Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,307 | Hads: 9,811
3.66/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This poured very nicely, with good head retention, and a nice coppery color. from there I got a floral hop aroma and some caramel notes. Flavor was fine. Standard high-hopped American IPA. This was an OK beer for me, but I'm not sure what the fuss is. I wonder if some of the oooh and ahhh might be because in general Stone makes great beer. This is not a great beer. It's a good beer, in the current tradition of "more hops = better beer." I went from this one to a Bear Republic Racer 5, which I love.

3.67/5  rDev -16.6%

Enjoy by 11-09-12

I have very little to say about this beer except that it was nothing special. Average beer at most and that I have plenty of better options available year round.

A- pours a murky golden color with a thin head with almost no lacing.

S-musty? Pine and resin. Pineapple and gasoline. A mix of things that do not mix well together.

T-complete pine and resin simcoe bomb. I can't taste anything else.

M-for what it's worth this is a smooth beer. Easy going down, creamy and drinkable.

O-I am glad to have tried this but I guess I was expecting something a little better. The flavor was just nothing unique. If you are going to give a beer so much hype and it's own website it needs to deliver something unique. This reminded me of a slightly more piney weyerbacher double simcoe.

3.67/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 9-13-13 is pretty good. Highly recommended. Get yor hands on it.

A. Clear amber. Nice foamy head with decent lacing.

S. Very piney and hoppy but nice.

T. Like the aroma but stronger. Very very piney. Super fresh beer. The after taste isn't very strong like some IPAs.

M. Very easy. Doesn't coat the palette and is not thick at all. Very smooth beer and goes down very easily.

O. I will enjoy getting more Enjoy Bys in the future. Great job Stone.

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Stone pairing glass (short-stemmed goblet)

Pours a deep gold with amber hues topped with a two finger bright white head. Significant splotchy lacing as the head recedes. Notes of tropical fruit on the nose, especially pineapple and mango and flora. Pineapple is the dominant flavor throughout with accents of papaya with a fairly sweet hefty malt presence. Finishes sweet with grapefruit rind bitterness. Heavy malt backbone, medium carbonation and silky, smooth on the palate. A solid DIPA from Stone, but certainly not heads or tails above others, and tends to be more of the same and is a bit overly sweet. Personally, I prefer a finish that is a bit drier, and the finish on this brew is about as sweet and fruity as one can find, with the usual grapefruit rind bitterness. Frankly this brew is a bit unbalanced, and those that prefer sweeter characteristics in their DIPA's will certainly be all over this one.

3.69/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 07.04.14

My first enjoy by beer from Stone.

Beer pours a brilliantly clear amber with a full, frothy inch and a half of ecru colored foam. Beautiful sticky lacing as I empty my glass.

The scent is absolutely fresh. Smells like sniffing a fresh bag of hops from hop union on brew day. Hops consist of pine, grapefruit and a wonderful dank earthiness. Very hop forward in the nose.

The taste begins with a smooth citrus flavor and fades towards a caramel sweetness. Any sweetness is brief and gives way to a very bitter citrus finish. The taste lacks the layers of complexity found in the nose.

The beer is medium bodied and an appropriate level of carbonation. The high level of alcohol is well hidden.

Overall an enjoyable beer. I think I enjoy the concept and push for fresh beer more than the beer itself. That said, it is very good, yet not something I would hord or seek out.

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

Edit 2015, over a year later I got to try Enjoy by 4/20/15, this is much better than the first Enjoy by I had, while it still has some green onion aspects to it, the fruity hops stick out the most and I enjoy it. I bumped up the score to reflect this batch, while still keeping other batch in mind.

