Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
DoubleJ

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

This review will be for the version with the 11.09.12 date. We're going 22 ounces split multiple ways on a Sunday afternoon. On to the beer:

The pour yields a beer which is a lighter gold, looking most resemblent to the color of cider. A small head is formed on top, and a few spots of lace are left on the glass. I figuered that the nose would say hops, cuz this is Stone and it's an IPA, but I wasn't expecting this. HOPS!! Fruity, delectable hops. I haven't looked into the hop bill of this recipe, but I want to say New Zealand hops are the majority in this one. Big fruit salad notes, also big on canteloupe, pine, passionfruit, and mango. This could be good.

For a beer with 9.4%, this beer seems much lighter than that, yet retains all the good flavor of such a strong beer. The alcohol is hidden extremely well, and flavors similar in the nose are coming out in full force in the taste; passionfruit, orange, canteloupe, sweet varieties of tropical fruits. And for such a hoppy beer, it's not bitter at all. The beer's body is medium-full, with a very smooth texture and appealing finish.

Where did this come from? And where was I in California when this was released? I was exteremly impressed with Stone on this creation. Time to set the clock when the next version will be released...

10-20-2012 02:11:30 | More by DoubleJ
bryangb

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottled about 12 days ago. Smell is beautiful and everything I want in a double IPA. Pine, grass, citrus, lemon, very small hints of alcohol. Taste is similar to how it smells. Opens with the piney/grassy taste, citrus fruit hits and finishes with a slight pear flavor. Very minimal alcohol flavor here. Very well hidden. This is my favorite beer and is my #1 recommended. Find it. It's worth it

01-20-2014 22:17:00 | More by bryangb
sideshowrob

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Had this at GABF back in October. From multiple sources, all on draft.

Its been a few years since Ive had Pliney the Younger, but that was the last beer I can remember that had such an aggressive nose-full of wonderful hop aroma. From a foot away you can smell fresh pine tree in a glass.

The taste is equally epic. We had this alongside Pliney the Younger (wonderful things happen at GABF). I know its an unfair comparison, but wow was EB over-the top in hops and piney mouth feel by comparison. Just a huge beer for hopheads.

Nice appearance. Superb beer. Wish i had one right now.

12-26-2012 22:56:53 | More by sideshowrob
Sheppard

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an IPA glass.

A - The beer is a lighter, transparent gold.

S - tropical fruity notes, some citrus.

T - nearly full flavored sweetness up front that is followed by a bittery and resiny aftertaste. A nice dry finish. It hides the booze well for a 9.4% beer.

M - Not overly aggressive on the taste buds, but a very pleasant, drinkable double IPA with a very nice dry, bitter aftertaste.

O - Enjoy By is one of my favorite IPAs. It isn't the hop symphony that a beer like Heady Topper is, but Enjoy By really hits the hop appetite. I'm more of a bitter, dry tasting IPA guy, and Enjoy By certainly falls under this category. For me, it hits all the spots.

05-07-2013 04:25:33 | More by Sheppard
WesM63

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle 11-09-12 into a tulip.

A: Pours a clear golden orange with a 1finger off white head. Minimal retention with fair amounts lacing.

S: Smells of huge amounts of earthy spicy resinous pine.

T: Close to the nose. Huge spicy, earthy, resinous pine up front. Evolves into sweet bubblegum and malt. Fair amounts of bitterness throughout.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Overall this is an amazing DIPA. Threw me for a loop, at the smell I was expecting that spicy resin hop, mid taste it evolves into this amazing bubblegum sweetness. I applaud Stone for this delicious brew and idea on drinking super fresh beer.

10-15-2012 00:40:59 | More by WesM63
twizzard

4.86/5  rDev +9.7%

I've heard others descripe this as 'juicy'...now I know what they meant. Beautiful aroma of citrus and pear. Perfectly balanced. A nice smooth mouth feel that only accentuates the malty sweetness on the back of the palate. A 'must have' in these waning days of summer.

08-28-2013 21:34:18 | More by twizzard
brurevu

4.86/5  rDev +9.7%

It poured a nice golden hue with a subdued white head. The aroma of hops jumped out of the bottle with fruity citrus notes, a bit of pine and even the dank hops I know and love. There are obviously a lot of hops which is to be expected from a Stone IPA, but they were handled very well. Loads and loads, but balanced so as not to give you the bitter beer face or palate wrecking experience of some IPAs. There were tropical fruits and citrus on the front end with the pine bitterness coming through on the back leaving a nice bitter coating on your palate. All of these great hop flavors were riding a danky hoppiness that held it all together. The Enjoy By IPA really handled the hops with a more delicate balance. One of my all time favorite IPAs.

