16th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

(Beer added by: CloudStrife on 08-10-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 16th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Big off white to light yellow head slowly settles into a nice lacing above a copper honey colored beer.

Light pine and floral notes mixed with citrus hops, with some lemon aroma.

A light quick bitter bite hits with the first sip and is followed with lemony citrus, pine, and some floral like hops tastes that kind of finishes with a light caramel malt that isn't to strong.

A dryish aftertaste with some light citrus hops tastes hanging around on this solid medium bodied IPA.

A pretty decent IPA, but I think there are quite a few better IPA's waiting in store coolers that cost less. That's not saying there's anything bad about this, it's just that I think there are better IPA's like Happy Camper, and some of Stone's own stuff.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pured adarkish orange color with a moderatewhite cap, light bubbles and lcing

S: Smells pretty malty caramel coupled with lemon like Pledge wood cleaner d some tropica fruits.

T: Big caramel maltiness upfront with lemons and tropical fruits. The finish was heavy, to malty and unbalancedin the malt department.

M: Medium bodied, well carbonated

O: The worst Stone Anny since the Imperial Red

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a dark orange color with a large off-white head with decent retention. Thin lacing forms all around the glass.

S: Lots of lemon and pine, almost reminds me of lemon pine-sol. Some light citrus fruits, a little bit of spice, and faint alcohol. Overall there is a perfumy/soapy aroma that I don't really dig.

T: Interestingly, there is some candied sugar mixed in with lemon, lemon zest and a little bit of rye spice. On the finish there is a bit of grapefruit and pine.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The pine-sol aspect doesn't really do much for me.

O: Not bad, not really sure why they had to make the abv so high, I think at around 7% it would have been a little better.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff.

The beer is orange hued with a thin, white collar. The aroma brings notes of pineapple, melon, alcohol, hops, citrus. Smells both strong and inviting. The flavor is sweet and a bit syrupy, with candied tropical fruit notes. Lemon zest and spice. The aroma is far superior to the flavor. The feel is a bit sweet and oozy. A solid beer, though best in small quantities. A nice brew to bring to a tasting.

bottle split with oglmcdgl

Stone 16th pours out nice like with a bright golden look with some burnt yellow highlights. The white foam builds up to two inches and leaves some nice clings on the glass. A nice lively looking beer with retention.

Smell is ultra hoppy at this young stage, with a nice heaping of the C-Hops giving of citrus rind out the wazoo. Yes, I get the lemon essense in this along with some more tropics, not that much pine. Just a hit of some pale malt keeping things in check. A earthy grassy appeal towards the end with some alc.

And this is anice beer, too nice perhaps, Realy easy to drink with lemon, orange, mango and some faint peach. The bitterness is there yet not scorching. Lighter tropics in the middle with a twist of bubblegum leading into the semi malty finish. A all around beer.

Feel is medium bodied with some nice bubbles going for it. Lively in the mouth, a long aftertaste with some lemonheads. I could of did the whole bomber easily.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A 650 mL bottle from Finger Lakes Beverage - at the beach.

A: The super IPA is a paler amber color, still well within the specs. Lots of barely-off-white head comes along for the rich - huge and big and foamy.

S: Incredibly fragrant, sticky with flowers, citrus, and pine. In an interesting twist, mint aromas join the lemons, pineapples, and oranges. A light malty biscuit base, not too much to dwell on there. The mint, stronger in the taste when paired with lemons, is a nice touch. Call me crazy but that nose rocks.

T: The hoppiness is tropical, lush and quite strong. Very much a tree in my glass with the pine, citrus and orange flavors. Mid-sip, lemons and mint step up, adding more bitterness with a much sweeter finish - still hoppy and bitter but restrained a bit. Caramel and biscuits are here, more evident in the lulls in hoppiness that sporadically occur. It's strong and bitter, the floral and citrus aspects. I was quite taken by it.

