Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,306 | Hads: 9,804
4.77/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is just fantastic. Props to stone for upping their game, yet again. On tap at rustico, best by 5-17. You MUST have this beer on tap, it excels over the bottle noticeably in that format.

Pours a pretty gold and slightly orange color, clear with a ring of head, very pretty.

The smell is just awesome, pungent dank hops soaked in a mix of pepper, honey and earth, very clear that this beer is all about highlighting the hops no question, very little malt. Outstanding. The taste follows suit and features a very plant based hop base which is just delicious. Maybe a touch of sweet to give a malt backbone but the stars are hop flavors: citrus, weed, pepper, earth, pungent hop nugget.

The feel is nice, great carbonation and a medium feel, a lasting aftertaste of bitter sweet dripping hops.

Overall, wow. An excellent beer, on par or better than their IPA specialty neighbors Alpine which is high praise. Well done Stone.

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed a 4.01.13 version. Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz. bomber.

A - Beautiful golden/light copper color, crystal clear, nice carbonation, decent head. Lots of lacing.

S - Best part! Very hoppy, grassy, some spice. Makes you want to drink slowly and savor every scent.

T - Hoppy and piny, some initial sweetness. Still developing my palate but as such I can still say this is one of the best-tasting IPAs I've had.

M - Not light but not terribly heavy. Smooth and highly drinkable.

Overall - Easily the best IPA I've had. Pick some up if you get a chance. The local liquor store limits these to 1 per customer due to scarcity--now I understand why.

4.76/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Enjoy by 4.01.13. Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Orange, honey-like color with a medium, 1-inch head. Not clear, but light.

N - Resiny, citrusy, grassy hops shine through the nose. Smells fresh, as advertised. Hints of grapefruit and a hoppy characteristic I've never smelled before--like a savory spice.

T: Very hop-forward, moderately bitter, with interesting hop complexity. Fresh-tasting citrus hops, resin, orange, grapefruit, grassy hops. Subdued malt, but good balance, given the hop profile.

M: High carbonation, may be a bit thin, and feels very dry (which is surprising, because it's almost 10% alcohol) and drinkable. Drinks easily and warms simultaneously.

O: Excellent beer. Dry, complex, hop-centric profile with excellent drinkability. One of Stone's best offerings. I sure hope they continue to make these for upcoming summer nights.

My first "Enjoy By" was the 04-01-13 brew out of a bomber. It was immediant love at first sip! Hop madness straight out the bottle! Poured a golden yellow imto a standard British pint glass. The bitterness of the hops was easily disguished by an amaziing smoothness and overall drinkability not found in average IPA's.

My second, the 08-02-13 edition, was enjoyed really fresh (brewed 06-28-13'- consumed 07-01/02-13) via a growler straight from the brewery! If you ever get a chance to visit, this is a mandatory stop...but I digress. The 08-02 poured same as the 04-01 and each glass was consistent throughout. This has to be one of Stone's best!!

Third: 09-13-13 edition, 22oz bomber, not as tasty as the "straight from the brewery" taste I enjoyed in August, but still an the best IPA I've had!

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 04.01.13

Poured into a pint glass out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a clear light gold with just a tiny white head that quickly fades to a thin cap. Just a few chunks of lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

The aroma has a very pungent, almost oniony thing going on combined with some pine sap and a touch of tropical fruit. No malt to speak of as it is all hops here and they prove to be very mouth watering.

Lots of orange and pine in the flavor with just a touch of butterscotch. More earth and sap coming in towards the middle along with some tartness. There is a brief sweetness that appears but is then quickly ushered away by an extreme drying bitterness. Mouthfeel is somewhat silky but then finishes very dry which is impressive for a beer of this strength. Alcohol is completely hidden making this dangerously drinkable.

Overall, another great IIPA from stone. I love the drinkablity and the unique hop combination of this brew and am really glad I picked it up.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

Very bright white head with a thick foamy texture. The color appears more golden with less orange hues typical for an IPA.

The scent is remarkably complex with floral and citrus hops blending well. Mango, tangerine, lemon, and orange play out of a sweet citrusy tone. Musky, pine and earthy scents mix in as well, in a strong aromatic display.

The taste is equally complex and strong but more dominated by the earthy, musky and even oniony hop characters. The citrus notes are near the front but its hard to discern the individual tastes. The floral, piney tastes than dominate and finish. No alcohol taste is present but a great warmth spreads through the chest.

I can appreciate this for all the character it possesses even if it is not necessarily my cup of beer.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

Re-review of newer batches. The 7/4 Enjoy By made me realize that I have this one way underrated. It's got the perfect blend of bitterness and hop flavor for my palate. As such, I now hunt this down every time it shows up in MD.

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison.

S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it's not quite to my preference for an IPA.

