Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,306 | Hads: 9,804
4.42/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. 9.13.13 poured into a DFH Pint Glass.

A: Slight yellow-strawish color. A bit hazy. Lack of carbonation bubbles visible. Solid head that fades into a slight spiderweb lacing. Interesting.

S: Grapefruit, citrus, pine and a slight fading alcohol.

T: Pine, grassy notes, followed up by big grapefruit and citrus explosions. Alcohol is undetectable.

M: Heavy for a DIPA, but carbonation balances well. Bitter from beginning to end. Just how a DIPA should be.

O: Only thing I can say..A must have. This is the third time I've had a beer from this series. All amazing.

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

this is a review of 09.13.13

took a little while to find this series, but a local distributor got a keg today and i filled up my growler posthaste. $20 for 64oz growler seemed like a solid deal to me (normally around $9 for a bomber). poured about a pints worth to celebrate finding it. Color was one the lightest DIPA's I can remember. the nose was mostly piney, with a hint of spice, very solid. TASTE was great, piney with i'm guessing some onion maybe, something kicking it up a little, and the solid bitter finish. a nice unique blend that i've never tasted. malt isn't so pronounced, just enough to let the hops do their thing, i.e. not so much balanced as it is geared toward the hop-head. the only downside would be the mouthfeel, a little light, i like my doubles to feel like doubles, this drinks like a regular IPA, which isn't really a bad thing depending on how you look at it. insane drinkability, love this beer. i haven't really had a Stone offering that I REALLY loved yet, but this is Definitely the first. For anyone who needs that foot-in-the-door to Stone, dig it. Bottom line, an absolute must have.

edit: next night (bout half the growler left) definitely got some Bubblegum notes in the nose, but not much in the taste.

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Golden copper color, but missing a fiery red hue I like to see in my hoppy beers.

Oh my god, oh my god kyle. It is of that define ambrosia that I liken to a slight tropical bubblegum, with crisp fall bitter. This smell makes me scream, "TAKE MY MONEY!"

I wanted to find more fault, I really did. It is one of those rare switch from the nose. I taste the bitterness first, and it mellows into a fruit sweetness almost ending in watermelon notes.

A little weak on the bubble, but it is hard to detract from the delicate coating and flavor left.

Second time I have been able to find this excellent series, and it is one of those fantastic beers that makes the whole chase and luck worthwhile.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've heard others descripe this as 'juicy'...now I know what they meant. Beautiful aroma of citrus and pear. Perfectly balanced. A nice smooth mouth feel that only accentuates the malty sweetness on the back of the palate. A 'must have' in these waning days of summer.

2.8/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoy by 09-13-13 poured in Lunar Pint Glass

A) Very pretty looking beer, clear, light amber, carbination

S) Pine

T) I wonder if I got a bad bottle, too piney, no sweetness at all.

M) Oily, over carbinated

O) I did not like it, never had a pine bomb before and will never get it again. Sorry Stone

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours from tap at fabulous Stone brewing a light amber-orange with small head and minimal lacing.

A strong hop bomb hits the nose and tongue, shattering the competing sweet caramel and citrus in the background. The carbonation and body are overwhelmed by the perfection of hops and hop taste.

WHAM! WOW! This is hops utopia, and a real beer lover's delight.

The brewery is outstanding and serves nothing but the best beers in the world. Check them out already!!

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Enjoy by 09.13.13. bottled on 08.09.13. poured into tulip.

A: pours pretty clear. I would say a deep golden hue. really great clarity for a DIPA. frothy bright white head has great retention and leaves a good deal of lacing on the way down.

S: after the initial pour this smells like copious amounts of hop oils. definitely grapefruit, definitely pine. a lot of hop resins here. all about the hops. very American. wouldn't hate for some malt balance, but that would be tough to compete with all this resin.

T: a bit of bubblegum. virtually no grain presence. really resiny on the back-end. not overwhelmingly bitter in the finish, a little during the drink though. I mean it is there, but not as much as most brews of this hop magnitude. a bit of alcohol burn too.

M: pretty mellow carb. tingly. full bodied for sure. works.

D: really tasty stuff from Stone. I love how much this beer demands fresh consumption. I am sure it is quite the challenge for their distribution staff and network, so that gets extra points in my book.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- Amazing, medium golden to near red in thicker parts of the glass. It's crystal clear. Thick white head that diminishes in about two minutes but some remnants remain.

S- If there is a weak point to the beer, this is it. The hops smell surprisingly understated while I get more caramel and grain aromas.

T- Pine and mild floral hopping jump right out at you. Pay a little more attention and I found a bit of crystal malt back their. I would not say that this is an super complex beer but the hopping clearly utilized multiple additions. Basically, the whole beer is meant to be a platform for the hops... as it damn well should.

