Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Reviews: 1,262 | Hads: 9,601
Reviews by ajramirez1:
4.38/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 4. 2/15/12 Enjoy By. Had this on tap initially in 12oz glass than had it in bottle poured in a snifter. Taste really good on tap, really smooth, a bit hoppy but had a good balance. For 9.4% it was really tasty. In bottle, same result, its pretty damn good and worth the hype in my opinion. Really fresh beer and so far my favorite stone beer.
Try this blitch.

3.73/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a 14oz glass at Heartbreakers in Chaska

Overall I've loved the Enjoy by series. But I feel that they are getting a little too mainstream with the taste. Some of the previous ones have been some of my favorite beers. The last two I've had have left me wanting more from this great beer company.

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz brown bottle with an obvious freshness date. 12.21.12

LOOK: Bright golden hue, towering froth

SMELL: Ruby red grapefruit, asian pear, evergreen, tobacco, fresh cut grass, lemon pith crackers, clean alcohol

TASTE: Medium bodied, smooth, a little slick, hop bitterness, warming alcohol, grassy, pithy, hop resin, guava, peppery, rose water, nutty grain, estery, long hoppy finish

Absolutely love the concept, I've have earlier versions both fresh and after their "Enjoy By" dates and the age sets in relatively quick. Impressive from start to finish, a hell of a lot of fun drinking this ale.

4.18/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle, thanks to the good doktorzee for schlepping this back from Vegas for me. Enjoy By 04.20.14 was enjoyed on 03.26.14 - that still gets me in four weeks or so under the gun (and it was bottled only 10 days ago).

This beer pours an ever so slightly hazy medium golden amber hue, with three fingers of puffy, tightly foamy, and somewhat bubbly ecru head, which leaves some blotchy streaks of soap sud lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of musty wet vegetation - ok, 'dank' - piney, leafy, and grassy, all - over-aged orange, lemon, pineapple and kiwi citrus rind, and a fairly laid-back bready, kind of crackery pale and caramel maltiness. The taste is pretty much the same, except noticeably more bitter - muggy pine resin and cones, acrid leafy notes, a citrus pith key party, some gritty, and near-overwritten bready and caramel malt, a touch of crispy biscuit, hints of tropical fruit, and the mere suggestion of metallic alcohol.

The carbonation is decently tight and frothy, the body a sturdy medium weight, and weirdly smooth, what with all that hop bitterness running around like the proverbial chicken (I'm not insinuating anything poultry-like at all about this offering). It finishes off-dry, barely, the hops stuttering just a bit, but re-setting and driving forward in no time flat.

Fresh, and yet dank, in the same physical space - wow! A five-week enjoy-by window, is ballsy, is what it is, but it does make its point about freshness and point of origin and Stone's hubris just fine. I wonder what it would be like to be able to try each successive release of this - probably, like anything, one would just get bored of it. Or not - this is one tasty, tasty DIPA, the hops large and in charge, and the near 19 proof booze significantly less 'fresh' and in your face.

4.06/5  rDev -7.7%

Another excellent batch by Stone, this one being the 2.14.15. I'd have to agree with another reviewer, the 12.26.14 and a couple others were better, the first one I tasted being so good I described it in terms that I wont repeat in public. This one looks great, clear gold, white head, beautiful herbal and citrus aroma, strong herbal taste with citrus undertones, and near palate wrecker carbonation and flavor.

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Stone enjoy by 3/14/15. Haven't had an enjoy by yet, but have had other stone beers. As usual, an excellent brew from them!

4.09/5  rDev -7%

Bottle: Poured a clear bright yellow color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention and some good lacing. Aroma of green fresh hoppy notes with light sweet notes also noticeable. Taste is dominated by floral green hoppy notes with grassy notes and residual sugar notes. Body is about average with good carbonation. Glad to finally try this and it is indeed very enjoyable.

3.34/5  rDev -24.1%

Enjoy By 11.09.12. Poured in a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass for sexiness.

