Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,400 | Reviews: 1,428
3.5/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The freshness certainly brings out the best qualities of the style but the flavor profile doesn't stand out from most IPAs, you get your normal grapefruit and pine and other hop-forward flavors but nothing special.

Tasted On: 03-28-2014
Freshness: Enjoy by 04-20-2014
Packaging: 22 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Tulip
Purchased: Single from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

A: Beer is a dark copper color, semi-clear. The off-white head has good retention and lacing.

S: Aromas are of citrus and piney hops, with grapefruit and also a green onion smell.

T: The taste features a big hoppy bitterness, very resinous and somewhat astringent. The green onion I noticed in the aroma is also present in the flavors.

M: Chewy mouthfeel with a high carbonation level. The finish is bitter and astringent.

O: Overall a good DIPA but seemed one dimensional with little malt presence. Also the green onion seemed like an off-flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -21%

Enjoy by 12/26/14. Skunky, funky...which is not always bad, but in this case it was a bit much. Would not buy this date again but love the concept and Stone is solid, so will try future offerings.

3.51/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

$6.00 for 10oz snifter
Kegged on 1.11.13, sampled 5 days later.

[A] One finger of bright white foamy head, moderate retention. The body is brightly clear and polished brassy orange in color. A minimal amount of lace slathers the glass. Very attractive.

[S] Starts off with juicy tropical fruits of orange, tangerine, and light papaya or mango. Then, summit-like qualities provide a faint but distinct aroma similar to onion grass and chives. Not digging it so much now personally, but my threshold for these aromas in IPAs is low. Begins at a '4.5' and drops a full point.

[T] Again, there is an initial burst of tropical hop character. A light melon flavor comes through on the back end. After the first few sips, the tropical blend all but disappears when the beer fully opens up. The beer is still pretty good, just not as impressive as it was just minutes ago.

[M] Medium full body, smooth, semi thick body, the carbonation kicks in at the perfect moment. The strength is well concealed for a gravity of this height. [Sidenote: 2.15.13 was listed at 9.2% instead of the 9.4% listed on BA.]

[O] Started out with a bang, but transformed and dropped off quickly. I had pours from two separate keg and my experience was the same each time.

3.53/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale clear orange color with lots of bubbles sticking to my glass. Nice fluffy off white head that falls to a ring with some nice lace.

Aroma is bright citrus, pine fresh hops. Not much malts. Overall not what i would expect from Stone descent but not mind blowing.

Taste is like the aroma not much malts noticed just bright hops fruity mango, tobacco notes with pine resin notes in the finish. whole thing seems light for Stone even hops are not over the top body even seems light, would of never guessed this one was more then 6%.

Mouthfeel is light for a double IPA carbonation is light side.

Overall not bad just not as good as I was expecting.

3.53/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I didnt plan to review this one, just a rating, but I am typing words now because it has required me to. A 3.53 rating justifies a review??!! That is still above average. "Good" by the scoring system. Must have to have a minimum of 4 since it is a Stone beer. Sorry

3.54/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

They used an onion hop, either CZT or Nelson, and I'm sorry but I don't want onions or garlic in my beer. Just my opinion, sorry IPA geeks.

3.55/5  rDev -19.9%

I understand there is a huge demand right now for Double IPA hop assault beers. And Stone’s masterful play to this demand with the Enjoy By series has to be appreciated. They are not just playing to the market, they are also making multiple crazy hop balanced, big IPAs, that make your palate ride that sharp toothy edge of huge IBUs without drawing blood. If you know how to brew, you know it’s not easy to do.

Appearance 3.5: Slightly warm, glowing, golden color. Medium, white, lasting head. Laces well.

Aroma 3.5: Hop characters come across as pine tips, eucalyptus blossom, chamomile, and dank musky sage. A little wet alfalfa. No malt characters to speak of.

Taste 3.5: Aggressive peppery pine bittering. Most of the citrus peel and floral aromas are from the hop aromas invading the taste space. Malt provides a blank canvas only, carries no character to speak of.

Mouthfeel 3.0: Medium light body. Hop oil slippery to start – turns fast to astringent and bitter/dry. Alcohol heat and astringent hop bitterness finish in the mouth and throat. Somewhat medicinal.

Overall impression 4.0: This is a liquid delivery system for hop bitterness, astringency, and flavor. It stands back on balance in delivering fresh hop aroma. Other than to provide a carriage for hop characters, the malt and yeast profiles are nonexistent. I rate the overall higher for the novelty of a clean, dry, and very Stone execution of a hop assault. It reminds me of Pliny the Younger – where PTY is a laser beam focused hop weapon, this Enjoy By is a polished hop boulder to the palate. Another well done hop monster from Stone.

