Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Reviews: 392 | Hads: 1,388
3.8/5  rDev 0%

The Stone 16th Anniversary IPA this year has a hoppy, lemony, citrusy flavor that I must say, is very complex and interesting. I’ll admit, at first it caught me a bit off-guard. While it’s not “more lemon than lemon” as they advertise, in fact, I’d say I got more peach from it than lemon, it is very sour (but in a good way, not a “bad beer” way.) I’ll also admit, I wasn’t sure at first if I liked it.

But it paired great with the ribs and pulled pork I had for dinner, so I drank the whole bottle over the evening (they come in large 22-ounce bottle that I usually, when I have a beer that size, drink only half of in a night and wine-stopper the rest until the next day), and by the end of it came to really appreciate its complexity and punch.

One of the reasons I like Stone beers, is they’re generally bold, bitter, rich, and don’t go easy on you. They give you an experience. And this 16th Anniversary IPA is an experience. After you allow your palate to accept the lemony-peach, you can start appreciating the malty spices. The hoppy finish. By the last third of the bottle, the flavors no longer jump out separately but meld nicely into a tapestry that works together.

It’s not a beer for partying with or drinking thoughtlessly (none of the beers I like are like that, actually. Sam Adams Boston Lager is probably the closest I can come to to drinking a beer without “experiencing” it). It’s absolutely one worthy of an annual treat! Sadly, I only have 5 left. I better savor them. (1,525 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

22 oz. bomber. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance is typical of a craft double IPA. Amber colored with hints of red when held to the light. The head is excellent. A very light, off white, that has nice legs.

Smells of pine, grapefruit, and hints of lemon.

Taste is great. Comparable to the DFH Hellhound mentioned below but I like this lemon better. It is a featured flavor as opposed to a nice finish. The hop and malt balance is solid here. A surprise from Stone who usually beats you senseless with hops. Finish is clean and avoids the over-pine ending to other DIPAs from Stone. Would purchase again.

Mouthfeel is nice and clean. (634 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Great appearance with a deep orange color and a nice thick white head. Some thin spotty lacing down the glass. Smells of a lemon and pine. Tastes of a lemony, hoppy bomb, with a definite strong malt backbone. After that you get an herbal aftertaste that is pretty good in my book.

Overall, I liked this beer just to try it because I can not get it in my state. The lemon verbena flavor is outstanding and if you don't like this beer, keep it for a chicken marinade. I think it would be outstanding for that use. (512 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

I was SO excited to get this all the way in MD the week or two after it was released. This is an AMAZING DIPA. May be the best one I've ever had...

Appearance: A really pretty dark gold, thick yet small head that fades real quick

Smell: Citrus, bubble gum, pepper/rye, floral notes with a touch of booze on the nose. Wondeful.

Taste: Wow, wow, wow. A lot going on and a lot working amazingly well together. Lemon zest is pretty forward with a nice blast of hops surprisingly in the backround. The rye is there but its just a touch, really as much as I'd want it to be an any of my beers - especially the DIPA's

Mouthfeel: light carbonation with a really sticky off-dry sort of finish.

Overall: Thoroughly impressed, I didn't get to try the 10th anny Ruination unfortunately but this easily makes up for it. I've got 2 more bottles of this and will make an effort to snag another from my shop. This is one of the better beers and DIPA's I've had in my young BA life. Drank a Pliny last night and while I'm never been too huge on Pliny, this simply puts it to shame for me. This is an amazing beer...try hard to get it. (1,122 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW! This one was brewed with me in mind. I'm a hop-head and this one, with the slight rye characteristics along with a vibrant lemon accord made my summer. The nose is of over-exaggerrated lemon, which is the verbena. The mouthfeel is oily and pine/green tasting. At 10.00 ABV this beer is two glasses into a wonderful and flavorful IIPA experience. The nose is great, the body is great, color is great, bottle is great...catch my drift? One of my favs. (454 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: rich reddish cooper color but fairly transparent. Smallish head but good lacing

Aroma: not overpowering and strong but citrus-y with hints of apples. Yeasty and slightly alcoholic.

Palate: hop heavy from the start with a dry hoppy finish. Fruity notes with a hint of cinnamon and spices on the back end. Very full bodied (334 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Stone's 16th Anniversary IPA is a good, solid double IPA. That said, it lacks the intense hoppiness of other Stone DIPAs.

Not much of a head as I poured the beer into a pint glass, but there was a nice amber color that was inviting.

On the bottle Stone says that they've tried experimenting with lemony flavors and aromas. I did detect some citrus notes, but also pine. But that's a good thing for me.

The taste is mild compared to other Double IPAs. The rye malt is definitely present and not overwhelmed by hops. Not very bitter.

The beer does leave a coat in my mouth and I prefer a crisper brew, but considering the ABV, it's not unexpected.

Overall this reminds me of the Ruination 10th Anniversary without all the hoppy goodness. Not one of Stone's best concoctions but still a pleasure to drink. (807 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +5%

22oz bottle marked August 2012. Poured into a tulip. Served around 40*F.

A: Perfectly clear amber/copper, with a light one-finger head which quickly dissipates to a dusting, and leaves behind nice lacing. Love the way this beer looks... it almost glows.

S: A strong hop smell, mixed with lemon, grass, grapefruit. Becomes less hoppy and more peppery and malty as it warms. Though the smell was good, you really had to pay attention and seek it out. A little subtle for my likes.

T: Pine, citrus (grapefruit, lemon rind), floral and spicy. Hoptastic. This is very fresh, and the flavors reflect it.

M: As a good DIPA should, this coats the mouth. Low carbonation and a smooth, thick mouthfeel. Oily hops and a lemon/bitter aftertaste are left behind. A slight tingle from the high ABV.

