Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,254 | Hads: 9,546
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: A beautiful golden orange color with a thin white head. A very refreshing look to it in which I couldn't wait to dive in. Didn't appear too heavy on the carbonation but it made it's presence known.

Smell: Strong citrus hops notes of grapefruit, possibly a slight pineapple smell to it. Very pleasant.

Taste: First sip hits the palette with the taste of citrus...heavy grape fruit barely noticing the alcohol. Finishes smooth and clean on the tongue making me anticipate my next sip.

Mouthfeel: Hop oils sit on the tongue leaving a nice aftertaste that hides the alcohol. It really seemed more like a mid range ipa as far as alcohol and not on the level it contains.

Overall: I'm a big fan of Stone and this is by far my favorite brew of theirs right next to the Imperial Russian Stout. Very pleased.

Serving type: Bottle to pint glass. (854 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Uncle Barry’s bar in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

A – Poured a light honey/golden wheat color with a one finger head that left little lacing.

S – Big grapefruit aroma up front. Faded a bit as the beer warmed.

T – Not as great as I was hoping. A touch oily but masked by the tropical notes. Of course the west coast hops are ever present as expected.

M - Mouth feel is good for a DIPA. The alcohol is remarkably hidden as I didn't realize it was 9.40% until I looked it up.

O - I was happy I was finally was able to catch this limited release on tap. The nose was the star of the show. This beer is incredibly fresh, another winner from Stone.

As an edit I had the 12.26.14. The nose was extremely oniony which was a big time turn off. Couldn't get past that. It was fresh but I wouldn't give it a 99. Maybe a b*. What happened? (856 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Living by one of Stone's tap houses makes for very fresh Stone. The pour was crystal clear with a nice 1 inch head. Lacing was awesome as it stuck to the beer glass all the way down. Has a distinct piney flavor and scent. Overall an excellent brew, I drink it every time it's available. (286 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle date enjoy 7.04. I have to say I always look forward to these offerings because they are different everytime and I am rarely disappointed.

A: nice resinated foam legs for days. Otherwise a clear amber gold much like the insect from Jurassic park. Good retention in carbonation.

S: peaches galore much different this time around. No spiciness which is good and bad depending what you are into. Nice citrus profile. I want this in an air freshener.

T: Once again those peaches with lingering pineapple at the end. Almost tart. This enjoy by is much different than the others. Oddly remind me of Le terrior in a good way. Nice woody character. Resinated finish without powerful hop burn.

M: holds real well considering the alcohol content. Again this is a different batch. Clean. Easy drinking. A great beer to advance someone who kind of likes ipas.

Overall: bravo stone. I always look forward to these. At first I thought this beer was lacking to its predecessors but as it opened up it became a clean citrus bomb. (1,026 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I was expecting quite a bit from this one going in - considering it was a pain to find in my area at the time - and I think it delivered. Loved the malty profile and the sweet, almost tropical notes to it, great hoppy finish. Medium body, soft carbonation. Surprisingly well balanced. I wish I'd picked up more of it! (317 characters)

Enjoy by 4/20. Bomber to a snifter, really high expectations

Pours a deep gold, perfect balance between yellow and orange with a finger of foam that has some impressive retention. Beautiful transparency and very little carbonation. Nice sticky lacing, five minutes now and almost all the head is still there. I can't find any faults with it

Aroma of strong hops with a powerful grapefruit back bone. Lemon and lime zest pick through along with a nice earthy pine and some grass. Malts are well disguised yet present, sweet bread along with a touch of caramel. A little bit of alcohol comes through on the finish, everything comes together pretty well

Taste- follows the nose well, straight forward hop bomb with a strong grapefruit along with other citrus esters, lime really coming through for me. The malts through in the middle, sweeter than I was expecting but balancing the bitterness well. The end leaves a nice after taste of alcohol and citrus

The feel is pretty good also, very crisp and even with a solid medium body. There's some heat on the way down, as is expected at 9.4% and a week old which is pleasantly warming. Very dry and sticky finish, everything hold up with the rest of the beer

Overall this stuff wasn't quite what I was expecting, but pretty good anyway, as are all of Stone's brews. Working in shipping, I can appreciate the logistics of the beers concept, but wouldn't advise ordering one for 10$ (and then $20 for shipping) online like I did. I'm not sure it will ever come to my region, so I'll probably have to start trading if I want another, in which case I'd recommend it. Really glad I finally got to try this (1,651 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into glass from bottle! Excellent stuff!