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 10.31.15 bottled on 9.26.15 and consumed on 10.01.15

Look: Amber color, quite clear, with a inch or so of foam that dissipated rather quickly leaving lacing. 4.25

Smell: Hoppy, with a very slight fruity aroma, followed by a pungent smell that is a little less than appealing. 3.5

Taste: The taste starts with heavy hops, then shift to an earthy grassy flavor immediately. The resin taste then comes into play alongside lemon, with a very very slight citrus note that can be easily missed as the hops begin to dominate the aftertaste. Overall very grassy and a bitterness that tastes slightly burnt. 3.5

Feel: Some carbonation but not too much, goes down smooth and has a good body. 4.5

Overall: I was expecting it to be better, not into the heavy grass lemon mix. 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of citrus hops, floral hops, sweet malt, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, hops oils, slight floral hops, slight sweet malt, slight alcohol, hint of earthy malt, and a hint of grass. Overall, decent appearance, good aroma, good body, and decent complexity.

3.71/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Although being the same beer everytime (just new batches) just like evrything else at Stone, its consistent. I enjoyed the Hoppiness without the distraction of so much bitterness, which was a bit wierd for a stone beer. I was expecting a booze bomb but its actually very balanced. A very smooth 9.4% abv.

3.71/5  rDev -15.7%

1624th Review on BA
Bottle to Parra Tulip

Enjoy by 12.21.12
Purchased from Party House Liquor, Chino Hills, CA

App- This was a very nice deep and bursting orange. The density was fairly light and had a bit of darker edges to it. You could say it was turning into an amber around the edges with some yellows smattered in. The head was a wonderful 2-1/2 finger dense and compact white. Huge amounts of lace and stick. Would say its up there with best I've seen.

Smell- There was a good amount of deep citrus in the glass with the aromas coming up with a bit of sweet creme, oranges, pine, resin and a backing malty note that was well integrated and not overpowering.

Taste- Well I read the forum about the flavors you never got and said Ive never gotten that garlic thing, well I do know. This was flavorful but the hops used in combination with certain malts gave me a good duality of flavors. Rich citrus and dense at times but creeping in was a light garlic and scallion flavor. Was a bit off to me, but the rest of the beer was pretty good to balance it out.

Mouth- This was a fairly dense medium body with a good amount of carbonation behind it. The residual flavors on this were the deep citrus and the garlic and onion flavors.

Drink- A tasty beer, but no where near what I was thinking. It was semi balanced and flavorful, but I thought this would be a 10th and 16th killer. The garlic and scallion just didnt work for me.

3.72/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Copper brown tone, clear filtered, a little large bubbled carbonation, a finger of creamy off white head that fades relatively fast.

S: Tropical fruits, mango, passion fruit, light cleaning alcohol, tea leaves, a hint of malt an offal.

T: Fruity in a tropical fruit concoction sort of way, citrus, floral perfume like purple lilac, wild grape, clean linen, light almost tea like bitterness on the end. Really covers the alcohol and is light in its feel.

M: Medium body with lots of light foamy carbonation, leaving a slightly powdery resinous finish.

O: Bought this today at Trader Joe’s near Williamsburg, VA. Drank tonight near Raleigh, NC. Certainly fresh. Not the best double IPA I’ve had, but good in it's mouth feel, very much hiding the alcohol. Good and fresh, and unique carbonation for this style.

3.73/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a 14oz glass at Heartbreakers in Chaska

Overall I've loved the Enjoy by series. But I feel that they are getting a little too mainstream with the taste. Some of the previous ones have been some of my favorite beers. The last two I've had have left me wanting more from this great beer company.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Stone balloon glass. 7-04-15 edition.

Look: The beer is a clear rich honey color. An eggshell colored head recedes to a thick soapy film. Random light lacing on the glass.

Aroma: The beer seems to have a nice malt backbone, but that is immediately covered in spicy hops. There's hints of dry cedar, and only maybe some onion, but the onion note seems to be a non-issue. Dry, spicy, earthy hops in the finish.

Taste: Much like the aroma but midway through very bitter grapefruit rind emerges. There is a lot of dry, spicy heat from the alcohol content. Finishes really bitter.

Mouthfeel: Pretty heavy. This is a sipper for sure.

Overall, I updated my review to the latest batch. There was little or no onion element to this beer unlike the last one I had which was 11-12-13 edition. This is a good bitter, thick, strong IPA.

