Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,263 | Hads: 9,607
4.03/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Paid 10 bucks for the bomber into a pint glass. 0/13/13 release.

A - For what it's worth I like the 1/4 inch of head that settles to a thick ring. Means its thick in body with little carbonation which is good.
S - Smell is hoppy yet mild strong pineapple hops meets some balancing crystal and cracker malts.
T - Well it's hoppy and bitter quite medicinal. Borderlines Ruination in bitterness cloying bitter and sticks to the palate after every sip. OK I guess.
M - Medium and thick in body. bitter and unforgiving.

Overall I can drink it but its too bitter and medicinal for me. Wish it had more balance.

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on 8/09, enjoy by 9/13.

A: Pours a bright amber. Initial pour was very cautious and produced a less than half-finger head that quickly dissipated, a more aggressive top-off produced a towering creamy off-white head, easily three fingers high, which gradually subsides to a persistent finger or so. Sticky curtains of lacing.

S: Grapefruit is the star here, with powerful undercurrents of pine, lemon zest, apricot. Strong floral notes as well, subtle grassiness and just a hint of biscuity malt. Despite all this, fairly restrained in its attitude...complex and delicious, but it doesn't exactly jump out of the glass at me.

T: An initial wallop of bitter pine and citrus yields quickly to a surprisingly balanced middle, with grassy and earthy notes from the hops mingling pleasantly with sweet bready malts, along with hints of sweeter fruit--pineapple, mango, a bit of peach. Finishes clean, dry, and bitter, slight notes of spiciness and even a little woodiness. The spiciness on the finish masks the alcohol well.

M: Medium-bodied and creamy, pleasantly carbonated. Somewhat oily for most of the mouthful, with a slightly soapy finish.

O: A damn fine beer, not quite worthy of the hype only because of how very much hype every release seems to generate. Strip the fervor that its rotating geographical release causes away, and the beer itself is easily among the best examples of the DIPA category that I've enjoyed. Would have again in a heartbeat.

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Okay so the only and I mean the only reason I do not give this beer a blanket 5.0 is that only God is perfect. I mean there is no such thing as a perfect woman so I guess beer would have to fall in that category, please beer take no offense. I usually do not get excited about the color of a beer this one though has a nice peach looking color to it great eye appeal, just something a little different from other IPA's and their copper-orange color. Great hit of citrus when I stuck my nose in my glass, holy crud the alcohol content is hitting me already, WOW, and lingered well after the head fizzled down. The same with the first intake of the beer, real good citrus flavor followed by a smooth and mellow wheat flavor. For being an Imperial (double IPA) this is unusually mellow yet like I said holy crud the alcohol is hard hitting. This is definately not a swilling IPA, take the time to really enjoy this IPA, you will be pleased each pull on this beer is just as good as the first. The good thing is that the after taste of the beer does not hang around leaving you with that "I just licked a leather boot heal" taste in your mouth that some shoddier IPA's will have the tendency to do. This is an excellent IPA, I look forward to the next batch of Enjoy By, Stone Brewing be darn proud of this beer, darn proud. Now if you all will excuse me I have a girlfriend to go drink.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber with a quickly dissipating, two finger head that settles into a spotty cap that lasts throughout. Decent lacing. Great floral aroma up front with nice sweet malt notes in the background. Hoppy bitterness hits the front of the tongue followed by a torrent of pine resin and grapefruit rind. Sweet malt backbone balances the hops nicely. Mouthfeel is where this ale shines; smooth and easy drinking for the ABV. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Overall, this is an outstanding example of an Imperial IPA, extremely well crafted and balanced. Kudos Stone.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Finally tried this. On tap at Bottle Revolution in Raleigh. Looks great. Fantastic aroma with lots of citrus and tropical fruit. Flavor heavy on the bitterness over the more subtle hop flavors. Great stuff. I hate that it's hard to find but like the emphasis on freshness.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A beer, I have been wanting to try...that doesn't come along so much anymore. I'm not saying it's hyped up but I love fresh IPA. The concept was something I fell in love with the date is 8/24/13 the bottle says to drink by 9/13/13. Look it's expressive in appearance, copper bright body almost an orange layered hue to the beer with cream almost white head forms thick. Fine speckled lacing I'm again in love, why does this have to be the beer, one which sells out quicker than stores can get it in. Aroma has bright grapefruit, citrus notes that expel any notion of less than fresh hops. It's actually an explosion of hops withheld in a room of fresh hops, earthy qualities are dumbed down by bright citrus. Each gulp goes down smoother than the next, beautiful beer I'm drinking each sip thinking where is the next drink coming from that's a strong hook that radio DJs look for in every overproduced song on the market. This is not overproduced it's just the best quality beer of every quality IPA you have ever tried. Slick oily mouthfeel leads to expressive carbonation levels soft and excellent between every twist and turn get me a case and I will drink it.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

