Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,254 | Hads: 9,543
2.34/5  rDev -46.9%

I love this beer but something is wrong with the 2/14/15 batch. Finish is like cat pee mixed with overly astringent booze finish. I never thought I would have to pour out the second half of an Enjoy By bomber, but that's what just happened. Currently drinking a dank imperial stout, but even that isn't killing the taste of this funk. Hopefully this is just a bad batch. I am going to have to return these other two bombers. (429 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -44.7%

Enjoy by 7-04-14 tasted on 6-7-14. So very fresh.
I really hate the smell. Smells like gruyere crust to me. I have had the same problem with several stone beers. Since so many love their beers I think that it is simply some kind of reaction with my palate. I don't get the fruity smell lots talk about. The taste is no as bad, but still taste like gruyere to me.
I had the same problem with the go to IPA (not as much though), ruination (more than with the "go to ipa"), the Gotterdammerung.
Must be something wrong with my palate (some reaction to the type of hops they use), so don't judge the beer by my review. (614 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle on the "enjoy by" date of 9/21/12.

A - The pour looks great...a beautiful light copper color with a nice white head.

S - Not very good. Im getting some band-aid or medicine or onion smell that is not appealing AT ALL. I cant quite place what the smell is, but I dont like it.

T- Similar to the smell. The best part is the finish, which tastes like actual hops instead of poison. Getting some biscuit in there as well.

M - The best part of the beer. The tingle from the carbonation reminds me that I am, in actuality, drinking beer and not liquid Tylenol.

O - I was really looking forward to this and it is a huge letdown. I still have half a glass and the other half of the bomber to drink and I dont really even want it. Maybe they use Summit hops and Im getting the "oniony" thing that many people swear by? I dunno if that is the case because I really like Gubna, which supposedly is an "Onion bomb". Or maybe Stone made a mistake and should have called it "Enjoy by 9/20/12 ".... (1,018 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -40.4%

Tried this in a tasting at the beer store. Fruity and hoppy to be sure. A bit over the top for my personal preferences. Enjoy By 08-02-13 batch tasted during mid-July 2013.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.] (315 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -39.9%

enjoy by 12/21/12 because if i dont the bottle will blow up right? thought about not drinking this till after the enjoy by date to be a prick but i needed a beer now.

Faded golden hue with a big sticky white head. Pungent west coast ipa nose, grapefruit, prominent sweet citrus fruit, and pine. Got a faint underlying tobacco smell as well with very faint sweet malts.

Tastes like an amped up stone ipa with a slicker body, more alcohol, more tannins, and less acidity. This beer is good but nowhere near out of the ordinary with the so called "freshness" not playing a role to me, i've had plenty of brews that taste as fresh as this one well beyond the maturity of this brew. I think the high ratings of this beer really come from the marketing that stone did. On the distribution and retail end of things, stone doesn't do much in the way of out coded beer for the consumer so I guess this is their way of moving through beer quicker without complaints. If this enjoy by series ever gets stale i'm sure stone will never really come personally pull them off the shelves and eat the costs. (1,092 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -38.8%

01/26/14 From bottle labeled 01/09/14. Can't get much fresher than that outside the brewpub. That being said I wasn't knocked out.

In fairness I never was much of a hops fan and this follows the Stone model of catering to that taste. Pine was the flavor of note but the lack of depth was striking. I applaud the effort, but no cigar. (335 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -37.6%

I got a 32 ounce growler of this because I'm such a fan of Stone. I sampled it before I bought it and thought it tasted pretty good. I poured into a frozen pint glass. By the time I finished it had a hint of a unpleasant taste. By the time I finished the growler, it was downright gross. I won't be having anymore of that. (327 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

It's got a pretty good front, but that aftertaste is like dried orange peels and driftwood. Very hoppy, but not necessarily in a good way. You shouldn't say "finally" when you're finished...

Thinking maybe we got a bad batch, because the three (highly reviewed) beers we had at the establishment were all average at best. (322 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoy by 09-13-13 poured in Lunar Pint Glass

A) Very pretty looking beer, clear, light amber, carbination

S) Pine

T) I wonder if I got a bad bottle, too piney, no sweetness at all.

M) Oily, over carbinated

O) I did not like it, never had a pine bomb before and will never get it again. Sorry Stone (305 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -36.1%

can not believe this has such high ratings! This was GROSS! I would have to be wasted to drink any more! Bitter strong, horrible after taste. Not smooth!! (154 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -35.1%

Enjoy by 7-4-14 model

Pours a clear light amber with nice finger and a half of loosely bubbled head that is persistent and leaves a great lacing. Nose is grapefruit and most notable, tons of tropical fruit especially mango/papaya, maybe even some peach mixed in. Extremely fruity. Taste, unfortunately for me, follows the nose pretty close. I don't know the type of hops off hand but there's a hit of hoppy, piney bitterness and then another assault of tropical fruit. Mouthfeel is what it should be, nothing to brag or gripe about. Overall, there's waaay too much of the tropical fruit sweetness for me. I just don't "enjoy" it. I'll still buy the next one though because this series from Stone is generally one I enjoy. (722 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -33.6%

poured from a 22 into a pint gass

A: poured from a 22. Looks nice and clean, like it will have great hop flavor. Leaves nice lacing along the whole glass. looks very appealing.

