Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,307 | Hads: 9,810
4.76/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Enjoy By 5/17, bottled on 4/12.

Fairly conventional-looking IPA at first, with a pale amber color and high clarity. A big, fluffy head forms, and the head retention is excellent. Pretty epic lace formation, too. Super-fresh aroma, with an awesome fruit presence through notes of tangerine, mango, and passion fruit. To a lesser extent, there's some grapefruit, and to an even lesser extent some grass and pine.

As expected, the flavor is immensely hop forward. While dry overall, there's just about the perfect amount of malt sweetness to stand up to the bitterness. Just a very slight flash of alcohol heat on the finish. Big grapefruit and resin presence. Oily and also a bit sticky on the palate, with the carbonation having a soft touch.

A truly outstanding DIPA, head and shoulders above Ruination. Stone reasserts their cred when it comes to IPAs.

4.31/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 05.17.13 -- Poured from a bomber into a sam adams perfect pint. Bottled on 4/12/13.

Pours a light gold, with hints of copper. Bone white head which goes away pretty quickly. A nice looking DIPA. Candied lemons, sour fruits, fresh grass, a little orange, and even some maltiness are all coming through on the nose. My nose was a little stuffed up while drinking this unfortunately so I wasn't getting as much aroma as I would have liked. Taste is very balanced for such a strong and fresh-hoppy DIPA. Really nice hop profile, lots of IBU's but it's balanced very nicely by a pretty solid malt backbone. The maltiness really compliments the hops and makes this beer more than just another extreme over the top hop bomb: the hop profile is pretty intense and great, but it's balanced nicely, which I like. The 9.4% alcohol is nowhere to be found in the aroma or the taste which is great but dangerous. I don't doubt I will be feeling that by the end of this bomber.

Overall an awesome beer. Super fresh and super delicious. My only "complaint" (not really a complaint just a comment) is that for a beer that advertises itself as super fresh and hoppy, it could be a bit more of a hop bomb. Compared to something like heady, the hop profile is not that insane. Still and amazing beer though.

4.97/5  rDev +13%

Gorgeous lemon-orange color brew with exceptional clarity and a few, tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Solid finger and a half of egg-white head retreats to a thin film which remains for the rest of the drink and leaves behind small spots on the glass.

Bright, brilliant, fresh and unparalleled aroma. Lemon and orange zest, grapefruit, pine needles, juicy mango, ripe tropical fruits, honey and fresh cut grass.

The flavor delivers what it promises. This is by far the freshest IPA I have ever tasted. I love how the malt character is subtle with white and rye bread tones. This allows the hop flavors to come through full force with lemon rind, grapefruit, pine, and mild detergent. Leaf, oil and resin bitterness battle against a midwestern IPA tropical sweetness of mangos and tangerines. Absolutely perfect balance for a beer of this strength and complexity.

Mouthfeel: again, flawless! Perfect medium body, lighter than most DIPA's and this adds to the flavor. Oily at first then dry from middle to end. Crisp, dry finish leaves your palate begging for more. Perfectly carbonated.

This is more than a beer; it is a work of art. Such aggressive flavors yet such perfect balance and light, crisp, refreshing feel. I could drink this all day if it wasn't 9.4% abv. I love the combination of Midwest and West coast hop flavors. I also love the fresh IPA concept and if the name hadn't caught my eye, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Well-done.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone's good, good for you, good to the last drop. I didn't realize but apparently the r Enjoy by series makes its varying appearance in different states at different times of the year, and that explains why it took a couple months for me to get my hands on one after the 12.21.12 which made its appearance at Beermageddon 2013.

To be honest I'm glad I didn't try it, not only would it have been old, but the 4.1.13 that I got a hold of was fantastic. I had mine in mid-march (sorry for the late review, but I'm getting the 5.18.13 Enjoy by via N'awlins soon so I wanted to compare my notes), and I felt like I should have worked up a good sweat before trying this thirst quenching IPA.

The appearance was a transparent amber haze, and the smell was pure hops- very forest like. The taste was good like I said refreshing, tingling the taste buds wanting more. The mouthfeel did have an odd but refining quality, but the after taste was lingering one that wouldn't go away even after popcorn. All and all, decent, get it if you can, I'd give it a 93/100

4.39/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 05.17.13 being enjoyed on 4/24/13. Poured from a bomber into a stemmed tulip.