thanks phillyz for bringing this over as a surprise one morning
9.13.13 yay i finally get to try an enjoy by, and a fuckin great thing to wake up to
A- kinda cloudy amber coloured beer very nice appearance, small white head, dissapears quicklyral
S - very hoppy and piny
T - lots of hops, piney and fruity, kind of spicy after taste out of glass, not with bottle
M - kinda creamy, very smooth and easy to drink
O - definitely worth the wait, really awesome beer, best ipa ive had in a while
Had a chance to try the 11.12.13 today (11/1/13), also absolutely wonderful!
no real difference in taste or appearance, this is a very solid double ipa, and i reccommend it to any fan of the style

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

Clear amber golden colored ale with a puffy white head. Surprisingly light colored.

Smell is all hops.

Sweet smelling with gobs of tropical fruit aromas. Pineapple, Mango, orange, papaya, cinnamon and passion fruit. Malt scent is pretty much pineapple juice here.

Starts out sweet and savory. Good bitterness and orange rind. Flavor is not as complex as the smell.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a tasty ale but not quite as good as the smell promises.

4.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've had a few versions of this brew, but tonight I had the 9-13-13 version twice on tap at the Global Brew Tap Room in O'Fallon, IL. Served in a Boulevard tulip both times. Clear body, dark yellow with slight orange tint. About a one-finger head and decent lacing along the glass.

Nice aroma that starts with a strong note of citrus hops that trend toward a light pine cone aroma. A light, sweet, caramel malt to finish.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, but the hop blend is superb. Citrus, pine, light tropical notes, and just enough bitterness to have a decent bite. The hop/malt blend is nearly perfect for a DIPA - just enough sweet malt balance to the hops.

Medium thickness in the mouthfeel, with very little notice of the alcohol. This might be the best Stone beer I've ever had. RuinTen is close, but both are exceptional DIPAs.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a brilliant brassy hue with a foamy cream colored head. Patches of sticky lace.

Scent is noticeable on opening the bottle. Pinesap and resin, grapefruit, orange peel. Pungent hop notes.

Taste is even better. Minty hops. Spicy hops. Piney hops. Earthy hops. Dank oniony hops. Pineapple hops. Floral hops. Sure there is a crisp lightly sweet malt in there somewhere but who cares. This is a hop beatdown.

Mouth is juicy and slick with a dry finish. Not a thick heavy beer - refreshing and easy to drink.

Tremendously satisfying. Absolutley love it. I wish I could drink this year round.

4.96/5  rDev +12.7%

(First ever public beer review.. apologies in advance!)

Use by 9.13.13
bottled 8/9, enjoyed 8/23

Appearance- Lovely amber color. Nice, thick, lingering foamy head.

Smell- citrusy floral scent, pine undertones, strong grapefruit when inhaled deeply, vaguely sweet in a pleasingly heavy way. Memory stirring, puts me in mind of summer and honeysuckle bushes.

