1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Enjoy By IPAEnjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,471 | Reviews: 922 | Show All Ratings:
mychalg9

2.53/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle on the "enjoy by" date of 9/21/12.

A - The pour looks great...a beautiful light copper color with a nice white head.

S - Not very good. Im getting some band-aid or medicine or onion smell that is not appealing AT ALL. I cant quite place what the smell is, but I dont like it.

T- Similar to the smell. The best part is the finish, which tastes like actual hops instead of poison. Getting some biscuit in there as well.

M - The best part of the beer. The tingle from the carbonation reminds me that I am, in actuality, drinking beer and not liquid Tylenol.

O - I was really looking forward to this and it is a huge letdown. I still have half a glass and the other half of the bomber to drink and I dont really even want it. Maybe they use Summit hops and Im getting the "oniony" thing that many people swear by? I dunno if that is the case because I really like Gubna, which supposedly is an "Onion bomb". Or maybe Stone made a mistake and should have called it "Enjoy by 9/20/12 "....

09-22-2012 03:53:54 | More by mychalg9
marzenfannm

New Mexico

2.63/5  rDev -40.6%

Tried this in a tasting at the beer store. Fruity and hoppy to be sure. A bit over the top for my personal preferences. Enjoy By 08-02-13 batch tasted during mid-July 2013.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.]

03-31-2014 02:06:09 | More by marzenfannm
jtierney89

2.65/5  rDev -40.2%

enjoy by 12/21/12 because if i dont the bottle will blow up right? thought about not drinking this till after the enjoy by date to be a prick but i needed a beer now.

Faded golden hue with a big sticky white head. Pungent west coast ipa nose, grapefruit, prominent sweet citrus fruit, and pine. Got a faint underlying tobacco smell as well with very faint sweet malts.

Tastes like an amped up stone ipa with a slicker body, more alcohol, more tannins, and less acidity. This beer is good but nowhere near out of the ordinary with the so called "freshness" not playing a role to me, i've had plenty of brews that taste as fresh as this one well beyond the maturity of this brew. I think the high ratings of this beer really come from the marketing that stone did. On the distribution and retail end of things, stone doesn't do much in the way of out coded beer for the consumer so I guess this is their way of moving through beer quicker without complaints. If this enjoy by series ever gets stale i'm sure stone will never really come personally pull them off the shelves and eat the costs.

12-05-2012 02:37:54 | More by jtierney89
CottomanEmpire

2.69/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

It's got a pretty good front, but that aftertaste is like dried orange peels and driftwood. Very hoppy, but not necessarily in a good way. You shouldn't say "finally" when you're finished...

Thinking maybe we got a bad batch, because the three (highly reviewed) beers we had at the establishment were all average at best.

08-27-2013 22:35:30 | More by CottomanEmpire
NewGlarusFan

2.74/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoy by 09-13-13 poured in Lunar Pint Glass

A) Very pretty looking beer, clear, light amber, carbination

S) Pine

T) I wonder if I got a bad bottle, too piney, no sweetness at all.

M) Oily, over carbinated

O) I did not like it, never had a pine bomb before and will never get it again. Sorry Stone

08-28-2013 13:22:02 | More by NewGlarusFan
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

2.91/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a shaker pint glass. 11-12-13 edition

The beer is a slightly foggy light honey color. An eggshell colored head recedes to a soapy film. Random light lacing on the glass.

Tasmanian hops? Smells like it. Sour, musty grapefruit, and onions. Lots of onions.

Tastes like Tasmanian hops. Grapefruit sourness, a cardboard kind of musty note. And onions.

The mouthfeel is not as heavy as 9.4% suggests.

Overall, I did not like this at all. There is an overwhelming taste of onions, and I find it offensive on the palate and nose. I will try the next Enjoy By and hope for more pine and no onion.

11-10-2013 03:44:54 | More by JuicesFlowing
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with two fingers of dense white head. Good retention, decent lacing.

S: Intense and complex hoppiness in the aroma of this beer. I get strong citrus followed by pine, resin, and onion. A bit of caramel sweetness shows up, but this beer certainly does not smell sweet.

T: Caramel sweetness comes out much more in the flavor than the aroma. Resiny hops come out with a bit of onion. Bitterness is quite strong. Booze is surprisingly also quite strong.

M: On the thick side with adequate carbonation.

O: A very nice aroma, but the hop flavor is muddled and booze is quite strong for the style.

04-25-2013 00:35:14 | More by coreyfmcdonald
Ryan011235

3.18/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 10/12/12

11.09.12

This is perhaps clearer than any IPA I've ever seen. The color is sort of an autumn orange with straw yellow highlights at the stem. One finger of bubbly white foam doesn't last long, leaving a soapy layer. Lace and bubbles hang across the glass.