S: Smells like citrus and pine, just what I'd expect form an ipa. The smell leaves with an aftertaste of onions which I'm not so keen about.

T: Taste follow the nose, unfortunately the onion taste overpowers the beautiful west coast IPA
flavors. The citrus and pine are there, but overshadowed by onion. There is a nice bitterness, but still overshadowed by onion. If you hate onions as much as I do maybe you'll agree.

M: Good, medium body. nice carbonation. Feels like it should.

O: Was very excited to try this one, but after having 3 separate brews I have decided to give this one a pass in the future. Too much hype, too much onion. (820 characters)

I really enjoyed the 10-31-14. I would give it 10-31-14 a 4.5.

The 12-26-14 not so much. Missing are citrus smells. It smelled more like an wet sock with a slight hint of skunk. And the taste wasn't much better. I actually poured the 2nd half down the drain. (267 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 10/12/12

11.09.12

This is perhaps clearer than any IPA I've ever seen. The color is sort of an autumn orange with straw yellow highlights at the stem. One finger of bubbly white foam doesn't last long, leaving a soapy layer. Lace and bubbles hang across the glass.

I wouldn't have expected three days to do much damage, but the aroma isn't nearly as vibrant as when I sampled a bottle earlier in the week. While the first bottle had a wonderful, grapefruit and sugar beet aroma that was a perfect ratio of sweet citrus, the beer in my glass now has a fairly common grapefruit/pine combo and a light, biscuit/dough notion. To its credit, there nose is clean despite readily appreciable hop oils and resins. Alcohol is barely noticeable. At the risk of sounding cliche, you can smell the hops fade as you hold the glass.

The hops are a bit of a let down for the palate. Pine and prickly citrus are surprisingly one dimensional (though I hesitate to call it bland). The hops don't have the same zeal as the earlier bottle (or from the tap). Bitterness is moderately high. At least most of the flavor is still there. Thankfully, malts are sent to hiding; just some dusty biscuit and cracker notes.

The body is trim, maybe even thin, considering the style. Carbonation is rather light. While I generally like low carbonation, in this case it makes for a weak feel overall. It doesn't help that alcohol slickness trumps the hop oils.

My overall impression is that Enjoy By is pretty much a gimmick. Purposefully making a product that deteriorates rapidly and pushing distribution to get it across the country? Sounds like Stone has quit being arrogant and gone to being obnoxious. Nevertheless, sometimes gimmicks can turn out alright, which is the case here. At the very least, Stone should be commended for making a DIPA that isn't a complete sugary booze bomb. (1,897 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -27.2%

2x IPA lover here -- this beer OVERRATED. After just having enjoyed a KBS and the pure enjoyment and understanding of such a finely crafted brew, I don't have any idea why folks are doing backflips over Enjoy By. Average all the way around... where's the taste distinction, brewmaster character, special note/feel/taste?! (323 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with two fingers of dense white head. Good retention, decent lacing.

S: Intense and complex hoppiness in the aroma of this beer. I get strong citrus followed by pine, resin, and onion. A bit of caramel sweetness shows up, but this beer certainly does not smell sweet.

T: Caramel sweetness comes out much more in the flavor than the aroma. Resiny hops come out with a bit of onion. Bitterness is quite strong. Booze is surprisingly also quite strong.

M: On the thick side with adequate carbonation.

O: A very nice aroma, but the hop flavor is muddled and booze is quite strong for the style. (660 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This years offerings so far have taken a serious nose dive! Had the release for Feb and now the March. Bittering is much milder and seems to be off balance now. Flavor is still solid but it is missing the 'grapey' (nelson sauvin?)finish I thought made this beer so unique. Dank hops are much more noticeable in this version. Not sure what has happened to the recipe or if hops used are no longer cost effective but it is not the awesome hop head offering it once was in 2013. Too bad this was definitely one of my favorite readily available IPA's in my area. (558 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -26.3%

This was the 12.09.14 batch..IMO all these beers start to taste the same and I cant tell anymore whats so special with the hype in this series.. Im prolly done with this series at this point. (191 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