This is what those in the advertising business call "Sex Appeal". This beer just looks good. Crystal clear, yellow-orange-amber in color, resting under a slightly off-white head... Yeah, this is the kind of beer that makes mouths water. I love the look of a good IPA, and this beer has got that look. If this beer was a female, I would try my best to "holla". If this beer was a painting in an art gallery, I would stare at it intensely and occasionally nod my head so everyone around me knew how much I knew about art or whatever. If this beer was a Big Mac, it would be the one in the picture and not the one you get when you order it. If this beer was a... Ok, you get my point.

There are definitely some New Zealand hops in the nose. Notes of grapes, flowers, mango, citrus, earthiness, and a smidge of everyone's favorite "cat pee" fill my nostrils. There is a deep, dank smell that reminds me of a quaint but "lived-in" basement which adds a bit of charm without being unpleasant. There's even a bit of hop spice aroma to even things out. There is a good amount of sweet malt, but there's no mistaking it - this beer is all about the hops.

Follows the nose very closely. Once again, the first thing I notice is the deep, dank, resiny hop character. There is a bit more pine on the tongue than on the nose, which at first I feared would be the dominating character. As I sip, however, more of the citrus and tropical fruit comes out. The New Zealand hops make another appearance and bring some earthy grape notes with them. As far as bitterness goes, this beer is on the medium side. Sure, it's bitter, but it's not a tongue splitter (I rhymed!). There is almost no alcohol flavor whatsoever. This beer has a ridiculous amount of hop character, and there is a slight muddling of flavors which is a tad disappointing. Overall, this beer is pretty tasty but nothing I'll be craving.

The mouthfeel really is one of the highlights of this beer. The carbonation and body are both medium, and considering the ABV this beer is not a struggle to drink. The beer coats the mouth with hop resin - the kind that kind of makes you smack your tongue for no explicable reason.

You may have noticed that a word I didn't use in this review was "bright". If you did notice this, I would say "Wow, you were really expecting me to say that word!". Anyway, many IPAs have a bright, refreshing crispness that fellas like me go nuts over. This beer, however, has a somewhat muddled flavor that makes me feel like it's more of an English IPA than an American IPA, which is crazy talk considering all the American hop flavors. That's not to say this beer is bad, because it's not at all! It's really an excellently balanced IPA, and it drinks more like 6% than 9.4% ABV. That being said, I'm drinking this beer as fresh as possible and it still has a layer of "meh". Is it worth buying? Yes, absolutely! Is it the IPA to end all IPAs? Not this time. Don't feel too bad if you missed out on this one (or if you drank it on 11.10.12 or something).

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Shane.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear pale gold body capped by a big frothy head.

Smell: Holy nelson and galaxy. The NZ hops really shine here, and they smell fantastic. There's a ton of tropical fruit here, along with gooseberry, cat piss, onion and honeysuckle. It's faintly sweet, but malt is non-existent.

Palate: Spicy, fruity, oniony. A ton of floral and gooseberry hop notes. Bit of white grape and cardamom. The body is medium-light and booze is completely hidden. The finish has a clean, pleasant bitterness.

Overall: Best Stone beer ever? Probably. This is a great use of nelson.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional IPA. Great aroma. Full of flavor from start to finish. Highly recommended. Great beer from stone.
Enjoy by 4-20-15

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

huge hop and citrus nose, taste that follows the nose. this is a big hop IPA that delivers. The appearance and feel were right there as well. One of my favorites from Stone. this was Enjoy By 12/26/14.

My all time favorite IPA or DIPA (so far). Huge mouthwatering aroma of citrus and tropical fruits with some pine. The taste will blow you away. I got strong guava flavors which is unique along other tropical flavors like pineapple and mango with fantastic bitter grapefruit citrus flavors to compliment. Nicely balanced with the malt but definitely hop heavy (which is my preference) I just don't want to stop drinking this beer. Better than Pliney in my opinion in smell taste and mouthfeel. If you see this beer, get it, and drink it fresh!

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Clear burnt orange, pretty. Still- no carbonation. White head, moderate lacing.

S: Juicy, ripe fruit, background of bitterness, some pine.

T: Wonderful smorgasbord of fruits. Orange, lemon, passionfruit, a lot of other stuff. Sweet malt, just an undertone, almost like honey or caramel. Mint/pine on the finish. Nice and juicy.

