Join our email list →

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

pDev: 25%
Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 9.40% ABV

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,355 | Hads: 10,062
3.99/5  rDev -9.3%

My wife picked a few of these up for me at her work.

Appearance- clear golden color, very thin head

Smell- piney, grassy, citrus hops

Taste- piney, grassy, and slight citrus hops

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This is definitely a very good beer. I really like it a lot.

3.97/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

I had the Enjoy By 05.17.13 and to be honest it was just good. I'd heard a ton about this beer and was really looking forward to this brew. Poured a bomber into a tulip, and the head dissipated rather quickly. The color was a perfect pale gold, and the head was a nice white/pale straw. The aroma didn't do much for me, a touch of spice, and sweet and earthy/flowery smell. The taste isn't as sweet as I was expecting and, although I appreciate west coast IPAs, this one didn't really have the malt character to balance out the appreciable hops. After all of that being said, I did enjoy this Enjoy By, and will probably pic up one of them again, but likely in late fall if they put one out around then.

4.14/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Stone Enjoy By 02.14.15 IPA. My first time seeing Enjoy Boy in a bottle (22oz). Served cold in a curved "porter/stout" glass. Beer is crystal clear and medium pale amber in color. Surprisingly tropical aroma, and fresh, of course. Courtesy of Citra, perhaps? Flavor is moderately juicy, builds pine, resiny flavors on top of the tropical fruit/passion/mango notes promised in the nose. Surprisingly well balanced for a Stone double IPA, too. I would even say the finish is not totally dry. The headiness of this brew, along with the corresponding amount of residual sugar, are the only things holding back this otherwise supremely drinkable IPA.

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An Enjoy By 2.15.13 poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a translucent red amber with a larger white head that dissipates to leave a nice thin foam layer and nice lacing. Smells of sweet piney hops and more hops, with a slight citrus hint. Tastes of citrus notes and nice piney notes with great hop bite. Medium bodied beer is carbonated perfectly and finishes very nice for a beer with a great hop bite that it has. Overall, a world class beer.

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22oz poured into Nonic pint 12-26 iteration

A: nice soapy head unbelievable clarity see the carbonation light amber color good lacing on the glass

S: very herbal on the nose a little bready

T: very herbal almost some citrus but gone with a very nice sweetness and an herbal almost spicy but not quite taste

M: has a little bit thicker mouthfeel than most IPAs it's actually quite pleasant

O: My best advice I can give on this beer is fuck the reviews and just buy it. I've had roughly 6-7 different batches of this, the first time I had it the beer was a citrus explosion juicy and delicious, the next 5 times it had an over powering onion taste that really turned me off. I had about given up on it but then I decided why not. Now it's herbally which is much more pleasant than the onion but I can't seem to get any consistency out of this beer which in my opinion makes for an average beer. However as you can see just buy the damn thing and form your own opinion on this one.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 11/12/13.

Appearance: Pale honey with good clarity and an off-white cap of foam.

Aroma: A hop bouquet of tropical fruits, with an emphasis on mango, and just a hint of dank hop juice. It has that great almost musty aroma that is synonymous with west coast IPAs, in my opinion.

Taste: This one definitely has the 'it' factor. The flavor begins with some crisp piney bitterness up front that morphs into a tropical ride for your palate. The hop character hits the perfect mix of pine, west coast fruits, and that touch of dankness that all the great IPAs balance so well. Speaking of balance, the malt is basically nonexistent here--which works in its favor. The 9.4% ABV is likely what is keeping the hops in line, but it is very hard to detect any alcohol presence. The 88 IBUs really make the most of their power, diminishing slightly in the finish before blasting through to echo around in the aftertaste for a very long time. It's not difficult to enjoy this one.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body which is quite a feat for an imperial brew. The carbonation keeps things lively but is just a tad excessive (nothing a vigorous pour can't fix). Suburb drinkability which is dangerous given the ABV but makes taking down a bomber no problem.

