Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,262 | Hads: 9,602
4.31/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought this a few weeks back down at Joe Canal's in Woodbridge. It was behind glass, so I had a feeling that this was pretty special since they had to open up the case to get one for me. Seeing that 11/12/13 is next week, I did enjoy this by its due date and eagerly anticipated the freshness of this. While I thought that the hype turned out to be a bit much for this, I enjoyed this beer and the easy drinkability of this, given how high the alcohol was. It was much smoother than I thought and went down easily, even though I split the bottle with a good friend of mine!

Nice pour to this, as this beer had a crisp golden hue, fluffy head, and lacing that made its mark ring after foamy ring. Lots of earthy, herbal hops and "stink" in the nose, making me think that this was a beer from Green Flash. Then came the taste - soapy, buttery, and sneakily smooth. The hops were recessed but present here as more floral notes predominated. This was so strong but went down so easily and although the taste wasn't immediately addictive, it grew on me. It was a bit like tea, in that the minty notes took a while to grow on me but they soothed at the same time. This certainly felt and tasted fresh from start to finish, as if I had this on tap and not out of a bottle.

Strong, this was but this certainly did not feel it. Downing a whole bottle will make you woozy but with the appeal and bitterness of a Troegs Nugget Nectar combined with a rich array of sensual aspects and a chocolate-chili type aftertaste, there's a ton to like here. This was so clean and crisp that it misled me into thinking that it was an American Amber but alas, it's just an IPA that lives up to the "Imperial" moniker. Loads to love here, even without the date on the bottle. This was one beer that you'll want to drink as soon as you get your hands on it!

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a deviation from my normal reviewing style because I wrote the following in a thread about your personal favorite beer (please read edit at end):

It's a crystal clear pale amber with a bounteous white head of tight bubbles. Just gorgeous to look at! The aroma is what I would imagine heaven would smell like, with wave after wave of wild flowers, tropical fruits (mango, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya), peaches, citrus (tangerine, grapefruit), lemon-grass, FRESH dank hops, and just enough caramel malt to keep it balanced. Almost every time I drink this I have trouble taking the last sip because I know I won't be able to smell it anymore if I do! Then you have the flavor, which, unlike many top rated DIPAs, actually delivers what you smelled with just as much punch, with even more complexity and balance to boot! Every aroma noted is present in the taste in a big way at some point, with additional flavors such as onion grass (a surprising but pleasant addition), a big malt backbone in the middle (but not so big as to take away from the plentiful fresh hops that are on display), and a mild to moderate bitter hop bite at the finish (may be moderate to heavy for some people, but with all the hop bombs I've had it doesn't feel like a ton to me!). This beer is just perfectly balanced, and quite frighteningly drinkable at 9.4%! I could drink this all day every day if it was available and I was rich enough to not have to work! =P

edit - After the last 2 batches available in NJ were just nowhere near as good as the first 3 I had I felt it necessary to alter my scores from the perfect 5s across the board that I had given it. Please realize that I felt those first 3 batches deserved that score, but inconsistency has made me change my mind. I hope they can match the brilliance that was those earlier batches in the future!

4.97/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 16 oz pint glass
A: Nothing really special, poured a nice golden-pale color with around .25" of head and left behind some nice lacing.
S: Very aromatic, luscious tropical fruits and grapefruits, but with a strong hop bite. I love smelling this beer.
T: Initial strong hop flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it out. And then the tropical fruits come in. I got some juicy pineapple flavors and oodles of grapefruit.
M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Somehow i could not taste the 9.4 abv at all.
O: My favorite beer I have ever tried. I had high expectations going in and it exceeded those expectations. It was so perfectly balanced, I was in heaven

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 11.12.13

Poured into a DFH snifter.

Beautiful golden color. Very opaque.

It is a fantastic tasting DIPA. Very nice hop bitterness bite. Very citrusy. It tastes magnificent. It is a tremendous balance of bitterness and malts.

Consistent mouthfeel through the entire bomber. Very similar in mouthfeel to ruination.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Please seek this one out if you are a fan of west coast DIPA's. It is utterly amazing. Kudos to Stone.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer!!! Beside The Heady Topper, I consider this the best double IPA. This has a great smell to it. A beer you just want to take your time with an enjoy the taste. I can drink this beer all day. Stone makes some great beers. I thinks this is the best of there beers...

