2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Enjoy By IPAEnjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,493 | Reviews: 923 | Show All Ratings:
elNopalero

This is my review for the Enjoy By 12 21 12, on draught.

This beer is my favorite of the moment. Tremendously tasty.

This pours a warm glowing-amber golden in color with thin foam & lacing that lingers around for the long haul. Great aroma, full of orange citrus and marmalade, some tangerine, a bit of pine. It’s pleasing & hoppy, big & vibrant, fresh smelling and full of gobs of hops.

Tastes amazing—the flavor is layers of hop heaven with a bitter bite at the end of each sip. There’s pine and citrus and tangerine and orange and grass and an underlying dankness which I just love.

There’s enough of a malt profile to hold up to the hoppy assault with a light toasted biscuit note that emerges as it warms. Holds up as a sipper but its also an easy drinker and hides the ABV well.

11-28-2012 22:44:17 | More by elNopalero
WSGosset

A: This is a gorgeous beer. Crystal clear, light copper in color. Pours with about a half a finger's worth of head featuring nice tight bubbles.

S: Hits the nose almost immediately. I could smell this all day long. Seriously. So fresh, so floral. I'm finding that the bitterness of the hops comes out over the course of the beer.

T: This is not as bitter as you might guess given the aroma. I think this is probably a good think. If this beer were as bitter as it is aromatic, it would be overwhelmingly. There is, however, a bitter aftertaste which seems to build progressively.

M: Smooth with a medium-to-full body. Goes down very easily.

O: This might just be my perfect beer. What more could you hope for from a classic West Coast IPA? It is not as balanced as PtE, but at that point we're comparing ridiculously good apples to ridiculously good oranges.

01-26-2013 00:23:48 | More by WSGosset
HiltonHeadMike

South Carolina

Growler by the fire on this unusual 39F night in SC.

A - crystal clear, golden yellow with just a hint of orange hue, nice white head and subsequent lacing

S - pine, citrus, orange blossom, lemon, tropical/juicy fruit gum

T - resin, pine, vanilla, SC sweet tea, rose petals, broiled grapefruit with carmelized sugar on top, pineapple

M - uncannily mellow for the ETOH level, balanced, perfectly appropriate carbonation

O - what more can be said...how can one mark points off on this beauty?

03-05-2013 01:54:32 | More by HiltonHeadMike
Ford

Ok people.. I'm not a huge IPA guy... I keep saying that.. but more and more I'm starting to enjoy IPA's...

Anyway... I tend to like double IPAs more than singles.

This one is GREAT!!!

The smell is pure citrus awesomeness... and it is one of the clearest beers I have ever seen.. pretty amazing.

WOW!!!!

The hops bitterness is there at the end, but it is smooth bitterness if that makes sense.. and so much lovely grapefruit.. man I love this beer. I'm going to go buy another one tomorrow... period.

This is just a great beer and anytime it hits Texas from now on, I am all in.... drinking it fresh and drinking it often when I can.

03-07-2013 02:36:33 | More by Ford
TheRougeBastard

My first "Enjoy By" was the 04-01-13 brew out of a bomber. It was immediant love at first sip! Hop madness straight out the bottle! Poured a golden yellow imto a standard British pint glass. The bitterness of the hops was easily disguished by an amaziing smoothness and overall drinkability not found in average IPA's.

My second, the 08-02-13 edition, was enjoyed really fresh (brewed 06-28-13'- consumed 07-01/02-13) via a growler straight from the brewery! If you ever get a chance to visit, this is a mandatory stop...but I digress. The 08-02 poured same as the 04-01 and each glass was consistent throughout. This has to be one of Stone's best!!

Third: 09-13-13 edition, 22oz bomber, not as tasty as the "straight from the brewery" taste I enjoyed in August, but still an the best IPA I've had!

