Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,430 | Reviews: 1,439
4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just grabbed today; bomber poured into tulip glass -- Have had many of the other Enjoy By releases, but reviewing 4.20.14.

A: Dark copper, but fairly transparent; very thin head that dissipates within a few minutes.

S: All-consuming, dank hop character; tropical, warm and intoxicating.

T: Hoppy, tropical and dank (sound familiar?). The beer makes no qualms about what it is: A West Coast DIPA.

M: Warm and oily with mild carbonation and a full finish.

O: I'll preface this with the fact that 4.20.14 is slightly different than other Enjoy Bys, but that said, it still stays true to the original recipe. It's more dank than usual, yet you're still looking at the same overwhelming hop aroma and flavors bombarding you throughout (in a great way).

4.21/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bomber into snifter glasses.
Pours a nice medium amber, decent to moderate head.
Aromas are very nice, sweetness, hoppiness, little malt notes.
Taste is really, really nice. A lot of tropical fruit, pineapple, very little bitterness.
My favorite Stone beer by far.
A very nice IPA not trying to be a bitter bomb from Stone. Good work.

4.14/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Finally got to cross this one off my want list. Bought a bottle of 07-04-14 last week and popped it open for the USA Ghana World Cup game. Great/lucky win by the way.

I'm getting a lot of booze and onion in the taste. It reminds me of FFF Arctic Panzer Wolf and a better version of the regular Stone IPA. While very good, it just seems overrated and overpriced. I can find local IPA's that are more satisfying.

4.54/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - slightly clouds, limited head

S - smells of hops and grapefruit

T - grapefruit flavor, alcohol taste, maltiness, lingering hop bitterness

M - creamy, smooth, drinkable

O - pretty good beer, to be expected as Stone is an IPA expert. Pretty much any IPA they touch is good.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 9.13.13, enjoyed on 8.23.13.

Bottle to tulip.

A: Straw color that is slightly golden. Aggressive pour yielded a healthy head that retreated to a frothy rim and minor film. Excellent lacing.

S: Moderate to strong fragrance. Bursts of resin, citrus, grapefruit, straw, and pine. Very well balanced aromas. A tiny bit of booze as it opens.

T: The citrus that is noticeable on the nose turns mostly to pine and resin in the taste. Very strong hop bitterness. Not much booze in the taste, well hidden, even after it opens.

M: Slightly harsh, but a clean finish. High carbonation.

O: Not in my precise IPA wheelhouse, but I certainly enjoyed this beer. I will certainly enjoy it again next time it comes around. I really enjoyed the multi-layer aromas. This beer changes slightly as it opens, but its better darn good crisp and cold.

3.99/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Crystal clear orange with a medium super foamy head. Plenty of tiny bubbles.

S: Pine. Flowers. Peach.

T: heavy grapefruit. Pine resin. A little sweet malt character. Alcohol tones. Heavy bitterness.

M: medium body. Medium carbonation.

O: BIG IPA. Huge hops. Big alcohol presence. A little too much for me. But good for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

4/20/14 enjoy by date.

A: Brilliantly clear amber/golden body with small amount of head. A small amount of lacing persists as the head recedes.

S: Good lord I could smell this beauty from five feet away when it was cracked. Intense mango, orange zest, and a bit of grapefruit in the nose. A bit of malt sweetness comes through as it warms. Wish they made car fresheners that smelled like this.

F: Resinous hops. Passionfruit/mango followed by some pine. A bit of crackery malt followed by warming alcohol and an assertive punch of bitterness. Delicious.

M: Medium bodied with slick hop oil covering the palate. Prickly carbonation persists throughout.

Overall just a fantastic beer. When fresh it is borderline sensory overload. Love this stuff. It probably helps that Nelson and Galaxy are two of my favorite hops.

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By Pi (3.14.15), sadly sampled a little late, but still terrific. Nose could be more pungent, but excellent dry, pale-malt grainy notes mingle with floral sugariness and hints on limey pine. The color and flavor match the dexterity of the aroma, but with greater and more assured—though still ultimately mild and measured—intensity: pale, round golden-brown chromatics meet rich, grassy sugars and juicy, soft-touch hops, featuring notes of papaya, nasturtium, and hints of lemon-zest.

Great balance, great depth, great freshness and refreshment.

4.34/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bomber, bottled on 3/15. 4 days old!

A: Clear, straw colored body. Typical of most Stone IPAs. Nice head and retention.

S: Citrus fruit cocktail, hops and a hint of alcohol. Just a huge nose.

T: Huge hop flavor on the front of the tongue, tropical fruit. Mild bitterness. Very light malt backbone with a dry finish.

M: Good carbonation. Really a pleasure to drink for a 9.4% beer.