I wouldn't have expected three days to do much damage, but the aroma isn't nearly as vibrant as when I sampled a bottle earlier in the week. While the first bottle had a wonderful, grapefruit and sugar beet aroma that was a perfect ratio of sweet citrus, the beer in my glass now has a fairly common grapefruit/pine combo and a light, biscuit/dough notion. To its credit, there nose is clean despite readily appreciable hop oils and resins. Alcohol is barely noticeable. At the risk of sounding cliche, you can smell the hops fade as you hold the glass.

The hops are a bit of a let down for the palate. Pine and prickly citrus are surprisingly one dimensional (though I hesitate to call it bland). The hops don't have the same zeal as the earlier bottle (or from the tap). Bitterness is moderately high. At least most of the flavor is still there. Thankfully, malts are sent to hiding; just some dusty biscuit and cracker notes.

The body is trim, maybe even thin, considering the style. Carbonation is rather light. While I generally like low carbonation, in this case it makes for a weak feel overall. It doesn't help that alcohol slickness trumps the hop oils.

My overall impression is that Enjoy By is pretty much a gimmick. Purposefully making a product that deteriorates rapidly and pushing distribution to get it across the country? Sounds like Stone has quit being arrogant and gone to being obnoxious. Nevertheless, sometimes gimmicks can turn out alright, which is the case here. At the very least, Stone should be commended for making a DIPA that isn't a complete sugary booze bomb.

10-15-2012 00:25:50 | More by Ryan011235
Jbats

3.21/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This years offerings so far have taken a serious nose dive! Had the release for Feb and now the March. Bittering is much milder and seems to be off balance now. Flavor is still solid but it is missing the 'grapey' (nelson sauvin?)finish I thought made this beer so unique. Dank hops are much more noticeable in this version. Not sure what has happened to the recipe or if hops used are no longer cost effective but it is not the awesome hop head offering it once was in 2013. Too bad this was definitely one of my favorite readily available IPA's in my area.

03-28-2014 17:35:07 | More by Jbats
TK5150

Maine

3.24/5  rDev -26.9%

Enjoy By 4.01.13

A- Pours golden yellow with an off-white head. Lots of lacing.

S- Lots of grapefruit, pine, and onion. Sweet underlying pineapple.

T- Big grapefruit, pine, and bitterness followed by a massive amount of spicy ONION with garlic. Hints of pineapple in the background, but everything takes a back seat to the onion. Dank, and not to sound crazy, but maybe a bit of cellar-like funk. I could see this beer going well with a dish containing sauteed onions.

M- Medium body and decently high carbonation. A bit of a kick to it.

O- Way too much onion, I won't be coming back for more. Bring back Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary :(.

03-02-2013 21:10:36 | More by TK5150
FFreak

Vermont

3.24/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Enjoy By 2/14/14 - Burlington, VT

A - beautiful light copper orange with thin light cream head that drops fairly soon

S - Some fruity hop smell, but a somewhat disconcerting and dominant oniony/garlicky aroma. I was not expecting that.

T - The onion/garlic aroma translates somewhat into the taste and did not do it for me. This fades somewhat as the beer warms

M - excellent body and mouthfeel

O - The dominance of the onion/garlic hop aroma and flavor are not what I appreciate in a good beer. This was very disappointing for me as I've heard so many positive reviews for this beer.

01-27-2014 19:41:50 | More by FFreak
kojevergas

3.28/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

"Enjoy By 04/01/13 IPA." Acquired last night at my local beer store. Identifies as a DIPA on the label. 9.4% ABV confirmed. Expectations are high given its reputation, but I'm not a big Stone fan. Still, I do enjoy some of their beers from time to time - which are often collaborations. Hm. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A good brief hiss as I opened it. No issues with beer surging out or anything.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, decent cream, nice thickness, and rather good (5+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Lacks the appealing froth I'd expect from the head of a good Imperial IPA. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a surprisingly pale yellow-copper; it lacks the vibrance of other good beers in the style. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Overall, it's above average but there's nothing unique or special here. Transparent and translucent.

