Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Reviews by rdilauro:
4.08/5  rDev -7.9%

06/18/14 Enjoy by 07/14/14

This one was much softer than previous Enjoy bys. Wasn't as hoppy as the previous early 2014 and 2013 productions. Reminded me of the 04/13 style, but this one was even softer. I felt as if Stone also brewed this one with a muscadet or semillion wine grape because of the roundness.

03/27 Enjoy by 04/13/14

This one had a much more floral nose to it. DIdn't appear as hoppy as the 2.14.14
It was also much softer than the previous one. It did not have the orange hue to it, so I have to imagine the IBU count isnt as high.
But this is still a very enjoyable beer. Different than 2.14.14, not better no worse, just different. Mush more of a soft smoothing, slow sipping beer

02/07 Enjoy By 02.14.14

Getting better. This one had to have a higher IBU rating. There was a orange hue to the pour from this one with strong aromas of grapefruit, citrus and pine. To me, there was so much hops, that this beer was dry before I even tasted it. Dry isnt the word. Its a beer for a hop head, no question about that. This one, I would rank up there with some of the real hop head beers.
Totally enjoyable, but one flaw... Too much hop without enough to balance this one, so too much in one direction

10/16 Enjoy By 11.12.13

This by far to me has been the best enjoy by in a long time. I am a huge fan of Ruination and once I poured this one, it didn't have the same deeper color, but everything else is right there and some more
The hops came out across the room, you didn't even have to be close to the bottle. The air was filled with citrus and grapefruit. As I got closer to the glass, my senses opened up even more. The bitterness of this beer let your tongue know for sure what you were drinking but at the same time, giving you a comfortable mouthful and balance. Each sip, was more bitter than the one before, but in such a good sense.
The finish was outstanding...
I could not find anything wrong with this beer, hence, a '5' it gets

---

I couldn't wait to taste this one. I just didnt know what to expect from Stone. The pour was a nice amber reddish/golden hue with a nice frothy white head.

Then I put my nose up to the glass. U almost feel off my chair! By the smell, I was expecting the IBU count to be into the thousands, far beyond what mortals can drink.

But at the first sip, I realized that while the Hop aroma was there, almost crazy, this beer had a good amount of hoppiness, but very gentle, something you would think in the 70's

Each sip was cleaner and cleaner. Still the nose held up so very well.

The taste was crisp and clean All those hops didnt jump after your tongue. This was one enjoyable beer. I know its limited, but I gotta see if I can convince of of our guys to let another go.

rdilauro, Jun 19, 2014
4.19/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle, thanks to the good doktorzee for schlepping this back from Vegas for me. Enjoy By 04.20.14 was enjoyed on 03.26.14 - that still gets me in four weeks or so under the gun (and it was bottled only 10 days ago).

This beer pours an ever so slightly hazy medium golden amber hue, with three fingers of puffy, tightly foamy, and somewhat bubbly ecru head, which leaves some blotchy streaks of soap sud lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of musty wet vegetation - ok, 'dank' - piney, leafy, and grassy, all - over-aged orange, lemon, pineapple and kiwi citrus rind, and a fairly laid-back bready, kind of crackery pale and caramel maltiness. The taste is pretty much the same, except noticeably more bitter - muggy pine resin and cones, acrid leafy notes, a citrus pith key party, some gritty, and near-overwritten bready and caramel malt, a touch of crispy biscuit, hints of tropical fruit, and the mere suggestion of metallic alcohol.

The carbonation is decently tight and frothy, the body a sturdy medium weight, and weirdly smooth, what with all that hop bitterness running around like the proverbial chicken (I'm not insinuating anything poultry-like at all about this offering). It finishes off-dry, barely, the hops stuttering just a bit, but re-setting and driving forward in no time flat.

Fresh, and yet dank, in the same physical space - wow! A five-week enjoy-by window, is ballsy, is what it is, but it does make its point about freshness and point of origin and Stone's hubris just fine. I wonder what it would be like to be able to try each successive release of this - probably, like anything, one would just get bored of it. Or not - this is one tasty, tasty DIPA, the hops large and in charge, and the near 19 proof booze significantly less 'fresh' and in your face.

biboergosum, Mar 27, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -25.5%

Enjoy By 11.09.12. Poured in a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass for sexiness.

APPEARANCE

This is what those in the advertising business call "Sex Appeal". This beer just looks good. Crystal clear, yellow-orange-amber in color, resting under a slightly off-white head... Yeah, this is the kind of beer that makes mouths water. I love the look of a good IPA, and this beer has got that look. If this beer was a female, I would try my best to "holla". If this beer was a painting in an art gallery, I would stare at it intensely and occasionally nod my head so everyone around me knew how much I knew about art or whatever. If this beer was a Big Mac, it would be the one in the picture and not the one you get when you order it. If this beer was a... Ok, you get my point.

SMELL

There are definitely some New Zealand hops in the nose. Notes of grapes, flowers, mango, citrus, earthiness, and a smidge of everyone's favorite "cat pee" fill my nostrils. There is a deep, dank smell that reminds me of a quaint but "lived-in" basement which adds a bit of charm without being unpleasant. There's even a bit of hop spice aroma to even things out. There is a good amount of sweet malt, but there's no mistaking it - this beer is all about the hops.

TASTE

Follows the nose very closely. Once again, the first thing I notice is the deep, dank, resiny hop character. There is a bit more pine on the tongue than on the nose, which at first I feared would be the dominating character. As I sip, however, more of the citrus and tropical fruit comes out. The New Zealand hops make another appearance and bring some earthy grape notes with them. As far as bitterness goes, this beer is on the medium side. Sure, it's bitter, but it's not a tongue splitter (I rhymed!). There is almost no alcohol flavor whatsoever. This beer has a ridiculous amount of hop character, and there is a slight muddling of flavors which is a tad disappointing. Overall, this beer is pretty tasty but nothing I'll be craving.