Taste- Beautiful. Very dry with a strong hoppy tang, yet smooth. Somewhat tart but with a slight sweetness, like a hint of honey with citrus. Alcohol is noticeable, but not in an unpleasant way. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, but not too dense. Fills your mouth and washes pleasantly over the tongue, leaving a nice lingering tingle.

Overall- Love it. This is an amazing taste that hits all my happy places for an IPA. SOOO glad I was able to get my hands on these. Definitely worth the hype. Wish I had been able to get more than two!

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

got the 9/13 brew.... solid attack on the senses.
brilliant neon gold glow. minor amounts of foam. laces admirably.
smells... like a hop festival.... did I mention I took their tour last night? super hot chick with red hair and a forward personality manning the mic....
strong floral taste. strong hop. hides the 9.4% well. not as fresh as the Pliny i'm drinking, and I like the Pliny a little better. it's more balanced. but if you're a hops guy, this is for you. it's got its place, I imagine. I do not prefer hop-heavy brews, but more of the balanced stuff, ya know? but it is good. I've come a long way in my assessment of hop-heavy brews....
I give the taste a 4.5 for its accomplishment of the hops domination. overall, however, it's an 85 in my book as I don't see the need to attack the sense with such hop-domination. I respect the intent, and the design, and for that it's "worthy" as the label says.
update: the 2.14.14 seems to be a different brew with different hops. more tangy and juicy with fruit flavors. a bit thinner, too, it seems, but it's an even better brew. is it my imagination?

4.06/5  rDev -7.7%

Finally. I've been trying to get my hands on this for a year now. Bottle from Mainbrew.

Pouring a clear gold with a dense white head with nice retention and lacing, this looks great. The nose is a big blast of pungent hops, pine, grapefruit and a minty herbal note being most dominant. Dank and resinous, You can tell that this beer is brashly hoppy. Alcohol is noticeable too.

The palate is quite bitter, with a blend of dank weed, pine resin and grapefruit pith lending plenty of bitterness. Alcohol is noticeable, emphasizing the brashness of the pungent hops. Faintly soapy as well. A little sweetness is present, mildly sugary with a burnt sugar effect(especially in conjunction with the hop bitterness). medium light in body, this beer is moderately carbonated and has a long, pungent finish that's a touch soapy. This is more of a bitter , dank west coast dipa than the more recent hugely aromatic dipas that are all the rage. Recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review By 9.13.13

A: nice light golden body, pours a nice frothy snow white head that laces quite nicely. moderate transparency.

S: enormous blast of pine resin and hops right out of the gate... assaulting the nose.. beautiful balance with a light burnt sugar malt backbone. big citrus and grapefruit dance along the side. this is terrific

T: following the nose, pine, big hop bitterness, grapefruit, orange peel, sugary malt.nice balance. no alcohol heat on the palate, but definitely warming in the stomach

M: a bit lighter than i was expecting, nice carbonation, leaves a powerful hop bitterness on the palate, dry finish

O: excellent brew. absolutely terrific for hopsheads. a must try.

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Review of 9.13.13 variety. First review on 8/23. 2nd review on 8/31 Poured from bottle into IPA glass.

A - Amber/light orange color. Small head on first pour. Medium head on 2nd our as bottle had warmed. Pleasant appearance.

S - Detected grapefruit and tropical fruit hints.

T - Citrus/apricot hints followed by bready bitterness, lasting long after finished drinking. Unfortunately, feel that beer is missing something... lacks complexity of flavors I was looking for.

M -Clean/crisp. Nice tingle on the tongue.

O - Disappointed on first attempt. Usually a big fan of Stone products, so I gave it another try. Had a better impression the 2nd time around, but still to do not believe this beer lives up to the hype.

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Yellow-orange. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Pine, citrus, and something very unique most likely from the Nelson Sauvin hops I know they used to dry hop this. This is probably the best beer I have smelled.

