Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,254 | Hads: 9,539

Enjoy by 12-26-14 edition… Enjoyed on 12/14/14

Appearance is slightly paler than a traditional IPA. However, it is beautiful with its orange and golden hues.

Aroma was immediate right when I popped the top off. I could smell it from a solid 2 feet away! Beautiful aroma of citrus and tropical fruits. Definitely grapefruit peel and some peach notes. Finishes with a mild honey or syrupy-sweet smell.

Taste is definitely hop-forward. This is an aggressively hopped beer as is traditional with Stone brews! I get so much tropical fruits and more bitter grapefruit! The oddly addictive taste is the peach and mango flavors. Very pleasant. Middle of the mouth is major hop bitterness that transitions into a moderate alcohol finish. Carbonation is moderate. Recap: major grapefruit and tropical fruit flavors, then bitterness, followed by a warming alcohol. I would highly recommend this dish with something rich. I enjoyed it with a bacon mac n cheese and it was PERFECT! Everything ended up balancing out!

Overall, this was a better version of the Enjoy by. I have had this before previously, but this batch had a much greater emphasis on the tropical fruits, which I enjoyed. The only downside is that the beer wasn’t all that balanced. It definitely hit with the hop bitterness, but it didn’t have enough malt backbone to make it more well-balanced. I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be an IPA, but it needs a tad bit more malt to up the complexity and overall balance. I would rate this a 90/100. (1,512 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

22 Bottle of 12/26/14 in a Spiegelau IPA Glass...

Appearance: Golden with about one finger of head - aggressive pour.

Smell: BAM, right at you before I could even get my nose in the glass. Pineapple and grapefruit(?)... Some bread. Smells fresh...

Taste: You taste those fruits up front. Crisp and fresh tasting. Very enjoyable. You do not notice the alcohol at all. At 9+, that could be dangerous! I could have finished this quick, but sipped it through the first half of the 1 PM NFL games. Tasty.

Mouth feel: Slightly sticky and refreshing.

Overall: A great beer. I finished the second half of the bottle during the second half of the 1 PM games and into the 4 PM games... Definitely felt the alcohol at that point. Great beer. (753 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly hazy golden color with 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention is good. Lacing is quite good. Deep fresh, citrus aroma. Very appealing. Nice hop forward bitterness, piney, with a slight citrus maltiness and great fresh, bitter, resin aftertaste. Slightly soapy and astringent. Very good and fresh beer. (326 characters)

22oz Bottle of Enjoy By 12.26.14. Poured into a Spiegelau IPA Glass:

Appearance: Clear golden color, a dense head with great retention

Smell: Tropical fruits such as mango and pineapple

Taste: Like most IPA's from Stone, it tastes very dank. The tropical hops come out up front which turn increasingly lemony and bitter. There is some biscuit , but the hops dominate the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with some creaminess due to the strong head retention

Overall: What I dream for in a Double IPA. The citrus comes through from the aroma all the way to the finish. i look forward to the next chapter in the enjoy by series. (632 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Whole family swung up to Plymouth yesterday (13DEC14) to see daughter #1 and get a tree. After cutting a fresh Christmas tree for the first time, we stopped into Biedermans for lunch. I actually ordered a Stoneface IPA, but was served a Stone Enjoy By... This is the 12.26.14 version, and I believe I was (mis-) charged $4.00 for it.

My shaker pint held a slightly cloudy, bright, medium golden brew. Carbo was slow and scattered, and the head was a creamy, fluffy layer of marshmallow white foam. It lasted well, with some nice stick left on the glass. The aroma had some solid rindy hop action mixed in with some sweet, tangerine-like sweetness. Body was medium-plus, and it was quite smooth going down.

Flavor began with some fruity sweetness; a bit of tangerine and apricot hitting the palate. Then it was mostly hoppage, with some grapefruit and pineapple melding together in a rindy, piney bitter mix, which lingered quite well. Oddly, as the bier warmed it seemed to get hoppier and not more malty. Quite a pleasurable bier!! Prosit!!

4.20/5 rDev -5.2%
look: 4.20 | smell: 4.15 | feel: 4.25 | taste: 4.20 | drinkability: 4.20

1698 (1,145 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%

Stone enjoy by 12-26-2014 double ipa, growler purchased at CBX in Charleston.
A: pours a brilliant 3 finger white foam head, crystal clear golden body, some stringy lacing
S: tropical fruits, mango, candied fruits, sweet orange, light malt
M: medium creamy body, crisp slightly dry finish
T: grapefruit, orange, citrus, mango, fruity, grapefruit rind, slight pine resin, biscuit, light malt
O:fantastic brew, one of the best in the enjoy by series! (449 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber. Enjoy by 12/26/14 batch. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow with slight haze and 1 finger of head

Smell: Fruity hops

Taste: Very pungent and can only be simply described as dank, a lot of resin and grapefruit notes with pine and citrus, and frankly hoppy as hell

Mouthfeel: Medium and just right, the dry finish just begs for another sip

Overall: A fantastic beer. I don't care what people say of the hype or marketing, I commend Stone for enjoy by and the fact that I received this beer within a week of it being bottled in San Diego and I live in Louisiana currently just makes me a happy customer. Such a great, fresh double IPA. (682 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

In my opinion, these never disappoint. Been drinking them regularly since 2013 and have enjoyed them each time.

