Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,254 | Hads: 9,546
4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2/14/14 Delicious with a excellent balance between hops and malts. The nose is great super floral with hints of pine and citrus, excellent flavor notes of citrus, pine, slight tropical fruit with a light malt backbone finishes super clean the "enjoy by" just keeps getting better and better every release! (305 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2/14/14 Poured on 2/4/14 from 22oz bottle

A - Pours crystal clear, a bit light on head/bubbles and only thin lacing but still looks nice

S - Oooh it hits the nose before you even pick it up and get close to it. I get a mostly piney and slightly floral aroma, very appealing. As with most IPA's I am having trouble detecting the subtleties after my nose adjusts to the smell and it fades a little.

T - Such perfect balance between the hops and malt, and the freshness really comes through. They REALLY nailed it. Sweet taste initially, enjoyable bitter finish. The piney hops come through in the flavor. Tastes closer to a Lagunitas IPA than a SNPA or Torpedo IPA. Can't even believe this is a 9-10% ABV beer as it's so easy drinking and balanced. Quickly vaults itself into one of the top flavor beers i've encountered.

M - Smooth/slightly oily with a tingling of the tongue carbonation/hop presence. Dry finish leaves you begging for more.

O - Really really really liked it. The average score might be dinged by the appearance but do you really care about that if it smells/tastes delicious? Easily one of my new favorite beers. Just a shame it isn't a common 12 pack :-) (1,179 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 1/10/14 dated 2/14/14 bottle into New Belgium globe

A-Pours a clear copper colour with a two finger, foamy, off-white head that lingers and leaves modest lacing.

S-Aroma is pine and floral hops, citrus and tropical fruits.

T-Taste is grapefruit, orange rind, mango, pine and mildly sweet malts. Aftertaste is pine and mildly sweet malts.

M-Mouthfeel is somewhat oily with lively carbonation and a sharp, bitter and drying finish.

O-Awesome DIPA by Stone and at great price point! (495 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/10/14. Poured 2/3/14. I believe I paid $6.99 for the bomber.

Enjoy by 2.14.14

Appearance: Perfectly clear golden color. Two finger, slightly off-white head. Great lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Very fresh on the nose, as I'd expect. The two dominant aromas I pull are pine and grapefruit. A sort of malty sweetness as well. Not exactly blowing my mind with a huge depth of interesting smells, but what's there is very nice.

Taste/feel: Quite nice. Like the smell in a lot of ways. A good bit of sweetness through most of the sip with a slight burn and bitterness on the finish. The flavor on the front is resinous, piney hops, with grapefruit and other citrus flavors meddling in the middle of the mouth, with that bit of a burn/bitterness at the end. Aftertaste is a sort of lemon zest bitterness with a caramel sweetness. I like it, but not it's not blowing my socks off. Medium body. Medium carbonation, maybe a little high. Very drinkable. As the brew warms slightly, a sort of Summit hop flavor comes through (for those who don't know, a bit of an oniony flavor). It actually becomes pretty significant and it makes the brew a bit more interesting and causes it to stand out a little bit more than it otherwise would have. As it warms up even more, tropical fruit peeks through, as does the alcohol. Tastes almost like a completely different beer from when it was straight out of the fridge.

Enjoy By's a brew I've been wanting to get my hands on since I first heard about it. I missed out on the last batch that came to Michigan, but not this one. Grapefruit and pine dominate when it's first out of the fridge, but then Summit hops (or ones similar) add a third dimension. This is a tasty one to crack open and spend an afternoon or evening with that also comes at a reasonable price. It's a beer I'd recommend you seek out, but in a way, I'm ALMOST disappointed? I decided to give it a 4.5 overall just because I love how the flavors change so much throughout the 22oz of beer.

TL;DR: Enjoy By should be tried by ANYBODY who likes or loves IPAs, simple as that. (2,089 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bomber into snifter glasses.
Pours a nice medium amber, decent to moderate head.
Aromas are very nice, sweetness, hoppiness, little malt notes.
Taste is really, really nice. A lot of tropical fruit, pineapple, very little bitterness.
My favorite Stone beer by far.
A very nice IPA not trying to be a bitter bomb from Stone. Good work. (346 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2-14-14( tasted 1/30/14)-
Having tasted this beer twice in the past- once on tap 12/12, and 9-2-13, I was expecting the same quality and taste/mf/aroma profile.