Sm: A bit soapy, with assertive grapefruit but none of the grapefruit bite of inferior IIPAs. Floral and piney, with light nectary character. Sticky pale malts form the foundation and seem to be of good sweetness to balance the hops. Some oily hop notes. A pungent, pleasing aroma. Appealing if a bit too assertive. The soapiness bothers me, but hopefully it's just an aromatic flaw. A pleasant aroma of moderate strength. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Floral and nectary, with pleasant grapefruit throughout. Unfortunately, untamed bitterness strikes in the late second act and climax, joined by an unpleasant overly sweet malty character that unsuccessfully tries to hide it. Up front, it's refreshingly creamy just after the open - a great welcome to the refreshing pale malt body. Amplitude is relatively low, especially for the style. And light soapiness indicates this spent too long in primary. Little pine comes through - a missed opportunity. The intrusive bitterness really kills the balance, but it's not a severe issue. The beer is still pleasant throughout. It's got depth of flavour, but lacks complexity or subtlety. The finish feels weak and somewhat muted compared to the open and body. Structurally, then, it's a bit problematic. Some tame grassy character about the climax. Somewhat resiny in the second act. I don't get yeast character. There is a bit of alcohol presence, but it's by no means boozy or hot. All around an enjoyable beer in the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nicely nectary/oily. A touch overcarbonated - surprising for a beer so clearly intended to be consumed shortly after leaving the brewery. Palate presence is pretty good; I get all of the flavour easily. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: This Imperial IPA misses the most important feature of the style - balance. The bitterness is not well hidden enough. It's somewhat refreshing, but the presence of alcohol in the flavour profile reduces drinkability. I'm not impressed with the choices of hops either; the floral character feels generic, grapefruit is too prominent, and there's little pine. Additionally, the soapy character is a clear indicator of a brewing issue. Though this is one of the better beers I've had that's brewed by Stone alone, I definitely don't think it's worth seeking out. The gimmicky marketing doesn't affect my score, but it's definitely a trend I hope to see fade. Many will love this beer and defend that love with a curious argument about types of Imperial IPAs. So be it. I wish I enjoyed this as much as those individuals do, but I look for balance in every beer - regardless of style - and Imperial IPAs do not get special treatment because of an ostensible regional take on the style. (And while we're on the subject, Alpine and Port are both West Coast breweries that reliably churn out very balanced Imperial IPAs). In any case, Stone didn't fall as far from the mark as I anticipated when beginning to review this. Drinkable but not without its flaws. I won't be buying this again or recommending it to friends.

B-

02-28-2013 05:03:54 | More by kojevergas
MaxSpang

3.3/5  rDev -25.5%

Enjoy By 11.09.12. Poured in a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass for sexiness.

APPEARANCE

This is what those in the advertising business call "Sex Appeal". This beer just looks good. Crystal clear, yellow-orange-amber in color, resting under a slightly off-white head... Yeah, this is the kind of beer that makes mouths water. I love the look of a good IPA, and this beer has got that look. If this beer was a female, I would try my best to "holla". If this beer was a painting in an art gallery, I would stare at it intensely and occasionally nod my head so everyone around me knew how much I knew about art or whatever. If this beer was a Big Mac, it would be the one in the picture and not the one you get when you order it. If this beer was a... Ok, you get my point.

SMELL

There are definitely some New Zealand hops in the nose. Notes of grapes, flowers, mango, citrus, earthiness, and a smidge of everyone's favorite "cat pee" fill my nostrils. There is a deep, dank smell that reminds me of a quaint but "lived-in" basement which adds a bit of charm without being unpleasant. There's even a bit of hop spice aroma to even things out. There is a good amount of sweet malt, but there's no mistaking it - this beer is all about the hops.

TASTE

Follows the nose very closely. Once again, the first thing I notice is the deep, dank, resiny hop character. There is a bit more pine on the tongue than on the nose, which at first I feared would be the dominating character. As I sip, however, more of the citrus and tropical fruit comes out. The New Zealand hops make another appearance and bring some earthy grape notes with them. As far as bitterness goes, this beer is on the medium side. Sure, it's bitter, but it's not a tongue splitter (I rhymed!). There is almost no alcohol flavor whatsoever. This beer has a ridiculous amount of hop character, and there is a slight muddling of flavors which is a tad disappointing. Overall, this beer is pretty tasty but nothing I'll be craving.

MOUTHFEEL

The mouthfeel really is one of the highlights of this beer. The carbonation and body are both medium, and considering the ABV this beer is not a struggle to drink. The beer coats the mouth with hop resin - the kind that kind of makes you smack your tongue for no explicable reason.

OVERALL

You may have noticed that a word I didn't use in this review was "bright". If you did notice this, I would say "Wow, you were really expecting me to say that word!". Anyway, many IPAs have a bright, refreshing crispness that fellas like me go nuts over. This beer, however, has a somewhat muddled flavor that makes me feel like it's more of an English IPA than an American IPA, which is crazy talk considering all the American hop flavors. That's not to say this beer is bad, because it's not at all! It's really an excellently balanced IPA, and it drinks more like 6% than 9.4% ABV. That being said, I'm drinking this beer as fresh as possible and it still has a layer of "meh". Is it worth buying? Yes, absolutely! Is it the IPA to end all IPAs? Not this time. Don't feel too bad if you missed out on this one (or if you drank it on 11.10.12 or something).

