16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

theblackrook, Aug 17, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

BamBamJohnny, Dec 02, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

I've been a huge fan of Stone for a long time, and for good reason: They typically brew a high quality beer. This 16th anniversary IPA is not different. Despite it's 10% ABV bite, this beer is surprisingly balanced. Not as hoppy as many DIPA's, I was pleased with the rye malt flavors and slight bitterness. I typically drink very hoppy beers, but this beer could get me back into malty brews again. A bargain at $6.99 for the 22oz bottle.

hankthetank97, Aug 29, 2012

InstaBeer, Oct 29, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

UTee28, Sep 15, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Second time trying as i was entirely too inebriated the first time i had it. This time around i found it not to be as hyped as i had strained to recollect.

A- A very nice clear amber with a nice orange hue to it.

S- grass clippings with lemon juice. Oily, resinous hops garnishing a lemonade.

T- Bitter lemon and hops upfront. A sweet malt backbone that makes the beer surpsingly more drinkable than the earlier lemon notes would have made you think. Warming alcohol is vaguely there.

MF- Slick on the mouth, warming alcohol on the way down.

Overall another solid release from Stone as usual however the second time around I must say that the lemon is a bit much. I much prefer grapefruit notes to an IPA

ArrogantBastard203, Sep 05, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -16%

This 16th anniversary is weird. Glad I only picked up a few of 'em.

It started off with a bit of a funky hard-to-describe smell that kind of threw me off, but the taste was still a Stone IPA at the heart.

It was almost like drinking a Stone IPA out of a dirty glass that previously held a sun-skunked Heineken, with some weird twist of lemon skin, but not lemon juice.

TrackZero, Aug 23, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

dgroseph, Nov 01, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

phattsrules, Mar 11, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I currently live in Pensacola after moving from San Marcos, CA. I'm very used to drinking the local SD beers however we tend to get them months after their production date.

The weather down here is very warm, and I have to say this beer is an excellent complement.

It has had some time to mellow and it comes through. The color is a lovely orange to a lighter color that resembles their ruination.

The nose is interesting because you're trying to find the lemon, but I honestly think that if this was a blind taste test you wouldn't be able to smell it over the typical hop nose.

The taste is what I would call very refreshing. I hesitate to use that terminology due to certain trademarked slogans. But it almost resembles a Thai tea lemon flavor that blends very well with the already bitter hop characteristic. And the flavor dissipates very quickly leaving a clean feeling on the pallet.

I'm a hop head myself, the bitter the better. This one kicks fairly well for aging this long, but the 10% ABV is completely undedectable.

All and all and awesome brew. I honestly thought I wasn't going to like it, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

ajpadre, Feb 09, 2013
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.