Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

4.76/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is just fantastic. Props to stone for upping their game, yet again. On tap at rustico, best by 5-17. You MUST have this beer on tap, it excels over the bottle noticeably in that format.

Pours a pretty gold and slightly orange color, clear with a ring of head, very pretty.

The smell is just awesome, pungent dank hops soaked in a mix of pepper, honey and earth, very clear that this beer is all about highlighting the hops no question, very little malt. Outstanding. The taste follows suit and features a very plant based hop base which is just delicious. Maybe a touch of sweet to give a malt backbone but the stars are hop flavors: citrus, weed, pepper, earth, pungent hop nugget.

The feel is nice, great carbonation and a medium feel, a lasting aftertaste of bitter sweet dripping hops.

Overall, wow. An excellent beer, on par or better than their IPA specialty neighbors Alpine which is high praise. Well done Stone.

4.91/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed a 4.01.13 version. Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz. bomber.

A - Beautiful golden/light copper color, crystal clear, nice carbonation, decent head. Lots of lacing.

S - Best part! Very hoppy, grassy, some spice. Makes you want to drink slowly and savor every scent.

T - Hoppy and piny, some initial sweetness. Still developing my palate but as such I can still say this is one of the best-tasting IPAs I've had.

M - Not light but not terribly heavy. Smooth and highly drinkable.

Overall - Easily the best IPA I've had. Pick some up if you get a chance. The local liquor store limits these to 1 per customer due to scarcity--now I understand why.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Enjoy by 4.01.13. Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Orange, honey-like color with a medium, 1-inch head. Not clear, but light.

N - Resiny, citrusy, grassy hops shine through the nose. Smells fresh, as advertised. Hints of grapefruit and a hoppy characteristic I've never smelled before--like a savory spice.

T: Very hop-forward, moderately bitter, with interesting hop complexity. Fresh-tasting citrus hops, resin, orange, grapefruit, grassy hops. Subdued malt, but good balance, given the hop profile.

M: High carbonation, may be a bit thin, and feels very dry (which is surprising, because it's almost 10% alcohol) and drinkable. Drinks easily and warms simultaneously.

O: Excellent beer. Dry, complex, hop-centric profile with excellent drinkability. One of Stone's best offerings. I sure hope they continue to make these for upcoming summer nights.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

My first "Enjoy By" was the 04-01-13 brew out of a bomber. It was immediant love at first sip! Hop madness straight out the bottle! Poured a golden yellow imto a standard British pint glass. The bitterness of the hops was easily disguished by an amaziing smoothness and overall drinkability not found in average IPA's.

My second, the 08-02-13 edition, was enjoyed really fresh (brewed 06-28-13'- consumed 07-01/02-13) via a growler straight from the brewery! If you ever get a chance to visit, this is a mandatory stop...but I digress. The 08-02 poured same as the 04-01 and each glass was consistent throughout. This has to be one of Stone's best!!

Third: 09-13-13 edition, 22oz bomber, not as tasty as the "straight from the brewery" taste I enjoyed in August, but still an the best IPA I've had!

3.91/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 04.01.13

Poured into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a clear light gold with just a tiny white head that quickly fades to a thin cap. Just a few chunks of lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

The aroma has a very pungent, almost oniony thing going on combined with some pine sap and a touch of tropical fruit. No malt to speak of as it is all hops here and they prove to be very mouth watering.

Lots of orange and pine in the flavor with just a touch of butterscotch. More earth and sap coming in towards the middle along with some tartness. There is a brief sweetness that appears but is then quickly ushered away by an extreme drying bitterness. Mouthfeel is somewhat silky but then finishes very dry which is impressive for a beer of this strength. Alcohol is completely hidden making this dangerously drinkable.

Overall, another great IIPA from stone. I love the drinkablity and the unique hop combination of this brew and am really glad I picked it up.

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

Very bright white head with a thick foamy texture. The color appears more golden with less orange hues typical for an IPA.

The scent is remarkably complex with floral and citrus hops blending well. Mango, tangerine, lemon, and orange play out of a sweet citrusy tone. Musky, pine and earthy scents mix in as well, in a strong aromatic display.

The taste is equally complex and strong but more dominated by the earthy, musky and even oniony hop characters. The citrus notes are near the front but its hard to discern the individual tastes. The floral, piney tastes than dominate and finish. No alcohol taste is present but a great warmth spreads through the chest.

I can appreciate this for all the character it possesses even if it is not necessarily my cup of beer.

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

Re-review of newer batches. The 7/4 Enjoy By made me realize that I have this one way underrated. It's got the perfect blend of bitterness and hop flavor for my palate. As such, I now hunt this down every time it shows up in MD.

---

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison.

S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it's not quite to my preference for an IPA.

T: At first, there's some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it's some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there's a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn't strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it's not all bad, I guess.

I've got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown.

M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not 'as fuck', but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I'm reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable.

O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let's not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn't love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.