A- just a beautiful golden color! fine, light white head.

S- usual fresh ipa smell, citrusy, pretty strong smell

T- delicious, full hop flavor that isn't overbearing. citrus hints. not much malt but it's there. lovely bitter taste.

M - not much carbonation, feels great in motuth.

Overall - amazing! (353 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. of the 04.01.13 bottling purchased at Sahara Mart in Bloomington. 11 oz. poured into a FFF pint glass on March 23rd, 2013.

A - Insanely clear, pilsner or scotch coloring. Frothy, thin, eggshell head. Fair soapy lacing and retention with prominent alcohol legs.

S - Rich sap, pine leaves, prune, Meyer lemon, naval orange, perfume, and huge grassy herbaceous character.

T - I don't want to half-ass here, but everything exactly as prescribed in the nose in complete balance.

M - Medium body, appropriate carbonation, dry and quick finish.

D - I'm almost at a loss for words that Stone has produced something so fucking good. Normally, they drive a lot of hype that is deserved for a larger micro but a bit over the top in perspective of the industry. This is worthy of every praise and is in my top 2 for most drinkable DIPA's I've ever had. Wow.

Edit - I had a considerable amount of the 05.17.13 bottling, and it's not quite as excellent. Still more than worthwhile especially at this pricepoint.

Edit #2 - Revisiting my original review a year later with the 04.20.14 bottling. More dank and herbs and just fabulous melding of flavors. Upticking a few points. (1,176 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%

It pours a lively light gold; the head is just off-white and has a few big bubbles bursting. I get a big, juicy aroma from 10-12 inches away. The head settles within a minute or two to a light covering, and after a few sips to a light ring, leaving the beer looking a bit too quiet, or too much like apple juice.

I smell grapefruit, green apple, mango, pineapple; subtle floral, sweet, and spice notes. Definitely mango and tropical fruit.

Mild carbonation, very smooth feel in the mouth, medium body with lingering tingle of bitterness. The hops flavor is not as intensely fruity as it is on the nose; rather more spice and green flavors emerge with the bitterness. The beer has marvelous balance and perfect harmony of flavors. A nice peak of malty sweetness crests just as the hop bitterness begins to settle in, and they both exit smoothly and slowly, allowing each sip to be fully enjoyed for a full, happy moment. (922 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

05.17.13 batch. Hot dang this is fresh (10 days old).

Picked up a few bottles, opened the first with a friend. Poured into a tulip. Pours an absolute crystal clear pale orange with a large rocky white head on top. Retained well and left bits of lace stuck to the glass. Huge amounts of citrus in the nose - pineapple, grapefruit, mango, honeysuckle. The aroma is so sweet and fresh. Wow. I'd love to scent my home with this.

Crisp, clean mouthfeel. Great carbonation really drives the flavor in this one. A wallop of fresh citrus washes over the palate. Grapefruit, passionfruit, orange - with a really sweet finish. Bitterness is there, but this is so fresh and flavorful, that the bitterness is tamed down in a way. This is dangerously drinkable. One of the best DIPAs I've had the pleasure of having. Keep sending these to NC!! (834 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Maybe the prettiest IPA I've ever seen: absolutely transparent, beautiful golden color, small head that dissipates but I'm still pretty psyched about the color and clarity of this beer. Smell is massive grapefruit hops, some citrus, random hints of random fruits. Insane hop flavor right away! Heavy floral hops, then grapefruit, then citrus, then the massive bittering kicks in. Absolutely coats the mouth. The bitterness is a little higher than I usually like but the fresh hop character is astounding. Aside from the lingering bitterness, the finish is really crisp and dry on this - I just realized this is 9.4% abv and now I'm even more impressed. Way too easy to drink considering its strength. It's easy to love stronger ales but this one really deserves it. (765 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy by 5.17.13, bottled on 4.12.13
This beer was bottled 1 week ago from today, and has made it from the brewery in SoCal to a shelf in my local beer shop in Atl, GA in 1 week. Not sure that has ever happened before!

A - Yellow golden hue with a tiny bit of clarity. Whats impressive here is the 3-4 fingers of head and lace left all over the glass!

