Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,261 | Hads: 9,598
4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

4/20/14 enjoy by date.

A: Brilliantly clear amber/golden body with small amount of head. A small amount of lacing persists as the head recedes.

S: Good lord I could smell this beauty from five feet away when it was cracked. Intense mango, orange zest, and a bit of grapefruit in the nose. A bit of malt sweetness comes through as it warms. Wish they made car fresheners that smelled like this.

F: Resinous hops. Passionfruit/mango followed by some pine. A bit of crackery malt followed by warming alcohol and an assertive punch of bitterness. Delicious.

M: Medium bodied with slick hop oil covering the palate. Prickly carbonation persists throughout.

Overall just a fantastic beer. When fresh it is borderline sensory overload. Love this stuff. It probably helps that Nelson and Galaxy are two of my favorite hops.

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 5/17/13, enjoyed on 5/16/13, just under the wire.

A: Absolutely gorgeous. A clear golden amber with a big, rocky white head that lingers and laces. This is the platonic pale ale, appearance-wise.

S: Even with one day to go, it smells like brewday. Citrusy and resinous. Floral, a little early.

T/M: A total hop showcase, unsurprisingly. Grapefruit and other citrus. Nicely bitter, persistent but not overwhelming. A tiny bit of alcohol. Not much malt flavor to speak of. Mouthfeel's on the thick side for the style, very low carbonation.

O: I think Enjoy By is one of the better innovations in craft beer recently. Putting a hard deadline on an IPA is brilliant.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

It poured with a big frothy head that quickly dissipates. It has low retention and very little lacing. It has a bready aroma with big grapefruit notes. It tastes almost like it smells. Bready upfront and then turns to a grapefruit taste with a great finish. It has a decent body but I hoped it would be a little bigger and good carbonation that still tingles your tongue after you swallow. The fact that they hidnthe 9.5% abv makes this a great mouthfeel. This is a good beer and the one that had was from the 7th batch. It is the Enjoy By 5.17.13 and I enjoyed it on 5.11.13 so I was close to the expiration date. Good beer and I would like to try other batches.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Got a Bomber of it poured into a pint glass, Pours a nice clear golden color.
Smell: Smells great, likes grapefruits and i kinda get a smell of onion almost like they were cooked.
Taste: not as bitter as i was expecting, and again that onion/ garlic flavor in the back end.
Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated.
Overall: Pretty good, I expected something different. I would drink again.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.20.14 bottled 3/13/14. Poured into a large snifter and enjoyed over an hour.

A - What more could you want in a beers appearance? On this one maybe just some chunkier lacing. Bright orange, slight copper tinge that glows in the glass and is capped with a 1 finger bright white head. Nice thin lacing on the glass as you drink.

S - Dank? Hell yes. Big citrus and peach notes, pine, slight caramel, more pine notes, floral and herbal undertones. Citrus distinguishes itself as grapefruit and orange.

T - Follows the nose, big citrus flavors of mostly grapefruit send some orange cutting in. Peach rounds it out and is prominent with the citrus notes. Just enough caramel like sweetness to cut through the bitterness. Piney, resinous, dank and citrusy. The flavor is so bold and big my palate was shot at the end of this bomber. Bitterness was perfect, right where I'd like my DIPA. Spot on for me. Only criticism, little hot, that 9.4% ABV comes through as it warms and it does detract a bit.

M - Fuller side of medium body. Nice carbonation that carries the flavor and a coating body with a crisp semi dry finish. Could be cleaner, this beer hung around after each sip.

O - A spot on DIPA, guaranteed fresh, and amazing balance. With a cleaner finish and maybe a lower ABV this could be a Heady killer. Either way, it's a world class DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from 22oz boomer into tulip glass. 1finger fluffy head dissipates quickly. Golden, almost cloudy color. Smell: not much cold. A little alcohol and grapefruit as it warms. Taste: apricot, peach, grapefruit at the end strong grapefruit finishing into bitter hops. Mouthfeel: smooth and fresh, not syrupy or sticky. Light crisp carbonation. Overall: terrific IPA, very we'll balanced and full of flavor. wish there was a bit more complexity, but very enjoyable!

