Follow our progress ...

Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
4.4

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,415 | Ratings: 10,378
4.31/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Review written based on notes. So I was able to enjoy by 9/13/13, at which point the beer becomes angry and turns to molten lava which burns the esophagus.

Appearance - The beer was a handsome copper color with a white head. Lacing was demonstrated on the sides of the glass

Smell - The aroma was most emblematic of pine. One could detect the citrus, but the pine dominates.

Taste - Initially, the tongue alerts the brain to tastes of orange and spice. For a DIPA, one might suggest this beer to be quite thick. Toward the aftertaste, one notes a massive hop hit on the roof of the mouth. The thickness allows the hop burn to linger.

Mouthfeel - This is thick, particularly for DIPA. I don't mean this in a negative way.

Overall - At a bottle share, this DIPA was consumed in succession with Pipeworks Unicorn's Revenge. While this one is good, Unicorn's Revenge was the consensus winner.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

1700th review! 22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 8/9/2013. Pours slightly hazy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of huge pineapple, mango, passion fruit, lemon zest, tangerine, orange rind, peach, floral, pine, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Incredible aromas with big complexity of tropical and citrus hops with a moderate malt balance; and great strength. Taste of big pineapple, peach, mango, lemon zest, tangerine, orange rind, passion fruit, pine, floral, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Fair amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of pineapple, peach, mango, lemon zest, tangerine, orange rind, passion fruit, pine, floral, and light caramel on the finish for a good bit. Incredible complexity of big citrus/tropical hop flavors with surprisingly light pine presence; with a moderate malt balance and zero cloying bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly creamy and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an incredible DIPA as expected. All around awesome complexity of tropical/citrus hops; and dangerously smooth to sip on for the ABV. An extremely delicious offering.

4.84/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy by on the day. A day of both sadness and joy as we say goodbye to a grandma and celebrate the b-day of my son. A big 4. A memorable day capped by a memorable beer. Stone lives up to their rep and the hype. Great beer living up to a day to remember for a life, capped by 9/13/13 . Truly enjoyed as we celebrate a life well lived for 93 years and the exhuberence of a 4 year old. A great lasting Hops enfused beer memory.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 09.13.13
Bottled 08/09/13

A= Pours a beautiful translucent dehydrated piss yellowish orange color with a nice thick two fingers of head on it that holds great retention and lacing on the side of the glass.

S= The smell is wonderful. Big bright hops. Potent as hell I can smell it from a ways away from the glass. Nice and grapefruity smelling.

T= The taste is no different. It has a big grapefruit taste to it. Like a super bright in season ruby red. This baby is rolling on all cylinders with the hops that's for sure.

M= This is perfectly carbonated.

O= This is a great beer. I grabbed it on the last day and it's still drinking like a champ. I would drink this tomorrow even if Stone doesn't recommend it.

3.96/5  rDev -10%

Long time craft beer drinker and enthusiast, but this is my first review on Beer Advocate. This review is for 9.13.13.

A - Pours a nice dark copper like a solid Imperial IPA should. About half a finger of head which dissipated a bit quicker than I expected. Some nice lacing.

S - Piney. Like walking into a nursery during Christmas time when you're looking to purchase that perfect tree. Somewhat grassy, but the aroma is deeper than that. Cannabis like in a way as well.

T - Pine, all pine, in a really, really good way. Hits of rosemary. Definitely not citrusy. Again, it's way deeper than that. Almost woodsy but not earthy. Strong hop flavor but surprisingly not bitter. Great finish.

M - Harsh somewhat at first, but finishes extremely smooth. Not as silky as something like Heady, but very good in its own right. A bit of carbonation, a little more than expected. Amazingly, like others have said, very drinkable. Not sessionable by any means, but definitely a beer you can enjoy a few times in a day or night.

O - Just an excellent Imperial IPA. One of the better I've had in awhile. It kind of gets everything right, but the tad bit of harshness before it mellows out stops it from being exceptional. But, truthfully, that's nit picking as this is a tremendous beer when compared to others in its style.