T: At first, there's some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it's some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there's a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn't strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it's not all bad, I guess.

I've got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown.

M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not 'as fuck', but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I'm reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable.

O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let's not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn't love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13

A – The beer pours an incredibly clear and filtered golden orange, almost the like the color of Honey. A foamy two finger head formed as I poured it into my crate and barrel snifter. The head seemed to stick around for some time eventually receding leaving behind some serious lacing.

S – The aroma of this batch is less pungent than I remember from previous examples of the beer, but it still is very citrus forward, with tones of lemon zest, fresh squeezed orange juice and the traditional pineapple an mango hints. There is a strong hop presence with this beer, as its fairly piney and resiny.

T – Huge, bitter resinous hop flavors dominate the front of the beer, followed by the citrusy components I detected in the aroma. Although delicious, this is a very bitter beer, unlike Sucks or Heady which are very tropical and citrus forward. That’s not a negative nock against the beer, just an observation. The taste finishes of very dry with slight bready malt flavors.

M – Fairly light mouth. Fairly astringent (not in a bad way) with a nice dry finish. The high abv is undetectable as I feel little to no heat from the beer.

O – This is not the first Enjoy By I’ve had as its come around my area twice now. I regret not reviewing it the first time as I thought that batch was significantly better. Part of me is really disappointed by the inconsistency I perceive from batch to batch, but the other part of me is loving the brilliance and the quality of this beer. The idea of dating the beers like this is brilliant and I will continue to buy them every chance get because I will always know how old they are without digging for the date. Well done Stone!

4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A: It pours a golden orange, initially a two finger head that receded to a skim. Lots of lacing sticking to the glass and some alcohol legs.

S: Very dank, there's a lot of resinous pine hop aromas maybe some grapefruit. As it warms, the sweeter tropical hops come through, and I'm also getting some mild cat piss/garlic which sounds weird, but it blends nicely with the sweeter hops aroma. Not a lot of alcohol, maybe a light whiff.

T: Follows the nose almost exactly. Hops are earthy and very resinous with pine, grapefruit and more of that onion and garlic thing. There's also some tropical fruit hops flavors that blend with the resinous hops. The beer is pretty bitter and the flavor leaves a resinous lingering bitterness.

M: Medium, slighlty sticky feel especially as it warms up.

O: This one got much better as it warmed up and more flavors started to pull through. I was however slightly let down by this one especially with all the hype around it. I thought it was an excellent beer, but (and I hate to make comparisons) I prefer a DIPA like Sucks for the immense drinability and tropical flavors to the more resinous/dank that Enjoy By has. That being said, brilliant idea by Stone.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: pretty standard, clear and crisp looking.

S: not sure what it is, but it seems to smell better with every drink...hoppy and fruity at the same time. This is how I want an IPA to smell.

T: just like the smell...hoppy hit with a nice fruitiness to it. The aftertaste stays with you for while...finishes strong. Sooo easy to drink.

M: smooth aind just the right amount of carbonation.

O: very nice IPA...I will enjoy by 4-1.13 as often as I can.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - This DIPA is on the lighter end of the color spectrum. It is a light amber that could pass for a golden color. It is topped off with an inch of off-white head.

S - There's a lot going on here. I get an initially smell of some skunk weed and metal. Then I get some citrus, and after that the tropical fruits come into play.

T - Pretty much everything that I described in the smell is going on in the taste; however, in a different order. It starts out with the citrus and tropical fruits. Then gives way to the skunk weed and iron taste on the finish.

M - It is really smooth with lower carbonation than expected.

O - I had this on tap and noticed a lot more grapefruit. The bottle seems to have more bitterness, especially on the finish. It has a lot of flavor and is good, but not necessarily my favorite of all time.

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

04.01.13 batch on tap at Closed for Business poured into a pint glass at slightly warmer than fridge temperature.

L – Pale amber color with a 1-finger frothy, cream-colored head. Pretty good retention and some nice patchy lacing. Clear with a good amount of bubbles.

S – Tons of west coast hops with grapefruit, peach, mango, and pine notes. There may be a touch of bready and caramel malt, but the hops take front and center for sure.

T – Just like the nose suggests, this is a wonderfully hoppy beer. The taste starts off sweet for a split second with bready and caramel malt flavors before a sweeping wave of bitterness comes through. The hop profile includes grapefruit, orange, mango, and peach flavors at first, and a great resinous, piney taste appears at the very finish.

F – Medium-bodied with pretty good carbonation, a chewy and sticky mouthfeel, and a very bitter finish. Grapefruit and pine hop bitterness lingers wonderfully.

O – This is an awesome DIPA from Stone. It is not only delicious, but is also dangerously drinkable given the ABV. I’m so glad I finally got to try a beer from this series. It was worth the wait.

original tasting from 2012, will update for each batch from here on out...

