Follow our progress ...

Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
4.4

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,415 | Ratings: 10,371
4.4/5  rDev 0%

Stone enjoy by 7-4-14 A non beer geek friend had this and donated to my fridge. I'm not going to say no because of a giant drink by date on the front!!
A- Hazy burnt orange color that you can’t see through. One finger thick cream colored head that was gone quickly.
S- A nice fruity peach and mango smell with a hint of berries. Also a mix of wheat, grass and bread.
T- The taste is huge! Lots of pine up front with a big bitter kick as well. Tasting some lemon and orange peel. I can also taste a good amount of alcohol at the end.
M- Crispy and smooth, the alcohol seems to cleanse the palate well and prepare you for the next sip.
O- Really good, probably better if I drank it three months ago like the bottle said too, but still good. I like how the flavor profile is so big and each part stands out on its own but somehow remains balanced.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

This beer is outstanding.

This was Enjoy By 10/31/14, drank on 10/13/14. It was a beautiful blend of citrusy hops balanced perfectly with just a touch of malt, but not too much so that the beauty and taste of the hops is perfectly represented in all phases of taste - initial and on the finish.

It is all at once so incredibly hoppy yet ridiculously drinkable, don't know how they do it. Thanks Stone.

Enjoy By 10.31.14 Poured into a cognac snifter. It pours a rich darker orange color that is fairly clear. There is very little head on an agressive pour and it dissipated by the time I got my computer booted.

Immediately there is a large amount of grapefruit on the nose. A great deal of ascerbic/citrusy scent comes up after that. I only can tell the faintest amount of alcohol which is quite impressive with a 9.4%. I would describe the smell as delicate compared to other DIPAs I have had.

The taste is just wonderful. It is supremely balanced and very easy drinking despite its high ABV and what I would imagine is a high IBU count. It's like drinking sweetened grapefruit juice with almost no sense of the alcohol. As it warms up it only gets better, and its one of the few DIPAs I have had that taste great both warm and fresh out of the refrigerator.

The mouthfeel is a prolonged sense of grapefruit on the back of the mouth. It is very pleasent. Usually my issue with DIPAs is that they can be very bitter on the way out, but this mouthfeel is like after drinking orange Gatorade: smooth and completely pleasurable.

This is ranks up with the best DIPA's I have ever had. This is my second bottle, and I plan to get another couple if I can find them in the next week. The price is also quite reasonable, and for an ale that I would probably take over Permanent Funeral. It is well worth the price. This beer could not be made any better.

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Clear yellow with a short white head that leaves some lacing on the way down.

Smell: So much citrus and floral hops! Smells amazing!

Taste: Bitter up front, followed by sharp bitterness and malts, then ending with some piney bitterness. Did I mention it’s bitter? Some faint ethanol taste pops up at the end.

Mouthfeel: Moderate thickness and carbonation.

Overall: Hoppy even for a DIPA! The malts never really stand up to the hops, but it doesn’t matter. Explodes with hop aroma and taste. Plus, you know you're getting a fresh one when you grab this.

Enjoyed this in a side by side taste test with a Pliny. First time I have had either of these beers.

Poured a lovely dark golden hue with a thick creamy pale head in a Spigelau IPA glass. Aroma was very citrus hop forward and sweet in nature. A little alcohol in the nose. Very aggressive nose.

First sip was bitter with a huge hop hit. Citrus, pine, spice, almost spicy hotness with the hop hit. Followed by a large dose of alcohol with a slight malt backbone. Crisp finish though most likely due to the alcohol. Felt like I was hit with a hop hammer, but I liked it!

Ultimately, I love a beer that challenges my senses and this one does. For my tastes a bit more in my wheelhouse than Pliny. Both great beers, but if I had to choose one forever it would be Enjoy By!

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Wow. Good offering. Pours a clear mid amber with little head. Wonderful citrus aroma with pine undertones. Grapefruit is the prominent taste. Medium body that snacks the back of your tongue. One of the better IPA's I've had of last. Good job!