T - It has all the hop taste you would expect from Stone and doesn't taste anywhere near 9.4%, but it doesn't match up to the smell. I homebrew and I've used Nelson Sauvin. When I first smelled it I thought it was going to be the best hop ever, but I personally like the taste of Citra and Centennial better. In fact, I just had to drop the taste rating down a little (9-4-13) because that Nelson Sauvin aftertaste comes out even more when it isn't dead fresh, no wonder they put it right on the label to enjoy by a month after bottling. At this point, I'd probably rather have a Ruination.

M - Smooth and dry, almost too dry, and I like dry beers. Again, I can't believe this is a 9.4% beer.

O - This is the big dog and of course I'm drinking the 09.09.13 iteration as I write this review.

4.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased from Fleming Place in Topeka, KS. Bottle on 08/?/13. Enjoy by 9/13/13. Enjoyed out of a Tallgrass cervoise glass. Poured straight from the fridge.

Appearance: 2 fingers of tight, off white head from a gentle pour. Nice honey colored body and lacing.

Smell: A wonderful waterfall of hop cones. Green pine needles, floral citrus, pineapple and orange peel (like smelling a lemon or an orange before you eat it). Also a bit of green grass in the end. It's like smelling a handful of hop cones. A bit of sweet booze pops up.

Taste: Bright citrus fruits. Lemon zest and orange peel. A bitter pinyness and some grass. A sweet, sturdy malt backbone. Some biscuity malt. Finishes with a bitter herbalness. You can feel the ABV but it's not offensive.

Mouthfeel: Lower carbonation with a medium to full mouthfeel. A substantial beer though one I feel like taking gulps of. Very warming and sweet.

Overall: I just love the nose on this! Worth it just for that. The ABV is never too much and just comes off as sweet and mingles with the malt. Worth the $8 or so dollars. Stone just keeps bringing out the fun beers and I am so glad they're now in KS. One worthy of the hype!
Sipped on and contemplated while enjoying some aged Cheddar and Cryptopsy's None So Vile.

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber into a nonic pint, 9.13.2013 batch.

Marmalade with an eggshell covered head that dissipates into a ring of foam around the edges. Spotty lacing, clear body, and decent sized large bubbles.

Peaches and tangerines are the first thing that hit your nose. It's not really jumping out of glass at me, I have to get within about 4 inches to smell much of anything. Kind of disappointed about that, I remember the aromatics on the last batch I had being much better. But it certainly does smell nice when I can smell it.

The taste is where it really shines. Opens with lots of citrus and fruit. Tangerines, peaches, passion fruit, with a slight bit of dank pine and earhtyness on the finish. Up there with any other World class IPA in terms of flavor.

Light-medium bodied with a drying finish. A little bit sticky on the lips, and you can definitely feel the carbonation on your tongue as it eases into your mouth.

Great West coast style flavor with an emphasis on pitted fruit and zesty citrus. I honestly remember the previous batches of this jumping out of the glass at me more but it certainly doesn't smell bad when I can smell it. Still an outstanding IPA though.

4.23/5  rDev -3.9%

22 oz. bottle, with the bottled on date chipped and smeared away. The 10th batch of this beer, and the first I've managed to get my hands on. Stone Enjoy By 09.13.13, a more than obvious vintage date. I've been sitting on this bottle for about a week now, so I don't see the need to wait any longer! Exponentially stoked to have gotten this.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours a bronze-orange-gold colored body with just over a finger of bubbly off-white head that settles down to suds pretty quick. Second pour yields a good two fingers of creamy doughy off-white froth. Impressive clarity.

S - Nose is actually quite tame compared to what I was expecting. Some fresh cut grapefruit, apricot, blood orange, some soapiness, and a buttered biscuit malt backbone. Alcohol is barely detectable for being such a high abv beer. Smells pretty 'ordinary', but spot on.

T - Taste brings more of the same. Extremely well-balanced, and not the ridiculous hop bomb one might normally expect from Stone. The bready malts pair well with the fresh grapefruit hops.

M - Feel is extremely smooth, creamy, and clean. This is clearly a fresh beer, and even the mouthfeel reflects that fact. Dry bitter hop resins clinging to the palate. I feel like this would pair well with some cheese, and I wish I had some.

