Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,425 | Reviews: 1,438

Had the 5-17-13 variety at Churchkey

A: poured a beautiful golden bronze with a large white fluffy head

S: this was one of the best smelling IPAs I have smelled. Great tropical citrus fruits and this undertone of a dank cellar aroma. Exceptional

T: matched the wonderful aroma perfectly. Just really fresh tropical citrus west coast IPA goodness. Also tasted a bit of that danky cellar on the back of the tongue

M: medium body crisp

O: this was really one of the best I have had in quite a while. Really great beer from Stone and I am glad I finally got to try it. Seek it out if you can!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a clear orange with two fingers of soft fluffy white head. Head dissipates to a film of foam on the surface after a few minutes, leaving a lot of sticky lacing. Some carbonation visible, rising quickly, and allows for two fingers of head to be swirled up easily.

Nose is grapefruit, orange, papaya, dank herbal hops and some bright fresh pine. Really fragrant and fresh smelling. Unlike a lot of Stone IPA's, I don't notice much malt in the nose, which I think is a good thing as the hops really explode out of this one.

Tropical fruits hit the tongue, mango and papaya, citrus in orange and grapefruit, then a lightly bitter hit of dank herbal and pine hop flavors. Just a touch of biscuit and caramel malt sweetness, but not as heavy handed as Stone's other IPA's. Finish is dry with long lingering sweeter tropical and citrus hop flavors and only moderately bitter. Really delicious beer.

Considering this is 9.4% abv, the light to medium body and clean carbonation is really surprising. Alcohol is completely hidden, with your taste buds getting all of the nice hop flavors. Really happy to have a had a chance to grab a bottle of this to get sent up here to Northern California and hoping the next batch will officially get sent here.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 4/1/13 enjoyed on tap the Old Toad in Rochester, NY, about 3 weeks before the enjoy by cutoff. Served in a snifter.

Pours like a great IPA should- a honey-colored hazy orange. One inch head off-white head, significant sticky lacing all the way down the glass.

The smell and tastes are relatively the same here- juicy, succulent fruit flavors intermixed with dank, herbal hop tones. Some piney bitterness doesn't overtake the tropical and citrus tones given off by the heavy-handed use of hops. Fruits noticed include grapefruit, orange, and pineapple. Very bright flavors.

Medium bodied, very dry, well carbonated.

Stone's best hoppy beer, in my opinion.

2.14.15

Aroma is an intense mixture of dankness and tropical fruits. Pineapple, mangos, apricots, peaches. Dank stinging bitterness to the nostrils, onion, a slight piney aroma in there as well.

Sweet crackery malts, bright tropical fruits, slight citrus orange, piney resin, onion, dank. Its got it all!

Fantastic brew! Top of the line in terms of Double IPAs i have had.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I had a batch with the sell by date of 7/4/14, and consumed on June 22. Growler from keg at local beer-specific retailer. Good dense gold color, a little hazy, but normal for a DIPA. Good healthy one finger head which left slowly. Aroma is almost pure hops, with a backing of malty sweetness. A bit grassy in its hoppiness, along with pine, grapefruit, and tropical fruit. Taste is wonderful, full in your face hoppy bitter resinousness, backed by enough sweet malt to make it really drinkable. Again, a bit of green freshness in the hops, I'd compare it most to nopalitos or green agave, which accents the pine and grapefruit excellently. Finishes dry, hoppy, and leaving you wanting more. Great beer. My first in this series, but definitely not my last.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glad I stopped into my bottle shop today and found out about this one. I'm on the final few sips and I hope there is more at my shop tomorrow. I'm not an expert reviewer nor very familiar with DIPA. This is probably my 9th or 10th. I'm not really a big IPA fan...But this DIPA does the trick. Minimal malts, beautiful citrus, floral, and slight tropical fruit from the hops, and a bit of heat coming in but slapped around by the hops. My favorite DIPA and probably Top Five (of 400+) in my young beer drinking career.