MOUTHFEEL

The mouthfeel really is one of the highlights of this beer. The carbonation and body are both medium, and considering the ABV this beer is not a struggle to drink. The beer coats the mouth with hop resin - the kind that kind of makes you smack your tongue for no explicable reason.

OVERALL

You may have noticed that a word I didn't use in this review was "bright". If you did notice this, I would say "Wow, you were really expecting me to say that word!". Anyway, many IPAs have a bright, refreshing crispness that fellas like me go nuts over. This beer, however, has a somewhat muddled flavor that makes me feel like it's more of an English IPA than an American IPA, which is crazy talk considering all the American hop flavors. That's not to say this beer is bad, because it's not at all! It's really an excellently balanced IPA, and it drinks more like 6% than 9.4% ABV. That being said, I'm drinking this beer as fresh as possible and it still has a layer of "meh". Is it worth buying? Yes, absolutely! Is it the IPA to end all IPAs? Not this time. Don't feel too bad if you missed out on this one (or if you drank it on 11.10.12 or something).

Cheers!

MaxSpang, Oct 12, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Shane.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear pale gold body capped by a big frothy head.

Smell: Holy nelson and galaxy. The NZ hops really shine here, and they smell fantastic. There's a ton of tropical fruit here, along with gooseberry, cat piss, onion and honeysuckle. It's faintly sweet, but malt is non-existent.

Palate: Spicy, fruity, oniony. A ton of floral and gooseberry hop notes. Bit of white grape and cardamom. The body is medium-light and booze is completely hidden. The finish has a clean, pleasant bitterness.

Overall: Best Stone beer ever? Probably. This is a great use of nelson.

largadeer, Aug 25, 2012
4.46/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear amber-infused golden color capped by an inch or foam that leaves some nice lacing behind

Smell: Grapefruit, pith and a hint of onion

Taste: Strong grapefruit and citrusy hop flavors, up front, with just a hint of a malt base underneath; a bit of onion creeps into the mid-palate, but it adds an angle rather than dominates; citrusy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Glad to have snagged a bottle from the release (4/1/13) that made it to NC; really tasty and avoids the stickiness that I have encountered with some other beers brewed by Stone

brentk56, Mar 04, 2013
4.24/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 04/01/13.Pours a clear medium golden with a large blooming white crown that is just billowing and never really comes down,it sticks like glue to the sides of the impy nonic I poured it in.Hop complexity to the hilt,resiny,piney,and the sweet onion notes abound,mild biscuit malts are noticable.Leafy and real minty hops stand out up front on the palate,again Iam getting some thin slice red onion in there,Iam guessing Summit hops used?It's fresh tasting and has your not so typical hop flavors,interesting and damn good.

oberon, Mar 01, 2013

DanGeo, Jul 23, 2014

Smokesnotes, Jul 14, 2014
4.36/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gift from Johnny Ramirez. Enjoy by 12.21.12 - the "end of the year" version... Sweet! Pours a golden amber color with excellent clarity and a small white head. Decent lacing - something I've now always come to expect from Stone brews. Heavy pineapple on the nose, grapefruits, tangerines, slight lemon zest; floral hops, perfume fragrance, wet grass. Very nice - it has a "juicy" smell, the smell you'd expect from biting into a fruit. If that fruit was loaded with hop oil.

Taste is, of course, hoppy; slightly peppery, a little leafy, ashy, kind of dry. Heavy dose of malt and yeast; biscuity with some warming alcohol spice on the roof of the mouth and the back of the tongue. Over the course of the sip, the hop profile grows and expands, it starts taking on a very dank, resinous, and musty flavor and aroma. Interesting and very complex. Weedy overall, with some onion notes in the back that are kind of strange, but not necessarily off-putting, just a little strange. The malt sweetens things up a bit, and the yeast helps out too - bread, crackers on the end of the sip. As mentioned, the flavor follows right along with biting into a tropical fruit soaked in hop oil. Aftertaste is a bitter and spicy hop flavor. Thick body, sticky, wet, medium carbonation.

It's rare that I'm disappointed by Stone beers, and this one is no exception. Excellent IPA with a very complex profile - very tasty all around. In my opinion, probably the best Stone IPA I've tried. Too bad this one doesn't come to Michigan, because I'd always try to find the latest release.

tectactoe, Dec 10, 2012
4.39/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours bright crisp golden yellow. Inch or so of head. Light lacing and retention.

Very tropical. Lots of fruit and sweetness. A bit dank and heavy.

Similar to nose, although more dank and resin like. Tropical fruit dominates. Light citrus. Faint malt.

Fairly easy. Never overpowering from the bigger malt profile. Drinks easy and almost a bit light.

Never got old, booze was hidden really well. Complex.

ExtraStout, Apr 12, 2014

abeerdude, May 17, 2013

withliterature, Mar 08, 2013

Schlais, Nov 09, 2012

11.12.13

Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVED this beer. I had it on tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. The keg ran out as he was pouring it, so he tapped a new one, so I got the first pour out of a keg.

It was a dark copper, but was completely transparent, not murky like a lot of IPAs. This also was so hoppy and bitter. My girlfriend had a pint of Russian RIver Blind Pig, and when comparing the 2, Enjoy By blows BP out of the water.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys solid IPAs or DIPAs.

Very citrusy taste, extra hoppy. That's why I loved it.

xVERITAS, Oct 28, 2013

Tiernan, Dec 03, 2012
Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.