Join our email list →

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

pDev: 25%
Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 9.40% ABV

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,355 | Hads: 10,058

Huge hype for this brew and I went to 4 different liquor stores looking for this coveted nectar. Awesome graphic on the bottle and the premise of a drink by date only 30 days from bottle seems extreme. I was a little hesitant about the drinking only 2 weeks from the brew date but I had to give it a shot.

A - Beautiful golden- light orange color. Vibrantly clear with perfect fine white head with moderate lacing.

S - Very strong hop fragrance with tons of citrus fruit and every hop smell you would ever want all packed into one glass. Could smell it as I opened the bottle. Like a grownups candy it makes your mouth water.

T - Huge hop flavor with a full fruit hop character with citrus, tropical fruits, some pine, and dank resin hops to round out one of the most bold beers I've ever had. If you like citrus flavored hops by the bucket full this is a great beer. There is some malt and but almost no alcohol but it's all masked by the hop explosion on your taste buds. The bitterness seems clean and precise without detracting from the flavors. This is clearly a hops showcase.

M - Medium mouth-feel with perfect carbonation. Basically only the hops sit on the tongue but some how it isn't too much and I kept wanting to drink more.

Overall, probably one of the top 5 beers I've ever had. Great aroma, flavor, feel, appearance, and anything else you would desire in a DIPA. This brew is perfect for every hop head out there. This beer went down fast and it put me to sleep even faster. It's a limited release so you've got to get lucky to get a taste.

Glass- Stein

4.76/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

7-4-13 Bottle, reviewing live. (first EVER Enjoy By, believe it or not)

A - Looks like a great IPA, active carbonation streams occasionally bubble through a mass of deep gold, opaque liquid. Head comes to a couple fingers of white, thick foam that retains well and leaves beautiful lacing. Looks delicious.

S - Wow. You can smell hops, definitely citrus and pine notes, with a zesty bitterness reminiscent of fresh lemons. Smells unbelievable, I kinda just wanna sit here and inhale the aroma over and over.

T - Sweet mama, that is a hop bomb if I've ever heard of one! And I thought Ruination and Hop Stoopid had the market cornered on bitter... Well this one embraces the bitterness of the hops while leaving some breathing room for plenty of that citrus zest and sweet background. Balanced is not the right word for this. However, if you're looking for a hop bomb from hell, grab one of these!

M - Goes down smooth, hits the mouth with lively carbonation and a nice thickness that doesn't overwhelm. Feels like an easy drinker, once you're adjusted to the hop explosion.

If you're not a fan of hops, you might go ahead and try it anyway. It could very well convert you. Or kill you, whichever.

First review: t'was (currently tipsy, felling pretentious) an excellent demonstration of flavor 'complexity'... Swish it in your mouth and taste the changes! This is one of those that changes with temperature, and has an evolving aftertaste. 6th batch was indeedly a treat; smelled and tasted herbal... Basil/rosemary/other garden thangs. I'm wondering if there is any legitimacy to the drink by date-or just newly minted marketing majors making a stamp on the craftbeer scene. I'm visiting the northeast this weekend, but wish it were available back in Lousiana where I'm working. Strong work Stone.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch No. 6 (Enjoy By 4/20/13)
Poured into a Duvel Tulip

Appearance: Pours an awe inspiring goldish amber with a 2 and a half finger tall thick, white foamy head that lasts forever. It leaves absolute curtains of lacing as it slowly recedes.

Aroma: Wow, what an absolute hop bomb! Big dank hops just positively leap out of the glass towards your nose as soon as you start to pour. Tropical hop notes up front; Pineapple, kiwi, suggestions of mango and papaya, and the typical grapefruit and pine needles. A soft and gentle malty sweetness provides some nice contrast to the nose.

Taste: As soon as the beer touches your tongue, the hops absolutely explode on to your palate; notes of grapefruit, oily and resinous pine, mangoes, juicy kiwis, cantaloupe, lemon and fresh picked red berries. There is a nice, slightly bread-y maltiness to help balance out this incredible hop monster. Finishes Superbly dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, moderate to high carbonation. Very Drinkable for 9.4%.

