1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Enjoy By IPAEnjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Ratings: 5,445 | Reviews: 920 | Show All Ratings:
ExtraStout

4.39/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours bright crisp golden yellow. Inch or so of head. Light lacing and retention.

Very tropical. Lots of fruit and sweetness. A bit dank and heavy.

Similar to nose, although more dank and resin like. Tropical fruit dominates. Light citrus. Faint malt.

Fairly easy. Never overpowering from the bigger malt profile. Drinks easy and almost a bit light.

Never got old, booze was hidden really well. Complex.

04-12-2014 14:01:33 | More by ExtraStout
DIM

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

a: Clear golden; served with a thick creamy head.

s: Resinous, pithy citrus, raw alcohol, a hint of juicy tropical fruit. All booze and hops.

t: Here again, booze and hop bomb. Extreme bitterness, relatively mild hop flavor. Pithy citrus; oily and resinous. Pretty hot finish. Abrasive in a good way.

m: Oily and smooth.

o: Really good for sure, but I've had quite a few DIPAs I like more in the last 6months or so.

03-31-2014 18:52:15 | More by DIM
marzenfannm

New Mexico

2.63/5  rDev -40.6%

Tried this in a tasting at the beer store. Fruity and hoppy to be sure. A bit over the top for my personal preferences. Enjoy By 08-02-13 batch tasted during mid-July 2013.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.]

03-31-2014 02:06:09 | More by marzenfannm
Jbats

3.21/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This years offerings so far have taken a serious nose dive! Had the release for Feb and now the March. Bittering is much milder and seems to be off balance now. Flavor is still solid but it is missing the 'grapey' (nelson sauvin?)finish I thought made this beer so unique. Dank hops are much more noticeable in this version. Not sure what has happened to the recipe or if hops used are no longer cost effective but it is not the awesome hop head offering it once was in 2013. Too bad this was definitely one of my favorite readily available IPA's in my area.

03-28-2014 17:35:07 | More by Jbats
dwagner003

3.73/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drinking a 4.20.14 on tap. Wanted to give it one more chance after my terrible 12.13.13 experience, and it seems to be better this time around.

I love the color of this beer. It's a wonderful copper color with some heavy carbonation. I do like my beers to have a bit more of a translucent appearance, but this was nice.

The smell was better this time. I could tell it was very different from the last bottle I tried. Smelled a bit oniony, but with some citrus notes, but it still seemed a lot more hop-foward than before.

Taste was a lot better than 12.13.13, but not as good as 07.04.13. Still got a lot of bitter hop and some onion, but seemed to recapture some of that citrusy goodness that I originally loved.

Better this time around. Maybe I just need to stick to taps for this beer.

03-28-2014 15:03:18 | More by dwagner003
glazeman

3.35/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this tonight on-tap side-by-side with lunch from Maine. The lunch was sooo much better that it may influence my relatively low rating. This beer had a somewhat soapy taste and while there was a lot of hop bitterness up front, there wasn't too much balance. Also the smell was pretty run of the mill with some mediocre pine and citrus but nothing that really stood out. Maybe Stone advertising the freshness has led to this one being though of more highly than it should otherwise be. I will revisit in bottle form though.

03-28-2014 02:36:25 | More by glazeman
Tone

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of citrus hops, floral hops, sweet malt, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, hops oils, slight floral hops, slight sweet malt, slight alcohol, hint of earthy malt, and a hint of grass. Overall, decent appearance, good aroma, good body, and decent complexity.

03-24-2014 15:41:40 | More by Tone
IronLover

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 2/14/14. Honey yellow in color with the slightest haze. Started with a shirt white foam that left ladder of sticky lacings down the glass. Pungent, earthy, citrus hop aromas with a hint of malty sweetness beneath. Smooth, incredibly delicate feel with gentle, lazy carbonation and an oily feel toward the finish. Flavor was similar to aroma. Pungent citrus, pineapple, and rioe grapefruit flavors uo front with a tangy hop bite through the middle. Caramel malt flavors peek through toward the end. Very enjoyable.

02-13-2014 03:42:01 | More by IronLover
cjgiant

District of Columbia

4.45/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Note: just gotten over a cold when I tried this

#10: 09-13-13
A: golden-amber with little head, not much lacing
S: orange with sweet caramel notes
T/M: much like the smell, very malt forward, melding into orange blossoms, then into a grassy (tinged with citrus). Mildly dry pull that lingers.
O: very good beer. Could maybe be a little less sweet, but love the citrus backbone of this beer, as well as the malt front and somewhat dry finish.

#12: 11-12-13
A: clear golden amber, but more lacing in this pour
S: same, but I notice an earthiness this time
T/M: more bitterness I notice up front in this one, less sweet than I reviewed before.
O: I didn't change any of my ratings, but I think I expected better given the rating versus what I thought about this tasting. Given that, I await my next one to see if I should adjust my rating.