4:20 version. I can tolerate the dank, onion, garlic, sweaty feet aroma. I just felt it was overly bitter and the hop profile was unable to effectively balance this monster imho. (180 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Purchased June 3, 6 days after bottling. Purchased at Total Wine in VA. for $8.49. Color is an amazingly clear, gold color with about two fingers of creamy white to off-white head. Allowed to sit and breathe for a bout 10 minutes, head is now almost completely gone and left in it's place is an average amount of lacing, nothing to really talk about. Aroma is pineapple, fresh squeezed orange juice, creamsicle and a small background of hop pineyness. During the second whiff of this on the second pour, I get a ton of ONION, wow, not my favorite, This aroma changed very fast from juicy citrus to fresh cut SCALLIONS... This version is quite a bit different, IMO, from the others I have had. I get a lot of hop bitterness right up front and the citrus now takes a back seat. I still get some pineapple, but it is subdued by the piney hops and the bitterness. I definitely can feel the alcohol a lot more than in previous Enjoy Bys. it really bites and lingers on the palate. Finish is pretty short, but the bitterness and alcohol remain for quite awhile and so does the smell of onions, weird !!. Of the three different Enjoy Bys I have had, this one is my least favorite because of the cloying, persistant alcohol remnants that refuse to leave and the lack of that burst of fresh citrus that were in the others. Overall, nice but not spectacular. Slightly disappointed !

OK, opening another one of these to see if maybe my taste buds were off a few days ago when I had my first one. Pour is the same, with a clear gold color and a finger or two of head. Aroma, this time around is right upfront with the onion and some pineapple. Taste is abundant with alcohol feel and I don't get a lot of fresh citrus like I would like, even though there is a touch of pineapple. This beer is gonna be what its gonna be, a bittery, oniony beer that is definitely not the dank, citrusy beer that was the past enjoy bys..Oh well, gave it a second shot, Ill wait for the next one........ (1,975 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

"Enjoy By 04/01/13 IPA." Acquired last night at my local beer store. Identifies as a DIPA on the label. 9.4% ABV confirmed. Expectations are high given its reputation, but I'm not a big Stone fan. Still, I do enjoy some of their beers from time to time - which are often collaborations. Hm. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A good brief hiss as I opened it. No issues with beer surging out or anything.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, decent cream, nice thickness, and rather good (5+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Lacks the appealing froth I'd expect from the head of a good Imperial IPA. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a surprisingly pale yellow-copper; it lacks the vibrance of other good beers in the style. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Overall, it's above average but there's nothing unique or special here. Transparent and translucent.

Sm: A bit soapy, with assertive grapefruit but none of the grapefruit bite of inferior IIPAs. Floral and piney, with light nectary character. Sticky pale malts form the foundation and seem to be of good sweetness to balance the hops. Some oily hop notes. A pungent, pleasing aroma. Appealing if a bit too assertive. The soapiness bothers me, but hopefully it's just an aromatic flaw. A pleasant aroma of moderate strength. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Floral and nectary, with pleasant grapefruit throughout. Unfortunately, untamed bitterness strikes in the late second act and climax, joined by an unpleasant overly sweet malty character that unsuccessfully tries to hide it. Up front, it's refreshingly creamy just after the open - a great welcome to the refreshing pale malt body. Amplitude is relatively low, especially for the style. And light soapiness indicates this spent too long in primary. Little pine comes through - a missed opportunity. The intrusive bitterness really kills the balance, but it's not a severe issue. The beer is still pleasant throughout. It's got depth of flavour, but lacks complexity or subtlety. The finish feels weak and somewhat muted compared to the open and body. Structurally, then, it's a bit problematic. Some tame grassy character about the climax. Somewhat resiny in the second act. I don't get yeast character. There is a bit of alcohol presence, but it's by no means boozy or hot. All around an enjoyable beer in the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nicely nectary/oily. A touch overcarbonated - surprising for a beer so clearly intended to be consumed shortly after leaving the brewery. Palate presence is pretty good; I get all of the flavour easily. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: This Imperial IPA misses the most important feature of the style - balance. The bitterness is not well hidden enough. It's somewhat refreshing, but the presence of alcohol in the flavour profile reduces drinkability. I'm not impressed with the choices of hops either; the floral character feels generic, grapefruit is too prominent, and there's little pine. Additionally, the soapy character is a clear indicator of a brewing issue. Though this is one of the better beers I've had that's brewed by Stone alone, I definitely don't think it's worth seeking out. The gimmicky marketing doesn't affect my score, but it's definitely a trend I hope to see fade. Many will love this beer and defend that love with a curious argument about types of Imperial IPAs. So be it. I wish I enjoyed this as much as those individuals do, but I look for balance in every beer - regardless of style - and Imperial IPAs do not get special treatment because of an ostensible regional take on the style. (And while we're on the subject, Alpine and Port are both West Coast breweries that reliably churn out very balanced Imperial IPAs). In any case, Stone didn't fall as far from the mark as I anticipated when beginning to review this. Drinkable but not without its flaws. I won't be buying this again or recommending it to friends.