4/20/15: bottle says "devastatingly DANK". light in color. head dissipates quickly. the typical pine on the nose. nice maltiness, not a ton of pine in flavor. sweetness gives way to very little on the end. not much bitterness.

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at 2 Bros in Salem Ct. Enjoy by 4-01-13. Pours a murky burnt orange color with a half inch of head. Tons of lacing. Aroma is hoppy with some sweet citrus and tropical fruits. The taste is more of the same sweet citrus and tropical fruits but some pine as well. Good amount of bitterness. Some malt flavor but this one if hop forward for sure. Creamy ,heavy mouthfeel. A bit reminiscent of Ruination. Overall, this is a damn fine Imperial with that typical Stone taste. Glad I got a chance to try it.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: clear, perfectly golden beer with a few bubbles streaming from the bottom; fat, double-finger head of off-white ivory foam with good retention that leaves ample lacing down the glass

S: sweet pale malt aromas underscore a sea of hops - woodsy, bitter pine, and bright, zesty citrus being most prominent atop some dank undertones

T: crisp hops up front and throughout - orange and grapefruit pith and flesh; sharp pine - bitter and bold, with a wet, husky, dankness; balanced by juicy, succulent and hearty malts, bringing wet flavors touched by sweet, fresh caramel

M: medium-weight, bittering and crisp, smooth and slick, brisk carbonation, just a touch of stick on the resinous finish

O: Enjoy By is true reason to rejoice. So glad some of these find their way out to my area - a truly triumphant DIPA - a must-have for all craft beer lovers; I can't imagine anyone passing this up while its around. Great drinking. Continuously enjoyed...

By 07.04.15
By 04.01.13

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- golden to amber...
S- super concentrated, layered hop explosion... loads of citrus and tropicality with some of the earthy esters of pine cone, and forest as well
T- a bit alcoholic, bursting pine and lemon pith, fruity notes of ripe pineapple, bubblegummy cherry and berry notes, slight savory notes of dank cheese and garlic
M-Little hot, but super complex and full on the palate
O- Will wait until closer to the enjoy by date for the next one feel like the beer was perhaps still a little disjointed would love to get a rounder feel from the malt bill which felt a bit obtuse and not yet fully settled in the bottle (is bottle shock possible in beer like wine- this is what i feel may have been going on here). Very Good, about on par with a Green Flash Imperial...

4.05/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 oz 02.14.14 bottle shared between three people in three wine glasses. Happy to see this in Michigan on the (relative) cheap, $7.99/bomber. I'm much more willing to buy this at a reasonable price in MI than I am at $10 in NY.

A - almost transparent, extremely translucent, beautiful oranges and yellows, one of the clearest IPAs I've ever poured. Very little foam on the forced pour. No carbonation bubbles, despite the lacing that gets left up the side on every swirl.

S - huge citrus on the nose, lots of orange, some fruits that balance between acidity and sugar, pineapple coupled by grapefruit, kiwi/mango coupled with some earthier greens, arugula, swiss chard, and butter lettuce. There's something a little fishy here too, an empty, lager-like sweetness; isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't last. The lasting impression is rubbery.

T - sweeter than expected, cloying honey and sugary tones, with only a hint of the fruity hops that back them. The sweet ephemeral fruit notes of pineapples, kiwi, and orange give way to some emptiness that isn't especially pleasant. Big and boozy.

M - there isn't a ton of balance. There's a lot of booze and a lot of sugar that fight each other the entire time. The alcohol is relatively hidden, but not entirely absent. Enjoy By coats the tongue.

O - I love the gimmick, I think it's got a good message. Some of the fruitier tones are somewhat diminished by the rubbery tones. I like the strong booze presence, but it doesn't benefit the taste in any significant way. Enjoy By is good, definitely worth <$8 /bomber, but not any more than that.

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - A truly beautiful beer. Ever so slightly hazy to let you know that this is indeed filled with hop resin. Golden honey colored. Poured into a tulip glass with about a 1 finger head, doesn't stick around for too long but leaves great lacing.

S - Zesty citrus notes up front...lemon peel, over-ripe orange, maybe a little pineapple. Followed up with a nose clearing piney/resinous note. As the beer warms you get a bit of the alcohol. Smell is not as in your face as I would expect.

T - Taste comes in almost the reverse order of the nose...strong pine notes up front with a slight alcohol note. By no means a burn but you notice the 9.4%. The beer finishes with the citrus notes mentioned in the smell and a slight sweet bready maltiness.

M - Very light for the style. Often IIPA in the 9+% abv range become fairly viscous; not the case here.