O: Great beer. I'll pick up a bottle again if I see it.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bomber/On tap (07.04.14) at Mad Mex (different dates)

Appearance: Orange golden color with a frothy one finger light beige head. Phenomenal lacing

Smell: Bright tropical fruits, light citrus, pine, slight onion; Very dank. My nose picked up the aromas from an arms length away and my brothers from across the table! The most aromatic IPA I've ever smelled

Taste: Once again, super dank. The tropical fruits hit you upfront, then comes the hop resin, pine, and light citrus.. along with a undertone of malt sweetness that balances it all out that fades into a pleasant aftertaste that lingers

Mouthfeel: Medium body; Smooth yet enough bitterness that lets you know its an IPA. Goes down extremely well for a beer pushing 10% abv

Overall: I have yet to try PtE, the "big" three Vermont beers, or some other highly rated IPAs/IIPAs, but this is certainly the best representation of the style I've had thus far. I had both the bomber and tap and although both were amazing, it was even that much better on tap. Stone beers tend to be past their prime by the time they get to my area, where the hops fade, leaving a malt and onion mess. But with this, I know each batch will be fresh. At just over a week since bottling, this is one of the freshest bottles I've ever had, and it shows. Enormous vibrant hop presence that I enjoy in an IPA without being too aggressive. We have a real winner here! Worth the $9 (with tax) price tag for a guaranteed fresh bomber of this quality brew. Can't recommend this one enough, and absolutely worth the hype. Enjoy!

4.2/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Enjoy By 02.14.15. It was excellent. I am not generally a fan of their IPA (or the Delicious IPA) but this was fantastic and would drink again and again.

Update. 04.20.15 was also fantastic. Obviously.

4.29/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have tried several different dates and they are all top notch. One of my favorite IPAs out there. Nice floral scent with a smooth taste not as bitter as other Stone beers. I will buy this everytime I have the chance.

3.1/5  rDev -30%

had on tap, smell was good but taste was way too bitter, maybe this was a bad batch

4.83/5  rDev +9%

Here's the quick and dirty. My bottle was dated "Enjoy By 4-20-14".

If you've had a west coast IPA, this one has everything you would expect, simply done to the highest level of quality. Without mincing words, this is the best west coast IPA I have ever had in a bottle. Nuff said.

4.24/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Consistently impressive west coast DIPA. Has that prototypical yellow-gold color I associate with wcipas. Nose is super piney with a hint of citrus. This is 7.4.14 and I think it's less citrusy than previous ones. Mouthfeel is light but creamy, yet it still carries a bite. Aftertaste is really dry. This is a liquid pine cone that nearly bites your face off.

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 2.14.14 is easily the best batch of this beer that I have had the pleasure of having. I'm not exactly sure how much of this has to do with me getting it a mere two weeks since it was bottled (and about six days since it arrived in stores), since I had the other two batches I've gotten my hands on a little later than that. Perhaps there's something to do with recipe variation...Who knows. All I can say is, I am blown away by how complex this batch is: incredibly juicy and aromatic and the carbonation and mouthfeel are super spot-on. And where is that alcohol!? Hats off to Stone, the standard bearer of hoppy beer.
---
Finally I have my hands on the much sought after Stone Enjoy By IPA. Very excited to get this into a glass and see what all the hype is about. The specific batch I'm reviewing is Enjoy By 4/1/13 and I consumed it on 3/20/13. I would have loved to drink it sooner, but I'm sure it's still in excellent condition.

Appearance (4.25/5): Pours a nearly clear orange-copper color. Two fingers of white head on a moderate pour. Decent head retention. Plenty of sticky, resinous lacing clings to the sides of my DFH signature snifter. This is what I want my IPA's to look like.

Smell (4.5/5): Nose is super hoppy–dank pine aromas rise from the glass, with citrus pine and tropical fruit adding that mixture of fruit sweetness and bitter twang. Actually quite balanced for a beer billed as a palate destroyer. Smells incredibly fresh and really reminds me of fresh Union Jack IPA in that there's a nice touch of malt sweetness alongside the grapefruit and dank pine going on here.

Taste (4.5/5): This one starts out sweet and then the hops explode...Tropical fruit flavors of passion fruit and tangerine come on in the beginning to open up the tongue with some nice sweeter hop flavors before giving way in the middle to huge, bitter pink grapefruit and pine flavors. That quintessential West Coast hope profile is here but amped up considerably. Excellent flavors here; nothing super complicated tasting, just very well executed. No alcohol in the flavor, so kudos to the brewers on masking the high ABV well.

Mouthfeel (4.75/5): The most remarkable thing about this beer is its bone dry finish. I am not sure if I've ever had an IPA whose finish mimics the aftertaste of grapefruit so well, and I love it. The dryness invites you to go back for another sip, and there's no problem with that–this beer is very drinkable. Carbonation is medium–right where it should be–and body is medium. Great feel all around.

Overall (4.5/5): I really love this beer and would gladly buy 10 more bottles of it if I could. It's what fresh IPA is all about–the bitterness, the citric bite, the dry finish, the drinkability and refreshing qualities...they're all here in spades. I would love to have this beer even earlier in its life. Maybe next time a batch comes to Illinois or Massachusetts. Until next time, remember friends: drink it fresh.

