Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,306 | Hads: 9,804
3.75/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing Enjoy By 4/20/14. Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Dark golden orange sun kissed copper, an even cloudiness keeps it from being completely transparent. As it warms, it clears. White head, fades fast, little to no lacing.

Pine tar on the nose mixing with fresh citrus and a touch of sweet tropics fill the nose.

First sip...medium carbonation...an extremely creamy mouthfeel but watery too? Peaches up front mix with the sweetness of honey. Rounds out with some caramel and green pine and a quick bitter finish. A warm alcohol lingers on the throat...white pepper on the tongue.

I'm a big fan of double IPAs (my favorite style) and was really looking forward to this beer...my first Enjoy By. I've read the reviews and comments in the forums...and must say I'm disappointed. I've let it warm and sipped it slow but something is off? It's not much older than a week, so freshness isn't the problem. Seems a little to watery for a double, a little lighter in color than I'm use too...those things I can live with but there is an "off" flavor that I'm not familiar with...charcoal? Maybe I just don't like "dank"? I guess my expectations were so high I'm trying to find excuses why I think this is only good and not great...it is what it is...for me...good but not great.

Im so surprised at my review's outcome I will try one more Enjoy By in the future and comment further.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just grabbed today; bomber poured into tulip glass -- Have had many of the other Enjoy By releases, but reviewing 4.20.14.

A: Dark copper, but fairly transparent; very thin head that dissipates within a few minutes.

S: All-consuming, dank hop character; tropical, warm and intoxicating.

T: Hoppy, tropical and dank (sound familiar?). The beer makes no qualms about what it is: A West Coast DIPA.

M: Warm and oily with mild carbonation and a full finish.

O: I'll preface this with the fact that 4.20.14 is slightly different than other Enjoy Bys, but that said, it still stays true to the original recipe. It's more dank than usual, yet you're still looking at the same overwhelming hop aroma and flavors bombarding you throughout (in a great way).

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Golden orange with really nice lacing. Almost seems to glow.
S - Piny citrus and tropical malt
T - Get ready for a well-layered, journey to the center of the hop. Youre going to get pretty much all of the options here with plenty of citrus with a piney backnote and some of the tropics thrown in for fun.
M - Big and full
O - This offering by Stone is unbelievable. It's almost good enough to curb my mourning for the lack of Pliny here in WA.

4/20/14 enjoy by date.

A: Brilliantly clear amber/golden body with small amount of head. A small amount of lacing persists as the head recedes.

S: Good lord I could smell this beauty from five feet away when it was cracked. Intense mango, orange zest, and a bit of grapefruit in the nose. A bit of malt sweetness comes through as it warms. Wish they made car fresheners that smelled like this.

F: Resinous hops. Passionfruit/mango followed by some pine. A bit of crackery malt followed by warming alcohol and an assertive punch of bitterness. Delicious.

M: Medium bodied with slick hop oil covering the palate. Prickly carbonation persists throughout.

Overall just a fantastic beer. When fresh it is borderline sensory overload. Love this stuff. It probably helps that Nelson and Galaxy are two of my favorite hops.

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pint bottle

A- Pours a clear honey yellow with a hue of orange, carbonation throughout, Nice white fluffy head that laces and sticks on the sides. Nice bright colors.

S- Grapefruit, hops, oranges, crisp clean grass and hints of pine. All kinds of goodness to the nose.

T- Very much like the nose, just as crisp and clean with a bright hoppy slightly bitter finish, very good.

M- Light body, decent carbonation, clean. Slight bitterness that is from start to finish.

O- Very impressive from the full sensory overload to the nose, to the crisp bitter taste.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

This was an October release (can't remember exact date.) A bright golden color and strong pine hops made this beer an excellent IPA. The bitterness was not overwhelming.

Very memorable. Served from a Chimay chalice between 40-45.

I am looking forward to another one of these.

