Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
4.4

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,401 | Ratings: 10,303
4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Had to revise from a previous enjoy by date. I feel that every batch of this is different. This batch "pi" was terrific. Well balanced. Juicy, little resin, grapefruit taste. I really enjoyed this batch.

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 3.14.15. Hops done right. I almost never go out of my way for any variant of an IPA, but the Enjoy By Series has become something of an exception. It's not the ultra-bitter kind of (D)IPA that you get elsewhere. Excellent citrus/floral notes come through the whole way and keeps you coming back for another one.

4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer around 1/26. Very interesting and very enjoyable! Although, the aroma and finish have a grassy, almost bandaid-like undertone. It smells like Mosaic or Azzaca hops which have a hint of that aroma profile.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a light golden color - slightly pale - with a white head that leaves a trail of lace.

Smells of bright tropical citrus, backed by some dankness and resinous pine, rounded out by a nice floral bouquet and some faint sweet malt.

Taste is sweet and bitter citrus up front with some mango and grapefruit detected. It has a sticky sweet malt middle with a touch of caramel quickly giving way to resinous pine and thick herbal dankness. This is an excellent double IPA.

3.62/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by valentines. Had it on 2/21, so not exactly following the rules.

Slightly peppery nose. Grassy like all good rogue beers. Very cloudy. Love'n it

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

This is a world class beer, nectar from the gods. Very smooth down the hatch with a very nice citrus after taste. I will buy as many as possible untill 3.14.15

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.14.15 - Enjoy By Pi

This is my first Enjoy By, so I can't speak to past iterations. That said, this is a amazing DIPA.

L: Amber hue with crystal clarity. Solid head with really nice lacing.

S: Floral but with nice pine notes. I typically love citrus bombs, but the smell here is really inviting.

T: Sweet malt up front, but finishes with a nice piney, pithy hop bite. Really interesting balance at play with this beer.

F: Perfect carbonation, I can't believe the ABV is 9.4% because this is easy to sip. Something else interesting about this beer, it's literally mouth watering--the same way fresh squeezed juice is. But make not mistake, it still has a dry finish.

O: I love when beer lives up to the hype, and this definitely does. This style of DIPAs is not what I usually reach for (like I said, I love big citrus DIPAs), but this is fantastic. Definitely a world-class brew. If you can get your hands on it then scoop it up.

(Updated: I had this beer again 8 days before the drink by date, the booziness was much more evident than the first two bottles I had. It was also much sweeter than my prior two sittings. I guess there is something to that freshness dating.)

4.31/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had a few of the new Pi Enjoy Bys over the past several days. The interesting thing about this series is that it's actually pretty different every time. This time it's super heavy on the garlic/onion hops, which honestly I don't prefer. It's still a great beer though regardless of where they take it each iteration.

I would really like to see a return to a more floral/tropical kind of thing that they had going on more in the early bottlings, and seem to have less of now, but that might just be my bias talking.

3.89/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours amber, large head.
Massively hoppy aroma, big pine, resinous, spicy and herbal notes along with some petrol-like new-world hops. Some light clean malt underneath.
Clean flavours too, with a focus on piny, resinous and more petrol-like hop notes. Some slightly solvent-like booze notes.

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So I'm having this a day late (2/15, not 2/15). The day doesn't seem to have ruined it. It pours a slightly cloudy orangey gold with a nice white head that leaves some small sticky lacing. It has lovely rich tropical fruit, citrus and floral hops aroma. The taste is restrained for a Stone IPA, but it is still a delicious and well-made beer. The hops flavors are not overwhelming, but blend together well and are supported by a sturdy and subtle malt backbone. Not too heavy on the palate and with just a little bitter bite on the finish.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 02.14.15. Clear with a nice layer of head. Smell of juicy citrus with a taste to match. Unlike other citrusy/juicy ipas, this has a nice bite of hops towards the end. Great beer all around...always excited to try the enjoy by variety's.

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - 1-inch head. Color is a clear amber. The carbonation is super lively.

S - Like a pine tree forest, with some orange peel and strawberries. The hops are very powerful.

T - Sweet and hoppy, without extreme amounts of bitterness. Notes of passion fruit and orange peel, with some malt coming through.

M - Medium body, without much burn.

O - A nice pleasant taste. Not extremely bitter and very refreshing.

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed the Enjoy By 02.14.15 Double IPA by Stone Brewing Co. It has a great smell and taste. I hope to get my hands on the next Enjoy By IPA.