The current brew doesn't have the strong aroma of the 9-2-13. The latter had more tropical fruit, and a more bitter, hoppy finish.

The current Enjoy By is more conventional- tastes similar to other West Coast IPAs. Lots of grapefruit, more sweetness, the same vanilla presence, and less hoppier finish.
I would like more tropical fruit in future brews.

An excellent beer, but I prefer the previous style.

9-2-13

I was to lucky to find a bottle of this sought after beer.

Poured in a tulip: beautiful copper color with carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass.
1F head.

I could smell the fruit without putting my nose to the glass. Very tropical: orange, some grapefruit, and surprisingly, vanilla, which I don't usually smell in an IPA.

What sets this IPA apart from others: the fruits are highly tropical. Not your typical grapefruit, or citrus rind. Very tropical with orange. Very little grapefruit.

The aroma carries to the taste. A good sign of a balanced beer. Loads of tropical fruit. No vanilla. A blast of carbonation in the mouth feel enhances the overall experience of the beer.

Intense bitter hops at the finish- a Stone signature.

Great beer. I tasted it only once before in December. Fresh A+ IPA! (1,391 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%

Enjoy By 2.14.14 from Volante Farms (grabbed the last one!). Beautiful with a nice frothy head, golden. My favorite Stone IPA by far. Juicy grapefruit, little bit of spice and resin. A little creamy. Lingering bitterness tastes like orange and pomelo pith. Awesome. (265 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer, I had the 4.20 last year and was just blown away, what really grabs my attention is the after taste and the over all freshness behind this beer. This year's 2.14 is amazing too, not quite the 4.20 to me though, but that might just be my palette changing over a year. Stone brewery does it again. (313 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

Appearance: transparent amber/orange color with 1 finger white head that dissapates slowly leaving moderate lacing

Smell: one of the best aspects of this beer. Dank, fresh hop aroma. Citrus and pine combine almost perfectly to create a great nose

Taste: largely matches the nose. One of the freshest tasting IPA/DIPA's I've had (accomplishes the goal exceptionally well). Taste is probably the closest thing to fresh hops I've ever tasted

Mouthfeel: medium body, medium to light carbonation, very easy drinking for the ABV

Overall: certainly one of the best DIPA's I've ever had. The freshness of it definitely contributed to that, so props to Stone for putting an emphasis on it. The smell and taste are pure hop joy (758 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber bottled on 1/9/14 into a pint glass.

A: Pours an incredibly clear orange-gold. Creamy white head, relatively thin but good retention. Very pretty lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pineapple, mango. More citrusy than piney.

T: Initially follows smell, then piney hoppiness emerges. Slight bitterness late, then a pleasant dryness. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden for a 9.4% ABV.

M: Medium body and carbonation, crisp and fresh.

O: An outstanding DIPA. Citrusy, piney, bitter, dry, and oozes freshness. (502 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Bomber poured into tulip

Enjoy by 2.14.14

Appearance - Golden to burnt orange. Transparent with a about a finger head that settles nicely leaving a ring around the glass.

Smell - Pungent tropical fruits. Burnt pineapple, mango. Some spicy pine aroma is present as well. Not a lot of alcohol on the nose.

Taste - Dank sticky mango, grilled pineapple, grapefruit to start. Piny bitterness and spiciness like garlic towards the middle. Mild woodiness, and alcohol to finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation, medium-full bodied, refreshing and crisp

Overall - Good beer. Punch in the nose and to the palate. It's a nice blend of citrus and slight spiciness that will surely leave you wanting next times batch. Got to try Enjoy by 11.12.13 as we'll (sad I didn't review) but I will be looking for this again next time. (822 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Enjoy By IPA 02.14.14, enjoyed on 01.31.14 in my DT tulip. Pours a translucent, golden-orange with a loose, quarter-inch, off-white cap that dissipates into a froth and then an oily slick that coalesces into a thin band around the shoulders. Some spots of lacing and a random swath present during the tasting. Great nose - tropical fruit, citrus rind, grapefruit, spiciness and an herbal/piney character. Taste is less fruity than suggested by the nose. Much more of a malty backbone as well as a spicy character and rind towards the finish. An oniony character is also revealed as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a bright, prickly carbonation and a light acidity that stimulates that tongue and salivary glands. Overall, quite interesting, but I have to say that I wish the flavor profile was a closer match for the nose - a bit too much malt and spice and not enough tropical fruit for my sensibilities. (928 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 14-February-2014
Enjoyed on 30-January-2014

Pours a clear copper with a finger of white head that retained well. The nose has good hoppiness and a touch of citrus. There was a blast of hop bitterness upfront followed by an interesting blend of malt and hops. This baby is plenty bitter. The finish has a touch of alcohol bite that does not go well with the remainder of the tasting experience. The mouthfeel is a touch thinner than top shelf DIPAs.

