Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,248 | Hads: 9,501
4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

Had one 6 weeks ago and saved one for 07-04-14. Used a Troegs HopBack glass because I couldn't find my Sam Adams or Dogfish glasses. Best beer I have had in a long time. Amazing nose... hoppy, citrus, resinous, other stuff going on. Bursting with flavor from the first sip BUT not so hoppy that it isn't balanced and refreshing. Would not think it was 9.4% ABV if it didn't say so on the bottle. Wish I had bought more than 2 bottles.... (437 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

Aroma is amazing. Very Hoppy, fresh, and straight up dank. Mouth follows with even fresher tasting hops and crisp delicious bomb. One of my favorite beers ever. (161 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

(First ever public beer review.. apologies in advance!)

Use by 9.13.13
bottled 8/9, enjoyed 8/23

Appearance- Lovely amber color. Nice, thick, lingering foamy head.

Smell- citrusy floral scent, pine undertones, strong grapefruit when inhaled deeply, vaguely sweet in a pleasingly heavy way. Memory stirring, puts me in mind of summer and honeysuckle bushes.

Taste- Beautiful. Very dry with a strong hoppy tang, yet smooth. Somewhat tart but with a slight sweetness, like a hint of honey with citrus. Alcohol is noticeable, but not in an unpleasant way. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, but not too dense. Fills your mouth and washes pleasantly over the tongue, leaving a nice lingering tingle.

Overall- Love it. This is an amazing taste that hits all my happy places for an IPA. SOOO glad I was able to get my hands on these. Definitely worth the hype. Wish I had been able to get more than two! (910 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Based on the 08.02.13 batch. Poured a gorgeous clear amber, with a half finger white head. It looks fantastic poured into a tulip. Scents of pine, citrus, especially grapefruit, pineapple, slight tropical fruit and a bit of malt. The scent is fantastic and entices you to drink. Each sniff made me want to take the first sip more and more. Flavor begins with a burst of bitter citrus and grapefruit pith moving into a blend of grapefruit and bitter pine and finishing with a nice resiny pine flavor and aftertaste. A hint of malt sweetness in the middle blends wonderfully with the hop flavors and a noticeable alcohol presence hits at the end. An amazing double IPA flavor profile, comparing favorably with the best of the others of it's style I've tasted. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. It's standard, but not bad. A sublime double IPA. Full of hop flavor, with an extreme bitterness and citrus flavors. It slams your palette with it's assertive flavor and doesn't relent. Well worth getting, a fantastic beer and a great showing from Stone. (1,066 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Seems right the dankest IPA they have made so far is set for 4:20, it also happens to be my birthday and there have been two before, each having a significant date for myself as the enjoy by - this is the third I've had and I'll be damned if it doesn't follow the third time charm (not to say the first two weren't awesome).

A: Pours a foamy sloth that keeps its creamy head, but dissipates into a crystal clear golden straw color. There's a few rising streams of tiny bubbles, and it looks oh so inviting.
S: Ho lord I cant wait to try this, it smells like passion fruit and pineapple with slight tangerine. I'd say Nelson Savin is in there, along with some other New Zealand hops, the sexy lupulins that they are.

T: Holy damn, there is so much hoppiness and boozyness laying on you all at once that it smacks you - but in a sexy bad girl way. The malts are clearly here as a necessity because they are surely not the life of the party. There is so much boozyness in this that it tastes like it was spiked with vodka or Sake - but, it does serve to peel the layer of hoppy stickiness that comes with it. It's like eating a chocolate lava cake, the richness or sweetness alone would be too much, but with the balance of the two extremes - it's got you thinking seconds. Those tropical hop notes really do come out in a way that mellows everything back to being on a Caribbean island drinking fresh squeezed juice from local fruit bounty - if those fruits also had obscene amounts of alcohol in them.

M: This is a full body DIPA through a trifecta, maybe even a quadfecta. The FG needed to balance the booziness give physical body while the limited carbonation doesn't pull any tricks trying to mask the heftiness. Then there's the alcohol tang which lets you know this isn't a game, you could equate it to a heavily spiked glass of jungle juice kinda feel. Lastly, the hopiness sticks to your tongue until the next sip utilizes the booziness to wash away that dose, only to be replaced by the newest gulps worth.

O: It's a full circle beer that hop heads will enjoy the whole way through, from opening and admiring, the first waft, each individual sip, to the final drop. This is absolutely one of the most pinnacle IPA's, let alone DIPA's, I have ever had the pleasure of coming across. It's intense and out on a mission, and that mission is to show just what a DIPA can be and do - and be it it does. Grade - 97

Beware though, this one is not for the faint of heart - Cheers! (2,501 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Pour = Clear,Clear, Clear. Light, rusty orange. Half a finger head. tons of streaming bubbles
Smell = Dank, resiny, onion, garlic, grapefruit, orange. In all the right amounts
Taste = Delicious, thats all I can say. Follows the nose, bitter, dry, refreshing!
Overall = So glad I got to try this. Hops at their finest. I ussually like the fruitier hop bombs, but from the grassy, earthy, dank side of the hop field, this is about as good as it gets! (448 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +12%