M: Lemony and citrusy, to the nth degree. Syrupy, minty, hoppy, bitter. I picked up another one.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Clear deeply amber colored ale with a small white head. This is the color I call IPA Orange.

Smell is citrus and soap with tea scent. There is a delicate floral scent that is not obscured by the hops. The best I can describe the floral scent is roses. That said it isn't that aromatic.

Starts out semi-dry and savory without any complexities. Alcohol stings the tongue a bit. Alcohol warms the chest without really being detectable in the taste. Strong tea and wood with a little burnt sugar taste. Reasonably bitter. Honestly not that flavorful.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall I am severely disappointed. Stone can make better beer than this. I will try this again at a later date and confirm or revise my low opinion of this beer.

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer pours a clear light copper body with a matrix of microbubbles supporting a sticky beige head that last for a good bit.

S- The woody rye note has some green lemon hops that finish the aroma. There is some caramel malt notes that come thru as the beer opens.

T- A mellow green hops flavor has dark juicy and woody qualities to it with some rye and dry toasted malt leading to a dry spice finish. There is a caramel malt flavor that grows as the beer opens. The aftertaste has a touch of sweetness with woody lemon hops flavor lingering.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a gentle fizz to it with no real alcohol heat.

O- This beer has a very nice blend of malts, hops and lemon herbs that surprisingly work well together. The hops are not huge and they let the other flavors come through nicely.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA

LOOK: Orange colored brew, with good clarity. Soapy foam lasts the duration and leaves good lace. Looks like an oily, sticky IpA.

SMELL: Citrus, typically lemon and grapefruit and some pineapple notes. Pine, grass and honey round things out.

TASTE: Herbal tones are strong from lemon verbena. Oily hops and lemon influences are also well pronounced. Decent balance of sweetness, herbal qualities and bitterness. The alcohol is not very apparent in the taste.

FEEL: Full bodied, crisp carbonation. Flavor of hop, lemon and herb linger.

OVERALL: As solid as ever, stone creates another hop monster.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real aggressive head, makes three fingers and hangs on real tight without letting go, a sort of off white colored head faint tan in there. Body is a real nice crystal faint orange/ruby amber color, picking up highlights of your background quite nicely changing and stuff. Interesting and impressive.

Nose is bready malts, a good lemon citrus hop feel. Some nice brown sugar toasting. Simple and solid. Feels alright.

Palate hits with a somewhat herbal lemon, and faint sharp cough medicine, but quickly disappears into a nice hop blast and warming sugar. Body is even a little thin, and aftertaste is a little fleeting, matching some lemon warmth and mild sugars. Lingering mild lemon zest, and dry hops.

Overall the beer feels big but not too out of control, and certainly not big as it's 10% abv would indicate. Strangely doesn't feel that rye like spicy, but it tastes like a solid simple straight forward DIPA.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

I don't know. I just don't. Something in this beer is hitting me wrongly. Looks good, no question. The aroma is a bit like lemon Pledge and flowers. Maybe it's just that I expected hops. It's similar to hops, and hops are there, but the weird lemon thing....

For a base, the malt is great. A bit of spice, some caramel, but mostly it's sturdy toasted biscuit.

Feels like an IPA, abv is hidden very well. Normally a 22oz of Stone is fine. This one I shared b/c I wanted to. I don't know

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to jtd1969 for sharing this bomber.

A - orangish amber with a thin white head

S - very herbal: rosemary, thyme, lemon oil

T - lemon peel, lemon rind, rosemary, lemon oil, herbal hops

M - warming alcohol, smooth, well carbonated

I enjoyed this. I think this is very unique. I didn't get much of the pepper from the rye, but the lemon and lemon oil are very noticeable. The herbal hops that are used add a very intricate flavor and aroma. I thought the aromas were quite similar to the herbs in Saison du BUFF. This definitely earns points for creativity, style, and uniqueness. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't want more than one at a time.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, as I pick up some light lemon, dry citrus and light pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but there's more of a malt presence than I expected, and the finish is alcoholic and hot. The beer has good bitterness, but it's not enough to counter the sweet malty alcohol flavor, and I don't think the lemon flavor helps a whole lot. Mourhfeel is medium bodied with a long, bitter, alcoholic finish. Drinkability is very poor... cannot imagine trying to down an entire bomber of this beer.