View my full review here:

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ratings for the 2/14/15 batch.

I've heard that it's always the same formula, but I have no knowledge of my own on this. Good beer, though I wasn't as crazy about it as some people were.

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review is based on the 2/15/15 bottle. Poured a two finger off white head in a snifter. A clear amber color with decent lacing. The smell of citrus lasted from smell to taste. I throughly enjoyed this beer, up there with DF 90 minute. I could easily drink several, thankfully the 9.4% ABV will remind me how many I can drink. Truly a delight.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours crystal clear light yellow with white head that lingers and leaves lacing. Lighter than I expected.

Nose has grapefruit, pineapple, tropical fruit.

Taste follows nose. Grapefruit citrus bitterness. Has a peppery finish. Lighter mouthfeel than I expected.

Great beer.

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smell is pure pink grapefruit. Sweet, citrus, light, maybe a little saline. Taste is what I expect... Pink grapefruit. A touch of grain, and sugar. Sugar. Sugar. I taste pith, a bit of spice... Not as bitter as I expected or wanted... But that sweetness is wonderful.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Update with By Pi.
Even at the end of the time period...last day...still very good. All the flavors of great hops, citrus and floral, and strong alcohol just flow right together and fill the mouth will fullness and an easy creaminess. Nothing stands out but nothing takes a back seat.

Extremely well made solid IPA. Surprisingly easy drinking. Awesome on tap. Amazing marketing strategy but easily accomplished with such a great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.14.15

S-quite dank for my liking, but I supposed this constrast to the taste provides interest and appeal
A-golden cleat and light, white head that dissipates to nothing eventually, nice amount of lacing
M-carbonation right on and does not detract from bitterness and other enjoyable qualities of this beer
T-is it Citra? Mosaic? Simcoe? One of those three comes out to play, I think it's Citra, but I am far from a connaisure. Great IIPA, very drinkable too bad it 'expires'! Highly recommend.

3.89/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hard to review a brew who's shelf life is so short. This review is for the 2/14/15 enjoy by date. Light golden color which is unusual for a double IPA, smelled a little bitter and piney, taste was quite good, less hoppy and lighter feel than expected for a double. Didn't linger long on the tongue. Deceptively light for a double, easy to drink.

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Enjoy By 02.14.15. It was excellent. I am not generally a fan of their IPA (or the Delicious IPA) but this was fantastic and would drink again and again.

Update. 04.20.15 was also fantastic. Obviously.

4.06/5  rDev -7.7%

Another excellent batch by Stone, this one being the 2.14.15. I'd have to agree with another reviewer, the 12.26.14 and a couple others were better, the first one I tasted being so good I described it in terms that I wont repeat in public. This one looks great, clear gold, white head, beautiful herbal and citrus aroma, strong herbal taste with citrus undertones, and near palate wrecker carbonation and flavor.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Draft of EB 2/14/15 @ The Office on 1/23/15. Pours straw yellow with 1 finger of white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is strongly citrus with subtle tropical fruits. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit sticky. Palate is robustly citrus and resinous hops balanced nicely against the malt backbone and alcohol. Nicely balanced DIPA. Probably the best Enjoy By since the 4/20/14.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 02/14/2015

Great look. Great head with very good lacing. The nose on it was a little under par for me, but that's only because everything else about this beer was done well. Very good hoppy flavor. A very solid IPA.

4.86/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

this review is only for the 10.31.15 Enjoy By. i've had multiple others and LOVED them all but never officially wrote a review of them. so this review is this particular Enjoy By and the others.

reviewed again for 12/25/15. roughly the same taste but i think this one has a cleaner more pure taste. Enjoy By never disappoints.

Enjoy By 4/20/16.

pours an off-orange with a thick white head.

you can smell this beer as soon as you open the bottle. and once pouring the smell is even more noticeable. smells peachy, maybe some pineapple as well. nice fruit smell, but not the typical grapefruit-y.

i can taste pears, peach, pineapple in this. totally understand how a lot of this beer is New Zealand/Australia hopped. very "down under" hop taste.

goes down very smooth, could drink this all night!!

overall this is always one of my favorite beers. and i ALWAYS buy a bunch of it. the 10.31.15 isn't my favorite of the series but it's still great. i've had multiple Enjoy By's before, i thought 4.20.15 was absolutely amazing. this has a more soft fruit taste.

as always, i cant wait until the next batch of Enjoy By in a few months! always a tremendous beer.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.