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

10.31.14
Appearance: Nice yellow/golden color and crystal clear. White fluffy one-finger head that stayed till the bottom and left some nice lacing.
Smell: Huge grapefruit, pineapple, with a hint of onion and some slight malty sweetness
Taste: just like the aroma, with lots of grapefruit and pineapple - just can't get enough of that flavor.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not too much carbonation- feels really nice on the tongue, with a great finish and aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.
Overall: Such an outstanding beer, unfortunately we only get about every 3rd release of Enjoy By here in Colorado. I will continue to seek out this brew whenever I have the opportunity.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

First time trying an enjoy by. Poured into a pint glass. Very clear golden amber with about an inch of head. Smell is largley a strong pine with some subtle notes of citrus like grapefruit, lemon, and orange. The taste follows the nose very closely and has a more balanced taste between cirtusy and pine than the smell does. There is a pretty large malty backbone in it as well. Medium mouthfeel with a good hop smooth hop bite on the back end. This beer reminds me a lot of a more hoppy hopslam. Solid brew by stone once again, but a slightly above middle of the road IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Enjoy by 10/31/14 poured from a bomber. Poured golden with little to no head. Smells piney with some citrus. Smells great. All the good taste of a double without the bitterness. Just enough bite to it. Great beer. Glad I got a hold of one.

Wife's Review: "It is pretty good but I would drink anything right now."

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been wanting to try this brew for a long time. Just had a bottle of Hop Stoopid so I'll probably be comparing the two. Here goes:

A: Not what I was expecting. Pours a one-inch head, but this readily dissipates. There also doesn't appear to be a ton of carbonation. On the good side, the beer has a ton of lacing and it pours a nice orange-amber color.

S: Whatever the appearance lacked was quickly made up by the smell. This one's a beauty. Straight up pine and citrus, however the pine is spectacular. Probably the pineyist beer I've ever smelled. Tons of grassy floral notes as well. Like being in a pacific northwestern forest.

T: Taste follows the nose, making it spectacular. Lots of pine, citrus, and grapefruit. There's also a lot of malt to balance out the hops, making the beer extremely balanced. Although this beer is rather limited and somewhat expensive, buying it was one of the best decisions I've made in a while.

M: Nice and thick, but not overwhelming. Maybe could've been more carbonated.

O: A spectacular rendition of the WC IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

P- Thanks to my buddy Matt for this one...however I am drinking a few days past the enjoy by date.

A- crystal clear amber color that has a nice fluffy 2 finger head. Spiderweb lacing and mountainous peaks.

S- a nice dank piney leaf smell with hints of citrus smell. The combination is aromatic and pleasing to the nose. like a citrus pine needle.

F- strong citrus and pine with a slight malt base. The hops are juicy and sticky.

M-hoppy and light bodied. Dry in the mouth but crisp and refreshing.

O- great beer and a def spot in my top 10 beers. I am thinking it could be a lil better if I would have got it before the enjoy by date.

Stone's Enjoy By IPA is like an experience one would have with a virgin and her first exploration into coitus. It is one to savor, and not too pound.

This is my favorite DIPA, and one to savor.

Complex, but inviting tropical aromas pervade the nostrils.

Taste is bitter with the notes following through.

This is one of the best DIPA's out there.

Enjoyed multiple versions, and always buy any one that I can find. Enjoy By 4-20-2014 was the best batch.

A - Orange hue, slightly off-white head that hangs around like a well hung bull.
S - Fantasticly fresh, everybit of a grapefruit, citrusy, lemony aroma that lingers like a bad hangover. Except every bit of this smell was well taken.
T - Impressive malt backbone from a brewery that seems to skimp out on that aspect with IPA's and favor the over-usage (but welcomed) of hops. Great balance.
M - Creamy, almost as if they used oats within the grain bill but the brew is exceptionally clear, so that didnt happen. Perfectly carbonated.
O - Among the other festivities that usually take place on 4/20 this was by far the most memorable... I think. Can stand up to the very best in the IIPA world.

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

From notes on 4/12/14

Enjoy By 4.20.14. Bright orange body. Thick white fluffy head. Earthy hop aroma. Very bitter grapefruit taste. Actually a little sweet. This beer does have a good amount of malt taste. Very delicious. I’d totally buy it again if I’m in Chicago. Can’t get Stone in Madison.

Enjoy by 12-26-2014, poured from a bomber into a tulip

A: golden, dehydrated urine color with minimal head

S: piney, dank, ripe pineapple, citrus

T: I was surprised by the big juicy pineapple and citrus up front. Dank but smells more piney than it tastes. Sticky tropical aftertaste! 2nd bomber definitely had a strong orange rind taste

M: smooth all the way through with a sticky mouth feel

O: this beer is awesome. Most reviews I read said big pine and dank but I got more tropical fruit with a little dank. Would love this as a year round offering

Poured from a 1PT 6FL OZ bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy By 09.20.14 IPA (bottled on: 08.16.14 per website - this is indeed "devastatingly fresh" at just over three weeks old!)