Overall: Wow, the closest beer that I have had to tasting like Pliny the Elder(gotta love the burnt plastic taste from the insane amount of drying hopping), while still maintaining it's own identity. It honestly reminds me of a more over the top Pliny with a stronger emphasis on the more tropical side of hops. The previous batch I had,"Enjoy By 2/15/13" tasted a bit less convoluted hop wise, but Stone really, really impressed me with this one. Still no Pliny killer/contender, but this is damn close. I'm definitely going to try to snag this FRESH as much as I possibly can!

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

This was the 11.12.13 vintage. Beautiful pour from a growler with a nice head. One of my favorite things when sipping this was the smell each time I put the glass near my mouth.
I have a weakness for Stone beer and consider them probably the best brewery out there. But this double IPA was as smooth tasting as if not more than the other Stone Beers I have enjoyed. Factor in that is 9.5 ABV but you do not taste the alchohol makes this a rare treat. If you have a chance to get this fresh beer, jump on it.
Please note that the 4.75 on overall instead of 5 is only due to the cost.
But hey you have to spoil yourself every now and then.

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

Serving: 22 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (12.26.14 release).

Appearance: Clear, bright gold. Persistent white foam with lingering lace.

Smell: Citrus, pine and some fresh onions and mustiness.

Taste: Caramel malt and slight honey sweetness with layers of hops: citrus zest, resin, herbs and savory vegetal notes. Good bitterness level.

Mouthfeel: Medium, slightly oily body.
Medium to soft carbonation.

Overall: Plenty of good hop notes with balancing malt sweetness, but some off key vegetal tones detract a bit.

3.35/5  rDev -23.9%

Stone Enjoy By 12.21.12 Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a golden color that is easily seen through. No head to speak of. Very slight lacing.

S: Lemon citrus and pine, very similar to Pliny smell. Very strong pine.

T: Very clean and crisp IPA. Nothing special IMO, I prefer a east coast IPA style and this is very clearly West Coast style.

M: Medium body, sweet, no carbonation.

O: Very clean crisp IPA, but I wont be buying it again. Very lemon/pine strong taste. If I was a big fan of the West Coast clean crisp style I would enjoy this beer more.

4.23/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 07.04.15.

12 oz. bottle into a tulip. Pours a very clear golden with a moderate amount of carbonation. 1/2 a finger of white foam initially, but quickly dissolves down into a thin film. Dank, piney, sticky aroma on this beer, with a hint of sweet fruit. Light weight and a very lively mouthfeel. Dank pine and hop bitterness right away on the taste. A little bit of grapefruit middleways, but this beer is all about the hops. More dankness and pine resin on the back end, with an earthy bitterness left on the aftertaste.

Overall, not bad, but nothing like what I expected. This beer tastes like liquid marijuana, at least to me. I usually love my IPAs more pine-forward, but this one was different from any I've ever had. Definitely an A beer, but I'll admit I'm slightly let down.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look – Thin, white head. Bright, golden translucent body.

Smell – What you expect a dank to smell like. Dirty, YMCA shower before going to the pool.

Taste – Where is the alcohol? Sweet grapefruit taste. Bitter aftertaste.

Feel – Feels heavier than expected. Filling. Not much expansion.

Overall – I like this dank IPA, but that is what I go for in IPAs. It is a hit it and quit it release.

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into IPA glass. The color is a pretty golden yellow with a thick, white head and lacing. The smell is a very nice - floral, hoppy, pine, with abundant grapefruit and sweeter fruits. The taste really follows the nose. Dry, bitter, biting, with both grapefruit and sweeter fruit. This is a classic West Coast IPA: big, bold, bitter, hoppy, and delicious! It is pleasantly carbonated and easy to drink. This is a great IPA!

