Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,248 | Hads: 9,501
4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - orangish color with good head and great lacing
Smell - very fruity citrusy smell with slight pine
Taste - very piney hop taste with some fruit and citrus. Kind of opposite the smell.
Feel - full body with fizzy carbonation.
Overall - incredible dipa! (258 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been purchasing these released bottles every so often. I've been impressed with the Enjoy By series for quite some time.

This IPA seems to be a bit lighter in taste and mouthfeel, however, the aroma and aftertaste really put this beer in the upper echelon for me. A fresh Enjoy By is, well, quite enjoyable. (314 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

General: This was the 2/14/14 version of Enjoy By. It was from a bottle swap with a friend, enjoyed it out of a chalice style glass.

Appearance: A dark golden color with a whitish head. The head doesn't persist all that much but it's still nice looking. A lot of very small bubbles throughout.

Aroma: Grassy hops are the primary aroma of this one. I like it but it's a little bit much. I want to pick up some of the other aromas like the malt and some fruits but this is really just a grassy hop bomb.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel, appropriate carbonation levels

Taste: This one tastes like it smells. There is a slight alcohol touch to it but really the biggest, in your face flavor are the grassy hops. There is a little malt backbone that stands up a little bit to the hops but it's definitely an IPA

Overall: It's not bad, not my favorite beer but certainly something that I would have again when it comes out next time. (929 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not going to bother with the details; I put this up against Pliny the Elder any day. I would love to do a blind taste test.

It's that good.

It even has the same apricot smell going on. I like to start these cold (in a frozen glass) then enjoy the changes as it slowly warms.

Something about brewed-for-freshness IPAs. <3 (333 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By: 2-14-14

A- Crystal clear light amber color. Only about a 1/2 finger of head that didn't hang around very long. Pretty good lacing.

S- Big tropical fruit, orange and sweet grapefruit up front. Subtle pine when you really dig in. Incredibly inviting.

T- Quick burst of tropical fruit and grapefruit up front that is almost immediately overtaken by big pine and hop bitterness. Nice malt backbone. Despite the big bitterness, the aftertaste barely lingers at all.

M- Medium body with nice crisp carbonation. Slightly oily.

O- As usual, an extremely well crafted beer by Stone. The aroma was an incredible blast of sweet citrus that didn't hint, in the least, the hop bitterness that was about to punch you in the face. Very nice. (745 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 2-14-14 poured into a Tree House Brewing tulip glass.

A - Poured with a relatively thin, but fluffy, white head. As it dissipates it leaves some nice, sticky lacing on the glass. Color is dark gold/amber which looks quite appealing.

S - Big time citrusy and fruity hops up front. I'm getting lots of pineapple with some mango mixed in. There are some hints of pine/resin in the background but I feel they're overwhelmed by pineapple/mango. I'm not noticing any malt character or any presence of alcohol. Wonderful smelling IPA...one of the best I've experienced so far, IMO.

T - Some malt sweetness right up front that explodes into pure, bitter hop flavor. Unlike the smell I'd characterize the hop flavor as dank and resinous. There are some tropical fruit flavors in there (mango, papaya?) but the pine/resin flavors are right in my face. I love it. I find the flavor, overall, to be more on the bitter side compared to some other IPAs and DIPAs I've had. The finish is dry and bitter, though not at all unpleasant.

M - Medium to light carbonation. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side for an IPA with such big flavor. With that said, it is a very crisp IPA that's quite refreshing considering that it's over 9% ABV.

O - Excellent DIPA. I'm glad I was able to find this one while out and about at my local beer store. This one is definitely for beer lovers who enjoy the bitterness that hops bring to the table. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next installment. (1,483 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 2/14/14. Honey yellow in color with the slightest haze. Started with a shirt white foam that left ladder of sticky lacings down the glass. Pungent, earthy, citrus hop aromas with a hint of malty sweetness beneath. Smooth, incredibly delicate feel with gentle, lazy carbonation and an oily feel toward the finish. Flavor was similar to aroma. Pungent citrus, pineapple, and rioe grapefruit flavors uo front with a tangy hop bite through the middle. Caramel malt flavors peek through toward the end. Very enjoyable. (522 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Growler poured into pint glass

A: Nice light goldenrod hue topped with a one and a half finger head. The head is fickle and quite paper white. Carbonation is apparent, but underwhelming. I’ll have to continue evaluation on the next pour.

A more aggressive pour brings out a bit of the visible carbonation and releases the aroma a bit more. Looks medium/light and drinkable. Lacing on this pour is much more evident.