Above is what I wrote when I first had this beer. That was over 2 years ago. Lately the beer has become a Piney west coast IPA. I think the quality has changed for the worse. Still a good beer but not the way I remember it being.

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this quite a few times in the bottle but was lucky enough to get it on tap at the awesome Gramercy Tavern in NYC.

Appearance: A beautiful golden orange color with a thin white head. A very refreshing look to it in which I couldn't wait to dive in. Didn't appear too heavy on the carbonation but it made it's presence known.

Smell: Strong citrus hops notes of grapefruit, possibly a slight pineapple smell to it. Very pleasant.

Taste: First sip hits the palette with the taste of citrus...heavy grape fruit barely noticing the alcohol. Finishes smooth and clean on the tongue making me anticipate my next sip.

Mouthfeel: Hop oils sit on the tongue leaving a nice aftertaste that hides the alcohol. It really seemed more like a mid range ipa as far as alcohol and not on the level it contains.

Overall: I'm a big fan of Stone and this is by far my favorite brew of theirs right next to the double dry hopped Ruination. Very pleased.

3.44/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Intrigued to try this one. The price point is tough to swallow, but I'm not regretting the plunge (yet). 11-12-13 version.

Poured into a goblet. Pours a nice cloudy orangy-yellow with very little carbonation. The head quickly disappears, even with a vigorous pour. Small amount of lacing.

Pleasant, surprisingly mellow aroma. The hop profile already seems a bit muddled, not quite sure what it wants to be. I'm having trouble teasing out anything distinctive.

The flavor gets a little more specific, with a rich apricot and mild pineapple flavor at the forefront. The alcohol has a decent bite, and borders on harsh. Usually I like this- here the booze tasted a little like it was spiked with a cheap vodka. It simply wasn't compatible.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly sticky, yet wicked dry. I don't really know what to make of it. I guess it slightly compliments the flavor profile, but it's not particularly pleasant in and of itself.

I don't want to call this a complete disappointment. But it's a beer that doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's dry, yet finishes sticky and a little sweet. The hop profile is slightly all over the place- some may call this "complex," but out of a world class IPA, I expect an identity. This is a nicely-made, well-rounded, strong-flavored, yet ultimately boring IPA.

Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVED this beer. I had it on tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. The keg ran out as he was pouring it, so he tapped a new one, so I got the first pour out of a keg.

It was a dark copper, but was completely transparent, not murky like a lot of IPAs. This also was so hoppy and bitter. My girlfriend had a pint of Russian RIver Blind Pig, and when comparing the 2, Enjoy By blows BP out of the water.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys solid IPAs or DIPAs.

Very citrusy taste, extra hoppy. That's why I loved it.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Enjoy By 11.12.13 (bottled 10.04.13, drank on 10.27.13 - just over 3 weeks old) fridge temp poured into a snifter.

Pours out a nice golden color, almost light orange. West coast IPA color. Very good clarity. Holds a decent white head, pretty good sticky lacing.

Holy aroma! Initially it's big juicy tropical fruits, pineapple, mango. As it warms some vegetal hops comes out. Dank all over, a bit catty.

All about the hops. Vegetal, juicy tropical fruits, dank, grapefruit citrus, nearly a little bit of everything from the hops. No real malt detectable both in the taste and aroma. Not an overly aggressive bitterness, just about right.

Quite light in the mouthfeel, makes very a very drinkable and enjoyable DIPA, very west coast like.

Quite an outstanding DIPA, up there with the best IMO. Can't drink enough of this.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 11/12/13.

Appearance: Pale honey with good clarity and an off-white cap of foam.

Aroma: A hop bouquet of tropical fruits, with an emphasis on mango, and just a hint of dank hop juice. It has that great almost musty aroma that is synonymous with west coast IPAs, in my opinion.