Some people say that the Enjoy By series essentially is the same beer each time, and I can see that. Nevertheless, the EB beers, IMO, are among the best that Stone makes. They're very indicative of what the best/better IIPAs are/should be.

What I look for in IIPAs is flavor, aroma, hoppiness/crispness, color, balance ... you name what you're looking for, and you're likely to find it here. The EBs have it all.

Solid 4.5-star beer - thank you, Stone! Keep it up. (579 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 12.26.14, Clear golden-amber pour with a foamy white two finger head with good retention and great lacing. Sticky, resiny hops dominate the nose along with hints of grapefruit, pine, tropical fruit, orange peel, and subtle green onion. The taste mirrors the nose with dank, resiny, earthy, fresh picked hops along with hints of pine, orange peel, grapefruit, tropical fruit, green onions, and just enough sweet caramel malt to keep it honest. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, subtly chewy, and extremely oily with a mouth-puckering crisp, dry, bitter finish. Overall, I've been trying to get my hands on this beer for quite a while, and it did not disappoint. Incredibly fresh and bold and every bit as good as Heady or Pliny! Highly recommended! (760 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Serving: 22 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (12.26.14 release).

Appearance: Clear, bright gold. Persistent white foam with lingering lace.

Smell: Citrus, pine and some fresh onions and mustiness.

Taste: Caramel malt and slight honey sweetness with layers of hops: citrus zest, resin, herbs and savory vegetal notes. Good bitterness level.

Mouthfeel: Medium, slightly oily body.
Medium to soft carbonation.

Overall: Plenty of good hop notes with balancing malt sweetness, but some off key vegetal tones detract a bit. (524 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22oz poured into Nonic pint 12-26 iteration

A: nice soapy head unbelievable clarity see the carbonation light amber color good lacing on the glass

S: very herbal on the nose a little bready

T: very herbal almost some citrus but gone with a very nice sweetness and an herbal almost spicy but not quite taste

M: has a little bit thicker mouthfeel than most IPAs it's actually quite pleasant

O: My best advice I can give on this beer is fuck the reviews and just buy it. I've had roughly 6-7 different batches of this, the first time I had it the beer was a citrus explosion juicy and delicious, the next 5 times it had an over powering onion taste that really turned me off. I had about given up on it but then I decided why not. Now it's herbally which is much more pleasant than the onion but I can't seem to get any consistency out of this beer which in my opinion makes for an average beer. However as you can see just buy the damn thing and form your own opinion on this one. (985 characters)

Enjoy by 12-26-14
Pours lite amber with 1" Head
Smell - Pine, Earth, Mild Citrus
Taste - Earthy, somewhat fruity IPA. In the middle on bitterness
Thoroughly enjoyed this beer. What you expect from a great IPA (208 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Anytime I see an Enjoy By I grab one, amazing IPA all around, for a imperial IPA this one pours a perfect amber color amazing fresh hop bitterness that other doubles should strive for, If a pine and citrus blend of awesomeness is what your looking for pick this one up and drink it fast, If I had a choice between this beer and a Pliny the Elder its Enjoy By all the way! (371 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

Stone Enjoy By 12/26, picked up at Mt Airy Liquors on draft.

Pours a liquid gold, clear and crisp as an autumn day, with a finger and a halfs worth of eggshell head. Mostly tight bubbles, small bubbles rising from bottom of the glass.

Not getting much on the nose, maybe as she warms, what little I do get is pine and faint tropical fruit hoppiness.

Taste begins with this magical duet of light malt sweetness and juicy hops - as the piney hop flavors develop a sweetness settles in on the tip of the tongue, and the beer goes down the gullet finishing with a nice bitterness and alcohol burn. No yeast flavors apparent, and the malt I'm picking up is light and sweet.

Overall a damn fine IPA, very well balanced, could have had a bit more complexity with the hops with some stronger tropical or citrus flavors, but overall very solid, very drinkable. This could be my go-to IPA if it were more available. (912 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -37.6%

I got a 32 ounce growler of this because I'm such a fan of Stone. I sampled it before I bought it and thought it tasted pretty good. I poured into a frozen pint glass. By the time I finished it had a hint of a unpleasant taste. By the time I finished the growler, it was downright gross. I won't be having anymore of that. (327 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance – Pours an orange golden color with a nice head that sticks around and very good lacing.