This offering is quite good, but I am not convinced that it lives up to the hype. I am certainly interested enough to try another batch if I can get my hands on one. I drank this bottle at cellar temperature; I think that next time I will briefly chill it before enjoying it.

2nd Sampling
Enjoy by 04-July-2014
Enjoyed on 15-june-2014

This second sampling proved to have a stronger citrus flavor which was accompanied by a notable spiciness. Also, the alcohol was much better in check this time. All around - a tastier iteration than the first. (1,006 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%

Tasting conditions: 8oz glass from 22oz bottle. 50 degrees fahrenheit.

Appearance: Clear and light, with little evidence of crystal/caramel malt coloring. Poured a 1 finger head of fine white bubbles into an 8 ounce sample glass, which subsided to a ring after a few minutes. Noted, but not remarkable lacing. Persistent champagne-like carbonation.

Smell: Remarkably fresh hop aroma with a strong dank cannabis presence, accompanied by notes of bright grapefruit and resin. Very close to the smell of whole cone hops from the bag.

Taste: A brief splash of malt sweetness at the front, enduring only a split-second before succumbing to white pepper and lemongrass washing over the mid-palate. Alcohol is noted, but incorporate into the flavors well. A dry resin finish joins the remaining pepper bite to bring the next sip fast.

Mouthfeel: Adequate carbonation and alcohol bite to present the juicy hop character well. It seemed to linger noticeably more than most IPAs, but the substantial gravity is likely to blame.

Overall: A very unique and fresh IPA! I can't remember having another quite like it, with the focus towards dank and peppery flavor. A pleasant change from the citrus forward fare of the day, but with enough grapefruit to remind you it's an American IPA. In my opinion, an outstanding beer. (1,316 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I found this beer by surprise at Joe's Inn in Richmond Virginia. I had been keeping an eye out for it for quite some time and it always eluded me, so this was quite a treat.

This beer came out in a shaker pint, with a crystal clear, amber-orange appearance and about two fingers of foamy white head.

It smelled like a classic west coast ipa, with a twist. It was grapefruit, pineaple and pear with a faint, simcoe-garlic background with some pine.

The taste followed suit, although the garlic was more pronounced and there was a surprisingly assertive sweet malt presence in the mid palate. The finish was pine and hop resin with pear.

The mouthfeel was thicker and more substantial than expected but finished dry.

Overall, this is a beautifully crafted beer that absolutely lives up to the hype. Crisp, clean and tropical with a quick bitter punch. Highly recommended. (874 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Vintage: 2014
Appearance: Transparent, Liquid Gold; Foamy, White Head; Medium Lace; Minimal Carbonation
Smell: Pine; Grapefruit; Dank; Honey Dew; Herbal Hops
Taste: Follows nose in character and order.
Mouth-feel: Medium Body; Big Carbonation; Resinous; Long, Bitter Finish
Overall: Fucking Awesome, as always.
Comments: One of the best DIPAs on the market. (360 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -5%

Twas a great night. Started with the Stone so from what I remember. Was exceptional. Had a fridge just stocked for a good night of decent beers. Between the Dogfish Head and the local IPA from shipyard (Black and Monkey Fist), This was a spectacular night of great beer. 02.14.14 from Stone was highlight and also the 2nd to last trip to local packy. She sent me for smokes one more time, damn. But came home with a nice lil 5 spot for the night. The Stone was the star but you cant beat 90 min. from Dogfish Head. It's epic and we all know it. The fact i had a Sixer of the the local Shipyard IPA was a bonus and that Black IPA is real damn good. Stone continues to deliver and to be fair I live out in nowhere ME so the fact I'm getting this beer is just plane awesome. Wow I got min of 84 to go and all I can think about is that damn meatloaf i just microwaved. I shall go now and chow. drink well my friends Ü (914 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had the 2/14/14 version this past weekend at a great beer spot in DC.
Color was deep amber/orange. Pretty hazy. Head was nice and steady with nice lacing afterward.
Odor was citrus with a little tropical fruit sweetness. Malt present as well to a lesser degree.
Taste closely mirrors the aroma. Citrus hops up front with some pine and a touch of malt. Mouth feel was smooth and moderately carbonated and left a pleasant aftertaste.
Overall, an excellent IPA and one that I will be trying to get again in coming versions for sure. (535 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -7.9%