Enjoy By 12-21-12! A welcome new addition to Houston. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. Pours a transparent golden orange color- not much head. Smell- PINEY goodness. Some citrus elements as well. This aroma is world class- I get some buttery sweetness (honey?) behind the pine aroma. Guessing Simcoe was a key dry hop used here. The citrus aroma is orange rind. Smells terrific. Taste- the fresh piney hops pop off my tongue, followed by a mildly sweet (not syrupy) honey backbone, finished by a lasting and delicious bitter piney finish. In my book, this is an absolutely delicious and world class Imperial IPA. Up there with the best on them. For the ABV, there is absolutely no hint of it being 9.4%, esp because the backbone doesn't have that bruising sweetness that you normally expect to achieve that ABV. The piney hops are delicious. Really think this is wonderful, significantly better than Ruination 10 in my book. (928 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +12%

This is one of my favorites, ever since I have had it. A great DIPA/IIPA. Something about the first sip always turns me off a little bit, maybe that is done on purpose. After that it is nothing but sweet and blissfully harmony. When I see these at the store (and the date occurs in the future) I generally buy all the bottles I can. (336 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +12%

Unbelievably fresh, aromatic, and deliciously balanced IPA befitting the ratings it's received here. I'm looking forward to trying it on draft soon. The notes of fruit are apparent immediately and the finish is undeniably smooth. Up there with Heady Topper with my favorite IPA so far. (285 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

A-A nice golden color with low carbonation. A very clear pour.
S- It has a nice balance of pine and citrus aromas> Smells clean.
T- For a taste it has a wonderful full flavor of hops to begin, then it follows with a clean finish just as the nose does. The bitterness lingers for a moment and then leaves your palate begging for more.
M-The mouthfeel is slightly full bodied but the finish cleans it all up. Carbonation is low but still apparent. One of the best balanced IIPAs I can remember.
O- Overall I love this IPA. I could drink this baby a hundred times before it expires. Good fucking job. (600 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Fantastic IPA! Great aroma and color as soon as you tap it! Had the privilege of enjoying it on tap at the Craft Ale House in Limerick, PA. This beer rivals Pliny The Elder or Firestone Double Jack IPA. Great citrus from the first sip and great hops throughout with a good malty finish. This is a top flight beer! (313 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Got a growler at the Whole Foods in Addison, TX. Nice.

A: Nice golden amber color appealing to the eye.

S: Piney, hoppy, and yeast / bread like aroma. Not much fruit, but very clean and fresh smell.

T: Smooth balance between bitter and sweet. Great flavor of a caramel malt.

M: Clean and fresh mouthfeel. Crisp tasting.

O: Great beer. Thanks Stone. (356 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Enjoy by 12. 26.14. Been sought after for a few months now after trying most of stones regular releases and reading more and more about this one. Finally found one available in my home town (without an expired date! Chill bumps upon noticing in the cooler!) although if I find another tomorrow( as today on Christmas the store is closed) , I will buy another and drink right before i CANT enjoy by!! have very high hopes and I can say..... This beer is magnificent! Beer is an understatement. From the smell to the Taste this fills all the gaps that other iPas lack, and I didn't even know they were lacking until I endured this HOP /FLAVOR explosion.I wouldn't even say it is bitter like most iPas as the bitterness is full flavor until it completely fades from your taste buds. It has completely ruined my palate as I have read from others.. This beer sets the bar for all iPas for me at this point. And with an abv in the 9's I'm blown away more like 6's by taste. If u drink iPas regularly do not pass this up you will not regret it!! Can't wait to find another!! Cheers, Kevin. (1,087 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

Stone continues it's roll. This innovative release program rewards those who keep it fresh,and move it quick. After all the videos and how too's I finally get my hands on a fresh specimen today. Having enjoyed, very much I may add, the Ruination Anniversary as a youngster, and thought the 16th was OK I really had no idea what I was about to fall into. This pours a pale copper, the cap is dense, white and recedes rather quickly. My first inclination that I'm into something special is when I bring my tulip to my nose. Seriously, the most intensly aromatic nose I have ever enjoyed from Stone. Very Alpine Nelson meets KRBC Citra nose, totally intoxifying. It just gets better as the flavors fall in line with the nose delivering sweet mango, tangerine, lemon, orange and white pepper notes. There is a beautiful bitter blast from the enormous hop bill, just enough malt to keep it all in balance, remember this is totally a west coast variation, so were talking hops, dry and fruity. The mouth is dry, clean and utterly refreshing, there is absolutely no detection of the 9+ abv lurking underneath the entire package. Gains complexity as it warms and never is hot. This would be Stones biggest seller by a land slide if made available year round. If you can find a fresh bottle now do what you have to, it's that good. (1,322 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

Enjoy by 12.21.12. Consumed today.

A: A clear golden pour with a small head and minimal lacing.

S: Incredible tropical fruits and citrus - lots of mango, passionfruit and red ruby grapefruit as well as some pine needles.

T: Wow! Like the nose, the beer tastes tropical/citrusy with a nice malt backbone. Pine needles again make their presence known.