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Always a good dipa. I've had several in this series and all have been fantastic. Some are better than others . . . I think the 4/20/14 was my favorite so far. Looking forward to the 4/20/15. Fast forward . . . 7/4/15 is a solid dipa as well.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - orangish color with good head and great lacing
Smell - very fruity citrusy smell with slight pine
Taste - very piney hop taste with some fruit and citrus. Kind of opposite the smell.
Feel - full body with fizzy carbonation.
Overall - incredible dipa!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been purchasing these released bottles every so often. I've been impressed with the Enjoy By series for quite some time.

This IPA seems to be a bit lighter in taste and mouthfeel, however, the aroma and aftertaste really put this beer in the upper echelon for me. A fresh Enjoy By is, well, quite enjoyable.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

General: This was the 2/14/14 version of Enjoy By. It was from a bottle swap with a friend, enjoyed it out of a chalice style glass.

Appearance: A dark golden color with a whitish head. The head doesn't persist all that much but it's still nice looking. A lot of very small bubbles throughout.

Aroma: Grassy hops are the primary aroma of this one. I like it but it's a little bit much. I want to pick up some of the other aromas like the malt and some fruits but this is really just a grassy hop bomb.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel, appropriate carbonation levels

Taste: This one tastes like it smells. There is a slight alcohol touch to it but really the biggest, in your face flavor are the grassy hops. There is a little malt backbone that stands up a little bit to the hops but it's definitely an IPA

Overall: It's not bad, not my favorite beer but certainly something that I would have again when it comes out next time.

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not going to bother with the details; I put this up against Pliny the Elder any day. I would love to do a blind taste test.

It's that good.

It even has the same apricot smell going on. I like to start these cold (in a frozen glass) then enjoy the changes as it slowly warms.

Something about brewed-for-freshness IPAs. <3

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By: 2-14-14

A- Crystal clear light amber color. Only about a 1/2 finger of head that didn't hang around very long. Pretty good lacing.

S- Big tropical fruit, orange and sweet grapefruit up front. Subtle pine when you really dig in. Incredibly inviting.

T- Quick burst of tropical fruit and grapefruit up front that is almost immediately overtaken by big pine and hop bitterness. Nice malt backbone. Despite the big bitterness, the aftertaste barely lingers at all.

M- Medium body with nice crisp carbonation. Slightly oily.

O- As usual, an extremely well crafted beer by Stone. The aroma was an incredible blast of sweet citrus that didn't hint, in the least, the hop bitterness that was about to punch you in the face. Very nice.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 2-14-14 poured into a Tree House Brewing tulip glass.

A - Poured with a relatively thin, but fluffy, white head. As it dissipates it leaves some nice, sticky lacing on the glass. Color is dark gold/amber which looks quite appealing.

S - Big time citrusy and fruity hops up front. I'm getting lots of pineapple with some mango mixed in. There are some hints of pine/resin in the background but I feel they're overwhelmed by pineapple/mango. I'm not noticing any malt character or any presence of alcohol. Wonderful smelling IPA...one of the best I've experienced so far, IMO.

T - Some malt sweetness right up front that explodes into pure, bitter hop flavor. Unlike the smell I'd characterize the hop flavor as dank and resinous. There are some tropical fruit flavors in there (mango, papaya?) but the pine/resin flavors are right in my face. I love it. I find the flavor, overall, to be more on the bitter side compared to some other IPAs and DIPAs I've had. The finish is dry and bitter, though not at all unpleasant.

M - Medium to light carbonation. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side for an IPA with such big flavor. With that said, it is a very crisp IPA that's quite refreshing considering that it's over 9% ABV.

O - Excellent DIPA. I'm glad I was able to find this one while out and about at my local beer store. This one is definitely for beer lovers who enjoy the bitterness that hops bring to the table. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next installment.