Taste: This one definitely has the 'it' factor. The flavor begins with some crisp piney bitterness up front that morphs into a tropical ride for your palate. The hop character hits the perfect mix of pine, west coast fruits, and that touch of dankness that all the great IPAs balance so well. Speaking of balance, the malt is basically nonexistent here--which works in its favor. The 9.4% ABV is likely what is keeping the hops in line, but it is very hard to detect any alcohol presence. The 88 IBUs really make the most of their power, diminishing slightly in the finish before blasting through to echo around in the aftertaste for a very long time. It's not difficult to enjoy this one.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body which is quite a feat for an imperial brew. The carbonation keeps things lively but is just a tad excessive (nothing a vigorous pour can't fix). Suburb drinkability which is dangerous given the ABV but makes taking down a bomber no problem.

Final Thoughts: I was lucky enough to try an earlier batch of Enjoy By on-tap in Colorado in a flight next to PtE a couple months ago and Enjoy By was the better of the two (albeit by a narrow margin). The lack of malt flavor makes this beer even more impressive because there are no detectable flaws in the flavor and it seems to be consistent from one batch to the next. The Enjoy By series proves that Stone gets it. They understand that the consumer wants a fresh product, which means a lot coming from such a large brewery that doesn't need to be doing this kind of thing to survive in the vastly expanding craft beer industry. I have the utmost respect for Stone because they have respect for the consumer. The fact that Enjoy By is such a fantastic IPA is just the icing on the cake in this situation. Would I drink it again? Yes, anytime I can get my hands on it.

4.61/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle purchased at Cleveland Park Wine and Liquors on Connecticut Ave. in NW D.C., unknown bottling date but enjoy by 11/12/13, poured into my The Bruery "Rue the Day" glass dated 15 June 2013, drank 10/25/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - golden-orange coloration, impressive clarity as per usual for a Stone IPA (can both see or read through), initial soapy white head dissipates into subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs which re-agitates the carbonation on swirling

S: 11/12 - as expected from a Stone IPA, there's heavy citrus fruit - grapefruit, pineapple and apricot - hop character likely from "C" hops; as the beer warms, some dank piney-resiny aromas punch through; pils malt character in the background for balancing but the hops totally shine through in the aroma, which is most impressive because this bottle shipped across the U.S. and was kept at RT behind the shelf in the store!

T: 18/20 - on the anterior tongue, tropical/citrus fruit like bitterness predominates; it the middle of the mouth, the bitterness continues to linger with some pils balance and muted alcohol flavors; finishes drier than the already-dry Stone IPAs; aftertaste is a pleasant citrus flavor that invites sip after sip...after sip (if I had more!)

M: 4/5 - moderate body with resiny hop oils sitting on the tongue tongue, the alcohol is present but I definitely don't get 9.4% ABV; impressively high carbonation for a ~10% imperial IPA that does not detract from the flavor profile

O: 9/10 - another major win from Mitch Steele and hop bursting; as much as I enjoy RuinTen, I think that this one even surpasses it; it reminds me a lot of Founders Double Trouble, and it's up there with the best DIPAs in the world (HT, PtE, Abrasive et al.); I have had an older version in the greater D.C. area but I don't recall it being this great; I'm excited to brew a huge modified hop burst DIPA with Amarillo, Bravo, Centennial, Citra and Zythos after this beer has whet my appetite; and, for $9.99 in an expensive beer city like D.C., I cannot think of a better beer bargain in the DMV; please come back to us soon!

TOTAL = 45/50

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Drinking 10.25.13 on 10.25.13.
I do as I'm told... this time.

Appearance: Bright clarity, almost transparent infusing the light with a golden hue. Holds a cover and collar of bright white foam that leaves spotty curtain lacing behind.

Smell: Hop oils, citric and pine, almost to a burning g intensity. Get a hint o bread yeast (does Stone have a house yeast?) and just a hint of sugary base. This may burn a bit.

Taste: Full juicy hops are bitter, citric, pine, pineapple, grapefruit extract; just the glory of a fresh hop cone. The base malt high as much as possible without being absent. White bread, cracker dry malt seems to be the white wall the dripping green hop vines have been splattered against. The end story is the upper limit of hop bitterness just before it starts to eat through the glass.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body, almost sparkling carbonation crops off to leave a heavy lasting coat of hop oil that dries and strongly encourages the next sip.