S - Ok, this aroma is off the charts. Pine cone galore! Fresh hops. Almost burns your nose hairs off its so pungent. Beautiful

T - Like the smell, off the charts piny hops. Sweet, smooth, well balanced. Delicious!

M - Oily and slick. Well carbonated.

O - A fresh hop lovers dream. Glad to have the last 2 series, after finding the 4.1.13 in NYC last month. 2 in a row have made it to ATL, hoping that trend continues! (775 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone Enjoy By IPA 12.13.13

A: Light to medium copper/golden in hue. Generous lacing.

S: Very piney, with resinous floral hoppy smells.

T: Citrusy with resinous pine tastes. Bitter and fruity with large floral character.

M: Crisp and very fresh tasting.

O: It tingles with freshness, this hoppy piney brew is fantastic! (327 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 5/31/13.

Appearance: Pours a warm, clear golden honey color. Ample carbonation is apparent. About 1.5" of eggshell white head forms, which has great retention and lacing. Very good looking IPA.

Smell: Extremely dank on the nose. Bitter grapefruit and some pineapple and mango notes. Very fresh and clean hop smells. Some bready and caramel malt notes peek out as well, but the hops really shine.

Taste: Bready malts do show themselves initially, as well as perhaps a bit of caramel. The remainder is very sticky, and very dank hop flavors. Citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and sticky hop resins are apparent. Overall, the beer is fairly sweet which is not surprising for a 9.4% ABV beer. However, the finish is pretty dry, which is a nice quality.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with ample carbonation. Very nice. Overall, I thought this was an outstanding IPA. The hop character is very resinous and very pronounced, but all in all the beer has a nice balance. Super. (1,008 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a deviation from my normal reviewing style because I wrote the following in a thread about your personal favorite beer (please read edit at end):

It's a crystal clear pale amber with a bounteous white head of tight bubbles. Just gorgeous to look at! The aroma is what I would imagine heaven would smell like, with wave after wave of wild flowers, tropical fruits (mango, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya), peaches, citrus (tangerine, grapefruit), lemon-grass, FRESH dank hops, and just enough caramel malt to keep it balanced. Almost every time I drink this I have trouble taking the last sip because I know I won't be able to smell it anymore if I do! Then you have the flavor, which, unlike many top rated DIPAs, actually delivers what you smelled with just as much punch, with even more complexity and balance to boot! Every aroma noted is present in the taste in a big way at some point, with additional flavors such as onion grass (a surprising but pleasant addition), a big malt backbone in the middle (but not so big as to take away from the plentiful fresh hops that are on display), and a mild to moderate bitter hop bite at the finish (may be moderate to heavy for some people, but with all the hop bombs I've had it doesn't feel like a ton to me!). This beer is just perfectly balanced, and quite frighteningly drinkable at 9.4%! I could drink this all day every day if it was available and I was rich enough to not have to work! =P

edit - After the last 2 batches available in NJ were just nowhere near as good as the first 3 I had I felt it necessary to alter my scores from the perfect 5s across the board that I had given it. Please realize that I felt those first 3 batches deserved that score, but inconsistency has made me change my mind. I hope they can match the brilliance that was those earlier batches in the future! (1,849 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Potent aroma of citric, floral and grassy hops. Taste is so fresh like the hops are still floating in the beer. Bitter but not lingering bitterness on the tongue. This beer is smooth as it it but especially for a beer over 9%abv. Loved it and so did the people who shared it with me! (283 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE - 2FH that dissipates, foamy, lacing, amber, hazy.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, fruit, citrus.

TASTE - Hops, bitter, pine.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - A little carbonation, dry, lingering, astringent, effervescent, crisp.

VALUE - $8.00 for 1-oz draft. OK.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Another winner from Stone. (312 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been wanting to try this brew for a long time. Just had a bottle of Hop Stoopid so I'll probably be comparing the two. Here goes:

A: Not what I was expecting. Pours a one-inch head, but this readily dissipates. There also doesn't appear to be a ton of carbonation. On the good side, the beer has a ton of lacing and it pours a nice orange-amber color.

S: Whatever the appearance lacked was quickly made up by the smell. This one's a beauty. Straight up pine and citrus, however the pine is spectacular. Probably the pineyist beer I've ever smelled. Tons of grassy floral notes as well. Like being in a pacific northwestern forest.