S: Citrus punch! Grapefruit, bits of lemon and orange, after a big sniff the nose rounds off with dry scents of fresh florals, which are earthy and inviting. Just before the floweriness begins to dominate the nose, I pick up mellow sweet fruits, mango and other light tropical fruits, suppressed banana & pear. Somewhere in the earthy essence there’s some dry pine/wood but its built into the complexity. Overall very aromatic and dominated by many delightful esters, one of the best.

T: Follows the nose (expected and excellent). The taste is fresh and clean, with the freshness provided by the circus of zesty citrus flavors. Spices trace the citrus, possibly spearmint and ginger that facilitate the transition to a dry flower flavor. The ABV is completely hidden, no boozy character, although there is a slight hotness (presumably from the spice citrus blend).

M: Immediate aftertaste is a woody sweetness that is somewhat dry and makes you want more. The carbonation is hard to assess awing to the various flavor facets that continue to assault the palate.

O: This along with one or two other DIPAs have really revitalized my love of the style. This is damn fresh and damn tasty. Kinda jumped on the tail end of this 2.14.14, but its fresh taste is still in your face. This has me amped for the next installment of this #EnjoyBy series.

Into IPAs or IIPAs? Once the next installment is announced, mark your calendar. (1,854 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

I am relatively new to the world of IPA's but if this is what they are all like I am hooked.

Over the past week I have tasted Heady Topper, Hi - Res and now Enjoy By. All 3 are incredible beers. I place Enjoy By in the middle but closer to Heady than Hi - Res.

Great color, cleaner than Heady. I poured into a pint glass the head was not noteworthy, but the lacing was.

Aroma is fantastic, but my sense of smell is horrid

Taste is clean and maybe a bit more bitter.... Grapefruit? than I prefer, but I assume I will get used to that in the world of IPA's

Overall, I will buy this any chance I get as it was relatively cheap at $9 for the bottle. (653 characters)

Perhaps my top 3 in IPAs. If this were the only beer left on this planet, I'd be fine.

Pours a orangy golden with one finger of head. Classic example of an IPA.

The moment I took the cap off the bottle, I could smell the aroma of this beauty. I got a LOT of papaya, maybe 80% papaya, 10% pineapple, 10% orange/grapefruit. Just spectacular, juicy, and tropical smelling.

The taste was the smell, plus malt, more sweetness, and more hoppiness. Very well balanced, and I got absolutely zero alcohol on the taste. VERY well made, and now I see what the hype is all about.

Overall, I base my opinion on whether or not I would buy the beer again, so I take into account the price, taste, and availability. A bomber for $10 that is hard to find, to me, is a steal for this type of beer. Phenomenal! (798 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Aroma: pine, oranges, and resin.

Appearance: gold with a thin white head.

Taste: huge citrus hop flavor. Resin and dank in the finish that lingers for a long time.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body and high carbonation.

Overall: amazing double IPA. (250 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

golden amber deion sanders on the look. two finger white head.

citrus hops, nods to pineapple and grapefruit in me nose holes.

hop forward all the way, brah. grapefruit, pine, orange peel, DELICOUS.

the malt hids the abv on this bad boy super well. nice carbonation.

welp....i didnt think it was possible but Sucks is now my second favorite DIPA. (352 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Golden orange color with a nice white head.

S - Strong citrus hops with notes of grapefruit

T - First sip continues with the citrus and grapefruit flavors however it feels much richer in terms of spectrum than other IPAs for me. Finishes smooth and clean on the tongue.

M - The oiliness from the hops sit on the tongue and make the beer much milder in terms of alcohol content than the % the brew really is.

O - This is one of my favorite IPAs and probably my favorite beer from Stone. (494 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Bomber 2.14.14.

A: amber with a very predominate white head, carbonation is high almost reminiscent of a soda.

S: Very citrusy with mild hints of earthiness as it warms up.

T: Phenomenally tame for a double IPA, meaning most double IPAs make me want to punch a hole in a wall from the inherent bitterness. But this is very subtle it's much lighter than most of there dIPA's I've had. The hops have a grapefruit and mild hint of orange very appealing taste.

M: Lightly carbonated and is very different from the rest of Stone's range of IPA where usually there is a large lingering aftertaste of the overwhelming hops.

O: Definitely in my top 10 of DIPA's there are few that can have this light and easily drinkable qualities and still be called a DIPA. Will definitely be looking for the next Enjoy By. (810 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Enjoy By 2-14-14

A- Clear with Amber highlights. Head dissipates quickly.

S-Like a clementine. Sweet fruit with a hint of citrus at the end.

T-Sticky like citrus honey with a clean bitterness at the end.

M-Lighter carbonation, but that might be because it is out of a growler.