Appearance: Pours a light amber/gold and leaves a pretty smell white head - less than one finger. Extremely transparent beer.

Smell: Very strong pine as well as some earthy notes and hints of citrus. Definitely on the stronger side for a DIPA.

Taste: Strong pine and other earthy notes, this one's all hops. Notes of citrus can be found as well as some tobacco, and light grassy flavors. Finishes with more bitter pine as well as some alcohol.

Mouth-feel: Low level of carbonation, light to medium body with a bit of a syrupy texture but pretty light.

Overall: A solid Double IPA, emphasis on the double. The hops explode with flavor and this is definitely not a session ale - this one packs a punch. For hop lovers, this is a must try.

4.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle. freshness is apparant with this one.

look is a light golden yellow-orange, clear, with a wonderful pillowey head. smell is piney, musty, "green" smelling, with a kick of citrus at the end. malt and grain taste musty, with a honey-like sweetness. hops are a little flat - crushingly bitter musty pine, with a lemon pledge kick.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WOW...this beer is really really FRESH! i have never tasted a cleaner, crisper, more pure beer in my 2 years of enjoying craft beers. this brew is extremely bright and clear with a rocky head that laces all the way down the glass. the aroma is off the charts fresh and pungent...it goes beyond citrus rinds and gets into the meat of the fruit. the scent seemingly filled the entire room.
the taste was absolutely stunning. the hops popped on the tongue with a freshness and fullness that i have not tasted before. i LOVED schlafly TIPA this past winter, and this brew reminded me of tipa on steroids...everything was amplified. so much fruitiness, so many hops, and so little booziness...this brew simply disappeared from the glass with absolutely no effort on my part. if you want to introduce a friend to the world of double ipas, this is your gateway...i loved drinking this brew.

p.s. i finished the 22 oz bottle in one night and found myself more than a little dizzy,,,checked the abv and it was 9.4% would have NEVER guessed it!!! this stuff is eerily easy to drink,

3.24/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with two fingers of dense white head. Good retention, decent lacing.

S: Intense and complex hoppiness in the aroma of this beer. I get strong citrus followed by pine, resin, and onion. A bit of caramel sweetness shows up, but this beer certainly does not smell sweet.

T: Caramel sweetness comes out much more in the flavor than the aroma. Resiny hops come out with a bit of onion. Bitterness is quite strong. Booze is surprisingly also quite strong.

M: On the thick side with adequate carbonation.

O: A very nice aroma, but the hop flavor is muddled and booze is quite strong for the style.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gotta love the concept of deliberately ensuring a DIPA be enjoyed fresh, and this freshness is devilishly evident. Poured from a bomber bottle of Enjoy By 5-17-13 into a tulip. Inviting amber appearance with a sizable white head. Big hoppy and citrusy aroma. Taste follows the nose and is hop forward, leaving a syrupy bitter resin stickiness lingering on the palate.

4.64/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

05.17.13 batch. Hot dang this is fresh (10 days old).

Picked up a few bottles, opened the first with a friend. Poured into a tulip. Pours an absolute crystal clear pale orange with a large rocky white head on top. Retained well and left bits of lace stuck to the glass. Huge amounts of citrus in the nose - pineapple, grapefruit, mango, honeysuckle. The aroma is so sweet and fresh. Wow. I'd love to scent my home with this.

Crisp, clean mouthfeel. Great carbonation really drives the flavor in this one. A wallop of fresh citrus washes over the palate. Grapefruit, passionfruit, orange - with a really sweet finish. Bitterness is there, but this is so fresh and flavorful, that the bitterness is tamed down in a way. This is dangerously drinkable. One of the best DIPAs I've had the pleasure of having. Keep sending these to NC!!

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

5.17.13 batch.

pour is a tangerine tinted gold. Nice a clear. Finger of white head fading quickly, but lots of lovely lacing.

Nose is everything I could ever want in a DIPA. Sticky, citrus sweetness with that lovely hint of pine. Really quite perfect.

Taste is just as incredible. Citrus forward, with grapefruit, mango, and honey with a lovely floral component. Follows by perfect hoppy bitterness, with lovely pine resin stank.

Mouth feel is pretty spot on, but just a tad thinner than I would want to go along with the flavors.