M- Medium body. Medium-high carbonation adds to drinkability and increases perception of hops. Very well done in my opinion. I never have much to say about mouth feel.

O- I really like this beer. I'd buy it again. If I could improve one thing it would be making the grain bill more pronounced but hey, its an IPA.

2.8/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

It's got a pretty good front, but that aftertaste is like dried orange peels and driftwood. Very hoppy, but not necessarily in a good way. You shouldn't say "finally" when you're finished...

Thinking maybe we got a bad batch, because the three (highly reviewed) beers we had at the establishment were all average at best.

4.23/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

91313 Poured from the 22 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn flute.

a: Clear deep gold with a finger thick white head which receded quickly to very thin patches of surface foam and some stringy lacing.

s: Pine with a slight oniony tinge.

t: Bitter pine hits immediately, but the underlying feel is refreshingly light. Seems like a near perfect Southern California/Southwest US beer, light yet spicy. 9.4 ABV very well hidden except perhaps going down.

m: Light at first, but the hop bite lingers on the sides of the tongue and even in the throat, making it seem more substantial.

o: A different DIPA, the onion hints in the pine bite were not strong enough to be off-putting, and makes this brew distinctive.

UPDATE 9/11/13 had another bottle on a hot night with a cigar in the gazebo, and did not detect the onion. Drank from a tulip glass this time. What came across most was a winsomely slick mouthfeel along with moderate hops. It was still lovely, certainly no reason to downgrade my earlier assessment, only to note a slightly different impression.

UPDATE 11/13/13 FOR ENJOY BY 11/12/13: Enjoying this vintage even more than the last. Wonderfully tasty piney hops dominate a light to moderate, very easy drinking brew, especially for such a high ABV, which it is hard to believe from drinking except for some slight throat burn. Hardly any tongue bite on this one despite the very strong hops flavor. This one I'd score conservatively a:4.0, s: 4.5, t: 4.75, m: 4.5 o: 4.5

UPDATE 2/5/14 for ENJOY BY 2.14.14: Gotta improve my appearance score for this one, to 4.5, two inch tall white head receded slowly to rocky surface foam and dense patterned lacing. There have been so many great new DIPAS out since my last Enjoy By in November, some of which I'd rate close to or even higher than Enjoy By, and it's still so expensive at $8+ a bomber, that I may well stop at buying one bottle per issue from now on. Consider Lagunitas Sucks (not new but the new issue is out, plentiful and relatively cheap), Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Sixpoint Hi-Res, Long Trail Limbo, Smuttynose Durty, Victory Dirt Wolf and Hop Ranch and Otter Creek/Lawson Double Dose, etc. Enjoy By is great, but new competition, some of which is at a lower to much lower price point, is making it less of a must-have IMO.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review of 9-13-13. Pours a glorious crystal-clear amber color with a pure white foam that dissipates a bit quickly. The nose gives a powerful blend of pine and citrus hops, with a hint of nectarine underneath. The first sip is wonderfully rich and complex, with an assertive (but not over-the-top) hoppiness evenly balanced with a subtly sweet caramel malt and an odd twinge around the edges that I just can't put my finger on -- maybe a weird blend of mango and onion? Very nice smooth texture, relatively full-bodied, dry on the upper palate. The finish is kind of short, but leaves a nice lingering bitterness. Overall, an excellent example of the DIPA style. Well done, gentlemen.

4.71/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured (into a tulip) almost the color of a single malt with smallish head that quickly disappeared to nothing. Nose was wonderful - citrus (especially orange and grapefruit) grass and some other herbs in the back. Taste is, at first, pretty dry and bitter but quickly gives way to sweet citrus notes of lemon, mango and grapefruit. Finish brings in just enough malt to balance this nicely. Alcohol warming is there as you would expect with the ABV, but not excessively. Carbonation is fairly low but present nevertheless. Mouthfeel is medium but doesn't present an overly cloying or sticky feel as you might expect. All-in-all, this is a delicious west-coast style IPA I hope Stone shares again.
9-13:"Enjoyed" from a bottle purchased from Pinocchio's in Media and served in a snifter. Poured a light golden orange with a one-finger head which dissipated almost immediately to a thin coating. While there was light lacing, it marked the glass throughout. The nose was oranges, lemon, grapefruit, mango, and pine. The taste was wonderfully hop-centric, with oranges and lemon predominating but the malts in the background ALMOST come forward for balance. The finish was only slightly bitter, moderately dry and slick. Beer was medium in body and somewhat oily with nice carbonation. None of these descriptors would necessarily suggest my conclusion that this was a GREAT DIPA. I wasn't prepared for HOW good, given my previous experiences with Stone's other Enjoy By offerings. If you like hoppy beers, you MUST try this!