3.74/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 4-20.

Definitely dank! Smooth hoppy bite and subtle bitter aftertaste. Enjoyed in a standard pint glass right at 40 degrees over the course of 45-50 minutes. I got more hops as it warmed to room temperature. Solid IPA and I look forward to the next installment in the series.

3.74/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Enjoy by 5.17.13

Appearance - a very slightly hazed golden brew with two fingers of white manila foam. Very sticky, lacy ropes and clumps all around, the head recedes to about a half-finger and is holding.

Aroma - fresh orange, mango, lemon, with a piney edge. Pine and some biscuity malts emerge as the beer sets up.

Taste - good biscuity malt base, hops moving in without delay as expected. Some light fruitiness, grapefruit pith mostly, though not as much as expected given the citrusy sniff. The character here is more piney, with some pungency in the exhale. Gets dry and has a more pronounced bitterness on the swallow and aftertaste, edging into medicinal territory. The finish is a bit harsher than I prefer, but the intent here is to showcase the hop, not necessarily balance. No trace of the 9.4%.

Mouthfeel - pretty crisp, though not as big a body as I would have thought for a DIPA.

Overall - glad to have tried it and worth chasing down having missed it the last few go-rounds. but not one I would continue to pursue, unless of course they vary up the recipe each time, then it would be interesting to compare the different batches.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice strong beer, lots of flavor and alc but it's kind of expensive. It's about $3 for a 12oz bottle which would make you think i'ts up there with the big dogs well it might be for lots of people but not for me maybe it's because I haven't much high alc tolerance but it just seems like the overall it's something that doesn't fit my agenda. I like by beer a little easier to drink since I live where the climate is hot most of the time so I appreciate something that is not as strong so it goes down easy and I can cool off. It's good to have at least once though to get a feel for robust beer which in my opinion this is.

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

A citrus forward IPA from Stone that doesn't stand out to me. All earth and citrus and hop profile that doesn't have the dimensions of a lot of the strong DIPA's out there. Has a puckering bite but not much else going on or lingering in the aftertaste.

Definitely highly drinkable for the 9% ABV which is great but the flavors don't really grab me or make this one memorable. This isn't a beer that will knock your socks off. It's a solid strong IPA but too similar to Stone's other releases to be anything special.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 12.13.13, which means bottled 11.08.13 (so a month old).
Grapefruit dominates, along with pine. Not as tropical as you might expect from a SoCal IPA. A little bit of skunkiness. In the finish, that oily sensation from too much hops, medium finish. Bitterness lingers. It's a good beer, and fresh, but it's a bit too harsh for me. I might try this again though if I can get it under 2 weeks old.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing Enjoy By 4/20/14. Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Dark golden orange sun kissed copper, an even cloudiness keeps it from being completely transparent. As it warms, it clears. White head, fades fast, little to no lacing.

Pine tar on the nose mixing with fresh citrus and a touch of sweet tropics fill the nose.

First sip...medium carbonation...an extremely creamy mouthfeel but watery too? Peaches up front mix with the sweetness of honey. Rounds out with some caramel and green pine and a quick bitter finish. A warm alcohol lingers on the throat...white pepper on the tongue.

I'm a big fan of double IPAs (my favorite style) and was really looking forward to this beer...my first Enjoy By. I've read the reviews and comments in the forums...and must say I'm disappointed. I've let it warm and sipped it slow but something is off? It's not much older than a week, so freshness isn't the problem. Seems a little to watery for a double, a little lighter in color than I'm use too...those things I can live with but there is an "off" flavor that I'm not familiar with...charcoal? Maybe I just don't like "dank"? I guess my expectations were so high I'm trying to find excuses why I think this is only good and not great...it is what it is...for me...good but not great.