Awesome beer. So fresh and clean. If Stone keeps doing this, it's worth buying every time.

9.13.13 batch

So glad it's back in ct! Beautiful pour. Nose is soo insanely juicy. Mango. Tangerine. Cantaloupe. Flavor is super citrusy up front but bigger hop on the end. Seems a little more dry and less sticky than my last batch. Regardless, heavenly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Saw this and grabbed it immediately. Been a while since I've reviewed anything from Stone.

Pours a bright gold with a huge white head into my glass. It looks like it would tingle the taste buds and probably more.

Grassy and full of citrus notes from the hops. West coast! The only other thing I can think of that's hoppier than this is Heady.

Wow. Very pleasant and bursting with juicy hop goodness. Citrus, pine, etc. Mango? Either way, it doesn't disappoint in the hops dept.

Lingering grassy, citrus and pine flavors. Like freshly-mowed grass. Very fresh too. I assume it's the 2nd most recent batch (bottle says 4/12/13).

Stone should keep doing this with limited batches of beer. It might make more sense and cut back on the beer that lingers on shelves for months. They have the beer dating thing down pat and detailed info on the batches.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this rated close to a 5 until I tried the 12.26.14 version... really didn't hit the spot for me. Don't know why it wasn't so bright and vibrant like the other versions I've had. Maybe this was a fluke and didn't turn out the way they intended.

4.76/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 22oz bottle - bottled 4/12/13 - into a snifter a nice light golden color, which was somewhat translucent.

Aroma was an overpowering citrus- grapefruit especially, with some floral coming through as well.

Mouthefeel is a standard body and carbonation for a typical ale.

Taste is amazing - hops up front then a bit of sweetness, and similar to the aroma a big grapefruit element. The finish seems to be clean but then a nice bitter bite closes it out.

Overall this is a fantastic DIPA, prob in my top 5. I need to get my hands on another bottle this week if I can--absolutely a great fresh brew.

4.09/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a 05.17.13 bottle and drank it on 04.21.13. This beer is insanely hoppy. Nine different types of hops ( super galena extract, motueka, citra, cascade, simcoe, delta, amarillo, nelson sauvin, and galaxy) were used during the hop bursting and dry hopping process. Amazing bitterness and hop characteristics.

A - A light, golden ale with lots of carbonation. A decent 2 finger foamy head that dissipates quickly. Foamy coats the glass very nicely.

S - Lots of earthy, grass aromas next to some fruity citrus flavors. A little sweet, but mostly bitter wheat aromas.

T - Quite bitter, but what do you expect from such a fresh IPA? Some sweet undertones that hint at a very slightly burnt chocolate taste. Kind of strange coming from an IPA, but tastes great.

M - Very thin and lots of bubbles hitting the tongue. Coats the throat, but leaves a huge presence in the mouth after swallowing (that's what she said. Am I allowed to say that here?)

O - This beer laces the glass like no other. Very bitter, but not quite as hoppy as expected. It's bitterness is at 88 IBUs, which is pretty high, but I've definitely had bitter-er (is that a word?) beers. Overall a great IPA, but I feel a little disappointed considering the amount of effort it took to hunt it down (in Chicago, the place where rare beers can easily be found if you look in the right places). Either way, if I ever see it again, I'd pick it up, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find. Cheers.

4.16/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

(7th batch, consumed 1 of 3 bottles on 4/21/13)

A - Pours a creme white head, crystal clear florida orange body.
S - Deep grapefruit/tangerine
T - Pungent tropical fruit (mango, grapefruit, tangerine) up front with fresh pine end
M - Gorgeously silky, medium body

Serving type: Bottle to snifter

4.49/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tracked down a 05.17.13 version yesterday at the Happy Valley BevMo for $6.49.

Beer poured the clearest of light orange with a decent white head. The clarity is quite good.

Nose is primarily citrus.

Taste is fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with some mango. Finish leaves a lingering pine flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonated moderately.

Overall an excellent brew. This is very close to being right out of the tap the freshness is that good. A tough brew to track down but definitely worth chasing!

4.26/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Seventh Batch: 5/17/13

A - Light golden hue with a white head.

S - Rich floral and fruit scents, very pleasant.

T - Loads of fresh hop flavors that bite the tongue, hints of fruit.