Overall: They heard you like hops.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This stuff is great. First time I've ever had the enjoy by IPA. Nice amber color. Very clear. Nice citrus smell and the taste...awesome nice bitter punch in the mouth with a full pineapple orange grapefruit flavor. Excellent beer. Get it quick. I was told once it's gone, it's gone.

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

11.12.13 reviewed here

A- Ok, orange-yellow with negligible head. Decent lacing.

Citrus, slight pine. Smells fresh.

slight citrus w equally slight malt backbone. Hoppy & bitter with dry finish. No alcohol aftertaste despite high abv.

Medium bodied, smooth bitter hop bomb.

Drinkable even at 9.4% (had 3). Wow! Get it while you can. Fresh IPA defined.

Poured into an 12 oz wine glass at the Pourhouse, Westmont, NJ.

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Poured into a tulip glass with a copper orange color with a white head.

S- Loads of hops citrus and grapefruit with pines.

T- The taste is very similar to the scent of this beer. Lots of hops citrus and grapefruit pines.

M- Good carbonation pretty smooth, hops on the palate.

O- Overall this is by far my favorite IPA or double IPA quite possibly my favorite beer overall.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ok, I have to start this review out with a slight disclaimer... This is Enjoy By 9.13.13... This was a lucky shelf pull late in the game for me, as this series is not readily available where I live. So, I am enjoying this beer a little over a month late... however, I am quite sure that the hop flavor has not broken down in any sort of drastic way. I believe in drinking hoppy beers fresh, but unlike a lot of the talk on the BA message boards, I strongly believe IPAs have a shelf life of several months (and even at that point they are not totally 'bad').

Moving on, as I look upon this beer in my glass, it looks simply glorious! It's a pale golden color, with decent clarity and small bubbles rapidly rising to the surface. the head is quite thick and foamy, moreso than your average DIPA, that's for sure. The aroma conjures images of an tangy citrus fruits, like lemon and grapefruit, an evergreen forest, and some kind of breadiness as well.

Wow, this is really something.... this is a very heavy beer with grassy, herbal, and tobacco-like hop bitterness. My guess would be that Simcoe is part of the hop bill. This is also the type of DIPA that has a strong malt backbone as well, which is manifesting itself as a slightly boozy, biscuity, tart sweetness. It is very much playing second fiddle to the dry-as-a-desert bitterness that peaks in the finish. There is a pleasant taste that lingers for a while in my palate, as the somewhat noticeable alcohol warms me up too. It feels just right - a moderate mouth feel.

Overall, I'm certainly glad I decided to grab this even though it was a little past its so-called prime. If you're reading this and you stumble upon one of these past the date, don't hesitate to try it, It's definitely worth the money. It goes without saying this has to be marvelous if you are lucky to score a bottle right away too.

3.71/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Although being the same beer everytime (just new batches) just like evrything else at Stone, its consistent. I enjoyed the Hoppiness without the distraction of so much bitterness, which was a bit wierd for a stone beer. I was expecting a booze bomb but its actually very balanced. A very smooth 9.4% abv.

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Bottle. Opened 2 days before "drink by" date. Clear dark yellow with a fluffy white head. Initially upon opening, there is a nice hop aroma, but it attenuates slight soon thereafter. Big malt profile that overpowers the hops. No doubt that this is a double. Some apricot in the nose, but mostly hops and malt. The flavor is good, but the bitterness is a little harsh. Palate is perfect for a double. Medium carbonation that rapidly dissipates. It's a big beer. Well done, but a little heavy-handed. I like what Stone is trying to do here. I just prefer an IPA with a bit more balance.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 11.12.13
A - Poured copper orange with a sturdy head.
S - Hops. Floral with noticeable grapefruit, citrus, pine.
T - Amazing hops! Orange, citrus, lemon, grapefruit and a bit of pine. but easy to drink.
M - A medium body and carbonation. Smooth creamy finish.
O - It is a must try, with great balance. This is pure quality.

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

bottled 10/4/13, enjoy by 11/12/13. Purchased on vacation at Poseidon's Pantry Gourmet on Chincoteague Island, VA.