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Gorgeous, crystal clear, Amber body with a soapy white head. Sticky, clingly lace.
Earthy and dank but with good malt.
The taste is poolish, water cracker malts followed by a fully piney, dankness. Nice citrus peppery finish. Slight alcohol aftertaste.
Medium full body. Nice carbonation.
Very nice double ipa.

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fifth batch, 4.01.13. Had on 3-7-13 Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A - pours a nice golden, amber with a fingers worth of head on it.

S - hoppy smell right off the bat. Piney dankness with sweet notes of grapefruit.

T - there is a lot going on in the taste of this beer, all good. Right up front there's a sweet yet sharp tartness to it. Notes of mango, bitterness, grapefruit with a little booziness to it but not strong and overpowering as with most Stone beers. Very easy to drink with a dry, bitter finish.

O - I've never been a huge fan of Stone's stuff because the taste of the majority of their beers are very overpowering to the point where I can't drink it comfortably. This one, however, is completely different. Very easy to drink yet still maintaining that strengthness thats become a hallmark of Stone. A complex mixture of flavors going back and forth with each sip. Excellent beer and very well balanced. I really love this beer. I had it on tap in Waterbury, VT and it was just as delicious and refreshing as the bottle. Complete success with this beer.

4.34/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bomber, bottled on 3/15. 4 days old!

A: Clear, straw colored body. Typical of most Stone IPAs. Nice head and retention.

S: Citrus fruit cocktail, hops and a hint of alcohol. Just a huge nose.

T: Huge hop flavor on the front of the tongue, tropical fruit. Mild bitterness. Very light malt backbone with a dry finish.

M: Good carbonation. Really a pleasure to drink for a 9.4% beer.

O: Great beer. I'll pick up a bottle again if I see it.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13

A – The beer pours an incredibly clear and filtered golden orange, almost the like the color of Honey. A foamy two finger head formed as I poured it into my crate and barrel snifter. The head seemed to stick around for some time eventually receding leaving behind some serious lacing.

S – The aroma of this batch is less pungent than I remember from previous examples of the beer, but it still is very citrus forward, with tones of lemon zest, fresh squeezed orange juice and the traditional pineapple an mango hints. There is a strong hop presence with this beer, as its fairly piney and resiny.

T – Huge, bitter resinous hop flavors dominate the front of the beer, followed by the citrusy components I detected in the aroma. Although delicious, this is a very bitter beer, unlike Sucks or Heady which are very tropical and citrus forward. That’s not a negative nock against the beer, just an observation. The taste finishes of very dry with slight bready malt flavors.

M – Fairly light mouth. Fairly astringent (not in a bad way) with a nice dry finish. The high abv is undetectable as I feel little to no heat from the beer.

O – This is not the first Enjoy By I’ve had as its come around my area twice now. I regret not reviewing it the first time as I thought that batch was significantly better. Part of me is really disappointed by the inconsistency I perceive from batch to batch, but the other part of me is loving the brilliance and the quality of this beer. The idea of dating the beers like this is brilliant and I will continue to buy them every chance get because I will always know how old they are without digging for the date. Well done Stone!

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Consistently impressive west coast DIPA. Has that prototypical yellow-gold color I associate with wcipas. Nose is super piney with a hint of citrus. This is 7.4.14 and I think it's less citrusy than previous ones. Mouthfeel is light but creamy, yet it still carries a bite. Aftertaste is really dry. This is a liquid pine cone that nearly bites your face off.

3.36/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this tonight on-tap side-by-side with lunch from Maine. The lunch was sooo much better that it may influence my relatively low rating. This beer had a somewhat soapy taste and while there was a lot of hop bitterness up front, there wasn't too much balance. Also the smell was pretty run of the mill with some mediocre pine and citrus but nothing that really stood out. Maybe Stone advertising the freshness has led to this one being though of more highly than it should otherwise be. I will revisit in bottle form though.

4.17/5  rDev -5.2%

Enjoyed the 12.21.12 version on 12/22/12.. oops!