Get it while it's fresh! Thanks Stone!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

clean golden yellow pour with 2 fingers of head (great retention).
smells of fresh grassy/floral hops, pine, grapefruit, honey.
very sweet taste up front with a spicy hop character, honey like sweetness as a backdrop with a grapefruit citrus taste. earth notes of pine and i honestly am getting a sweet honey overload on this beer - it's delicious.
medium body, nicely carbonated - creamy on the lips, alcohol warmth with a spicy bite.

this is a fantastic ipa by stone. this, along with ruination 10 are their 2 top ipa's in my opinion. fascinating that they werre released pretty much back to back... puts the 16th ipa to shame.

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%

Just opened a bottle of 09.13.13 and this is one of the best beers I've ever had. It tastes like I got it straight from the brewery. Smooth, hoppy without being over-bearing and a finish as smooth as silk. It's everything that I wish Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA would have been without the mouth-destroying feel.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle from Ned's. Enjoy by 02/15/13. Bottled 1/11/13.

Appearance: Beautiful clear golden orange with foamy off white head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Ridiculous amounts of citrus and tropical fruit hops and a big whiff of dank. A touch of sweet pale malt aroma. Just fantastic.

Taste: A literal explosion of hops. Well, a figurative explosion. Grapefruit, orange, apricot, peach, pine, and sticky bud resin. Its all hops, but not all bitter. There's some balancing sweetness. Clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Avoids the overly full feel of many DIPAs. Carbonation gives a lively feel. Very dry on the end (the slightest bit too dry) with residual sticky hops resin.

Overall: I knew this would be good, but damn, its amazing. Have to go stock up on some more of these.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden orange yellow with light sticky lacing that hangs around for a while.

Dank piney and citrusy hops are quite abundant, the hop resin sticks in the nose and slight caramel to note as well.

Pineapple, orange, mango, cantaloupe and an array of other tropical flavors explode over a muted caramel malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is thick and sticky with plenty of hop bite for any hop fiend to enjoy.

Overall, one of Stone's best and a favorite of mine.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

9/13/13

Bought at Stone Brewing in a 2 liter growler. Pours a clear golden color with white head that leaves a good amount of lacing. Aroma is tropical fruit, citrus, and a bit of pine. Taste follows the nose for the most part with an intense bite at the end. The bitterness is covered up well by the flavor. Mouthfeel is near perfect. Just the right amount of carbonation and light and crisp. This is definitely one of my favorite brews, and one of the best Stone makes.

4/20/14

A lot more citrusy and bitter than I remember. A tiny bit of caramelized onions in the nose as well and even less in taste. The alcohol is covered up unbelievably well and there's almost no sweetness from the malts which is pretty rare in a DIPA.

10/31/14

I don't know if my palate has evolved, but I'm getting a way cleaner bitterness with a lot more mango than before. Not as citrusy as I remember. Very dank. Piney. Very juicy.

Enjoy by 04.01.13 bottle

Had the second batch and forgot to review, so I'm glad it's back in Ohio. Poured into tulip.

A- pours clear golden with a single finger white head, only small amount of lacing
S- amazing, floral, piney, tropical fruits, slightly bready
T/M- follows the nose. Tropical fruits, floral hops, lemony zest, woody pine, faint honey, little to no malt, must crisp smooth hops. Texture isn't too thick, isn't too thin, its just right. Did I say it's smooth?
O- damn this is good stuff, it's very drinkable for the style, not syrupy, not bitter, just refreshing. I hesitate opening beers so its nice to have one that demands I pop it open. If you're lucky enough to get one, buy as many as you can.... And then plaster it all over social media.

4.69/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Enjoy by 04.20.14

Appearance: It has a nice semi-hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice thick off-white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of citrus, pineapple, grapefruit and plenty of pine resins. Total hop bomb!

Taste: Like the aromas, it has loads of tropical fruit (citrus, pineapple, mango and grapefruit), a nice resiny pine bitterness, light floral notes and some bready malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with an outstanding overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

10 day old bottle into an unbranded Rastal Luttich.

