Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,248 | Hads: 9,507

11.12.13

Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVED this beer. I had it on tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. The keg ran out as he was pouring it, so he tapped a new one, so I got the first pour out of a keg.

It was a dark copper, but was completely transparent, not murky like a lot of IPAs. This also was so hoppy and bitter. My girlfriend had a pint of Russian RIver Blind Pig, and when comparing the 2, Enjoy By blows BP out of the water.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys solid IPAs or DIPAs.

Very citrusy taste, extra hoppy. That's why I loved it. (574 characters)

Batch #5 04.01.13

Appearance- Perfectly clear golden color. Two fingers of off-white, peanut color head.

Smell- Floral citrus explosion. Smells like a wet cellar (Good is this case). Grapefruit, lots of pine needles.

Taste- Punch of hops in the front and back of the tongue almost at the same time. Big grapefruit and pine in the middle. Finishes super dry with an underlying sweetness.

Mouthfeel- It hits you hard with hops and finishes dry like an IPA should, but with an underlying citrusy sweetness.

Overall- Very well balanced. The freshness is so apparent. All the flavors are so vibrant and pronounced. It feels like the flavors are wrestling in your mouth for your attention. Your mouth tingles with hoppy bitterness after. Dare I say my favorite IPA. . . so far. (780 characters)

Poured into a dogfish head IPA glass. Bottled 1/9/14 (enjoy by 2/14/14 edition).

Appearance is transparent amber, with lots of bubbles rising quickly, and a thick nearly-white head that leaves tons of sticky lace.

Smell is crazy. Mind-blowing citrus, weed, onions, resin. So many hop aromas it's staggering.

Taste is much the same - lots of candied orange, freshly-mowed onion grass (if that makes sense), flowers, and weed popping around in your mouth with equal intensity. Finish is tongue-sappingly bitter (in a good way). Aftertaste is dank, earthy, and resiny. There are so many hop flavors going on in here that I just can't even believe it. Also, after a while it gives you the most glorious hop-burps!

Mouthfeel is relatively thin, with lots of prickly bubbles - absolutely perfect for the flavor!

Overall, this is just an incredible beer. Probably my favorite-ever IPA. So happy it made it to Georgia again, and I already can't wait until next time it comes here! (977 characters)

Amazingly beautiful gold color with a solid grapefruit nose. Obviously dry hopped with motueka, one of my favorite hops. It was more resinous out of a bottle but on tap it was silky. You don't get the bitter until 3 seconds after your sip. What a solid beer. Wish this was on tap all the time. (293 characters)

My first "Enjoy By" was the 04-01-13 brew out of a bomber. It was immediant love at first sip! Hop madness straight out the bottle! Poured a golden yellow imto a standard British pint glass. The bitterness of the hops was easily disguished by an amaziing smoothness and overall drinkability not found in average IPA's.

My second, the 08-02-13 edition, was enjoyed really fresh (brewed 06-28-13'- consumed 07-01/02-13) via a growler straight from the brewery! If you ever get a chance to visit, this is a mandatory stop...but I digress. The 08-02 poured same as the 04-01 and each glass was consistent throughout. This has to be one of Stone's best!!

Third: 09-13-13 edition, 22oz bomber, not as tasty as the "straight from the brewery" taste I enjoyed in August, but still an the best IPA I've had! (801 characters)

Exceptional. One of my favorite DIPA's. Better than a much harder to find beer here in NorCal, you know which one ;). Just my opinion. This beer is perfect to me. Will buy every release. (191 characters)

This beer is everything and more ! The best word I could use to describe this beer is Dank ! It has a earthy hemp like smell and a hoppy taste that complements that wonderful aroma. (181 characters)

4.20.14 bomber poured into a tulip.

A - Clear golden color with two fingers of off-white foamy head. Retention is about 3-4 minutes. Lots of lacing down the glass.