I get it, it’s a fun ride – but still, I’m a balance and nuance guy.

-- bct

3.56/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy By 11.12.13
Appearance:
The beer pours a decent and creamy white head. The beer itself a clear orange honey color but that is slightly foggy but that may be because of the glass.

Smell:
The smell has several types of hopes. One of them appears to be floral and another appears to be closer to a grapefruit smell. The sweet malts also make an appearance. Additionally, there also appears to be a bit of fresh grass smell as well.

Taste:
Very bitter hops dominate the taste palate and finish. Additionally, there also bits of alcohol that makes its way through. The malt makes a slight appearance but the hops are so bitter that it's hard to make it out.

Mouthfeel:
Very thick and heavy bodied. The finish feels heavy and lasts a bit that does not give it a very good feel.

Overall:
An okay DIPA under some circumstances but does not really do anything for me. Maybe I'll have to drink one of these earlier than the expiration date. Some people might like the Enjoy be a certain date DIPA gimmick but I'm not one of them.

3.58/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Lightly chilled 22 oz bomber into a 12 oz stemless tulip. Enjoy by 4.1.13.

Look- Clear medium amber with two fingers of dense frothy eggshell head. Decent lacing, good retention.

Smell- Standard profile but well executed. Honey, biscuit, fir needles, mint. Bubblegum in the background. Swirling brings out a more resinous aroma.

Taste- Similar to the nose, but calmer. Strongly reminds me of Nugget Nectar. Floral, pine throughout, orange blossom honey, lingering grapefruit pith and modest bittering.

Mouthfeel- Full, chewy, medium carbonation. Light prickle, on the whole a substantial feel- on the hefty side.

Overall- I had this on tap about a week ago and enjoyed it much more than I'm feeling this bottle at the moment- I'm thinking it's just a bit undercarbonated. As it sits it's a better-than-average DIPA and it's well marketed, but it's just not capturing my attention. High price point, not quite as good as the Nugget leaves me wishing for more. Worth trying, nice to see a national release like this. I'd probably buy it again.

3.58/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4-20-14 Enjoy By

A- fairly clear (a tad hazy), copper, orange hue. Appealing.

S- excellent nose. Pine!!!! Some grass, too. Some floral notes to boot.

T- big full wallop of resin (and that pine), lingers throughout. Bitter soon follows and strengthens at the end. Didn't note much of the citrus thing, unfortunately, compared to some the other reviews.

M- big, full, dry.

O- I'm a sucker for Stone (love Ruination!), and easily fall prey to the "enjoy by" campaign, so I'm a lock to try each offering. Not sure how long they've been doing this (started last year, I think), but I really, really liked the one I had in '13. That said, I'm glad I bought the 4-20-14. I "enjoyed" it, but won't be picking up another. A quality IPA, indeed, but not worth another round. Look forward to future offerings.

Cheers all!

3.59/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

It poured relatively flat and had no real lacing. The beer had a nice citrus smell. It was well balanced for an ABV of 9.4 percent, as the taste of alcohol was not over whelming. Definitely warming after a few sips. It just was not one of my favorites.

3.6/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Maybe it me, but all Stone beers have a similar "tinge" to them.

3.6/5  rDev -18.7%

Hop heads delight, as it says on the bottle it is devistingly dank. Almost a palette wrecker

3.61/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing the 12/13/13. Aroma: Very herby, slightly metallic, resinous and skunky. Appearance: clear gold, little carbonation and nearly any foam. Very dry, off bitterness. notes of cinnamon, spice, herbs, resin and biscuit are available. Not too much citrus available. Overall, one of the more basic/standard Enjoy By's I have experienced. Not bad. Bitter, alcohol filled, dry.

3.62/5  rDev -18.3%

2.14.14

Poured into a tulip. Crystal clear golden orange with a finger of head.

Scent of dry piney hops, as per ushe, and a hint of sweetness that's tough to describe.

Different kind of bitterness here. More orange than grapefruit. Can't put my finger on it, maybe it's those New Zealand hops. Not as bitter as anticipated. Actually a tiny bit sour, interesting. A bit let down by the bitterness, but it makes up for it with the complexity of it. The more I drink of it the more orange I'm getting. Gets better as it warms.

Thin and drinkable with an aftertaste that hits periodically after the sip.

Overall a solid IPA, not in my top 10, but earns points for surprising me with something different in an IPA.

3.62/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by valentines. Had it on 2/21, so not exactly following the rules.