Golden clear pour with good carbonation.

Smells are salty spicy dank hops. Damnit, I need to start homebrewing if this is what fresh hops can smell like in the glass. Love it. I don't know if Nelson Sauvin is here, but it sure smells like it.

T: Thankfully, follows the nose. Salty and earthy hops coat the tongue, spicy vibe too. Continues that N. Sauvin theme. A bit of garlic/onion, but in the back and it works with the other flavors. some typical pine/citrus as well.

M: Pretty clean overall. If this could be resined-up and and stickified I would be even happier.

O: Top shelf. Will be buying again. Hit me in all the right spots.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Super clear pale orange, great head retention with plenty of laceing
Smell- Huge hop blast before you even get your nose to the glass, the smell is incredible, huge cascade citrus, a little pine, somewhat candylike sweetness. not malty at all
Taste- amazing dry hop flavor up front, very citrusy and fruity, a pleasantly strong bitterness that is very intense but not crushing, malt is pretty laid back and does just enough to support the hops with a pleasant grainy flavor. warming alcohol comes through in the end.
mouthfeel- good carbonation
Overall- This beer is incredible, it drinks as easy as a single ipa, but packs a hop punch that is amazingly intense and yet not too bitter.

4.69/5  rDev +5.9%

Bomber poured into a tulip
Enjoy by 12-21-12
Enojyed on 11-28-12

A- Pours cristal clear golden orange/yellow. A one finger of a white head. Slight alcohol legs.

S- Holy hops! A massive citrus. Pineapple and lime and pinecone like you cant believe. All extenuated by a slightly sweet malt backbone.

T- A sharp bitterness up front that fades quickly to a semisweet malt backbone. Hop flavors take over and dominate the beer. A ton of citrus notes, Pineapple, lemon, lime, grapefruit, papaya. A strong pinecone flavor. Not much of a malt backbone, this beer is hop forward obviously. Although this beer isn't thick or bold flavored, the alcohol presence is hidden quite well.

M- A lighter body for 9.4. Not as bitter as other stone IPA's. Easy drinking and slightly warming.

O- This beer is genius! It shows off the potential of fresh beers. A unique flavor, especially unique to bottles. Get some!

4.69/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- poured a very light orange - practically see through,and about a finger width head that ended up dissolving. Medium lacing.
S- HOLY SHIT!! A hop bomb explosion to say the least. right away you get super piney/floral notes followed by citrus.West coast style all the way.Just by smelling this you know you're getting a very fresh beer. I've never smelled a beer this fragrant.
M- a medium bodied brew, not too thick and not too thin. Just right for this type of beer.
O- a phenomenal beer. A true hop explosion. Long live the enjoy by series.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber. Enjoy by 12/26/14 batch. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow with slight haze and 1 finger of head

Smell: Fruity hops

Taste: Very pungent and can only be simply described as dank, a lot of resin and grapefruit notes with pine and citrus, and frankly hoppy as hell

Mouthfeel: Medium and just right, the dry finish just begs for another sip

Overall: A fantastic beer. I don't care what people say of the hype or marketing, I commend Stone for enjoy by and the fact that I received this beer within a week of it being bottled in San Diego and I live in Louisiana currently just makes me a happy customer. Such a great, fresh double IPA.

Meet the new boss... 9.13.13

A: CLEAR! Must have been filtered, nice head which dissipates with not too much lacing (I reckon due to the strong hopping)

S: Wow. First IPA I've ever tried that made me think WEED more than Heady Topper. Outstanding

T: Again, incredible dank/citrus hops with minimal malt backing (just enough, thank you Stone for not being too sweet!), complex and I think I like this even better than Heady Topper which is the highest praise I can think of

M: Excellent, not too thick or sweet considering the ABV

O: Maybe the best IIPA on earth

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into Dogfish spiegelau glass. Enjoy by 4/20/14 - Best Day Ever!