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Here's the quick and dirty. My bottle was dated "Enjoy By 4-20-14".

If you've had a west coast IPA, this one has everything you would expect, simply done to the highest level of quality. Without mincing words, this is the best west coast IPA I have ever had in a bottle. Nuff said.

4.51/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13.
22oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours golden orange, very little white head, lacing sticking around longer then expected. 4.25

Aroma-grapefruit, orange, mango, pineapple, honeysuckle, fresh floral, brown sugar 4.5

Taste-not as strong citrus as aroma but still prevalent. Grapefruit, dried apricot, piney, mango, hint of maple, green apple. 4.5

Feel-medium to full bodied, coats mouth fully, great bitter aftertaste, feels like a Double. 4.75

Overall-One thing stone does right, their beer is bold and feels bold. It might not be the tastiest double out their but it holds it own. Where this beer really leads the pack is in the mouthfeel, its thick, hoppy, and bitter, the three things I want in a double. DIPA's are supposed to be juggernauts and this one is. 4.5

4.98/5  rDev +13.2%

Great looking beer and the smell is like a bunch of IPA's rolled into one. I'm getting tropical fruits, berries, flowery a bit of that onion and grassy smell. NIce bite up front evolving into a slightly boozy, big hop bomb. Every smell is in the flavor leaving that tongue scrubbing bitterness and some warmth from the 9.4. I love how Stone has no reservations and just serves up a huge double IPA with a take no prisoners attitude. Not for a person that just wants to have session beers. This ones huge!

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Heavytaste for sending me two of these, an awesome Beer Advocate and great trading partner.

I really looked forward to getting this one. Smell was amazing , is this really a Stone beer? If I didn't know better I would have thought I was drinking an Alpine.

Tasted very good, very Alpine like.

Hats off to Stone for a great beer and also for fighting the fight of freshness. Awesome marketing campaign. Other brewers , take note, your beer may be equal to or better than Stone, but I will reach for Stone every time because of the enjoy by date and the commitment for IPA lovers to get fresh beer.

4.51/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 2.14.14 is easily the best batch of this beer that I have had the pleasure of having. I'm not exactly sure how much of this has to do with me getting it a mere two weeks since it was bottled (and about six days since it arrived in stores), since I had the other two batches I've gotten my hands on a little later than that. Perhaps there's something to do with recipe variation...Who knows. All I can say is, I am blown away by how complex this batch is: incredibly juicy and aromatic and the carbonation and mouthfeel are super spot-on. And where is that alcohol!? Hats off to Stone, the standard bearer of hoppy beer.
Finally I have my hands on the much sought after Stone Enjoy By IPA. Very excited to get this into a glass and see what all the hype is about. The specific batch I'm reviewing is Enjoy By 4/1/13 and I consumed it on 3/20/13. I would have loved to drink it sooner, but I'm sure it's still in excellent condition.

Appearance (4.25/5): Pours a nearly clear orange-copper color. Two fingers of white head on a moderate pour. Decent head retention. Plenty of sticky, resinous lacing clings to the sides of my DFH signature snifter. This is what I want my IPA's to look like.

Smell (4.5/5): Nose is super hoppy–dank pine aromas rise from the glass, with citrus pine and tropical fruit adding that mixture of fruit sweetness and bitter twang. Actually quite balanced for a beer billed as a palate destroyer. Smells incredibly fresh and really reminds me of fresh Union Jack IPA in that there's a nice touch of malt sweetness alongside the grapefruit and dank pine going on here.

Taste (4.5/5): This one starts out sweet and then the hops explode...Tropical fruit flavors of passion fruit and tangerine come on in the beginning to open up the tongue with some nice sweeter hop flavors before giving way in the middle to huge, bitter pink grapefruit and pine flavors. That quintessential West Coast hope profile is here but amped up considerably. Excellent flavors here; nothing super complicated tasting, just very well executed. No alcohol in the flavor, so kudos to the brewers on masking the high ABV well.