09-11-2013 16:51:30 | More by brurevu
ChrisMyhre

4.86/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a stemmed wineglass from the 22 oz. bottle.

a: Orange/ light copper,2 finger head without much lacing.

s: Floral, citrus one of the best smelling beers I've had.

t: Citrusy but also a little piney and balanced. Nice bitterness, magnum bittering hops? Outstanding.

m: Moderate body, a little creamy nice carbonation.

o: Excellent beer, Nice balance between the piney bitterness of an old school southern CA ipa and modern citrus hops.

10-16-2013 22:37:43 | More by ChrisMyhre
lazy8

chilled 22 ounce bottle poured into glass

Fantastic beer! This light colored ale poured a thin head and had light lacing. The beer reamins true to its American IPA/Double IPA style with a strong hop smell and pronounced hop taste. Stone asks that the beer be enjoyed while it is still fresh, but I wonder how might age.

My only disappointment was that the liquor store limited sales to just one bottle per customer. My bottle was gone in a flash.

03-20-2013 19:43:22 | More by lazy8
TrackZero

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

Another excellent beer by Stone, shame they're so hard to find & will only be around for a month.

Inhale deeply right after a fresh pour, and the hops will blow you away. Like a freshly-mowed field of hops. "Is there anything in here *besides* hops?" you'll wonder...

A touch more carbonation than I like, but I got over it.

The 9.4% really sneaks up on you...the alcohol is well concealed. I'm still not sure where it was hiding.

Overall, great beer, well worth the hunt. I'll be sad to see it disappear.

08-25-2012 15:05:47 | More by TrackZero
datalager

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

Here's the quick and dirty. My bottle was dated "Enjoy By 4-20-14".

If you've had a west coast IPA, this one has everything you would expect, simply done to the highest level of quality. Without mincing words, this is the best west coast IPA I have ever had in a bottle. Nuff said.

03-26-2014 17:03:41 | More by datalager
AdamBear

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

A-Golden with a nice white head

S-best smelling IPA I've ever had. Pure grapefruit goodness. Somewhat floral. Pure awesome.

T-comes in with an amazing flavor of crisp grapefruit hops and grains and smooth bitterness. It's a beautiful IPA. Very smooth and refined. After-taste of tropical fruity hops. Great one.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a semi-dry finish

O-extremely impressed and pleased. I tell you I was craving quality hops like no other and this satisfied that craving as well as possible. Such a big smile drinking this. The high abv is lost. Tasting light and smooth.

03-06-2013 22:27:37 | More by AdamBear
browniewithnuts

Had on tap at Tj's in Paoli

A: Dark golden hue with a 1 inch head that lightly dissipates as you drink. Very clear almost opaque in color.

S: The grassy notes of the beer are prevalent at the front of the nose followed by a lot of citrus notes following. Grapefruit and Pineapple are the most noticeable fruity notes that come through in the nose

T: Like the smell, the grassy notes are up front. This beer is very fresh and crisp and gives a very clear and delicious taste. The citrus/ fruity notes come through next with pineapple and grapefruit being the ones that come through most. The hop bitterness lingers on the back end and stays with you long after the sip in a perfect, flavorful way.

M: The beer is very crisp and carbonated but not heavily so. It doesn't hinder the flavors of the beer and offers a very clean finish. It tingles the tongue and stays with you after the sip.

O: A great IPA. Very fresh and all the different flavors mix together really well and come through very prominently.

01-18-2013 01:28:15 | More by browniewithnuts
Gambelli

Nevada

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

Enjoy by 12/13/13 22oz. bomber into Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Awesome painted-label bottle (great for bottling homebrew) with green, easy to read label. Thanks to Julian at Craftshack for expediting this to me to drink before the enjoy by date. I'm sure it would
have been ruined had I not sampled it before the 12/13/13 deadline.

A-Yellowish, almost clear brew with a constant 1/8" beige head. Medium carbonation.

S- Fantastic hop bouquet. Floral, citrusy, tropical. Malt aroma is there in force too. Like I'm walking behind a combine in a Montana barley field, while Oregon hop growers wave 20 foot
bines of freshly harvested hops in my face. Absolutely lucious.

T- Follows suit with the nose. Fruity, (peach, apricot,) citrus, (tangerine, and grapefruit) tropical fruits, (mango, pineapple) plus a bit of pine also. A tinge of alcohol heat, but well hidden for a 9% beer. And that malt backbone again, I love when a beer can carry that
crushed grain, freshly baked bread taste along with such a powerful hop presence.

M- Ever present bitterness, hop oil, resiny, with a wonderful body to highlight all of this together. On many double/imperial IPA's the alcohol snuffs out what would otherwise
be a great brew. Not this one. All flavors and bitterness linger quite awhile on the tongue.