Final Thoughts: I was lucky enough to try an earlier batch of Enjoy By on-tap in Colorado in a flight next to PtE a couple months ago and Enjoy By was the better of the two (albeit by a narrow margin). The lack of malt flavor makes this beer even more impressive because there are no detectable flaws in the flavor and it seems to be consistent from one batch to the next. The Enjoy By series proves that Stone gets it. They understand that the consumer wants a fresh product, which means a lot coming from such a large brewery that doesn't need to be doing this kind of thing to survive in the vastly expanding craft beer industry. I have the utmost respect for Stone because they have respect for the consumer. The fact that Enjoy By is such a fantastic IPA is just the icing on the cake in this situation. Would I drink it again? Yes, anytime I can get my hands on it.

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing Enjoy By 4/20/14. Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Dark golden orange sun kissed copper, an even cloudiness keeps it from being completely transparent. As it warms, it clears. White head, fades fast, little to no lacing.

Pine tar on the nose mixing with fresh citrus and a touch of sweet tropics fill the nose.

First sip...medium carbonation...an extremely creamy mouthfeel but watery too? Peaches up front mix with the sweetness of honey. Rounds out with some caramel and green pine and a quick bitter finish. A warm alcohol lingers on the throat...white pepper on the tongue.

I'm a big fan of double IPAs (my favorite style) and was really looking forward to this beer...my first Enjoy By. I've read the reviews and comments in the forums...and must say I'm disappointed. I've let it warm and sipped it slow but something is off? It's not much older than a week, so freshness isn't the problem. Seems a little to watery for a double, a little lighter in color than I'm use too...those things I can live with but there is an "off" flavor that I'm not familiar with...charcoal? Maybe I just don't like "dank"? I guess my expectations were so high I'm trying to find excuses why I think this is only good and not great...it is what it is...for me...good but not great.

Im so surprised at my review's outcome I will try one more Enjoy By in the future and comment further.

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13 bottle

Had the second batch and forgot to review, so I'm glad it's back in Ohio. Poured into tulip.

A- pours clear golden with a single finger white head, only small amount of lacing
S- amazing, floral, piney, tropical fruits, slightly bready
T/M- follows the nose. Tropical fruits, floral hops, lemony zest, woody pine, faint honey, little to no malt, must crisp smooth hops. Texture isn't too thick, isn't too thin, its just right. Did I say it's smooth?
O- damn this is good stuff, it's very drinkable for the style, not syrupy, not bitter, just refreshing. I hesitate opening beers so its nice to have one that demands I pop it open. If you're lucky enough to get one, buy as many as you can.... And then plaster it all over social media.

4.19/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz bottle into a tulip Third batch - 12.21.12

A: Pours a nearly clear golden orange with a small white head that fades pretty quickly and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is an immediate blast of tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, and apricots. Dank like a bag of cheeba and hop forward for sure. There's a bit of malt in there as well but it is one of the most fruit forward DIPAs I've ever smelled and I love it!

T: The taste is not so fruit forward and actually is balanced by a good hop bitterness. There are flavors of mango and apricot but there are also big flavors of pine and grapefruit. It's actually dank in the taste which I don't think I've ever experienced before...very interesting. The taste is good but it's not as impressive as the nose.

M: The feel is medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

O: I like this and I hope they keep this series going. I would buy this all the time if it was available year round.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle, Enjoy By 09.13.13. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours an orange/copper color. About one finger of a light khaki head that hangs around fairly well and sticks to the glass as it recedes. Carbonation bubbles steadily and slowly rise to the top. Hazy, opaque appearance. Very good looking IIPA.

Smell: Massive, fresh hop aromas just bursting out of the glass. Lots of citrus characteristics (grapefruit and orange rind, lemon/lime), very dank hop aromas, some subtle pine notes, a little bit of an earthy onion/garlic quality. A bit of sweet breadiness as well. Picking up some sweeter and tropical fruits also (pineapple, peach, strawberry). Just an excellent, fresh smelling beer.