#14: 2-14-14 (adjusted ratings up)
A+: more lacing
S-: weaker to me
T: definitely more bitter than original review, but there is what I now consider mango flavor (not orange).
M+/O+: starting to enjoy this more and more as a must have when available

02-07-2014 23:46:55 | More by cjgiant
precariouslydaniel

4.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I found this beer by surprise at Joe's Inn in Richmond Virginia. I had been keeping an eye out for it for quite some time and it always eluded me, so this was quite a treat.

This beer came out in a shaker pint, with a crystal clear, amber-orange appearance and about two fingers of foamy white head.

It smelled like a classic west coast ipa, with a twist. It was grapefruit, pineaple and pear with a faint, simcoe-garlic background with some pine.

The taste followed suit, although the garlic was more pronounced and there was a surprisingly assertive sweet malt presence in the mid palate. The finish was pine and hop resin with pear.

The mouthfeel was thicker and more substantial than expected but finished dry.

Overall, this is a beautifully crafted beer that absolutely lives up to the hype. Crisp, clean and tropical with a quick bitter punch. Highly recommended.

01-30-2014 22:22:16 | More by precariouslydaniel
dexterk1

4.26/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had the 2/14/14 version this past weekend at a great beer spot in DC.
Color was deep amber/orange. Pretty hazy. Head was nice and steady with nice lacing afterward.
Odor was citrus with a little tropical fruit sweetness. Malt present as well to a lesser degree.
Taste closely mirrors the aroma. Citrus hops up front with some pine and a touch of malt. Mouth feel was smooth and moderately carbonated and left a pleasant aftertaste.
Overall, an excellent IPA and one that I will be trying to get again in coming versions for sure.

01-28-2014 23:16:34 | More by dexterk1
Slatetank

4.45/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Brewhouse grille in Camp Hill, thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing the bomber with me. Enjoyed chilled from a tulip.

the color is deep amber with dark golden hues and hazed with thick white cap. The smell is fruity, tropical, juicy and light citrus odors all encompass with mild papaya aroma. The feel is great with tangy bitter and light sweet element from the malt with mild astringency and slight warming of alcohol.

The taste is very hop drenched, lots of tangy citrus and zesty mango with some grapefruit and tropical flavors from the blend with slight catty tinge hinting there is some simcoe near the finish. Overall this is as good as expected based on the track record -lots of hop flavor which is helped by the freshness which shows..almost chalky from the raw vegetal matter jammed in- this is a quality Imperial IPA, one of the best I have had in recent memory.

01-28-2014 19:37:43 | More by Slatetank
GrumpyBeer

Tennessee

3.94/5  rDev -11.1%

I had the 2.14 bottle and more recently on tap. From the tap this beer was great. Pour amber orange with white head. The smell was outstanding with a good balanced pine and orange, grapefruit. The taste on this pour was wonderful with hoppy citrus forward and the bitter back end but the malt shined through and finished with some orange. I will say the bottle I had was not even close to this on draft. It was much more bitter and the taste just not as good. On draft this was great overall.

01-28-2014 04:06:40 | More by GrumpyBeer
winningwes91

4.91/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this puppy on tap at bottle revolution in Raleigh NC. Was so much better than I remembered.

Appearance- Beautiful sunset orange with lots of bubbles streaming up to the top with about a half finger of egg white head that disappeared quickly. Awesome.

Smell- Wow. This is amazing. Smells like I'm sticking my nose in a bag of tropical fruits and hops. What I get is hops, mango, peach, grapefruit, slight bread malty notes. Just epic smells.

Taste. Holy crap this is so much more fruit-forward than the October 2013 version. Follows the nose precisely. Tastes like hopped up fruit juice. Just an amazing, and probably my favorite IPA currently.

Mouthfeel- Super carbinated and drinks dangerously well for a 9.4 % beer.

Overall- This is easily Stone's best beer. And that's saying a lot. Amazing.

01-26-2014 01:52:41 | More by winningwes91
bossblanco

4.74/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 02.14.14. Poured from a 2-day old tap into a tulip.

A: Golden orange. Big head that follows the beer with rings that hold onto the side of the glass.

S: Ripe guava. If you haven't smelled ripe guava from Mexico, this is what it smells like. Amazing! FYI, ripe guava has a little funk to it.

T: Initial taste is citrus fruit accompanied by a sour-hop taste that matches the smell. The more I drink this, the more it tastes like guava. I sense a bit of malt and alcohol on the exhale, but just the right amounts.

M: Nothing crazy. It lingers in your gums. Kinda nice.

O: Good enough to make me open an account and write a review.

01-25-2014 00:56:38 | More by bossblanco
Tairy1Greene

4.81/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, I was surprised by this "Enjoy by 02/14/14 IPA" the look was typical of an IPA, a solid golden yellow/brown color with a good head. The smell was amazing; it might be the best part of the beer, an insane combo of floraly hops with a soft piney caramel to it. The mouth feel, sort of gummy, chewy, beer with a smooth finish. These taste is the only part that levels off the beer. A very solid pine cone cinnamon flowery finish that is classical of a solid IPA. Overall a great IPA. I'd have another.

