Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,928 | Reviews: 1,302
3.5/5  rDev -21%

3.39/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

3.94/5  rDev -11.1%

I had the 2.14 bottle and more recently on tap. From the tap this beer was great. Pour amber orange with white head. The smell was outstanding with a good balanced pine and orange, grapefruit. The taste on this pour was wonderful with hoppy citrus forward and the bitter back end but the malt shined through and finished with some orange. I will say the bottle I had was not even close to this on draft. It was much more bitter and the taste just not as good. On draft this was great overall.

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

3.23/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Enjoy By 2/14/14 - Burlington, VT

A - beautiful light copper orange with thin light cream head that drops fairly soon

S - Some fruity hop smell, but a somewhat disconcerting and dominant oniony/garlicky aroma. I was not expecting that.

T - The onion/garlic aroma translates somewhat into the taste and did not do it for me. This fades somewhat as the beer warms

M - excellent body and mouthfeel

O - The dominance of the onion/garlic hop aroma and flavor are not what I appreciate in a good beer. This was very disappointing for me as I've heard so many positive reviews for this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle of 02.14.14

Poured a rich light amber color with a creamy thick head of 3/4 inch. Significant lacing. Smell is making my mouth water. Taste - wow! Nice IPA, one of THE BEST I've ever had - Pure hoppy beautifulness! A truly great beer - enjoyed every last drop and want more!

4.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow this is quite a beer. The nose is a wonderful bouquet of citrus fruits, mango, guava, and starfruit. All of the juiciest fruit seems to make an appearance but has none of the tarter and more noticeable citrus flavors are found here. The taste is much in the same vein as the nose but there is a very mild undercurrent of piney and resin flavors underneath. The mouthfeel is almost the best part of this beer. So smooth yet with just a touch of carbonation, on such a robust DIPA it really makes drinking easy and before you know it your bomber is gone!

Stone did this one really right. Awesome DIPA.

4.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2/14/14 Iteration - Bottle poured into DFH IPA Glass

A - Pours a deep amber with a slight haze...Lively 2 finger head with great retention and lacing.

S - Hops hops hops. Citra hops...more fruit notes than previous variations.

T - Follows the smell...hops from beginning to end, with a surprisingly smooth finish. Slight malty aftertaste. Sticky and fresh.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation.

O - Superfresh hopbomb...expected nothing less from Stone. Always delivers.

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Splashed half in the glass and now just killing it from the bottle. A bit unconventional but why not if I only have a limited time to drink it.

Should have named it "Enjoy by the bottle"

A-Nice coppery color that you get from an IPA. Head boils down into nothing leavening just thick, resinous, sappy lacing on the sides of the glass. Enjoyed this portion from a snifter.

S-Decadent mimosa up front dominated by huge notes of champagne and orange rind mixed with fresh cut wildflowers and briar/thicket.

T-Aromas translate well into taste leaving just the slightest tingle of hops from this huge IPA. Booze, at ~10%, is very well concealed and could very well make it through the tightest of airport securities. It leaves one of the most satisfying residual flavors I've ever experience in a beer. Just a faint, almost sugary hop not at the end that is both thirst quenching and begging for more.

M-Very balanced. Not thick at all like you might be accustomed to with DIPAs. Lightly carbonated. Very easy drinking.

O-Beer was very fun and definitely looking forward to what comes next in the series.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 2/14/14 - purchased from Copper Vine in Grandville.

A - Pours a deep copper orange with a huge stack of foamy, bubbly, pancake batter egg shell colored head that reduces to a thin cap during the entire drink. Wonderful spots of lace surround the snifter.

S - HUGE bouquet of flowers, citrus zest, grapefruit, orange rind, resinous, fruity, hop oils. Damn this is fresh and one of the best smelling beers I've ever experienced.

T - Follows the nose - citrus hop bomb, grapefruit, citrus zest, nicely balanced with sweet malts. Moutfeel tingles tingles and numbs the palate. One of the easiest drinking 9+ percent beers I've had. Dangerous.

O - I purchased two bottles from Copper Vine and shared the first with a couple of buddies. I'm now drinking the second and savoring every sip and I'm going to go back to get as much as I can tomorrow. This is one of the best beers I've had and it has it all for what you want and expect in a DIPA.

4.44/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 2-14-14

Appearance:golden color, good white head, good Clarity

Aroma: very resiny, and piney hop aroma, some citrus, no malt

Flavor: nice piney hop , high bitterness but supported well, some alcohol warmth, some Light caramel

Mouthfeel: med high carbonation, med body, Some Alcohol warmth, but not harsh

Overall: very piney, good amount of bitterness as expected for style, but not harsh

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.