Appearance: Pours a clear bright pale body with a nice white head. Significant lacing.

Smell: Bright citrusy wonderful. Even the bottle cap had a fantastic aroma.

Taste: One of the better, if not best tasting IPAs I have ever tasted. If indeed this recipe hasn't changed over time, then I think all of the major players (and favorites) are there: Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy? Stone has hit all of the high notes for me. This is fantastic!!

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth, no complaints.

Overall: I hate giving a beer a perfect 5, and don't think I have ever done so thus far, but this could possibly be the best tasting beer I have ever tasted. This is my first time trying this beer and I always thought of it as kind of gimmicky or more of a sarcastic marketing response to the beer nerd community. More than anything though, this is a fantastically crafted, amazingly tasting Double IPA. It has a huge burst of tropical hop flavor and is not overly bitter. I could drink this all day!

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from 22oz boomer into tulip glass. 1finger fluffy head dissipates quickly. Golden, almost cloudy color. Smell: not much cold. A little alcohol and grapefruit as it warms. Taste: apricot, peach, grapefruit at the end strong grapefruit finishing into bitter hops. Mouthfeel: smooth and fresh, not syrupy or sticky. Light crisp carbonation. Overall: terrific IPA, very we'll balanced and full of flavor. wish there was a bit more complexity, but very enjoyable!

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Everything has really fallen off since I started drinking this last year. Its still good just not the same as it has been in the past. Bring back 4/20/14 which blew my socks off.

4.4/5  rDev 0%

The beer has a nice hazy orange appearance. The carbonation bubbles are effervescent. It has a modest, but solid head and leaves a spotty lacing. It has a very fresh aroma and nice earthy hop smell, with a sort of garlicky characteristic. The beer is interestingly complex with a ton of hop flavors: predominately resinous pine, grapefruit, and orange rind. There is also a slight malt sweetness. A terrific DIPA; one of the best examples out there.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It is a predominantly clear, light gold with an off white cap. This beer is a lacing monster. My tulip looks like it is covered with spray foam insulation.

Smells green with bright fruits and alcohol.

Pungent, sharp hops. Tastes like guava/pear juice, mango, pineapple and pine. Crisp and slightly sour with citrus rinds. Piney and grassy all the way through. A bitterness that is squashed some by sweet, light bready malts. The bitter hops show up again in the lingering aftertaste. Some resin with a little oily slickness. Finish is a little drying. Alcohol is noticeable, but it is not "hot". Easy drinking. Exceptional balance.

Edit: with the 12/25/15 batch I am noticing onion flavor that I never picked up before.

Enjoy By 02-14-14
Enjoy By 04-20-14
Enjoy By 05-16-14

All batches I have had were devastatingly citrusy, floral, hoppy goodness. Everything you could want in a big, dank IPA, with a quick bite, and a smooth finish. Exceptionally good, dangerously drinkable for a DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Modestly superb. Mine was 'Enjoy By' 9/20/2014. Golden orange/amber and very aromatic. Nicely hoppy in the mouth, but not overly so.

It was somewhat sweet, but not '9.4 ABV sweet', and the sweetness didn't last long in the mouth, fortunately.

If I had to go all night, I would likely not quaff these one after another. But if I had to limit my intake to a single bomber, and I often do, this one is at or near the top.

This is by far and away the best double IPA...or any IPA for that matter, I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I won't go in to too much detail on this one because it was several weeks ago when I enjoyed this beer. Furthermore, how can one describe in words what they believe to be a perfect beer?

This brew struck the balance between a hefty, complex, flavor profile and an extremely refreshing and clean finishing experience. Both the aroma and flavor was, obviously, hoppy - citrus, floral, pine. It was all there. A very delicious beer. An adventure that I will seek to replicate for the rest of my life and most likely never will.

I buy these every time they come out. They never disappoint and are always tasty. This is the best commercially available DIPA you can buy IMO. Smooth with a mildly bitter finish

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle -> snifter

A - pours up a cloudy medium gold at first, eventually clearing, with a small white head, not much in the way of retention or lacing.

S - lemon, oranges, mangos, grass, bread

T - sweet caramel malt followed by a citrusy hop finish. There is a slight warming at the end, but by and large the alcohol is well hidden for a beer this big.

M - good carbonation, medium thick, very slight aftertaste

O - what's not to love!!!

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.