M: Light-medium body. Light prickle of carbonation.

O: My kind of IPA- lots of fruit, bitter but not cloying, highly drinkable but with high ABV. This is not just palatable, but enjoyable- is Stone relenting on the hardass destructive IPA styling? Or am I a hardass now??

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this beer on 2/15/15. One day overdue and it showed. Great but not spectacular. I'll try again next year

2.34/5  rDev -46.8%

I love this beer but something is wrong with the 2/14/15 batch. Finish is like cat pee mixed with overly astringent booze finish. I never thought I would have to pour out the second half of an Enjoy By bomber, but that's what just happened. Currently drinking a dank imperial stout, but even that isn't killing the taste of this funk. Hopefully this is just a bad batch. I am going to have to return these other two bombers.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear amber-infused golden color capped by an inch of foam that leaves some nice lacing behind

Smell: Grapefruit, pith and a hint of onion

Taste: Strong grapefruit and citrusy hop flavors, up front, with just a hint of a malt base underneath; a hint of mango and a bit of onion creep into the mid-palate, but they add an angle rather than dominate; citrusy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Glad to have snagged a bottle from the release (4/1/13) that made it to NC; really tasty and avoids the stickiness that I have encountered with some other beers brewed by Stone

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Dam before I even went to smell this beer the citrus popped me in the nose. Beer pours a lite copper in color the head quickly disappears and is off white in color. The beer smells delicious, one of the best smelling IPA's my nose has had the pleasure of meeting. IT reminds me of frolicking, through the citrus grooves of California. I have never done that but that's probably what frolicking is like. The flavor comes off as a caramel sweet orange with some tropical fruit flavors. The beer isn't a display of hoppy bitterness tearing at your enamel as much as it is a display of the softer more sensitive floral flavor and aroma of the hop.

I really enjoyed the 10-31-14. I would give it 10-31-14 a 4.5.

The 12-26-14 not so much. Missing are citrus smells. It smelled more like an wet sock with a slight hint of skunk. And the taste wasn't much better. I actually poured the 2nd half down the drain.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%

I just want to say I have been waiting quite a while to try this mother of an IPA. I need to make clear how awesome it is. I'm trying it at the end of its freshness and its just so smooth and crisp. I love this up a and all it stands for. It is right up there with Stones Ruination IPA. They have not disappointed:)

4.18/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bomber poured into a tulip. Bottle best consumed before Boxing Day. No obstacles there. Dark yellow amber with a finger and a half of creamy, slightly frothy off-white head. On the light side visually speaking. Aroma dominated by tropical fruit (pineapple, guava, mango, passion fruit), tangerine, lemon, and peaches, with a subtle pine undercurrent. There is more pine on the palate (along with a decent blast of booze), with the nose skewing fruitier, although I am still getting copious quantities of tropical nectar and peach. Slight hint of onion. Very light malts, just a tinge of toffee. Comes off as well-attenuated, with little to conceal the generous hop bill. Somewhat woody and herbal on the back end but lacks the potent green notes one can get in less refined fresh hop ales. Less body than expected for such a "big" beer, dare I say on the light side, with just the right amount of mid-range fizz. I am temped to deem this Go To IPA's big brother, although that comparison does not quite capture the nuances. Suffice to say, this is a powerful brew yet somehow sophisticated in its lack of coarse bitter notes or green off-flavors. Nothing but tropical muskiness, citrus rind, and pleasant floral alcohols to nourish the beer geek soul.

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Enjoy By 02.14.15. It was excellent. I am not generally a fan of their IPA (or the Delicious IPA) but this was fantastic and would drink again and again.

Update. 04.20.15 was also fantastic. Obviously.

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 04/01/13.Pours a clear medium golden with a large blooming white crown that is just billowing and never really comes down,it sticks like glue to the sides of the impy nonic I poured it in.Hop complexity to the hilt,resiny,piney,and the sweet onion notes abound,mild biscuit malts are noticable.Leafy and real minty hops stand out up front on the palate,again Iam getting some thin slice red onion in there,Iam guessing Summit hops used?It's fresh tasting and has your not so typical hop flavors,interesting and damn good.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.