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

Just opened a bottle of 09.13.13 and this is one of the best beers I've ever had. It tastes like I got it straight from the brewery. Smooth, hoppy without being over-bearing and a finish as smooth as silk. It's everything that I wish Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA would have been without the mouth-destroying feel.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It poured a nice golden hue with a subdued white head. The aroma of hops jumped out of the bottle with fruity citrus notes, a bit of pine and even the dank hops I know and love. There are obviously a lot of hops which is to be expected from a Stone IPA, but they were handled very well. Loads and loads, but balanced so as not to give you the bitter beer face or palate wrecking experience of some IPAs. There were tropical fruits and citrus on the front end with the pine bitterness coming through on the back leaving a nice bitter coating on your palate. All of these great hop flavors were riding a danky hoppiness that held it all together. The Enjoy By IPA really handled the hops with a more delicate balance. One of my all time favorite IPAs.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dank, dank IPA. Very good. I have had several of the enjoy by batches, and have loved every one. Best consumed on a warm day straight from a pint glass.

A - Standard color for a top-quality IPA. A dark gold with some small sparkles raising in the glass after the pour. A thick finger and a half of off-white head rounding off the top of the pint glass.

S - Like a douglas fur christmas tree. Rosemary, cannabis, cut grass, and grapefruit. Unmistakably an imperial IPA on first whiff.

T - Grapefruit, basil, fresh pine come to mind. Like I said, dank. Strong, yet unoffensive taste. Easy to enjoy. Hops are strong with this one.

M - This feels ridiculously good upon first sip. I was comparing this to RuinTen, which I love, but this just feels better.

O - If I had a choice between this 17th Anniversary, or RuinTen, I would take this beer without hesitation. I enjoy it more than the 17th anniversary... and even more than the 16th Anniversary. I would put this up with the best-of-the-best double IPAs out there. Double Jack, Pliny the Elder, Cafe Racer 15 - Enjoy By is definitely in the big leagues. One of my favorite IPAs. Easily.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Review is done from notes. I had this brew while on vacation in South Carolina. I seem to have trouble finding Stone special releases at home. Anyways...

This review is specifically from a 9.13.13 bottle

A: Poured out a slightly hazy amber color with one finger of white head. Not much retention or lacing to speak of.

S: Big smell of pine, some floral hope and sweet citrus.

T: All the flavors found in the smell but not as potent as I would have expected. The background flavor is of biscuit and pineapple.

M: Medium, creamy body with a lighter and softer carb.

O:These "Enjoy By" brews are wonderful. Also tried a Enjoy By 4.21.13 on tap in prior experience and was very impressed. 9.3 abv and you can hardly tell. A very smooth DIPA that is great to sip on. I would definitely go out of my way for one of these.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed 3 bottles of this fine brew between 2 and 3 weeks after their bottling date. Extremely floral on the nose and in the mouth. Very crisp and fresh. One of my favorite IPA's.

I had the opportunity to consume three bottles of Stone's Enjoy By (9.21.12) which was the first run of this special release the brewery made available to the greater tri-state area, being New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 9.13.13, enjoyed on 8.23.13.

Bottle to tulip.

A: Straw color that is slightly golden. Aggressive pour yielded a healthy head that retreated to a frothy rim and minor film. Excellent lacing.

S: Moderate to strong fragrance. Bursts of resin, citrus, grapefruit, straw, and pine. Very well balanced aromas. A tiny bit of booze as it opens.

T: The citrus that is noticeable on the nose turns mostly to pine and resin in the taste. Very strong hop bitterness. Not much booze in the taste, well hidden, even after it opens.

M: Slightly harsh, but a clean finish. High carbonation.

O: Not in my precise IPA wheelhouse, but I certainly enjoyed this beer. I will certainly enjoy it again next time it comes around. I really enjoyed the multi-layer aromas. This beer changes slightly as it opens, but its better darn good crisp and cold.

4.76/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

9.13.13
A: Pale bronze with a vicious white head. lots of carbonation bubbles from the bottom.

S: Pine tar and resin with a slight floral component. A little herbal. fresh grass and bright sharp citrus before and onslaught of ripe peach, nectarine and orange.

T: Taste definitely doesnt disappoint. Flower pollen and grapefruit hit you at once. Sweet tangerine and burnt orange zest follow it up. Sticky caramel and peach show up before bitter pine resin stick it straight to your tastebuds. A little spicy herbal finish that stays with you all night.

M: Very crisp for a double. light with more carbonation than i expected. proceed with caution because this is dangerously drinkable.

O: Stone has been on fire recently and this is no exception. an absolute standout. I need more! /96

4.94/5  rDev +12.3%

Unbelievably fresh, aromatic, and deliciously balanced IPA befitting the ratings it's received here. I'm looking forward to trying it on draft soon. The notes of fruit are apparent immediately and the finish is undeniably smooth. Up there with Heady Topper with my favorite IPA so far.