T: Taste follows the nose, making it spectacular. Lots of pine, citrus, and grapefruit. There's also a lot of malt to balance out the hops, making the beer extremely balanced. Although this beer is rather limited and somewhat expensive, buying it was one of the best decisions I've made in a while.

M: Nice and thick, but not overwhelming. Maybe could've been more carbonated.

O: A spectacular rendition of the WC IPA. (1,073 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 02.15.13 bottled 1/11/13
A : perfect clarity. tiny bit of head. gorgeous orange straw color.

S : Big sweet and piney west coast ipa nose

T : Pine hop character and huge bitterness up front. Orange citrus in the middle with nearly equal sweetness finishing up to really balance the hopiness well.

M : Great mouthfeel for a DIPA. Carbonation is right on if not a tad high but the body is perfect for the style.

O : Excellent DIPA and that is terrific across the board. Definitely not just another hopped up west coast double. (536 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

LOOK: Clear gold with a finger of eggshell white head, that leaves rings of lacing.

SMELL: Holy hops! Super dank, juicy, and tropical. Grapefruit, apricot, peach, pineapple, earth, grass, onion, pine, and resin.

Taste: Super complex and tasty. Follows the nose for the most part. Tastes of a mix of citrus and tropical fruits--grapefruit, orange, apricot, peach, pineapple, papaya, passionfruit, guava, and mango. Takes a sharp turn for acidic, oniony bitterness on the finish, but then smooths out nicely leaving a citrus-pine aftertaste in your mouth. Alcohol is present but barely noticeable for 9.4% abv.

FEEL: Medium-feel, crisp carbonation, with a long resinous finish.

OVERALL: Ridiculously good double IPA. Buy it fresh whenever you're able! (802 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a review of the 09.13.13 IPA. Drank it on 09.04.13.

Got a growler of it from Oliver's Brew Crew in Albany, NY, poured fresh from a keg. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. light copper/golden in color and crystal clear (flitered?) with a thick white head that fades to lacing on the glass. This one is an amazing double IPA. Smells of passion fruit, grapefruit and some mango in the background. Little to no malt in the aroma. The taste starts off slightly sweet and explodes with citrus flavor up front: grapefruit and passion fruit with just enough sweetness to balance it out, but nothing to stand in the way of the hops. Middle gets a bit more fruitiness form the hops: mango. Finishes with a touch of piney resinousness and a light lingering bitterness. A touch of alcohol heat, but it in no way tastes to be the 9.4% it claims.

Overall, just what a DIPA should be. It's a high octane beer that drinks easy. This one is focused intensely on hop flavor and aroma with just enough bitterness and malt to balance the beer out and hide the alcohol content. One of the best DIPAs I've had. (1,108 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Re-reviewing this yet again because now I am now drinking batch # 7 on 4/20/13. I figured since the hop is a cousin of the cannabis, a very fresh IPA was a very appropriate beer for me to enjoy on 4/20/13. Poured into my Stone Arrogant Bastard pint glass, this batch of this beer poured a clear medium golden color, certainly much clearer than the other 2 batches of this beer that I have had the pleasure to drink. Initially with lots of little bubbles rising up to the surface of the beer and a white head about an inch thick initially when poured that settled pretty quickly to a nice medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass along with some swirls of foam here and there covering the beer's surface. Decent lace, but I do also notice that the head retention and lace aren't as good with my serving of batch # 7 as they were with the other 2 batches of this beer that I've drank. Crisp aromas of piney and citrus hops and some nice floral notes as well. Has the nice aforementioned and very fresh piney and citrus resinous hops along with a nice slightly toasted caramel malt flavor. Also has hints of brown sugar, mango, and honey. Very nice and a bit of a different flavor profile from the other 2 batches of this beer that I drank. Has a somewhat crisp and smooth, chewy, somewhat oily, medium to full bodied mouth feel with moderate carbonation. This one really coats the inside of the mouth nicely and doesn't leave any time soon. Very drinkable for a 9.4% ABV beer. Excellent!

