16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
beerpadawan

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours beautifully with a clear, copper color, tiny bubbles swirling toward the surface. A two-finger, meringue head formed that several minutes later remains a solid coating over the beverage.

Smell is pretty nice; not of the pedigree that lulls me into a brief, dreamlike, interludial trip to hop heaven. But there are definite hints of the promised lemon, and fruity, tropical, and spicy-peppery notes jump out as well.

Lemon; spice; lingering bitterness and warmth mixed with lemon flavor turns metallic and somewhat astringent throughout a lengthy finish. The body is surprisingly lithe and nimble for a 10% brew. A round sweetness pervades mid-quaff, but fades quickly as the lemony tang and bitter hops take over.

Overall I appreciate the beer; it's good to taste the lemon with more traditional double IPA flavors. However, it's not a combination that would produce repeat purchases from me if it were a regular release.

09-01-2012 05:07:22 | More by beerpadawan
AgentMunky

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass. Bottled August 2012.

A: Fluffy white head fades sorta soon. Good lacing. Mild effervescence and amber clarity.

S: Huge hops. This smells 100+ IBU. Huge, piny hops with grapefruit rind and weed. Lemon zest and excellence.

T: Uh, what? The lemon oil/verbena is way overwhelming and makes it taste like my bathsoap (L'Occitane en Provence Lime Verbena). The IPA part is fine, but I don't really enjoy the additional citrus peel supplements. The aftertaste is bitter and earthy.

M: Substantial enough. Goodish carbonation.

O: You can't just throw hops at everything. The herbal nature of this beer puts me off. Not recommended from the bottle (though I seem to recall an excellent draft version).

09-18-2012 06:25:56 | More by AgentMunky
writerLJBerg

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

22oz bottle. Served in Bailey's tulip.

A: Lightly rusted copper with an off-white/cream colored head that foams straight up from an aggressive pour. Looks pretty nice, I must say.

N: Well, it's an IPA. Shock coming from Stone, I know. Resinous pine, green peppercorn, earth, and some very light tropical fruit. However, the dominant flavor is the bitter hops. Slight hint of the lemon aspects, but they almost seem to come more from the hops.

T: More malt forward than I expected. There's a bit of lemon zest here, and more of the pine hoppiness. Has some pronounced medicinal qualities, as though I was going to rub this on my skin. Has a very woody quality, as well. Alcohol's well hidden for 10% though.

M: Probably the worst part of this. It's kind of oily and slick and it really coats the palate but it doesn't dry it out. I'm guessing that's lemon oil doing it.

O: Decent, I suppose. Drinkable and certainly worth a shot, but pretty much every DIPA I open from Stone, I want to be equivalent to their 10th Anniversary.

08-19-2012 01:05:35 | More by writerLJBerg
HarrySTruman

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured goldish orange, A tyical IPA/DIPA look.

Smelled of hops in a big way. Grassy and floral. Some citrus popped out as well. As many others have mentions, the citrus was close to a lemon smell. It wasn't really that appealing as a smell, a bit to big, and if the nose were the flavor I would call in unbalanced.

The taste was goood. It had a citrus flavor, but the alcohol and the malt backbone did a good job of balancing the flavor. I thought the flavor made this 10% abv very drinkable. A bit much on the citrus flavors, but it did a good job in balancing some of the more mudane flavors.

Medium with a moderate amount of carbonation. Not thin, not thick, just right on a DIPA.

This beer will get you drunk, plain and simple. It's easy to drink, it has a high ABV, and it tastes pretty good. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to try this on draft, but it isn't one of the best examples of the style. I think Stone had big dreams for this beverage and they fell just a bit short, but it was still a high quality drink and one that I would certainly drink again if I found it on tap.

11-13-2012 09:45:59 | More by HarrySTruman
peabody

Kentucky

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours out a clear amber with lots of suds and effervescence. Good lacing on the glass.
Aroma of lemon peel along with the floral hops and grapefruit rind. The alcohol is present here.
Taste is def. IPA. Bitter at first then boozy and finally sugars and lemon finish this one off.
Mouthfeel is very clean but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.
Overall this one is a bit hot and there isn't enough fruityness from the hop and the lemon/verbena.

09-03-2012 14:34:53 | More by peabody
DavoleBomb

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a perfect pint.