M - Medium body and well carbonated. Somewhat dry, made me extra thirsty.

4.62/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Re-reviewing this yet again because now I am now drinking batch # 7 on 4/20/13. I figured since the hop is a cousin of the cannabis, a very fresh IPA was a very appropriate beer for me to enjoy on 4/20/13. Poured into my Stone Arrogant Bastard pint glass, this batch of this beer poured a clear medium golden color, certainly much clearer than the other 2 batches of this beer that I have had the pleasure to drink. Initially with lots of little bubbles rising up to the surface of the beer and a white head about an inch thick initially when poured that settled pretty quickly to a nice medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass along with some swirls of foam here and there covering the beer's surface. Decent lace, but I do also notice that the head retention and lace aren't as good with my serving of batch # 7 as they were with the other 2 batches of this beer that I've drank. Crisp aromas of piney and citrus hops and some nice floral notes as well. Has the nice aforementioned and very fresh piney and citrus resinous hops along with a nice slightly toasted caramel malt flavor. Also has hints of brown sugar, mango, and honey. Very nice and a bit of a different flavor profile from the other 2 batches of this beer that I drank. Has a somewhat crisp and smooth, chewy, somewhat oily, medium to full bodied mouth feel with moderate carbonation. This one really coats the inside of the mouth nicely and doesn't leave any time soon. Very drinkable for a 9.4% ABV beer. Excellent!

Below is my second review of this beer written on 4/13/2013 for batch # 5

ST bottle A-4 S-4.5 T-4.75 MF- 4.5 O-4.75

Re-reviewing this because I am drinking batch # 5. So, even though I did not enjoy this bottle of this batch of Enjoy By by the enjoy by date of 4/01/2013 and am drinking it 12 days late, I think I am still in for an awesome beer drinking experience here Poured out of a bomber into my snifter, this beer pours a clear, but slightly cloudy/hazy, deep medium golden color with a slight copper hue when held up to the light. has a white head about 1 1/4 inch thick when poured that settles fairly quickly to a nice thick white ring lining the inside of my glass with a nice big swirl of foam that covers most of the beer's surface. Decent lacing. Aromas of citrus grapefruit, apricot, earthy hop bitterness, perhaps a hint of pineapple, rounded out with some malty caramel sweetness. Flavors of citrus grapefruit and apricot, earthy hop bitterness, and the hint of pineapple that is all rounded with with some slightly toasted, biscuity caramel malt undertones. Has a very crisp, yet somehow still somewhat smooth and even slightly creamy, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Not the easiest beer to drink per say, but easy to drink in the way good beer ought to be!

Below is my initial review written on 10/31/2013 for batch # 2 of Enjoy By 11/09/12

ST: bottle A-4 S-4.5 T-4.5 MF-4.5 O-4.5

Poured into my tulip glass out of the bomber. This beer pours a fairly clear medium golden color with a white head that is about 2/3 inch thick when first poured. Surprisingly clear and light in color for a double IPA and for a beer from Stone. Head settles pretty quickly to a fairly thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with spotty little clusters of foam dotting the surface of the beer and a decent amount of lace lining the inside of the glass. I wish it had had better head retention. Aromas of potent piney, citrus, grapefruit hops along with touches of mango. Very nice! Has a nice citrus, piney, somewhat earthy hop bitterness upfront that gives way to some nice toasted caramel sweetness. Not as upfront with the hop bitterness as a lot of Stone's other beers are. This beer is incredibly smooth for a beer with 9.4 % ABV. Has a slightly crisp, smooth, and somewhat prickly, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Incredibly easy to drink for a 9.4% ABV beer. An excellent beer and I hope to somehow drink this again somehow!

