Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,423 | Reviews: 1,437

Hopefully I just got a bad batch, but this is the worst thing I have ever tasted. On tap at Point Blank Brewery.

1.8/5  rDev -59.4%

deli after hockey game really good!

2.34/5  rDev -47.2%

I love this beer but something is wrong with the 2/14/15 batch. Finish is like cat pee mixed with overly astringent booze finish. I never thought I would have to pour out the second half of an Enjoy By bomber, but that's what just happened. Currently drinking a dank imperial stout, but even that isn't killing the taste of this funk. Hopefully this is just a bad batch. I am going to have to return these other two bombers.

2.44/5  rDev -44.9%

Enjoy by 7-04-14 tasted on 6-7-14. So very fresh.
I really hate the smell. Smells like gruyere crust to me. I have had the same problem with several stone beers. Since so many love their beers I think that it is simply some kind of reaction with my palate. I don't get the fruity smell lots talk about. The taste is no as bad, but still taste like gruyere to me.
I had the same problem with the go to IPA (not as much though), ruination (more than with the "go to ipa"), the Gotterdammerung.
Must be something wrong with my palate (some reaction to the type of hops they use), so don't judge the beer by my review.

2.5/5  rDev -43.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle on the "enjoy by" date of 9/21/12.

A - The pour looks great...a beautiful light copper color with a nice white head.

S - Not very good. Im getting some band-aid or medicine or onion smell that is not appealing AT ALL. I cant quite place what the smell is, but I dont like it.

T- Similar to the smell. The best part is the finish, which tastes like actual hops instead of poison. Getting some biscuit in there as well.

M - The best part of the beer. The tingle from the carbonation reminds me that I am, in actuality, drinking beer and not liquid Tylenol.

O - I was really looking forward to this and it is a huge letdown. I still have half a glass and the other half of the bomber to drink and I dont really even want it. Maybe they use Summit hops and Im getting the "oniony" thing that many people swear by? I dunno if that is the case because I really like Gubna, which supposedly is an "Onion bomb". Or maybe Stone made a mistake and should have called it "Enjoy by 9/20/12 "....

2.59/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

"Devastatingly fresh"? Really?

Cmon the only thing that's going to be devastated is your dad when you tell him you're gay for IPA

2.63/5  rDev -40.6%

Tried this in a tasting at the beer store. Fruity and hoppy to be sure. A bit over the top for my personal preferences. Enjoy By 08-02-13 batch tasted during mid-July 2013.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.]

2.65/5  rDev -40.2%

enjoy by 12/21/12 because if i dont the bottle will blow up right? thought about not drinking this till after the enjoy by date to be a prick but i needed a beer now.

Faded golden hue with a big sticky white head. Pungent west coast ipa nose, grapefruit, prominent sweet citrus fruit, and pine. Got a faint underlying tobacco smell as well with very faint sweet malts.

Tastes like an amped up stone ipa with a slicker body, more alcohol, more tannins, and less acidity. This beer is good but nowhere near out of the ordinary with the so called "freshness" not playing a role to me, i've had plenty of brews that taste as fresh as this one well beyond the maturity of this brew. I think the high ratings of this beer really come from the marketing that stone did. On the distribution and retail end of things, stone doesn't do much in the way of out coded beer for the consumer so I guess this is their way of moving through beer quicker without complaints. If this enjoy by series ever gets stale i'm sure stone will never really come personally pull them off the shelves and eat the costs.

2.7/5  rDev -39.1%

01/26/14 From bottle labeled 01/09/14. Can't get much fresher than that outside the brewpub. That being said I wasn't knocked out.

In fairness I never was much of a hops fan and this follows the Stone model of catering to that taste. Pine was the flavor of note but the lack of depth was striking. I applaud the effort, but no cigar.

2.72/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

I am not enjoying this beer, but I don't know why

2.75/5  rDev -37.9%

I got a 32 ounce growler of this because I'm such a fan of Stone. I sampled it before I bought it and thought it tasted pretty good. I poured into a frozen pint glass. By the time I finished it had a hint of a unpleasant taste. By the time I finished the growler, it was downright gross. I won't be having anymore of that.

2.8/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

It's got a pretty good front, but that aftertaste is like dried orange peels and driftwood. Very hoppy, but not necessarily in a good way. You shouldn't say "finally" when you're finished...

Thinking maybe we got a bad batch, because the three (highly reviewed) beers we had at the establishment were all average at best.