Overall, I was initially sort of let down by the 'tame' nature of this beer by Stone's standards, but this is remarkably smooth, creamy, well-balanced, and drinkable for having such a high 9.40% abv, and that is most likely due to the freshness factor. Call it a gimmick if you want, this is the pinnacle of fresh imperial IPA's.

Stone Enjoy By 09.13.13 IPA ---4/5.

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

10 day old bottle into an unbranded Rastal Luttich.

Golden clear pour with good carbonation.

Smells are salty spicy dank hops. Damnit, I need to start homebrewing if this is what fresh hops can smell like in the glass. Love it. I don't know if Nelson Sauvin is here, but it sure smells like it.

T: Thankfully, follows the nose. Salty and earthy hops coat the tongue, spicy vibe too. Continues that N. Sauvin theme. A bit of garlic/onion, but in the back and it works with the other flavors. some typical pine/citrus as well.

M: Pretty clean overall. If this could be resined-up and and stickified I would be even happier.

O: Top shelf. Will be buying again. Hit me in all the right spots.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap poured into snifter.

A: 4.5 bright golden with less than 1 finger of white head
S: 4.25 super hoppy, strong malt back bone
T: 4.5 same as smell, strong hops with the backbone to support it.
M: 4.5 carbed well, smooth
O: 4.5 this brew does not disappoint. Very happy to find it on draft, hope these keep coming out in Indiana!

4.93/5  rDev +12%

A-A nice golden color with low carbonation. A very clear pour.
S- It has a nice balance of pine and citrus aromas> Smells clean.
T- For a taste it has a wonderful full flavor of hops to begin, then it follows with a clean finish just as the nose does. The bitterness lingers for a moment and then leaves your palate begging for more.
M-The mouthfeel is slightly full bodied but the finish cleans it all up. Carbonation is low but still apparent. One of the best balanced IIPAs I can remember.
O- Overall I love this IPA. I could drink this baby a hundred times before it expires. Good fucking job.

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from bottle to tulip.

A - Amazingly clear golden honey orange with a nice frothy white head. Spectacular.

S - Super fresh hop smell. Filled with pine, citrus and a very mild onion / garlic undertone that makes it just smell super dank and complex.

T - An immediate dominant hop flavor hits the tongue with mostly tropical fruits but with pine and onion more apparent on the finish. No alcohol taste whatsoever.

M - Medium bodied thickness that really coats your mouth. Carbonation and body feels just right on this one!

O - My favorite Stone offering and one of my favorites overall. Such a classic Stone west coast hopped beer that stands high and above most others out there.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Pours up a copious amount of head which has pretty good retention. The head is pure cotton white while the body is a pale amber which glows a little bit lighter when held up to the light. Some lacing left behind.

Nose- Very warm and inviting. The most dominant note that I get is peach and more peach. There is some orange and citrus as well. Some melon and tropical fruit.

Taste- The flavor profile begins with citrus which is followed by lots of peach, melon, and tropical fruit. Obviously very reflective of the head. Ends with a nice finish of pine and resin and the kind of spiciness you tend to get from really fresh hops. Solid, very good imperial. There is a dollop of honey and caramel on the finish. This seems a little odd to me as most IIPAs that I've had show their malt notes in the middle. There are nectar and floral notes as well. I don't detect any heat at all. The beer has incredible balance and integration. It has a good amount of juiciness which has become standard for IIPAs these days.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with a little bit of syrup. Good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability- Very well rounded for an IIPA. Very easy drinking. And the price point of 7 bucks a bomber is pretty much unbeatable for a quality beer of this style. No heat at all.

Overall- Very good beer, solid IIPA. Very fresh and definitely worth a try.

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the best beer I have had since I started to get into craft beers. I have always loved skunky beers and this beer has tremendous hoppy flavor, but it also has a piney slightly skunky flavor. I've had Pliny the Elder and I think this beer has an edge on it.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.