Taste: Strong bitterness at the front of the tongue which takes on a strong citrus, grapefruit flavor. This morphs into some of the sweeter fruit (pineapple, peach, apricot, a bit of strawberry) tastes and malty breadiness. Finishes with some more bitterness as the flavors become more earthy, more of the pine, onion/garlic tastes come out on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Great feel to this one. Medium, resinous body to this one, almost an oily consistency rolls smoothly through the mouth and over the tongue. Leaves a tingly sensation over the tongue as it finishes dry, making you want to wring the hop flavors out of your tongue.

Overall: The Enjoy By concept is a very appealing idea as super fresh IPAs aren't always easy to find, but this does make them available for a known, limited time (depending on the markets to which its distributed). However when it does make its way around, it's quite easy to find and priced about reasonably at around $6.99 per bottle (in this area at least). This beer is really quite a treat and highly recommended to try.

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Lightly chilled 22 oz bomber into a 12 oz stemless tulip. Enjoy by 4.1.13.

Look- Clear medium amber with two fingers of dense frothy eggshell head. Decent lacing, good retention.

Smell- Standard profile but well executed. Honey, biscuit, fir needles, mint. Bubblegum in the background. Swirling brings out a more resinous aroma.

Taste- Similar to the nose, but calmer. Strongly reminds me of Nugget Nectar. Floral, pine throughout, orange blossom honey, lingering grapefruit pith and modest bittering.

Mouthfeel- Full, chewy, medium carbonation. Light prickle, on the whole a substantial feel- on the hefty side.

Overall- I had this on tap about a week ago and enjoyed it much more than I'm feeling this bottle at the moment- I'm thinking it's just a bit undercarbonated. As it sits it's a better-than-average DIPA and it's well marketed, but it's just not capturing my attention. High price point, not quite as good as the Nugget leaves me wishing for more. Worth trying, nice to see a national release like this. I'd probably buy it again.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

thanks phillyz for bringing this over as a surprise one morning
9.13.13 yay i finally get to try an enjoy by, and a fuckin great thing to wake up to
A- kinda cloudy amber coloured beer very nice appearance, small white head, dissapears quicklyral
S - very hoppy and piny
T - lots of hops, piney and fruity, kind of spicy after taste out of glass, not with bottle
M - kinda creamy, very smooth and easy to drink
O - definitely worth the wait, really awesome beer, best ipa ive had in a while
Had a chance to try the 11.12.13 today (11/1/13), also absolutely wonderful!
no real difference in taste or appearance, this is a very solid double ipa, and i reccommend it to any fan of the style

4.64/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 5/31/13.

Appearance: Pours a warm, clear golden honey color. Ample carbonation is apparent. About 1.5" of eggshell white head forms, which has great retention and lacing. Very good looking IPA.

Smell: Extremely dank on the nose. Bitter grapefruit and some pineapple and mango notes. Very fresh and clean hop smells. Some bready and caramel malt notes peek out as well, but the hops really shine.

Taste: Bready malts do show themselves initially, as well as perhaps a bit of caramel. The remainder is very sticky, and very dank hop flavors. Citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and sticky hop resins are apparent. Overall, the beer is fairly sweet which is not surprising for a 9.4% ABV beer. However, the finish is pretty dry, which is a nice quality.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with ample carbonation. Very nice. Overall, I thought this was an outstanding IPA. The hop character is very resinous and very pronounced, but all in all the beer has a nice balance. Super.

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 4.20.14 bottled on 3.16, drank on 3.21!
A - Very cool translucent orange.

S - Lovely citrus hops. My nose is in a pine forest.

T - Hops, malty caramel followed by more hops with citrus and grapefruit becoming more and more noticeable. Aftertaste is piney.

F - Creamy full bodied with a nice amount of head.

O - Well played by Stone both on the Beer and the concept and marketing. I guess I was expecting something a little different it being so fresh but I don't even know what. Either way it's a very good beer. Drink up, Beerites.