4.0 A: Clear light orange color. Two and a half fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is pretty good given the ABV and a ton of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Surprisingly earthy. Usually Stone goes for floral and, while there is some of that, the hops are decidedly earthy. I'm loving the lemon components in this, which makes this come off somewhat like a hoppy saison. Though this is hop forward, the malts are quite potent as well. Plenty of caramel with just as much toastiness. This really isn't all that complex and I doubt many will think much of this nose, but I am just loving the lemon too much to not give it a good score.

3.5 T: The taste is good, but there isn't enough hops, which is something I rarely have to say about Stone's beers. To be fair, it does have a big earthy hoppiness, but I want some complexity from the hops. There is some floral and woody notes, but not enough. There is a good balance between hops and malts though. Caramel and toastiness sticks out quite well. Moderate to heavy moderate bitterness. Booze is just barely detectable. The lemon products give a nice earthy lemony vibe, but not much in terms of tartness. Still, I like what they bring.

3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Not a lot of creaminess given that this is an IPA, but it's not bad overall and it is quite smooth.

3.5 D: Decent effort. Doesn't "wow" me in any way, but it was worth a try.

10-26-2012 04:02:02 | More by DavoleBomb
John_M

Oregon

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, as I pick up some light lemon, dry citrus and light pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but there's more of a malt presence than I expected, and the finish is alcoholic and hot. The beer has good bitterness, but it's not enough to counter the sweet malty alcohol flavor, and I don't think the lemon flavor helps a whole lot. Mourhfeel is medium bodied with a long, bitter, alcoholic finish. Drinkability is very poor... cannot imagine trying to down an entire bomber of this beer.

While not terrible, I think this is a miss for Stone. I had a difficult time even drinking the sampler size glass I got, and drinking the beer side by side with the excellent Stone double dry hop IPA really put things into perspective. Am not impressed with this one.

08-19-2012 18:35:38 | More by John_M
gpogo

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Light amber body with a bit of particulate matter. Nice fluffy white head, eventually turned into just a foam ring.

A- Lots of citrus and pine. Almost like cleaning supplies. Light rye.

T- Sweet malt flavor followed with a spicy hint of rye. Lemon flavors throughout. Hops just kick the citrus up a notch.

M- Medium body, moderate to high carbonation.

D- Enjoyable, but I probably wouldn't pick up another. The citrusy pine was just on the border of cleaning supplies. The light rye spiciness was a nice touch though.

08-24-2012 05:00:35 | More by gpogo
zachary80

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Bomber poured into a Stella chalice

Nice white head with good retention and lacing. Body is cloudy orange.

Aroma is interesting - lots of citrus and floral smells intermingling, not overwhelmingly strong but still somewhat potent. Slight soapiness at the end.

Flavor threw me off a bit as it differs quite a bit from a standard IPA. Lemon and other citrus notes are here but they combine the other ingredients in an interesting way. Earthy and reminiscent of herbal tea. More bitter than sweet, moderately lingers.

Mouthfeel is as expected for a DIPA, medium-full bodied, good carbonation. 10% abv is contained well.

Overall it is an interesting deviation from the style but not one I will purchase again.

09-30-2012 03:29:26 | More by zachary80
HopHead84

8/13/2012

Bottle into a snifter.

Dark orange with good clarity and a finger of white froth. Solid retention and scattered lacing.

The nose is a blend of pine, tangerine, mango, and papaya. I detect floral and lemon character as well. Soft notes of pumpernickel linger beneath the hop aromatics. There's a light sweetness that balances the expressive hop profile, as well as a touch of alcohol.

Lower moderate sweetness in the flavor accompanying rye, toasted malt, and a dash of spiciness. The beer is moderately bitter with an insistent booziness. Firm pine resin influence meets orange flesh and pith, grapefruit rind, and a dash of tangerine. Alcohol flavor waxes as the beer warms up and I slowly drain my glass. Upper medium in body with matching carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

A nice beer for what it is and for the ABV, but as was the case with Ruination 10th I'd rather they dropped the ABV a couple points as it's somewhat heavy on the palate and the alcohol flavor is a little too strong for my taste. Reminds me too much of an American Barleywine. I guess it's not really my type of Double IPA. Still pretty good though, and I think many will enjoy it.

08-14-2012 03:42:05 | More by HopHead84
kemoarps

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

It's a beautiful looking beer. A rich amber, moderately opaque, nicotine white head (not meant to be disparaging, just the best description of the colour I can think of right now)

The nose is fairly weak. some vineous hops. little citrus

Taste is primarily bitter citrus hops, with a sweet malt backboard. Solid but not exceptional.