A = Golden amber, pretty clear, with medium-light carbonation and a thin head of light foam.

S = Even one day late, full of vibrant, fresh hops. Citrus, grapefruit, west coast hops.

T = Lots of hop flavor, though maybe not quite as much as the aroma would imply. Citrus, tropical fruit, a bit resinous. A decent amount of sweetness and malt to balance. Not particularly caramely.

M = Just right, medium body with a drying finish. Yum.

O = This is a great beer, that I need to get next year even fresher.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.14.15 - Enjoy By Pi

This is my first Enjoy By, so I can't speak to past iterations. That said, this is a amazing DIPA.

L: Amber hue with crystal clarity. Solid head with really nice lacing.

S: Floral but with nice pine notes. I typically love citrus bombs, but the smell here is really inviting.

T: Sweet malt up front, but finishes with a nice piney, pithy hop bite. Really interesting balance at play with this beer.

F: Perfect carbonation, I can't believe the ABV is 9.4% because this is easy to sip. Something else interesting about this beer, it's literally mouth watering--the same way fresh squeezed juice is. But make not mistake, it still has a dry finish.

O: I love when beer lives up to the hype, and this definitely does. This style of DIPAs is not what I usually reach for (like I said, I love big citrus DIPAs), but this is fantastic. Definitely a world-class brew. If you can get your hands on it then scoop it up.

(Updated: I had this beer again 8 days before the drink by date, the booziness was much more evident than the first two bottles I had. It was also much sweeter than my prior two sittings. I guess there is something to that freshness dating.)

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours clear golden with a thin off-white top that clings a bit. Aroma is really nice, even though I'm 6 days late! Lots of tropical fruit mixes with a caramel malt. Similar in flavor, a nice malt backbone smooth a never-overwhelming blast of fruity and citrus hop flavors. Finishes slightly dry and slightly bitter.

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

12.21.12

Smell is nice tropical fruits - citrus, pineapple, bit of grass, earthiness, some pine. Very hoppy, but not overwhelming. Slightly skunky.

Taste follows the smell. Pretty similar. Very grassy. Pretty hoppy, but actually not very bitter surprisingly. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is fine. Pretty light and dry, but slightly undercarbonated.

4.87/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Batch #7 - 05.17.13
My first Enjoy By. Would have liked to do a comparison between others, or even with Ruination. Fantastic aroma - poured into a pint glass, almost clear yellow in color with slight head, lacing down the glass. Quite enjoyed this (no pun intended) and am looking forward to more!

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Enjoy By 12/13/13, bottle shared at Albany Taproom

Last night's tasting showed a lot of bright fruit, tangerine, odd citrus like calamansi or yuzu, really great stuff. Much more hop complexity and vibrant nose than my first experience with Enjoy By 04.02.13. I'll look for this again and hopefully rate higher if there's consistency with recent taste. Glad I got to try this again, I see what the fuss is about now.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Pours a nice golden color with a two finger head. Nice retention and blotchy lacing.
S: Very hoppy, lots of floral pine and grapefruit citrus. Light malts.
T: Same as the smell. Big pine presence and citrus. Slightly funky aftertaste.
M: Bitter and dry. Medium light on the palate.
O: A good offering for the style.

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%

Stone enjoy by 12-26-2014 double ipa, growler purchased at CBX in Charleston.
A: pours a brilliant 3 finger white foam head, crystal clear golden body, some stringy lacing
S: tropical fruits, mango, candied fruits, sweet orange, light malt
M: medium creamy body, crisp slightly dry finish
T: grapefruit, orange, citrus, mango, fruity, grapefruit rind, slight pine resin, biscuit, light malt
O:fantastic brew, one of the best in the enjoy by series!

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Here's the quick and dirty. My bottle was dated "Enjoy By 4-20-14".

If you've had a west coast IPA, this one has everything you would expect, simply done to the highest level of quality. Without mincing words, this is the best west coast IPA I have ever had in a bottle. Nuff said.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.