O- I had high expectations for this one after the reviews I had read. It did not disappoint.
This rivals any west coast double IPA, at a great price. Hope this becomes a regular from
Stone.

12-14-2013 23:43:00 | More by Gambelli
trooperp

08-14-2014 03:57:18 | More by trooperp
IPA_Chris

4.84/5  rDev +9.3%

It was a pleasant surprise to come across an Enjoy By at my local craft brew mart. Aware of the hype, I ran to the cooler to pick up a (22 oz approx) bottle of the 12/13/2013 circulation.

Enjoy By did NOT disappoint. Frankly, I could care less about smell or appearance, so let's move on to the other categories. Lots of quality IPA flavor--pineapple, citrus, pine, florals--a very complex and fragrant beer and goes down surprisingly smooth considering it carries such a high ABV. DIPAs are my go-to and Enjoy By is now in my top 5.

A difficult beer to find but well worth picking up when you can.

12-24-2013 01:47:29 | More by IPA_Chris
mitch3114

4.84/5  rDev +9.3%

Enjoy By 09/13/13 22 oz. bomber pulled straight from the fridge and poured with 4-5 oz. intervals into 10 oz. snifter

A- Beautiful thick apricot gold color, initially cloudy, but clears up after pour. A 1/4"-1/2" bubbly, foamy white head that sticks around for a while. As the beer sloshes around in the snifter a fine bubbly film trails down the sides of the glass

S- The smell of this is wonderful! It's fresh. It's Clean. I smell fresh juicy hops, some sugar, some caramel. The hops are not piney and not really grapefruit-like, but remind me of the mandarin oranges I used to eat out of the can when I was a kid. Also I am reminded of the smell of the shell of a candy apple.

T- Much like the smell, the first sip, a ZINGER as my taste buds go wild! Floral hops, mandarin oranges. This beer is only a few weeks old, so it is SO fresh. As it warms, I get a bit of sugar, some estery caramel hoppyness which is unique but out of this world tasty. As I proceed with my servings I aggressively agitate the beer in my mouth and pick up some subtle coriander and chamomile.

O- Overall this is one of the best imperial IPA's I have ever had. I bought an 8 oz. snifter of the 04/20/13 on tap at a restaurant earlier this year on a whim and I loved it. This is the first time I had it since then and perhaps the first IIPA I have had since then as well. This beer is surprisingly refreshing and the alcohol is hidden very well. It CAN NOT BE TASTED AT ALL! For a brew approaching 10% that is very impressive. I have had some really HOT brews at 9-10%. Not this beer. I strongly recommend this to hop heads and anyone who is a craft beer aficionado in general as this is not a harsh IIPA. Bold, vivid in flavor-yes, but not harsh in alcohol or hops whatsoever-a WORLD CLASS BEER!

03-31-2013 15:37:47 | More by mitch3114
JerUrbans

Wisconsin

Enjoy by 4-20-14

Pours very clear yellow with touches of orange. Smell is citrus, hops, coriander. Taste is freaking fantastic, fresh, hoppy, grapefruit, subtle bitter, and the alcohol is very well hidden. Mouthfeel is so smooth and silky, with nice carbonation.

Overall, probably the best IPA I've ever had. Bitter but finishes nice and sweet.

04-14-2014 01:29:57 | More by JerUrbans
Oakenator

4.83/5  rDev +9%

Light golden color and you can easily see right through this well filtered beer. Hop aroma is present a good distance from the nose. Hops are strong on the spices - almost fresh cracked pepper and basil - with a small amount of citrus. Some malty sweetness on the backend but certainly not the star. Thank you Stone for enforcing freshness of this hoppy beer.

08-22-2012 23:24:13 | More by Oakenator
AndyAvalanche

4.83/5  rDev +9%

22 oz. bottle that's poured into a large Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Liquid comes out a light golden yellow color with perfect clarity. Huge white foamy head that comes up big after a hard pour. , good lacing, but not great. Still there's a thin layer of the head that stays through the whole session which is cool.

The smell is awesome, almost perfect. Generous aromas of citrus, pine, and floral hops attack your nose right away with each sniff. And initial tickle from the bitterness then a nice sweet aroma, followed by a nice warming effect from the alcohol. A really nice straight forward/doesn't beat around the bush double IPA. Everything about each aspect is solid, and nothing is lacking.

Taste actually kicks it up a notch. Bursts of fresh citrus and just about ripe tropical fruits. Some citrus peel/zest as well that blends with some nice pale/caramel malt sweetness. It's hoppy to start with out being overly bitter which is nice. It's tough to make a beer this hoppy without being a pallet wrecker, Stone knocks it out of the park with this super fresh DIPA.