Dry bitter hops. Smoothe enough going down, but the back of the tongue just keeps going.

meh. it's ok, has its moments, but not exceptional

10-23-2012 04:20:58 | More by kemoarps
kawilliams81

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 8 oz snifter.

A- Pours a nice orange with a 2 finger off-white head. Leapord spotting of lacing remains on the glass.

S- Caramel, orange, pineapple, lemon, spices.

T- Seet caramel, orange, lemon and spices (can't pick out but spice is familiar), pine and more lemon zest.

M- Medium body and carbonation. REally nice thick creamy mouthfeel. Rye might play a role in creaminess.

O- Just a ok dipa to me. Lemon and spice is a bit much and detracts from the beer for me.

09-03-2012 03:54:16 | More by kawilliams81
JerzDevl2000

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up at ShopRite Liquors in Caldwell yesterday, since it was the only place I found this at. I was excited to try this since I enjoyed the other Anniversary beers from Stone but this was just a bit lacking. It was a good IPA with enough alcohol and taste to it but the lemon and spice detracted from the overall experience a bit. While this was aggressive and edgy, it was just a bit too much out of the norm for me and not up to par with most of their other offerings.

The pour to this was a strong almond color with a nice head and lacing to match. Lots of pine in the front with a bit of valencia-type orange underneath it. That was also present in the taste up-front which faded into a mix of grass and pepper, before the lemon just took over. Just a bit too much sourness to this as the spice lingered in the aftertaste. Quite aggressive, this was not a quick sipper and was not as thick in the body as I would have liked either.

Like most of the Stone beers, this was very strong in the booze department and it did detract from the beer. It almost reminded me of a hopped-up Saison except the hue to this was clear. It was a unique take on the style but the West Coast feel of this was overshadowed by the overpowering spiciness and the near-pucker that my face made at times. There's nothing out there like this but there's a good reason why this wasn't something attempted before. It didn't really work and it was only worth a try once, just to see what any fuss was about.

11-05-2012 23:59:31 | More by JerzDevl2000
magictacosinus

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a tulip glass.

This beer provides an amber color with reddish and orangish tones. Definitely thick as an quintessential IPA would be, and the alcohol leggings and low carbonation make it seem pensive, patient, and quite elegant in presentation. Slightly modest head, which is impressive considering its high ABV. If this was slightly more filtered, it would look just like many homemade brews that come one's way (although whether they're a comparable quality product is the question here...).

The aroma is definitely quite strong and diverse, and I'm immediately reminded that this is indeed a San Diego hoppy product. The Amarillo hops are extremely recognizable, and malty rye smell is predominantly featured. Not too tropical or lemony though... getting more orange and grapefruit aromas. No alcohol at all, no matter how much it warms up. Approach with caution.

Spiced rye and hop explosion! Add that to a dry and lemon finish, and you essentially have a bare description of what this beer tastes like. No alcohol present in the taste or finish, but sadly no tropical flavors to my liking. I definitely enjoy that the rye flavor is more subtle than expected, and the lemon, herby finish is really nice and smooth. In terms of body, it's a good take on the "classic" SD Imperial IPA - meaning that it's definitely more the type I like - but the flavors seem a bit conflicting at times, especially as it goes from overtly bitter to spicy to a little sour - but never sweet. The finish is fabulous, though, and makes it an overall easy beer to drink.

Nevertheless, while it still is a great product by Stone, I feel a little underwhelmed overall, despite the fact that the rye/lemon combo worked pretty well here. It's definitely not "tropical" enough, and the citrus flavors, while good, are slightly conflicting with the lemon sour and dryness. It makes a very good accompaniment with food - I drank this with fried tuna filet and spinach which were soaked in butter, fried garlic, and a dash of lemon. Alone however? A good beer, but perhaps not my personal favorite the sector of SD imperial IPAs. I always make question to support Stone, but they've definitely had more thrilling anniversary ales in the past.

08-14-2012 04:33:58 | More by magictacosinus
LittleDon

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%

Copper with a off white head. Lots of sticky lace and good head retention. Some haze. Aroma balances pineapple and malt with less tropical fruit that expected. Flavor is less complex than other Stone IPAs. Leans toward the dry side. Lots of bitterness in the finish and mild acidity. Some alcohol present middle to finish. Medium to medium heavy body and very rich. Medium plus carbonation.