Smell – A really strong pine scent with an oily hoppiness.

Taste – Bitter pine.

Mouthfeel – Nicely carbonated. Bitter, but no lingering bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability – A bit over hopped for my taste, though I like that it's not in the aftertaste. (363 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L-Golden colored...light lace....lightly carbonated look

S-Floral, herbal, piney....fragrant....oily hoppiness

T-Big again on the floral/herbal notes...not outwardly bitter....good oily hop flavor...almost noble hop feel at points....a good dose of evergreen like pineyness.

F-Definitely a DIPA in body but not sticky sweet like some...I like the oily hop feel to this.

O-A solid DIPA and my first foray into the "Enjoy By" offerings. Apparently they change? This is definitely a quality beer but I wouldn't rate it as high as it sits right now on this site (99) (570 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Wow. Not one to do reviews and also more of a stout fan but, WOW! What a refreshingly smooth tasting, hoppy beer. I had my enjoy by 12/26/14 on 12/5/14 and just bought another this evening. This one impresses me. Way to go Stone! (229 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Enjoy by 12/26/14. Skunky, funky...which is not always bad, but in this case it was a bit much. Would not buy this date again but love the concept and Stone is solid, so will try future offerings. (196 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beer number 501

This beer looks great golden with orange and honey and a nice three finger head that lasts for a few minutes before breaking. The smell is mostly pine with some citrus as well and malts. The taste is high pine hops and a nice malt support. Mouth is slick, which I found surprising, and carbonation is medium.

All in all a damn fine beer. Perhaps the best from Stone 8 have had, and one of the best in the style I have enjoyed. (450 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

12.26.14 version. Quite a frothy, white head, with lots of lace. Very hoppy with citrus and floral notes, particularly grapefruit. Sweet with a bitter finish. Well-carbonated and refreshing, with a long finish. This is a solid IPA. (237 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stone "Enjoy By 12.26.14 IPA"
22 oz. brown glass bottle
$7.99 @ Whole Foods Market, Plymouth Meeting, PA

I felt remiss in not getting to this beer sooner and as I've had it for over a week and I've only got 24 days left so I figured I'd have to try it even though I wasn't really in the mood for a double IPA. I wasn't looking for something heavy and bitter, but if Stone actually went to the trouble to make sure this beer got out so quickly then I owe it to them to drink it !!!

Fortunately for me it's not a heavy, bitter, and alcoholic double IPA. It's actually golden in color, and it's got a medium-full body with a moderate carbonation (kind of English in character). The malt is pleasantly straightforward and just lightly sweet and subtly biscuity and caramelish. Nor is it overtly bitter. Don't get me wrong, it's got bitterness to it, but it's not that harsh and raspy bitterness you sometimes get. What I was in the mood for, and probably what really swayed me towards opening it tonight, was hops - and it's got 'em, but again, I was surprised, I thought I'd find it drenched in resinous, piney, and citrusy hops but it's actually quite smooth and refined. All of those attributes are present but they're not "in your face", even in the aroma. It's also a bit minty, softly grassy, earthy, and gently leafy or tea-like, but the mildly citrus pith and gentle tropical fruit are what really define it in the flavor. It's really rounded and supple, leaving it remarkably drinkable for the style. The one thing that reminds you that it is a double IPA is the alcohol which peeks out here and there, especially as you progress through the serving. Still, this is one dangerously drinkable beast. (1,705 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Enjoy by 12.26.14 bomber.
Very good looking beer when poured into the glass but the aroma was a bit weak considering this is a Stone IPA. Decent hops taste but nothing overly special, but what really turned me off was the soapy like aftertaste this beer leaves behind. Looking back for an extra dollar I could have bought a six pack of some other IPA that's better or at least just as good. I personally am getting a bit tired of companies thinking that just cause they put their beer in bombers makes it priceless when they don't make the beer itself worthy. (561 characters)

A DIPA that absolutely gets it right. Too many just don't have strong enough hop flavors and the malt ends up taking over, making them more like a hoppy barleywine. Enjoy By brings the huge, dank hop smells and flavors that unmistakably put this in IPA territory. Also appreciate the novel way to focus unavoidably on freshness through the prominent date on the bottle. (374 characters)

Bottled on 11/13/14 Enjoy By 12/26/14 enjoyed on 12/2/04

A: Very light for a double ipa slightly orange but mostly a blonde clear amber nice lacing and thin head.
S: Fresh Hops, Pine, hints of tropical fruit
T: Fresh hops right up front but not bitter, citrus. Easy drinking for a 9.4% beer
M: Almost spicy with hops but smooth for such a high %
O: Try this beer if you love fresh hopped ales I thought it was delicious and I don't usually go for high % beers. (461 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.