03-11-2013 01:15:13 | More by TheRougeBastard
Flashyspoons

First review: t'was (currently tipsy, felling pretentious) an excellent demonstration of flavor 'complexity'... Swish it in your mouth and taste the changes! This is one of those that changes with temperature, and has an evolving aftertaste. 6th batch was indeedly a treat; smelled and tasted herbal... Basil/rosemary/other garden thangs. I'm wondering if there is any legitimacy to the drink by date-or just newly minted marketing majors making a stamp on the craftbeer scene. I'm visiting the northeast this weekend, but wish it were available back in Lousiana where I'm working. Strong work Stone.

03-17-2013 00:15:17 | More by Flashyspoons
RyFikes

Batch #5 04.01.13

Appearance- Perfectly clear golden color. Two fingers of off-white, peanut color head.

Smell- Floral citrus explosion. Smells like a wet cellar (Good is this case). Grapefruit, lots of pine needles.

Taste- Punch of hops in the front and back of the tongue almost at the same time. Big grapefruit and pine in the middle. Finishes super dry with an underlying sweetness.

Mouthfeel- It hits you hard with hops and finishes dry like an IPA should, but with an underlying citrusy sweetness.

Overall- Very well balanced. The freshness is so apparent. All the flavors are so vibrant and pronounced. It feels like the flavors are wrestling in your mouth for your attention. Your mouth tingles with hoppy bitterness after. Dare I say my favorite IPA. . . so far.

03-21-2013 16:42:13 | More by RyFikes
Beerlover

Ipa cant get any better than this! at least not to my knowledge. this is THE BEST ipa i've ever had, stone does it again, idk what the i.b.u.s are on this one but it has to be close to 130 or more i'd guess. the aroma is heavenly, i wish i could get a car air freshener that smelled exactly like this.
the carbonation is perfect, the taste is indescribable and the after taste just leaves me craving my next gulp! the most pleasant thing about this beer is that despite the alchohol % and i.b.u. this beer is sooo BALANCED.... its unbelievable. perfectly balanced. i had the 7th batch (enjoy by 5-17-13) keep more comming to MN stone!

05-14-2013 02:55:23 | More by Beerlover
ILoveIPA

Move over Pliny, there's a new Sheriff in town. This is the freshest beer I have ever tasted. It is exactly what an IPA should be. It has a massive hop smell that hits you right in the face and does not let up one bit in the mouth. This tastes like liquid heaven for a fan of hops. The alcohol is very present, but that is no reason to apologize. This beer is not for the weak of mouth. The appearance is also amazing. This is probably the best looking beer I have ever seen in my glass. Get some!

06-10-2013 02:11:41 | More by ILoveIPA
Impfan

Washington

What can I say? Perfect Pilsner-like color* For those who would argue that it should be more appropriately copper colored... *The first officially designated American craft brewed IPA was Grant’s, and it contained Pilsener malts of this golden hue. The nose is an exquisite melange of grapefruit, Mandarin orange, tangerine, pinapple, mango, kiwi, and lemon/lime. The flavors follow suit, and the body is medium to full with just the right amount of malt backbone which is more of a textural thing, in this case, than a flavor enhancer. The hops are given free reign to truly shine here. The balance is nearly flawless, right through the long, dry finish which is crisp, and remarkably refreshing. Wow!

06-18-2013 22:03:57 | More by Impfan
IDABEERGUY

Idaho

I was so excited to see a local bottle shop, Vino Rosso in Idaho Falls got a keg of Enjoy by 9-13-13! They had it posted on a sandwich board out side the shop that said "Get it while you can!!!!". I was actually off the day I had it and was just swinging by the office to pick up my paycheck and take it to the bank,which is right by the bottle shop,how convenient! It was heaven in a glass!!! Nice and stinky,looked just perfect,color,carb,lacing... and it was a taste explosion. Hop bomb delight!!!! This is the first beer I have ever given a 5 to. I swore I didn't think there was a 5 out there,there is,this is it!!! Went back the next night with my built in designated driver(my wife) and enjoyed a few more! If this beer has and equal or one is ever brewed I hope the good lord sees it fit to have it find it's way to my lips...It is the holy grail of beers as far as I am concerned!!!

09-03-2013 20:07:46 | More by IDABEERGUY
xVERITAS

Colorado

11.12.13

Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVED this beer. I had it on tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. The keg ran out as he was pouring it, so he tapped a new one, so I got the first pour out of a keg.