S - I can't describe it as anything other than hop heaven. Floral and citrusy with a hint of malty sweetness.

T - Bright hop flavor up front, some malt sweetness, then a bitter, earthy, hop finish.

M - Bright and bubbly. Finishes cleanly. Not too light and not too heavy.

O - I haven't had an Enjoy By in a while, but damn this is good. (505 characters)

Look: pours a bright golden yellow with a big fluffy white head; endless amounts of lace on the glass.
Smell: pine resin, tropical fruits, chopped onion, herbal and dank hops.
Taste: sticky pine resins up front, with a strong hop bitterness. Tropical fruits dance across the palate, everything from pineapple to peach to grapefruit and mango. Sweet honey malt character balances underneath everything. Superb.
Feel: medium body, lots of carbonation, lingering aftertaste.
Overall: One of the premier DIPAs out there. (520 characters)

My all time favorite IPA or DIPA (so far). Huge mouthwatering aroma of citrus and tropical fruits with some pine. The taste will blow you away. I got strong guava flavors which is unique along other tropical flavors like pineapple and mango with fantastic bitter grapefruit citrus flavors to compliment. Nicely balanced with the malt but definitely hop heavy (which is my preference) I just don't want to stop drinking this beer. Better than Pliney in my opinion in smell taste and mouthfeel. If you see this beer, get it, and drink it fresh! (542 characters)

I've been slacking on the previous releases of Enjoy By, and haven't had a chance to Enjoy since October 2013. Just got a hold of (4) 4.20.2014 and damn was it good! More than I expected from the last time I had it. I'd say my pallet is more accustom to IPA's now and this is why I rate this beer so high. (305 characters)

How is this beer ranked BELOW their regular IPA? These rankings are insane. Anyone with a palate for good beer would agree that the Enjoy By totally blows away the regular Stone IPA.

Hell yes to this beer, lightning strikes six times! Have been back for more on 2 other occasions to my local beer store. Really did not think this would still be around, but it is. Taking advantage of the general public in my area not knowing about this. Enjoy your case of Bud Light.. See review of the first one:

I spotted an open case of these at my beer grocer. They were so new that they couldn't even find the price on them. Bottled a little more than 1 week ago from enjoying!!!

I pounced on the opportunity.

A grapefruit BOMB pervades the nostrils in a pleasant way.

Grapefruit and bitter finish, and clean.

One caveat is this: As I have enjoyed the 6 bottles over the past 2.5 weeks, yes, there is a marked difference between drinking this a week ago and now. It will never be as good as when you can drink less then a week after it was bottled.

This and the Ballast Point Sculpin IPA are the two best IPA's I have ever had. I guess the conundrum with this is once you have had these Enjoy By's, it ruins your palate for other IPA's, which is unfair. Once you have had this, it is hard to accept anything less.

Such a treat, and on a select few of perfect IPA's. (1,363 characters)

Ok people.. I'm not a huge IPA guy... I keep saying that.. but more and more I'm starting to enjoy IPA's...

Anyway... I tend to like double IPAs more than singles.

This one is GREAT!!!

The smell is pure citrus awesomeness... and it is one of the clearest beers I have ever seen.. pretty amazing.

WOW!!!!

The hops bitterness is there at the end, but it is smooth bitterness if that makes sense.. and so much lovely grapefruit.. man I love this beer. I'm going to go buy another one tomorrow... period.

This is just a great beer and anytime it hits Texas from now on, I am all in.... drinking it fresh and drinking it often when I can. (640 characters)

What can I say? Perfect Pilsner-like color* For those who would argue that it should be more appropriately copper colored... *The first officially designated American craft brewed IPA was Grant’s, and it contained Pilsener malts of this golden hue. The nose is an exquisite melange of grapefruit, Mandarin orange, tangerine, pinapple, mango, kiwi, and lemon/lime. The flavors follow suit, and the body is medium to full with just the right amount of malt backbone which is more of a textural thing, in this case, than a flavor enhancer. The hops are given free reign to truly shine here. The balance is nearly flawless, right through the long, dry finish which is crisp, and remarkably refreshing. Wow! (704 characters)

Poured from a 1PT 6FL OZ bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy By 09.20.14 IPA (bottled on: 08.16.14 per website - this is indeed "devastatingly fresh" at just over three weeks old!)