4.62/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a review of the 09.13.13 IPA. Drank it on 09.04.13.

Got a growler of it from Oliver's Brew Crew in Albany, NY, poured fresh from a keg. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. light copper/golden in color and crystal clear (flitered?) with a thick white head that fades to lacing on the glass. This one is an amazing double IPA. Smells of passion fruit, grapefruit and some mango in the background. Little to no malt in the aroma. The taste starts off slightly sweet and explodes with citrus flavor up front: grapefruit and passion fruit with just enough sweetness to balance it out, but nothing to stand in the way of the hops. Middle gets a bit more fruitiness form the hops: mango. Finishes with a touch of piney resinousness and a light lingering bitterness. A touch of alcohol heat, but it in no way tastes to be the 9.4% it claims.

Overall, just what a DIPA should be. It's a high octane beer that drinks easy. This one is focused intensely on hop flavor and aroma with just enough bitterness and malt to balance the beer out and hide the alcohol content. One of the best DIPAs I've had.

4.93/5  rDev +12%

Fantastic IPA! Great aroma and color as soon as you tap it! Had the privilege of enjoying it on tap at the Craft Ale House in Limerick, PA. This beer rivals Pliny The Elder or Firestone Double Jack IPA. Great citrus from the first sip and great hops throughout with a good malty finish. This is a top flight beer!

4.16/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served on tap at three rivers six pack in delmont

Appearance clear orange, with bright white half-finger head. Some lacing.

Smells great...piney and sweet but not overwhelming.

Taste is similar. Really piney/syrupy, sorta dank but not dried at all,very wet. Juicy.

Feels smooth, if not a bit thick for an IPA.

Overall fantastic. It's got a lot-a-bit of everything and for some May be too much. I enjoy it very much.

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- poured a very light orange - practically see through,and about a finger width head that ended up dissolving. Medium lacing.
S- HOLY SHIT!! A hop bomb explosion to say the least. right away you get super piney/floral notes followed by citrus.West coast style all the way.Just by smelling this you know you're getting a very fresh beer. I've never smelled a beer this fragrant.
M- a medium bodied brew, not too thick and not too thin. Just right for this type of beer.
O- a phenomenal beer. A true hop explosion. Long live the enjoy by series.

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a couple bombers of this gem from Carson Street Deli on the South Side of Pittsburgh. Specifically, this is the "9/13/13" edition. Poured the first one into a snifter. Don't judge me, but I drank the whole bottle myself. Good decision.

A: Pour resulted in a finger of an off-white head which faded within a couple minutes, kissing the glass with beautiful lacing. Heavens to Betsy, what a beautiful color this beer has. A brilliantly clear amber-orange that invites one to dive right in. Another beer that has a glow. As I drank, this beer continued to leave it's mark on the glass.

S: An incredibly floral beer with dominant pine aromas. Of course, in pure "West Coast-ian," Stone fashion, citrus also tickles the nose. As the beer warms, sweetness becomes more present. This is, undoubtedly, one of the better smelling beers I've enjoyed. I'd never leave a woman's side if she smelled like "Enjoy By."

T: Follows the nose wonderfully. Fresh hops right off the bat. Sweetness makes its presence known as I swallow. Another rush of hops at the end of the sip. Heavy pine in the after-taste mixed with citrus flavors, most notably, grapefruit. At 9.4%, this beer is sneaky. Alcohol is hidden well. Hardly any presence in the flavor other than it's warming presence down the throat. I just about cried when I came to the last sip of this beer.

M: This beer will not leave you alone as hop oils cover the palate. Carbonation is hardly noticeable giving this beer a great mouthfeel. Dangerously drinkable. I should know. I imbibed 22 oz. of it quite easily.

O: A brilliant beer from Stone... yet again. The freshness of this beer just made it that much more enjoyable. Maybe I'll be generous enough to share my second bottle with a friend. A very good friend. A thoroughbred hop-head.

I was so excited to see a local bottle shop, Vino Rosso in Idaho Falls got a keg of Enjoy by 9-13-13! They had it posted on a sandwich board out side the shop that said "Get it while you can!!!!". I was actually off the day I had it and was just swinging by the office to pick up my paycheck and take it to the bank,which is right by the bottle shop,how convenient! It was heaven in a glass!!! Nice and stinky,looked just perfect,color,carb,lacing... and it was a taste explosion. Hop bomb delight!!!! This is the first beer I have ever given a 5 to. I swore I didn't think there was a 5 out there,there is,this is it!!! Went back the next night with my built in designated driver(my wife) and enjoyed a few more! If this beer has and equal or one is ever brewed I hope the good lord sees it fit to have it find it's way to my lips...It is the holy grail of beers as far as I am concerned!!!