It was a dark copper, but was completely transparent, not murky like a lot of IPAs. This also was so hoppy and bitter. My girlfriend had a pint of Russian RIver Blind Pig, and when comparing the 2, Enjoy By blows BP out of the water.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys solid IPAs or DIPAs.

Very citrusy taste, extra hoppy. That's why I loved it.

10-28-2013 01:20:46 | More by xVERITAS
bball208

Perhaps my top 3 in IPAs. If this were the only beer left on this planet, I'd be fine.

Pours a orangy golden with one finger of head. Classic example of an IPA.

The moment I took the cap off the bottle, I could smell the aroma of this beauty. I got a LOT of papaya, maybe 80% papaya, 10% pineapple, 10% orange/grapefruit. Just spectacular, juicy, and tropical smelling.

The taste was the smell, plus malt, more sweetness, and more hoppiness. Very well balanced, and I got absolutely zero alcohol on the taste. VERY well made, and now I see what the hype is all about.

Overall, I base my opinion on whether or not I would buy the beer again, so I take into account the price, taste, and availability. A bomber for $10 that is hard to find, to me, is a steal for this type of beer. Phenomenal!

02-11-2014 14:19:52 | More by bball208
mattyjatz

I've been slacking on the previous releases of Enjoy By, and haven't had a chance to Enjoy since October 2013. Just got a hold of (4) 4.20.2014 and damn was it good! More than I expected from the last time I had it. I'd say my pallet is more accustom to IPA's now and this is why I rate this beer so high.

03-26-2014 00:15:19 | More by mattyjatz
smanders

Purchased at Total Wine for <$9.00 USD for a 22oz bomber; unbelievable! Poured into a British-style imperial pint glass.

A: Crystal clear with a cotton candy foam head. Beautiful!

S: What is one of the best scents in the world for you? Yes, that's what this beer smells like!

T: Remember the first time your hop-head self enjoyed a real I.P.A.? Want to relive that moment? If yes, buy this beer. The bitterness and citrus flavors are spot on; I wouldn't change a thing about this beer. So smooth, yet so flavorful/complex/fresh. Awesome!

M: Perfect

Overall: I am so disappointed I only bought one bottle. I actually looked at real estate in Escondido today in an effort to live closer to this brewery. Thanks Stone; this beer is awesome!

03-28-2014 20:36:41 | More by smanders
FocusDave

4.20.14 bomber poured into a tulip.

A - Clear golden color with two fingers of off-white foamy head. Retention is about 3-4 minutes. Lots of lacing down the glass.

S - I can't describe it as anything other than hop heaven. Floral and citrusy with a hint of malty sweetness.

T - Bright hop flavor up front, some malt sweetness, then a bitter, earthy, hop finish.

M - Bright and bubbly. Finishes cleanly. Not too light and not too heavy.

O - I haven't had an Enjoy By in a while, but damn this is good.

04-06-2014 00:15:39 | More by FocusDave
LarryK

4.99/5  rDev +12.6%

Have had the 9/21/12, 11/09/2012, 12/21/2012, 4/1/2013 and 5/17/2013 iterations of this world-class DIPA, and they've all been near-flawless. While , from what I understand, the recipe has stayed mostly the same (though I'm sure some tweaks have been made with each batch), I would call out the 9/21, 12/21 and 5/17 as standouts.

Appearance: If "DIPA orange" had a dictionary entry; Enjoy By would accompany the photo.

Smell: A citrus, pine, grapefruit, mango, lemon, orange explosion.

Taste: The quintessential west-coast double IPA. While buying bombers is fun, if you see this on tap, order as many rounds as you can imbibe. Taste is a citrus assault with a perfect, west-coast dry finish. The malt backbone is there, but there's little sugar to be had here -- the 11(!) hop varietals are the star of the show.

Mouthfeel: Quite drinkable for a 9.4% DIPA, medium-body.