Appearance: Pours a clear bright pale body with a nice white head. Significant lacing.

Smell: Bright citrusy wonderful. Even the bottle cap had a fantastic aroma.

Taste: One of the better, if not best tasting IPAs I have ever tasted. If indeed this recipe hasn't changed over time, then I think all of the major players (and favorites) are there: Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy? Stone has hit all of the high notes for me. This is fantastic!!

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth, no complaints.

Overall: I hate giving a beer a perfect 5, and don't think I have ever done so thus far, but this could possibly be the best tasting beer I have ever tasted. This is my first time trying this beer and I always thought of it as kind of gimmicky or more of a sarcastic marketing response to the beer nerd community. More than anything though, this is a fantastically crafted, amazingly tasting Double IPA. It has a huge burst of tropical hop flavor and is not overly bitter. I could drink this all day! (1,200 characters)

Enjoyed this in a side by side taste test with a Pliny. First time I have had either of these beers.

Poured a lovely dark golden hue with a thick creamy pale head in a Spigelau IPA glass. Aroma was very citrus hop forward and sweet in nature. A little alcohol in the nose. Very aggressive nose.

First sip was bitter with a huge hop hit. Citrus, pine, spice, almost spicy hotness with the hop hit. Followed by a large dose of alcohol with a slight malt backbone. Crisp finish though most likely due to the alcohol. Felt like I was hit with a hop hammer, but I liked it!

Ultimately, I love a beer that challenges my senses and this one does. For my tastes a bit more in my wheelhouse than Pliny. Both great beers, but if I had to choose one forever it would be Enjoy By! (781 characters)

Enjoyed multiple versions, and always buy any one that I can find. Enjoy By 4-20-2014 was the best batch.

A - Orange hue, slightly off-white head that hangs around like a well hung bull.
S - Fantasticly fresh, everybit of a grapefruit, citrusy, lemony aroma that lingers like a bad hangover. Except every bit of this smell was well taken.
T - Impressive malt backbone from a brewery that seems to skimp out on that aspect with IPA's and favor the over-usage (but welcomed) of hops. Great balance.
M - Creamy, almost as if they used oats within the grain bill but the brew is exceptionally clear, so that didnt happen. Perfectly carbonated.
O - Among the other festivities that usually take place on 4/20 this was by far the most memorable... I think. Can stand up to the very best in the IIPA world. (800 characters)

Had this yesterday (12/27/14) at J. Ryans in Syracuse. Yes, a day beyond the enjoy by date, but don't fret, still awesome. Ripe, juicy and dank would be it. Nuff said. (170 characters)

Citrusy and floral hops. Sweet beer and surprisingly light for a 9.4% beer. This can be enjoyed all year. Dear God this beer is so damn good. Wish I could get a case of it. (172 characters)

First review: t'was (currently tipsy, felling pretentious) an excellent demonstration of flavor 'complexity'... Swish it in your mouth and taste the changes! This is one of those that changes with temperature, and has an evolving aftertaste. 6th batch was indeedly a treat; smelled and tasted herbal... Basil/rosemary/other garden thangs. I'm wondering if there is any legitimacy to the drink by date-or just newly minted marketing majors making a stamp on the craftbeer scene. I'm visiting the northeast this weekend, but wish it were available back in Lousiana where I'm working. Strong work Stone. (600 characters)

