Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,254 | Hads: 9,546

A - Pours to the color of apple juice, forms a nice finger of white creamy head, leaves nice soapy lacing on the walls of my glass.
S - Mangos, apricots, oranges, tangerines, pineapple, grapefruit and hops, hops and hops. T - Lightly sweet oranges, pineapple and grapefruit upfront with a bitter hop twist at the end to round it off. Strangely, a very welcoming but incredibly faint smokiness develops at the end. Extremely balanced, refreshing and sessionable IPA.
O - A damned good IPA you must try if you can get your hands on it.
V - Medium. (548 characters)

I had the Enjoy By 4.20.15 about 2 weeks after it was bottled - WOW...what an amazing beer. Amazing west coast IPA smell: danky, piney and fruity. A very pungent aroma that leaps out of the glass. The taste lives up to the smell- a perfect balance of dank, tropical fruit and pine needles. There is a gumminess on the aftertaste that, along with the grapefruit, pushes the bitterness away. The only knock I had was that it's just a little boozy on the back end. I can't wait to try the next Enjoy By. (500 characters)

Purchased at Total Wine for <$9.00 USD for a 22oz bomber; unbelievable! Poured into a British-style imperial pint glass.

A: Crystal clear with a cotton candy foam head. Beautiful!

S: What is one of the best scents in the world for you? Yes, that's what this beer smells like!

T: Remember the first time your hop-head self enjoyed a real I.P.A.? Want to relive that moment? If yes, buy this beer. The bitterness and citrus flavors are spot on; I wouldn't change a thing about this beer. So smooth, yet so flavorful/complex/fresh. Awesome!

M: Perfect

Overall: I am so disappointed I only bought one bottle. I actually looked at real estate in Escondido today in an effort to live closer to this brewery. Thanks Stone; this beer is awesome! (745 characters)

I can't say anything negative about this beer, so I had to give it a perfect rating. It's clean and crisp on the nose and the palate. Perfect IPA taste and smell. A beautiful golden, slightly orange color to it. I poured it into an IPA glass very slowly so there wasn't much head but it bubbled around the edges nicely and stayed the whole time I drank it. For a 9.4%, there's no alcohol taste so it really creeps up on you. Fantastic beer. Hoping to get another pint before 7/14/14 (482 characters)

Stone's Enjoy By IPA is like an experience one would have with a virgin and her first exploration into coitus. It is one to savor, and not too pound.

This is my favorite DIPA, and one to savor.

Complex, but inviting tropical aromas pervade the nostrils.

Taste is bitter with the notes following through.

This is one of the best DIPA's out there. (349 characters)

Move over Pliny, there's a new Sheriff in town. This is the freshest beer I have ever tasted. It is exactly what an IPA should be. It has a massive hop smell that hits you right in the face and does not let up one bit in the mouth. This tastes like liquid heaven for a fan of hops. The alcohol is very present, but that is no reason to apologize. This beer is not for the weak of mouth. The appearance is also amazing. This is probably the best looking beer I have ever seen in my glass. Get some! (497 characters)

Enjoy By 10.31.14 Poured into a cognac snifter. It pours a rich darker orange color that is fairly clear. There is very little head on an agressive pour and it dissipated by the time I got my computer booted.

Immediately there is a large amount of grapefruit on the nose. A great deal of ascerbic/citrusy scent comes up after that. I only can tell the faintest amount of alcohol which is quite impressive with a 9.4%. I would describe the smell as delicate compared to other DIPAs I have had.

The taste is just wonderful. It is supremely balanced and very easy drinking despite its high ABV and what I would imagine is a high IBU count. It's like drinking sweetened grapefruit juice with almost no sense of the alcohol. As it warms up it only gets better, and its one of the few DIPAs I have had that taste great both warm and fresh out of the refrigerator.

The mouthfeel is a prolonged sense of grapefruit on the back of the mouth. It is very pleasent. Usually my issue with DIPAs is that they can be very bitter on the way out, but this mouthfeel is like after drinking orange Gatorade: smooth and completely pleasurable.

This is ranks up with the best DIPA's I have ever had. This is my second bottle, and I plan to get another couple if I can find them in the next week. The price is also quite reasonable, and for an ale that I would probably take over Permanent Funeral. It is well worth the price. This beer could not be made any better. (1,449 characters)

Huge hype for this brew and I went to 4 different liquor stores looking for this coveted nectar. Awesome graphic on the bottle and the premise of a drink by date only 30 days from bottle seems extreme. I was a little hesitant about the drinking only 2 weeks from the brew date but I had to give it a shot.

