Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,248 | Hads: 9,507
4.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this puppy on tap at bottle revolution in Raleigh NC. Was so much better than I remembered.

Appearance- Beautiful sunset orange with lots of bubbles streaming up to the top with about a half finger of egg white head that disappeared quickly. Awesome.

Smell- Wow. This is amazing. Smells like I'm sticking my nose in a bag of tropical fruits and hops. What I get is hops, mango, peach, grapefruit, slight bread malty notes. Just epic smells.

Taste. Holy crap this is so much more fruit-forward than the October 2013 version. Follows the nose precisely. Tastes like hopped up fruit juice. Just an amazing, and probably my favorite IPA currently.

Mouthfeel- Super carbinated and drinks dangerously well for a 9.4 % beer.

Overall- This is easily Stone's best beer. And that's saying a lot. Amazing. (806 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle picked up at Sprouts in Poway CA. Apperance is light golden with a pretty thin head upon pouring. Smells really fruity and hoppy. Very sweet smelling beer along with citrus notes and pine. Mouthfeel is thin. Taste…wow. Much sweeter then I was expecting! Not really any malt balance on this brew, very hop forward, but what else what you expect from a Stone IPA? I've been drinking lots of brown ales and stouts lately and this was my first IPA back from my malty phase, I enjoyed this brew but its almost a little TOO sweet for me personally. Hop heads should love this one. (615 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Glad to finally see this one make it to Central PA...

A - A fairly active pour yields two fingers worth of slightly late to develop crisp ultra light khaki colored head comprised of medium and large sized chunky bubbles... Excellent retention... The head turns a much creamier as it settles ultimately leaving a full velvety veil of lacing and moderately thick collar... Surprisingly still with just a stray carbonation bubble hear and there... The color is equal pats pale copper and vibrant amber... Gobs of sticky lacing cling to the sides of the glass...

S - A big hop forward nose that doesn't disappoint... Bursting at the seams wit topical fruit and citrus... Mango... Pineapple... Oranges... Grapefruit... Honeydew... A bit beneath the surface lies an additional layer of slightly dank resiny piney hops... Little to no malt backbone in terms of aroma... Loaded with an array of depth and complexity that truly showcases artistry in hops...

T - Starts fairly restrained and subtle... A mix of earth hops are at the forefront... Again no malt to balance out the palate... The hops really begin to intensify on the finish and take on a resiny piney character... Much of the fruity nature alluded to by the nose are absent...

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied... Slightly astringent... Clean and fairly crisp... The bitterness turns slightly blistering on the finish...

D - A truly excellent beer, but one that is a bit over hyped in the opinion... I personally would opt for a Ruinten any day of the week... With that slight disclosure out of the way, this is still a craft beer and especially a hop heads dream... The aroma is the star of the show... Overall, it seems to be a bit less than the sum of its parts... (1,736 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a two finger head into my DFH IPA glass. The head has a strong resemblance of clean sea foam, if there ever was such a thing. Pretty deep amber, almost glows.

Scent of grass, followed by a little pine. Lemongrass, grapefruit and a bit dank. Hardly any booze smell, just a little sweet. The smell is so exciting that I took a sip before I intended to... The high aroma rating more so for the excitement it provided than it being spot on for the aromas I like in the style...If that makes any sense?

A tad sweetness at first, a little earthiness and grassiness. Pine and grapefruit are present here, but much more subdued. Overall just very...meaty. Makes me crave a steak.

Finishes pretty dry and bitter. Strong excitement long after each sip due to the carbonation.

Despite this being bottled two weeks ago, it seems to just be missing some freshness. The flavor profile isn't what I prefer with the style, but it kind of works. But, it's still pretty drinkable. I will have no problem polishing off the bomber myself. (1,028 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 02.14.14. Poured from a 2-day old tap into a tulip.

A: Golden orange. Big head that follows the beer with rings that hold onto the side of the glass.

S: Ripe guava. If you haven't smelled ripe guava from Mexico, this is what it smells like. Amazing! FYI, ripe guava has a little funk to it.