4.97/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 16 oz pint glass
A: Nothing really special, poured a nice golden-pale color with around .25" of head and left behind some nice lacing.
S: Very aromatic, luscious tropical fruits and grapefruits, but with a strong hop bite. I love smelling this beer.
T: Initial strong hop flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it out. And then the tropical fruits come in. I got some juicy pineapple flavors and oodles of grapefruit.
M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Somehow i could not taste the 9.4 abv at all.
O: My favorite beer I have ever tried. I had high expectations going in and it exceeded those expectations. It was so perfectly balanced, I was in heaven

4.62/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

09.13.13

P: A vivacious clear pale copper orange body with a crown of jiggly off white froth.

S: Smells like your hands after peeling an orange. Crisp citrus hop explosion. Orange, melon, ruby red grapefruit, lemon zest, and toasted malts.

T/M: Orange peel, lemon candy, mint, grapefruit juice, and mango. A sting of alcohol graces the tongue and leaves it tingly. Buttered toast, bubblegum and toasted caramel. Medium-full bodied with a great tingle of carbonation.

O: Crisp bold hops that engulfs your palate and sweeten it with a toasted malt base. I have been waiting to get this as fresh as I could. This is a huge statement for freshness. I love this beer and I can't wait till the next one.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden color, active carbonation,soapy white 2 finger head that laced nicely.

Floral,piney aromas, some grapefruit and orange tones.Smells like a winner.

Taste is impressive compared to other Stone ales I have had. There is an intense piney grapefruit flavor and it is tasty and easy drinking.Medium bodied and well carbonated.

Mouthfeel is slightly this for a IIPA,but does not detract from the overall quality.Nice aftertaste that lasts.

Overall a solid offering from Stone and not one that is easy to find. I highly recommend this tasty South Cali number.

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lolz. Wow... get off dis. I mean, really - get off dis! Raul drove all around OC to finally secure this? Oh my. It's not like Raul expected God, but he at least expected a kiss of heaven. What a let down. I mean, like when this hoochie was all over me last night, yet when the main man was ready to go home, she was too "tired" to come over. Yeah, that kind of let down.

Raul doez not approve!

Raul wasn't exactly feeling his first Enjoy By, but he is feeling it now. On all levels, like Megan Fox on an elliptical, Raul is feeling this.

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz from Total Wine. Enjoy By 4.01.13 - still good for a couple of weeks! Poured into a DFH "IPA glass"...

A: Pours a golden orange, with a three-finger, cotton white head; sugary sheets of lace line the glass - very impressive; a steady stream of bubbles keeps the retention and slight headiness firmly intact.

S: Resinous hops; piney; tobacco; citrus rind - mostly grapefruit; a tad husky / grainy. Hops dominate and are very nice... but not quite as hoppy as I was expecting from a Stone Double IPA.

T: Again... resin. Piney hops. Some light citrus in there to brighten things up, but hop flavor is mostly of the "dank" variety. There is some light malt character... rustic grains / bread crust / almond skin. But that's about it. Some alcohol on the end as the sip comes to a close.

M: Near full-bodied; high carbonation; lively, textured mouthfeel. Very impressive. Not overly oily - and also not really THAT dry. A nice balance of feel, carbo and wetness for an imperial IPA.

O: Not too shabby, although I'll be honest... I was expecting something more along the lines of Ruination. That being said, this is still a really nice DIPA. It's not super bitter or dry, which helps its drinkability. Would love to have it again, if it comes around!

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from the bottle into a Speigelau stemmed tulip glass.

A- Deep golden color, bright and slightly hazy at once. A fluffy white head, 1.5 finger, sticky lacing developes as the head fades to a film.

S- Oh, yeah..a citrus stand with flowery accents make up the aroma here. There's no mistaking some kind of earthy bitter green back there...scallion, collards, escarole????

T- Stong citrus, an unripened grapefruit that has but a touch of malt sweetness. Again, there's some bitter greenery back there, seemingly different than hop flavors. Anise, too, maybe?