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Meet the new boss... 9.13.13

A: CLEAR! Must have been filtered, nice head which dissipates with not too much lacing (I reckon due to the strong hopping)

S: Wow. First IPA I've ever tried that made me think WEED more than Heady Topper. Outstanding

T: Again, incredible dank/citrus hops with minimal malt backing (just enough, thank you Stone for not being too sweet!), complex and I think I like this even better than Heady Topper which is the highest praise I can think of

M: Excellent, not too thick or sweet considering the ABV

O: Maybe the best IIPA on earth

3.87/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear pale orange colored with a low white head that leaves legs of lace rising up the dudes of the glass. Low aroma of honied mslt and orange rind. Rich flavor bursting with hop flavors - grapefruit, tangerine and orange rind pith. Subtle malt balance, but this is a showcase of hops. Mild bitterness, understated alcohol strength. Slightly slick mouthfeel. Overall a great beer.

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Consistently impressive west coast DIPA. Has that prototypical yellow-gold color I associate with wcipas. Nose is super piney with a hint of citrus. This is 7.4.14 and I think it's less citrusy than previous ones. Mouthfeel is light but creamy, yet it still carries a bite. Aftertaste is really dry. This is a liquid pine cone that nearly bites your face off.

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving: 12oz pour into snifter on tap at The Tap in Bloomington, IN
Served: 1 September 2013

ENJOY BY 09.13.13

Appearance: A magnificent light copper/amber color, crystal clear, with a small, half finger head clinging around the top of the snifter. Nice white head, minimal lacing.

Smell: Incredibly assertive hop smell- extremely clean and crisp piney and bitter citrus notes jump out at you, but don't overpower you. I could just sit and smell this one and be happy, but the smell makes the beer so much more tempting to sip...

Taste: Big hop presence in this one. Nice semi-sweet malt backbone really carries the flavor. The hops hit you up front, but really mellow out on the back. While some DIPAs tend to feel like they coat your tongue in bitter hoppiness, this one is different. The hoppiness is concentrated on the front portion of the tongue, and then the sweet maltiness really balances out the flavor profile after you swallow. The beer finishes an astonishing semi-dry, even with all the hops.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation for the style. I actually preferred this one more as the carbonation left the beer since it seemed to emphasize more of the malt backbone.

Overall: My 150th unique beer according to my personal list, and certainly one worthy of the milestone. This is an incredible beer, and I would highly recommend it if its distro'd out to your area. Would by again without thinking twice. ENJOY BY 09.13.13!

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 09.13.13. Sampled on September 1, 2013.

It pours a handsome looking golden amber with a lingering silky white head and great clarity.

The aroma is alive with floral and spruce hops as well as a biscuit note in the background. Clean scent.

The body is better than medium but not quite bold with a smooth coating feel on my tongue and back of my throat.

The taste begins slightly sweet and biscuit-like but it does not take long for the hops to attack the rear and take over everything. Over 9% ABV and the alcohol is well-integrated and not even noticeable. Moderate lingering finish.

I had this one back to back with the ever outstanding Alchemist Heady Topper and I actually liked this one better. Must be those west coast hops rather than Vermont hops.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Saw this at the local store and after reading some reviews decided to give it a try before the slightly obvious due date.(09/13/13)

Umm...well yaa its really really good!

After a fine pour into my farvret tulip it had a loverly orangish, copper glow with a b a utiful 2-3 fingers of foam on the top, which settle into a loverly lace along the sides.

Now a nice little twirl or two and a big sniff...oh yeah....big pine and maybe peach hit my nose with an allure of something that I like A LOT...big hops!!

OkAy, taste time...hits the tongue right away with a bitter hop bomb and just keeps going, maybe black chery with some sort of spicy citrus, can't put a name on it but whatever it is it is very good. They definately got it right. If you are a lover of the hops like me then you will love this one!

It feels perfect in the mouth, just the right bitterness with a bitter/sweet aftertaste that just keeps wanting to be tried again and again. and I will try again, my store had 4 left and I will be going back to buy the rest hopefully before someone else figures it out. keep it coming Stone, beer is good!

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.