Cheers!

10-11-2012 23:53:47 | More by MaxSpang
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.34/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison.

S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it's not quite to my preference for an IPA.

T: At first, there's some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it's some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there's a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn't strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it's not all bad, I guess.

I've got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown.

M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not 'as fuck', but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I'm reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable.

O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let's not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn't love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

03-10-2013 21:36:15 | More by ThisWangsChung
theteleman

3.34/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle picked up at Sprouts in Poway CA. Apperance is light golden with a pretty thin head upon pouring. Smells really fruity and hoppy. Very sweet smelling beer along with citrus notes and pine. Mouthfeel is thin. Taste…wow. Much sweeter then I was expecting! Not really any malt balance on this brew, very hop forward, but what else what you expect from a Stone IPA? I've been drinking lots of brown ales and stouts lately and this was my first IPA back from my malty phase, I enjoyed this brew but its almost a little TOO sweet for me personally. Hop heads should love this one.

01-25-2014 23:39:04 | More by theteleman
glazeman

3.35/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this tonight on-tap side-by-side with lunch from Maine. The lunch was sooo much better that it may influence my relatively low rating. This beer had a somewhat soapy taste and while there was a lot of hop bitterness up front, there wasn't too much balance. Also the smell was pretty run of the mill with some mediocre pine and citrus but nothing that really stood out. Maybe Stone advertising the freshness has led to this one being though of more highly than it should otherwise be. I will revisit in bottle form though.

03-28-2014 02:36:25 | More by glazeman
CommanderOfAwesome

3.38/5  rDev -23.7%

Stone Enjoy By 12.21.12 Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a golden color that is easily seen through. No head to speak of. Very slight lacing.

S: Lemon citrus and pine, very similar to Pliny smell. Very strong pine.

T: Very clean and crisp IPA. Nothing special IMO, I prefer a east coast IPA style and this is very clearly West Coast style.

M: Medium body, sweet, no carbonation.

O: Very clean crisp IPA, but I wont be buying it again. Very lemon/pine strong taste. If I was a big fan of the West Coast clean crisp style I would enjoy this beer more.

11-25-2012 18:07:41 | More by CommanderOfAwesome
StoutHunter

3.38/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

01-28-2014 04:42:25 | More by StoutHunter
beertunes

Washington

3.43/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is the Enjoy by 2/15/13. Served in 12oz tulip. Poured a very clean, clear medium gold color with about 3/4 inch of off-white head that had OK retention and good lacing.

The aroma featured a lot of piney hops, and had some citrus notes as well. There was no real malt in the aroma. The flavors were basically the same, many bright hops all across the tongue, no balancing malt flavors, and a bitter citrus finish.

The body was good, even and clean, but was a bit thin for my preferences. Drinkability was good, if you're in the mood for a nice IPA, you won't go wrong with a couple of these. Overall, a nice example of the style, but one that's not particularly special or notable. I suspect the high ratings here are partially the result of hype over the marketing gimmick. Worth trying if you see a batch.

01-29-2013 01:03:47 | More by beertunes
stonermouse

3.44/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Intrigued to try this one. The price point is tough to swallow, but I'm not regretting the plunge (yet). 11-12-13 version.

Poured into a goblet. Pours a nice cloudy orangy-yellow with very little carbonation. The head quickly disappears, even with a vigorous pour. Small amount of lacing.

Pleasant, surprisingly mellow aroma. The hop profile already seems a bit muddled, not quite sure what it wants to be. I'm having trouble teasing out anything distinctive.

The flavor gets a little more specific, with a rich apricot and mild pineapple flavor at the forefront. The alcohol has a decent bite, and borders on harsh. Usually I like this- here the booze tasted a little like it was spiked with a cheap vodka. It simply wasn't compatible.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly sticky, yet wicked dry. I don't really know what to make of it. I guess it slightly compliments the flavor profile, but it's not particularly pleasant in and of itself.

I don't want to call this a complete disappointment. But it's a beer that doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's dry, yet finishes sticky and a little sweet. The hop profile is slightly all over the place- some may call this "complex," but out of a world class IPA, I expect an identity. This is a nicely-made, well-rounded, strong-flavored, yet ultimately boring IPA.