Slightly peppery nose. Grassy like all good rogue beers. Very cloudy. Love'n it

3.63/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful pour from 22oz into pub glass. Golden Color nice lacing and decent head. Complex hops on the nose citrus and some onion dank like pleasant fresh smell. Heavy alcohol mouthfeel. No real carbonation. A sweaty strong too bitter unbalanced finish which is the only part of this I didn't love. Really don't understand the devotion to this series as its not Stone's best. Stone Ruination IPA even thought higher in IBU finishes so much cleaner than this.

3.63/5  rDev -18.1%

Not my favorite of the series

3.64/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from bomber into a pint glass following a 4 hour chill. Thanks to Sol Markets for selling their 2nd to last bottle.

A - Clear filtered IPA with darker orange hue. Fair head is slighty off white and has oddly large bubbles?

S - People could smell this from across the house. Very nice piney hop smell, some grapefruit and citrus present but not as much as I would expect. A little booze in the nose too.

T - Strong piney bitterness per the nose it opens up in the back of the palate with quite a depth of hoppy flavors. Most IPA's don't have this many types of hops, though I think the complexity takes away from the beer a little. Somewhat ruinous in that your palate just can't detect the hops on your 3rd sip like they can on the first.

M - Somewhat thin given the high booze to malty ratio. Goes down smooth but I'd like just a little more heft to it.

O - Somewhat disappointing overall actually. Nice and fresh yes, but nothing that is instantly seared in your brain like an Alpine Duet or BP Sculpin or Surly Furious. Albeit I am spoiled by fresh So Cal IPA's all day, everyday but this wasn't something I would rush out to buy again. Its basically Ruination with a different hop bill late in the boil.

Still, I gotta hand it to Stone for the concept here. The majors all tout bottle dating and such, but its high time attention is brought to skunky craft brews that have sat on store shelves too long...

3.64/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

I had some Enjoy by 4/20/15 earlier this year in early April. Was able to pick up a bomber from the local Meijers. I am not a fan of this beer. It really did nothing for me. Aroma was blah. Taste was blah too. I tasted watered down.

3.66/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This poured very nicely, with good head retention, and a nice coppery color. from there I got a floral hop aroma and some caramel notes. Flavor was fine. Standard high-hopped American IPA. This was an OK beer for me, but I'm not sure what the fuss is. I wonder if some of the oooh and ahhh might be because in general Stone makes great beer. This is not a great beer. It's a good beer, in the current tradition of "more hops = better beer." I went from this one to a Bear Republic Racer 5, which I love.

3.67/5  rDev -17.2%

Enjoy by 11-09-12
Bomber

I have very little to say about this beer except that it was nothing special. Average beer at most and that I have plenty of better options available year round.

A- pours a murky golden color with a thin head with almost no lacing.

S-musty? Pine and resin. Pineapple and gasoline. A mix of things that do not mix well together.

T-complete pine and resin simcoe bomb. I can't taste anything else.

M-for what it's worth this is a smooth beer. Easy going down, creamy and drinkable.

O-I am glad to have tried this but I guess I was expecting something a little better. The flavor was just nothing unique. If you are going to give a beer so much hype and it's own website it needs to deliver something unique. This reminded me of a slightly more piney weyerbacher double simcoe.

3.67/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 9-13-13 is pretty good. Highly recommended. Get yor hands on it.

A. Clear amber. Nice foamy head with decent lacing.

S. Very piney and hoppy but nice.

T. Like the aroma but stronger. Very very piney. Super fresh beer. The after taste isn't very strong like some IPAs.

M. Very easy. Doesn't coat the palette and is not thick at all. Very smooth beer and goes down very easily.

O. I will enjoy getting more Enjoy Bys in the future. Great job Stone.

3.68/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Stone pairing glass (short-stemmed goblet)

Pours a deep gold with amber hues topped with a two finger bright white head. Significant splotchy lacing as the head recedes. Notes of tropical fruit on the nose, especially pineapple and mango and flora. Pineapple is the dominant flavor throughout with accents of papaya with a fairly sweet hefty malt presence. Finishes sweet with grapefruit rind bitterness. Heavy malt backbone, medium carbonation and silky, smooth on the palate. A solid DIPA from Stone, but certainly not heads or tails above others, and tends to be more of the same and is a bit overly sweet. Personally, I prefer a finish that is a bit drier, and the finish on this brew is about as sweet and fruity as one can find, with the usual grapefruit rind bitterness. Frankly this brew is a bit unbalanced, and those that prefer sweeter characteristics in their DIPA's will certainly be all over this one.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.