Overall this is an excellent IPA. Alcohol sweetness with a clearly defined hop flavor. (376 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Note: just gotten over a cold when I tried this

#10: 09-13-13
A: golden-amber with little head, not much lacing
S: orange with sweet caramel notes
T/M: much like the smell, very malt forward, melding into orange blossoms, then into a grassy (tinged with citrus). Mildly dry pull that lingers.
O: very good beer. Could maybe be a little less sweet, but love the citrus backbone of this beer, as well as the malt front and somewhat dry finish.

#12: 11-12-13
A: clear golden amber, but more lacing in this pour
S: same, but I notice an earthiness this time
T/M: more bitterness I notice up front in this one, less sweet than I reviewed before.
O: I didn't change any of my ratings, but I think I expected better given the rating versus what I thought about this tasting. Given that, I await my next one to see if I should adjust my rating.

#14: 2-14-14 (adjusted ratings up)
A+: more lacing
S-: weaker to me
T: definitely more bitter than original review, but there is what I now consider mango flavor (not orange).
M+/O+: starting to enjoy this more and more as a must have when available

#?: 7-4-14 (no adjustments) - seemed more "juicy" and less bitter than previous reviews, closer to original review of a September "by date" (1,230 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aroma: Citrus and slight vegetal hop matter. Light tropical fruit, bright and zingy. Some sweetness and almost a buckwheat honey character.

Appearance: Deep gold to almost copper color. Huge white head with tight bubbles. Brilliant.

Flavor: Slightly sweet at first but not much, fading quickly to a dry middle and finish. Borderline astringent end, but manages to stay drinkable. Some light caramel malt notes, but not actually sweet. I do get a orange pith flavor and strong bitterness. Some muscat grape as it warms.

Overall: Very drinkable due to dryness but lacks a certain balance that I have found in my top examples. (626 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -17.9%

2.14.14

Poured into a tulip. Crystal clear golden orange with a finger of head.

Scent of dry piney hops, as per ushe, and a hint of sweetness that's tough to describe.

Different kind of bitterness here. More orange than grapefruit. Can't put my finger on it, maybe it's those New Zealand hops. Not as bitter as anticipated. Actually a tiny bit sour, interesting. A bit let down by the bitterness, but it makes up for it with the complexity of it. The more I drink of it the more orange I'm getting. Gets better as it warms.

Thin and drinkable with an aftertaste that hits periodically after the sip.

Overall a solid IPA, not in my top 10, but earns points for surprising me with something different in an IPA. (715 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By: 2/14/14
Bottled: 1/10/14
Drinking: 2/4/14
Setting: Living room couch watching Seinfeld. Putty was the best character on that show.

A: Pours a hazy orange/tangerine color with a soapy and rocky white head of about 2 fingers, which dissipates to about 1 finger as the beer sets. Definitely can't see through this one. Hazy and rich. I can smell it from here!

S: Tangerine, orange, and grapefruit. Lots and lots of citrus. Undertones of lemon zest with bread grains. Faint hint of resin'y pine.

T: Taste is full forward candied orange peel and a blast of grapefruit juice. Enjoyable sweetness from the get-go, but not cloying. A touch of alcohol as the sip warms on the tongue, but incredibly well hidden for being 9.4%. VERY DRINKABLE. Bitterness is retained throughout, and mellows into subtle biscuit notes towards the end. Not as much pine in the taste as I detected in the nose. This is a wonderful citrus bomb and again, I can't get over how smooth this is to drink.

MF: The carbonation is perfect in my opinion. It's just enough to allow the flavors to pop once you take a sip, but not so much that it dominates. Not overly sticky on the lips or tongue, which I usually experience big boy IPA's. Dare I say, I think that's what's missing here? Hey, I'm nitpicking.

O: Fantastic DIPA. I could easily drink 2 or 3 of these in a sitting, but would probably pay for it shortly thereafter...But it's that good, and that smooth. Another west coast beaut! (1,469 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2/14/14 Delicious with a excellent balance between hops and malts. The nose is great super floral with hints of pine and citrus, excellent flavor notes of citrus, pine, slight tropical fruit with a light malt backbone finishes super clean the "enjoy by" just keeps getting better and better every release! (305 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2/14/14 Poured on 2/4/14 from 22oz bottle

A - Pours crystal clear, a bit light on head/bubbles and only thin lacing but still looks nice

S - Oooh it hits the nose before you even pick it up and get close to it. I get a mostly piney and slightly floral aroma, very appealing. As with most IPA's I am having trouble detecting the subtleties after my nose adjusts to the smell and it fades a little.