Overall: The “Enjoy By” conceit is not only a genius marketing plan — “this beer is brewed not to last!” as if it will turn into toxic sludge on its past-due date — it’s also a clarion call and challenge to brewers, distributors and retailers alike. To other brewers, the challenge is simple: let’s see you brew a beer this good, and also ensure that your enjoy by date is easy to find and not hidden behind a seemingly random code of letters and numbers or not present at all. To distributors and retailers it’s a little more difficult: do you have the stones (no pun intended) to do the right thing and remove a product from the shelves after its enjoy-by date and eat the loss? Given this beer’s extraordinary popularity, I can’t imagine there have been any bombers left come the sell-by date, although as Stone continues to perfect the logistics of this experiment it seems like a reasonable assumption that the beer will eventually become available more regularly and distributed in more locations, perhaps presenting a tough decision for shopkeepers in the near future. Either way, continuing to educate the consumer on the importance of beer freshness by bringing the issue front-and-center should only further enhance craft drinkers’ overall enjoyment

To wrap-up this already long-winded review, Stone is of course one of the world's foremost brewers of IPAs across the board in any style, and this beer fulfills the promise of the freshest, most enjoyable DIPA you could hope for and then some. A truly phenomenal, world-class beer.

09-20-2012 21:36:09 | More by LarryK
alk3kenny

Georgia

4.99/5  rDev +12.6%

pours a crystal orange color nice head. Smells amazing hops citrus pine mmmm mmmm taste is of pine, orange, just enough bitterness on the tongue without killing the palate... abv is well hidden no booze no burn just a great balanced dipa... Will enjoy by any time I can get it...

01-17-2014 03:08:45 | More by alk3kenny
paultierney1

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

This Northwest Ohioan was lucky enough to get his hands on a super-hard-to-get bomber of "Enjoy By 11/9/12" from my connec. Shared it with my best bud and both of our eyebrows shot up as we first smelled it and then tasted it.

I'm a hophead and prefer the DIPA style. This brew was so dank, earthy, and composty -- way beyond pine and grapefruit! I've never had anything like it. I desperately tried to get my hands on more of it, but no luck.

The hype is not hype. If you like hops, do yourself a big favor and try this one if you can find it. All I can do is hope that Stone is going to meet the market on this one and not just let the buzz flow.

Added on March 15, 2013: Found more or the 4.1.13 in both NW Ohio and at Green's in Greenville, SC. Wow! Lucky me. California: the Midwest gives up.

11-18-2012 18:51:38 | More by paultierney1
Celtics76

Rhode Island

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

On 12/16, with 5 days to spare I was finally able to give this a shot. Most anticipated beer of 2012. Enjoyed during Pats-Niners. What a game.

While I was pouring into a Sierra Nevada balloon glass, the first thing I noticed was the powerful aroma. Extremely piney and Christmas tree-like. How appropriate. It's transparent gold in color, with a half inch of head that quickly reduces to a thin, somewhat bubbly foam.

Like the aroma, the pine flavor slams the taste buds and doesn't let up. There's also some grapefruit notes but it's very subtle. There's an excellent hop bite as well - like most well made, fresh DIPAs, I feel like I could chew on the hops - Founder's Harvest is another example of this phenomenon. Despite this, the hop presence is well balanced and lingers after every sip. Also of note is a higher than normal sweetness to the flavor - I didn't mind but it could be a turnoff to some.

What's not to like? All the elements of a great DIPA are here, and it's done to perfection. All this plus at 9.4% ABV, which is scarily well hidden.

I will always be on the lookout for this one. The Pat's may have lost, but I still consider myself a winner.

12-17-2012 18:04:52 | More by Celtics76
bcheng

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Enjoy By 09-13-13: My second tasting of this fantastic DIPA . Great hoppy, pine aroma, balance and you can truly taste the freshness. The alcohol is a bit high, but to me, the bottle is just the right amount for personal consumption. But, the price went up at our local wine store... I hope it's not going to get more expensive so I can hord a bunch of these without breaking my bank.