T: Initial taste is citrus fruit accompanied by a sour-hop taste that matches the smell. The more I drink this, the more it tastes like guava. I sense a bit of malt and alcohol on the exhale, but just the right amounts.

M: Nothing crazy. It lingers in your gums. Kinda nice.

O: Good enough to make me open an account and write a review. (641 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -7.9%

Enjoy By 2.14.14

Appearance: Poured from bomber into a Duvel tulip. Pours a brilliantly clear, rich golden orange color with a sudsy, two-finger head.

Aroma: Really nice hop aroma, as expected. Big floral hop notes, some earthy, herbal notes, some ripe tropical fruits.

Taste: Follows nose, big hop bitterness up front, transitions into just enough malt presence to be noticeable, but only for a moment as hops return. Herbal, slightly savory, almost vegetal hop character that was present in nose is more present and articulated in the taste. Slight alcoholic warmth?

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-full bodied, slightly viscous. Smooth, light carbonation.

Overall: Excellent. Yep. Really good. Glad to be able to try it. (717 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 2.14.14 served in a Citizen Cider snifter.

A: Clear orange. There's something that rubs me the wrong way about filtered IPAs. Call me crazy, but hey.

S: Citrusy fruit, mostly mango for me.

T: Same as smell, very mango forward for me.

M: Adequate and supple.

O: I must say, this being my first Enjoy By experience, I was a bit disappointed. I had only heard good things from friends and BAs, but it's not quite as marvelous as I had expected. Perhaps it's because I'm inevitably comparing it to Abner or Heady, but it strikes me as a slightly better, more alcoholic version of Long Trail Limbo that cost me $7 a bomber rather than $10 a sixes. Anyway, I'm glad I tried it, I enjoyed it, and I will probably get another one at some point. Try it for yourself, because fresh IPA is hard to come by. (809 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First reviewed in January, 2014; revisited as available. This review is Enjoy By 04.20.15.

Pours a deep gold color with a thick white head. A really good-looking beer. Good retention and lacing. Really citrusy, moderately bitter but not in-your-face about it. Medium body, nice level of carbonation. Alcohol is well-hidden.

I first had Enjoy By at Poe's Tavern on Sullivan Island SC, and it was an almost religious experience. Enjoy By is good from the bottle, but I think draft is superior. (501 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 02.14.14 IPA is a prisitine clear orange liquid topped with foamy light brown head that leave behind a nice foaming coating on the glass. The excellent appearance gives way to a strong sweet apricot hoppy nose that is simply delicious. On the tongue is it presents a strong hoppy bite. Behind that lies a fruity citrus that gives way to a wonderfully balanced lingering hop. In the mouth this beer is smooth, refreshing, clean and crisp. Quite simply this is a fantastic IPA. Certainly worth a night for the IPA lover. I don't advise is for a new drinker or non IPA person. (582 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -6.8%

Enjoy by 02/14/14

Poured a very clear darker amber. Medium sized head of dense bubbles. No real lace to speak of.

Very complex smell. Lots of apricot, canned peaches, and tropical fruit notes. Some piney hop resin as well.

Taste had less dimension than the smell, though was excellent. Heavy on the citrus rinds, particularly grapefruit and lemon. Some tropical fruits, with a bitter pine finish. Fairly well balanced with a good malt backbone.

Mouthfeel was crisp. Resiny bitter oils clung to my tongue.

Overall an excellent DIPA. (539 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

I had the 12/2013 version. I've never really been blown away by a beer like this. Color and appearance was good (orange-gold), smell was nice (floral? it was a while ago)... but the flavor! The sheer ecstasy of this brew's first greeting to my taste buds seared itself into my mind and to this day has yet to let go. An incredibly balanced blend of citrus (orange, tangerine), warm bread, spices and hops... every flavor in perfect proportion, bold and up front and yet somehow sharing the stage equally with all the other elements going on - absolutely divine! If you ever see this, buy as much as you can and share it with good friends quickly. (646 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -14.3%

2-14-14

Appearance: Pours a clear golden orange color. Nice head retention and lacing. Nothing extraordinary to look at.