4.16/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

batch 7 thanks to the Coppermine Pub

super nice and clean white head, sticky as hell bubbles cling like an ex, dark straw and crystal clear, just a trace of bubbles floating up, the head fades out pretty quickly, nothing much to look at...

hop cone. (period)
jeezus, pine sol bomb
flash bang of alpha almost to the point of acrid-ity, the malts exist but man are they fighting for air, you can also pick up a touch of the alcohol, really nice hop nose but sort of one note-ish

taste etc...
incredibly full mouthfeel, coats the tongue, all the mishaps in the nose are not problems here, this drinks really smooth but yet does remind you at the end that the ABV is right there, the bitterness is nice but not killing my taste buds, subtle carbonation with the weight really just makes this too damn silky, I really am reminded of when I first tried Ruination but this is much smoother but just as deadly, this really has a backbone to support the ABV and ridiculous use of hops, this keeps drawing you back in.

sometimes beers are reputations only, this shows some really nice maturity in craft, there is some ways to go to a perfect brew... but man alive just the drinking phase of this one is damn skippy.. meaning? don't pass this one up, stone could by all means just sit on their ass, but they don't, and I respect that. They keep coming up to bat.

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amazingly fresh, Stone Enjoy By 4-20-13 pours a beautiful honey-golden color with a touch of amber in there as well. An inch or so of white head caps the brew, and it slowly dissipates while leaving a ton of sticky lacing. Hops aromas burst from the glass. Citrus, pine resin, and freshly mowed grass provide a dominate hop presence in the nose, with just a touch of burnt toast providing any malty hints. Fruity citrus flavors, as well as caramel malt sweetness open up on the palate as floral hop flavors, and a bit of pine resin pull through the finish. The sweet malt flavors provide excellent balance. This amazingly fresh and tasty brew is medium in both body and carbonation. The next batch out is 5-17-13, get your hands on this amazing Imperial IPA!!

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Amazingly this showed up in my little rural burg. Thanks to Stone for throwing a bone to the little guys.
Batch #7
Really pleasant fresh hop aroma with no sense of any harshness at all. Reasonable complex hop character-sweet fresh fruit is most forward and quite nice.
Brilliantly clear and not very dark for style. Solid gold. Dense rather white head not quite making an inch on a full bottle pour.
A bit of excess shows in the flavor. Fortunately it mingles with other more pleasing flavors. Bitterness especially in the long finish. The complexity of the hop flavors a little harder to identify in the taste (little more of a mash of hop flavors , and while this is clearly a hop forward drink the pale malt foundation will be recognized.
Slightly lighter body than most in this style, but it's not an issue. Helps with drinkability. A nice smooth drink with carbonation that enhances the experience. Some warmth in the gut, but this drinks lighter than the alcohol would indicate.
This one, for me, is better than the sum of the parts. Not a "well blow me down" experience, but a very enjoyable beer. I really like the decreased intensity and it crosses into a complex big beer that drinks nicely.

4.98/5  rDev +13.2%

Enjoy By 09-13-13: My second tasting of this fantastic DIPA . Great hoppy, pine aroma, balance and you can truly taste the freshness. The alcohol is a bit high, but to me, the bottle is just the right amount for personal consumption. But, the price went up at our local wine store... I hope it's not going to get more expensive so I can hord a bunch of these without breaking my bank.

Enjoy By 05-17-13: What a nice IPA, crisp, perfect for a Spring day evening. Not technical, but just a note to say I enjoyed the beer. I'm surprised to find it in the local wine store, but they had a couple of cases that came in yesterday (unannounced, of course), so I grabbed a case and will finish it by the date. High ABV, so my score may be skewed.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is for the 05/17/13 edition.

Nose: Pine resin front and center is joined by a burnt resin streak, with everything else taking a distant backseat. The rest of the balance goes to hints of brown sugar, orange peel, and honey. Palate: No surprise that pine resin dominates the attack but is also joined by bitter citrus and a hint of malty sweetness. Malt and bread notes form the mid-palate. Pine resin and bitter grapefruit linger on the finish.

Some 30 minutes after the initial pour, the added warmth has given the nose some sticky sweetness. At the outset, this DIPA was quite jagged and the pine resin quite pronounced. With some warmth, sweetness is more evident and things are more balanced overall. This really is quite good.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Perfectly clear gold/amber with a foamy white head.

S: Cleanses-the-senses fresh - crisp, clean pine and sweet grapefruit. With a good swirl a pungent, musty pink grapefruit astringency arrises. There are some spicy floral notes

T: Incredibly drinkable . Crisp bitterness up front, in the middle of the mouth a tropical fruit burst, finishes dry. There is notable orange juice and mango that carries through as well as fresh pine.

P: Fits the other aspects of the beer perfectly. Outrageously drinkable

O: Another great batch - a fantastic beer

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.