M-Medium body and carbonation. Sticky and tart, a drop of oil as well. I knew I sipped this beer long after it "went down the right pipe". Smooth as silk at ABV 9.4% and well balanced.

O- I am lucky to have and enjoy this special brew. I'd like to see it come in at a lower ABV but I don't brew it...I drink it. :-)

4.76/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

appearance; clear gold, decent amount of white head that clings the sides of the glass tightly all the way down.

smell; tropical fruit is off the hook. passion fruit, guava and pinneapple, also pine, grass and resin.

taste; lots of fruit. the passion fruit and pinneapple is there. also mango, touch of earthiness. dank notes of yeast and malt in the background. the alchohal is not there at all. if you told me it was 5 percent i'd believe you.

mouthfeel; light body, not dry at all, very refreshing.

overall; unbelievable hoppy experience, and very drinkable.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a stemmed wineglass from the 22 oz. bottle.

a: Orange/ light copper,2 finger head without much lacing.

s: Floral, citrus one of the best smelling beers I've had.

t: Citrusy but also a little piney and balanced. Nice bitterness, magnum bittering hops? Outstanding.

m: Moderate body, a little creamy nice carbonation.

o: Excellent beer, Nice balance between the piney bitterness of an old school southern CA ipa and modern citrus hops.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 09.13.13, Enjoy By 11.12.13, Enjoy By 2.14.14, Enjoy By 4.20.14, Enjoy By 12.26.14, Enjoy By 02.14.15, Enjoy By 4.20.15, Enjoy By 7.5.15, Enjoy By 10.31.15

A - looks great, like an IPA should.

S - smells wonderful, just as a hop head like myself had dreamed of.

T - out of this world!

M - hardy and full of citrusy hops.

O - this is up there with the best of 'em my friends. Stone has knocked another one out of the park, not too many competitors able to touch this one! Simply amazing.

Post Initial Review Note: 09.13.13 was close to a perfect 5! 11.13.13 not as good, recommendation is to try many releases as possible and often! 2.14.14 closer to 9.13.13 release, great stuff Stone! 4.20.14 release was superb, really not digging the 12.26.14 release, maybe next time! 02.14.15 was excellent! 04.20.15 amazing! 07.04.15 just okay. 10.31.15 getting back up there, great stuff!

4.18/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4-1-2013

A - Poured from a bottle. Poured with a decent one finger, bright white head. Head faded rather quickly leaving no visible lacing. Pretty light orange, not as dark as I was expecting for such a strong IPA. Crystal clear with nice bubbles floating to the top of the brew.

S - Very astringent hop smell. Reminds me of the Green Flash West Coast. Lots of pine and a little lemon rind. Smells very bitter.

T - Sooo smooth for the ABV. This is very, very impressive. Strong initial bitter bite that quickly recedes to pine and a zesty floral taste. Very nice flavor and tastes really fresh.

M - Very crisp and dry. Leaves you wanting another drink. Very nice carbonation.

O - Another excellent showing of hops from Stone. Very fresh taste. I really hope stone continues these drink by beers and can't wait to see what's in store.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

I enjoyed Enjoy By with a tulip glass.

Appearance- The head builds to a half inch of bone white foam. The lace is much more impressive, almost a complete sheet. The body is an orange-gold with a steady flow of carbonation columns.

Smell- There is a dank, earthy herbal quality, almost peppery. The nose is also sweet. This is where the citrus comes into play, some pineapple and clementines.

Taste- Enjoy By is much sweeter on the palate. The pineapple and orange comes through first, followed by the herbal tastes and earthiness. The finish is a little soapy and has a nice tingly bitterness. This works so well: the citrus, the earthy twist, and the bitter snap.

Mouth feel- The body is a lighter - medium and is a little too carbonated for my taste. I would prefer if the body had a little more heft and wasn't so slick.

Overall- Enjoy By is a great IPA. The flavors all hit the palate almost perfectly. And the combo of flavors make it easy to take another sip. Oh, and this beer is almost 10 percent ABV? Get out of here, because I can't taste it.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.