Mouthfeel (4.75/5): The most remarkable thing about this beer is its bone dry finish. I am not sure if I've ever had an IPA whose finish mimics the aftertaste of grapefruit so well, and I love it. The dryness invites you to go back for another sip, and there's no problem with that–this beer is very drinkable. Carbonation is medium–right where it should be–and body is medium. Great feel all around.

Overall (4.5/5): I really love this beer and would gladly buy 10 more bottles of it if I could. It's what fresh IPA is all about–the bitterness, the citric bite, the dry finish, the drinkability and refreshing qualities...they're all here in spades. I would love to have this beer even earlier in its life. Maybe next time a batch comes to Illinois or Massachusetts. Until next time, remember friends: drink it fresh.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Enjoy by 4/20. Bomber to a snifter, really high expectations

Pours a deep gold, perfect balance between yellow and orange with a finger of foam that has some impressive retention. Beautiful transparency and very little carbonation. Nice sticky lacing, five minutes now and almost all the head is still there. I can't find any faults with it

Aroma of strong hops with a powerful grapefruit back bone. Lemon and lime zest pick through along with a nice earthy pine and some grass. Malts are well disguised yet present, sweet bread along with a touch of caramel. A little bit of alcohol comes through on the finish, everything comes together pretty well

Taste- follows the nose well, straight forward hop bomb with a strong grapefruit along with other citrus esters, lime really coming through for me. The malts through in the middle, sweeter than I was expecting but balancing the bitterness well. The end leaves a nice after taste of alcohol and citrus

The feel is pretty good also, very crisp and even with a solid medium body. There's some heat on the way down, as is expected at 9.4% and a week old which is pleasantly warming. Very dry and sticky finish, everything hold up with the rest of the beer

Overall this stuff wasn't quite what I was expecting, but pretty good anyway, as are all of Stone's brews. Working in shipping, I can appreciate the logistics of the beers concept, but wouldn't advise ordering one for 10$ (and then $20 for shipping) online like I did. I'm not sure it will ever come to my region, so I'll probably have to start trading if I want another, in which case I'd recommend it. Really glad I finally got to try this

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

Serving: 22 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (12.26.14 release).

Appearance: Clear, bright gold. Persistent white foam with lingering lace.

Smell: Citrus, pine and some fresh onions and mustiness.

Taste: Caramel malt and slight honey sweetness with layers of hops: citrus zest, resin, herbs and savory vegetal notes. Good bitterness level.

Mouthfeel: Medium, slightly oily body.
Medium to soft carbonation.

Overall: Plenty of good hop notes with balancing malt sweetness, but some off key vegetal tones detract a bit.

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

5.17.13 batch.

pour is a tangerine tinted gold. Nice a clear. Finger of white head fading quickly, but lots of lovely lacing.

Nose is everything I could ever want in a DIPA. Sticky, citrus sweetness with that lovely hint of pine. Really quite perfect.

Taste is just as incredible. Citrus forward, with grapefruit, mango, and honey with a lovely floral component. Follows by perfect hoppy bitterness, with lovely pine resin stank.

Mouth feel is pretty spot on, but just a tad thinner than I would want to go along with the flavors.

Awesome beer. So fresh and clean. If Stone keeps doing this, it's worth buying every time.

9.13.13 batch

So glad it's back in ct! Beautiful pour. Nose is soo insanely juicy. Mango. Tangerine. Cantaloupe. Flavor is super citrusy up front but bigger hop on the end. Seems a little more dry and less sticky than my last batch. Regardless, heavenly.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. This is the third batch, Enjoy By 12-21-12. Bottled on date of 11-16-12. I was unable to find the first batch around here a few months back, but was happy to see tons of this third batch around.

A- Pours a light golden color. This beer is very clear, and leaves about a half finger worth of white colored head. Some lacing along the sides of the glass is visible.