01-21-2014 03:48:23 | More by Tairy1Greene
nreynoso90

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Great overall double IPA. Definitely one of our favorites. We highly recommend this beer to the fellow DoubleIPA enthusiast. We've managed to get our hands on every bottle shipped to southern California since 12.21.12 and on tap at our local craft bar. Cheers!

01-14-2014 23:50:10 | More by nreynoso90
ghonickel

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall, I feel that this beer series is amazing. I have now had two different of the Enjoy By brews. One was in a bottle and the other was on tap. Both times they were still good. They are definitely worth trying and I don't feel someone would be disappointed.

12-06-2013 16:29:25 | More by ghonickel
KVNBGRY

4.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Quick review

Ap. - Brilliant golden body. Continuous lacing from off white head.

Ar. - Not a whole lot going on in aroma. Classic IPA.

T. - Pineapple juice! Nice grassy hop, and a touch of clean malt.

M. - Would like a touch more carbonation. Otherwise very nice and silky smooth. Slight bitterness backs it up.

O. - I keep telling myself (and others) that I'm not a hop head. This is scary. I'm a big fan.

12-03-2013 22:42:22 | More by KVNBGRY
MadCat

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Had on tap on 11/21/13 at Stone's bar in the San Diego Airport. I'm unsure of what the "Enjoy By" date is.

Appearance: Clear golden color, good white head, minimal lacing

Smell: Very fruity and citrusy, very fragrant

Taste: Again, fruity, citrusy, lighter on malt than I would have expected. No indication of the abv. Complex, yet very drinkable

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation, exactly what I expect from Stone for this style

Overall: Excellent, and a little different than you typical Stone brew. Focuses on the aromatic side of hops, instead of cramming bitterness down your throat. Very enjoyable, and I think they are targeting Pliny the Elder with this one. Can't say which I would rather have, but they are both world class.

11-22-2013 22:31:57 | More by MadCat
MattyBones

4.74/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this quite a few times in the bottle but was lucky enough to get it on tap at the awesome Gramercy Tavern in NYC.

Appearance: A beautiful golden orange color with a thin white head. A very refreshing look to it in which I couldn't wait to dive in. Didn't appear too heavy on the carbonation but it made it's presence known.

Smell: Strong citrus hops notes of grapefruit, possibly a slight pineapple smell to it. Very pleasant.

Taste: First sip hits the palette with the taste of citrus...heavy grape fruit barely noticing the alcohol. Finishes smooth and clean on the tongue making me anticipate my next sip.

Mouthfeel: Hop oils sit on the tongue leaving a nice aftertaste that hides the alcohol. It really seemed more like a mid range ipa as far as alcohol and not on the level it contains.

Overall: I'm a big fan of Stone and this is by far my favorite brew of theirs right next to the double dry hopped Ruination. Very pleased.

10-29-2013 17:39:02 | More by MattyBones
xVERITAS

Colorado

11.12.13

Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVED this beer. I had it on tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. The keg ran out as he was pouring it, so he tapped a new one, so I got the first pour out of a keg.

It was a dark copper, but was completely transparent, not murky like a lot of IPAs. This also was so hoppy and bitter. My girlfriend had a pint of Russian RIver Blind Pig, and when comparing the 2, Enjoy By blows BP out of the water.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys solid IPAs or DIPAs.

Very citrusy taste, extra hoppy. That's why I loved it.

10-28-2013 01:20:46 | More by xVERITAS
EBeckett3

4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

11.12.13 reviewed here

A- Ok, orange-yellow with negligible head. Decent lacing.

SMELL
Citrus, slight pine. Smells fresh.

TASTE
slight citrus w equally slight malt backbone. Hoppy & bitter with dry finish. No alcohol aftertaste despite high abv.

MOUTHFEEL
Medium bodied, smooth bitter hop bomb.

NOTES
Drinkable even at 9.4% (had 3). Wow! Get it while you can. Fresh IPA defined.

Poured into an 12 oz wine glass at the Pourhouse, Westmont, NJ.

10-25-2013 23:21:42 | More by EBeckett3
BeerHo

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Fantastic IPA! Great aroma and color as soon as you tap it! Had the privilege of enjoying it on tap at the Craft Ale House in Limerick, PA. This beer rivals Pliny The Elder or Firestone Double Jack IPA. Great citrus from the first sip and great hops throughout with a good malty finish. This is a top flight beer!

09-04-2013 22:23:51 | More by BeerHo
rodlavers

4.16/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served on tap at three rivers six pack in delmont

Appearance clear orange, with bright white half-finger head. Some lacing.

Smells great...piney and sweet but not overwhelming.

Taste is similar. Really piney/syrupy, sorta dank but not dried at all,very wet. Juicy.

Feels smooth, if not a bit thick for an IPA.

Overall fantastic. It's got a lot-a-bit of everything and for some May be too much. I enjoy it very much.

09-04-2013 04:51:32 | More by rodlavers
Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.