Im so surprised at my review's outcome I will try one more Enjoy By in the future and comment further.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

04.20.15 consumed on 04.11.15 so I get the freshness angle, but refrigeration is not to be overlooked when preserving IPA's. Nice lacing and good balance between the citrus and bitterness although sort of a sweet fruit forward in the front end. Taste of orange juice stands out in front and not as much "devastatingly dank" as advertised on the label. ABV seems well hidden. I'm not sure if î is really hidden or is it the Lupulin River I had a half hour before. Still a good but not great IPA.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is quite a beer. The smell is fresh dank piney grapefruit hops. Some noticable onion smell. The taste is a bit sweet wih some bitter citrus. Very flavorful and the alcohol is well hidden. nb

3.77/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lager-clear golden color with a quickly attenuating off-white head. The nose is comprised of BIG citrus and pine. Once the beer settles, hop resin breaks through. The mouthfeel is peculiar and affected more than I like by the flavor. Mouthfeel should accentuate the flavor, the flavor shouldn't molest the mouthfeel. When first pulled into the mouth, there's a pleasing fullness that quickly is overtaken by the harsh hop burn and sting of carbonation for which Stone is so famous/infamous. Strong, resiny pine flavor that is, oddly enough, balanced with the grain bill. I'm not sure how much grain it would require to balance this hop assault, but they've figured it out. Another disappointment for me. Stone is just not in my wheelhouse.

3.78/5  rDev -14.1%

Those crazy guys at Stone. First they tell mi I'm not worthy, then they tell me when to drink my beer. It's mine now, I bought it. Sure it was yours back then but this is now. So I drink this NOW of my own choice, not through any Stone coercion cause I don't play that game if you know what I'm sayin'.

Bomber poured into a globe glass after a bit of warming from fridge temp. Pours a clear golden with a nice boil of carbonation from the base. Offers a nearly white cap which shows decent retention and light lace.

Nose of citrus, pine and a hint of shallot/onion but subtle in that regard. Not picking up on the tropical notes at all. Lightly bitter and subtle as the bitterness lingers through the finish.

Flavor tends back towards the citric hops in the mix. Quite light in the malt substance yet the ABV is deceptive nonetheless. Good taste but not earth shattering by any means. Decent feel with a moderate linger of the light malts and a good spritzy carb. level. Overal a bit mixed. Good but not worth the media nor the price.

3.78/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden orange color. Nice head retention and lacing. Nothing extraordinary to look at.

Nose: A total blast of piney hops. Wet, first pine. some tiny alcohol and medicinal notes in the middle, with some mustard and malt at the end.

Taste: Great mouthfeel, and a perfectly balanced malt foundation. This is what a big IPA should feel like. Tastes like pine, citrus, ginger, sweet toffee, and a tiny bit of aspirin at the end.

Notes: Beer is always best fresh, and I commend the effort behind getting this beer to market. I don't care if others feel it is a marketing gimmick, it brings super fresh beer to my liquor store and I will not complain about that.

Notes 2: Mouthfeel is fantastic!

3.79/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint.

Appearance: Slight haze, golden color, moderate off white head, head fades slightly but does not disappear

Smell: spicy, dank & slightly floral, low grassiness. Med grainy malt sweetness in background - but clean bready malt, no heavy caramel sweetness.

Taste: primarily spicy/ herbal with a little tropical/ citrus, and a background note of that weird but lovely gooseberry licorice Nelson sauv thing. Fantastic hop profile, interesting, clean, and for the most part spicy and dank. Malt character is perfect for this style, light grainy malt w low to no caramel or excessive complexity. Dry and well attenuated. Possibly some wheat or touch of oats in here, I get a flavor associated with low-adjunct beers like Lag SUCKS. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: medium/ med-full but fairly clean on finish. alcohol noticeable but not in the way.

Overall: A nice full bodied hop encounter with the humulous lupous characters I like. Spicy, dank. Love the spicy hops with a touch of citrus/ tropical funk. Love the dating concept, especially since I spend so much time searching for dates on other hoppy beers. The last one Enjoy by 4/20/14 here in NYC was not so good - hops had faded and beer came across as astringent, sharply pine with some other odd flavors. But I dig this new installment.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.