This is my first experience with the Enjoy By series from Stone but if it is anything like the rest of their ipas, I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Lets get to it. This one pours a beautiful copper amber hue with a generous white head that gives way to a gentle and lasting Frothy film and decent lacing. The aroma of this is slightly disappointing. At first it seems perfect with a nice sweetness followed by a ton of citrus and floral hops. Alot of grapefruit and mangos, some pine and definitely some skunky grass aromas. As I smell deeper im finding notes of garlic and scallions. Not sure if it fits in this super fresh dipa profile. The flavor is delicious...at first. Super fresh and hoppy, bitter and sweet. Very balanced. A lot of citrus, pine, grass, and some nice malt and yeasty bread notes. But in the aftertaste is still those damn garlic and scallion notes. Its not bad by any means just seems to negatively affect the freshness that this ipa is known for. The body on this beer is wonderful. Medium and a little sticky. Coats the mouth with hoppy goodness for a long while. This is a great beer and I cant wait to try the next date in the series, however I do not believe it is anywhere near Stones finest offerings. But for an allocated beer how can one go wrong at just $7.99 a bomber. (1,304 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Brewhouse grille in Camp Hill, thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing the bomber with me. Enjoyed chilled from a tulip.

the color is deep amber with dark golden hues and hazed with thick white cap. The smell is fruity, tropical, juicy and light citrus odors all encompass with mild papaya aroma. The feel is great with tangy bitter and light sweet element from the malt with mild astringency and slight warming of alcohol.

The taste is very hop drenched, lots of tangy citrus and zesty mango with some grapefruit and tropical flavors from the blend with slight catty tinge hinting there is some simcoe near the finish. Overall this is as good as expected based on the track record -lots of hop flavor which is helped by the freshness which shows..almost chalky from the raw vegetal matter jammed in- this is a quality Imperial IPA, one of the best I have had in recent memory. (901 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -16.1%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

Edit 2015, over a year later I got to try Enjoy by 4/20/15, this is much better than the first Enjoy by I had, while it still has some green onion aspects to it, the fruity hops stick out the most and I enjoy it. I bumped up the score to reflect this batch, while still keeping other batch in mind. (4,061 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%

I had the 2.14 bottle and more recently on tap. From the tap this beer was great. Pour amber orange with white head. The smell was outstanding with a good balanced pine and orange, grapefruit. The taste on this pour was wonderful with hoppy citrus forward and the bitter back end but the malt shined through and finished with some orange. I will say the bottle I had was not even close to this on draft. It was much more bitter and the taste just not as good. On draft this was great overall. (492 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Enjoy By 2/14/14 - Burlington, VT (Ratings edited 7/15 after trying another (much better) batch)

A - beautiful light copper orange with thin light cream head that drops fairly soon

S - Some fruity hop smell, but a somewhat disconcerting and dominant oniony/garlicky aroma. I was not expecting that.

T - The onion/garlic aroma translates somewhat into the taste and did not do it for me. This fades somewhat as the beer warms

M - excellent body and mouthfeel

O - The dominance of the onion/garlic hop aroma and flavor are not what I appreciate in a good beer. This was very disappointing for me as I've heard so many positive reviews for this beer. (652 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle of 02.14.14

Poured a rich light amber color with a creamy thick head of 3/4 inch. Significant lacing. Smell is making my mouth water. Taste - wow! Nice IPA, one of THE BEST I've ever had - Pure hoppy beautifulness! A truly great beer - enjoyed every last drop and want more! (289 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow this is quite a beer. The nose is a wonderful bouquet of citrus fruits, mango, guava, and starfruit. All of the juiciest fruit seems to make an appearance but has none of the tarter and more noticeable citrus flavors are found here. The taste is much in the same vein as the nose but there is a very mild undercurrent of piney and resin flavors underneath. The mouthfeel is almost the best part of this beer. So smooth yet with just a touch of carbonation, on such a robust DIPA it really makes drinking easy and before you know it your bomber is gone!

Stone did this one really right. Awesome DIPA. (604 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.