A - Beautiful golden- light orange color. Vibrantly clear with perfect fine white head with moderate lacing.

S - Very strong hop fragrance with tons of citrus fruit and every hop smell you would ever want all packed into one glass. Could smell it as I opened the bottle. Like a grownups candy it makes your mouth water.

T - Huge hop flavor with a full fruit hop character with citrus, tropical fruits, some pine, and dank resin hops to round out one of the most bold beers I've ever had. If you like citrus flavored hops by the bucket full this is a great beer. There is some malt and but almost no alcohol but it's all masked by the hop explosion on your taste buds. The bitterness seems clean and precise without detracting from the flavors. This is clearly a hops showcase.

M - Medium mouth-feel with perfect carbonation. Basically only the hops sit on the tongue but some how it isn't too much and I kept wanting to drink more.

Overall, probably one of the top 5 beers I've ever had. Great aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. This brew is perfect for every hop head out there. This beer went down fast and it put me to sleep even faster. It's a limited release so you've got to get lucky to get a taste.

Glass- Stein (1,575 characters)

Ipa cant get any better than this! at least not to my knowledge. this is THE BEST ipa i've ever had, stone does it again, idk what the i.b.u.s are on this one but it has to be close to 130 or more i'd guess. the aroma is heavenly, i wish i could get a car air freshener that smelled exactly like this.
the carbonation is perfect, the taste is indescribable and the after taste just leaves me craving my next gulp! the most pleasant thing about this beer is that despite the alchohol % and i.b.u. this beer is sooo BALANCED.... its unbelievable. perfectly balanced. i had the 7th batch (enjoy by 5-17-13) keep more comming to MN stone! (636 characters)

A: This is a gorgeous beer. Crystal clear, light copper in color. Pours with about a half a finger's worth of head featuring nice tight bubbles.

S: Hits the nose almost immediately. I could smell this all day long. Seriously. So fresh, so floral. I'm finding that the bitterness of the hops comes out over the course of the beer.

T: This is not as bitter as you might guess given the aroma. I think this is probably a good think. If this beer were as bitter as it is aromatic, it would be overwhelmingly. There is, however, a bitter aftertaste which seems to build progressively.

M: Smooth with a medium-to-full body. Goes down very easily.

O: This might just be my perfect beer. What more could you hope for from a classic West Coast IPA? It is not as balanced as PtE, but at that point we're comparing ridiculously good apples to ridiculously good oranges. (862 characters)

A DIPA that absolutely gets it right. Too many just don't have strong enough hop flavors and the malt ends up taking over, making them more like a hoppy barleywine. Enjoy By brings the huge, dank hop smells and flavors that unmistakably put this in IPA territory. Also appreciate the novel way to focus unavoidably on freshness through the prominent date on the bottle. (374 characters)

Lately I have been getting a little obsessive about my beer being fresh. So when I heard about a beer that was made for very limited window like this one I knew I had to try it... 22oz bought from total wine on 4-2-15

Pours a light brown golden body with a fluffy white one inch head that lasts. Thin lacing all the way down the glass. Cool painted bottle.(yeah I know the bottle doesn't factor in, but it's still kind of cool.)

Smell is outstanding !! Really vibrant grapefruit and pine. This is fresh.

Tastes like it smells.The citrus is out in front with this one. Heavy on tart grapefruit with just a little pine bitterness

Nice full feel

Overall this may have been one of the best citrus forward IPA's that I have ever had !
Freshness really does make a difference ! There is a vibrancy to this beer that the freshness brings. And the 9.4 ABV ? Oh Yeah ! These folks at Stone Brewing are a bunch of mad scientists that "get it " . If you are looking for the living embodiment of the phrase "respect beer, look at this one. (1,040 characters)

Perhaps my top 3 in IPAs. If this were the only beer left on this planet, I'd be fine.

Pours a orangy golden with one finger of head. Classic example of an IPA.

The moment I took the cap off the bottle, I could smell the aroma of this beauty. I got a LOT of papaya, maybe 80% papaya, 10% pineapple, 10% orange/grapefruit. Just spectacular, juicy, and tropical smelling.

The taste was the smell, plus malt, more sweetness, and more hoppiness. Very well balanced, and I got absolutely zero alcohol on the taste. VERY well made, and now I see what the hype is all about.