Probably should have open it sooner. Aug 2012 date, consumed 19-Jan-13. Stored in refrigerator at a fairly cold temperature (~40-45).

01-19-2013 22:26:23 | More by LittleDon
mdaschaf

Washington

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a dark orange color with a large off-white head with decent retention. Thin lacing forms all around the glass.

S: Lots of lemon and pine, almost reminds me of lemon pine-sol. Some light citrus fruits, a little bit of spice, and faint alcohol. Overall there is a perfumy/soapy aroma that I don't really dig.

T: Interestingly, there is some candied sugar mixed in with lemon, lemon zest and a little bit of rye spice. On the finish there is a bit of grapefruit and pine.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The pine-sol aspect doesn't really do much for me.

O: Not bad, not really sure why they had to make the abv so high, I think at around 7% it would have been a little better.

08-29-2012 01:07:42 | More by mdaschaf
HalfFull

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Fresh bomber poured into a globe glass, showing a clear light copper with half an inch of slightly off white foam. Decent retention and lace from a steady boil of carbonation.

Aroma of citrus and pine and moderately coarse in nature. Bit of lemon and mango but surely not the lemon oil/pledge others pick up on. I've had beers with that aroma and I'm glad it isn't too flamboyant here. Instead I get a subtle floral/lemon spice note, though a bit too much agitation does push the potpourri essence a bit much.

Flavor follows with hop spice dominant along with a surprisingly light malt backbone. Even warm the alcohol is hardly evident on the aroma or taste, and that's without an obvious malty coverup. Bit of citric/orange malt is present but doesn't come across as being viscous or debilitating/cloying. Offers a good carbonation and a creamy feel. Bitterness is quite subtle and balanced, especially for Stone.

Overall a well done brew that gently nudges the rules without bending them too much. Head lacks a bit as for stickiness and the aroma is solid yet not riveting. Nonetheless, at 10% this beer drinks silly smooth. Use caution.

08-21-2012 03:54:15 | More by HalfFull
ppoitras

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from somewhere localish.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" blonde head over the cloudy golden amber brew. Dense head holds on well, with plenty of lasting lace. Aroma is lime and spices.

Taste is bitter from top to bottom, as you would expect from the style and Stone. Amongst that, a sweet start, citrus in the middle, and tons of pine hops through and after the close. numbing alcohol aftereffects. Mouthfeel is reasonably smooth, but drinkability is somewhat limited for me due to the overpowering bitter. I realize that is the style, but still think it can be done with a bit more finesse, and allow more flavors to still come through.

10-24-2012 23:43:08 | More by ppoitras
prototypic

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

16th Anniversary pours a lighter copper color. It’s very clear. Holding it to light gives it a bit of an orange look. An off-white head sits on top. It stands over two fingers tall and is very slow to completely dissipate. Lacing was very sticky and thick, leaving an impressive web of lace trailing down the glass.

The nose is good. It smells rather sweet and sugary. Caramel malt is definitely in the mix, but doesn’t smell too strong. Toasted malts are secondary. Hops come through nice and strong. They smell mostly citric. Lemon and orange seem to be strongest scents, but they’re followed by grassy and floral notes. There is a bit of spicy rye, more than anticipated. Smells a bit bread-like. Alcohol is definitely there. It’s not overwhelming, but it’s there. Smells good.

The flavor doesn’t quite live up to the nose. It starts out with a mix of caramel and toasted malts. It’s definitely sweet and sugary. The caramel variety is a little stronger than I’d like. Hops are nice and strong. They have a pretty nice flavor. It’s mostly citric lemon and orange. They’re nice and bitter, but the malts provide some balance. Rye is definitely more pronounced than advertised. It adds a spicy kick and works with the hops pretty well. Alcohol is noted, but isn’t warm or hot. Finishes sweet, hoppy, and a bit spicy.

16th Anniversary has a medium body. Carbonation seems relatively light and soft. It’s nice and smooth overall though. For a bigger beer, it goes down relatively easy. If the flavor were a little better, its drinkability would be scary.

Stone’s 16th Anniversary release is pretty good, but isn’t great. I like the flavors they experimented with, but the caramel and toasted malt base isn’t all that great. It’s a bit much for my taste, but it’s far from terrible. Definitely worth grabbing a bottle while it’s around. Happy 16th!