Mouthfeel is so close to being perfect, but there's some slight room for improvement I guess. Medium bodied, with a great carbonation level. There's a great sweetness to bitterness ratio for a DIPA. NO bite from the alcohol either, for 9.4 you'd expect it, but it's actually well hidden. Starts sweet and has a nice bitter finish, not too dry and a little oily. The drinkability is absolutely ridiculous. I almost ran out of liquid for this review!

This is beyond the upper echelon of beers for the style, it's elite. Seek this beer out and consume it fresh, don't sit on it. Thanks Stone, when you consistently push quality product at such high distribution and amounts, then you deserve to be Arrogant Bastards!

11-24-2012 00:32:02 | More by AndyAvalanche
Chris_Cali_2o9

Enjoy by 12.21.12
Bottled 11.16.12, exactly 10 days old

Poured from a bomber to a pub style 16 oz glass

A- Amber, 1/2" bubbly off white head

S- Intensely floral, dank, earthy, spicey, as it warms i also get citrus, mango, & apple cider

T- Follows the nose, plus grapefruit bitterness, caramel bready malts, and slit alcohol twang

M- Oily, low carbonation, pleasing alcohol heat

O- I'm loving this brew! There's so much going on here and as it warms, i'm offered more and more aromas and flavors. Fresh out of the fridge, i'm adorned by floral, dank, earthy, spicy, hops. The taste is much the same with an added bonus of grapefruit bitterness and a slit alcohol twang that melds nicely. As it warms, citrus, fruit, and sweet malts become more apparent. Citrus and mango show up to the party with sweet bready malts as their entourage. All this comes together with an alcohol twang that melds perfectly with the rest of the flavors and leaves a tingling feeling at the back of the throat, spiciness lingers on my lips long after it's gone. If i had to compare it to anything i would say Drake's Aroma Coma. Both show light on a new evolution of west coast IPA's. A glorious future is yet to come.

11-27-2012 02:44:43 | More by Chris_Cali_2o9
bareju

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a beautiful clear gold, white head quickly dissipates.

S: Citrus and floral hops, nice and strong.

T: A wonderful mix of citrus and floral characters, with just enough pine to balance out the sweet honey malts.

M: Medium body, medium low carb, matches nicely with taste. This is a pretty big beer, not an easy drinker.

O: I can feel the alcoholic warmth, was confused until I looked it up and saw that it is 9.4%... Hides the alcohol really well, hidden by the bitter pine finish. I was expecting this to be more in the 6-7% range, the value is much better as a high ABV beer. Not as in your face flavor as most IPAs that are this strong... Man this is a good beer. If you see it, grab it. There's a reason Stone is legendary for making IPAs.

06-13-2014 22:52:26 | More by bareju
sublimesipping

4.83/5  rDev +9%

Enjoy by on the day. A day of both sadness and joy as we say goodbye to a grandma and celebrate the b-day of my son. A big 4. A memorable day capped by a memorable beer. Stone lives up to their rep and the hype. Great beer living up to a day to remember for a life, capped by 9/13/13 . Truly enjoyed as we celebrate a life well lived for 93 years and the exhuberence of a 4 year old. A great lasting Hops enfused beer memory.

09-14-2013 01:44:27 | More by sublimesipping
Sludgeman

District of Columbia

4.83/5  rDev +9%

Re-review on Enjoy By 04-20-14 - Bottled on 3/12/14. Poured into a chalice.

Complex. One of the best IPAs I have ever had.

A - Light honey colored, crystal clear, rocky half-finger white head, good lacing.

S - Grapefruit, floral, citrusy, piney

T - Citrus, resiny, a pale malt background that does not come without some contemplation, hint of sweetness.

MF - Sharp, fizzy, leaves my mouth feeling clean and bright.

Also had:

03-22-2014 00:34:40 | More by Sludgeman
searsclone

Arizona

02.15.13 version from a bottle. Poured into a wine, er, beer glass

crystal clear copper color with champagne like bubbles that form a long lasting tan head with great lace.

smell is caramel, pine, skunk (in a good way), sweet fruit, and, dare I say, beef jerky?. The warmer it gets, the better is smells.

Taste is caramel perfectly balanced with piney hops, then some honey, and sweet fruit. Maybe a touch of dark chocolate in the finish? Alcohol is completely hidden within the flavors.

Mouth, when colder, is crispy and smooth. Prickly and medium bodied with a dry and warming finish. As it warms a bit, it gets less crispy, and more velvety.

Overall, a great IPA. Extremely easy to drink, and definitely worth the hype. A must try if you get the chance.

01-31-2013 01:46:07 | More by searsclone
Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.