Nose: A total blast of piney hops. Wet, first pine. some tiny alcohol and medicinal notes in the middle, with some mustard and malt at the end.

Taste: Great mouthfeel, and a perfectly balanced malt foundation. This is what a big IPA should feel like. Tastes like pine, citrus, ginger, sweet toffee, and a tiny bit of aspirin at the end.

Notes: Beer is always best fresh, and I commend the effort behind getting this beer to market. I don't care if others feel it is a marketing gimmick, it brings super fresh beer to my liquor store and I will not complain about that.

Notes 2: Mouthfeel is fantastic! (729 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, I was surprised by this "Enjoy by 02/14/14 IPA" the look was typical of an IPA, a solid golden yellow/brown color with a good head. The smell was amazing; it might be the best part of the beer, an insane combo of floraly hops with a soft piney caramel to it. The mouth feel, sort of gummy, chewy, beer with a smooth finish. These taste is the only part that levels off the beer. A very solid pine cone cinnamon flowery finish that is classical of a solid IPA. Overall a great IPA. I'd have another. (503 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bomber poured into a tulip

A - Beautiful beer. It's a nice amber color with about a 2 finger head, very good retention, and pretty active carbonation. This is crystal clear.

S - Strong smelling but very pleasant. I'm getting grapefruit and pine with a touch of dankness and a little touch of malt in the background.

T - I'd say piney hops is the prevailing flavor. The citrus is pretty muted. Very little malt presence but quite bitter.

M - The worst part of this beer. The bitterness lingers on the tongue a little too much for my taste. Very dry finish.

O - Overall, I am very pleased to have gotten to try it. It's one of the nicest DIPAs I've seen and the smell is really nice. I wish they could tone the bitter aftertaste a touch but other than that, it's a rock solid DIPA. (796 characters)

Poured into a dogfish head IPA glass. Bottled 1/9/14 (enjoy by 2/14/14 edition).

Appearance is transparent amber, with lots of bubbles rising quickly, and a thick nearly-white head that leaves tons of sticky lace.

Smell is crazy. Mind-blowing citrus, weed, onions, resin. So many hop aromas it's staggering.

Taste is much the same - lots of candied orange, freshly-mowed onion grass (if that makes sense), flowers, and weed popping around in your mouth with equal intensity. Finish is tongue-sappingly bitter (in a good way). Aftertaste is dank, earthy, and resiny. There are so many hop flavors going on in here that I just can't even believe it. Also, after a while it gives you the most glorious hop-burps!

Mouthfeel is relatively thin, with lots of prickly bubbles - absolutely perfect for the flavor!

Overall, this is just an incredible beer. Probably my favorite-ever IPA. So happy it made it to Georgia again, and I already can't wait until next time it comes here! (977 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 22oz. bottled about 12 days ago. Smell is beautiful and everything I want in a double IPA. Pine, grass, citrus, lemon, very small hints of alcohol. Taste is similar to how it smells. Opens with the piney/grassy taste, citrus fruit hits and finishes with a slight pear flavor. Very minimal alcohol flavor here. Very well hidden. This is my favorite beer and is my #1 recommended. Find it. It's worth it (415 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy by 02-14-14

Poured from a 22.oz bottle into Portsmouth tulip glass.

The color is a deep darker orange with a finger of white head with some nice lacing left on the glass. There a cloudy look to this beer that blocks the light out a bit does have a slight yellowish hue in the margins.

The smell is very piney hops flavored bringing a spruce aroma. There is a saturated clementine aroma that brings a bright citrus aroma that is hard brings visions of pulp to mind.

The taste of this beer is citrus at first but as it goes toward the back of the younger it pastes a layer of pine flavor hops that have slight sting as the go down. A slight scrape of the tongue by the bitterness of the hops is felt but feels like a battle scar since there is also tinge of pleasure there as well. At the corners of the mouth there is a nice slight tangerine flavor that resides there for a short time.