I was so excited to see a local bottle shop, Vino Rosso in Idaho Falls got a keg of Enjoy by 9-13-13! They had it posted on a sandwich board out side the shop that said "Get it while you can!!!!". I was actually off the day I had it and was just swinging by the office to pick up my paycheck and take it to the bank,which is right by the bottle shop,how convenient! It was heaven in a glass!!! Nice and stinky,looked just perfect,color,carb,lacing... and it was a taste explosion. Hop bomb delight!!!! This is the first beer I have ever given a 5 to. I swore I didn't think there was a 5 out there,there is,this is it!!! Went back the next night with my built in designated driver(my wife) and enjoyed a few more! If this beer has and equal or one is ever brewed I hope the good lord sees it fit to have it find it's way to my lips...It is the holy grail of beers as far as I am concerned!!! (891 characters)

Bought a six pack of 5.16.14 Enjoy by IPA from a local Bevmo and made a beeline home to crack them open.

Look: An absolutely beautiful beer, the color is 24k liquid gold with a crystal clear, glimmering clarity and thick, creamy white head that leaves an afterparty of white confetti lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: It's an IPA! Aromas of crackers, toasted corn, and sweet malt desperately try to escape the delightfully oppressive superpower bouquet of grapefruit, pine, and cannabis. Truly one of the best IPAs I've had the pleasure of holding to this nose.

Taste: Sweet baby jesus, this was an amazing IPA. This beer is definitely best for the hop lovers out there as it is less than gentle with the hop bitterness (according to the girlfriend) though it still manages to be extremely balanced and drinkable. This bottle is Christmas in Hawaii in beer form. Tastes like a tropical Christmas tree with the usual DIPA citrus-pine smell characterized by grapefruit and tropical fruits.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, huge body, lengthy finish, what else do you want me to say? It feels as good as it tastes, and it tastes great. It manages to be creamy and refreshing at the same time.

Overall: How have I never had this beer before? I'm a hop head that lives walking distance from Stone Brewery and am ashamed to say I skipped over this beer for almost a year before finally deciding to try a bottle. This is without a doubt the best double IPA I've had and is sure to please any that consider themselves hop heads. STOP READING AND GO GET SOME (1,561 characters)

Growler by the fire on this unusual 39F night in SC.

A - crystal clear, golden yellow with just a hint of orange hue, nice white head and subsequent lacing

S - pine, citrus, orange blossom, lemon, tropical/juicy fruit gum

T - resin, pine, vanilla, SC sweet tea, rose petals, broiled grapefruit with carmelized sugar on top, pineapple

M - uncannily mellow for the ETOH level, balanced, perfectly appropriate carbonation

O - what more can be said...how can one mark points off on this beauty? (495 characters)

This is my review for the Enjoy By 12 21 12, on draught.

This beer is my favorite of the moment. Tremendously tasty.

This pours a warm glowing-amber golden in color with thin foam & lacing that lingers around for the long haul. Great aroma, full of orange citrus and marmalade, some tangerine, a bit of pine. It’s pleasing & hoppy, big & vibrant, fresh smelling and full of gobs of hops.

Tastes amazing—the flavor is layers of hop heaven with a bitter bite at the end of each sip. There’s pine and citrus and tangerine and orange and grass and an underlying dankness which I just love.

There’s enough of a malt profile to hold up to the hoppy assault with a light toasted biscuit note that emerges as it warms. Holds up as a sipper but its also an easy drinker and hides the ABV well. (798 characters)

A - Pours to the color of apple juice, forms a nice finger of white creamy head, leaves nice soapy lacing on the walls of my glass.
S - Mangos, apricots, oranges, tangerines, pineapple, grapefruit and hops, hops and hops. T - Lightly sweet oranges, pineapple and grapefruit upfront with a bitter hop twist at the end to round it off. Strangely, a very welcoming but incredibly faint smokiness develops at the end. Extremely balanced, refreshing and sessionable IPA.
O - A damned good IPA you must try if you can get your hands on it.
V - Medium. (548 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.