Below is my second review of this beer written on 4/13/2013 for batch # 5

ST bottle A-4 S-4.5 T-4.75 MF- 4.5 O-4.75

Re-reviewing this because I am drinking batch # 5. So, even though I did not enjoy this bottle of this batch of Enjoy By by the enjoy by date of 4/01/2013 and am drinking it 12 days late, I think I am still in for an awesome beer drinking experience here Poured out of a bomber into my snifter, this beer pours a clear, but slightly cloudy/hazy, deep medium golden color with a slight copper hue when held up to the light. has a white head about 1 1/4 inch thick when poured that settles fairly quickly to a nice thick white ring lining the inside of my glass with a nice big swirl of foam that covers most of the beer's surface. Decent lacing. Aromas of citrus grapefruit, apricot, earthy hop bitterness, perhaps a hint of pineapple, rounded out with some malty caramel sweetness. Flavors of citrus grapefruit and apricot, earthy hop bitterness, and the hint of pineapple that is all rounded with with some slightly toasted, biscuity caramel malt undertones. Has a very crisp, yet somehow still somewhat smooth and even slightly creamy, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Not the easiest beer to drink per say, but easy to drink in the way good beer ought to be!

Below is my initial review written on 10/31/2013 for batch # 2 of Enjoy By 11/09/12

ST: bottle A-4 S-4.5 T-4.5 MF-4.5 O-4.5

Poured into my tulip glass out of the bomber. This beer pours a fairly clear medium golden color with a white head that is about 2/3 inch thick when first poured. Surprisingly clear and light in color for a double IPA and for a beer from Stone. Head settles pretty quickly to a fairly thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with spotty little clusters of foam dotting the surface of the beer and a decent amount of lace lining the inside of the glass. I wish it had had better head retention. Aromas of potent piney, citrus, grapefruit hops along with touches of mango. Very nice! Has a nice citrus, piney, somewhat earthy hop bitterness upfront that gives way to some nice toasted caramel sweetness. Not as upfront with the hop bitterness as a lot of Stone's other beers are. This beer is incredibly smooth for a beer with 9.4 % ABV. Has a slightly crisp, smooth, and somewhat prickly, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Incredibly easy to drink for a 9.4% ABV beer. An excellent beer and I hope to somehow drink this again somehow!

Eric (3,991 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Worthy Kitchen in Woodstock, VT in their snifter. Enjoy by 7/4/2015
A= Great golden amber with straw colored lasting head.
S= Lots of hops, citrus, pine, resinous, get some alcohol.
T= Tropical, citrus, and pine, all balanced with malt and masking the 9.2 ABV.
M= Full bodied and smooth, moderate carbonation.
O= Very tasty, high fresh hop flavor comes on strong and lasts, but remains balanced and easy to drink, could be dangerous at 9.2% (or perfect). (465 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, 12.13.13, consumed 5 days after bottling, poured into DFH IPA glass. Have enjoyed this many times before, but owe it the full review.

Pours a clear golden body with 100% clarity, a big frothy head of medium and large-sized bubbles, with great retention and lacing, a gorgeous pour.

Smell is very west-coast IPA, with heavy pine needle notes, grapefruit and citrus, floral, somewhat but not overly sweet and malty on the nose.

Taste is bitter right up front with a wave of pine needle hop flavor followed closely by juicy grapefruit and citrus notes, bitterness lingers throughout, sweetness on the back end is evident, not bready though, no alcohol burn to speak of, and bitter aftertaste on the follow-through. Great balance.

Mouthfeel is clean, crisp, moderately carbonated, smooth but not creamy, sticky and dry finish.

Overall, this is one of the best DIPAs out there and for the price point there are really few, if any, which are better options. Drink this as fresh as possible, the hop flavor is beautiful and balances the bitterness, which is necessary given the heavy malt backbone. This is Stone's best beer, for sure. (1,147 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

09.13.13

P: A vivacious clear pale copper orange body with a crown of jiggly off white froth.

S: Smells like your hands after peeling an orange. Crisp citrus hop explosion. Orange, melon, ruby red grapefruit, lemon zest, and toasted malts.

T/M: Orange peel, lemon candy, mint, grapefruit juice, and mango. A sting of alcohol graces the tongue and leaves it tingly. Buttered toast, bubblegum and toasted caramel. Medium-full bodied with a great tingle of carbonation.

O: Crisp bold hops that engulfs your palate and sweeten it with a toasted malt base. I have been waiting to get this as fresh as I could. This is a huge statement for freshness. I love this beer and I can't wait till the next one. (704 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.