The feel of this beer a has a nice fullness that feels like it surrounds the pallet but does not engulf the entire mouth. This feels like a big IPA but does not hit hard either but slips into a push into hops here, there, and everywhere. (1,133 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the 02.14.14 version of this beer, and it was bottled about a week and a half ago.

A: A really nice light orange/copper color, when held to brighter lighting it seems almost golden, which is very unique for a DIPA. It's completely clear, and when poured it has a minimal amount of cream colored foam.

S: Hoppy, obviously. What stands out to me most is the juicy grapefruit notes with a decent amount of pine and earthy smells as well.

T: Once again, hops are the main attraction. A complex layering of pure hop bitterness with herbal, piney, grassy, juicy, and spicy notes. Stone beers tend to have a very typical aggressive hop character, but this one changes it up a bit and I really enjoy that. Usually DIPAs are relatively heavy on the malt flavor, but I really like that the malty sweetness is pushed to the background in this beer.

M: Light bodied for a beer of this style, but I think that makes it unique and enjoyable. Medium level of carbonation makes allows for this potentially aggressive brew to be surprisingly drinkable.

O: A great hop experience, and a beer that I would highly recommend. If you like DIPAs for their heavy malt character, this beer may not be for you but if you like hoppy beers then look no further. Believe the hype. (1,276 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Glass Used: Tulip

Appearance: This offering has a crystal clear golden tangerine body with a thick two finger snow white tightly packed foam. The lace on this DIPA goes on for days leaving an eighth of an inch foam cap on the surface. This is a beautiful beer.

Smell: Floral hops is abundant in the nose with only a bit of tropical scents for me. Malt is there in force.

Taste: Hops are there again in the forefront, middle and finish. The malt lets you know its there but the juicy & bitter hops pushes its way through and shines. The lingering of the light resinous, citrus hops is really welcomed and quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is medium with medium cling coating the mouth.

Overall: This is my first IPA from Stone and am quite impressed. It's not the tropical citrus bomb that I like in a DIPA, but it's damn tasty hoppy brew that I will be more than happy to pick up any time I see one. Definitely recommend. (944 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle pours a stunningly clear gold color with a fluffy, dense white head. Retention is great and lacing exceptional. This is an absolute stunner as far as appearance is concerned, wow.

Nose is plenty hoppy, citric and tropical with some alcohol and biscuit malt bordering on toffee. Smells good...

Taste is hops, both leafy and fresh and bittering aftertaste. Juicy without being overly resinous and tastes like wet hops to me. The malt is light and pretty much gets the fuck out of the way and the alcohol is very well integrated. This is an outstanding beer...not going to compete with the best of DIPAs...but right there at the top of the second tier. (668 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Label said "Enjoy by 2.14.14" so I did. Bottling date obliterated in transit.
Poured into a Sammy Smith pint. Thin uneven head, dissipated promptly. No lacing. Slightly brassy redish-golden color.
Aroma is intense piney resiny hops.
Taste is amazing. Citrus and pineapple with an oaken quality as if barrel aged. Surprisingly not as bitter as expected from other Stone Brewing Co. experiences. Mildly persistent hops presence. Floral quality muted, which is also a surprise since a) the beer is so fresh and b) this is a Stone product which typically have an in-your-face hops presence in my experience. No alcohol notes. This is one of the most complex hops experiences I ever had.
I will go buy more of this tomorrow while it's still available. (750 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4/20/14 release

A - 4.0 - Golden amber clear color beer with nice white head that leave good lacing.
S - 4.25 - So dank, grapefruit, orange, mango, pine, garlic/onion. Overly ripe fruit.
T - 4.0 - Same deal as the smell. Grapefruit, orange, mango, pine, garlic/onion.
M - 4.25 - Light-medium. Very bitter, tongue numbing. Aftertaste is bitter grapefruit peel and bitterness at the back of the tongue.
O - 4.25 - Better than the last release that I've had. This one was bottle on 3/12/2014 so it's real fresh. Nice.