2.8/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoy by 09-13-13 poured in Lunar Pint Glass

A) Very pretty looking beer, clear, light amber, carbination

S) Pine

T) I wonder if I got a bad bottle, too piney, no sweetness at all.

M) Oily, over carbinated

O) I did not like it, never had a pine bomb before and will never get it again. Sorry Stone

2.82/5  rDev -36.3%

can not believe this has such high ratings! This was GROSS! I would have to be wasted to drink any more! Bitter strong, horrible after taste. Not smooth!!

2.86/5  rDev -35.4%

Enjoy by 7-4-14 model

Pours a clear light amber with nice finger and a half of loosely bubbled head that is persistent and leaves a great lacing. Nose is grapefruit and most notable, tons of tropical fruit especially mango/papaya, maybe even some peach mixed in. Extremely fruity. Taste, unfortunately for me, follows the nose pretty close. I don't know the type of hops off hand but there's a hit of hoppy, piney bitterness and then another assault of tropical fruit. Mouthfeel is what it should be, nothing to brag or gripe about. Overall, there's waaay too much of the tropical fruit sweetness for me. I just don't "enjoy" it. I'll still buy the next one though because this series from Stone is generally one I enjoy.

2.93/5  rDev -33.9%

poured from a 22 into a pint gass

A: poured from a 22. Looks nice and clean, like it will have great hop flavor. Leaves nice lacing along the whole glass. looks very appealing.

S: Smells like citrus and pine, just what I'd expect form an ipa. The smell leaves with an aftertaste of onions which I'm not so keen about.

T: Taste follow the nose, unfortunately the onion taste overpowers the beautiful west coast IPA
flavors. The citrus and pine are there, but overshadowed by onion. There is a nice bitterness, but still overshadowed by onion. If you hate onions as much as I do maybe you'll agree.

M: Good, medium body. nice carbonation. Feels like it should.

O: Was very excited to try this one, but after having 3 separate brews I have decided to give this one a pass in the future. Too much hype, too much onion.

An interesting IPA for the holidays

I really enjoyed the 10-31-14. I would give it 10-31-14 a 4.5.

The 12-26-14 not so much. Missing are citrus smells. It smelled more like an wet sock with a slight hint of skunk. And the taste wasn't much better. I actually poured the 2nd half down the drain.

i enjoy a, lot of stone beer, however not this one, it is a GOOD beer but only good, i dont go out of way to look for it

3.04/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Far too hoppy for my palate.

3.05/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Not my style, too much bitterness

3.08/5  rDev -30.5%

I have had too many bad ones of the enjoy by's to give them any better of a rating.

3.1/5  rDev -30%

had on tap, smell was good but taste was way too bitter, maybe this was a bad batch

3.14/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not worth all the hype

3.21/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 10/12/12

11.09.12

This is perhaps clearer than any IPA I've ever seen. The color is sort of an autumn orange with straw yellow highlights at the stem. One finger of bubbly white foam doesn't last long, leaving a soapy layer. Lace and bubbles hang across the glass.

I wouldn't have expected three days to do much damage, but the aroma isn't nearly as vibrant as when I sampled a bottle earlier in the week. While the first bottle had a wonderful, grapefruit and sugar beet aroma that was a perfect ratio of sweet citrus, the beer in my glass now has a fairly common grapefruit/pine combo and a light, biscuit/dough notion. To its credit, there nose is clean despite readily appreciable hop oils and resins. Alcohol is barely noticeable. At the risk of sounding cliche, you can smell the hops fade as you hold the glass.

The hops are a bit of a let down for the palate. Pine and prickly citrus are surprisingly one dimensional (though I hesitate to call it bland). The hops don't have the same zeal as the earlier bottle (or from the tap). Bitterness is moderately high. At least most of the flavor is still there. Thankfully, malts are sent to hiding; just some dusty biscuit and cracker notes.

The body is trim, maybe even thin, considering the style. Carbonation is rather light. While I generally like low carbonation, in this case it makes for a weak feel overall. It doesn't help that alcohol slickness trumps the hop oils.

My overall impression is that Enjoy By is pretty much a gimmick. Purposefully making a product that deteriorates rapidly and pushing distribution to get it across the country? Sounds like Stone has quit being arrogant and gone to being obnoxious. Nevertheless, sometimes gimmicks can turn out alright, which is the case here. At the very least, Stone should be commended for making a DIPA that isn't a complete sugary booze bomb.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.