Appearence is a great transparent honey color. Aroma is one of the best DIPA smells around. Great balance of citrus , sweetness - maybe honey, slight pine and floral features. Taste is incredible and follows the nose. This release tastes even better than I remeber the last one being. Buy them all!!

Update - Enjoy by 7/04/14

Super floral - even more so than the 4/20 release. Still delicious, but a little dryer than I remember.

4.69/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Yellow-orange. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Pine, citrus, and something very unique most likely from the Nelson Sauvin hops I know they used to dry hop this. This is probably the best beer I have smelled.

T - It has all the hop taste you would expect from Stone and doesn't taste anywhere near 9.4%, but it doesn't match up to the smell. I homebrew and I've used Nelson Sauvin. When I first smelled it I thought it was going to be the best hop ever, but I personally like the taste of Citra and Centennial better. In fact, I just had to drop the taste rating down a little (9-4-13) because that Nelson Sauvin aftertaste comes out even more when it isn't dead fresh, no wonder they put it right on the label to enjoy by a month after bottling. At this point, I'd probably rather have a Ruination.

M - Smooth and dry, almost too dry, and I like dry beers. Again, I can't believe this is a 9.4% beer.

O - This is the big dog and of course I'm drinking the 09.09.13 iteration as I write this review.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly hazy golden color with 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention is good. Lacing is quite good. Deep fresh, citrus aroma. Very appealing. Nice hop forward bitterness, piney, with a slight citrus maltiness and great fresh, bitter, resin aftertaste. Slightly soapy and astringent. Very good and fresh beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 4.20.13 opened a few days ago.

A: Holy shit. The first thing I noticed was the clarity of this beer! It looks like a macro lager! A deep golden color with a solid white head. This beer could be used in billboards. This is what perfect IPAs look like in my head.
S: A blend of tropical fruits and pine resin. Fresh mango, peach, pineapple. Lots of citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon). *Smelled very boozy towards the end. That was my fault though, I got distracted for a bit and let it warm up more than I wanted. Still great though.
T: Huge hop bite! Citrus and pine flavors blend together perfectly. Some nice toasted malts to hold up those hops. Ends with a resinous bitterness that doesn't linger too long, just right. Alcohol is very well hidden.
M: Light/medium bodied. Nice, medium carbonation. Great for the style.
O: A relatively easy to find, widely distributed IIPA that happens to be one of the best I've tried? Yes that sounds like a winner to me.

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer pours a clean, golden color with a thick, modest-in-size head. A steady stream of carbonation is visible pouring from the bottom of my tulip glass. Pretty standard for a DIPA... nothing to hint at any distinctive qualities.

The smell is where this beer starts to get interesting: awesomely complex for an IPA. Usually, even in "sweeter" IPAs, the hops really dominate the smell but in Stone's Enjoy By, there is a wonderful mix of citrus flavors fused with the Hops. Scent is thick; I can tell that this is going to be an intense beer flavor-wise. Easily one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

The taste is complex. Right off the bat I get fruity notes; first sweet... some lemon, mango mix then bitter fruits... BIG grapefruit taste accompanied by orange rind. It is on the back end of the sip that you get hit by the hop flavor. While this doesn't pack the hop punch of Ruination (also by Stone), the sheer amount of juiciness and flavor in this beer MORE than makes up for the decreased bitterness (which I happen to love).

This beer continues to stand out in the mouthfeel. The thickness; dare I say "chewiness" reminds me of something like Founder's Double Trouble (to be reviewed in the near future) and that is a very, very good thing. Great fullness in the body of this beer which compliments the fruitiness that is on showcase. Maybe not the most drinkable beer in the world but beers this flavorful rarely are. A good amount of carbonation rounds this beer out.

For $6.99, I thought this was a great deal but maybe that was in light of my [unfortunate] trend towards buying more expensive bottles of beer lately. Bottom line, was easily one of the best beers I've ever tried and possibly my favorite.

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional IPA. Great aroma. Full of flavor from start to finish. Highly recommended. Great beer from stone.
Enjoy by 4-20-15

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.