10-29-2013 02:25:03 | More by stonermouse
FeDUBBELFIST

3.48/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

$6.00 for 10oz snifter
Kegged on 1.11.13, sampled 5 days later.

[A] One finger of bright white foamy head, moderate retention. The body is brightly clear and polished brassy orange in color. A minimal amount of lace slathers the glass. Very attractive.

[S] Starts off with juicy tropical fruits of orange, tangerine, and light papaya or mango. Then, summit-like qualities provide a faint but distinct aroma similar to onion grass and chives. Not digging it so much now personally, but my threshold for these aromas in IPAs is low. Begins at a '4.5' and drops a full point.

[T] Again, there is an initial burst of tropical hop character. A light melon flavor comes through on the back end. After the first few sips, the tropical blend all but disappears when the beer fully opens up. The beer is still pretty good, just not as impressive as it was just minutes ago.

[M] Medium full body, smooth, semi thick body, the carbonation kicks in at the perfect moment. The strength is well concealed for a gravity of this height. [Sidenote: 2.15.13 was listed at 9.2% instead of the 9.4% listed on BA.]

[O] Started out with a bang, but transformed and dropped off quickly. I had pours from two separate keg and my experience was the same each time.

02-03-2013 13:56:23 | More by FeDUBBELFIST

Freshness: Enjoy by 04-20-2014
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Tulip
Purchased: Single from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

A: Beer is a dark copper color, semi-clear. The off-white head has good retention and lacing.

S: Aromas are of citrus and piney hops, with grapefruit and also a green onion smell.

T: The taste features a big hoppy bitterness, very resinous and somewhat astringent. The green onion I noticed in the aroma is also present in the flavors.

M: Chewy mouthfeel with a high carbonation level. The finish is bitter and astringent.

O: Overall a good DIPA but seemed one dimensional with little malt presence. Also the green onion seemed like an off-flavor.

03-29-2014 03:15:28 | More by sommersb
mntlover

Tennessee

3.53/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale clear orange color with lots of bubbles sticking to my glass. Nice fluffy off white head that falls to a ring with some nice lace.

Aroma is bright citrus, pine fresh hops. Not much malts. Overall not what i would expect from Stone descent but not mind blowing.

Taste is like the aroma not much malts noticed just bright hops fruity mango, tobacco notes with pine resin notes in the finish. whole thing seems light for Stone even hops are not over the top body even seems light, would of never guessed this one was more then 6%.

Mouthfeel is light for a double IPA carbonation is light side.

Overall not bad just not as good as I was expecting.

01-29-2013 01:45:02 | More by mntlover
Lawl3ss

3.53/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Lightly chilled 22 oz bomber into a 12 oz stemless tulip. Enjoy by 4.1.13.

Look- Clear medium amber with two fingers of dense frothy eggshell head. Decent lacing, good retention.

Smell- Standard profile but well executed. Honey, biscuit, fir needles, mint. Bubblegum in the background. Swirling brings out a more resinous aroma.

Taste- Similar to the nose, but calmer. Strongly reminds me of Nugget Nectar. Floral, pine throughout, orange blossom honey, lingering grapefruit pith and modest bittering.

Mouthfeel- Full, chewy, medium carbonation. Light prickle, on the whole a substantial feel- on the hefty side.

Overall- I had this on tap about a week ago and enjoyed it much more than I'm feeling this bottle at the moment- I'm thinking it's just a bit undercarbonated. As it sits it's a better-than-average DIPA and it's well marketed, but it's just not capturing my attention. High price point, not quite as good as the Nugget leaves me wishing for more. Worth trying, nice to see a national release like this. I'd probably buy it again.

03-19-2013 05:18:00 | More by Lawl3ss
HattedClassic

3.54/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy By 11.12.13
Appearance:
The beer pours a decent and creamy white head. The beer itself a clear orange honey color but that is slightly foggy but that may be because of the glass.

Smell:
The smell has several types of hopes. One of them appears to be floral and another appears to be closer to a grapefruit smell. The sweet malts also make an appearance. Additionally, there also appears to be a bit of fresh grass smell as well.

Taste:
Very bitter hops dominate the taste palate and finish. Additionally, there also bits of alcohol that makes its way through. The malt makes a slight appearance but the hops are so bitter that it's hard to make it out.

Mouthfeel:
Very thick and heavy bodied. The finish feels heavy and lasts a bit that does not give it a very good feel.

Overall:
An okay DIPA under some circumstances but does not really do anything for me. Maybe I'll have to drink one of these earlier than the expiration date. Some people might like the Enjoy be a certain date DIPA gimmick but I'm not one of them.

11-12-2013 16:02:49 | More by HattedClassic
Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.