B- (4,228 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -25.2%

Enjoy By 4.01.13

A- Pours golden yellow with an off-white head. Lots of lacing.

S- Lots of grapefruit, pine, and onion. Sweet underlying pineapple.

T- Big grapefruit, pine, and bitterness followed by a massive amount of spicy ONION with garlic. Hints of pineapple in the background, but everything takes a back seat to the onion. Dank, and not to sound crazy, but maybe a bit of cellar-like funk. I could see this beer going well with a dish containing sauteed onions.

M- Medium body and decently high carbonation. A bit of a kick to it.

O- Way too much onion, I won't be coming back for more. Bring back Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary :(. (646 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -24.3%

Enjoy By 11.09.12. Poured in a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass for sexiness.

APPEARANCE

This is what those in the advertising business call "Sex Appeal". This beer just looks good. Crystal clear, yellow-orange-amber in color, resting under a slightly off-white head... Yeah, this is the kind of beer that makes mouths water. I love the look of a good IPA, and this beer has got that look. If this beer was a female, I would try my best to "holla". If this beer was a painting in an art gallery, I would stare at it intensely and occasionally nod my head so everyone around me knew how much I knew about art or whatever. If this beer was a Big Mac, it would be the one in the picture and not the one you get when you order it. If this beer was a... Ok, you get my point.

SMELL

There are definitely some New Zealand hops in the nose. Notes of grapes, flowers, mango, citrus, earthiness, and a smidge of everyone's favorite "cat pee" fill my nostrils. There is a deep, dank smell that reminds me of a quaint but "lived-in" basement which adds a bit of charm without being unpleasant. There's even a bit of hop spice aroma to even things out. There is a good amount of sweet malt, but there's no mistaking it - this beer is all about the hops.

TASTE

Follows the nose very closely. Once again, the first thing I notice is the deep, dank, resiny hop character. There is a bit more pine on the tongue than on the nose, which at first I feared would be the dominating character. As I sip, however, more of the citrus and tropical fruit comes out. The New Zealand hops make another appearance and bring some earthy grape notes with them. As far as bitterness goes, this beer is on the medium side. Sure, it's bitter, but it's not a tongue splitter (I rhymed!). There is almost no alcohol flavor whatsoever. This beer has a ridiculous amount of hop character, and there is a slight muddling of flavors which is a tad disappointing. Overall, this beer is pretty tasty but nothing I'll be craving.

MOUTHFEEL

The mouthfeel really is one of the highlights of this beer. The carbonation and body are both medium, and considering the ABV this beer is not a struggle to drink. The beer coats the mouth with hop resin - the kind that kind of makes you smack your tongue for no explicable reason.

OVERALL

You may have noticed that a word I didn't use in this review was "bright". If you did notice this, I would say "Wow, you were really expecting me to say that word!". Anyway, many IPAs have a bright, refreshing crispness that fellas like me go nuts over. This beer, however, has a somewhat muddled flavor that makes me feel like it's more of an English IPA than an American IPA, which is crazy talk considering all the American hop flavors. That's not to say this beer is bad, because it's not at all! It's really an excellently balanced IPA, and it drinks more like 6% than 9.4% ABV. That being said, I'm drinking this beer as fresh as possible and it still has a layer of "meh". Is it worth buying? Yes, absolutely! Is it the IPA to end all IPAs? Not this time. Don't feel too bad if you missed out on this one (or if you drank it on 11.10.12 or something).

Cheers! (3,165 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle picked up at Sprouts in Poway CA. Apperance is light golden with a pretty thin head upon pouring. Smells really fruity and hoppy. Very sweet smelling beer along with citrus notes and pine. Mouthfeel is thin. Taste…wow. Much sweeter then I was expecting! Not really any malt balance on this brew, very hop forward, but what else what you expect from a Stone IPA? I've been drinking lots of brown ales and stouts lately and this was my first IPA back from my malty phase, I enjoyed this brew but its almost a little TOO sweet for me personally. Hop heads should love this one. (615 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -24%

Stone Enjoy By 12.21.12 Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a golden color that is easily seen through. No head to speak of. Very slight lacing.

S: Lemon citrus and pine, very similar to Pliny smell. Very strong pine.

T: Very clean and crisp IPA. Nothing special IMO, I prefer a east coast IPA style and this is very clearly West Coast style.

M: Medium body, sweet, no carbonation.

O: Very clean crisp IPA, but I wont be buying it again. Very lemon/pine strong taste. If I was a big fan of the West Coast clean crisp style I would enjoy this beer more. (558 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.