4.65/5  rDev +5%

Enjoy by 4/20. Bomber to a snifter, really high expectations

Pours a deep gold, perfect balance between yellow and orange with a finger of foam that has some impressive retention. Beautiful transparency and very little carbonation. Nice sticky lacing, five minutes now and almost all the head is still there. I can't find any faults with it

Aroma of strong hops with a powerful grapefruit back bone. Lemon and lime zest pick through along with a nice earthy pine and some grass. Malts are well disguised yet present, sweet bread along with a touch of caramel. A little bit of alcohol comes through on the finish, everything comes together pretty well

Taste- follows the nose well, straight forward hop bomb with a strong grapefruit along with other citrus esters, lime really coming through for me. The malts through in the middle, sweeter than I was expecting but balancing the bitterness well. The end leaves a nice after taste of alcohol and citrus

The feel is pretty good also, very crisp and even with a solid medium body. There's some heat on the way down, as is expected at 9.4% and a week old which is pleasantly warming. Very dry and sticky finish, everything hold up with the rest of the beer

Overall this stuff wasn't quite what I was expecting, but pretty good anyway, as are all of Stone's brews. Working in shipping, I can appreciate the logistics of the beers concept, but wouldn't advise ordering one for 10$ (and then $20 for shipping) online like I did. I'm not sure it will ever come to my region, so I'll probably have to start trading if I want another, in which case I'd recommend it. Really glad I finally got to try this

4.22/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Pours a nice golden color with a two finger head. Nice retention and blotchy lacing.
S: Very hoppy, lots of floral pine and grapefruit citrus. Light malts.
T: Same as the smell. Big pine presence and citrus. Slightly funky aftertaste.
M: Bitter and dry. Medium light on the palate.
O: A good offering for the style.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had 4.20.15 for this one

4.52/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally decided to review this beer after many many bottles and a few on-tap. This stuff is good, like REALLY good. I'm surprised it isn't rated higher than it is really. This is a serious Imperial IPA. It tastes like one, smells like one, etc. Its probably a little sweeter and malty'er than any other double I have had, and I personally attribute that to the freshness. This months bottle, 04-20-2014 is probably the best one I've had. I'm sure that's just a coincidence... If you have not tried this offering from Stone, try it out ASAP. You probably are not going to find anything better anytime soon. There are few others out there that compete, but are not nearly as READILY AVAILABLE as Stone Enjoy By. Tastes absolutely fantastic straight from a bottle, but if you must, pour it into a glass and do all that looking and sniffing, then gulp it down all the same. Enjoy!

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13.
22oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours golden orange, very little white head, lacing sticking around longer then expected. 4.25

Aroma-grapefruit, orange, mango, pineapple, honeysuckle, fresh floral, brown sugar 4.5

Taste-not as strong citrus as aroma but still prevalent. Grapefruit, dried apricot, piney, mango, hint of maple, green apple. 4.5

Feel-medium to full bodied, coats mouth fully, great bitter aftertaste, feels like a Double. 4.75

Overall-One thing stone does right, their beer is bold and feels bold. It might not be the tastiest double out their but it holds it own. Where this beer really leads the pack is in the mouthfeel, its thick, hoppy, and bitter, the three things I want in a double. DIPA's are supposed to be juggernauts and this one is. 4.5

4.79/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 Ounce bottle poured into a 12 ounce.
12.13.13 Bottle Opened 11-15

This is one of my favorite IPA's. This was a good one, but I'm still searching for that first time. This is still a great IPA. Meant to drink fresh, can't get any better.

A - Clear and fresh looking with a nice 1 inch foamy head. Golden clear liquid.

S - Smell is amazing with fruits hops pine, citrus, tropical fruits.

T - Taste is much the same with upfront fruits some Apricot and honey. The hoppiness onslaught comes after the initial taste. Outstanding Taste, very refreshing.

M - Light bodied imperial IPA at 9.4%.

4.66/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

5.17.13 batch.

pour is a tangerine tinted gold. Nice a clear. Finger of white head fading quickly, but lots of lovely lacing.

Nose is everything I could ever want in a DIPA. Sticky, citrus sweetness with that lovely hint of pine. Really quite perfect.

Taste is just as incredible. Citrus forward, with grapefruit, mango, and honey with a lovely floral component. Follows by perfect hoppy bitterness, with lovely pine resin stank.

Mouth feel is pretty spot on, but just a tad thinner than I would want to go along with the flavors.

Awesome beer. So fresh and clean. If Stone keeps doing this, it's worth buying every time.

9.13.13 batch

So glad it's back in ct! Beautiful pour. Nose is soo insanely juicy. Mango. Tangerine. Cantaloupe. Flavor is super citrusy up front but bigger hop on the end. Seems a little more dry and less sticky than my last batch. Regardless, heavenly.

It's alright. Not blown away by the 4-20

4.87/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Batch #7 - 05.17.13
My first Enjoy By. Would have liked to do a comparison between others, or even with Ruination. Fantastic aroma - poured into a pint glass, almost clear yellow in color with slight head, lacing down the glass. Quite enjoyed this (no pun intended) and am looking forward to more!

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.