Overall, I base my opinion on whether or not I would buy the beer again, so I take into account the price, taste, and availability. A bomber for $10 that is hard to find, to me, is a steal for this type of beer. Phenomenal! (798 characters)

This is by far and away the best double IPA...or any IPA for that matter, I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I won't go in to too much detail on this one because it was several weeks ago when I enjoyed this beer. Furthermore, how can one describe in words what they believe to be a perfect beer?

This brew struck the balance between a hefty, complex, flavor profile and an extremely refreshing and clean finishing experience. Both the aroma and flavor was, obviously, hoppy - citrus, floral, pine. It was all there. A very delicious beer. An adventure that I will seek to replicate for the rest of my life and most likely never will. (640 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +13.2%

This is the benchmark for all IPAs in my opinion. It has everything going for it: dank hops, sweet malt, great mouth feel, and 9.4% ABV. What more could you possibly want from an IPA? (185 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +13.2%

pours a crystal orange color nice head. Smells amazing hops citrus pine mmmm mmmm taste is of pine, orange, just enough bitterness on the tongue without killing the palate... abv is well hidden no booze no burn just a great balanced dipa... Will enjoy by any time I can get it... (279 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +13.2%

Have had the 9/21/12, 11/09/2012, 12/21/2012, 4/1/2013 and 5/17/2013 iterations of this world-class DIPA, and they've all been near-flawless. While , from what I understand, the recipe has stayed mostly the same (though I'm sure some tweaks have been made with each batch), I would call out the 9/21, 12/21 and 5/17 as standouts.

Appearance: If "DIPA orange" had a dictionary entry; Enjoy By would accompany the photo.

Smell: A citrus, pine, grapefruit, mango, lemon, orange explosion.

Taste: The quintessential west-coast double IPA. While buying bombers is fun, if you see this on tap, order as many rounds as you can imbibe. Taste is a citrus assault with a perfect, west-coast dry finish. The malt backbone is there, but there's little sugar to be had here -- the 11(!) hop varietals are the star of the show.

Mouthfeel: Quite drinkable for a 9.4% DIPA, medium-body.

Overall: The “Enjoy By” conceit is not only a genius marketing plan — “this beer is brewed not to last!” as if it will turn into toxic sludge on its past-due date — it’s also a clarion call and challenge to brewers, distributors and retailers alike. To other brewers, the challenge is simple: let’s see you brew a beer this good, and also ensure that your enjoy by date is easy to find and not hidden behind a seemingly random code of letters and numbers or not present at all. To distributors and retailers it’s a little more difficult: do you have the stones (no pun intended) to do the right thing and remove a product from the shelves after its enjoy-by date and eat the loss? Given this beer’s extraordinary popularity, I can’t imagine there have been any bombers left come the sell-by date, although as Stone continues to perfect the logistics of this experiment it seems like a reasonable assumption that the beer will eventually become available more regularly and distributed in more locations, perhaps presenting a tough decision for shopkeepers in the near future. Either way, continuing to educate the consumer on the importance of beer freshness by bringing the issue front-and-center should only further enhance craft drinkers’ overall enjoyment

To wrap-up this already long-winded review, Stone is of course one of the world's foremost brewers of IPAs across the board in any style, and this beer fulfills the promise of the freshest, most enjoyable DIPA you could hope for and then some. A truly phenomenal, world-class beer. (2,444 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Great looking beer and the smell is like a bunch of IPA's rolled into one. I'm getting tropical fruits, berries, flowery a bit of that onion and grassy smell. NIce bite up front evolving into a slightly boozy, big hop bomb. Every smell is in the flavor leaving that tongue scrubbing bitterness and some warmth from the 9.4. I love how Stone has no reservations and just serves up a huge double IPA with a take no prisoners attitude. Not for a person that just wants to have session beers. This ones huge! (505 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Enjoy By 09-13-13: My second tasting of this fantastic DIPA . Great hoppy, pine aroma, balance and you can truly taste the freshness. The alcohol is a bit high, but to me, the bottle is just the right amount for personal consumption. But, the price went up at our local wine store... I hope it's not going to get more expensive so I can hord a bunch of these without breaking my bank.

Enjoy By 05-17-13: What a nice IPA, crisp, perfect for a Spring day evening. Not technical, but just a note to say I enjoyed the beer. I'm surprised to find it in the local wine store, but they had a couple of cases that came in yesterday (unannounced, of course), so I grabbed a case and will finish it by the date. High ABV, so my score may be skewed. (739 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Enjoy By 07.04.14 (Bottled on 05.30.14 and consumed on 6.21.14) into a 16oz Libbey Munique elongated tulip glass.