4.51/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 2/14/14. Honey yellow in color with the slightest haze. Started with a shirt white foam that left ladder of sticky lacings down the glass. Pungent, earthy, citrus hop aromas with a hint of malty sweetness beneath. Smooth, incredibly delicate feel with gentle, lazy carbonation and an oily feel toward the finish. Flavor was similar to aroma. Pungent citrus, pineapple, and rioe grapefruit flavors uo front with a tangy hop bite through the middle. Caramel malt flavors peek through toward the end. Very enjoyable.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Growler poured into pint glass

A: Nice light goldenrod hue topped with a one and a half finger head. The head is fickle and quite paper white. Carbonation is apparent, but underwhelming. I’ll have to continue evaluation on the next pour.

A more aggressive pour brings out a bit of the visible carbonation and releases the aroma a bit more. Looks medium/light and drinkable. Lacing on this pour is much more evident.

S: Citrus punch! Grapefruit, bits of lemon and orange, after a big sniff the nose rounds off with dry scents of fresh florals, which are earthy and inviting. Just before the floweriness begins to dominate the nose, I pick up mellow sweet fruits, mango and other light tropical fruits, suppressed banana & pear. Somewhere in the earthy essence there’s some dry pine/wood but its built into the complexity. Overall very aromatic and dominated by many delightful esters, one of the best.

T: Follows the nose (expected and excellent). The taste is fresh and clean, with the freshness provided by the circus of zesty citrus flavors. Spices trace the citrus, possibly spearmint and ginger that facilitate the transition to a dry flower flavor. The ABV is completely hidden, no boozy character, although there is a slight hotness (presumably from the spice citrus blend).

M: Immediate aftertaste is a woody sweetness that is somewhat dry and makes you want more. The carbonation is hard to assess awing to the various flavor facets that continue to assault the palate.

O: This along with one or two other DIPAs have really revitalized my love of the style. This is damn fresh and damn tasty. Kinda jumped on the tail end of this 2.14.14, but its fresh taste is still in your face. This has me amped for the next installment of this #EnjoyBy series.

Into IPAs or IIPAs? Once the next installment is announced, mark your calendar.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

I am relatively new to the world of IPA's but if this is what they are all like I am hooked.

Over the past week I have tasted Heady Topper, Hi - Res and now Enjoy By. All 3 are incredible beers. I place Enjoy By in the middle but closer to Heady than Hi - Res.

Great color, cleaner than Heady. I poured into a pint glass the head was not noteworthy, but the lacing was.

Aroma is fantastic, but my sense of smell is horrid

Taste is clean and maybe a bit more bitter.... Grapefruit? than I prefer, but I assume I will get used to that in the world of IPA's

Overall, I will buy this any chance I get as it was relatively cheap at $9 for the bottle.

Perhaps my top 3 in IPAs. If this were the only beer left on this planet, I'd be fine.

Pours a orangy golden with one finger of head. Classic example of an IPA.

The moment I took the cap off the bottle, I could smell the aroma of this beauty. I got a LOT of papaya, maybe 80% papaya, 10% pineapple, 10% orange/grapefruit. Just spectacular, juicy, and tropical smelling.

The taste was the smell, plus malt, more sweetness, and more hoppiness. Very well balanced, and I got absolutely zero alcohol on the taste. VERY well made, and now I see what the hype is all about.

Overall, I base my opinion on whether or not I would buy the beer again, so I take into account the price, taste, and availability. A bomber for $10 that is hard to find, to me, is a steal for this type of beer. Phenomenal!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Aroma: pine, oranges, and resin.

Appearance: gold with a thin white head.

Taste: huge citrus hop flavor. Resin and dank in the finish that lingers for a long time.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body and high carbonation.

Overall: amazing double IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

golden amber deion sanders on the look. two finger white head.

citrus hops, nods to pineapple and grapefruit in me nose holes.

hop forward all the way, brah. grapefruit, pine, orange peel, DELICOUS.

the malt hids the abv on this bad boy super well. nice carbonation.

welp....i didnt think it was possible but Sucks is now my second favorite DIPA.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Golden orange color with a nice white head.