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 9 13 13. On tap at George street alehouse.

Arrives in a pint glass with a half finger of foam. Clear bright orange color. Aroma is fantastically hoppy, redolent of grapefruit and citrus. Wow. First sip is an explosion of hoppy goodness with a very smooth finish. No harsh bitterness here and just enough malt to round things out. This beer is hop flavor in a glass without any harsh bitterness or cloying sweetness.

It's been a long time since I've had an ipa this good and is making me fall in love with hops all over again. I will look for this beer again!

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Uncle Barry’s bar in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

A – Poured a light honey/golden wheat color with a one finger head that left little lacing.

S – Big grapefruit aroma up front. Faded a bit as the beer warmed.

T – Not as great as I was hoping. A touch oily but masked by the tropical notes. Of course the west coast hops are ever present as expected.

M - Mouth feel is good for a DIPA. The alcohol is remarkably hidden as I didn't realize it was 9.40% until I looked it up.

O - I was happy I was finally was able to catch this limited release on tap. The nose was the star of the show. This beer is incredibly fresh, another winner from Stone.

As an edit I had the 12.26.14. The nose was extremely oniony which was a big time turn off. Couldn't get past that. It was fresh but I wouldn't give it a 99. Maybe a b*. What happened?

4.07/5  rDev -7.5%

Bomber into a Guinness pint glass. Enjoy by 09/13/13.

Appearance- Pours a copper color with a half inch head that recedes to a slight foam on top and leaves good lacing. Lots of visible carbonation, a bit much for the style.

Smell- Hops and more hops. Nice blend of citrus and pine, strong smell but not overpowering. I do get a background smell of onion that a lot of others have experienced with this release, but I think it compliments nicely.

Taste- Again lots of hops with a bitterness to be expected from stone. I get bitter grapefruit and pine with that onion again lingering in the background. I get a slight caramel flavor as it warms though I would like a bit more of a malt backbone.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with a bit high carbonation. Leaves a slick resin after swallowing.

Overall- Really good beer. The onion character is actually a good accent for both the taste and smell. Not an overly dry beer and very drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up at Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip. Enjoy by 09.13.13

A - Pours a crystal clear light honey hue with a one finger creamy head that fades to leave light lacing and a thin blanket.

S - Mmmm...yeah, dig the nose. Nice almost bubblegum hop aromas here, grapefruit, super faint tropical, nicely dank.

T - Similar to the nose, but not nearly as good. Nice bubblegum notes as well nice bitter pine and grapefruit, solid bitter hop finish. Not getting much tropical notes of floral fruits. Bubblegum, pine, and grapefruit.

M - Mouthfeel is solid for the style and the alcohol is hidden nicely.

O - Overall, a solid beer from stone. Gotta love a good, fresh DIPA.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Light orange to a deep amber yellow, with about one finger of white foam. It dissipates fairly quickly, though it still shows a lot of carbonation and lacing.

Smell: As I was pouring it, I could smell that signature IPA smell: bitter, bitter hops with a lot of citrus.

Taste: Wow, this is big. There is a lot of orange. It is almost like an orange creamsicle. Mixed with that are notes of orange zest, grapefruit, and lemon rind. There is some sweetness too, almost a hint of vanilla. As I keep drinking, I pick up on more grassy, bitter hop notes, which begin to dominate more and more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Thick and very creamy, with lots of nice carbonation. It has a nice, crisp, clean, bitter, and almost mouth-puckering finish.

Overall: This is a great IPA, and a perfect example of the style. It takes bitter to the next level. My girlfriend describes it as an "alcohol waterfall," and that somehow seems appropriate.

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Paid 10 bucks for the bomber into a pint glass. 0/13/13 release.

A - For what it's worth I like the 1/4 inch of head that settles to a thick ring. Means its thick in body with little carbonation which is good.
S - Smell is hoppy yet mild strong pineapple hops meets some balancing crystal and cracker malts.
T - Well it's hoppy and bitter quite medicinal. Borderlines Ruination in bitterness cloying bitter and sticks to the palate after every sip. OK I guess.
M - Medium and thick in body. bitter and unforgiving.

Overall I can drink it but its too bitter and medicinal for me. Wish it had more balance.

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled on 8/09, enjoy by 9/13.

A: Pours a bright amber. Initial pour was very cautious and produced a less than half-finger head that quickly dissipated, a more aggressive top-off produced a towering creamy off-white head, easily three fingers high, which gradually subsides to a persistent finger or so. Sticky curtains of lacing.

S: Grapefruit is the star here, with powerful undercurrents of pine, lemon zest, apricot. Strong floral notes as well, subtle grassiness and just a hint of biscuity malt. Despite all this, fairly restrained in its attitude...complex and delicious, but it doesn't exactly jump out of the glass at me.