O: I set the bar really high for this one. Great hop selection, and the malt balances it very well. The lemon oil adds a bit more zing in the aftertaste department, and the mouthfeel is appropriate for a DIPA. Nice touch with the rye, as well. Definitely a great beer. Happy 16th, Stone!

Review #4 - 8/26/12 (1,098 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: the IPA look is a blend of orange-amber beauty and this beer does not disappoint. Two finger tan head.

Smell: you can smell the alcohol in this beer. Floral citrus notes. The alcohol is a bit off-putting.

Taste: strong! Some 10% beers don't taste like they are 10%. This is not one of them! Hoppy! Is this really a single IPA? Hits like a DIPA to me.

Mouthfeel: a bit oily. Proper carbonation, easy to drink.

Overall: glad I was able to pick one of these up! I really enjoy Stone beers and this one is definitely on par. (537 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

I've been a huge fan of Stone for a long time, and for good reason: They typically brew a high quality beer. This 16th anniversary IPA is not different. Despite it's 10% ABV bite, this beer is surprisingly balanced. Not as hoppy as many DIPA's, I was pleased with the rye malt flavors and slight bitterness. I typically drink very hoppy beers, but this beer could get me back into malty brews again. A bargain at $6.99 for the 22oz bottle. (439 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

Second time trying as i was entirely too inebriated the first time i had it. This time around i found it not to be as hyped as i had strained to recollect.

A- A very nice clear amber with a nice orange hue to it.

S- grass clippings with lemon juice. Oily, resinous hops garnishing a lemonade.

T- Bitter lemon and hops upfront. A sweet malt backbone that makes the beer surpsingly more drinkable than the earlier lemon notes would have made you think. Warming alcohol is vaguely there.

MF- Slick on the mouth, warming alcohol on the way down.

Overall another solid release from Stone as usual however the second time around I must say that the lemon is a bit much. I much prefer grapefruit notes to an IPA (710 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

This 16th anniversary is weird. Glad I only picked up a few of 'em.

It started off with a bit of a funky hard-to-describe smell that kind of threw me off, but the taste was still a Stone IPA at the heart.

It was almost like drinking a Stone IPA out of a dirty glass that previously held a sun-skunked Heineken, with some weird twist of lemon skin, but not lemon juice. (370 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I currently live in Pensacola after moving from San Marcos, CA. I'm very used to drinking the local SD beers however we tend to get them months after their production date.

The weather down here is very warm, and I have to say this beer is an excellent complement.

It has had some time to mellow and it comes through. The color is a lovely orange to a lighter color that resembles their ruination.

The nose is interesting because you're trying to find the lemon, but I honestly think that if this was a blind taste test you wouldn't be able to smell it over the typical hop nose.

The taste is what I would call very refreshing. I hesitate to use that terminology due to certain trademarked slogans. But it almost resembles a Thai tea lemon flavor that blends very well with the already bitter hop characteristic. And the flavor dissipates very quickly leaving a clean feeling on the pallet.

I'm a hop head myself, the bitter the better. This one kicks fairly well for aging this long, but the 10% ABV is completely undedectable.

All and all and awesome brew. I honestly thought I wasn't going to like it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. (1,150 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a beautiful copper/golden color with a two finger head of fine slightly copper colored bubbles, beautiful lacing, reasonably stable head with residual foam across top for quite some time.

S: Lemon Citrus and Tropical fruit mixed with sweet malt aromas. Sweetness of the malts begin to come through on the aroma.

T: Strong grapefruit bitterness and tropical hops followed immediately by a bracing bitterness on the back of the tongue and an almost cloying sweetness. Surprisingly, both the bite of the bitter and the sweetness dissipate fairly rapidly to give a light bitter and malty, but not sweet finish. Lemon noticeable in the aroma is not obvious in the taste. Almost to sweet but not quite.

M: Amazingly creamy head with nice medium mouthfeel in the beer. Very nice.

O: Very nice overall with much to recommend it. Only downfall in my mouth is the almost overdone sweetness. (893 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%

I really liked this IPA, i'm not a huge hop head so i thought the lemon oil cut this really nicely and made it a very well balanced beer. Checking the alcohol content was an after thought , tasted very tolerable so i was shocked to see ten percent abv listed on the label. I actually went back to the store to purchase two more to save for friends. (348 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

So Just like most people who have reviewed this, I believe temperature does play a big roll in this beer. If you like citrus being the main component, then drink it cold, you like rye and spice more, warmer is when you wanna drink this beer. If you're like me though and like beers that have layer, that change during the time you're drinking it, start with it cold and drink the last of it warm. I'm a huge fan of this beer, way to go Stone! (442 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Stone's 16th Anniversary IPA, served in an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Amber orange in color, respectable lacing, two-fingered head that dissipates after a minute or two, after first pour there is a good amount of carbonation present, aesthetically adept.

Smell: Ever present notes of pine, a smattering of lemon balances the aroma nicely, and tailing behind; a spicy bouquet whispers to the noses olfactory receptors.

Taste: Let there be PINE! An unapologetic call to arms for your taste buds (Granted after the first few sips your palate adjusts to the intensity). Following the initial attack, subtle waves of sweet citrus cascade over the palate. The citrus elements do an admirable job balancing this strong IPA. A welcomed bitterness reveals itself once the lemony notes fade. Finishes strong to remind us of everything we revere and love about IPA's.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation flirts away inside the mouth, medium weight verging on heavy. I'd say this beer is smooth like a bar fight is fun when your face is already numb. In other words, those who like quirky flavorful beers will welcome this adventure.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. Its balance does a good job of concealing its strength (which certainly sneaks up on you if you're not careful). I don't see myself drinking Stone's 16 Anniversary IPA on a regular basis, but it's certainly a substantial beer due respect and imbibing. (1,408 characters)

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.