While not terrible, I think this is a miss for Stone. I had a difficult time even drinking the sampler size glass I got, and drinking the beer side by side with the excellent Stone double dry hop IPA really put things into perspective. Am not impressed with this one.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle purchased as a single from somewhere localish.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" blonde head over the cloudy golden amber brew. Dense head holds on well, with plenty of lasting lace. Aroma is lime and spices.

Taste is bitter from top to bottom, as you would expect from the style and Stone. Amongst that, a sweet start, citrus in the middle, and tons of pine hops through and after the close. numbing alcohol aftereffects. Mouthfeel is reasonably smooth, but drinkability is somewhat limited for me due to the overpowering bitter. I realize that is the style, but still think it can be done with a bit more finesse, and allow more flavors to still come through.

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

22oz bottle poured into my Mad Fox glass. Amber in color with a thin, sticky head to it. It left some really nice lacing as I drank it.

The lemon verbena is immediately apparent in the aroma. It gives it a pretty strong herbal, floral, lemony flavor. I like the notes of rye and toasted malts I'm getting though. The hops seem overshadowed by the lemon verbena for me unfortunately.

The taste follows through with more of the herbal, floral, lemony flavors throughout. I get some of the hop bitterness coming out mostly in the finish. Again, I'm really liking the rye and toasted malt base, but the lemon verbena is just ruining it for me. It reminds me a little of air freshener or some type of cleaning product.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, I really didn't like the lemon verbena addition. It gave it a strong herbal and floral character that made me think of cleaning products or potpourri. I can't believe the description says the lemon is supposed to be "subtle", because that definitely wasn't my experience with it. It had did have a lot of positive things going for it, they just got overshadowed unfortunately. I'd love to try this without the lemon verbena, but with it I can't say it was a very enjoyable beer.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

8/13/2012

Bottle into a snifter.

Dark orange with good clarity and a finger of white froth. Solid retention and scattered lacing.

The nose is a blend of pine, tangerine, mango, and papaya. I detect floral and lemon character as well. Soft notes of pumpernickel linger beneath the hop aromatics. There's a light sweetness that balances the expressive hop profile, as well as a touch of alcohol.

Lower moderate sweetness in the flavor accompanying rye, toasted malt, and a dash of spiciness. The beer is moderately bitter with an insistent booziness. Firm pine resin influence meets orange flesh and pith, grapefruit rind, and a dash of tangerine. Alcohol flavor waxes as the beer warms up and I slowly drain my glass. Upper medium in body with matching carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky and dry.

A nice beer for what it is and for the ABV, but as was the case with Ruination 10th I'd rather they dropped the ABV a couple points as it's somewhat heavy on the palate and the alcohol flavor is a little too strong for my taste. Reminds me too much of an American Barleywine. I guess it's not really my type of Double IPA. Still pretty good though, and I think many will enjoy it.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz bottle
Served into a globe glass

A: Fairly clear amber copper colored body with a creamy, bubbly off-white one finger head. Lacing is pretty good as well as nice amounts of retention on the surface.

S: Big citrus hops, lemon and orange oil, sweet sugary malts. Sort of reminded me of a sugar-coated orange slice candy with touches of floral hops too.

T: More lemon and orange oil up front, almost as if this were some sort of extract; very potent. Citrus, floral and a dash of piney hops on the palate. Finish is fairly bitter into the linger.

M: Just a bit thin though it does have a nice feel and creaminess for the style. Easy drinking with a small amount of alcohol.

This was a nice beer but the oils just were a bit too much at times I felt. If those could have been dialed back a bit to let more of the rich malts and floral hops come out, this would be a big winner.

1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.