Crystal clear light gold to orange with a strong 2 1/2 finger off white head. Amazingly thick, clingy lacing. Carbonation is evident.

Very fresh hugely hoppy aroma. Very herbal. Grapefruit and peel, pine and freshly cut wild herbs like homeopathic medicinals. It smells healthy.

Bitter homeopathics and grapefruit peel repeated and elevated compared to the aroma. Slight taste of alcohol early on. A fleeting hint of almost cinnamon in the back of the mouth. As the beer warms, the bitter characteristics mellow out and the sweet malts blend with the hops to mimic a tropical fruit punch.

Medium thick, not quite creamy. Peppery with light syrup. Very warming.

Incredible aroma and taste. My favorite double IPA ever. Even better than Firestone Double Jack.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 09.13.13, Enjoy By 11.12.13, Enjoy By 2.14.14, Enjoy By 4.20.14, Enjoy By 12.26.14, Enjoy By 02.14.15, Enjoy By 4.20.15, Enjoy By 7.5.15

A - looks great, like an IPA should.

S - smells wonderful, just as a hop head like myself had dreamed of.

T - out of this world!

M - hardy and full of citrusy hops.

O - this is up there with the best of 'em my friends. Stone has knocked another one out of the park, not too many competitors able to touch this one! Simply amazing.

Post Initial Review Note: 09.13.13 was close to a perfect 5! 11.13.13 not as good, recommendation is to try many releases as possible and often! 2.14.14 closer to 9.13.13 release, great stuff Stone! 4.20.14 release was superb, really not digging the 12.26.14 release, maybe next time! 02.14.14 was excellent! 04.20.15 amazing! 07.04.15 just okay.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured Enjoy By 11.12.13 into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a dark golden with a full two fingers of white puffy creamy head.

S - Tropical goodness comes through with pineapple, grapefruit, some lemon and orange with pine. Smells awesome!

T - Wow, very nice. The flavors are very close to the nose. Getting grapefruit, pineapple, lemon and orange. Hoppy pine needles mid palate. Just a bit of alcohol on the aftertaste.

M - Very smooth, medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation.

O - Yeah, this is good stuff. Is it better than RuinTen, I doubt it, but good nonetheless.
Enjoy yet another quality IPA from Stone. Cheers!

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy by 10.25.13

A: clear, nice golden orange color. Good head and lacing

S: Amazing! Tropical fruits (maybe nectarine), citrus, pineapple, grapefruit, bit of pine and dankness.

T: Almost as great as the smell! Same flavors as smell, bit of malty sweetness, great bitterness. Not much booze at all.

M: nice and lightly creamy

Overall fantastic hops! The standard year round IPAs from Stone are pretty good, but these Enjoy By beers are world class.

4.54/5  rDev +3.2%

A: This poured a clear light gold with some white head.
S: It smelled like huge amounts of fresh grapefruit and mango and apricot, with some herbal and resin hops and a bit of honey.
T: It tasted like bitter herbal and resin hops, with some grapefruit zest and unripe apricot. It had a clean and lasting very bitter aftertaste.
M: It was fairly thick with moderate carbonation. Nice full body.
D: This was a fantastic punch in the mouth! The scent was phenomenal, and the taste was great. The body was good, and the alcohol was well hidden. The finish was powerful, so it was easier to sip. This one lives up to the hype. Impressive brew, and top tier IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Enjoy by 11.12.13

Appearance: Clear burnished gold with moderate white head that dissipates quickly, leaving light lace.

Smell: I smell hops and hop oil, but can't pinpoint the actual aroma very well. Citrus, pine and tropical notes seem to be blended together.

Taste: Fairly sweet malt core with loads of fresh hops on top. Orange, grapefruit, mango, peach, pine - lots going on but individual characteristics are hard to separate. Finish is spicy and piney, but only somewhat bitter.

Feel: Medium body, moderate carbonation, creamy and oily. Mostly dry finish.

Overall: I absolutely love the concept of this beer, and the execution mostly lives up to the concept. A little more distinct aroma and a little more dryness, and this could have been a home run. I will settle for a triple however. Great stuff.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.