pungent for me, but I can appreciate the offering. I could see others liking this, but if you don’t like verbena, I would not recommend. (1,083 characters)

bomber from grape & gourmet, VA Beach

a: bomber into a reuben’s snifter, a khaki head falling back to a placid surface, the beer itself a copper amber in color

s: caramel malt, sweet tea spiked with herbal lemon and a touch of mint, some steeped mustiness, oily lemon rind, hops of moderate strength, earthy citrus

m: carbonation on the lighter side, medium bodied

t: caramel malt sweetness in sweet tea steeped with lemon and herbs, toasty caramel through the middle, begins to dry well into the finish and lingers long with a tannic herbal bitterness, growing with each sip

o: not a huge fan of the tealike character, everything seems a bit muddled and the bitter, leafy tannic nature overwhelms and detracts, old lemon, comes across more like old iced tea than a good dipa

4/35/35/3/35 (796 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

A chilled bottle is poured into a snifter.

The beer is slightly translucent and colored orange/copper. The head is made up of light tan foam. It appears to be fairly dense. A good even coat of foam on the walls slowly dissolves into patchy lacing. There are small, well-formed bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

There is a decent amount of lemon citrus in the nose. It comes across as acidic and bitter. There is a grassy element to the aroma as well, but it is mild. I'm not picking up any overt sweetness.

As its reputation lead me to expect, this beer has a lot of lemon flavor. It comes in quickly and lingers on for a long time after swallowing. Some bitterness can be tasted while I hold the beer in my mouth, but it feels strongest after I swallow—probably because the lemon isn't as strong at this point. The few pepper flavors from the addition of rye is a nice touch.

The beer has a full body and not too much carbonation. A coating is left on my lips and in my mouth. There is no burn or other indication that this is such a strong beer.

While this beer is an interesting take on the double IPA style, the high amount of lemon flavor just isn't for me. I bought the bottle because I like to see what Stone is up to, but I wouldn't recommend you go out of your way to find one for yourself. (1,317 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

22 oz bomber poured into an nonic.

Pours a clear copper color with a finger and a half of foam that coats the glass nicely. Aroma is over the top citrus, lemon peel.

First sip is... huge lemon flavor slaps you at first, then a rush of citrusy hops, and then a flower-like, perfumey bite at the end. Very bitter. A bit hot - alcohol burn does poke through.

It tastes too much like perfume to me... astringent, bitter, and unpleasingly floral with cinnamon like flavors as well. I enjoy a good tongue-curling DIPA, but the addition of the floral, spice, and lemon flavors makes this beer a miss for me. (604 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a dark golden orange color with apricot colored edges and a two finger pillowy off-white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Complex aroma with a nice balance of citrus/tropical fruit, spicy, earthy hop notes and sweet malts. Very floral with some dank, grassy pine needle character along with a slight onion-y presence. This is countered by a prominent tropical and citrus fruit notes, notably grapefruit, pineapple and lemon peel. Malt backbone is a bit stronger than I expected with caramel, toffee, biscuit and grain.

Medium bodied with a blast of dank, sticky hops that give off an overwhelming dry bitterness that dominates the flavor. Not as complex as the nose suggests with tongue coating, resinous pine needle and earthy grass flavor. The onion like character from the nose is there but all of the citrus and tropical fruit sweetness is completely overpowered. Again, the malt backbone is stronger than I prefer with lots of caramel sweetness, toffee and biscuit. The high ABV is well masked but the hop profile is too one dimensional and the malt presence is too strong for my preference. (1,156 characters)

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.