S- A nice aromatic beer. Lots of mango, grapefruit, orange, and pine hops on the smell.

T- This one is tasty. The hops shine through in the taste as expected. Pine dominates in the hop taste over anything else. Some citrus is in there too but not nearly as notable as the pine.

M- Light to medium bodied, well carbonated, bitter, dry finish. This beer does not drink like 9.4%ABV, a very easy drinker.

Another great IPA by Stone. It's up there with Ruination and Ruination 10th as one of my favorite IPAs from them.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this puppy on tap at bottle revolution in Raleigh NC. Was so much better than I remembered.

Appearance- Beautiful sunset orange with lots of bubbles streaming up to the top with about a half finger of egg white head that disappeared quickly. Awesome.

Smell- Wow. This is amazing. Smells like I'm sticking my nose in a bag of tropical fruits and hops. What I get is hops, mango, peach, grapefruit, slight bread malty notes. Just epic smells.

Taste. Holy crap this is so much more fruit-forward than the October 2013 version. Follows the nose precisely. Tastes like hopped up fruit juice. Just an amazing, and probably my favorite IPA currently.

Mouthfeel- Super carbinated and drinks dangerously well for a 9.4 % beer.

Overall- This is easily Stone's best beer. And that's saying a lot. Amazing.

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%

Enjoy By 4/20/14

A - Pours a remarkably clear pale orange, with a finger of head that clears out quickly, but leaves nice sticky lacing.

S - wow, they aren't kidding with that "devastatingly dank" tag line. I get big swampy dank notes of raw hops. I just finished brewing a batch of beer and the nose on this beer is like ziplock baggies of pure hop pellets. It smells green -- grass, marijuana, green onion, lemon grass, with faint touches of pine and mango.

T - Big, concentrated doses of mango, pineapple, onion, with a tinge of lemon and pine around the edges. Juicy middle; bitter and savory on the back end.

M - mouthfeel is big and full, with ample sweetness, but a dry finish.

Overall, this is a big, in your face DIPA with nothing to hide. It may be the most savory IPA I've ever had. This is the first time that all those descriptors like onion, garlic and cat piss really resounded with me. There is some tropical sweetness to balance things out, but I think this is not quite my cup of tea. A great beer, but they could tone back the CTZ, Summit, or whatever's bringing the onion.

3.79/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 11.12.13

Appearance - A clear golden amber color. Strong pour yielded a 1/2 finger head that dissipated quickly. There was minimal lacing while drinking

Smell - Very hoppy / bitter smell. Fresh cut grass and oranges.

Taste - The taste is quite bitter. Slight grapefruit and no malt flavor at all - this doesn't seem very balanced to me.

Mouthfeel - Medium to high carbonation and the warmth of the alcohol comes through.

Overall - Compared to other IPAs I have had, this one is a bit heavy handed with the amount of bitterness present. I would have preferred some malt characteristics and tropical fruit. Probably wont seek this one out again.

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amazingly fresh, Stone Enjoy By 4-20-13 pours a beautiful honey-golden color with a touch of amber in there as well. An inch or so of white head caps the brew, and it slowly dissipates while leaving a ton of sticky lacing. Hops aromas burst from the glass. Citrus, pine resin, and freshly mowed grass provide a dominate hop presence in the nose, with just a touch of burnt toast providing any malty hints. Fruity citrus flavors, as well as caramel malt sweetness open up on the palate as floral hop flavors, and a bit of pine resin pull through the finish. The sweet malt flavors provide excellent balance. This amazingly fresh and tasty brew is medium in both body and carbonation. The next batch out is 5-17-13, get your hands on this amazing Imperial IPA!!

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had #: 1337 on BA. Elite.

Enjoy by 5.17.13 has finally landed in MN. This was bottled on 4.12.13 and consumed one week later - Extremely fresh. It pours a clear light gold body with a sizable head that lasts for a bit.