A- Poured an ever-so-slight hazy golden with a solid 1+ finger worth of a creamy, white head...as it is consumed, the lacing is really attractive. (5.0)

S- A commingling of sweet citrus (tangerine, ruby red grapefruit) and stone/tropical fruit (apricot, mango, papaya) along with a dank and piney 'herbaciousness' all bounce from the glass...the balance of all those elements are what makes this such a classic. (5.0)

T- Sweet malt hits first followed by healthy dose of tropical fruits found in the nose. The finish is a dual assault of citrus rind followed by an undercurrent of a resiny pine quality...classic Stone finish. (4.75)

M- Carbonation is just enough to create a nice head and open the palate to get those flavors to infiltrate the palate to create an exceptional experience. (4.75)

O- Kudos to Stone delivering this beer into the market as distant as VT within 1 week of its bottling. That is an immense testament to their commitment, enthusiasm and influence in the market to prove their point. I have now tasted various iterations of this beer at 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months and post 90 days...although it is a delicious offering at any time, I am now a convert of enjoying this as fresh as possible since the tropical fruit notes sing the loudest and blend the best with the herbal notes. Time will accentuate the garlic/onion qualities that are only muted as a young beer. (5.0) (1,523 characters)

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 16 oz pint glass
A: Nothing really special, poured a nice golden-pale color with around .25" of head and left behind some nice lacing.
S: Very aromatic, luscious tropical fruits and grapefruits, but with a strong hop bite. I love smelling this beer.
T: Initial strong hop flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it out. And then the tropical fruits come in. I got some juicy pineapple flavors and oodles of grapefruit.
M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Somehow i could not taste the 9.4 abv at all.
O: My favorite beer I have ever tried. I had high expectations going in and it exceeded those expectations. It was so perfectly balanced, I was in heaven (709 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

This Northwest Ohioan was lucky enough to get his hands on a super-hard-to-get bomber of "Enjoy By 11/9/12" from my connec. Shared it with my best bud and both of our eyebrows shot up as we first smelled it and then tasted it.

I'm a hophead and prefer the DIPA style. This brew was so dank, earthy, and composty -- way beyond pine and grapefruit! I've never had anything like it. I desperately tried to get my hands on more of it, but no luck.

The hype is not hype. If you like hops, do yourself a big favor and try this one if you can find it. All I can do is hope that Stone is going to meet the market on this one and not just let the buzz flow.

Added on March 15, 2013: Found more or the 4.1.13 in both NW Ohio and at Green's in Greenville, SC. Wow! Lucky me. California: the Midwest gives up. (804 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Gorgeous lemon-orange color brew with exceptional clarity and a few, tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Solid finger and a half of egg-white head retreats to a thin film which remains for the rest of the drink and leaves behind small spots on the glass.

Bright, brilliant, fresh and unparalleled aroma. Lemon and orange zest, grapefruit, pine needles, juicy mango, ripe tropical fruits, honey and fresh cut grass.

The flavor delivers what it promises. This is by far the freshest IPA I have ever tasted. I love how the malt character is subtle with white and rye bread tones. This allows the hop flavors to come through full force with lemon rind, grapefruit, pine, and mild detergent. Leaf, oil and resin bitterness battle against a midwestern IPA tropical sweetness of mangos and tangerines. Absolutely perfect balance for a beer of this strength and complexity.

Mouthfeel: again, flawless! Perfect medium body, lighter than most DIPA's and this adds to the flavor. Oily at first then dry from middle to end. Crisp, dry finish leaves your palate begging for more. Perfectly carbonated.

This is more than a beer; it is a work of art. Such aggressive flavors yet such perfect balance and light, crisp, refreshing feel. I could drink this all day if it wasn't 9.4% abv. I love the combination of Midwest and West coast hop flavors. I also love the fresh IPA concept and if the name hadn't caught my eye, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Well-done. (1,454 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

The latest version 13 days out from brewery! Awesome job on the logistics! Fresh DIPA from the west coast = AMAZING! Wonderful honey hued DIPA that makes my head spin. Huge snow white rocky head that lingers, leaVING AMPLE LACING DOWN GLASS.

An amazing aroma that sends one off in to a fog of self discovery!!!! Oh my the hops are intoxicating! Citrus piney tropical fruit bliss!!!!

The flavors are nothing short of the aromas, These folk, and I am a Koch, know how to do it. Fruity citrus tropical pine resin bliss!!!

Full to medium full bodied elixer that has already started to BOOGIE WOOGIE on my brain.