T: An initial wallop of bitter pine and citrus yields quickly to a surprisingly balanced middle, with grassy and earthy notes from the hops mingling pleasantly with sweet bready malts, along with hints of sweeter fruit--pineapple, mango, a bit of peach. Finishes clean, dry, and bitter, slight notes of spiciness and even a little woodiness. The spiciness on the finish masks the alcohol well.

M: Medium-bodied and creamy, pleasantly carbonated. Somewhat oily for most of the mouthful, with a slightly soapy finish.

O: A damn fine beer, not quite worthy of the hype only because of how very much hype every release seems to generate. Strip the fervor that its rotating geographical release causes away, and the beer itself is easily among the best examples of the DIPA category that I've enjoyed. Would have again in a heartbeat.

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Okay so the only and I mean the only reason I do not give this beer a blanket 5.0 is that only God is perfect. I mean there is no such thing as a perfect woman so I guess beer would have to fall in that category, please beer take no offense. I usually do not get excited about the color of a beer this one though has a nice peach looking color to it great eye appeal, just something a little different from other IPA's and their copper-orange color. Great hit of citrus when I stuck my nose in my glass, holy crud the alcohol content is hitting me already, WOW, and lingered well after the head fizzled down. The same with the first intake of the beer, real good citrus flavor followed by a smooth and mellow wheat flavor. For being an Imperial (double IPA) this is unusually mellow yet like I said holy crud the alcohol is hard hitting. This is definately not a swilling IPA, take the time to really enjoy this IPA, you will be pleased each pull on this beer is just as good as the first. The good thing is that the after taste of the beer does not hang around leaving you with that "I just licked a leather boot heal" taste in your mouth that some shoddier IPA's will have the tendency to do. This is an excellent IPA, I look forward to the next batch of Enjoy By, Stone Brewing be darn proud of this beer, darn proud. Now if you all will excuse me I have a girlfriend to go drink.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber with a quickly dissipating, two finger head that settles into a spotty cap that lasts throughout. Decent lacing. Great floral aroma up front with nice sweet malt notes in the background. Hoppy bitterness hits the front of the tongue followed by a torrent of pine resin and grapefruit rind. Sweet malt backbone balances the hops nicely. Mouthfeel is where this ale shines; smooth and easy drinking for the ABV. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Overall, this is an outstanding example of an Imperial IPA, extremely well crafted and balanced. Kudos Stone.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Finally tried this. On tap at Bottle Revolution in Raleigh. Looks great. Fantastic aroma with lots of citrus and tropical fruit. Flavor heavy on the bitterness over the more subtle hop flavors. Great stuff. I hate that it's hard to find but like the emphasis on freshness.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A beer, I have been wanting to try...that doesn't come along so much anymore. I'm not saying it's hyped up but I love fresh IPA. The concept was something I fell in love with the date is 8/24/13 the bottle says to drink by 9/13/13. Look it's expressive in appearance, copper bright body almost an orange layered hue to the beer with cream almost white head forms thick. Fine speckled lacing I'm again in love, why does this have to be the beer, one which sells out quicker than stores can get it in. Aroma has bright grapefruit, citrus notes that expel any notion of less than fresh hops. It's actually an explosion of hops withheld in a room of fresh hops, earthy qualities are dumbed down by bright citrus. Each gulp goes down smoother than the next, beautiful beer I'm drinking each sip thinking where is the next drink coming from that's a strong hook that radio DJs look for in every overproduced song on the market. This is not overproduced it's just the best quality beer of every quality IPA you have ever tried. Slick oily mouthfeel leads to expressive carbonation levels soft and excellent between every twist and turn get me a case and I will drink it.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

thanks phillyz for bringing this over as a surprise one morning
9.13.13 yay i finally get to try an enjoy by, and a fuckin great thing to wake up to
A- kinda cloudy amber coloured beer very nice appearance, small white head, dissapears quicklyral
S - very hoppy and piny
T - lots of hops, piney and fruity, kind of spicy after taste out of glass, not with bottle
M - kinda creamy, very smooth and easy to drink
O - definitely worth the wait, really awesome beer, best ipa ive had in a while
Had a chance to try the 11.12.13 today (11/1/13), also absolutely wonderful!
no real difference in taste or appearance, this is a very solid double ipa, and i reccommend it to any fan of the style

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

Clear amber golden colored ale with a puffy white head. Surprisingly light colored.

Smell is all hops.

Sweet smelling with gobs of tropical fruit aromas. Pineapple, Mango, orange, papaya, cinnamon and passion fruit. Malt scent is pretty much pineapple juice here.

Starts out sweet and savory. Good bitterness and orange rind. Flavor is not as complex as the smell.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a tasty ale but not quite as good as the smell promises.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.