M: Medium-oily with a piny, dry long-lasting finish. Beer is a tad less than medium carbonated in my opinion.

O: A SUPER DIPA in my opinion. Tastes better than Pliny and I hope Stone makes this a regular offering. Grab one while they last. (596 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

4:20:15 bomber into pint glass.

Yum I don't know what else to say.
Real bitter, dank and great, if you enjoy big in your face IPA's you will probably love it. Arguably the best beer I've ever had. (199 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

This was the 11.12.13 vintage. Beautiful pour from a growler with a nice head. One of my favorite things when sipping this was the smell each time I put the glass near my mouth.
I have a weakness for Stone beer and consider them probably the best brewery out there. But this double IPA was as smooth tasting as if not more than the other Stone Beers I have enjoyed. Factor in that is 9.5 ABV but you do not taste the alchohol makes this a rare treat. If you have a chance to get this fresh beer, jump on it.
Please note that the 4.75 on overall instead of 5 is only due to the cost.
But hey you have to spoil yourself every now and then. (638 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

A classic representation of west coast ipa, but fresh for an east coast guy.

Importantly, my beer colleague who is a stout maven ( usually bourbon barrel or coffee) liked it.

He was able to cross over because of the beauty of this fresh, floral, settling beer.

Being an ipa nut, I found this exceptional and can't wait for next iteration. (343 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

On 12/16, with 5 days to spare I was finally able to give this a shot. Most anticipated beer of 2012. Enjoyed during Pats-Niners. What a game.

While I was pouring into a Sierra Nevada balloon glass, the first thing I noticed was the powerful aroma. Extremely piney and Christmas tree-like. How appropriate. It's transparent gold in color, with a half inch of head that quickly reduces to a thin, somewhat bubbly foam.

Like the aroma, the pine flavor slams the taste buds and doesn't let up. There's also some grapefruit notes but it's very subtle. There's an excellent hop bite as well - like most well made, fresh DIPAs, I feel like I could chew on the hops - Founder's Harvest is another example of this phenomenon. Despite this, the hop presence is well balanced and lingers after every sip. Also of note is a higher than normal sweetness to the flavor - I didn't mind but it could be a turnoff to some.

What's not to like? All the elements of a great DIPA are here, and it's done to perfection. All this plus at 9.4% ABV, which is scarily well hidden.

I will always be on the lookout for this one. The Pat's may have lost, but I still consider myself a winner. (1,168 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed a 4.01.13 version. Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz. bomber.

A - Beautiful golden/light copper color, crystal clear, nice carbonation, decent head. Lots of lacing.

S - Best part! Very hoppy, grassy, some spice. Makes you want to drink slowly and savor every scent.

T - Hoppy and piny, some initial sweetness. Still developing my palate but as such I can still say this is one of the best-tasting IPAs I've had.

M - Not light but not terribly heavy. Smooth and highly drinkable.

Overall - Easily the best IPA I've had. Pick some up if you get a chance. The local liquor store limits these to 1 per customer due to scarcity--now I understand why. (661 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had the first release in 12oz. bottles 4/20-really enjoyed. Tried it in the 22 oz. and was a little disappointed(compared to the 12 oz.) Ive always enjoyed this beer but the 12oz. seemed to really capture the hop aroma and flavor. We won't talk about the price though-ridiculous (278 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious. I don't believe that an overall "perfect" beer exists. But this is pretty close. Holds up to the Pliny the Elder everyone is so high on. In my opinion I'd take Enjoy By over the Pliny any day. The fact that it's dated makes it easy to know you're getting a freshly made batch. If you haven't tried Enjoy By you're missing out. (348 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

bottled 10/4/13, enjoy by 11/12/13. Purchased on vacation at Poseidon's Pantry Gourmet on Chincoteague Island, VA.

Crystal clear light gold to orange with a strong 2 1/2 finger off white head. Amazingly thick, clingy lacing. Carbonation is evident.

Very fresh hugely hoppy aroma. Very herbal. Grapefruit and peel, pine and freshly cut wild herbs like homeopathic medicinals. It smells healthy.

Bitter homeopathics and grapefruit peel repeated and elevated compared to the aroma. Slight taste of alcohol early on. A fleeting hint of almost cinnamon in the back of the mouth. As the beer warms, the bitter characteristics mellow out and the sweet malts blend with the hops to mimic a tropical fruit punch.

Medium thick, not quite creamy. Peppery with light syrup. Very warming.

Incredible aroma and taste. My favorite double IPA ever. Even better than Firestone Double Jack.

(880 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Poured into a tulip glass with a copper orange color with a white head.

S- Loads of hops citrus and grapefruit with pines.

T- The taste is very similar to the scent of this beer. Lots of hops citrus and grapefruit pines.

M- Good carbonation pretty smooth, hops on the palate.

O- Overall this is by far my favorite IPA or double IPA quite possibly my favorite beer overall. (381 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the best beer I have had since I started to get into craft beers. I have always loved skunky beers and this beer has tremendous hoppy flavor, but it also has a piney slightly skunky flavor. I've had Pliny the Elder and I think this beer has an edge on it. (263 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.