Enjoy By 05-17-13: What a nice IPA, crisp, perfect for a Spring day evening. Not technical, but just a note to say I enjoyed the beer. I'm surprised to find it in the local wine store, but they had a couple of cases that came in yesterday (unannounced, of course), so I grabbed a case and will finish it by the date. High ABV, so my score may be skewed.

04-21-2013 00:57:58 | More by bcheng
bnes09

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Gorgeous lemon-orange color brew with exceptional clarity and a few, tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Solid finger and a half of egg-white head retreats to a thin film which remains for the rest of the drink and leaves behind small spots on the glass.

Bright, brilliant, fresh and unparalleled aroma. Lemon and orange zest, grapefruit, pine needles, juicy mango, ripe tropical fruits, honey and fresh cut grass.

The flavor delivers what it promises. This is by far the freshest IPA I have ever tasted. I love how the malt character is subtle with white and rye bread tones. This allows the hop flavors to come through full force with lemon rind, grapefruit, pine, and mild detergent. Leaf, oil and resin bitterness battle against a midwestern IPA tropical sweetness of mangos and tangerines. Absolutely perfect balance for a beer of this strength and complexity.

Mouthfeel: again, flawless! Perfect medium body, lighter than most DIPA's and this adds to the flavor. Oily at first then dry from middle to end. Crisp, dry finish leaves your palate begging for more. Perfectly carbonated.

This is more than a beer; it is a work of art. Such aggressive flavors yet such perfect balance and light, crisp, refreshing feel. I could drink this all day if it wasn't 9.4% abv. I love the combination of Midwest and West coast hop flavors. I also love the fresh IPA concept and if the name hadn't caught my eye, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Well-done.

04-25-2013 20:25:38 | More by bnes09
welldigger888

South Carolina

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

The latest version 13 days out from brewery! Awesome job on the logistics! Fresh DIPA from the west coast = AMAZING! Wonderful honey hued DIPA that makes my head spin. Huge snow white rocky head that lingers, leaVING AMPLE LACING DOWN GLASS.

An amazing aroma that sends one off in to a fog of self discovery!!!! Oh my the hops are intoxicating! Citrus piney tropical fruit bliss!!!!

The flavors are nothing short of the aromas, These folk, and I am a Koch, know how to do it. Fruity citrus tropical pine resin bliss!!!

Full to medium full bodied elixer that has already started to BOOGIE WOOGIE on my brain.

OOHFAH!!! this is where it is at man!!!

04-27-2013 00:48:17 | More by welldigger888
gatorlove

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 16 oz pint glass
A: Nothing really special, poured a nice golden-pale color with around .25" of head and left behind some nice lacing.
S: Very aromatic, luscious tropical fruits and grapefruits, but with a strong hop bite. I love smelling this beer.
T: Initial strong hop flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it out. And then the tropical fruits come in. I got some juicy pineapple flavors and oodles of grapefruit.
M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Somehow i could not taste the 9.4 abv at all.
O: My favorite beer I have ever tried. I had high expectations going in and it exceeded those expectations. It was so perfectly balanced, I was in heaven

11-02-2013 16:37:47 | More by gatorlove
MasterfulIdiot

Georgia

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into a dogfish head IPA glass. Bottled 1/9/14 (enjoy by 2/14/14 edition).

Appearance is transparent amber, with lots of bubbles rising quickly, and a thick nearly-white head that leaves tons of sticky lace.

Smell is crazy. Mind-blowing citrus, weed, onions, resin. So many hop aromas it's staggering.

Taste is much the same - lots of candied orange, freshly-mowed onion grass (if that makes sense), flowers, and weed popping around in your mouth with equal intensity. Finish is tongue-sappingly bitter (in a good way). Aftertaste is dank, earthy, and resiny. There are so many hop flavors going on in here that I just can't even believe it. Also, after a while it gives you the most glorious hop-burps!

Mouthfeel is relatively thin, with lots of prickly bubbles - absolutely perfect for the flavor!

Overall, this is just an incredible beer. Probably my favorite-ever IPA. So happy it made it to Georgia again, and I already can't wait until next time it comes here!

01-21-2014 01:24:51 | More by MasterfulIdiot
Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.