T - Such perfect balance between the hops and malt, and the freshness really comes through. They REALLY nailed it. Sweet taste initially, enjoyable bitter finish. The piney hops come through in the flavor. Tastes closer to a Lagunitas IPA than a SNPA or Torpedo IPA. Can't even believe this is a 9-10% ABV beer as it's so easy drinking and balanced. Quickly vaults itself into one of the top flavor beers i've encountered.

M - Smooth/slightly oily with a tingling of the tongue carbonation/hop presence. Dry finish leaves you begging for more.

O - Really really really liked it. The average score might be dinged by the appearance but do you really care about that if it smells/tastes delicious? Easily one of my new favorite beers. Just a shame it isn't a common 12 pack :-) (1,179 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 1/10/14 dated 2/14/14 bottle into New Belgium globe

A-Pours a clear copper colour with a two finger, foamy, off-white head that lingers and leaves modest lacing.

S-Aroma is pine and floral hops, citrus and tropical fruits.

T-Taste is grapefruit, orange rind, mango, pine and mildly sweet malts. Aftertaste is pine and mildly sweet malts.

M-Mouthfeel is somewhat oily with lively carbonation and a sharp, bitter and drying finish.

O-Awesome DIPA by Stone and at great price point! (495 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/10/14. Poured 2/3/14. I believe I paid $6.99 for the bomber.

Enjoy by 2.14.14

Appearance: Perfectly clear golden color. Two finger, slightly off-white head. Great lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Very fresh on the nose, as I'd expect. The two dominant aromas I pull are pine and grapefruit. A sort of malty sweetness as well. Not exactly blowing my mind with a huge depth of interesting smells, but what's there is very nice.

Taste/feel: Quite nice. Like the smell in a lot of ways. A good bit of sweetness through most of the sip with a slight burn and bitterness on the finish. The flavor on the front is resinous, piney hops, with grapefruit and other citrus flavors meddling in the middle of the mouth, with that bit of a burn/bitterness at the end. Aftertaste is a sort of lemon zest bitterness with a caramel sweetness. I like it, but not it's not blowing my socks off. Medium body. Medium carbonation, maybe a little high. Very drinkable. As the brew warms slightly, a sort of Summit hop flavor comes through (for those who don't know, a bit of an oniony flavor). It actually becomes pretty significant and it makes the brew a bit more interesting and causes it to stand out a little bit more than it otherwise would have. As it warms up even more, tropical fruit peeks through, as does the alcohol. Tastes almost like a completely different beer from when it was straight out of the fridge.

Enjoy By's a brew I've been wanting to get my hands on since I first heard about it. I missed out on the last batch that came to Michigan, but not this one. Grapefruit and pine dominate when it's first out of the fridge, but then Summit hops (or ones similar) add a third dimension. This is a tasty one to crack open and spend an afternoon or evening with that also comes at a reasonable price. It's a beer I'd recommend you seek out, but in a way, I'm ALMOST disappointed? I decided to give it a 4.5 overall just because I love how the flavors change so much throughout the 22oz of beer.

TL;DR: Enjoy By should be tried by ANYBODY who likes or loves IPAs, simple as that. (2,089 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bomber into snifter glasses.
Pours a nice medium amber, decent to moderate head.
Aromas are very nice, sweetness, hoppiness, little malt notes.
Taste is really, really nice. A lot of tropical fruit, pineapple, very little bitterness.
My favorite Stone beer by far.
A very nice IPA not trying to be a bitter bomb from Stone. Good work. (346 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2-14-14( tasted 1/30/14)-
Having tasted this beer twice in the past- once on tap 12/12, and 9-2-13, I was expecting the same quality and taste/mf/aroma profile.

The current brew doesn't have the strong aroma of the 9-2-13. The latter had more tropical fruit, and a more bitter, hoppy finish.

The current Enjoy By is more conventional- tastes similar to other West Coast IPAs. Lots of grapefruit, more sweetness, the same vanilla presence, and less hoppier finish.
I would like more tropical fruit in future brews.

An excellent beer, but I prefer the previous style.

9-2-13

I was to lucky to find a bottle of this sought after beer.

Poured in a tulip: beautiful copper color with carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass.
1F head.

I could smell the fruit without putting my nose to the glass. Very tropical: orange, some grapefruit, and surprisingly, vanilla, which I don't usually smell in an IPA.

What sets this IPA apart from others: the fruits are highly tropical. Not your typical grapefruit, or citrus rind. Very tropical with orange. Very little grapefruit.

The aroma carries to the taste. A good sign of a balanced beer. Loads of tropical fruit. No vanilla. A blast of carbonation in the mouth feel enhances the overall experience of the beer.

Intense bitter hops at the finish- a Stone signature.

Great beer. I tasted it only once before in December. Fresh A+ IPA! (1,391 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.