10-06-2012 01:37:44 | More by prototypic
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Had this one as a part of the tasting held at GBX! Served from growler into a sampler shaker. Poured yellow-orange with a minimal white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, lemongrass, alcohol, spicy hop, earth, and pine. The flavor was of sweet malt, lemongrass, spices, floral, floral hop, flower petals, pine resin, and alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. If I am honest here, there was something in the flavor and aroma that was a little off-putting. The lemongrass aspect going on here definitely dominated this brew to a degree and covered up a lot of other little things going on. While it wasn't abrasive to the palate it also wasn't the most enjoyable thing either. Everything else was fairly solid on it though so I can't fault them for that. Worth trying at least once, but I doubt I would go out of my way to do so again unless I felt like I needed to eat some Thai flowers.

09-07-2012 11:14:34 | More by thagr81us
philbe311

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Two fingers worth of tightly packed, fizzy, slightly creamy, light khaki colored head with a bit of a rocky top... Average retention gives way to a full lacing and fairly thick collar... The color is a deep rich vibrant amber with a distinctive red hue... A limited bit of slightly sluggish paced carbonation... A good bit of lacing clings to the glass throughout...

S - An earthy hoppiness is at the forefront... Lots of grassy notes... The lemony notes are buried beneath the surface... A very subtle gummi bear like sweetness lingers beneath the surface... Some grainy alcohol notes as well...

T - Starts with grassy and wheat notes... A subtle fruit juice like sweetness is next... The earhty hop presence then emerges... The finish is dominated by sour citrus notes of both the orange and lemon variety...

M - On the fuller side of light bodied... A bit sleek... A bit sticky... Lightly carbonated... Starts fairly juicy and lush... The finish is a touch dry...

D - A very unique and interesting offering from Stone... Not something that I would drink with regularity, but fresh perspective on the style that makes for an interesting anniversary beer... Pales a bit in comparison to previous Stone Anniversary brews (the 15th is an all-time classic)...

08-24-2012 01:36:34 | More by philbe311
ocelot2500

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a clear copper color with a tight, white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of lemon, rye, and a bit of pine.

Tastes of the overarching lemon flavor layered with hops and sweet malts. Bready malts lead off with some caramel and toffee notes. This gives way to a little rye spiciness which add some body as well. The lemon becomes more noticeable as the hops kick in. Citrus, tropical fruits, and pine notes emerge along with a solid bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, there is a bit too much going on here, but my love of lemons still has me liking it.

08-23-2012 03:01:31 | More by ocelot2500
EgadBananas

Louisiana

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Dark orange, with a fluffy off-white head. Left some lacing

S: Definitely can get the lemon oil. Hints a booze, some peppery notes, spices and some herbal qualities

T: Lemony too on the taste, bit of a bitter edge, citrus fruits, and some alcohol. Some sweet malts too.

M: Quite full, slick and quite oily feeling.

Overall, it's pretty good, but it's not fantastic.

09-08-2012 21:24:37 | More by EgadBananas
ShanePB

22 oz bottle
Served into a globe glass

A: Fairly clear amber copper colored body with a creamy, bubbly off-white one finger head. Lacing is pretty good as well as nice amounts of retention on the surface.

S: Big citrus hops, lemon and orange oil, sweet sugary malts. Sort of reminded me of a sugar-coated orange slice candy with touches of floral hops too.

T: More lemon and orange oil up front, almost as if this were some sort of extract; very potent. Citrus, floral and a dash of piney hops on the palate. Finish is fairly bitter into the linger.

M: Just a bit thin though it does have a nice feel and creaminess for the style. Easy drinking with a small amount of alcohol.

This was a nice beer but the oils just were a bit too much at times I felt. If those could have been dialed back a bit to let more of the rich malts and floral hops come out, this would be a big winner.

08-27-2012 15:24:12 | More by ShanePB
Kromes

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a hazy amber with a thick off-white head that leaves rings of lacing down the glass. Has a nice herbal, peppercorn and citrus hop aroma with a decent toffee malt in the background. The flavor is a little bit different than the aroma. It starts out with a citrus and pepper flavor with a toasted malt sweetness. It finishes with a sweet and slightly toffee malt flavor along with some earthy hop. The feel is a bit heavy and syrupy with low carbonation. Pretty good beer here. I did like the aroma, however, it was a bit too sweet for my tastes.

09-19-2012 22:49:13 | More by Kromes
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.