S - Strong citrus hops with notes of grapefruit

T - First sip continues with the citrus and grapefruit flavors however it feels much richer in terms of spectrum than other IPAs for me. Finishes smooth and clean on the tongue.

M - The oiliness from the hops sit on the tongue and make the beer much milder in terms of alcohol content than the % the brew really is.

O - This is one of my favorite IPAs and probably my favorite beer from Stone.

Bomber 2.14.14.

A: amber with a very predominate white head, carbonation is high almost reminiscent of a soda.

S: Very citrusy with mild hints of earthiness as it warms up.

T: Phenomenally tame for a double IPA, meaning most double IPAs make me want to punch a hole in a wall from the inherent bitterness. But this is very subtle it's much lighter than most of there dIPA's I've had. The hops have a grapefruit and mild hint of orange very appealing taste.

M: Lightly carbonated and is very different from the rest of Stone's range of IPA where usually there is a large lingering aftertaste of the overwhelming hops.

O: Definitely in my top 10 of DIPA's there are few that can have this light and easily drinkable qualities and still be called a DIPA. Will definitely be looking for the next Enjoy By.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Enjoy By 2-14-14

A- Clear with Amber highlights. Head dissipates quickly.

S-Like a clementine. Sweet fruit with a hint of citrus at the end.

T-Sticky like citrus honey with a clean bitterness at the end.

M-Lighter carbonation, but that might be because it is out of a growler.

Overall this is an excellent IPA. Alcohol sweetness with a clearly defined hop flavor.

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Note: just gotten over a cold when I tried this

#10: 09-13-13
A: golden-amber with little head, not much lacing
S: orange with sweet caramel notes
T/M: much like the smell, very malt forward, melding into orange blossoms, then into a grassy (tinged with citrus). Mildly dry pull that lingers.
O: very good beer. Could maybe be a little less sweet, but love the citrus backbone of this beer, as well as the malt front and somewhat dry finish.

#12: 11-12-13
A: clear golden amber, but more lacing in this pour
S: same, but I notice an earthiness this time
T/M: more bitterness I notice up front in this one, less sweet than I reviewed before.
O: I didn't change any of my ratings, but I think I expected better given the rating versus what I thought about this tasting. Given that, I await my next one to see if I should adjust my rating.

#14: 2-14-14 (adjusted ratings up)
A+: more lacing
S-: weaker to me
T: definitely more bitter than original review, but there is what I now consider mango flavor (not orange).
M+/O+: starting to enjoy this more and more as a must have when available

#?: 7-4-14 (no adjustments) - seemed more "juicy" and less bitter than previous reviews, closer to original review of a September "by date"

4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aroma: Citrus and slight vegetal hop matter. Light tropical fruit, bright and zingy. Some sweetness and almost a buckwheat honey character.

Appearance: Deep gold to almost copper color. Huge white head with tight bubbles. Brilliant.

Flavor: Slightly sweet at first but not much, fading quickly to a dry middle and finish. Borderline astringent end, but manages to stay drinkable. Some light caramel malt notes, but not actually sweet. I do get a orange pith flavor and strong bitterness. Some muscat grape as it warms.

Overall: Very drinkable due to dryness but lacks a certain balance that I have found in my top examples.

3.62/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured into a tulip. Crystal clear golden orange with a finger of head.

Scent of dry piney hops, as per ushe, and a hint of sweetness that's tough to describe.

Different kind of bitterness here. More orange than grapefruit. Can't put my finger on it, maybe it's those New Zealand hops. Not as bitter as anticipated. Actually a tiny bit sour, interesting. A bit let down by the bitterness, but it makes up for it with the complexity of it. The more I drink of it the more orange I'm getting. Gets better as it warms.

Thin and drinkable with an aftertaste that hits periodically after the sip.

Overall a solid IPA, not in my top 10, but earns points for surprising me with something different in an IPA.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.