O - Great IIPA, one of my favorites. Love the concept of "Enjoy By"

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler to a tulip glass

A- crystal clear golden amber, with a 2 finger pillow head, decent lacing

S- pine, grapefruit, lemon, skunky weed, very dank

T- sharp lemon, grapefruit peel, massive fresh citrus, alcohol, and more bitter grapefruit on the finish.

M- Medium bodied, low carbonation, extremely bitter, very dry

O- lived up to the hype, just an incredible hop monster of a beer with still enough malt to make for a great body of beer, just amazing, a testament to what fresh IPA's ought to be.

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fifth batch, 4.01.13. Had on 3-7-13 Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A - pours a nice golden, amber with a fingers worth of head on it.

S - hoppy smell right off the bat. Piney dankness with sweet notes of grapefruit.

T - there is a lot going on in the taste of this beer, all good. Right up front there's a sweet yet sharp tartness to it. Notes of mango, bitterness, grapefruit with a little booziness to it but not strong and overpowering as with most Stone beers. Very easy to drink with a dry, bitter finish.

O - I've never been a huge fan of Stone's stuff because the taste of the majority of their beers are very overpowering to the point where I can't drink it comfortably. This one, however, is completely different. Very easy to drink yet still maintaining that strengthness thats become a hallmark of Stone. A complex mixture of flavors going back and forth with each sip. Excellent beer and very well balanced. I really love this beer. I had it on tap in Waterbury, VT and it was just as delicious and refreshing as the bottle. Complete success with this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fifth batch, 4.1.13. Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a bright, vibrant, golden-orange coloring with a slow, steady flow of carbonation bubbles and a thin, filmy, bright white head that recedes into a surface coat that clings to everything it touches. Aromas of resiny and piney hops fill your nose on every sniff. Tropical fruit and grapefruit sweet and tart ribbon through the aromas, also. Smells green and tasty. Flavors are amazingly balanced. Green, resiny, hoppy punch initially, with a dose of bitterness that quickly washes into a tropical fruit blend of mango and grapefruit. Resiny and bitter at the end of the palate, with a slightly roasty and tangy sweet caramel backbone coming through. Hoppy and peppery spiced aftertaste, with a bitter feel that leads to the clean, dry finish. Smooth and clean in mouth. This beer is tremendous.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 4.1.13 on 3/7/13

A - Golden/Bronze/Copper/Orange hue. Mild carbonation coming from the bottom of the class with no head to speak of. Lots of lacing and some alcohol legs.

S - Hits right up front and hits hard! As soon as you open the bomber, immediate citrus, pine and a slight astringency. Very power typical IPA smell.

T - More big citrus notes up front. Some pine and a very mild malt background. Not really balanced, but it works very nicely for a DIPA.

M - Par for the course with what I expect from a quality DIPA by Stone. Nothing that screams amazing, but certainly not bad. Drinks very nicely for 9.4% abv.

O - A great DIPA by stone. Better than 10th anni Ruination? Not a chance. A very good beer none the less. Also, a very cool concept for beers that need to be consumed fresh. If it ever stayed on the shelves long enough, it would drive stores to dispose of old IPAs

4.16/5  rDev -5.5%

Split a bottle of the 4-1-13 batch.

This poured out as a clear yellow color with a white head on top. The retention was good as well as the lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is loaded with fresh hop aromas, big floral and citrus notes with a subtle malt sweetness in there as well. The taste of the beer is very good as well. The malt balances the bitter hops quite well giving this more of a sessionable flavor in my opinion. The mouthfeel of the beer is smooth with a bit of oiliness to it. Overall I wasn't thinking this was an Imperial IPA, I was thinking it was just an amped up standard IPA. All in all it's a good brew and I'm glad to have tried it. Worth checking out if you want a quality brew.

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4/1/13 batch

A: pours a crystal clear amber with a good amount of carbonation 2 fingers of a bright whit head good retention and lacing with a slight showing of alcohol legs

S: lots of dank resin on the nose hints of earthy pine and citrus very complex nose

T: bitter up front hints of grapefruit and pine good malt backbone lingers in on the backend with some hop astringency

M: well carbonated full bodied which,lingers fora good amount of time

O: great double ipa not as dry as I would like to see an ipa but none the less excellent overall and anyone hat is an ipa fan should get it if they can

Ok people.. I'm not a huge IPA guy... I keep saying that.. but more and more I'm starting to enjoy IPA's...

Anyway... I tend to like double IPAs more than singles.

This one is GREAT!!!

The smell is pure citrus awesomeness... and it is one of the clearest beers I have ever seen.. pretty amazing.

The hops bitterness is there at the end, but it is smooth bitterness if that makes sense.. and so much lovely grapefruit.. man I love this beer. I'm going to go buy another one tomorrow... period.

This is just a great beer and anytime it hits Texas from now on, I am all in.... drinking it fresh and drinking it often when I can.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.