The nose brings on tons of fresh tropical fruit. It smells much like a Surly Abrasive Ale. Lots of pineapple, citrus, grapefruit, mango, sweet peaches, and a little bit of pine. The taste follows very nicely with potent tropical hops and lots of bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied and light carbonation. Unique in its own way. Fresh Stone FTW!

4.39/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Seventh batch Enjoy By 5.17.13

Appearance: A nice growing light orange with a little gold thrown in. A one and half finger white head that dissipated fairly quick.

Aroma: Mango, pine, and some citrus. Very slight floral.

Taste: Mango, tangerine, pine, grapefruit, slight orange, and a little mint at the end. Plenty of sweetness. A little caramel is detected. Very light breadiness. Bitterness is actually soft and barely lingers. A nice balance between the two. Surprisingly clean.

Mouthfeel: Good full feel. Goes down very smooth. Feels a little sticky.

Overall: A good Imperial IPA. I look forward to when it come out again. Since I missed out last time and now finally got a bottle.

My first "Enjoy By" was the 04-01-13 brew out of a bomber. It was immediant love at first sip! Hop madness straight out the bottle! Poured a golden yellow imto a standard British pint glass. The bitterness of the hops was easily disguished by an amaziing smoothness and overall drinkability not found in average IPA's.

My second, the 08-02-13 edition, was enjoyed really fresh (brewed 06-28-13'- consumed 07-01/02-13) via a growler straight from the brewery! If you ever get a chance to visit, this is a mandatory stop...but I digress. The 08-02 poured same as the 04-01 and each glass was consistent throughout. This has to be one of Stone's best!!

Third: 09-13-13 edition, 22oz bomber, not as tasty as the "straight from the brewery" taste I enjoyed in August, but still an the best IPA I've had!

4.97/5  rDev +13%

The latest version 13 days out from brewery! Awesome job on the logistics! Fresh DIPA from the west coast = AMAZING! Wonderful honey hued DIPA that makes my head spin. Huge snow white rocky head that lingers, leaVING AMPLE LACING DOWN GLASS.

An amazing aroma that sends one off in to a fog of self discovery!!!! Oh my the hops are intoxicating! Citrus piney tropical fruit bliss!!!!

The flavors are nothing short of the aromas, These folk, and I am a Koch, know how to do it. Fruity citrus tropical pine resin bliss!!!

Full to medium full bodied elixer that has already started to BOOGIE WOOGIE on my brain.

OOHFAH!!! this is where it is at man!!!

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Enjoy by 12.21.12
Bottled 11.16.12, exactly 10 days old

Poured from a bomber to a pub style 16 oz glass

A- Amber, 1/2" bubbly off white head

S- Intensely floral, dank, earthy, spicey, as it warms i also get citrus, mango, & apple cider

T- Follows the nose, plus grapefruit bitterness, caramel bready malts, and slit alcohol twang

M- Oily, low carbonation, pleasing alcohol heat

O- I'm loving this brew! There's so much going on here and as it warms, i'm offered more and more aromas and flavors. Fresh out of the fridge, i'm adorned by floral, dank, earthy, spicy, hops. The taste is much the same with an added bonus of grapefruit bitterness and a slit alcohol twang that melds nicely. As it warms, citrus, fruit, and sweet malts become more apparent. Citrus and mango show up to the party with sweet bready malts as their entourage. All this comes together with an alcohol twang that melds perfectly with the rest of the flavors and leaves a tingling feeling at the back of the throat, spiciness lingers on my lips long after it's gone. If i had to compare it to anything i would say Drake's Aroma Coma. Both show light on a new evolution of west coast IPA's. A glorious future is yet to come.

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have had two versions of Enjoy By this year and they seem better than year's past. I had to go back and up my rating this year. Bold Citrus and fresh taste and is at the top of my IPA list. Definitely think it is better in growler/tap form if you can find it. Seeing more bottle this year here so it seems easier to get than in the past. I try to get it a least a couple times a year.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.