OOHFAH!!! this is where it is at man!!! (651 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

Stone Enjoy By 04.01.13 IPA: Pours hazy gold color with bubbles racing up the middle and a very nice 2 finger foamy off white head that was full of tiny bubbles which dissipated slowly, leaving good foamy lacing and rings as it went down. A good looking head, better from a growler than the bottle. The lacing always coats the sides and looks great as it goes down no matter the source (tap or bomber).

Wow, the hops aroma jumps out and smells very fresh up front; the smell is a combo of piney hops, citrus like pineapple, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit and orange peel, biscuit, tobacco, herbs and floral hops. The citrus hops smell like the oil was squeezed out of this, and while it’s hop dominant and extremely fresh smelling, there is just enough grainy and caramel balance to make this outstanding. Later whiffs seem to have mint and tea leaf, like a crazy hop potpourri.

Taste is lip-smackingly good. Even though it starts off bitter and herbal, as the flavor washes over your tongue it seems to coat the tastebuds with resinous hop oil like a napalm bombing just laying down the hop attack. This is very much like the nose, but more complex, with fresh piney hops, citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, tangerine, orange peel, coriander, mint, tea leaf, biscuit, tobacco, roasted grains, pepper, grass, herbs and other light spices, floral hops, some candy or brown sugar sweetness, earthy notes and very mild alcohol which is basically covered up by the piney and citrus hops. The malt comes through, but the feel is odd as it’s dry and slightly bitter with a textured herbal feel to it. Very hoppy, but not obnoxious hoppy, it was surprisingly easy to drink with the 9.4% ABV.

Mouthfeel is on the slick side, with a medium almost chewy body, a grainy or herbal feel like the liquid is thicker than it looks, and a slightly bitter and yet dry finish. How a hopped up IPA can end so clean is a masterful brewing trick and the drinkability just may be the most impressive part of this brew considering the ABV.

Overall this was as good as I hoped it would be and I hope they keep making these “Enjoy By…” beers and shipping them to NY so we can be treated to such beer excellence. This beer is up there with some of the all time greats from Stone. If you read this review then get your ass out to a beer distributor nearby that might have some and buy a bottle now.

NOTE: A week after having the bottle of this masterpiece I was able to get my hands on a growler, which I shared with my brothers. We all agreed that the aroma was better and fresher out of the growler, with the hops giving off strong oily notes, and while the flavor had more alcohol bite to it, overall it was just as good and maybe even better on tap/from a growler. Complex, fresh and extremely hoppy, this was outstanding.

SECOND NOTE: 5/7/13 had Stone Enjoy By 05.17.13 on tap at the Lark in East Northport, NY: pours cloudy orange gold with a very nice 2 finger foamy white head that faded slowly, leaving good foamy lacing and rings as it went down. Amazing grapefruit, mango, floral and citrus hop nose that is perfectly balanced with the malty backbone that has nice hints of caramel. Tastes as good as the 04.01.13, with strong grapefruit, lemon, orange peel, pineapple, citrus hops, pine cone/piney hops, tangerine, lightly roasted grains, fresh juicy hops and then a malty caramel backbone to allow for the ultimate smooth drinkability that completely hides the ABV - this is a masterpiece, almost DIPA perfection and up there with some of the best ever.

THIRD NOTE: 10/29/13 had Stone Enjoy By 11.12.13 on tap at Sapsuckers in Huntington; like the versions before this it was near perfection. It was fresh and crisp and poured with a great head and excellent lacing, so the rating/review went up overall.

ROUND FOUR: Had Stone Enjoy By 02.14.14 on tap at The Lark again and this batch had a lot more pronounced grapefruit and what seems like mint or very dry floral/herbal hops; it was very tasty and full of fresh hop flavor still, but it just seemed different from the other versions. Looks and smells great and was just as easy to drink, once again masterfully hiding the ABV.

ROUND FIVE: Had 04.20.14 on tap at The Lark and once again it was delicious. Looks great, fine sticky lacing leaving rings, huge grapefruit and juicy hop nose and of course a ridiculously tasty hop bomb that's full of citrus, grapefruit and dank resinous hop juice like hops were squeezed out if the cones from a vice. This shit is awesome!!

GROUPIE ROUND: Enjoy By 07.04.14 bomber; after trying this for the past year I can conclude that this is one of the best beers ever made. Need to try Pliney The Younger and Double Sunshine IPA in hopes of having something better, but besides Heady Topper I've never had a fresher tasting DIPA that was smooth and ridiculously easy to drink with great balance, fresh complicated hop/citrus flavors and a nose so wonderful. This always delivers, one of the all time greats. (5,007 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.