2/14/14 release

A - 3.75 - Golden amber clear color with 1 finger wihte head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.
S - 4.25 - Grapefruit, pine, orange rind, dank garlic/onion notes. Fresh. Bottled 1/9/2014.
T - 3.75 - Good. Not as good as the smell. Grapefruit, pine, garlic, spiciness. Some bready malts in the background. Tastes super fresh. A little bit earthy.
M - 4.25 - light-medium, aftertaste is very grapefruit/pine from the hops, very pungent. Alc is completely covered.
O - 4 - It's great, but not the best. It's been a while since I've had Pliny but I think this may be similar. A little bit more earthy/spicy/garlic notes than most of the other double IPAs, but it's still good. (1,215 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First BA check in:

A: Golden orange
S: Best part, citrus, pine, mint, hops, slight malt
T: Very bitter and crispGrapefruit,
M: perfect carbonation, bitter
O: I love this series and am never let down. Very well balance beer! A great west coast IPA, Stone is boss (270 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had this again on 2014-01-18 in Columbia, PA. The rating numbers are a blended average of all my tastings but it is to be noted this Enjoy by 02.14.14 is the best one yet.

A - Very clear golden orange with a 1.0-finger white head that fades to a 1/2-finger and leaves a good amount of lacing.

S - Mildly dank, pineapple, pine, hop floral. Pleasant. About the same aroma strength as the 10.25.13 release,

T - Hop forward, dank, ripe pineapple and stone fruit, some orange, white pepper, onion/garlic (more that I care for), moderating fruit-malt sweetness. Alcohol is present in the background and nicely complimentary. Finish includes spicy and bitter hop flavors with moderating malt and alcohol sweetness. .

M - Medium body and light-medium combination. Luscious, firm, viscous, resinous, prickly, clings.

O - Best one yet. Glad this particular one made it to Pennsylvania.

2013-10-21 in Columbia, PA. This is the 10.25.13 release.

A - Mostly clear golden orange with a 1.5-finger white head that fades quickly to a 1/2-finger and leaves a mild amount of lacing.

S - Pretty dank, pineapple, peach, hop floral. Less aroma strength than the 7.04.13 release but still very pleasant.

T - Rich pineapple and stone fruit, some orange, nice dank and spicy/peppery hop presence, onion/garlic (about like Deviant Dale's), moderating pale malt sweetness. Less pine than the 7.04.13 release but still evident. Alcohol is present in the background and nicely complimentary. Finish is a fine balance of tangy/spicy hop flavors and bitterness with moderating sweetness. Good balance.

O - I really enjoy this series and observing the similarities and differences from one to the next. This is a good one, for sure!

Had this on 2013-07-01 in Columbia, PA. This is the 07.04.13 release. Special thanks to Matador677.

A - Mostly clear golden orange with a 1-finger white head that fades quickly to a skim and leaves a small amount of lacing. Not surprising for the high ABV.

S - Moderately dank, naval orange, peach, hop floral, honeysuckle. Very inviting.

T - Smooth. Ripe stone fruit, plenty of luscious orange flesh, grapefruit zest, then a mild flavor of lightly toasted bread, pepper, and alcohol sweetness. Finish is a great balance of complex fruit sweetness, pine and a commanding but not overpowering bitterness. Very little bready-malt in view.

O - A really top-notch DIPA. So inviting sip-after-sip. Please sir, may I have another? (2,677 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden orange with an almost gray ring of head.\r\n\r\nS: Nose is utterly dominated by tangerine, fresh orange and other similar fruits, with just a touch of simcoey garlic.\r\n\r\nT: Fresh orange juice, citrus peel, onion, tangerine, tropical fruit, papaya. Delicious.\r\n\r\nM: Full bodied and smoother than your average IPA.\r\n\r\nO: By far my favorite beer from Stone. Uncharacteristic of them, hop-profile-wise, and that is a massive plus for me.\r\n\r\nNote: My version was best by 2.15.13, and I had it a couple days after this particular batch\'s release (It wasn\'t even on the shelf yet). (610 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.